Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

@Shellenna Thanks for sharing the photos - and welcome to this forum :)

@flutterby06 And speaking of photos, I love the MSG silhouette one you posted. Regardless of the subject, it's just a gorgeous photograph, period.

@sagaseed That's still really awesome that you were able to attend a fan-meeting, even if it did seem to pass by in a blur. The chances of that happening here in Canada are slim to none, and I oftentimes don't even know there was a fan-meeting (not just for JW, but in general) until after the fact and photos start popping up online.

Honestly, I have no idea how I would react to knowingly seeing a celebrity in real life; I expect that it would be easier to stay dignified if I simply liked him/her for his/her acting, singing, etc. but if it involves their off-screen persona as well (as it does with JW)...then I really don't know. I doubt I'd be one of those who screams or freaks out like the ones you see in the "Guerrilla Date" videos, though. My real-life reaction would probably be just to stare at a distance and take a fan-cam shot, because I think I'd be too scared to even ask for an autograph or a selca or anything of the sort.

lol - This is why those cardboard cut-outs scattered throughout Seoul really come in handy. I went there once, last year, and did a bit of a "Celebrity Endorsement Scavenger Hunt", just to see whom I could recognize. Not many, as it turns out, since A ) I don't listen to K-pop outside of K-drama OSTs, so any idol references just slipped by me, and B ) this was in the June after "Descendants of the Sun" was aired, so it was pretty much Song Joong Ki everywhere :) I was staying in Myeongdong, so I think that if I actually had the time to explore the two major department stores (Lotte and Shinsegae) from top to bottom, I could find some more; but I didn't have that opportunity, because I wasn't planning on shopping there (WAY too expensive for me).

• Like 4

10 hours ago, sagaseed said:

@lavender2love Yes, I attended the same 2016 BKK fan meet with @rionae but it was my FIRST time meeting Joo Won in person! BKK is so close to SG so I thought that was the only chance for me to see him before his enlistment. It still feels surreal that I have met him (and yes, shake his hand too!). I was asked to pen a fan account but I doubts about my writing skills and I knew @rionae could write an amazing piece (and she did!). From my seat (different side and row from rionae), I couldn't take nice photos of him with my miserable mobile either. But I was verrrrrry lucky to be seated on the same side and one row in front of his parents so JW kept facing this side of the audience while singing. All those moments, it seems as though he was singing to me muahahaha.. I don't think I need to tell everyone how impressive his live singing was. I was sooooo star-struck during the couple shot that I forgot how his hand felt. Maybe I was too focused on telling him I'm from Singapore (to let him know he has supporters from SG) and making sure I face the camera (before the cameraman snapped the photo) that I forgot his touch. Everything happened in like 2 seconds..?!? I wish I have another chance to attend his fan meet again because his performance on stage is so awesome!

I'm impressed @sagaseed . When last we talked about Yong Pal , you were then helping to translate the interviews And  from there you said you were so impacted by Joo Won personality. And now I know you actually went and had a fantastic time. Wow.... !!! You shook his hand . Thank you for sharing that interesting account.

And now he's in MS.

20481929_490478924663801_854857248498148

@kittyna

" lol - This is why those cardboard cut-outs scattered throughout Seoul really come in handy. I went there once, last year, and did a bit of a "Celebrity Endorsement Scavenger Hunt", just to see whom I could recognize. Not many, as it turns out, since A ) I don't listen to K-pop outside of K-drama OSTs, so any idol references just slipped by me, and B ) this was in the June after "Descendants of the Sun" was aired, so it was pretty much Song Joong Ki everywhere :) I was staying in Myeongdong, so I think that if I actually had the time to explore the two major department stores (Lotte and Shinsegae) from top to bottom, I could find some more; but I didn't have that opportunity, because I wasn't planning on shopping there (WAY too expensive for me). "

You flew such a long distance for your Korean experience ? You're really a Korean drama convert >

Hope you too have @sagaseed and @rionae experience.

• Like 3

So, 3 to 5 August.. JW fans in Korea are having an awesome opportunity while their favorite actor is serving a military. It's nice to see him doing well and doing a fan sign even when serving military is very surprising.  :D

Imagine my happiness when yesterday I was leisurely searching #joowon on IG only expecting some fan edited picture but discovering photos of him doing fan sign even in uniform!! 

DGTgTSiVYAIG3u6.jpg

This one is from today I guess..

DGX_TEwXcAAQz5T.jpg

One of the host from Cultwo Show went there may be just for the festival.

