[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Collaborations rule in film

February 12, 2010

11200226.jpg

Korean actor So Ji-seob, left, and Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi star in “Sophie’s Revenge,” which was co-produced by companies from Korea and China and released last August.

The activity in the nation’s film industry in the first half of the year might best be summed up by the word “collaboration.” And with so many filmmakers, producers, actors and actresses from diverse countries teaming up to make films these days, the divisions between them are being blurred on screen and off.

Take for example a new film that will tentatively be titled “Late Autum.” Its leading actors are South Korean heartthrob Hyun Bin and Chinese actress Tang Wei.

The actors are Korean and Chinese, the director is Kim Tae-yong, a Korean, the film is being co-produced by Korean and American production companies and it is being shot in the United States. It is the most recent example of the kinds of cross-cultural collaborations in the film industry today.

“Teaming up could be advantageous when the film is distributed in other countries,” said Kim Jin-ah of the film marketing company Bidan, which is promoting the film. “Since you can’t expect to earn much by selling DVDs or other products here [because so many people download films for free] the local film industry is looking overseas for other opportunities.”

“Sayonara Itsuka” is a collaboration between production companies in Korea and Japan. Although the film is based on a Japanese novel written by Hitonari Tsuji and all of the actors are Japanese, the film was directed by Lee Jae-han, who made the Korean film “A Moment to Remember” in 2004.

Another blockbuster project is being done by companies from Korea and New Zealand. The film, “The Warrior’s Way,” is being directed by Korean filmmaker Lee Seung-moo. It features Korean actor Jang Dong-gun and American actors Danny Huston and Kate Bosworth. It is slated to open later this year.

Last year, Korean actor So Ji-seob and Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi co-starred in the romantic comedy “Sophie’s Revenge,” which was produced by companies from Korea and China. Another Korea-China project was the drama “A Good Rain Knows,” which stars Korean actor Jung Woo-sung and Chinese actress Gao Yuan Yuan. (See below to read a review of this film.) Meanwhile, artists from Korea and France created a film titled “A Brand New Life” last year, and the movie received a New Voice/New Visions award from the Palm Springs International Film Festival.

To spur this trend, the Korean Film Council is building up its infrastructure to allow filmmakers from diverse countries including Korea to work with industry experts.

“For example, we arrange business meetings between producers from different countries or sign treaties with European countries so that Korean filmmakers can work together with European film industry experts,” said Hwang Dong-mi, a researcher at the council. “By collaborating, they can share markets and move into new markets.”

When asked how Korean film will be defined when more than two countries come together to co-produce a film project, Hwang said that it’s a matter of money and leadership.

“If a Korean production invests more than 20 percent of the capital, or a film is directed by a Korean, or there are some Korean lines, it can be defined as a Korean film,” Hwang said.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr]

Credit Source : JoongAng Daily

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2916538

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rom-com Romeo takes tougher role As a runaway slave, actor Oh Ji-ho wields a sword and bites into reptiles

February 18, 2010

In order to perfectly immerse himself in his role as Song Tae-ha, a slave on the run, actor Oh Ji-ho let his hair and beard grow.

The KBS TV drama “Chuno,” or “Pursuing Servants,” is a smash, with ratings of around 30 percent, putting it tops among Wednesday-Thursday TV dramas. And it shows no signs of stopping.

Much of that popularity is thanks to a strong plot about slave hunters in pre-modern Korea, but at least a little of its appeal comes from its flamboyant action sequences, with leading male characters flexing their six-packs. Foremost among these heartthrobs is Oh Ji-ho, who, to put it inelegantly, keeps female viewers drooling - and glued to the tube.

Oh rose to stardom in romantic comedies, and at first, industry insiders said the actor had been miscast as the complex character Song Tae-ha in the serious drama. Even Oh himself once said that he had failed to land roles so often that he began to see his good looks as a liability.

But the market has spoken, and viewers and bloggers agree Oh was the right pick, and he is seizing the chance to reinvent himself.

“After my last role in ‘Queen of Housewives,’ I wanted to play a real macho man,” Oh said. In that hit show, which centered around struggling housewives who push their husbands up the corporate ladder, Oh played an incompetent husband - far from a strong male lead.

This time, things are different. At one point Oh’s character grabs a live snake with his bare hands and takes a bite out of it. He swings around a sword that weighs about 4 kilograms (8 pounds) with a single hand.

“I worried a lot about viewers comparing me to [my castmate] Jang Hyeok because he is practically a martial arts expert,” Oh confessed. But it didn’t take long for the natural-born athlete to learn the basics of martial arts and how to wield his blade.

“I think I’m good at all types of sports, especially ball games,” said Oh, who hits clean-up on a celebrity baseball team. Oh said it took less than a year for him to achieve an average score of 180 in bowling, quite a feat for an amateur player.

Although Oh picked up the martial arts and other physical skills easily, his role in Chuno demands constant hard work.

In order to maintain his picture-perfect abs, Oh works out hard between scenes. He and his castmates also shoot the drama half-naked, despite recent subzero temperatures. Nevertheless, Oh is still happy with his decision.

“I love to travel around [for the show]. It’s just fun for me to visit every nook and cranny of Korea,” he said. “I can even go into some off-limits areas because of this drama. I’m also completely alive and kicking even if I can’t get a wink of sleep for days because of filming.”

The actor is also pleased that he was able to make friends his own age through this drama.

“Jang Hyeok, Lee Jong-hyeok and I are the same age. We often hang out when the camera is not rolling,” he said.

