• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, a new fan here!

Gosh, must be too late, considering Lee Yo Won's career-length :sweatingbullets:

Pardon me because I'm about to write a really long essay(?) :lol: I actually rarely joined any talks or forums, but I don't see much talk about LYW around me, so I wanna share my admiration to her here.

As a starter, I have been more of an idol fan, but I watch Korean dramas/movies occasionally and I also have some actors/actresses I've liked for a long time. However, I don't watch much, so a lot are under my radar, including LYW.

With the current situation, I digged more to dramaland by checking the works of the actresses I liked, which then I ended up to Queen Seondeok (I actually wanted to check for Park Eun Bin, because I liked her in DYLB, but she turned out to just have very little part in this drama :ph34r:).

I did know the existence of the drama from long before, but the amount of episodes dominated me :crazy:

But since boredom got me, why not? And the sageuk dramas/movies I watched before were from Joseon or Goryeo eras, so the curiosity of Shilla era got me, and it's a female ruler!

I jumped in without knowing much about the casts (probably just Yoo Seung Ho, Park Ye Jin, and Shin Se Kyung), but I had heard of the main names; Lee Yo Won, Go Hyun Jung, Kim Nam Gil, and Uhm Tae Woong, just that I never watched them on something, except for UTW but he's not a favourite. And prior to watching, I already knew of how the Queen Seondeok role herself got quite overshadowed by Mishil (it's the kind of drama where you must have heard of at least once even in a passing, I guess lol).

So, because I had no biases while jumping in, I saw them all on the same ground, senior or junior, and wow!! LYW thoroughly impressed me from the very second she first appeared to the last! Deokman became the one I rooted for the most!

But as I searched for what people said about LYW, there's much more on GHJ and KNG. While it's undeniable they're terrific on their jobs and they did deserve the praises, I wanted to read more on LYW too! Where's more talks for the lead character! I wanted to know more about her! Thus I ended up here :)

While I did admit she might not be the best actress, nor the prettiest, she's still a really great actress and really charming! I got trapped when she smiled :D she's got one really beautiful genuine cute smile.

Her acting also got me in its subtlety. I'm not one into big gestures, so hers is the kind that I always liked. And imo, she's one of the most convincing playing cross-dressed!

Deokman's nangdo days were the most impressive for me, even though the princess and queen days were, of course, captivating with so much charisma, I hadn't seen much actresses who's that much convincing pretending to be a man. There might be other great actresses who played princess or queen, but there's not much who can be very convincing in cross-dressing, even willing to get rough and dirty.

Right at that point, I decided to go through till the end of the drama for her, and only for her, even though my reason in the first place didn't appear anymore :sweatingbullets:

I didn't regret to pursue to see more of what LYW had to offer! No disappointments, I definitely fell for her :wub:

Then I browsed through every existing LYW's work on internet, be it subbed or not, even her earlier works that only have little cuts left on internet, I even watched like 2 whole movies without subs with like 50% understanding :P and I got soooo attached.

She's so cute, cool, and hot at the same time! She's just charming all over.

I watched how her acting developed from green to ripe, then observed how she varied her works and emphasized on women power. I definitely adore her passion.

I read some pro-cons on her acting, which is of course inevitable, but the cons were mostly on her 'lack of expression', which I beg to differ. That's actually her strength playing on subtlety, that it could be missed if you don't pay much attention, thus mistaking it to be 'lack of expression'. That's when I shook my head at those people lol

Her works vary so much that she even played mistress role not just once, but twice in Blue Mist and Bad Love! I was :crazy: She's really daring to take it from very young age, but she's capable to do the roles justice.

After much variations, I realized that she's kinda typecasted to get more stoic roles for the past few years, but she actually can differentiate each character. Like how the capable businesswomen Ok Da Jung and Seo Yi Kyung were both cold but one was temperamental and the other didn't waste her emotions, or how the roles of Choi Seo Yoon and Kim Jung Hye were both loveless chaebol daughters but one led her chaebol group and the other knew too little about the world.