• Like 4

Does anyone know if the fan-sign was for some sort of event? I see a lot of tents in that last photo, and I doubt that the military would hold one just because they have celebrities in their midst.

Please forgive me if it's actually explained in the captions already - I can sound out hangeul fairly well, but that doesn't mean I can actually read Korean.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, sagaseed said:

I couldn't take nice photos of him with my miserable mobile either. But I was verrrrrry lucky to be seated on the same side and one row in front of his parents so JW kept facing this side of the audience while singing. All those moments, it seems as though he was singing to me muahahaha..

His parents were there? WoW... :o

Thanks for sharing your experience.. Aaah..you're so lucky.

@sagaseed, at least you did something with Joo Won Cuties.. Joo Won Cuties played a big part for international fans to get to know JW better. Before finding JWC, I used to see his interviews from KBS only as they're usually released with sub in YouTube. But then found JWC and saw so many interviews. I used to avoid unsubbed videos but after watching so many JW videos with eng sub , recently I found out that I don't need subtitles to see JW videos anymore. His way of talking and the words he usually uses to express some common questions are now very familiar to me.

Of course three years of watching K-Drama with sub helped. But JWC cuties helped a lot too.

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

@flutterby06 And speaking of photos, I love the MSG silhouette one you posted. Regardless of the subject, it's just a gorgeous photograph, period.

Thanks..  You can see more photos uploaded by Huayi Brothers in this link.

http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=8218516&memberNo=31542741 

This one is now one of my favorites. :)

7248.jpg?type=w1200

I get the idea what people mean when they say that he has a tiny face from phots like these..

7242.jpg?type=w1200

7397.jpg?type=w1200

Hey I see someone new here. Hi @Shellenna, Welcome to Joo Won's thread.. :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I get the idea what people mean when they says he has a tiny face from phots like these..

With JW, I always feel that the small face is an optical illusion: proportionately, I think he's got broader cheekbones than many of the male Hallyu stars his age, but that leads to him having a sharper/pointier jawline by matter of contrast (which is what the "small face" trait is actually referring to).

But hey, it works :)

Besides, wider cheekbones = chubbier cheeks = dimples. And no one here is gonna complain about that! :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lavender2love said:

You flew such a long distance for your Korean experience ? You're really a Korean drama convert >

Sorry for not including this in my previous response - noticed it a moment after I hit "Submit" :tongue:

Well, I certainly can't do it often, but yes, I did go once. The flight's long, but anyone living here in North America with friends and family still in Asia has experience it at some point or other. When you think about it in those terms, it's really not that bad.

Sadly, while I was there, I didn't see any JW cut-outs - I still think I just wasn't in the know enough to look in the right places. The memorabilia stores and street stalls also didn't appear to have his merchandise. Just a tally: I saw a lot of stuff for various K-pop idol groups, Lee Min Ho, Kim Soo Hyun, Lee Jong Suk, Park Hae Jin, Song Joong Ki...even Song Il Kook's triplets - who are, by the way, absolutely adorable and I wound up buying some of their stuff. But no Joo Won. I knew to expect that, though, because in one episode of "Happy Together", he'd told an anecdote about his mother trying to find socks with his caricature on them (yes, there are socks with celebrity chibis on them - I saw some), but was told that there weren't any. Again, going back to the "No" side of the "Hallyu or not?" question.

However, I did see something awesome. Just by fluke, one television network (I think it was Fashion TV or something like that) was showing K-drama reruns, and I stumbled across "Nae Il's Cantabile" that way while channel surfing. So I managed to watch bits and pieces of JW's acting that way. :)

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Does anyone know if the fan-sign was for some sort of event? I see a lot of tents in that last photo, and I doubt that the military would hold one just because they have celebrities in their midst.

Please forgive me if it's actually explained in the captions already - I can sound out hangeul fairly well, but that doesn't mean I can actually read Korean.

I was wondering too... Then @airplanegirl came with the answer.

Joo Won is doing this signing event for 1 hour in these three days. :)

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, kittyna said:

But no Joo Won. I knew to expect that, though, because in one episode of "Happy Together", he'd told an anecdote about his mother trying to find socks with his caricature on them

Aah..That Happy Together Episode with Good Doctor cast is my absolute favorite. I sometimes watch it as a stress reliever as the whole episode is funny. Jeon Manshik and Joo Sang Wook are so funny. Watching Joo Won laughing at their stories by leaning from one hyung to another like a little boy makes me smile.