Asked about the hardest part of being on Chuno, Oh answered, “Romantic scenes with my co-star are always hard because my character is a man of few words, yet I have to portray his romantic side since he’s deeply in love with [the character] Hye-won.”

Oh turned 35 this year, making this the 12th year since he entered show business. But after all this time, he says he is just starting to understand the beauty of acting.

“When I was in my 20s, I thought I would retire from acting and run my own business when I turned 40 because I didn’t know what I was doing then. I had many ups and downs, but I think I can stay focused on acting now,” he said. “I want to grow old with acting.”

By Kang Hye-ran, Sung So-young

Credit to : JoongAng Daily

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee Seung-gi : 'I Would Like To Have Chance to Act in Japan Too'

2010-02-17

All-around entertainer Lee Seung-gi being interviewed at Sun Plaza Hall, in Nagano, Tokyo on Feb. 12, ahead of his show "Lee Seugi-gi Live & Talk 2010 - I WISH."

All-around entertainer Lee Seug-gi held a fan meeting for the first time in a year, after performing a show entitled "Lee Seung-gi Live & Talk 2010" at Sun Plaza Hall in Nagano, Tokyo on the evening of February 12.

He is well-known to Japanese pans, starring in the sitcom "Nonstop 5," the drama "The Infamous Chil (7) Sisters," and a segment of the variety show "1 Night 2 Days of Happy Sunday."

He showed a good proficiency in Japanese at the interview ahead of his show and explained, "I started to study Japanese 3 years ago after I watched the drama 'Pride' starring Kimura Takuya." He added, "I keep studying Japanese. I would like to have a chance to act with him in Japan if his tight schedule allows him to do so."

He performed his songs such as "Will You Marry Me," "I'll Give You All," and "Because You're My Girl" as well as "Let's Break Up," a song from his fourth album entitled "Shadow" released in September, 2009.

He expressed his appreciation, saying, "I appreciate my fans who came in full attendance to cheer me on warmly although I came back to visit you after a year." Also, he revealed an episode where he brushed his teeth many times because he was requested to do more than ten takes of a kissing scene from different angles in the drama "Brilliant Legacy."

He said, "I think every task on '1 Night 2 Days' is difficult for me. The task to go to the South Pole will be really harsh. I worry about my schedule, because I am supposed to act in a drama right after coming back from the South Pole."

When he was asked about any special memories of Valentine's Day, he answered that he had never received chocolates during his high school days. He also said, "I am accustomed to confessing my love; however, I'd like to receive someone's confession for once."

He revealed that he would like to have a chance to act in Japan with actor Kimura Takuya, entertainer Matsumoto Jun of the popular boy band "Arashi," and actress Aoi Yu.

Credit to : KBS World

Ko Hyeon-jeong to star in TV series with Kwon Sang-woo

기사입력2010.02.18 13:25최종수정2010.02.18 13:25 0 0

30sa5qp.jpg

Top Korean actress Ko Hyeon-jeong [Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actress Ko Hyeon-jeong is set to star in a new television drama alongside Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo, according to local media reports on Thursday.

The actress has decided to appear in the drama tentatively titled "Big Thing" in English, after long and hard consideration, the reports said.

Ko's contract, however, is said to include a clause which stipulates that Kwon must play the male lead.

Kwon, who has been contemplating on whether to shoot the series for two years, has reportedly given a verbal agreement to do the show and is currently working out the details of his contract.

"Big", based on a comic book series of the same title by Park In-kwon, is about a first-class gigolo (played by Kwon) who helps a human rights lawyer (played by Ko) achieve her dream of becoming Korea's first female president.

As a former Miss Korea runner-up, Ko rose to stardom after starring in 1995 hit TV series "Hourglass" and made headlines after marrying Samsung Group Chairman Lee Kun-hee's nephew Chung Yong-jin.

She resumed her acting career in 2005 after getting a divorce and fully regained her reputation as Korea's top actress last year, receiving the grand prize at the 2009 MBC Drama Awards for her role in the smash hit TV series "Queen Seon-deok."

Shooting for "Big" is scheduled to begin in May.

Reporter : Kang Seung-hun tarophine@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Korean film Mother wins award at Santa Barbara film fest

18-02-2010

mother.jpg

South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's film "Mother - 2009" received the Best East Meets West Cinema Award at the annual Santa Barbara International Film Festival held in California over the weekend.

The movie, about a mother's search for a killer who framed her disabled son for a murder, was first screened at the Cannes Film Festival last year. The pic stars veteran actress Kim Hye-ja and Hallyu star Won Bin.

"Mother - 2009" has created much buzz in the film industry ever since, winning nods at several film fests including the title for best screenplay at the Dubai International Film Festival and the SIGNIS Award at the Mar del Plata International Film Festival in Argentina.

The veteran actress Kim Hye-ja and Hallyu star Won Bin starrer is currently up for nomination in six categories -- best film, best director, best screenplay, best actress, best supporting actor and best editing -- at the Asian Film Awards to be held in Hong Kong next month.

Other films recognized at the Santa Barbara fest on Sunday were American film "Exam", which was awarded the Panavision Spirit Award for Independent Cinema, Best International Film Award went to Finnish movie "Letters to Father Jaakob" and the Nueva Vision Award for best Spanish/Latin American film went to American production "The Wind Journeys".

Credit to : Hancinema

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veteran, young star team up in spy film

18-02-2010

reunion_1.jpg

'Both men are enemies, but they live together [and] understand each other in the end'.

