Taeyeon (snsd) Failure At Seoul Drama Awards 2009

Guest spuddevaughn

Guest Mace-Face

there are songs that a singer can sing... and there are songs that a singer can't sing... that type of song is probably a type that she isn't good in... she was off tune though... and yes... i did catch the part where she didn't sing a little bit and then started singing again... it made it seem like she didn't know the lyrics during that part or she forgot that it was her turn to sing... but... awe... well... no one is always perfect on stage during an actual performance...

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think it was that bad....the topic starter kind of exaggerated a bit too much. Yeah, it wasn't the best performance of Taeyeon, but the MISA theme song is in a minor key if I'm not wrong, so it's already very hard to sing. I think that the fact that their voices completely don't complement each other was a larger problem.

All in all though, I still enjoyed it. Brought me back to the scenes of those dramas :)

Don't come in here acting all high and mighty - if you think you know the difference between real talent and trained talent then explain it to him/her. Comments like "If I knew you guys irl I would laugh in your face." is just irrelevant, rude and unnecessary, okay, kiddo? :)

thanks lizzie mcguire, but the point i was making was that maybe a debate about whether someone has talent or not will bring up more accurate points whereas judging someone's talent as "real" or "trained" is irrelevant unless you really know that person.

i didn't direct my comment at a particular poster and i just stated what i would do if i heard these comments irl.

for you, irl i would just walk away. but anyways, thank you for acknowledging me. a true defender of the peace. oh, and i think your show is on marathon right now on disney so good for you! :)

thanks lizzie mcguire, but the point i was making was that maybe a debate about whether someone has talent or not will bring up more accurate points whereas judging someone's talent as "real" or "trained" is irrelevant unless you really know that person.

i didn't direct my comment at a particular poster and i just stated what i would do if i heard these comments irl.

for you, irl i would just walk away. but anyways, thank you for acknowledging me. a true defender of the peace. oh, and i think your show is on marathon right now on disney so good for you! :)

Earlier you were just hinting at it but now you've proven yourself to be a real richard simmons bag.

Don't worry, in real life someone like you couldn't possibly get near someone like me :) .

^

^

you've proven yourself to be quite a strawberry shortcake yourself.

i'm glad you think so highly of yourself jane. :mellow:

edit: ok, you can stop talking to me now. :)

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if it wasn't made to be a duet, on Japanese music shows they change those popular ballads into duets/trios very often. See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw6loStPQw8

you know they sing most of the song by themselves in that clip? it's a much better version i agree, but the korean version they tried to make it a straight up 2-part harmony duet. probably in a very short period of time. with little practice. of course it would be bad. your clip doesn't seem that relevant here since it was the female version with it being mostly sung by two female singers and the male singer doesn't harmonize. it was smart of them to do that though.

^

you know they sing most of the song by themselves in that clip? it's a much better version i agree, but the korean version they tried to make it a straight up 2-part harmony duet. probably in a very short period of time. with little practice. of course it would be bad. your clip doesn't seem that relevant here since it was the female version with it being mostly sung by two female singers and the male singer doesn't harmonize. it was smart of them to do that.

Yes, Jane thinks very highly of herself - glad you noticed.

I don't know what you meant by "you've proven yourself to be quite a strawberry shortcake yourself" but it sounds delicious and I thank you.

Guest colloquy

^

^

edit: ok, you can stop talking to me now. :)

you know they sing most of the song by themselves in that clip? it's a much better version i agree, but the korean version they tried to make it a straight up 2-part harmony duet. probably in a very short period of time. with little practice. of course it would be bad. your clip doesn't seem that relevant here since it was the female version with it being mostly sung by two female singers and the male singer doesn't harmonize. it was smart of them to do that though.

My point is that it's completely irrelevant that the song wasn't originally composed for two people to sing. Basically any ballad can be rearranged if need be and sung as a duet. Even if their voices aren't suitable for one another, it could have been pulled off better... a lot better. On Taeyeon's part, the harmonization wasn't the only thing that was working together - even her solo was pretty poor. She even failed to bring any kind of emotion to the song, which is something any good ballad singer does.

Guest djook1205

Ummm failure kinda seems too harsh. First of all the song was in a guy's key which was tough to begin with, but she was also singing the higher harmony part which can also be a challenge, ESPECIALLY if you can't hear the background instrumental or the melody. Anyways, yeah it wasn't her best, but unless you have performed in the same situation as her, you have no right to talk :/ I'm just speaking from a vocal performer's stance. I'm just trying to say you should be more understanding.

