For Cantonese speakers, do you know any Cantonese slangs?

Peekabooitzme

As a Cantonese speaker myself, I am quite familiar with these common Cantonese slang terms.

Da fei gei 打飛機 (to hit the airplane) - male masturbation

ham sup 鹹濕 (salty, wet) - dirty-minded or perverted

fei gei cherng 飛機場 (airport) - flat-chested woman

ju pa 豬扒(pork chop) - ugly chicks

gwai lo 鬼佬 (ghost man) - white guy

yum cha 飲茶 (drink tea) - To eat dim sum and drink tea.

dai lo 大佬 (older brother) - Literally means 'Big Brother' in Cantonese. Usually used by Chinese gangsters and wanksters to refer to their bosses.

chaau you yu 炒鱿鱼 (fry squid) - To get fired from a job.

sik fan 食飯 (to eat rice) - To eat dinner.

sik ling mung 食檸檬 (eat lemon) - Said of a guy who got rejected by a girl.

sik bak guo 食白果 (eat white fruit) - Describes efforts that have yielded no returns, payoff, or reward.

ham yu 鹹魚(salted fish) - dead body or corpse

hau fah fah 口花花(mouth flower flower) - Said of a guy who speaks "pleasant" things to girls; Things coming out of his mouth are like flowers.

lan ju 懶豬(lazy pig) - a lazy person

yun toe ju nou 人頭豬腦 (human head, pig brain) - a stupid person

chun ju 蠢豬 (stupid pig) - idiot; fool

dai toe ha 大頭蝦 (big-headed shrimp) - an absent-minded person.

ham ju sull 鹹豬手(salty pork hand) - a pervert

dai tou 大肚(big stomach) - pregnant

ngan hong 眼紅(eyes red) - Jealous; Eyes show jealousy with red veins; This terms can be used to make fun of someone, like saying "you're jealous!"

hak sum 黑心(black heart) - Said of someone who has bad intentions for others.

fahn woon 飯碗 (rice bowl) - Job or means of income; Similar to English "bread and butter", but for Chinese, bread is rice.

tcheet fahn woon 鐵飯碗 (iron rice bowl) - An iron rice bowl would not break, so this describes a very secure job.

gum fahn woon 金飯碗 (gold rice bowl) - Same as an "iron rice bowl", but perhaps more emphasis on "good pay".

dai sik sie 大食细 (big eat small) - Darwinism; The big fish eats the small fish; Often said of older sibling and younger sibling.

bun dan 笨蛋 (dumb egg) - dummy, fool

sor gwa 傻瓜 (foolish melon) - dummy, fool

boh deen wah jook 煲電話粥 (boil electric conversation (telephone) porridge) - Said of someone who talks a lot on the phone; It takes a long time to cook porridge (boiling rice), so if porridge has been prepared while they've been talking, then they must talk a lot.

fut hau seh sum 佛口蛇心 (Buddha mouth, snake heart) - Said of someone who appears to be gentle on the outside, but has bad intentions on the inside.

ga lei gai 咖哩雞 (curry chicken) - hickey

wu lay jing 狐狸精 (fox spirit) - a derogatory expression describing a woman who seduces a man ("gold digging"). A term used by a woman who uses that derogatory term to call a woman a "狐狸精" because she stole her husband from her.

fahn tohng 飯桶 (rice bucket) - Said of someone who is stupid - all he does is hold rice in his stomach.

foh geng 火頸 (fire neck) - Very mad; So mad your neck is red.

gie tohng ngahp gohng 雞同鴨講 (chicken with duck talk) - Often describes a Chinese person speaking with an English speaking person and not understanding each other (or Chinese speaking with those of other dialects).

gahng yeh soh 講耶稣 (talk Jesus) - Jesus is associated with benevolence and understanding; Someone who is "talking Jesus" is talking too compassionately and should be more firm.

bahn joo sik loh foo 扮豬食老虎 (pretend pig, eat tiger) - Said of someone who pretends to be dumb but is actually clever; Not really a dumb pig, just pretending to be.

yun chun mo yeuk yee人蠢冇藥醫 (person stupid don't have medicine to heal) - Said of a stupid person - because being stupid is unfixable.

