Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

16 hours ago, sagaseed said:

Somehow I think the reason he marched off the stage immediately was because he didn't think it's right to bask in the applause of audience when he is performing as a soldier. Anyone notice his complexion from one of the close up shots in the video?  Am sure he did not receive celebrity treatment for performing on stage. The organiser is really smart to make use of his talent but I want to thank them for giving us a chance to see an awesome performance from JW  in soldier uniform. 

I loved it how soldier like he was when he went out of the stage just after the performance. He didn't wait for the applause, he just performed, thanked and stepped down from the stage. While it was sad as a fan but it also makes me a bit proud that he not acting like a celebrity just because they took advantage of his talent. :)

After fan signing, he was leaving with gifts from fans. 

I see the letter in his hand that Joo Won Supporters prepared for him. :)

I think we JW Fans are very lucky..We're constantly receiving his news, someday his new photos..he is being shown in national TV news, he is doing fan sign event not just for one day but THREE days, he's performing in the stage for the public.. I thought there won't be any news after he starts his MS. I'm really thankful.. I hope he keeps doing well and come back safely. :D

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I loved it how soldier like he was when he went out of the stage just after the performance. He didn't wait for the applause, he just performed, thanked and stepped down from the stage. While it was sad as a fan but it also makes me a bit proud that he not acting like a celebrity just because they took advantage of his talent. 

Same. I really like that he's adapting his behaviour to suit the context that he's in. Keeping it simple and straightforward like that, to me, suggests two things. First, as you've said, that "he's not acting like a celebrity". Secondly, that his performance may have been dedicated towards something other than the fans. For instance, while many musical performances are now held in churches, I grew up being taught that it's inappropriate to applaud after a church choir or band or whatever plays a hymn. There is a difference between performance for an audience and performance for, in that case, God - and, for JW's case, the nation (keeping in mind all of this was done to commemorate Korea's Liberation Day). The way I read his behavior is that he left the stage right away so that any applause that does come cannot be for him, because he's no longer around to take the credit.

Not to mention that I've noticed he's rather unassuming to begin with - the number of times I've seen him visibly startle when confronted by crowds of fans tells me that although he appreciates their applause, he never allows himself to expect it or feel entitled to it.

47 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I think we JW Fans are very lucky..We're constantly receiving his news, some his photos..he is being shown in national TV news, he is doing fan sign event not just for one day but THREE days, he's performing in the stage for the public.. I thought there won't be any news after he starts his MS. I'm really thankful.. I hope he keeps doing well and come back safely. :D

You echo my sentiments exactly. I hope that above all else, he stays out of trouble, and continues to put as much time and effort into his service as he has thus far into his acting.

I also now want to give a huge thanks to everyone who's been tracking down these videos and photos: @stearly @airplanegirl @flutterby06 @lavender2love and any others I might have missed. So far, this forum is the only mention I've seen of what appears to be a pretty large-scale event that's been buzzing on social media in Korea. I'm amazed - and somewhat disenchanted, possibly even appalled - that big English-language Korean entertainment news sites like allkpop, Dramafever, and, yes, even Soompi haven't mentioned this AT ALL. Like, seriously - what gives?

(And, yes, I know I'm biased - by the way, I love that the Hallyu fandom term for one's favourite celebrity is "bias", because that's really what it is - but I thought this would be a pretty big deal just by its scale.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Not to mention that I've noticed he's rather unassuming to begin with - the number of times I've seen him visibly startle when confronted by crowds of fans tells me that although he appreciates their applause, he never allows himself to expect it or feel entitled to it

True.. He's genuinely humble. Which is one of his biggest charming side to me. 

@kittyna, You're most welcome. I'm happy to share all these with fellow JW fans. I'm glad the thread became lot more lively recently. I joined just a few weeks before MSG but it was too calm here. Now It feels great to see all of you sharing your opinion. :)

I love it how his superior is calling him Moon Jun. We rarely hear people calling him by his real same.. His nameplate showing MOON :D

What's his designation? Anyone here knows?

