Gong Hyo Jin 공효진

melusine

She's been chosen as the new model for sports drink Aquarius.

Making Of: [YouTube] [Y-Star]

2011072817142977534_171738_0.jpg

via Chosun, Hankyung

20110811183607541.jpg

20110811190107572.jpg

via Wstarnews

3537859120_B2zslNqA_25.jpg

3537859120_tSqB90db_26.jpg

via http://soopent.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=photo&wr_id=2&sca=공효진

20110811164925798g6_165219_0.jpg

20110811162245446g6_165219_0.jpg

20110811164928799g6_165219_0.jpg

20110811164912797g6_165219_0.jpg

via Star In E Daily

_1.jpg

_3.jpg

B1D8C0E5B1A4B0ED_2.jpg

B1D8C0E5B1A4B0ED_4.jpg

_5.jpg

via http://blog.naver.com/chaihyoun/110115531124

3537859120_0qJLK23C_BKL_9475.jpg

3537859120_zWT1yxqe_BKL_9488.jpg

3537859120_ukTyFgRx_ZH9W1239.jpg

via http://soopent.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=photo&wr_id=2&sca=공효진

20110811230404105.jpg

20110811185804543.jpg

20110811183404544.jpg

20110812023603744.jpg

via Wstarnews

20110804121409942h9_122606_0.jpg

via JKN

2011072910323374034_104715_2.jpg

2011072910323374034_104715_1.jpg

2011072910323374034_104715_0.jpg

via The Star Chosun, ikbc.net

8989_11709_817.jpg

via Today-News

_10.jpg

_16.jpg

B1D8C0E5B1A4B0ED_12.jpg

via http://blog.naver.com/chaihyoun/110115531124

2011082616000795733_161402_0.jpg

via Sports Chosun

No hotlinking pls!

Guest Yippi1430281996

^Which show are you referring to?

Melusine, is there any english translation for GHJ's interview in MBC Golden Fishery? :D

Big thanks. GHJ, fighting!! :)

Guest love_ella_22

wah~ I meant that too ^^~

I hope they will do eng sub T.T

I wanna understand everything she said

^She's not very popular in international forums, so her interviews/articles rarely get translated. I don't recall ever seeing an English-fansubbed video of her non-drama appearances (at best, we get a few TV-ripped clips from Arirang and KBS World, but never lengthy ones like variety/talk show guestings).

Would love to understand everything she's saying too (most celebrities talk frankly when they're on Golden Fishery, and Hyo-Jin talks A LOT in the ep :D). But for now we'll just have to settle for the raws.

Golden Fishery translated snippets:

http://lsgfan.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/seunggi-for-chung-jung-won-cooking-classes-plus-new-models-jun-ji-hyun-han-ga-in-follow-up-lee-hyori-cf-spam/

http://otayamin.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/gong-vely-revelations/ <-- Hopefully shyangz of *snip* will find part 2 more interesting and translate more fully. fingerscrossed2.gif

http://www.hancinema.net/kong-hyo-jin-i-fainted-while-fighting-with-boyfriend-ryoo-seung-beom-31918.html

Guest Yippi1430281996

There is a picture of Gong Yoo, Lee Sun Gyun, and Cha Seung Won....

Wooooww, I want to know about what she said about three of them.

Some one please help translate, at least the korean words in those pictures that contain those actors' face.  :(

Thank you Melusine for those pics... :)

Like a fairy godmother granting our wishes and making our potato blossom (lol), shyangz has generously and wonderfully offered to translate GHJ's Golden Fishery guesting. She did this recap especially for Soompi and it won't be appearing on her blog, but do check it out -- it has tons of cool Best Love parodies, as well as other Kdrama/K-ent goodies.

So without further ado... Enjoy~!

MBC Golden Fishery - The Knee-Drop Guru 황금어장-무릎팍 도사 Part 1 - July 27, 2011

Watch online: [Japan25.com] 5 parts [WeeklyKVariety]

Direct DL: [Kpopella]

Torrent DL: [D-Addicts] [Kpopweb.net]

[introduction and welcome]

~ From iconic movie actress to the lady who became a flower of romantic comedies

Through her unique style, the top representative fashionista of today~

~ A fashionista of National Treasure status~

~ An actress of National Treasure status~

Our very lo-vely Gong-vely.... SHE'S HERE!~

goldfish_photo110725135305entertain0.jpg

(Gong Hyo Jin arrives. Knee Guru trio make an introduction regarding the 3 words of her name... pretty lame... kk)

20110728085933250e7_090949_0.jpg

Gong - ball. that can tumble on the ground.

Hyo - filial piety.

Jin - Dok Go's Jin. To make a point, Jin with a ribbon, is a present to (Gong Hyo) Jin. Geuk bok!

Yoo Sae Yoon repeats... "Here's a very embarrassing geuk bok"

goldfish_photo110725135305entertain2.jpg

goldfish_photo110725135305entertain3.jpg

Caption says, "And a very embarrassing height difference too" (with Gong Hyo Jin)

Gong Hyo Jin was expecting the usual knee guru action of being carried and asked, "Aren't you doing it?"

Kang Ho Dong, a little shy, hesitated. "How should I do it...? Could you stand in a more convenient way...?"

Carrying her, he said, "You're so light!"

goldfish_photo110725135305entertain4.jpg

goldfish_photo110725135341entertain0.jpg

After making his introduction about the National Treasure Gong-vely, Yoo Sae Yoon remarked... "Wow, here's the human recharger. Is it ok to do some recharging now?"

