[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

the song is called "washington square" by village stompers.

@dramaok - you are the best!! Where did you find this song? I was going crazy last night looking at my itune to find this song. That song got stuck in my brain so when I woke up this morning, I was humming this song.

You still are the best and thank you for finding the tune. :lol:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dramaok

I was reading your post while imagining Soon Duk with her wet puppy eyes and buddha-like poise...

So yes... it came out like that:

*quoted image*

:phew:

LOL can you do one for Eo San too. he was having a moment there and i was like OMG what is happening to Saran's parents. haha. so funny your cap. and what luvyana said. lolx

@dramaok - you are the best!! Where did you find this song? I was going crazy last night looking at my itune to find this song. That song got stuck in my brain so when I woke up this morning, I was humming this song.

i went and looked for the song after i saw Gongjoo and Sohnja dance to it. i really loved that scene, it made such an impression on me and so i went to look for it on naver and i found it. ^^ i guess i was lucky that's all.

==============================================

사랑은 잔인하게 쓰여진다 - 럼블피쉬 최진이

Love is Cruelly Written - Rumble Fish Choi Jini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cpeSU_jQg

Lyric:

사랑은 잔인하게 쓰여진다 - 럼블피쉬 최진이

Love is Cruelly Written - Rumble Fish Choi Jini

추억은 바람에 흩어지고 이별은 나를 삼킨다

찢기고 패여서 지친 내 맘 다시 되 돌린다

기억은 가슴을 도려내고 사랑은 고갤 떨군다

하루 하루 못 잊을 흔적도 이제 지워본다

Memories scatter into the wind as the farewell consumes me.

The torn and beaten and tired heart of mine returns yet again.

Memories cut out my heart and love drops its head.

Day after day I cannot forget, but now I try to erase the traces as well.

슬픈 내 눈물만 아픈 내 가슴만

버려진 것 같아 잊혀진 것 같아

견딜 수 없을 것 같아

My sad tears alone, my aching heart alone.

They seem abandoned, they seem forgotten.

It feels unbearable.

사랑은 그렇게 잔인하다 애달픈 꿈처럼 그려지다

이 못난 가슴을 움켜쥐다 다시 밀어낸다.

사랑은 내게만 잔인하다

서글픈 마음에 눈물이 흐른다

다신 모진 그런사랑 하지 않으련다

Love is cruel, drawn like a heartrending dream.

Clutching this foolish heart of mine, only to shove it away again.

Love is only cruel to me.

With a broken heart, my tears pour.

I shall never love foolishly again.

슬픈 내 눈물만 아픈 내 가슴만

지워질 것 같아 사라질 것 같아

버틸 수 없을 것 같아

My sad tears alone, my aching heart alone.

They seem erased, they seem disappeared.

It feels I won't last.

이 못난 가슴을 움켜쥐다 다시 밀어낸다

사랑은 내게만 잔인하다

서글픈 마음에 눈물이 흐른다

다신 모진 그런사랑 하지 않으련다

With a broken heart, my tears pour.

(brige)

언제까지 어디까지 날 가두고 또 미워해야만 할지

이 가슴에 차디차게 서린 잔인한 사랑

Until when, and until where, must you keep me locked up to resent only.

The one that makes my heart clouded with icy chills, this cruel love.

이 못난 가슴을 움켜쥐다 다시 밀어낸다

사랑은 내게만 잔인하다

지독한 사랑에 눈물이 마른다

다신 모진 그런사랑 하지 않으련다

Love is vicious, and my tears pour.

사랑은 그렇게 잔인하게 쓰여진다

Love is cruelly written like this.

---

연정가 - 김신아

Yeonjeongga (Song of Passion) - Kim Shin Ah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baEWnDosSs8

연정가 - 김신아

Yeonjeongga (Song of Passion) - Kim Shin Ah

스치는 바람에 내 님 소식 전해지려나

텅빈 가슴엔 온통 깊은 한숨만

모진 내 손끝은 다시 춤을추고 웃는다

시린 눈물 삼키고 또 웃는다

Will the grazing wind bring me news of my beloved?

Only a deep sigh covers my vacant heart.

These heavy fingertips of mine dance again and smile.

I swallow the chilled tears and smile again.

어느 새 굳게 닫혀버린 내 맘 뿌옇게 흩어져버린 꿈

바람에 씻긴 낡은 향기처럼 그대 기억도 지워진다

술에 취한 듯 어지러운 내맘 하얗게 사라져버린 길

강물에 흘린 꽃잎따라 정처없이 나도 가보련다

My heart has come to be shut tight, and my scattered dreams are now murky.

Like the battered fragrance awashed by wind, my memory of you is becoming erased.

My heart is dizzy as though drunk by alcohol and the path has disappeared into a pale.