Until recently, James Cameron's tale of blue-skinned beauties from space, "Avatar", had ruled Korea's theaters for months. But a local film, "Secret Reunion" starring Song Kang-ho and Kang Dong-won, now appears to have toppled Home Tree and displaced its lithe inhabitants at the top of the pile.

Online ticket reservation site Max Movie reported Secret Reunion is No. 1 for three weeks, with no signs of slowing down.

According to production company Showbox Movie, the film has already pulled in over 2.8 million viewers and is set to pass the 3 million mark today, becoming the first Korean movie released in 2010 to do so.

Its title may refer to a "reunion", but this is the first collaboration for two of Korea's most sought-after actors, Song and Kang, making it the talk of the town even before its release Feb. 4. The two lived up to expectations as two spies from North and South Korea who end up sharing a room in Seoul.

Critics lauded Song, who most recently played a priest in Park Chan-wook's "Thirst", for his experienced turn in the film, dealing with the weighty inter-Korean issue realistically while occasionally injecting pure humor.

In one scene, Song's character, Han-kyu, sits down to answer nature's call and is shocked to discover a chicken slaughtered by Ji-won, played by Kang, hanging in the bathroom. Song's facial expression at making this discovery and his over-hasty flight have been a big hit with local viewers.

"If I can depict my character well by doing that, I don't mind even if I look stupid or silly in a film", Song laughed.

Although Han-kyu is an agent for the National Intelligence Service, he's also a regular guy, going through a divorce, trouble at work and separation from his children.

"Both men are enemies but they live together, hiding their true identities. I like the story because they finally understand each other in the end. I thought this was very similar to Joint Security Area", Song said. That acclaimed film from 2000 also deals with soldiers from the North and South learning to understand one another, and it also starred Song.

The actor said he found it difficult to understand the vision of the director, Jang Hoon, who is a rookie while Song is in his 14th year in Korean cinema - but only at first.

"It's not an action film, but director Jang spent days to shoot a car chase scene, which I didn't understand back then. But when I saw the complete film, I got to understand what Jang wanted to express".

In fact, Song concluded, "I learned a lot from him".

The veteran said it was a pleasure to team up with Kang, who is 14 years younger than him.

"Kang possesses a seriousness and maturity at age 29 that I didn't have when I was about his age".

Song's next film is tentatively titled "Night Mist", and it takes him back into the role of a gangster - the third time Song's played that part.

Credit to : JoongAngDaily

Korean Dramas & Movies Forum Rules

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116755

12. Do not create new threads to post news.

Post the latest information in the news thread or in the related actors/actresses, dramas, or movies thread. Refrain from asking questions or adding additional comments in the news thread. Only post reliable news: translations by users, blogs, and forums are not considered reliable sources.

Lately there have been a number of articles sourced from personal blogs posted at the News thread. While they may be the most recent news, these updates also includes personal comments by the writers concerned. In future, please post English articles and updates from the Korean media portals to avoid any confusion.

Updates and articles from dramabeans.com are currently being posted at the mainsite of soompi.com ( http://www.soompi.com/news ) instead where there's an interactive format for members to leave comments as opposed to the forum News thread.

Also, please include an active link (the address or page url) for every article posted so that others can refer if needed to. Thanks..

Example:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../201_60480.html

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?sec=e...020810465472247

http://english.kbs.co.kr/Entertain/Enterta...ew.html?No=7289

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_d...0021600622.html

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2916783

Februari 12, 2010

Director’s talents buried in Korea-China film project

Jainnie's cine korea 

11200131.jpg

Gao Yuan Yuan, left, and Jung Woo-sung attempt romance in ‘A Good Rain

Knows.’[JoongAng Ilbo]

Speaking as one who’s been there, Chengdu, China, might not be the prettiest city in the world. But in “A Good Rain Knows,” director Hur Jin-ho manages to mold the city into a subtly exotic backdrop of a bashful romance.

Creating a mood through scenery is one of Hur’s fortes, whether it is the bamboo forest in “One Fine Spring Day” (2001) or the shabby photo shop in “Christmas in August” (1998).

The movie is a joint production between production companies in Korea and China, and there were reportedly a number of requests by the partner firms in China that Hur include Chinese elements in the movie. The city might not have been Hur’s first choice but the director brings out a charming picture of the city including a scenic park dedicated to Chinese poet Du Fu and a city center where the old and young gather to dance.

Korean actor Jung Woo-sung plays Park Dong-ha, a Doosan employee on a business trip to the Chinese city. There, he meets May, played by Chinese actress Gao Yuan Yuan, a former college friend who works as a tour guide in Du Fu park, and the two have a brief romantic encounter there.

Picturing the statuesque Jung as a nine-to-five businessman is tough, which is probably why he is portrayed as a former aspiring poet who succumbs to the corporate life. In one scene, Dong-ha says, “Initially, I was just going to work [at the company] for a short time. But the checks came in, and I got promoted... and it got hard to quit.”

As such, Dong-ha’s uncertainty and disillusionment about his job translate well into the general awkwardness of his relationship with May. Except for some short lines spoken in English, there isn’t much dialogue throughout the movie. Rather more is said in the hesitant moments of silence between the two characters.

Unfortunately, the rest of the film doesn’t quite live up to the ethereal beauty of Hur’s Chengdu. The “joint” project fails to create harmony and instead, feels like a fusion dish gone bland. Reportedly, Hur’s team was asked to incorporate the Sichuan earthquake into the movie. This request becomes apparent, but not in a good way, when we see May’s pain after she loses her husband in the earthquake come off as strained and unoriginal.