• Like 3

@flutterby06  "I loved it how soldier like he was when he went out of the stage just after the performance. He didn't wait for the applause, he just performed, thanked and stepped down from the stage. While it was sad as a fan but it also makes me a bit proud that he not acting like a celebrity just because they took advantage of his talent. :)    '

@kittyna " Same. I really like that he's adapting his behaviour to suit the context that he's in. Keeping it simple and straightforward like that, to me, suggests two things. First, as you've said, that "he's not acting like a celebrity". Secondly, that his performance may have been dedicated towards something other than the fans. For instance, while many musical performances are now held in churches, I grew up being taught that it's inappropriate to applaud after a church choir or band or whatever plays a hymn. There is a difference between performance for an audience and performance for, in that case, God - and, for JW's case, the nation (keeping in mind all of this was done to commemorate Korea's Liberation Day). The way I read his behavior is that he left the stage right away so that any applause that does come cannot be for him, because he's no longer around to take the credit.

Not to mention that I've noticed he's rather unassuming to begin with - the number of times I've seen him visibly startle when confronted by crowds of fans tells me that although he appreciates their applause, he never allows himself to expect it or feel entitled to it."

@flutterby06 and @kittyna I like both your thoughtful views on how and why JW walked off the stage briskly and without fanfare. The fact you all pointed out is he is an exemplary man. His action suggests as you said. he sang as a service to his country. It was an honour and perhaps a " duty " . It's not about him. It shows the man he is.

Regarding the fan gift. See the two sprays of lavender ? It's simple, earthy and beautiful. Do you think the fans are sending a symbol of his YP drama in which he won the the highest award as an appreciation? In on exciting episode, when he needed money desperately for his sister's treatment, Yeo Jin the heiress struck a deal with him for 1 billion won which she wired through her Swizt Bank speaking in French for the money transfer. So cool. The password was LAVENDER IN PROVENCE  ( hahaha that's where I got mu user name, changing love for provence. Tae Hyun gave Yeo Jin a pot of lavender in hospital to help her recover from near death. Finally Lavender was also featured when Jw's character wanted to show his love for her healing by filling the orangery with lavender.

Fans are very perceptive. So nice the gift.

Spoiler

907743e80fdd69438141ccc4cb6529ce.jpg

Spoiler

y9.jpg

20589963_588708221299485_401017553938494

Spoiler

• Like 4

12 hours ago, stearly said:

@lavender2love

Thank you for your advices and experience. I finally managed to login so maybe I'll learn to use the new soompi someday. :)

I'm glad we have a glimpse of Joo Won while he is serving, I thought we'll not see him the long two years and now we even have his perfomances. Let it be so on. I hope he'll be healthy and will come back safely.

credit: JW dc inside

@stearly ?! REALLY She is back?!

I am so glad to see Our Joo Won performing and that he seems to be adapting so well! I can feel manliness oozing out from him which makes me proud but at the same time I miss him being cute. °▪°

Do you all see the Green bars on his shoulders? It is the indication that he is the Assistant Instructor in Army.I am not expert at this but I did watch a good amount of Real Man and know some.Normally Sergeant will lead while the lower ranks demostrate how things are done.But they also do decent amt of shoutings to recruits.Imagine him giving orders to them...AND SHOUTING?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Do you all see the Green bars on his shoulders? It is the indication that he is the Assistant Instructor in Army.I am not expert at this but I did watch a good amount of Real Man and know some.Normally Sergeant will lead while the lower ranks demostrate how things are done.But they also do decent amt of shoutings to recruits.Imagine him giving orders to them...AND SHOUTING?

I'm actually really curious about what it means to be an Assistant Instructor in the military - to be honest, I know next to nothing about how Korea's military works save that enlistment is mandatory and that enlisted soldiers work their way up the ranks from Recruit to Sergeant. So, would an Assistant Instructor be one of the demonstrators, then?

I tried looking it up online, but maybe I wasn't doing it right, because I either got stuff about Korean language instruction, Korean War histories, or articles about various celebrities being promoted to the post over the years (besides JW, I also saw articles like that about Rain and Yoo Seung Ho).