Like the petals flowing in the river aimlessly, I too wander away as well.

스치는 바람에 내 님 소식 전해주려나

텅빈 가슴엔 온통 깊은 한숨만

모진 내 손끝은 다시 춤을추고 웃는다

시린 눈물 삼키고 또 웃는다

타는 듯 진한 눈물은 거두어 가슴속 깊이 묻어두고

찢기고 멍든 내 슬픔도 가시는 길 섶에 숨기련다

I gather my burning tears and bury them deep inside my heart.

My sadness which has been torn and bruised will be hidden behind the path as well.

[brige]

아련한 추억으로 날 감싸고

서글픈 가락에 취해 멍을 달랜다

세상 끝자락에 멀리 던져진 몸

저 하늘이 슬피도 우는구나

I'm rolled into the dimmed reminiscence.

Drunken by the sad melody, as I soothe my bruise.

The body pitched to the end of the world.

The sky is moaning planintively.

스치는 바람에 내 님 소식 전해지려나

텅빈 가슴엔 온통 깊은 한숨만

모진 내 손끝은 다시 춤을추고 웃는다

시린 눈물 삼키고 또 웃는다

부는 저 바람이 내 님에게 전해주려나

억센 파도에 꺾인 이내 마음을

모진 내 손끝은 다시 춤을추고 웃는다

시린눈물 삼키고 또 웃는다

Will the blowing wind relate it to my beloved?

My heart snapped by the roaring waves.

@ dramaok - Thanks for the song. =)

@ watchumot - Song downloaded, transfered on to iphone, ear phones pulled in, dance moves copied...

100% translated to fun, fun , fun.

kekekekek

YOu guys should do it tooo....

here is the download link i found.

by the way... its part of jazz genre.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/ZIhQKWrb/The_Village_Stompers-_Washingt.htm

@loctorine- pahahahaha. =)

Enjoyed it much.

@dotoh- thank you.

The signs of looniness were all there right from the beginning, if only one cared to read them.

The first scene itself with Gong Joo gyrating to the (what song was it - the Wooly Booly ??? :-) ) with the Thief watching her and swaying along, was a sign in itself.....

thanks for all the links to that song ~

actually when i first saw the scene. i recognised it as a famous canto song by HK singer Sam hui ithe 80s , this is really very famous song telling youngster how to be good students sort of ^^ = haha i even thought the director so into Hong kong stuff after the shark fin soup..he had to include this song . .i didnt realise the origins of the song till today lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmNfCAshRs&feature=related

Guest kobe23

hmm very surprising that song is from an American group. When I first heard the instrumentals I thought it was Japanese!

@dramaok - you are the best!! Where did you find this song?  I was going crazy last night looking at my itune to find this song.  That song got stuck in my brain so when I woke up this morning, I was humming this song.

You still are the best and thank you for finding the tune. :lol:

I'll second that she's the best!  Not being able to remember drove me crazy. 

I even made my son use the shazam program on his phone to try and identify the song.  He said it didn't work ... probably because the song is OLD.  I told him that I know that it's old because I heard the song years ago.  sheesh ...   When I told him this morning that it was from 1963, his response was, 'see, I told you it was really OLD'.  (Of course, 2005 is old to him...)  :blink:

BTW, here's a rap version of the song:  http://youtu.be/Ke9vm_0u6Pw

And, I finally remember where they play this song a lot.  This is one of the songs they play at New Orlean-style funerals.

maybe saran's dad?

---

Ahoxan updated his blog for those who follow.

The snoring was so loud that it must have been both the mom and dad.   And, what I got out of that was that GJ and SJ could safely hold a conversation without the big prying ears of the mother.

BTW, the stylist for the drama must have gotten complaints because WSM's 1930's Shirley Temple curls have been replaced with a 1960's Flip hairstyle.  I guess the hairstyle was to keep pace with GJ's music and dance choices.   :P

Ahoxan has a blog?!  Where? :o

After watching the preview of ep 25, can anyone who understands Korean tell us what the Manager at Gaeseang House said about what condition gaesangs can leave the place? Does it mean the gaesang has to get married?

Is it just me? The gaesang that get beaten up and then get kicked out is barbaric in this time and age. I found it kind of unacceptable in this times. Who would accept such ill treatment and then get sacke? Come on! the writer needs to get with the times. This is not a 50's drama.

However, I am still watching this because of A-Damo.

hmm very surprising that song is from an American group.  When I first heard the instrumentals I thought it was Japanese!

I was shocked to learn the origin is Dixieland Jazz, all the time I thought it was American/Irish folk using a banjo.  Who knew? That track is used on a lot of (American) movie soundtracks, it is almost iconic.  

After watching the preview of ep 25, can anyone who understands Korean tell us what the Manager at Gaeseang House said about what condition gaesangs can leave the place? Does it mean the gaesang has to get married?