Instead of telling Dong-ha the truth about her loss, May takes the route characteristic of Korean melodramas and keeps the secret to herself, lying to Dong-ha and saying she’s married. Later, we see May crying in front of her deceased husband’s picture.

With a female role that is contrived and the lackluster chemistry between the two actors, Hur’s talents in creating atmosphere is buried, with the audience left to wonder why the two fall for each other in the first place. Eventually, we’re too bored to care.

Credits : Cho Jae-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

NHK to co-produce and air Korean drama "Bad Boy"

2010021713252101753_1.jpg

Actor Kim Nam-gil [star J Entertainment]

Major Japanese broadcaster NHK has decided to co-produce and air SBS drama "Bad Boy" even ahead of its run in Korea.

According to Good Story on Wednesday, NHK has agreed to jointly produce the drama set to air in May in Korea and also broadcast the series on Japanese public TV in 2011.

"The audience trusts in director Lee Hyung-min, director of other hits such as 'I'm Sorry, I Love You' and 'Snow Queen,' to produce the next 'Hallyu drama,' Good Story said of the reason NHK chose to produce and air the show.

"Bad Boy" will star Korean actor Kim Nam-gil who has a never-fulfilled ambition for life and love and Han Ga-in, who will fill the role of the tough yet realistic female who uses her charms to climb the social ladder.

Production for the drama has been ongoing since last Friday in Nagoya, Japan.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

February 18, 2010

Familiar faces, unexpected places: TV cameos on the rise

Sitcoms are naturally zany, so cameos are a good way to intrigue viewers.’

17203200.jpg

Entertainer Park Kyung-rim (right) landed a cameo role

in the second season of sitcom “High Kick” last September.

[MBC]

Cameos are all the rage on Korean TV this season, with A-list celebrities dropping into episodes of “High Kick,” “Chuno” and others to spice things up.

Most recently, actor Jeong Woong-in, who starred in the film “My Boss, My Hero,” appeared in the family sitcom High Kick as a bank robber who ends up carjacking a student driver on her first day of practice - she’s so nervous and inexperienced she can only go about 20 kilometers (13 miles) per hour.

“Sitcoms are naturally zany and comical, so cameos are a good way to intrigue viewers,” said Kim Byung-wook, producer of High Kick. More than 20 celebrities have made cameo appearances on the show, now in its second season. Most of them worked with Kim on his previous sitcoms, or they are friends of the actors. For example, singer Kim Yong-jun, a member of the local band SG Wannabe, played a veterinarian alongside Hwang Jeong-eum, a regular whose character keeps a dog on the show. Since Kim and Hwang are a real-life couple, viewers were excited to see them together.

“Kim Yong-jun rocks, and I want to see more cameo appearances [on the show],” wrote Lee Jeong-ah on the comment board of High Kick’s official Web page.

17203220.jpg

Actor Lee Won-jong (center) made a cameo appearance

in “Chuno” last month. [Haneul]

The hit TV drama Chuno, or “Pursuing Servants,” about Joseon-era escaped slaves and the bounty hunters who track them down, also uses cameos in a creative way, with one in each episode from the beginning.

“Most of the actors who make cameos are close to the drama’s staff and actors. Although cameo appearances often are only a few seconds long and they are friends of actors and staff members, the actors are paid,” said Kim Hye-rim, who is in charge of promoting the drama at the public relations agency Haneul.

As Chuno claims an audience share of 30 percent or more, making it the top TV drama on Wednesdays and Thursdays across the nation, its rivals are also increasing their number of cameo appearances to compete. “Oby/Gyn Doctors” on SBS and “The Woman Who Still Wants to Marry” on MBC have included many unexpected guests since they premiered.

But some industry officials say that the correlation between cameos and ratings is weak, and that past a certain point cameos distract the audience from the drama’s main plot line.

Credits : Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr]

Source : JoongAng Daily

February 18, 2010

Kwon's gotta sing

TALK OF THE TOWN

17203126.jpg

Actor Kwon Sang-woo will make his Japanese singing debut with the release of a new DVD tomorrow. The disc titled, “Dream in Japan,” consists of footage of the actor trying out things he has always wanted to do, including singing in Japanese.

In an interview with Japan-based Sankei Sports on Tuesday, Kwon said, “Singing is one of the ways to get closer to my fans. I’ve always been jealous of Ryu Si-won, who has been doing nationwide tours in Japan.” Kwon will sing the ballads “Missing” and “Tears for Love” at fan meetings at the Osaka International Convention Center and Tokyo International Forum on Feb. 24 and 27, respectively.

Februari 19, 2010

Veteran, young star team up in spy film

‘Both men are enemies, but they live together [and] understand each other in the end.’

19144751.jpg

Song Kang-ho

Until recently, James Cameron’s tale of blue-skinned beauties from space, “Avatar,” had ruled Korea’s theaters for months. But a local film, “Secret Reunion” starring Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won, now appears to have toppled Home Tree and displaced its lithe inhabitants at the top of the pile.

Online ticket reservation site Max Movie reported Secret Reunion is No. 1 for three weeks, with no signs of slowing down.

According to production company Showbox Movie, the film has already pulled in over 2.8 million viewers and is set to pass the 3 million mark today, becoming the first Korean movie released in 2010 to do so.

Its title may refer to a “reunion,” but this is the first collaboration for two of Korea’s most sought-after actors, Song and Gang, making it the talk of the town even before its release Feb. 4. The two lived up to expectations as two spies from North and South Korea who end up sharing a room in Seoul.