And she did... lol (lightning effect)

goldenfisherykneedropgu.jpg

He said, "I'll give you the 1000 won later." (like one of those handphone recharging services in the convenience stores lol)

A small comment by Yoo Sae Yoon, "I dressed like him, but I guess I still don't look like Dok Go Jin..." --;;

Kang Ho Dong: You have a special fashion concept for today, right?

Gong Hyo Jin: I don't really have any concept, I just wear whatever there is... I guess (you asked because) whatever I wear always becomes sold out... (joking)

Yoo Sae Yoon calls her the 'Wan Pan Nyo" (Sold Out Girl) lol.

All Band says her top is made of polyester and doesn't look expensive.

Gong Hyo Jin: I'm just trying to look more well-mannered today. Because many elders are watching the show.

Kang Ho Dong: I feel that when she wears it, it seems expensive.

2011081009433069814_094722_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: Congratulations for the success of Greatest Love. How was the filming like?

Gong Hyo Jin: We were totally focused on the filming and couldn't go anywhere else. Every moment awake was spent on filming, so I didn't realise how popular the drama became. Now that it's all finished, I have regained my senses (about the drama's huge popularity).

Kang Ho Dong: Don't you think that Gong Hyo Jin makes MBC dramas famous? Look at Pasta - it began with the lowest ratings to end with no. 1 ratings! And Greatest Love too...

Gong Hyo Jin: Eh... there was also the (not-so-successful) drama Ruler of Your Own World... Thank You too...

20110727233605975.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: (Because of the drama successes) Did you experience different treatment?

Gong Hyo Jin: First of all, in company gatherings (with other colleagues and drama staff), I got to eat beef! (more expensive than pork) I actually could get to eat beef! heheheh

Gong Hyo Jin: Also... the MBC chief actually asked me to be the MBC mascot!

20110728010050584b0_011214_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: Wow... Why are your collaborations with MBC dramas so successful?

Gong Hyo Jin: I don't know... I guess it's probably because MBC was the earliest broadcasting station, all the 'lines' have been well-laid through all these years...

(Note: 'lines' refer to networks of relationships between various important people in the media industry)

Gong Hyo Jin: MBC has the best cinematography and makes you look prettiest on screen... That's the rumors circulating among actresses...

Kang Ho Dong retorts, "All that talk about lines well-laid on the ground..." (when the real reason is about looking prettiest on screen lol) "Scuse me, the earliest laid lines belong to KBS, fyi!" lol lol

Gong Hyo Jin: (touching hair in embarrassment) Eh, really? ...Well, whatever, you really appear the prettiest on MBC screens! That's what everyone says! lol

110727kong018.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: Well, as time flies, you (get older, not so pretty and) appear less on screen... Are you sure this is the kind of stuff actresses say?

Gong Hyo Jin: Eh... Maybe just with a few of them...?

Yoo Sae Yoon: Seriously, my appearances on MBC are the worst!

Kang Ho Dong: We had tried so hard to get you on the show, but you rejected us before!

Gong Hyo Jin: Hey! You rejected us (Greatest Love staff) too! We were so looking forward to Knee Guru being on the show for Dok Go Jin's ideal type world cup... But you rejected us. You said you were busy, and was filming other programs. You were supposed to film on Greatest Love!

20110728010706966.jpg

Yoo Sae Yoon and All Band getting worked up... lol

Kang Ho Dong: You mean I nearly ended up in a drama?!

Gong Hyo Jin explains what the scene was about, adding, "It was a really important scene!"

Angry, All Band accused, "You should have given us the opportunity to appear in a drama... You?!"

[Watch clip]

20110727233330644e7_234500_0.jpg

(Note: Such a pity. Kang Ho Dong would have been 100 times better than Kim Gura... ^^;;;;)

And in return for the missed opportunity, here's Gong Hyo Jin on Knee Guru~ (what an exchange... kkkk)

Talking about her rejecting earlier invitations, she replied, "I didn't have much to say, having no scandals or irregularities... I haven't gone to any famous film festivals either (like Cannes)... If I appeared, I wondered what else I could say..."

Kang Ho Dong: So here you are on the show, because you are more confident now?

Gong Hyo Jin: Actually it's rather difficult, being on this show. People watch the show and they rate it - "Interesting, not interesting. Likeable, unlikeable." Or worse - "Nothing worth remembering, totally unforgettable." Viewers do this... and there are often new discoveries made in the show (about the celebrity), like the episode when you interviewed Uhm Hong Gil. It was really interesting, him talking about his adventures. I feel that I've nothing to talk about... But 3 days after finishing Greatest Love, I woke up and had the sudden thought, "I must appear on the show!" I felt that it's the best timing now, to appear on the show.

Kang Ho Dong adds, "While you are regarded as the top actress now everywhere..." Gong Hyo Jin nods, "Now's the time when people can accept me when I appear."

She then says that she likes people who are cool and calm, 'cos Yoo Sae Yoon's UV sang the hit song, "Sorry I can't be cool." She listens to UV's new song "Itaewon Freedom" when she's stressed. Happy, UV coolly clench-fists her. "You're cool too?" "Of course~" And she fists back. lol Yoo Sae Yoon adds, "I've always been looking for a cool girl."

[Watch clip]

20110727235057746e7_235921_0.jpg

20110728010050583b0_012229_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong also says that Gong Hyo Jin has always been an actress he wanted to meet. In disbelief, Gong Hyo Jin guesses he says that to all show participants. Yoo Sae Yoon, probably sore about missing Greatest Love, interrupts Kang Ho Dong, "Hyung, today you are the worst!"