There are many other HT appearances of JW but this one is my most played one. :D

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Aah..That Happy Together Episode with Good Doctor cast is my absolute favorite. I sometimes watch it as a stress reliever as the whole episode is funny. Jeon Manshik and Joo Sang Wook are so funny. Watching Joo Won laughing at their stories by leaning from one hyung to another like a little boy makes me smile.

The episode I was talking about was the "Fashion People" episode that he did with fellow "Fashion King" actors Shin Ju Hwan and Ahn Jae Hyun. I didn't know at the time that SJH was one of JW's BFFs, but in hindsight...the editors didn't know what they were missing by cutting his part out so much in favour of JW and AJH. I've since watched SJH in "Life Log", and he sounds like a really fun guy to hang out with :)

The "Good Doctor" special was awesome, too. I especially loved the "Late Night Cafeteria" segment: for those unfarmiliar with it, it's when each of the guests had to bring a homemade snack to share with the group, with the requirement that it would be both inexpensive and quick/easy. The main hosts would try each dish and then, based on their responses, everyone votes on which of the guests' offerings they'd like to try as a group. The guest in question then makes some on the spot for everyone, and then they vote on whether it's a winner (i.e. liked by more than half the group). In this episode, it was JW's dish that made it through, if I recall correctly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Sorry for not including this in my previous response - noticed it a moment after I hit "Submit" :tongue:

Well, I certainly can't do it often, but yes, I did go once. The flight's long, but anyone living here in North America with friends and family still in Asia has experience it at some point or other. When you think about it in those terms, it's really not that bad.

Sadly, while I was there, I didn't see any JW cut-outs - I still think I just wasn't in the know enough to look in the right places. The memorabilia stores and street stalls also didn't appear to have his merchandise. Just a tally: I saw a lot of stuff for various K-pop idol groups, Lee Min Ho, Kim Soo Hyun, Lee Jong Suk, Park Hae Jin, Song Joong Ki...even Song Il Kook's triplets - who are, by the way, absolutely adorable and I wound up buying some of their stuff. But no Joo Won. I knew to expect that, though, because in one episode of "Happy Together", he'd told an anecdote about his mother trying to find socks with his caricature on them (yes, there are socks with celebrity chibis on them - I saw some), but was told that there weren't any. Again, going back to the "No" side of the "Hallyu or not?" question.

However, I did see something awesome. Just by fluke, one television network (I think it was Fashion TV or something like that) was showing K-drama reruns, and I stumbled across "Nae Il's Cantabile" that way while channel surfing. So I managed to watch bits and pieces of JW's acting that way. :)

@kittyna So nice you watched JW in Cantabile . Check this out .... I found the old fans were talking about this on page 283 and we are now at 2721. I wonder wher they are now?

Dear old fans....please come and meet the new fans like @hibiscus23 and @kittyna You have not been here since 2500 pages ago ?

Old fans on page 283 ( I just happened to come across you ) @farbarri, @0708july who posted awesome pictures . There others but...

1417481966-16.jpg

1417481981-89.jpg

@ShellennaExtending a warm welcome to you. Your second post and you posted some nice pictures. Please introduce yourself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

The episode I was talking about was the "Fashion People" episode that he did with fellow "Fashion King" actors Shin Ju Hwan and Ahn Jae Hyun. I didn't know at the time that SJH was one of JW's BFFs, but in hindsight...the editors didn't know what they were missing by cutting his part out so much in favour of JW and AJH. I've since watched SJH in "Life Log", and he sounds like a really fun guy to hang out with :)

@kittyna, Joo Won shared the story of his mother looking for JW themed shocks in Good Doctor episode. :) If he shared it in Fashion King Episode, I forgot..

I actually saw Life Log at the start of 2017. I didn't know that they're friends before LL too.. JW has a nice bunch of friend like Lee Sae Wook, Shin Joo Hwan, Lee dong Hwi, Min Jin Woong etc. They seem to have fun together a lot too.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Joo Won shared the story of his mother looking for JW themed shocks in Good Doctor episode. :) If he shared it in Fashion King Episode, I forgot..

In the "Fashion King" special, it comes up in the segment starting at 21:00 in the video I posted. AJH and JW were both asked about whether and/or how their moms would brag about them, and both had funny stories to tell.

But now that you mention it, I do remember everyone being asked about their moms on the "Good Doctor" episode, too. JW said that his mother helped him find information so he could research what he needed to know for his roles (with the exception of "Gaksital", where he asked his grandparents what they experienced firsthand).

