[drama 2009] Three Brothers / Suspicious Three Brothers 수상한 삼형&#5

Guest C51236

Guest lucky_moon

I am beginning to count the days when this show is going to end ! Please tell me it's epi 50 I really can't stand it anymore ! I know eventually All Wells End Wells but seriously Umi shoud just leave her husband !!

I notice the epi 42 there seem to be a wedding.. whose wedding is that ?

I believe it's EY younger sister wedding.. it's too much torturing watching the annoying EY, she is just so stubborn and IS is in her obey and will not say anything, this kind on daughter in law deserve to have such a mother in law, no matter she raised with a mother or not but no one at her house can stop her arrogant behavior, hoe come a grow up woman behave like this..

it's only for Umi I'm watching the drama and her fabulous acting on portraying the role perfectly :)

I think YH will not stop seducing Umi husband and Umi' mother need to awake from the love and teach YH a lesson, she should kill her and spend her rest of her life on the person at least she did something good for her daughter in her life :PJ/K

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zzola1003

I am beginning to count the days when this show is going to end ! Please tell me it's epi 50 I really can't stand it anymore ! I know eventually All Wells End Wells but seriously Umi shoud just leave her husband !!

I notice the epi 42 there seem to be a wedding.. whose wedding is that ?

yes, Umi should just leave HC. There's no point in holding the 10yrs of fake marriage. Both of them will just hurt each other if they continue living as they are now. Even if HC got rid of the snake friend, he is still infatuted with his work and Umi being unable to express her feeling and softens a bit to HC, I don't see where this couple going to have a happy ending. Goshhh .. Umi deserve better man than HC.

probably bu yeoung (EY's young sister) marriage .. i hope i am not wrong

Guest revengeoftheflowers

If the Mother in Law does something about that richard simmons Yeon Hee, I will forgive all of her past monstrosities. If nothing else, you know that mother in law can call it out and yell and scream and be completely evil.

Guest sondambifan

I believe it's EY younger sister wedding.. it's too much torturing watching the annoying EY, she is just so stubborn and IS is in her obey and will not say anything, this kind on daughter in law deserve to have such a mother in law, no matter she raised with a mother or not but no one at her house can stop her arrogant behavior, hoe come a grow up woman behave like this..

it's only for Umi I'm watching the drama and her fabulous acting on portraying the role perfectly :)

Slightly different take on the situation re EY...her gender should have nothing to do with it. Why should she have to "bow down" to the MIL without complaint (especially if the MIL is crazy like IS's mom).

Another way to look at is: What if EY was a "son" and IS was a "daughter" We would completely expect IS to look after the needs of EY's family and live with them. In this scenaio, IS' mother would not dare to say the things that she says to EY. She believes she is justified to tell off her DILs because they "married into the family." EY play the "son" role in her family and acts accordingly. I understand the Asian way of looking at things and the DIL should be dutiful and obey the MIL. But that's what Umi does and look where it gets her.

With that said, EY is a little over the top and bratty. But that's sort of her character from the beginning.

Guest dbskiluvu

I think I've asked this before, but towards the beginning of the drama there was a quote when Isang and Eoyeong started to go out. He sent her a text with a whole bunch of "I love you"s and told her to put them in the fridge and take one at a time or something and to tell him if she runs out...can someone give me that quote in Korean? Please? I would greatly appreciate it. :) Thank you~~ ^^

Guest ahhahha

i just have to say.. i loooove lee joon-hyuk!! i can't believe he is only a 84er.. and i saw the Happy Together variety show episode he was in with the other actors. He's so genuine and passionate about acting. is there a thread here just for him!? can't seem to find one.. he's my new favorite korean boy! ^^ hehe (i used to heart 2pm.. but now that they have been out of the picture, i needed a new infatuation. great timing! ^^

Do you understand the "Happy Together" show? I find difficulty in understanding what they said as i dont know korean. Do you mind telling me briefly about what were they talking about? particularly Le Jun Hyuk's part, I like him too. Thanks. Lee does have a link here by himself, here is the thread:

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253987

Cheers!

Guest 2Van123

Slightly different take on the situation re EY...her gender should have nothing to do with it. Why should she have to "bow down" to the MIL without complaint (especially if the MIL is crazy like IS's mom).