[Knee Guru problem of the day]

Gong Hyo Jin: I want to be associated as the actress with good looks. I don't want to hear myself being called "not pretty" anymore.

(Usually the 'problem of the day' part of Knee Guru is just an excuse, silly problems of good actors saying, "I don't think I can act"... which no one pays attention to throughout the show. But today...)

Yoo Sae Yoon's best comment of the day, "What a question that we have to seriously deal with today." (i.e a valid question rofl rofl)

In resignation, Gong Hyo Jin looks away (probably at her manager or something), "This is how the show goes..."

Yoo Sae Yoon, being unusually polite, "What I mean is, rather than beauty, the word to describe you better would be 'charming'."

Gong Hyo Jin speechless.

Yoo Sae Yoon extending fist of coolness, "C'mon, you're cool."

Pissed, Gong Hyo Jin says, "Get rid of that!" Yoo Sae Yoon replies, "Uncool, so uncool." lol

Elaborating on her 'problem of the day', she says that media reports of her always emphasize, "She's not pretty but..." or "She's not the pretty type but..." or "She's not the normal expected beauty but..." She sounds worked up, "I've been hearing this for 12 years, I really hate it!" She sounds like she means it. ^^;

20110728091137925b0_092217_0.jpg

Consoling her real worry, they say that it's better to be praised for talent than looks.

She says, "Isn't it better to be known for both? Frankly, when Han Ye Seul appeared on Knee Guru, (she was so pretty that) you lost control of yourself."

Kang Ho Dong: I see... you were jealous of her, even till today.

Gong Hyo Jin: Yeah. I saw all of that episode, oppa (aegyo attempt)~

goldfish_photo110725135341entertain2.jpg

(Han Ye Seul's famous appearance became known as Knee Guru's 'oppa episode')

Kang Ho Dong went to relive that episode, as Gong Hyo Jin's jealousy gauge rose (on screen, like blood pressure) lol "Let's take a look at Gong Hyo Jin's attempt on 'oppa'." Ready? Let's see how Gong Hyo Jin kickass over Han Ye Seul's aegyo~ This greatest aegyo with charm~ Ready!"

(Note: Her oppa was kind of... weak... lol) [gif]

"What's that?" wrong response from aegyo receiver. ^^;

She insists that it can't be forced, and did her oppa in the middle of her conversation, more naturally, Surprised, Kang Ho Dong says, "It's acceptable." Yoo Sae Yoon - "Not that bad!" Kang Ho Dong - "Good start!" lol

20110728000518069.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: Which actress does Gong Hyo Jin think has the best looks?

Gong Hyo Jin: She would be someone I hope to be born as - Jeon Ji Hyun. If I were to choose between Han Ye Seul and Jeon Ji Hyun, I would choose Jeon Ji Hyun. I just like her face. She has freckles too... I really envy people with freckles. Just a few freckles that are charming will do. I have seen her freckles before, when she had no makeup on. She's pretty with makeup too.

Kang Ho Dong tries another comment to console her, to no avail.

[Watch clip]

2011072809043425498_091111_0.jpg

[Arrogant Profile, by Arrogant Guru Yoo Sae Yoon]

Gong Hyo Jin, born 1980-4-4, 32 years, in Brisbane for schooling, before returning back to Korea 3 years later due to the IMF crisis. She became a CF model for drinks, fruits, telecom, the last being really embarrassing, before debuting in Memento Mori. Met Ryu Seung Beom in drama Wonderful Days as a bus conductor with a one-sided love. Gained attention in Ruler of Your Own World... had another one-sided love with Ryu Seung Beom in Conduct Zero, ...and other works like Snowman, Sangdoo! Let's Go to School... after that, she went into a slump, before overcoming it with Family Ties, and Crush and Blush where she won Best Actress in the Korea Film Daesang Awards. She then won Best Acting for Pasta. Also known as an environmentally conscious actress.

goldfish_photo110725135404entertain1.jpg

(* just a note that at this point... me as a knee guru fan, i was kind of bored. ==;; i was half-wondering if they were not allowed to question her on sensitive issues or something. anyways~)

Kang Ho Dong: Did you discuss with your boyfriend about appearing on this variety program?

Gong Hyo Jin: Chagi doesn't receive much media attention nowadays... No movies... I mean Ryu Seung Beom... So he asked me to talk about him here. I told him, "I'm not talking about you, geddit? (I'm supposed to talk about myself!) He just insisted... that I should talk about him. So I said (ok sign)~"

A very cute scene of Ryu Seung Beom giving a conspiratorial wink. lol

20110728093752982b0_094242_0.jpg

(Note: 'chagi' is an intimate address of your boyfriend/husband. Usually to him, not about him to others. ^^) )

She continued, "So I asked him what I was supposed to say... (tries hard to recall his reply) Oh dear, I forgot what he told me to say... Anyway, just get him on the show and let him talk whatever he wants."

She then talked about her close relationship with her dad, including how her dad will suck on dried squid to make it easier for her to chew when she was young. She regarded that as an expression of her dad's love, but her mum said that her dad was sucking out the good stuff and leaving the residue skin to his daughter.

goldfish_photo110725135341entertain4.jpg

She loves living by herself, away from her parents, since 2 years ago. Her dad still calls her once every 2 days. She doesn't look like she's studied overseas, more like a local-bred tough kid, a childhood spent like a Korean version of Jungle Book.

Went overseas after her 3rd year in high school, with her mum and younger brother, while her dad worked in Korea to support them. Brisbane was chosen because Australia had favorable exchange rates then, and the city had less Koreans, to better practise her English.

