For Cantonese speakers, do you know any Cantonese slangs?

Peekabooitzme

lol i know all of those slangs too... cos of living in HK long enough! :D

i think theres one more:

手指拗出唔拗入- which basically means you're standing on the side of the opponent and betraying your own people.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sourelectric

Fei gei cheung (airport) is also : arcade games place.

i think also chak hai ( to clean a shoe ) : to say something good about someone that is not true. : as in complimenting the boss to get on his good side.

Lor : slang for butt.

lol my cousins always say lei yo mo bo, lei yo mo lor. ( you dont have boobs, you dont have richard simmons)

eehhee i dindt know all those from the list were slang! O_O i didnt know those dirty words hahaha

Guest Azn Drifto

Yeah the majority of those I've heard or used before, didnt even know they were slang cause Im so used to hearing them lol.

Guest NEEKA902

48 You give me collect father.

你同我收爹!

49 Laugh die me.

笑死我。

I say these two all the time. Hahahaha. God, I love Cantonese slang.

Guest cookiebot

I think SOME Cantonese slang varies by region? Like I'm from HK, but some of my mainland friends have no idea what I'm talking about sometimes, vice versa. Even within mainland China, slang is so different.

Guest eluphant

LMAO. Oh god. I know most of these.

Except for the unusual ones like hickey.

This is one of the reasons why I love my language.

It's so darn funny.

Guest Envious-Sleep

I always figured Canto was almost entirely made up of slang by now...lol.

Mmmm...."sai sam ban" (washboard) is apparently supposed to mean flat-chested women, since olden Chinese washboards were actually flat, and not rippled like western ones.

Working at a Chinese restaurant for a year taught me a very interesting word..."huy/hai"....I didn't know the meaning until a week ago LOL. You guys can figure it out for yourselves.

Guest rlp_emeoe

haha canto slang

i used to get called lazy pig by my family so many times -_-"

but i sure didnt know a lot of these; nice to know i cant learn something new everyday

o__o my parents sometimes make ham ju sull 鹹豬手(salty pork hand) - a pervert for dinner =/

Guest tranniee_x

aha nice thread, I love canto : D

but I've always thought that 精人出口,笨人出手 means that in an argument or something, the smart person will only argue verbally whereas the dumb one will use their fists

ah idk

Guest shortstufflai

hahaha oh god i never realised half of those were slang, since i use with my parents and such.

tbh, i dont think i no HOW to say it properly o_o.

• 2 months later...

Here's more that I know of:

我看見滿天飛牛 (I see cows flying everywhere) - You say that if someone's boasting.

吹牛(blow a cow) - To brag or boast.

吃醋 (eat vinegar) - To be jealous.

大鍋 (big wok) - Oh no! Big trouble.

老餅 (old cookie) - An offensive term for an old man.

吹水 (blow water) - Gossiping about nothing for a long time.

你講乜鬼? (What the ghost are you talking about?) - What are you talking about?

高手 (high hand) - Is used for a person with skill, usually in martial arts or in baduk (the game of Go).

面青青 (face green green) - face is pale

情人眼裡出西施 (lover's eyes inside put forth sai-si) - A guy who is really in love thinks his girl is the most beautiful, even if she is not.

身癢 (body itchy) - Having a strong urge to do something. Sometimes said of children desiring to do naughty things.

Guest xblubear

I found some of these (some of these pronunciation or pinyin are not entirely accurate)

頂你個肺呀 (ding nei go fai aa) (to hit someone's lungs) - you say this when you are mad at someone/something

你係咪痴總掣呀? (nei hai mai chi zung zai aa) (are you short-circuited?) - are you crazy?

鬼唔知你阿媽係女人? (gwai mm zi nei aa ma hai nui yan) (ghost doesn't know your mom is a woman?) - who doesn't know your mom is a woman?

鬼五馬六 (gwai mm ma luk) (ghost five horse six) - weird

十問九唔應 (sap man gau mm ying) (ten ask nine not respond) - when someone is not really responding

踢曬腳 (tek sai geuk) (kick shine foot) - very busy

水靜河飛 (sui zing ho fei) (water silent river fly) - silent/quiet

好心著雷劈 (ho sam zeuk lui pek) (good heart do thunder hit) - when your help is not appreciated

Archived