gai 雞 (chicken) - female prostitute

ngap 鴨 (duck) - male prostitute

boh dai moh nou 波大冇腦 (boobs big, no brain) - Said of a dumb woman who has big boobs.

ngoh sihk yeem doh gwoh nay sihk mai 我食鹽多過你食米 (I eat salt more than you eat rice) - Said of a person who has a lot (more) experience relative to someone else.

chohng tau dah gau chohng may woh 床頭打架床尾和 (bed head fight, bed tail peace) - Said of couples (husband and wife) who recover very fast after fighting.

jum guo ham sui 浸過鹹水(to soak in salt water) - Said of someone who has had the experience of studying abroad; To have soaked in salt water (ocean water) means to have crossed the ocean.

boh jeu fahn woon 保住飯碗 - Securing or protecting one's means of making a living.

djayng yun cheut hau, bun yun cheut sau 精人出口,笨人出手 (smart people put forth mouth, dumb people put forth hand) - Smart ones say what needs to be done, and the dumb ones do it; Often said about gangsters taking orders from their bosses.

dah lahn fahn woon 打爛飯碗 (break the rice bowl) - You break your means of eating rice - this means you lost your job.

dung doe geng doe cherng 等到頸都長 (neck is getting longer and longer from waiting)- Waiting for a very long time.

gwai mui 鬼妹 (ghost girl) - white girl

gwai por 鬼婆 (ghost lady) - white lady

lui keung yun 女強人 (female strong person) - A successful career woman or an able woman .

yun san yun hoi 人山人海 (people mountain, people sea) - It basically means a place that is very crowded and overflowing with people.

ngor wiew bay D ngan sik nay tai 我會俾D顏色你睇 (I will give you some colour to see) - Meaning to beat someone up.

nay yull beng ah? 你有病啊? (Do you have an illness?) - It means "you are so disgusting!"

fah fah gong jee 花花公子(flower flower son of an official) - A playboy.

mau hohk loh seu gah tchee bay 猫哭老鼠假慈悲 (cat cries for mouse) - Said of someone who pretends to cry/mourn for another person, but actually feels the opposite - like the cat who is crying but wants to eat the mouse.

ga yull 加油 (to add oil) - To cheer someone on by saying "go, go go"!

fah sum 花心 (flower heart) - It is used for men who don't have decent intentions with girls & also for husbands who cheat on their wives (花心丈夫) and you can even translate it as 'playboy'.

bak ma wong jee 白馬王子 (white horse prince) - Prince Charming

fei see 菲士 (face) - This is supposed to sound like the English word "face", as to saving face, or to give me face. Face is a very important thing to the Chinese. An example is if a gentleman holds up his wine glass to you and offers to "clink" with your glass, and you refuse, you're not giving him face! The term is exactly the same as 面子 (meen zi).

boh si 波士 (boss) - It means "boss", even the pronunciation is similar, bo-see.

dai loke mo 戴綠帽 (to wear a green hat) - To be a cuckold (lit. "wear a green hat," supposedly because male brothel workers in the Tang Dynasty had to wear green hats). Strictly speaking, a cuckold is a married man with an adulterous wife, but current usage sometimes extends the term informally to include cuckqueans (women with adulterous husbands), wittols (husbands who consent to their wife's extramarital sex), and non-married couples in analogous situations.

ngahng geng 硬頸 (stiff neck) - Said of someone who is stubborn; They won't turn left, and won't turn right - they only go their own way.

yut fun cheen yut fun foh 一分錢一分貨 (one cent money, one cent merchandise) - Same as English "you get what you pay for".

This one is not a Cantonese slang. It's a Chinese idiom.

lai ha mo seung sik teen ngor yoke 癞虾蟆想吃天鹅肉 - (the toad on the ground wanting to eat the goose in the sky) - This idiom is used derisively on men who desire women who are beyond their station in terms of wealth, social class or beauty.

Here are more Cantonese slangs: http://www.learnchineseez.com/cantonese-slang/index.html

Credits: Wikipedia & http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/

Please share others you know, Cantonese speakers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest -Theory-

mm... theres a thread like this on another forum i go to haha!

Just came across these 55 funny phrases.

1 So many people die, never see you die.

甘多人死,唔见你死。

2 You teach me how to come out and walk in the future?

你教我以后点出嚟行?