Critics lauded Song, who most recently played a priest in Park Chan-wook’s “Thirst,” for his experienced turn in the film, dealing with the weighty inter-Korean issue realistically while occasionally injecting pure humor.

In one scene, Song’s character, Han-kyu, sits down to answer nature’s call and is shocked to discover a chicken slaughtered by Ji-won, played by Gang, hanging in the bathroom. Song’s facial expression at making this discovery and his over-hasty flight have been a big hit with local viewers.

“If I can depict my character well by doing that, I don’t mind even if I look stupid or silly in a film,” Song laughed.

Although Han-kyu is an agent for the National Intelligence Service, he’s also a regular guy, going through a divorce, trouble at work and separation from his children.

“Both men are enemies but they live together, hiding their true identities. I like the story because they finally understand each other in the end. I thought this was very similar to Joint Security Area,” Song said. That acclaimed film from 2000 also deals with soldiers from the North and South learning to understand one another, and it also starred Song.

The actor said he found it difficult to understand the vision of the director, Jang Hun, who is a rookie while Song is in his 14th year in Korean cinema - but only at first.

“It’s not an action film, but director Jang spent days to shoot a car chase scene, which I didn’t understand back then. But when I saw the complete film, I got to understand what Jang wanted to express.”

In fact, Song concluded, “I learned a lot from him.”

The veteran said it was a pleasure to team up with Gang, who is 14 years younger than him.

“Gang possesses a seriousness and maturity at age 29 that I didn’t have when I was about his age.”

Song’s next film is tentatively titled “Night Fog,” and it takes him back into the role of a gangster - the third time Song’s played that part.

Credits : Ki Sun-min [so@joongang.co.kr]

Februari 18, 2010

Korean drama "Shining Inheritance" to air in Japan

2009033110260761939_1.jpg

Cast of "Shining Inheritance" [sBS]

Hit TV series "Shining Inheritance," starring Lee Seung-gi and Han Hyo-joo, is set to air on Japanese public television.

The Korean drama will air on Japan's Fuji TV starting early March, its broadcaster SBS announced on Thursday.

"Inheritance" was popular during its domestic airing in the first half of 2009, becoming the most-watched TV show in the country with its viewership ratings reaching 46 percent.

The series has been selling to several other countries throughout Asia including Taiwan where the show recorded high ratings during its run starting last November.

The show grabbed eight awards at the 2009 SBS Drama Awards, including the prize for best couple, top female actress, and three Top Ten Star awards.

Reporter: Cho Bum-ja anju1015@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Februari 24, 2010

Kim Joon to make comeback in new TV series

2010022409121282244_1.jpg

Korean singer and actor Kim Joon [Planet 905]

Korean actor Kim Joon will make a comeback to the small screen in a new TV series, his first since starring in last year's smash hit "Boys Over Flowers", according to his agency on Wednesday.

Planet 905 announced in a press release that the actor will play the lead role in a drama tentatively titled "The Love of Pygmalion", to be co-produced by Korean and Japanese production companies.

"Kim had been offered numerous roles in Korea and from Asian countries since appearing in 'Boys' but decided to take on this drama because it would allow him to show a different side to him as an actor," an official at Planet 905 was quoted as saying.

The official added that Japanese producers named Kim's character for the drama after the actor's real name, Kim Hyung-joon.

"Pygmalion", co-starring Japanese actress Minamisawa Nao, is about a woman named Mika who has lost her memories regarding her lover Hyung-joon.

The drama will be directed by producer Kim Yoon-chul, who is known for hit 2005 drama "My Name is Kim Sam-Soon." The actor commented that he was "happy to work with director Kim Yoon-chul whom I admired" and "learned a lot as an actor" from the experience.

"Pygmalion", which wrapped up shooting this month in Korea, will premiere on Japan's mobile channel BeeTV on March 20.

Kim, 26, made his debut in the entertainment industry in 2007 as a rapper of K-pop group T-Max. He rose to stardom playing one of the famous F4 characters in "Boys" last year.

Many of T-Max's songs were featured on the soundtrack for "Boys" and Kim is currently working on the group's upcoming studio album.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

Jang, Son to star in WWII picture

Actress Son Ye-jin has joined the cast of director Kang Je-gyu's upcoming Hollywood feature film debut, according to producers at Kang Je-gyu Films on Thursday.

Son, who enjoys popularity all over Asia through acclaimed films such as "The Classic," will play the female lead opposite Hallyu heartthrob Jang Dong-gun in the film tentatively titled "My Way."

Set during World War II during the Invasion of Normandy, Son will portray a woman torn between her love for a Korean soldier and a Japanese soldier.

Popular Japanese actor Takuya Kimura is in talks to join the cast, according to sources close to the "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War" filmmaker.

Shooting is set to begin this June at various locations around the world, including Germany and China.

"My Way" tells the story of a man (Jang) conscripted into the imperial Japanese military who later becomes a soldier for Nazi Germany.

Credits : (kws@heraldm.com)

"A Good Rain Knows" to close Korean film fest in L.A.

2010022409511185212_1.jpg

Movie poster of "A Good Rain Knows" [Pancinema]

Korean film "A Good Rain Knows," starring Korean actor Jung Woo-sung and Chinese actress Gao Yuanyuan, has been selected as the closing film for a Korean film festival to be held in Los Angeles next month.

"Good Rain," by famed directed Heo Jin-ho, will close the four-day long Korean Film Festival in Los Angeles (KOFFLA) on March 7. The fest is set to open with Korean film "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" starring Kim Jung-eun and Jin Goo.