She had a tearful farewell with her boyfriend, exchanging rings, often crying at the window while reading his letter, like in a movie.

20110728001110704.jpg

When landing in Brisbane, she realised it was a suburban area, with lots of fields. She found the grandpa guiding the planes with flags (airport controller?) amusing, 'cos he wore pants and knee socks, unimaginable in Korea. lol She said he looked like a high school kid, and that image left a deep ('shocking') impression in her mind.

110727kong005.jpg

Brisbane was so clean one could walk barefoot in their washrooms and shopping centers.

20110728065128403l3_073230_0.jpg

Wildlife encounters - Koalas are so commonplace they come near you. Snakes passing by out of walls. Kidnapping lizards into her pencil case.

Strict school rules (sorry, don't wish to elaborate ^^; ) and how she couldn't get used to schoollife in a foreign country. Went for a camping trip on an island, but didn't know that they had to bring their own food, so together with her only Korean classmate, they stole snacks and drinks from others' bags out of no choice. A kangaroo kicked only their tent, out of the many tents in the area. Kicked by Australia's symbol, she wanted to return to her motherland.

[Watch clip]

20110728065217404l3_073230_0.jpg

Had a Taiwanese boyfriend. Yoo Sae Yoon says that she is so cool, to have 2 boyfriends in 2 countries. She improved her English by listening to her new boyfriend on the phone. They broke up due to differences in entertainment preferences. He couldn't understand why Koreans sing a song about 'Mosquitoes' (by Cola) and she felt insulted. He also felt that Andy Lau was much more handsome than Jung Woo Sung. Patroitism aroused, she felt insulted again. lol

[Watch clip]

20110728_1311817172_37635100_1.jpg

Her English lines were pronounced quite well in a movie filmed when she just got back to Korea (Guns & Talks). But her English then was better than now. She misses Brisbane and regards it as her second home.

After returning to Korea, she thought hard about what she's going to do, and remembered being approached by the modelling agency in Australia. So she decided to be a model. Cha Seung Won is her modelling senior, from the 18th batch, while she's the 47th batch. Model celebrities debuting in the same year as her included Kwon Sang Woo and Choi Jung Won from UN.

[Watch clip]

20110728000908787e7_003050_0.jpg

1.5 years after modelling, she was cast in movie Memento Mori. The lead actresses in that movie were Park Yeh Jin, Lee Yeong Jin, Kim Min Seon (Kim Gyu Ri), while she was the supporting lead, as their friend. During the filming of the movie, she ate cake meant for a scene, which was a very embarrassing mistake.

She then felt that she was not meant to be an actress, and preferred being a model. She feels she's an optimistic but realistic person, who doesn't have too much ambitions, preferring the process rather than the goal. After receiving recognition for the movie, she felt a strange happiness and her desire to be an actress increased.

20110728035204627.jpg

That's how she agreed to film the embarrassing telecom CF. After filming that CF, she felt troubled, as troubled as how the Treasure Girls' Gu Ae Jung felt.

20110728090706336e7_092338_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: I guess, whenever guests appear on Knee Guru, those closest to them will feel the most nervous. Now, as this program is on air, the most nervous person, I feel, would be Ryu Seung Beom.

Gong Hyo Jin: (nods)

Kang Ho Dong: You were lovers on the first drama you filmed together...

Gong Hyo Jin: Rather than lovers, it was a one-sided love from my character. I was like, Chul Jin's chewing gum.

Kang Ho Dong: Do you remember your first impression of him?

Gong Hyo Jin: Yes, I do. Nothing significant at all.

[Watch clip]

1987_L_1311813262.jpg

20110728111400746n5_113226_0.jpg

[Next week's preview where she talks about Ryu Seung Beom, Lee Seon Gyun and Cha Seung Won]

20110728002708801.jpg

Part 2 to follow~ We're super looking forward to it. Thank you so much shyangz! Btw love your little asides and lol's. ^_^

Translation credit: shyangz @ Soompi.com

Screencaps: MBC, Kongvely [1] [2], Newsen, TV Report, Review Star, Mk.co.kr, Arts News, Net to News, MaxMovie, TV Daily

• Like 1

Continuation of shyangz's translation... :w00t:

MBC Golden Fishery - The Knee-Drop Guru 황금어장-무릎팍 도사 Part 2 - August 3, 2011

Watch online: [Japan25.com]

Direct DL: [Kpopella]

Torrent DL: [Kpopweb.net]

Where they will be talking about

- the relationship of Gong Hyo Jin and Ryu Seung Beom, more dramatic than any of their works

- the true selves of Jang Hyuk, Lee Seon Gyun and Cha Seung Won shall be revealed

Kang Ho Dong: Debuting in 2001 with the drama Wonderful Days, you played Ryu Seung Beom's lover...?

Gong Hyo Jin: Rather than lover, I was a persistent admirer who chased after him, even though he hated me...

20110728100309383b0_102214_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: Do you remember your first impression of him?

Gong Hyo Jin: (nods) Yeah, I do. It was an extremely insignificant first impression... He had a very fierce expression, compared to now... he had this piercing look.

20110804083750142e7_090301_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: You didn't view him as a man?