As for the shouting, I daresay he'd be able to keep any new recruits on their toes. One of my personal favourite examples - besides the gazillion such scenes in "Gaksital", of course - is the clip from "Kim Tak Gu" that shows up in this interview for Hallyu World.

If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing, you can start at 2:15 - but just an advance warning, especially to earphones users: you WILL be blasted. No joke - I've watched this video many times and still jump a foot at Ma Jun's "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!" that seems to come just out of nowhere.

In regards to some of the other points in the video, though - I have no idea how the host's spiel on JW's family background wound up so far off. :tongue:

• Like 3

@Ma OO " I am so glad to see Our Joo Won performing and that he seems to be adapting so well! I can feel manliness oozing out from him which makes me proud but at the same time I miss him being cute. °▪°

Do you all see the Green bars on his shoulders? It is the indication that he is the Assistant Instructor in Army."

@kittyna " So, would an Assistant Instructor be one of the demonstrators, then? "

Hey peeps @Ma OO and @kittyna you got me curious and looking peering at shoulders, ( hmmnnnn..... very broad like belonging to buff chest heheh )  body ( army fatigue doesn't hide a good form ) for the green bars / patch. Ahhhh.... I see it..... after a long scrutiny..... my pleasure.

Can someone confirm his ranking ? And in what capacity he assist in ? Field or office ?

DGX_TEwXcAAQz5T.jpg

DGmLUiaVoAAgtP7.jpg

DGmLUzHUwAEN9ym.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, airplanegirl said:

@lavender2love Joo Won is in active service, so he assist in field exercises. Office is for public service or celebrity unit. 

According to DC, he's a Sergeant. Sergeant Gaksital as the netizens love to call him.

No. He is not sergeant. But future Sergeant. Sergeant wears the rank that has 4 bars.He only has one bar for now.(You can check the rank on uniform by looking at the number of bars below the tag that said Dae Han Min guk  ) Also it is impossible to promote him from recruit to Sergeant directly.The promotion to Sergeant rank is achievable by decent numbers of soldiers but how fast they can achieve it depends on their performance.

@lavender2love He did well during training,hence he is future Army instructor but now is just assistant instructor. He is in active exercise so other than doing field exercises,he will also have to train to be in war. 

@kittyna That is such a old video that I've kind of forgotten XD

I am not saying Joo Won cannot shout but more of something  out of his character. Acting is another thing but here he is in fact will be shouting in reality in military style.It is very different and need much confidence,decisiveness and be as authoritative as possible. .I know Joo Won is strict as Uee stated and the way he conduct himself to control crazy fans screaming. but For me,he is more of charismatic man who can get things done just by speaking seriously and calmly. Because of this nature of his,I am excited to see him actually acting all mighty and scaring away all the recruits. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Ma OO said:

No. He is not sergeant. But future Sergeant. Sergeant wears the rank that has 4 bars.He only has one bar for now.(You can check the rank on uniform by looking at the number of bars below the tag that said Dae Han Min guk  ) Also it is impossible to promote him from recruit to Sergeant directly.The promotion to Sergeant rank is achievable by decent numbers of soldiers but how fast they can achieve it depends on their performance.

I really have no idea, I just see his fans jokingly call him 'Sergeant.' Thanks for the information! 

18 minutes ago, Ma OO said:

@kittyna That is such a old video that I've kind of forgotten XD

I always laugh at the part where the host says 'he has many older sisters.' I mean... He kinda does have a nuna... But he's dating her... Wonder if that counts?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ma OO said:

Thanks for that info! I have a feeling that JW will progress well, at his own pace and by his own efforts. If he's promoted too quickly, people would suspect nepotism, and I don't want that to happen.

1 hour ago, airplanegirl said:

I always laugh at the part where the host says 'he has many older sisters.' I mean... He kinda does have a nuna... But he's dating her... Wonder if that counts?

lol - When I first watched the video and that bit came up, I was really confused; in reference to 1N2D Season 2, there are some cast members who, if I recall correctly, are the only son with multiple older sisters, but JW isn't one of them. Maybe the host mixed him up with one of those? Or made a Freudian slip regarding his many noona fans? :D

And now you just reminded me that even prior to his actual relationship with BoA going public, I always imagined he would end up with a noona. I don't know why I thought that, but I just did.