Main features to be screened at the fest include "A Million," "Memories of Murder," "The Naked Kitchen," "The Righteous Thief," "The Scam," "Secret," "The Sword with No Name" and "White Night" while three films by director Ryu Seung-wan will show in as part of a special segment focusing on the filmmaker.

Films such as "Breathless," "Daytime Drinking," "Members of the Funeral," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Room Nearby" and "Rough Cut" will be shown in the category of 'First Directors' Pieces' which focuses on pictures by new directors.

The KOFFLA showcases over 70 films, including Korean blockbusters, various Korean-American features and shorts, as well as the highlights from last year's Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) and Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival.

Chang Wha-chung, famed director and one of the pioneers of the Asian action genre, is the director of the ceremony.

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr

2010-02-04

‘Becoming a Billionaire’ to Succeed ‘Master of Study’

A press conference was held at the Palace Hotel in Seoul on February 22 to announce the production of the new KBS2 drama “Becoming a Billionaire.”

Succeeding “Maser of Study” from March 1, the drama will deal with the true meaning of being rich through the stories of four young people.

398_1068_l.jpg

The director and lead cast members pose at a production conference. From left, direc-

tor Lee Jin-seo and stars Lee Si-young, Namgoong Min, Lee Bo-young and Ji Hyun-woo

Ji Hyun-woo plays Choi Seok-bong, a hotel bellboy who is trying to find his billionaire father whom he has never met. He believes that he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and prepares himself to be qualified as a billionaire’s heir.

Lee Bo-young takes on the role of Lee Shin-mi, a stingy heiress of a conglomerate who believes that one should strive to remain rich.

Namgoong Min plays Chu Un-seok, a son of a rich business man who worked his way to success, and Lee Si-young plays a typical arrogant heiress named Bu Tae-hee.

Director Lee Seo-jin said that he wants to deliver the simple message that one must work hard to become rich. He said, “So many dramas have featured billionaires and their families, but I want to set my work apart from them with more realistic characters.” He added, “I hope the drama will provide an opportunity to think about what being rich means and how wealth should be used.”

398_1069_l.jpg

▲ Ji Hyun-woo (left) and Lee Bo-young

Ji Hyun-woo said, “Seok-bong may sound like a man chasing an unattainable dream, but actually he has strong convictions about being rich and works hard accordingly. I think he can set a model and provide hope to many people.” He added, “And that’s why I decided to appear in the drama.”

Lee Bo-young, who is returning to TV after a four-year absence, chose the show for her comeback due to the unique character she plays. She said, “In other romantic comedies, male characters are usually rebellious or tough and female characters are obedient and lovely, but it’s the other way around in our drama. I found it very different and interesting.”

Featuring other veteran actors such as Yoon Joo-sang, Sung Ji-roo and Park Chul-min, “Becoming a Billionaire” will air on Mondays and Tuesday at 9:55 p.m. on KBS2.

Writer: Jin Yeong-ju

Photo: Lee Min-gyu

Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Source : KBS Global

Actress Han Ji-hye cast for new Chinese drama

2010022412491229479_1.jpg

Korean actress Han Ji-hye [Yedang Entertainment]

Korean actress Han Ji-hye has been tapped to play the lead female role in a new Chinese drama, according to her agency Yedang Entertainment on Wednesday.

Han will play the role of Chun Chae-hee, a young woman with a strong passion for embroidery in search of her mother, in the 26-part drama to be helmed by top Chinese director Huang Jianzhong of "As You Wish" and "Good Woman."

"Han was chosen for the role because it was judged that she would suit the character perfectly," a representative from the drama's production company was quoted as saying. "She is already popular in China so we have hopes she will bring about a second Hallyu."

"I feel honored to star in this drama by such a famous director and to get to meet my fans in China," Han said.

Shooting for the drama will begin in mid-March and is scheduled to air in November through major Chinese broadcaster CCTV.

Han has appeared in numerous dramas and movies including KBS TV series "Sweet 18" and the daily drama "Likeable or Not." She also played the leading role in the Korean film "My Boyfriend is Type B."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

02-23-2010

Legendary Comedian Bae Sam-ryong Dies

Bae Sam-ryong, the legendary clown who made people laugh with his trademark ``fool'' image during the authoritarian eras of the 1960-1970s, died of chronic recurrent pneumonia, Tuesday, his family said. He was 84.

The pioneering comedian and actor had been hospitalized at Asan Medical Center in southern Seoul since June 2007 when he was first struck with the ailment. His condition recently worsened to the point where he couldn't recognize those close to him.

Nicknamed ``Bisiri'' (the weak), Bae was loved by the people for his classic slapstick comedy and characterization of a fool with funny facial expressions and humorous gestures, including ``gaedari chum,'' his trademark dance mimicking the movement of dog legs.

With his acting philosophy: ``Laughter to others, grief to me,'' Bae devoted his life to making people happy.

Fans were the most important thing for the godfather of Korean comedy, his son Dong-jin said.

``My father always wanted to see his fans. To say that he lived for his fans is never an exaggeration,'' his son told reporters at the hospital. ``Even lying on the bed, he was practicing as he so aspired to stand in front of his fans. He said he would like to collapse on the stage if he could.''

He said his father once told him that his family had to sacrifice because he had to be loved by his fans.

``Before he was a father to us, he was the person who always took to the stage. I suffered some adolescent angst because of that. But now I'm proud of my father who loved his fans more than being a father,'' he said.