Then of course I should mention how in one drama, she could play two extreme polar opposite roles very well. 49 Days was an eye-opener to LYW's capability for me.

I often saw how it can get difficult for an actor to shed their last roles off, especially the depressing ones. Sometimes it would take a toll to their daily life too, and I actually read even LYW seemed to be affected after the depressing role in Bad Love? Then years later, she played another depressing and even lifeless character in Song Yi Kyung, but she could switch perfectly to the cheerful bright Shin Ji Hyun in one go! That really showed growth as an actress. EDIT: forgot to mention that she even could portray a more lively Yikyung in before Yisoo's death and after meeting him again, so it's like she portrayed 3 personalities :D really impressive.

I also love just how well she can build chemistry with her co-stars, men or women, older or younger, as lover or friend, as staff or boss, as colleague or rival, as daughter to the parents, anything! I especially had some hard time what pairing to root for when it comes to romance dramas :phew: because every pair seemed matching.

Also, did anyone realize she's left-handed, but she had to sync with Nam Gyu Ri who's not, so LYW was right-handed there???? That much attention to detail impressed me.

I actually didn't realize it when I watched 49 Days, but when I watched other drama and saw her holding her chopsticks with her left hand, I was like, "Hooooooold up! She's left-handed??????? How did she do in 49 Days? Is NGR also a lefty???" So I looked at the eating scenes in 49 Days and noticed her holding chopsticks with her right hand! I was so shookt :blink: Only in that drama she became right-handed.

(Though I'm guessing she's ambidextrous, because she writes with her right hand, and it's not only on 49 Days, but in real life too. I looked up into it and found only Korean source, which I used translator, that she's left-handed but was forced to write with right hand at home and school? She can even use knife with her right hand. But she can't give up eating with left hand, so that's how she ended up writing with right and eating with left. Interesting trivia :D)

Anyway, detailed immersions like that, and so much more, obviously, showed that LYW could clearly put distinction on different roles' personalities. Every character she played were all not the same and I find that amazing.

I especially love her Junghye portrayal, and she became one of my favourite on-screen female characters of all time :P Junghye is everything from cute to cool! She's also stunning in the fashion game B)

I also haven't seen much actresses who played various period works as much as she did. She played from Shilla era to the 80's! Her classic beauty definitely allows her to fit any era :rolleyes:

From penniless roles to a literal queen role, she's done it all!

Even when she played in medical field, it's all from different eras, including Daemang and May 18 where it's not dominantly shown.

I never saw such versatility in an actress before and I kept getting amazed the more I watched her /swoon

On top of that, she's already married, and when a lot of married actresses fell off the radar, she's one of the few to keep being passionate in acting and even always got leading roles till her latest project! She definitely gets major acknowledgement from professional field.

And I guess because of the married status, that's what got her to lesser romantic roles (though she still got last year). While not having much romantic roles can impact on popularity as time goes, she still got solid projects regardless of ratings :)

I actually found it quite funny that she played a lot of divorcee roles, even in movies? but she actually hasn't played a mother role yet despite that? lol

While she's a good wife and mother irl :lol:

Anyway, lesser romantic roles actually is her plus point too, because what's striking in her roles, especially since Queen Seondeok?, is they didn't really need the male counterparts to shine, even in the male-dominant movies. Most of them were dominant on herself and not dependent on romance even. I appreciate such works in general, so I really enjoyed LYW's works. I grew much respect for her in the shortest time :wub:

Her actual personality also won me over. Her carefreeness and bluntness really got me. She also doesn't expose her private live, but she can avoid the questions wittily.

The personality and brilliance on top of the great figure and pretty face? What's not to like B)

After all the growing attachment, I feel quite empty now that there's no news yet for her next project :sweatingbullets: but at least she's still updating Instagram :D

Well, other than break, I guess the current situation is also risky to take on a project even for next year. Though I did see on some of this year articles that her management said she got love calls and she pondered carefully on what to take next.