Gong Hyo Jin: He was a very outstanding actor. Actually the first time I met him wasn't because of the drama. It was an award ceremony. He was a nominee for a New Actor award. But he was sitting next to Shin Ha Gyun oppa, while I was sitting across the aisle. It was the first time I had attended an award ceremony. When I looked at him, I was awed and thought "Wow, so that guy is Ryu Seung Beom." His film Die Bad had received rave responses, and actually I thought he looked much more handsome in person (than on screen). His skin was so white. And I liked men without double eyelids... and he didn't. To me, he was very attractive... Oh! (clap) and he also received a award. He had been sitting with a very cool pose, and when he was named, he just coolly got up to receive his award. I was impressed. I kept thinking of how cool and charming he was.

Kang Ho Dong: You overlooked Shin Ha Gyun and only focused on Ryu Seung Beom?

Gong Hyo Jin: Yeah... Shin Ha Gyun was very popular then... but Ryu Seung Beom was very attractive.

[Watch clip]

20110804111816596n2_113758_0.jpg

20110803233305680e7_234436_0.jpg

Regarding their first collaboration in the drama Wonderful Days, she said that he was an actor who could totally, scarily, immerse into his character. After being totally comical in front of the camera during filming, he was interviewed in an entertainment news program, and he would suddenly be very cool and collected, pretending to be cool, unsmiling. "At that time, I thought he was being very fake," said Gong Hyo Jin.

She continued, "I guess it was jealousy. I felt we were very similar. We were the same age, both of us went into acting without much training, but he was so well-received, and even received an award. I think I lost my rationality and became very jealous of him. Even when he was being calm and cool, I thought he was being fake and sly."

20110804032906011.jpg

20110804103347511b0_105221_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: So when was the definitive moment when you two got together?

Gong Hyo Jin: We had filmed together for 6 months. The drama was 50 episodes, so it took 6 months to film. It was the first drama for both of us. And the drama is about liking each other. Over 6 months, us liking each other being half-real, half-unreal... I think that's how it all started. Also... both of us actually attended the same elementary school. We were in the same class in first grade. Isn't it amazing? I only attended one semester in first grade, before I transferred to another school. We were from the same class - First grade 2nd class. We even described the teacher to each other (to check if they were from the same class). We even went to the school again. It was fascinating. Everything was the same. Even the playground was the same. Chagi said, "I used to play there." And I said, "Me too! I played there too!"

[Watch clip]

20110803234126703e7_235059_0.jpg

Kang Ho Dong: So after the drama ended, both of you announced your relationship publicly.

Gong Hyo Jin: I have no idea why we did that. But it was the first time in my life that my name appeared on the front page of the papers. I still remember the headline - "We really love each other". I wasn't sure why the news surfaced, but I was very happy I made it to the front page. Haha. My dad treasures this (front page) article a lot too.

Kang Ho Dong: Hahaha. He must have felt, "Our daughter is so capable!"

Gong Hyo Jin: Yeah. To have been able to make it to the front page!

Yoo Sae Yoon: This daddy who sucked dried squid for you!

Her dad keeps all newspaper articles of her.

20110804083348990e7_090301_0.jpg

In 2002, they won the best new actor and actress awards (TV category) during the 38th Baeksang Art Awards for Wonderful Days.

(There's a shot showing grinning Gong Hyo Jin sitting behind Bae Yong Joon, after Ryu Seung Beom received his award... And later her giving a high-five to Ryu Seung Beom on her way down the aisle to receive her award)

She said, "Actually my role was a minor role, but thanks to Ryu Seung Beom, it received a lot of attention. Actually the lead actress was another person. He liked another character, married her and had kids and all that, my character just had a one-sided crush on him."

Because of how good they were acting together, they collaborated again in Conduct Zero, where Gong Hyo Jin was a delinquent and head of a girl gang, who, yet again, has a one-sided crush on Ryu Seung Beom.

Kang Ho Dong: Shouldn't celebrity couples avoid acting in the same works?

Gong Hyo Jin: Normally, that should be the way. But both of us are just... (shakes head nonchalantly) We're like 'whatever. if you like it, do it!' like, who cares! We're new generation! (i.e. rebel against the norm)

Yoo Sae Yoon: 'New generation' is such an old term!

Kang Ho Dong: Yeah... It's the generation before Generation X. lol

Yoo Sae Yoon: Between both generations, there's an 'N' Generation too... (N for new? lol)

Kang Ho Dong: Don't you feel so wronged, to be always a character with one-sided love?

Gong Hyo Jin: I think I'm regarded as an actress specializing in one-sided love. (from Wonderful Days, to Conduct Zero, and also Ruler of Your Own World)

Kang Ho Dong: Then how about the real situation between the both of you at that time?

Gong Hyo Jin: We fought badly, everyday... to the extent that we couldn't meet our friends together as a couple. In case we fought in front of them.

Kang Ho Dong: But even as you fought, you could still act together?

Gong Hyo Jin: Yeah. We just fought, till we could probably collapse by the time we reached the filming location. It was summer, boiling hot, the heat driving our fights... I was filming 2 productions at the same time - Conduct Zero and Ruler of Your Own World. I was worn out, having no time to sleep and travelling to and fro between Seoul and the other province.

Kang Ho Dong: From Ruler of Your Own World, to Snowman, Sangdoo! Let's Go to School, the works were good, with no criticisms about your acting, it seems you have pretty good luck to get all these works.

Gong Hyo Jin: Yeah.

Kang Ho Dong: Normally top actresses get criticised at least once... but Gong Hyo Jin has never been criticised for her acting before.