Another way to look at is: What if EY was a "son" and IS was a "daughter" We would completely expect IS to look after the needs of EY's family and live with them. In this scenaio, IS' mother would not dare to say the things that she says to EY. She believes she is justified to tell off her DILs because they "married into the family." EY play the "son" role in her family and acts accordingly. I understand the Asian way of looking at things and the DIL should be dutiful and obey the MIL. But that's what Umi does and look where it gets her.

With that said, EY is a little over the top and bratty. But that's sort of her character from the beginning.

Its because of that that Yee Sang moved to her house. She doesn't seem to have any consideration for him or his family. Its as if since he moved in, he should focus on her family instead. She seems to lack compassion, empathy and the ability to compromise. Everything is what she wants and its all "MY Dad, MY sister, MY family" and her reference to her in-laws as her husband's family (not hers?!) is very telling.

He made a lot of mistakes but chiefly they are :-

1. Marrying her

2. Moving into her house

3. Lowering his IQ in an attempt to match her EQ

Guest sondambifan

Its because of that that Yee Sang moved to her house. She doesn't seem to have any consideration for him or his family. Its as if since he moved in, he should focus on her family instead. She seems to lack compassion, empathy and the ability to compromise. Everything is what she wants and its all "MY Dad, MY sister, MY family" and her reference to her in-laws as her husband's family (not hers?!) is very telling.

He made a lot of mistakes but chiefly they are :-

1. Marrying her

2. Moving into her house

3. Lowering his IQ in an attempt to match her EQ

All valid observations except those "flaws" would be more acceptable (and maybe expected) if she was the "husband" and YS was the "wife". YS' mom expected for her to do the same thing...to leave her family, come live in YS's house, serve the MIL and FIL, to place her own family second, and to say nothing in the meanwhile (i.e. the 2nd daughter in law). Why should the wife have to move into the husband's family, put her family/career second, and do what the MIL tells her to do? We don't expect that from a husband...

EY is essentially the "eldest son" of her family and thus acts like an "eldest son". In fact, she is even more than the eldest child because she also had to plan the "mother" role to her sister. You could call EY bratty/selfish but you could also call her independent and loyal to her family.

I just don't see the outrage just because the roles are reversed. In essence, YS and EY's relationship (overly nice husband with domineering and strong woman) is the complete opposite of the 2nd brother and his wife (unappreciative husband with a completely loyal/dependent wife)...both are unhealthy in their own ways

Guest 2Van123

All valid observations except those "flaws" would be more acceptable (and maybe expected) if she was the "husband" and YS was the "wife". YS' mom expected for her to do the same thing...to leave her family, come live in YS's house, serve the MIL and FIL, to place her own family second, and to say nothing in the meanwhile (i.e. the 2nd daughter in law). Why should the wife have to move into the husband's family, put her family/career second, and do what the MIL tells her to do? We don't expect that from a husband...

EY is essentially the "eldest son" of her family and thus acts like an "eldest son". In fact, she is even more than the eldest child because she also had to plan the "mother" role to her sister. You could call EY bratty/selfish but you could also call her independent and loyal to her family.

I just don't see the outrage just because the roles are reversed. In essence, YS and EY's relationship (overly nice husband with domineering and strong woman) is the complete opposite of the 2nd brother and his wife (unappreciative husband with a completely loyal/dependent wife)...both are unhealthy in their own ways

The outrage is not because she is acting like the eldest son in her family. She is rude, offensive, domineering to others and even to her Dad. Even her Dad told her that things have changed and she is now a married woman and can no longer make decisions independently. And as others had pointed out, she knew what her MIL was like yet immediately after the marriage it was "why do I have to live like this", "how could MIL treat me like this", etc, etc. Why me, poor me, me, me, me ....

Guest ripgal

I kinda agree with sondambifan that it would be a totally different scenario if EY was the husband and YS the wife. But it is a common scenario in Korea right now (well at least from TV that I've seen). Men are the dominant ones whilst women have to earn to be one, or even may not become one at all.

However, like what 2Van123 has pointed out, it's not because she hasn't bowed down to YS's mother, or that she didn't move into their house. I don't even hate her for that. But it's just that she doesn't even show respect to her own family and her husband (she just screams at him and throws a tantrum when she knows her husband has difficulties getting thru to his mom). And she doesn't really make an effort to fit in to his family. All she does is complain how incompetent her husband is in trying to make her life easier when she's with his mom, not knowing or not trying to understand how much he has to go thru in trying to be the middle person. I'm not saying that she doesn't love her family or isn't a responsible elder daughter..etc, but that's a different thing altogether right?