He said Bae's last words ― which he uttered two months ago when he was conscious ― were ``Don't worry, I will take to the stage again.''

Born in Yanggu, Gangwon Province in 1926, Bae went to Japan after finishing elementary school here and graduated from a high school in Ueno, Japan. He came back to Korea after it was liberated from the Japanese colonial rule.

He worked for music and comedy troupes pitching tents and touring across the nation for about 15 years, the period during which he built the foundation to become one of the nation's most loved comedians. Afterwards Bae built his unique character as a comedian while emceeing at numerous comedy shows at theaters.

Making his debut as a comedian on MBC TV in 1968, he rose to stardom and became one of the top comedians along with his life-time friend and fellow comedian Koo Bong-seo, 84.

Bae was so popular that other TV stations competed to get him to appear on their shows, with one TV station even attempting to kidnap him.

``As I'm getting on a bus after finishing a TV show, about 30 employees of a TV station abruptly surrounded me and tried to kidnap me,'' Bae once said during an interview.

However, his real life was far from glorious. His career began to slide from 1979 when then military junta led by Chun Doo-hwan prevented him from appearing on TV, saying his comedy was damaging to ``social morals and good manners.''

Bae later said that the junta's ban was because he openly backed Kim Jong-pil, one of three major political heavyweights at that time.

Following the ban, Bae went to the United States and lived there for three years.

He returned home in 1993 but he never regained his earlier popularity. He ventured into a series of businesses only to fail. Toward the end of his life, Bae struggled to pay for his hospital bills.

A memorial altar set up at Asan Medical Center in southern Seoul was crowded with entertainers and other mourners.

His friend and fellow comedian Koo, 84, who is hospitalized due to a brain tumor, said in an interview with a daily that: ``I can't stand it though I expected it. It's so hard to lose him.''

Popular comedian Kim Mi-hwa, who visited the hospital to mourn the death of Bae, also told reporters, ``It was really a great honor to act with him when I was very young. Mr. Bae was a hero in my mind.''

After three days of funeral rituals, his body will be cremated, with his remains being put to rest at a cemetery in Bundang, Gyeonggi Province, Thursday. He is survived by his son and two daughters.

Credits :  Cho Jae-hyon, Staff Reporter (chojh@koreatimes.co.kr)

Source : The Korea Times

2010-02-24

'Comedian Bae Sam-ryong - Gifted Fool, Rest In Peace'

The entertainment world mourned the death of senior comedian Bae Sam-ryoung, who was one of South Korea's most beloved comedians since the 1960s.

7297_890_l.jpg

Eom Yong-su, the president of the Comedian's Guild, expressed his sorrow over the death, saying on February 23, "Such of us as knew him deeply regret his death. However, I believe that he rests in peace, having left the troubles of life." He added, "Considering his contributions to the comedy world, we are discussing how to hold his funeral."

Bae had a special relationship with Eom, unlike his many relationships with the entertainment world. They never had a chance to appear in the same comedy program and didn't talk to each other before Bae become hospitalized.

Eom said, "It was difficult for me to get close to the country's top comedian, Bae, in 1982, the year of my debut. After that, I didn't have a chance to appear with him. However, I started to have a relationship with him when, as the president of the Comedian's Guild, I visited him in the hospital two years ago."

He visited Bae in the hospital with colleague comedians since that time, even though they had difficulty communicating with each other without his family "interpreting" due to serious complications resulting from pneumonia.

Eom said, "It was special a relationship. When Bae was active and healthy, I couldn't even talk to him. After he was hospitalized, I visited him every month. I started to have warm affection for him, although I could understand him only with his family's help. I visited him two days before Korean New Year's day. I couldn't meet him because he was in the ER."

Comedian Lee Yong-sik said, "He prepared the portrait of the deceased six months ago. Today, he will bring it to the mortuary." Lee had a junior-senior relationship with Bae since he made his debut in the 1970s. He added, "[bae] was an encourager as a senior. He welcomed us like a father, brother or friend. I never heard him raise his voice in over 30 years. Every comedian candidate tried to imitate him at the comedian contests in the past. A great comedian has died."

He remembered Bae as a "gifted fool," saying, "He was loved for his characterization of a helpless, weak fool. However, he was a genius and became a well-planned fool in his acts."

Lee Bong-won deplored his death, saying, "Many people missed his slapstick humor and sketch-style comedy, as I did. I feel especially sorry and sad that I couldn't carry on the same style of comedy successfully." Lee and Bae appeared together in comedies such as "Classic Humor Theatre" and "Comedy Highway," which aired on KBS TV in the 1980s.

Im Ha-ryong expressed his condolences, saying, "I feel pain in my heart. I wished he would have lived longer and in better health." He added, "He was a man with great self-respect. I liked and respected him a lot." Im appeared together with Bae in the movie "Beginners" in the role of a friend.

Source : KBS Global

Feb.20, 2010

Who Will Appeal Most to Advertisers?

Who will be the most sought-after model for commercials in 2010? Figure skating megastar Kim Yu-na (20) looks like the strongest contender, closely trailed by actress Koh Hyun-jung (39) who starred in the hugely popular MBC TV series "The Great Queen Seondeok" last year.

◆ Kim Yu-na

Kim is likely to maintain her position as the most sought-after commercial model in 2010. With high expectations that she will win an Olympic medal, she is the subject of intense competition among advertisers. Forbes.com recently picked Kim as one of the top-earning athletes of the 2010 Winter Olympics. It said she is a "marketing darling in her home country."And indeed Kim has a string of sponsorships from Hyundai Motor, Kookmin Bank and Nike, and the Haptic phone by Samsung Electronics she advertises sold over 1 million sets in just seven months after the launch.