Gong Hyo Jin: That's because I'm an actress whose description always started with "Although she isn't pretty but.." that's how I escaped those criticisms. I'm always a case where my reversal is the other way round. (e.g. news that grab attention are about pretty actresses failing to act or not-so-pretty actresses who can actually act lol)

20110804033008859.jpg

Next they talked about her slump, from 2004 ~ 2005. The slump happened after she felt that she has reached the limits of being an iconic movie actress (actress with a 'unique, individualistic personality'), and not getting scripts that she liked.

20110804083134992e7_090302_0.jpg

20110803233735704e7_235059_0.jpg

She split with Ryu Seung Beom in 2003, while she was doing Sangdoo! Let's Go to School.

In order to overcome her ordeals, she reared a pet, and went travelling. She brought her dog to the beach at Namhae (South Sea), playing with the waves.

The emcees found her dog very pitiful, to have to accompany on her trips to the faraway sea. Gong Hyo Jin joked that she told her dog not to be afraid. Yoo Sae Yoon said, "Yeah, I guess after you overcome your slump, your dog would go into a slump." (picture of her cute poodle Toto)

[Watch clip]

20110804084024143e7_090302_0.jpg

Family Ties ended her slump, and was directed by Kim Tae Yong, who was also one of the directors of her debut movie, Memento Mori. She was told that Family Ties was written with her in mind. She was surprised if this was the way people viewed her, because the script was about a girl who rebelled against her mother and beat up her younger brother, but she liked the script very much.

Also there was a scene in the movie where she met an ex-boyfriend, acted by her then real-life ex-boyfriend Ryu Seung Beom too. She had recommended his guest casting for that role, because she felt that it's better to get someone who was influential for that role. (Note: many meanings for influential - star power? her real ex-boyfriend?)

Kang Ho Dong: And Ryu Seung Beom just agreed to it?

Gong Hyo Jin: Yeah. I asked, "Are you going to do it?" He said, "It's interesting... why not?" We have been always like that. He just said, "Why not?" But eventually he was not captured on the camera much ('focus out'), why? Because the main lead is me!

Kang Ho Dong: How thankful you must be to him...

Gong Hyo Jin: That was an impact for him - the misery of being a supporting actor. But we were really thankful to him.

20110804100127564.jpg

She was shocked to see her big full-faced Crush and Blush poster as a billboard on a building. She had begged to change the concept of her poster, 'please understand the heart of a woman', but Director Park Chan Wook wouldn't change it. She had been very amused by the funny script of the movie, which is rare for her. And the script tugged at her heart, even though she didn't want to do the movie because of the image. She was worried that reviewers would say that "this is the role most suitable for Gong Hyo Jin ever" and that it would signal the end of her acting in roles of beautiful characters. But still she took the role, because it was just too funny.

20110804010307336.jpg

And she won her first Best Actress award because of this role. While receiving her award, she said, "Whenever people pointed their fingers at Yang Mi Sook (the character), my desire to win an award increased much more."

20110803234441732e7_235836_0.jpg

Also, Ryu Seung Beom finally praised her acting in that movie, a first in 10 years. He had insisted that she had learnt her acting from him.

20110804082947993e7_090302_0.jpg

"Gong Hyo Jin always has this character of freedom, natural abandon, but the way she can suddenly focus her concentration and energy the next second - I've never seen an actor or actress like that." - Kim Tae Yong, director of Memento Mori, Family Ties

"This woman can do a thousand types of expressions, she's an actress who exceeds your imagination in her next portrayal." - Lee Kyung Mi, director of Crush and Blush

"Like nature, she's someone who's comfortable to be with. This woman, full of charms as an actress, will have my respect, and continuous support." - Ryu Seung Beom

[Watch clip]

110803_Kong.jpg

On to the dramas - Thank You, Pasta, Greatest Love.

First about Thank You. (Note: just watching the scene of her apologizing to Bomie always brings tears) It was written by Lee Kyung Hee, who also wrote Sangdoo! Let's Go to School. She has often been viewed as a person who wasn't feminine enough, so the maternal role in Thank You helped to 'feminise' and soften her image.

Seo Shin Ae, the young actress who acted as Bom, was a very smart and ambitious kid. Even when her crying scenes were approved by the director, she would request to do it again because she was dissatisfied with it.

20110804002558821e7_003127_0.jpg

Gong Hyo Jin was curious why Seo Shin Ae only liked the guys on the set. She thought since she was her mother, shouldn't she like Gong Hyo Jin the most, so she asked her why. While in the embrace of Jang Hyuk, she had replied, "That's because my mum said girls are supposed to like guys, and guys are supposed to like girls!" Gong Hyo Jin rolled her eyes. (to that effect... lol followed by pictures of Seo Shin Ae only with her beloved uncle Jang Hyuk lol)

20110804083850141e7_090301_0.jpg

She treasures the response by the viewers to the drama. It wasn't about who was pretty, but comments like, "Even though life is difficult, (after watching your show) I think I can continue living well." "You gave me a lot of hope." She said while reading the comments, sometimes she will cry.

20110803235941762e7_000903_0.jpg

Pasta! (Note: Drama I was waiting for! Yay!)

It was her first aegyo drama. Where she finally proved she could be cute, to viewers.

Lee Seon Gyun wasn't as gentle as she thought he would be, in real life. He's 100% man, even Kang Ho Dong agrees. There was a scene where he's supposed to touch her hand, but no matter how the director tried to get him to soften the touch, with many NGs, he just continued slapping her hand. When she greets him, he barely answers with a gruff 'yeah' and goes off.