1 hour ago, Ma OO said:

I am not saying Joo Won cannot shout but more of something  out of his character. Acting is another thing but here he is in fact will be shouting in reality in military style.It is very different and need much confidence,decisiveness and be as authoritative as possible. .I know Joo Won is strict as Uee stated and the way he conduct himself to control crazy fans screaming. but For me,he is more of charismatic man who can get things done just by speaking seriously and calmly. Because of this nature of his,I am excited to see him actually acting all mighty and scaring away all the recruits. 

Good point. I recall UEE's comment as well (it's from the "Ojakgyo Brothers" episode of "Happy Together", if anyone's wondering). Personally, I think he'd be the sort to lead by charisma and example, with shouting and other such displays of authority being a last resort. I do know from 1N2D, though, that he can shout to get his point across if needed.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ma OO said:

@lavender2love He did well during training,hence he is future Army instructor but now is just assistant instructor. He is in active exercise so other than doing field exercises,he will also have to train to be in war. 

Thank you @Ma OO for the explanation. Nice that you took time to do that . Appreciate it.  It's good to know that even in the army, he stands out. You seem to know alot about the army.

@stearly Love your gifs . Did you do them yourself ? Who is the person in orange jacket ? It's an unusual colour for an army personnel. So bright and easily spotted by the enemy. Unless of course if he is the talk host.... but then not... he has a star on his epaulet. Also he's wearing a peaked cap and ot a beret.

bf00d19b9888.gif&key=6d549af34777277b88c  bf00d19b9888.gif&key=6d549af34777277b88c

@airplanegirl Wow.... girl .. !! You changed your profile picture to MS JW . Cool ... !!! But isn't this a second change ? I thought I saw a different one just before this. 

@flutterby06 Thanks for the the videos . Yes " warm welcome " for a talented soldier.

Gosh did he sing in the hot sun ? It's funny wearing a floppy hat. I guess it's standard for outdoors.

• Like 2

You know, it suddenly occurred to me the number on each of these  pictures are his fans counting the days of him being discharged . Wow .... what loyalty. They are to be highly recommended. I just pick randomly.

At first I thought D560 ( pic above ) is her name. Now I know it is not. Kudos to her to fidnd a way of expressing her love and waiting for him.

I think Lai-Zu is the creator. I wonder if she can come over here with her daily report. It'll be a service to us... hehe.

20184158_223100794879948_190363877385017

20214081_154388365127323_418767516895019

20214288_1998096137090016_37672095443929

Credit : Lai_zu

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lavender2love said:

You know, it suddenly occurred to me the number on each of these  pictures are his fans counting the days of him being discharged . Wow .... what loyalty. They are to be highly recommended. I just pick randomly.

That...is a BRILLIANT observation!

And I have to say that Lai_zu is also brilliant for using a military shorthand to count down to the date of JW's discharge.

From Today I Found Out's article on "What Does the "D" in "D-Day" Stand For?" - http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/01/v-v-day-victory-right-d-d-day-stand/

"D-day referred to the “day” on which a combat attack would occur with H-hour likewise referring to the “hour” when an attack is scheduled to happen. Thus, the “D” is just a placeholder or variable for the actual date, and probably originally was meant to stand for “date” or “day” (if anything), if the associated “H-hour” is any indication.

"[...]

"As for handling the pre-D-day preparations and the plan for after, adding a plus or minus sign and a number after the “D” was used. For example, D-1 would indicate the day before the operation occurring while D+3 would mean three days after the operation." (emphasis mine)

So not only is Lai_zu a super-loyal fan by doing a 21-month-long countdown to JW's discharge, but she is honouring JW's military service by doing it in a way that would be familiar to the military itself.

• Like 2

@lavender2love In my country,guys have to go to army too for 2 years.Most of my male friends have done it.Although everything is different from Korean army,the ranking of the soldiers is the similar.

Also,I was a fan of Korean variety show "Real Men" which celebrities experience the lives in army.From there,I realised that most of the leaders and instructors wear green bars on their shoulders and lead the way.(Plus tons of shouting) 

• Like 3