That's the exact reason why I'm not happy with Hyun Chal too. He's essentially the same as EY, except that he shows more respect to his parents. But he makes no effort at all in his relationship with his wife, even his wife's mother, no matter how crazy she is.

To me it's not much different, EY and HC. It's not because they're men or women to me so we expect so much so much from him or her. It's that basic respect that each party in a marriage deserves. And I'm sure most of you can agree that both YS and Umi don't deserve to be treated the way they're being treated right now.

Guest pint0

EY's first boyfriend lied to her that his Mother bought and furnished an apartment for them. She was thrilled with the apartment and happily anticipating her moving in. She was sad to leave her family, particulary her Dad but excited to get married and move to her new home. The Dad was equally sad to see her go but happy that his daughter was finally settling down with the man she love(d).

Guest sondambifan

ripgal...completely agree with just about everything you said. My posts aren't that EY is a "good" person but that her attitude and behavior would be much less "shocking" if she was the "husband".

You raised a good point regarding HC...he yells at his MIL and tells her off without concern for his wife or the respect that he "should" allot her. In fact HC is much worse in that he actually doing something worth being called out for. No one (other than you) have pointed out why he does not treat his MIL with respect or do what she tell him to do.

I also agree with your comment regarding the respect issue...marriages should be about mutual respect. EY and HC are simply flip sides of the same coin where one spouse is domineering over another to the detriment of the marriage. It's just that EY's side of the coin is far less depicted.

As for YS/Umi, I agree that they are the "victims" in the situation but I also think they have some blame in the issue.

YS is a really bad mediator between EY and his mom, which make the situation a lot worse. YS dad talked to him about how important it is for him to play the mediator role between the two so that the relationships can be good. YS is just too much of a straight shooter and naive to get it on his own (e.g. Umi had to help him regarding role playing in front of the mom).

Umi is too passive for her own good...she has been the dutiful wife for ten years without any complaints. The Umi/HC marriage is a classic example of a relationship where both parties do not understand what each other wants. Umi just want to fill appreciated by her husband while HC wants a "business" partner.

2van123...please read my posts completely...my focus was not about how EY is justified in what she does but rather that it's interesting how "shocking" EY's behavior is to Asian society (see the MIL's reaction) v. HC's behavior (I don't see HC's mom telling him to treat his MIL better). As I stated in my last post, EY/YS's relationship is just like HC/Umi's in that there is a completely inequality of respect, which results in both relationships to be unhealthy. Yet, my sense of it is that most Asians are much more shocked by EY's actions toward her MIL than HC is to his.

Granted, EY knew about the MIL before she got married it could also be said that YS knew about EY's personality before he married her.

pint0...agree that EY's stance is a little hypocritical...but her first relationship was not exactly healthy either. I also think the age thing is a factor...EY takes advantage of YS because she is "older" than him...it's not an excuse but rather an explanation/justification in her mind. Again going back to the unhealthy relationship part.

"Three Brothers" takes third win on TV chart

KBS2 weekend drama "Three Brothers" took another win on television charts last week, remaining the most-watched televised show for the third consecutive week, according to statistics on Monday.

Figures by TNS Korea and AGB Nielsen Media Research revealed that the show held fast onto its position atop both charts with viewership ratings of 36.8 percent and 36.3 percent viewership, respectively, for the week of March 1 to 7.

The family drama follows the story of three brothers played by Korean actors Ahn Nae-sang, Oh Dae-gyu and Lee Jun-hyuk.

Meanwhile, historical drama "Slave Hunters" stayed at No. 2 with ratings of 32.7 percent on TNS chart and 32.6 percent on AGB polls.

Rounding off the top three shows last week was variety program "Happy Sunday" with ratings of 32.3 percent and 30 percent on TNS and AGB charts, respectively.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Original article: http://10.asiae.co.kr/Articles/new_view.ht...030811204640029

Guest b00kw0rm

Hi sondambifan, I think HC did treat his MIL with respect in the early days of his marriage. Because she said twice "how he has changed towards her". He said that it was her continuous asking him for money and treating him like her personal ATM machine that changed his attitude towards her. And Umi told her Mother that the way HC treats them (Umi included) is because of her mother.