So, what and when it is, I'm already looking forward to it! :ph34r:

Edited by sillys1
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Hello Sillys1,  welcome to posting here.

Interesting observations you have in 49 Days.  I’ve had actually been wondering how come Yi Hyun (possessed) eating with her right hand when Yowon normally does the other hand in most if not all of her dramas.  How about when she isn’t possessed, did she eat ramen with her left hand as usual?

Maybe we all can take a quiz about her eating in dramas.  Here is my guess…

QSD – no chopsticks.  The only scene I can remember her eating chicken bare hand but not sure if it is left or right.  The scene where she running away with Yushin seating in the cave.  She doesn’t eat much in this drama.  All the heartache and headaches have filled her up.

Bad Love – both right and left, maybe mostly left?

Night Lights – left only.  The CEO has no time to munch.  Twice I can recall.

Empire of Gold – probably has the most eating scenes in all of her projects?  Left hand.

Avengers Social Club – left.  She’s really cute/funny when it comes to eating/drinking. 

Surgeon Bong Dal Hee – left.  I might re-watch again.  There are some scenes touching me to tears.  Her relationship with her mom for one.  The portrayal of her desire to becoming a surgeon despite her heart problem has also moved me.

Miss Temper – left

Different Dreams – left.

Overall Yowon does have quite a list of memorable roles.  She’s talented and versatile.  With her classic beauty, down-to-earth personality and nice to her fans, there’s nothing else I wish in an actress whom I have the utmost respect and admiration.  Long live the Queen!

Hi, QSD, thank you for the welcome!

Yeah, after I realized she's left-handed, I browsed through 49 Days again to check her eating scenes. I confirmed Yikyung held chopsticks with right hand, even on the flashback scenes with Yisoo. I suppose if it's just spoon or fork, it's interchangeable, even for right-handed, but she consistently held chopsticks with her right hand in 49D.

But her ambidexterity surprised me again when in ASC, Junghye peeled apple with knife in dangerous way lol Yowon did it safely.

Usually even if a lefty is ambidextrous, they still use their dominant left hand to do tricky stuffs, especially with knife, but she can use it just fine.

The other actress I noticed to be ambidextrous was Shin Se Kyung, but idk about the rest of left-handed actors xD

There are probably more, but the ones I saw mostly did everything with left hand. It's just fascinating to see both hands function equally haha

But noticing those made me conscious of her hands like a creep lol (which are pretty btw :wub: I like her hands, slender and long)

Yeah, I enjoy most of her works. She chose great characters that always enchanted me. So now I'm having quite a withdrawal after binge-watched everything :joy:

Yes, her hands are beautiful.  They are slim and long just like her body frame.  That’s not always the case to all tall people.  Despite their long builds, their hands are not proportional to their bodies, in particular to the fingers.  Yowon’s fingers are graceful.  In general speaking, Yowon is elegantly looking persona that I’ve noticed when I’ve seen her in QSD, which is the first time I’ve ever watched any of her works.  Her regal aura is noticeable.

Yes, she has great figure from top to toe! She does fit authoritative roles with fabulous outfits to the core. She's so charismatic :wub:

But I also dig her emotional acting, like when she snapped in Perfect Number and Running Mates, even though she's just ordinary persons. The switch from calm and collected to hysteric was really good.

Btw, is she the type to regularly post SNS or once-in-awhile type? I actually expected the latter, but she's posted more than I expected since I followed her, even though she didn't show much of her face lol

Oh yeah she’s also great in emotional outburst scenes.  It’s intense.   Kinda shocked as she’s really calm and poised throughout the drama/movie. 

I also think she’s not very active on SNS.  When she does posting something, it’s mostly doesn’t show her face but rather about art exhibitions or skies/scenery.

Talking about her outfits, I miss seeing her fashion in dramas.  Love the coats in NL.  Which drama you have the most impression of her outfits?