3 If you have enough ginger, put your horse to me.

如果你够姜既话就放马过嚟。

4 "I saw a pork chop"

我见到件猪扒啊。

5 Are you road?

你系咪路啊?

6 What the water are you?

你系乜水啊?

7 Do you big me?

你大我啊?

8 Zebra chops people.

班马劈友。

9 The king of the cutting girl.

界女王。

10 Cut my head and let you sit on it as a chair.

批我个头俾你当凳坐。

11 Do you think me didn't arrive?

你当我无到?

12 You have seed, I will give you some colour to see, brothers, together up.

你有种,我会俾D颜色你睇,兄弟,同我一齐上!

13 Today I was very black son.

今日我好黑仔。

14 I am wearing grass.

我着紧草。

15 You have not enough class to talk mathematics with me!

你未够班同我讲数!

16 Two beat six.

二打六

17 Two five son.

二五仔

18 Piano piano green.

琴琴青

19 I give you some colour to see see.

我俾D顏色你睇睇!

20 Stupid stupid want to move .

蠢蠢欲動 。

21 People mountain people sea .

人山人海 。

22 How senior are you?

你算老幾?

23 What the ghost are you talk?

你講乜鬼?

24 I fear that you have teeth.

我驚你有牙!

25 Heart flower angry open.

心花怒放。

26 Fish skin

鱼皮 。

27 Monster of blowing water.

吹水怪。

28 Face green green

面青青。

29 You see road carefully

你小心睇路

30 You go to street carefully

你出街小心D。

31 Do the world

做世界 。

32 Big tea rice

大茶饭 。

33 American chinese not enough.

美中不足。

34 King eight egg.

王八蛋

35 High hand.

高手

36 Old dot.

老点

37 One old water

一旧水

38 I know your mouse.

我识你老鼠!

39 Measure water/Pound water.

磅水

A dragon service.

一条龙服务

41 Pump water.?

抽水

42 I blow chicken to beat your group of the guys.

我吹鸡打你班友。

43 You jump building.

你跳楼啦。

44 You come back home and eat banana

你返屋企食蕉啦

45 I give you a hair.

我俾条毛你ar!

46 Collect skin

收皮

47 Collect father

收爹

48 You give me collect father.

你同我收爹!

49 Laugh die me.

笑死我。

50 You give me stop.

你同我企系度。

51 Eight woman

八婆

52 Eight woman,you are good!

八婆,你好o野!

53 What the spring do you do?

你搞乜春啊?

54 A dog of eating dung

食屎狗

55 A ghost of richard simmons

屎忽鬼

credit @PAgawain187

黑人憎 = Black People Hate (no racism intended.)

what a weird way to say jerkin off lol

i barely learned yesterday that "mi mi" dont know the tone, referred to boobs?

i'm terrible at cantonese...

Guest 魚燕往返

what a weird way to say jerkin off lol

i barely learned yesterday that "mi mi" dont know the tone, referred to boobs?

i'm terrible at cantonese...

LOL, "mi mi" is actually Mandarin for boobies. Haha, but yes, it still means boobs xD

my goodness, im starting to forget my cantonese because im learning mandarin at school

when i read da (hit) i was thinking big, so i was like huh

Guest DarkApprentice89

sik yoon fan (eat soft rice) <-- Your wife is richer and you're living off of her income.

hap cho (eat vinegar?) <-- Jealous

dai luk mo (wear green hat) <--- Your SO is cheating on you.

canto pride ♥ best language in the world LOL. so many funny slangs.

uhmm, i rmb i saw in "the seventh day" that "sik jiu" Literally eat banana means police officer!! haha xD

Guest LOOCiEE<3

lol, i never knew much of the cantonese slang. oh dang, hap cho- i always knew it meant jealous, but i never knew it was slang hahha. then what's the correct way of saying it? &i thought pig in cantonese was "g". cause at home, my parents call me that cause i was born in year of the pig, so it caught on being my nickname, g or gg.

Guest simpletea

dai luk mo (wear green hat) <--- Your SO is cheating on you.

oh mannn i remember hearing my cousin saying that to another relative :o

i actually know quite a few that the OP posted and my cantonese fails. i didn't know they were slang though. must watch more TVB.

Archived