28 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I actually saw Life Log at the start of 2017. I didn't know that they're friends before LL too.. JW has a nice bunch of friend like Lee Sae Wook, Shin Joo Hwan, Min Jin Woong etc. They seem to have fun together a lot too.

I really like the whole "Life Log" group. They're not "big" stars for the most part, but because of that, I feel like they can actually relax and just be real, normal 20-something-year-old guys with each other. The Lotte World episodes were so much fun to watch, because I could tell that they were really enjoying themselves.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

The "Good Doctor" special was awesome, too. I especially loved the "Late Night Cafeteria" segment: for those unfarmiliar with it, it's when each of the guests had to bring a homemade snack to share with the group, with the requirement that it would be both inexpensive and quick/easy. The main hosts would try each dish and then, based on their responses, everyone votes on which of the guests' offerings they'd like to try as a group. The guest in question then makes some on the spot for everyone, and then they vote on whether it's a winner (i.e. liked by more than half the group). In this episode, it was JW's dish that made it through, if I recall correctly.

I loved that segment too! And even noted the recipe. I love how he used his surname Moon to name the round shaped snacks Good Moon chestnuts. He remembers this snack fondly because his mother made it for him and his brother when they were young. JW's mother is really a good cook. He also shared very delicious looking food made by his mother in Vlive chat and Instagram during YP days too. Im sure those must have comforted him tremendously during the YP harsh filming days. The saying "the way to win a husband's heart is through his stomach" applies to the children too :)

There's an online page with most of the wining snacks on Late Night Cafeteria and the recipe for Good Moon chestnuts can be found here

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, sagaseed said:

I loved that segment too! And even noted the recipe so that I can recreate Good Moon chestnuts. I love how he used his real surname Moon to name the round shaped snacks.

That's a cute observation! :) Unfortunately, it only applies to the English. :( Clicking through the link you posted, I saw that the hangeul is 굿달밤. 굿 (Goot) is the Korean transliteration of the English "Good", 달 (Dal) is one of the possible Korean words for "Moon" (i.e. the actual moon), and 밤 (Bam) is the Korean word for "Chestnut". Or, as JW put it in his spiel: "I need to promote my drama. They're CHESTNUTS eaten by GOOD doctors in the MOONLIGHT."

However, that does not detract in any way from your astute observation that JW is very fond of his mom and her cooking. I always thought that part of their relationship was really sweet. :wub:

Also, like you, I made note of that particular recipe, too. There were no quantities given in the original, so I played around with that until I came up with this version; I also omitted the pine nuts because I didn't have any on hand at the time I tried recreating these. I'm including my adapted recipe here in case anyone wants it.

Bam Gyeong Dan (Korean Chestnut “Rice Balls”)

Note: Adapted version of “Good Moon Chestnuts” from “Happy Together”

Makes: 1 dozen balls (Note: they will be smaller than the ones shown in the video)

Ingredients

1 cup pre-cooked chestnuts (or 1 100-gram bag)

1/3 cup walnuts

Optional for garnish: cinnamon, honey, toasted sesame seeds, jujube

Directions

1.      Finely chop walnuts; set aside.

2.      Working with a few at a time, mash chestnuts through a sieve into a bowl using a fork or a wooden spoon

3.      Add walnuts; mix until incorporated into a soft crumble.

4.      Roll small amounts of the mixture into marble-sized balls, pressing with both fingers and palm until it attains the desired shape

5.      Garnish as desired (see “Garnishes” below)

Garnishes

Cinnamon: Roll each of the balls in ground cinnamon until lightly covered; shake off excess cinnamon before serving

Honey + Sesame: Dip each of the balls in honey before rolling in sesame seeds (white or black)

Jujube: Cut around the seed of a dried jujube so the flesh is a flat sheet; roll it up tightly into a spiral; slice thinly with a sharp knife; place one slice on top of each ball, using honey to help it stick if needed

Notes

·         It is not essential for all the chestnut to go through the sieve; the point is simply to create as fine a powder as possible.

·         If made in advance, the cinnamon-covered balls may crack, and the honey ones will no longer be sticky – plan accordingly.

• Like 4

Thank you for your warm welcoming words guys. I'm not actually someone new here, I used to post here with a name: stearly, but now I can't login with my old name for some reason. This new soompi seems to hate me, lol, I can't to post several pictures in a row for example )) Anyway thank you for keeping a thread alive.

• Like 5