[Watch clip]

20110804103347512b0_105221_0.jpg

20110804031205299.jpg

She had thought he didn't like her, until there was one time he passed by, asked her if she was tired, and gave her a neck massage. She was so touched she wanted to cry. lol

20110803235349753e7_235918_0.jpg

However, when Lee Seon Gyun was on Knee Guru, he had said that Gong Hyo Jin refused to look at his baby daughter's photo even when the rest of the staff did, and that Gong Hyo Jin didn't do so because she didn't want to be distracted. Kang Ho Dong asks if it was because it was difficult getting into her character in the drama.

She goes on that she really wants to genuinely like the other character in the drama. If she gets out of that (and treat Lee Seon Gyun as a real person), it's difficult to continue acting in the drama. She also hopes that the other character views her as the character in the drama, during the filming of the drama, rather than as a real person. She also doesn't like to build real relationships during drama filming because there will be regrets when the drama ends and people have to part ways.

That's why she isn't close to many actors, except Gong Yoo. Yoo Sae Yoon jokes and asks if it's because he has the same surname, and she gamely replies yeah, so that people won't misunderstand.

20110804081517924e7_082409_0.jpg

Lastly, Greatest Love.

There was many cuts while shooting the drama, during the broadcast, so there were times where she could only have 1 hour of sleep a day. Because of that, they often compared how many scenes they had every time they received a script, and would feel better if she had less scenes than others. (less scenes mean more sleep)

Kang Ho Dong couldn't understand the meaning of filming as you broadcast ('live-shoot'), so she explained how constant filming and editing at the same time could result in broadcast on the same day as well.

goldfish_photo110725135404entertain1.jpg

Regarding collaboration with Cha Seung Won, she was initially worried because he was much more senior and experienced than her, that she thought he was very manly and cool... before she quickly adds that she still thinks he is very cool. The emcees then reply that somehow they can all feel Cha Seung Won glaring at them. Gong Hyo Jin says Cha Seung Won has probably quickly increased the volume on the TV while watching the program.

110803kong21.jpg

She says that he is a very detailed and meticulous guy. He believes that in order to act well in a drama, he has to memorize the entire script beforehand. Jang Hyuk was also like that.

[Watch clip]

20110804081259895e7_082327_0.jpg

(Note: I had the sudden thought that Cha Seung Won must have had a headache trying to ambitiously memorize writer Kim Eun Sook's wordy scripts for City Hall lol)

Gong Hyo Jin can't memorize well. So she reads through the entire script and identifies the most difficult scenes first. For lighter scenes, she only starts memorizing on the filming set itself.

20110804103347513b0_105221_0.jpg

What's her secret for being who she is?

She says that strangely for her, she is someone who becomes cuter with age (lol). She started off being very gangster-like in her roles, but as she grows older, she becomes more affectionate.

(and this is Kang Ho Dong's comment of the day)

"For the sake of comparison, does this apply to Lee Seon Gyun (in Pasta) and Cha Seung Won (in Greatest Love) as well? That they are getting old?"

Gong Hyo Jin agrees, "Yeah, they are at an age where it doesn't matter if they try to act cute!"

20110804033124771.jpg

Thus, the weird conclusion is, if actresses want to appear cute and affectionate, they should act opposite old(-er) actors!

Kang Ho Dong goes on, "How about the angle to enhance aegyo? It's better to have a high angle (look up while being cute) right?" Gong Hyo Jin admits that she has thought about this, that you look cuter and more vulnerable if you look up while doing aegyo, which works with Cha Seung Won because he's tall.

Another weird conclusion: if actresses want to appear cute, don't wear heels! (so as to look up lol)

She does a demonstration with 'Hodong oppa' again.

goldenfisherykneedropgua.jpg

Then they talked about the arrogant ending of Greatest Love, where Cha Seung Won said to viewers, "Feel honored to be able to watch this drama." The director had wanted to re-shoot the scene again after that, but all of them refused to and escaped!

20110804081543923e7_082409_0.jpg

When she was 29, she had been very worried, but after entering her 30s, she became relaxed with herself. She also admits to buying a fur coat once, despite being an animal-lover. She caved in after the fur coat she liked was on 70% discount. She says she's someone who can't control her feelings and rational mind.

[Watch clip]

20110804165952738h9_171021_0.jpg

She wrote 'Gong-chek', a book about good daily (earth-saving) habits to introduce to your family and friends.

[Watch clip]

goldfish_photo110725135341entertain3.jpg

Her hope for the future? She hopes that her job as an actress would not change her as a human being.

Finally, to end off the program, the solution to her worry (I want to be considered as a beautiful actress too) is that she can change the standards of what is a 'beautiful' actress. She is very satisfied with this solution.

shyangz cheongmal kamsahamnida!! We GHJ fans really really appreciate it. :wub:

Translation credit: shyangz @ Soompi.com

Screencaps: MBC, Kongvely [1] [2], Newsen, TV Report, Review Star, JK News, mdtoday.co.kr

• Like 1

ctzpo.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/cocacola_korea/status/97913311638732800

wlgwofw.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/cocacola_korea/status/98620242271551489

4xduh.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/cocacola_korea/status/98257217714794496

z31ig.jpg

최고의 사랑의 꾸애정. 아쿠아리우스 모델 공효진씨가 코카-콜라 트위터를 위해 특별히 촬영해주신 사진 대공개! 우리모두 아쿠아리우스로 충전!! 극뽁!! http://yfrog.com/h7z31igj

— Coca-Cola Korea (@CocaCola_Korea) July 29, 2011

pasby.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/cocacola_korea/status/103690904333844480

n1xmnxx.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/cocacola_korea/status/101171556868300802

6ohdsd.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/bluelattestory/status/105931993652543488