From the start of the show, we have seen the way HC treats his MIL, We have also seen how EY's MIL treated her. Yet she told YS that she can handle it, she can win her MIL over, etc. It was immediately after marriage that she changed her tune so I don't agree with your statement that he knew about her personality before he married her. And I don't know why the age gap is a factor. Its only 3 years. Especially to someone who is supposed to be a modern and independent gal! Someone please enlighten me on this!

I had forgotten about her first boyfriend and the apartment. Good reminder, pinto! At that time she didn't know that he was lying to her so yeah, agree that her stance is hypocritical.

Guest 2Van123

2van123...please read my posts completely...my focus was not about how EY is justified in what she does but rather that it's interesting how "shocking" EY's behavior is to Asian society (see the MIL's reaction) v. HC's behavior (I don't see HC's mom telling him to treat his MIL better). As I stated in my last post, EY/YS's relationship is just like HC/Umi's in that there is a completely inequality of respect, which results in both relationships to be unhealthy. Yet, my sense of it is that most Asians are much more shocked by EY's actions toward her MIL than HC is to his.

Yeah, I got that point. But I didn't comment on it because its fairly obvious that HC's Mother and Umi's Mother are enemies. They just detest each other. Whenever one suffers just the slightest discomfort, the other rejoices and thinks that she has it coming to her. So no, HC's mother would never tell her son to treat his MIL better. In fact she told him that he was too good to his wife and her family. I think she even said that he treats his MIL better than her.

Again, we are not shocked - and I'm not Asian BTW - by EY's actions but the 380degree change immediately after her marriage. That behavior extends to her own Dad and her husband. All she has been doing is whine or throw a temper tantrum. That's what the outrage is about. Our true blue Asians in this forum can comment on that if you want a real Asian perspective.

Guest Greenrose934

Yeah, I got that point. But I didn't comment on it because its fairly obvious that HC's Mother and Umi's Mother are enemies. They just detest each other. Whenever one suffers just the slightest discomfort, the other rejoices and thinks that she has it coming to her. So no, HC's mother would never tell her son to treat his MIL better. In fact she told him that he was too good to his wife and her family. I think she even said that he treats his MIL better than her.

e.

HC's mother and Umi's mother is two different ways to live

HC's mother is a type of woman who's always bossily ,controlling her family ,husband , boys and in-law ,even she has NOTHING ,jobless .lazy...needing someone feeding ...just like a pig ( only her husband 's security not her )

She's very difficulty like a Porcupine always ready to abuse anyone .... close to her..

Umi's mom .. she always has fun ... even no money .....loves everyone ( not HC's mistress )....yes she does working for EY family .. she must be younger forever...

life is too short ... I like her way :):lol::D

EY"( Isang's wife) will be the same HC's mom very soon ... :rolleyes:

Guest mekka

There is a saying you always marry the closest resemblance to your parents. (something like that) sadly ILsang maries a woman just like his mum.

Following thru all the episodes until the current episode 42, what keeps me staying put in this show is the diversified character of the good, the bad and the neutral people.

Yes, i have to agree that EY character can be as loud, arrogant and annoying at times, but i am very keen and excited to see the storyline development of EY and Yi Sang. If i remember clearly in the earlier episodes during the courting stage of EY and YS, a lot of promises have been made by Yi Sang. But in a real word, marriage is entirely different as opposed to dating phase.

When it comes to the household affairs, HC & YS are quite simple minded whereas Umi is quite detailed.

Umi's character is getting slightly stronger, but would be interesting to see what she'll do or not do next. Hopefully, she'll be more independent.

For all the kdramas which i have watched, they always portray marriage as a very difficult, hassle and complicated process especially when it comes to own parents vs. in laws and of course, the proper culture and belief.

Guest Greenrose934

When it comes to the household affairs, HC & YS are quite simple minded whereas Umi is quite detailed.

Umi's character is getting slightly stronger, but would be interesting to see what she'll do or not do next. Hopefully, she'll be more independent.

She's independent to drink in the dark of her 2 boys bedroom :rolleyes:<_<:lol::D

she'll be forever a slave of this family :lol::D

Archived