Is it just me? The gaesang that get beaten up and then get kicked out is barbaric in this time and age. I found it kind of unacceptable in this times. Who would accept such ill treatment and then get sacke? Come on! the writer needs to get with the times. This is not a 50's drama.

However, I am still watching this because of A-Damo.

The preview of e25 is such a tease ! and it's killing me!

my guess is - it's about EXCLUSIVITY, meaning as long as a client pay the right price, he can have SOLE right/use of that gisaeng, she will be kept in the house but not required to serve other customers.

in e21, Ah Soo-Ra told Ra-Ri that one of his friend, who is 56yo with a much younger wife, just had a baby girl. Though he don't like the idea of fathering a child at that age, he does seems to be full of admiration.

what if....what if.... he went to BuYongGak... saw what Damo is doing, and decides the only way to rescue his son is to keep SaRan as his mistress ???

:tears:

I agree the flogging is barbaric, but still... the house rules are not there for no reason and certain rules shouldn't be broken...

Caning is a corporal punishment still in practice in many countries..

Guest dramaok

the condition was not to leave Buyonggak, but to be together with a man as a Buyonggak gisaeng.

however, it's possible that being with a man could lead to leaving Buyonggak, and no longer living as a gisaeng.

the issue of raising a gisaeng's hair is confusing for Koreans as well, but in traditional sense, it means losing virginity. once a gisaeng girl has had her first experience, she becomes a gisaeng woman, and can have her hair up, in elaborate flower-like hair.

i think it's a confusing topic and also, sensitive topic but it has led to a lot of misunderstanding. raising a gisaeng's hair does not mean she is a prostitute, in my understanding. it means she is gisaeng who has had a man and is a grown up, and also it raises their status. they can come and go from the gibang (gisaeng house), unlike girls who do not have their hair raised yet. usually the hairs needs to be raised by a scholar or noble status, and they give the gisaeng house a lot of money for the right to raise her hair. if a gisaeng gets her hair raised by someone who is very high in status, it elevates her status among the gisaengs as well.

in this drama, i am not sure what writer Im will do with the hair-raising topic. she could use it to mean spending a night, or she could mean something else. i'm not sure.

sorry if this is more confusing, but i want to stress it is actually a status-elevating experience for a gisaeng, instead of lower.

please correct if i got it wrong. hopefully we will learn more about it next week.

---

on the flogging. i think it's gotten a lot of bad press about it too. i think it was just a bit shocking to most viewers and for a drama that's already "gone to the deep end" it's another issue to raise. for me, i'm fine with it if it's really the traidion of Buyonggak and everyone is fully aware of it, but it seems to me Sa Ran was not 100% aware of it or something and in that case I would take some issue w/ it.

Guest kawaiiyuki

thanks for all the links to that song ~

actually when i first saw the scene. i recognised it as a famous canto song by HK singer Sam hui ithe 80s , this is really very famous song telling youngster how to be good students sort of ^^ = haha i even thought the director so into Hong kong stuff after the shark fin soup..he had to include this song . .i didnt realise the origins of the song till today lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LmNfCAshRs&feature=related

Yeap i recongized the song once it started playing. Maybe the director is into HK things. that song is actually one of my favorites. It's a bit older then me since i was born in mid 80s but i love it.

We've got some one sided love lines i see. So far head giaseng still has her crush and doesn't know about head kitchen lady relationship with her crush. Doesn't that mirror sr and rr before rr found out about dm.

I wonder if we're still going to get rr sr and dm triange since we're still currently on rr and her bio mom issue.

I feel kinda bad for rr who's family is kinda broken but i can understand why rr can't be with her bio mom. In her eyes bio mom was always aunty and now with the truth reveal it doesn't mean she can got from aunty to mom in a flash.

I just wrote some random thoughts on the drama but guess what, it vanished - i.e. lost connection just as i was posting - what a bummer !

In short:

1) was admiring Rara's take on hearing the news of all her "parents"

2) wondering what value finishing off some of the grand-parents early on added to the drama. I can still hear Ra Ra's Grandpa singing "Bunny Bunny"

3) remembered how some scenes of Sohn Ja and Ra Ra at diiner, their phone call etc. seemed to hint at some bonding, attraction. Of course now we know that would be incest. Anyway Sohn Ja & Gongjoo make the natural couple.

and more later

I'm saving last week and this week's episodes to be watched together :)

geum kang san reminds me of HYUN BIN, especially when he smiles. he's like the older version. please please look at him closely and tell me i'm not the only one. i find him endearing too, he's sort of a pacifist but i see that he genuinely loves his children so i'm going to say he's a good guy :)

oh and again, does anyone know the actor who plays the young dr geum eo san? i really really like him, even though he's kinda ash-pale haha. thanks.

Archived