Guest liltickle

My guess is that she wasn't feeling right that day. Yes, the duet was not the best, but she did her best. Taengoo's solo wasn't her best either. Maybe the duet was a rushed, not enough time to prepared? It's okay, Taengoo... Singers have their days...Taengoo fighting! Park Hyoshin did great...

Guest damifino

harsh to call it failure, she's up there singing, while you are watching behind a computer

Well, considering that SINGING is Taeyeon's profession and it isn't the profession of the poster... I'm sure if the poster did poorly at her job, people who saw her doing poorly would comment on it also.

I don't get all the "I'm sure she's better than you" responses in here. So what if she's better than the poster? Singing isn't the profession of most Soompi posters. It's ludicrous to say that only people who can sing can comment on singers. Do people have to know how to act in order to critique actors? Do they have to be pretty to comment on other people's looks? Do they have to be an athlete to comment on an athlete missing a goal, hit, etc.?

As for the performance itself, it was pretty hard on the ears, but not all singers are right for every song, the same range doesn't fit every singer, AND singers all have their off days. It happened, but it's over. It isn't the end of the world.

Guest lovesong3208

Taeyeon is probably the one out of SNSD who i like for her vocal skills.

But i have to say that she messed up in this performance.

maybe she wasn't feeling well?

Guest roseseraphix

On Taeyeon's part, the harmonization wasn't the only thing that was working together - even her solo was pretty poor. She even failed to bring any kind of emotion to the song, which is something any good ballad singer does.

tbh, as much as i love taeyeon. u can see that from my avatar, she did bad in this song. she should not have started the song in such a high key. and about the harmonizing. it was horrible. still i find that both their voices do not suit for each other. but still, the ending part was wayyyy better than the start.

Guest MrConsultant

i think "failure" doesn't necessarily mean failure, people. do you not watch how that term is thrown around for comical purposes. It has certain connotations that certainly do not compare in meaning to its actual dictionary meaning.

for some reason, the way both sides of the people are acting are reminiscent of how netizens reacted towards jae beom and the equivocal words he used.

My point is that it's completely irrelevant that the song wasn't originally composed for two people to sing. Basically any ballad can be rearranged if need be and sung as a duet. Even if their voices aren't suitable for one another, it could have been pulled off better... a lot better. On Taeyeon's part, the harmonization wasn't the only thing that was working together - even her solo was pretty poor. She even failed to bring any kind of emotion to the song, which is something any good ballad singer does.

:)

Well, considering that SINGING is Taeyeon's profession and it isn't the profession of the poster... I'm sure if the poster did poorly at her job, people who saw her doing poorly would comment on it also.

I don't get all the "I'm sure she's better than you" responses in here. So what if she's better than the poster? Singing isn't the profession of most Soompi posters. It's ludicrous to say that only people who can sing on singers. Do people have to know how to act in order to critique actors? Do they have to be pretty to comment on other people's looks? Do they have to be an athlete to comment on an athlete missing a goal, hit, etc.?

As for the performance itself, it was pretty hard on the ears, but not all singers are right for every song, the same range doesn't fit every singer, AND singers all have their off days. It happened, but it's over. It isn't the end of the world.

I couldn't have said it better.

Addendum: it annoys me when people (especially on this forum) use that as an argument.

The next time anyone tries the whole, "But can you sing better than -insert idol here-??" I'm going to screen cap it, stamp ARGUMENT INVALID and post the image.

edit: ok, you can stop talking to me now.

My pleasure.

=X

omg.. i LOVE 박효신's voice. i don't think there was anything wrong with taeyeon's voice. its just that her voice and 박효신's voice don't go together. 박효신's voice is r&b and Taeyeon's voice is pop.

Guest Dipyramidal

It wasn't THAT good, but it wasn't THAT bad. The voices dont match very well and also Taeyeon seemed nervous and not consistent in this performance? maybe its because its in front of so many people and live? But anyway, seemed like a bad day for Taeyeon.

Guest x0_saturn_0x

Calling her performance a failure is quite out of line.

No, it definitely was not her best performance and the harmonization was not what we all expected to be.

However, Taeyeon is still a fantastic singer and I'm sure there's a story behind the performance that we are unaware of.

Perhaps the pair did not have enough time to rehearse together which caused such a shaky performance.

Taeyeon sounded perfectly fine during her solo song which definitely shows that she can sing.

I bet if they were given a second chance at practicing together and performing again, a lot of you people who think she "failed" would eat up your own words.

Archived