Source: Coca Cola Korea's twitter

No hotlinking pls!

http://www.cocacola.co.kr/Aquarius/

aq.jpg

CF: http://www.cocacola.co.kr/CokeTVCfView.aspx?Type=18&Id=163 [YouTube] [YouTube] [Nate] [Nate] [Nate]

Screensaver: http://www.cocacola.co.kr/Download/Aquarius_saver.zip

Wallpaper

th_wallpaper_01_1600x1200.jpg th_wallpaper_02_1600x1200.jpg th_wallpaper_03_1600x1200.jpg

--------------- 800x600 ------------------------ 800x600 --------------------------- 800x600 -------------

--------------- 1024x768 ---------------------- 1024x768 ------------------------- 1024x768 ------------

--------------- 1280x1024 -------------------- 1280x1024 ------------------------ 1280x1024 ----------

--------------- 1600x1200 -------------------- 1600x1200 ------------------------ 1600x1200 ----------

pop_event.png

top_img2.jpg

http://event.1472.me/aquarius/

*waves @ shyangz* No, thank YOU for the recaps! Such a treat to actually understand what Hyo-Jin was saying on Knee Guru--her thoughts on her career, co-stars, love life, and her high school years in Australia. I can't thank you enough for your time and effort in doing the translations. You rock. B)

Aww at the pic you posted. It was wonderful to watch Yoo-Kyung falling in love onscreen, GHJ conveyed the sheer giddiness perfectly.

I was wondering why she wasn't listed on the Fantagio page when I came across this:

Top Korean actress Jeon Do-youn has signed with an entertainment company that manages the career of actress Gong Hyo-jin, according to a press release on Tuesday.

Soop Management, a subsidiary company of fantagio (formerly known as N.O.A Entertainment), confirmed that Jeon signed an exclusive contract with the company.

Source: [10Asia] Jeon Do-youn signs exclusive contract with Gong Hyo-jin agency

Looks like Hyo-Jin's manager has his own subsidiary agency Soop Management within NOA/Fantagio now, and they've also signed on two of Hyo-Jin's close friends - Jeon and Gong Yoo.

There has been much kerfuffle about the behind-the-scenes drama surrounding Myung-Wol the Spy, sparking a debate in Korea and in international online forums about Han Ye-Seul's alleged diva behavior and drama live-shoot conditions. Hyo-Jin is mentioned briefly in this OSEN/HanCinema op-ed, and she was among those quoted in the JoongAng Daily article below:

[...] Han is the most recent in a line of celebrities who have lodged complaints about the rigorous production schedules of television dramas in recent months.

Kong Hyo-jin, the lead actress on “The Greatest Love,” the popular MBC series that came to an end in June, has said in numerous interviews that she resorted to using sleeping pills during the two-month production period because the shooting schedule was so intense.

“We shot six days a week [for two episodes] and were allowed only one or two hours of sleep,” Kong said during an interview with online entertainment news portal Newsen in June. “I felt a lot of pressure to fall asleep in 10 minutes so I was prescribed sleeping pills.” Kong also told the media that none of her staff had time to sleep or take a shower. [...]

Source: [JoongAng Daily] Drama on set after actress walks out

[Edited: I've moved the Bazaar pics to the next page]

Guest Yippi1430281996

Woww, as usual. Thank you so much guys for those pics.. They are really "The Greatest Couple".

I Like GHJ's personal photo.. She looks like prettier..

Guest LOVEcloth

Dokko Jin and Gu Ae Jung! <3<3 They're def. the greatest love couple in Kdrama history. Love their photoshoot in Bazaar; warm and beautiful.

GHJ photoshoot of the water bottle reminds me of Dokko Jin's vitamin water endorsement.

(Another day in Hallyuwood, another pointless survey. :rolleyes: )

Eduwill.net conducted a survey of 840 netizens with the question, “Which male and female celebrity would you want to do volunteer work with instead of going on a summer vacation?” and MC Yoo Jae-Seok and actress Gong Hyo-Jin were both ranked number 1. [via News Wire]

20110809095100188b3_095758_0.jpg

#1 Gong Hyo-Jin: 40.0% (336 votes)

#2 Kim Tae-Hee: 23.7% (199 votes)

#3 IU: 20.0% (168 votes)

#4 Moon Geun-Young: 8.8% (74 votes)

#5 Song Hye-Kyo: 7.5% (63 votes)

#1 Yoo Jae-Seok: 38.8% (326 votes)

#2 Kim Jang-Hoon: 22.5% (189 votes)

#3 Jo In-Sung: 17.5% (147 votes)

#4 Lee Seung-Gi: 16.2% (136 votes)

#5 Nickhun of 2PM: 5.0% (42 votes)

Eduwill.net conducted another survey of 1056 netizens with the question, “Which male and female celebrity do you think reads a lot? [via News Wire, esportsi.com]

1.jpg

2.jpg

#1 Goo Hye-Sun: 29.4% (310 votes)

#2 Go Hyun-Jung: 22.5% (238 votes)

#3 Moon Geun-Young: 19.4% (205 votes)

#4 Gong Hyo-Jin: 15.6% (165 votes))

#5 Kim Hye-Soo: 13.1% (138 votes)

#1 Kim Jae-Dong: 61.8% (653 votes)

#2 Yoo Jae-Seok: 14.4% (152 votes)

#3 Bae Yong-Joon: 13.8% (145 votes)

#4 Lee Seo-Jin: 6.9% (73 votes)

#5 Alex: 3.9% (33 votes)