◆ Koh Hyun-jung

Koh is definitely a force to be reckoned with and is expanding her presence in the advertising market. She recently signed a deal with Lancôme, edging out younger actresses. Ko does not have the prettiest face or the most unique character, but her pure image makes a powerful impression.

◆ Hwang Jung-eum

Hwang Jung-eum confessed on MBC reality show "Just Married" that she had just W487 (US$1=W1,144) in her bank account. But three months later, she has W2.3 billion. A former member of girl group Sugar, Hwang turned to acting, and became an overnight star thanks to MBC daily sitcom "High Kick Through the Roof." Her fresh look and vibrant personality in the sitcom captured the hearts of audiences and advertisers.

2010022000181_0.jpg

Clockwise from the top left, Kim Yu-na, Koh Hyun-jung, Hwang Jung-eum, Uee, Moon Geun-

young and Lee Yo-won 

◆ Lee Yo-won

Lee Yo-won's strength is her innocent image. Despite the fact that she has been married for seven years and is the mother of a young girl, people still see her as their little sister. She captivates people of all age with her smile and is constantly wooed by advertisers. On the back of TV series "The Great Queen Seondeok" last year, she got four advertising deals, including with insurance and construction companies.

◆ Moon Geun-young

Moon Geun-young has been in TV commercials non-stop for the last several years. Sometimes she dazzled the audience in provocative clothes and sexy dance moves, and sometimes she played the role of the "nation's little sister."

◆ Uee

Uee of girl group After School is a former athlete and appealed to audiences with her healthy, athletic body. Thanks to this, she is currently unstoppable in the advertising market.

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Source : Chosun Ilbo, Visit Korea

Sul Kyung-gu, Song Yuna sign with new agency together

2010022510085220949_2.jpg

Korean actor Sul Kyung-gu and actress Song Yuna [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actor couple Sul Kyung-gu and actress Song Yuna have signed with talent powerhouse De Chocolate E&TF (E&TF), according to the company on Thursday.

"Sul is known as one of the most successful actors in the business so his joining the company, combined with our professional management skills, is expected to bring about a synergy effect,” a representative from E&TF said.

He and his wife Song will be joining top Korean actress Ko Hyun-jung of last year’s smash-hit historical drama “Queen Seon-deok” who is already under E&TF’s management.

Sul made his debut in 1993 through theater and has starred in numerous hit films such as "Peppermint Candy," "Silmido," and "No Mercy." He is currently shooting for the pan-Asia omnibus picture "Camellia-Komome."

Actress Song rose to fame with her roles in MBC drama "Hotelier" and most recently appeared in films "Secret" and "Wedding Dress."

The two actors, who first met on the set of the 2002 Korean film "Jail Breaker," began dating in 2007 and married last year.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10AsiaAll rights reserved>

Mystery-driven melodrama to hit big screen

Melodramas tend to have a pattern in terms of storytelling. "Bimilae (The Secret River)," a new melodrama flick starring Yoo Ji-tae and Yoon Jin-seo, goes a step further by embracing an element of mystery.

"I believe my first feature film will present a new melodrama to Korean audiences," director Ryu Hoon told reporters at a news conference held in Seoul yesterday. "The key difference with other films in the genre is a mystery-induced dramatic tension."

Ryu said the basic plot involves a relationship that is inherently precarious and unstable, but the adoption of a mystery drama will enhance the cinematic experience.

Yoo Ji-tae ("Oldboy") plays two main characters: Jin-woo who lapses into a coma two months after getting married, and his twin brother Jin-ho who comes back to Korea after years abroad.

Yoon Jin-seo's character is Yeon-i, wife of Jin-woo who finds herself deeply drawn to Jin-ho who has an extremely similar appearance and almost the same voice as her bedridden husband.

The forbidden love itself is not an entirely fresh concept, but unlike other Korean films targeting those interested in melodramas, "The Secret River" inserts a fair amount of action and computer-generated graphics to spice up the otherwise trite storyline.

Yoo said he had difficulty playing the twin brothers. "The twins have differences but similarities. The older brother is conservative while the younger brother is liberal yet opinionated about what he likes. Some might expect very different characters, but I think they are the two sides of the same coin, which confuses Yeon-i a lot," Yoo said. 

Yoo said the film has not only cinematic depths but also entertaining elements. "When I first came across the script, I felt it's going to be an interesting melodrama. Especially those who like watching melodramas will be greatly amused," he said.

Yoon Jin-seo summed up her character with two key words: abandonment and pursuit. "Since her husband is in a coma, Yeon-i has given up hope on her marriage and it seems like nothing will improve her troubled life," Yoon said. "But that's only on the surface because deep down inside she has yearnings as a woman who wants passionate relationships."

Yoon said the two-fold aspects of the character have made it difficult for her to present them for the big screen due to the conflicting subtlety.

Yoon, who teams up with Yoo seven years after "Oldboy," said the latest film has offered a rare chance to shed light on the female character's psychological state. "When I choose a film, I always think about what I really want to watch, and these days there are many movies dedicated to Korean men, but only a few about Korean women," Yoon said. "In this regard, 'The Secret River' is one of the few movies depicting how women feel and how they cope," she added.

Director Ryu said that a last-minute plot twist in particular will give a fresh experience to Korean audiences. The film, whose planning and production was started about three years ago, will hit local theaters on March 25.  

Credits : Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

Source : The Korea Herald

Archived