Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

Guest wonderbang

finally got tickets for USO...and oh boy, we're gonna need some binoculars :sweatingbullets: . damn ticketmasters charging all sorts of fees too. now gotta figure how to stay in NY without breaking the bank.

anyone can offer advice on how to best stalk the practice courts? how do you know whose practice session is when and where?

awww...well at least you'll get to be there! I'm not quite sure if the public can find out who practices when but I would just browse to see. I'm sure you're bound to bump into some player you like :)

I know you didn't ask but two quick tips if you don't already know them. Try to get in line in the South Gate where the Unisphere is because the lines are shorter most of the time compared to the East Gate nearer to the train station. And speaking of trains, definitely use public transport if you can. Parking is expensive and a huge hassle. Take the subway like #7 to Shea Stadium for a few bucks. It's only a couple of minutes walk away from the tennis center. Or even better you can take the LIRR (Long Island Railroad) near Penn Station...it's more expensive but the experience is more pleasant :)

Anyways have lots of fun and remember how hot it is during that time. Load up on sunblock and leave the bags at home if possible....the security is an absolute nightmare and you can get in faster through a separate line if you don't bring anything.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sukhwa

I personally was a fairly good tennis player. I was number 1 in the USA in the 14's 16's and at one point the 18's. I beat Nadal before, played against Tsonga, Monfils, Baghdatis, Monaco, Isner (he was my doubles partner) etc. I'm pretty good friends with James Blake, John Isner and pretty much the whole American Squad.

I live in Tampa and I don't mind playing with anyone. So if there are any tennis players that want to hit in Tampa hit me up. I need to get back into shape haha

@ wonderbang: aww, i did not know all of that. thanks for the info! have you been there before? we're only going to the first round matches. i like the idea of strolling around different courts at our leisure. and who knows, maybe they'll have the same 1st-round drama that wimbledon did :D

Guest wonderbang

@ wonderbang: aww, i did not know all of that. thanks for the info! have you been there before? we're only going to the first round matches. i like the idea of strolling around different courts at our leisure. and who knows, maybe they'll have the same 1st-round drama that wimbledon did :D

you're welcome! i'm glad you found it useful because i thought i talked way too much haha. the funny thing is i haven't actually been to the us open (i've been so so so so so close though!) basically my plans always fell through at the last minute. most of the tips i know are from all the people i know who have gone to flushing meadows. i've been writing them all down for the future when i finally set foot in the BJKNTC. :D

i'm not sure what tickets you ended up buying, but since you're going for the early rounds i hope you scored some ground passes! those are the best early in the tourney since you get access to a ton of outer courts and matches compared to the stadium seats. but the stadiums are cool too from what i hear. a lot of my friends enjoyed the grandstand stadium court because you are closer to the players.

Guest wonderbang

I personally was a fairly good tennis player. I was number 1 in the USA in the 14's 16's and at one point the 18's. I beat Nadal before, played against Tsonga, Monfils, Baghdatis, Monaco, Isner (he was my doubles partner) etc. I'm pretty good friends with James Blake, John Isner and pretty much the whole American Squad.

I live in Tampa and I don't mind playing with anyone. So if there are any tennis players that want to hit in Tampa hit me up. I need to get back into shape haha

You must have attended Georgia Tech with Isner then :)

Nice to talk to a former pro on here. Did you ever think Nadal was gonna be the best player in the world? :P

^ isner attends UGA (Uni of GA), which is GA Tech's rival (i'm a yellow jacket lolz).

we got two day sessions for the Arthur Ashe stadium, which is supposed to give access to all the other courts too. The top five male players are supposed to play in Arthur Ashe for the 1st round. So we're gonna see at least 2 out of the top 5 (let's hope soderling, murray, or djokovic play night sessions kakaka). and hopefully i'll spot cilic, berdych, etc. elsewhere. it'll still be cool if we don't get to see feddy and nadal, but they're really the biggest motivation behind this trip.

Guest wonderbang

Hmm well usually the defending champions open up the day session on the first day. That would mean del Potro and Clijsters....barring any injury pull outs of course. I think you should have a good chance of seeing either Fed or Rafa on one of the day sessions.

Plus, it's awesome to be able to roam the other courts too. You'll have a ton of matches to watch. :)

P.S. Sorry about the college mix up! I knew it was Georgia something and I had to pick the wrong one hehe. I need to get out of the west coast more often.....

i heard that Del-p isn't gonna play this year because of his wrist surgery... or is he? i really would love to see him too, but hmm... i dunno. we're going to the first and third day. so if del-p isn't opening, then who will? fed for being the finalist, or nadal for being #1?

Guest wonderbang

Yeah you're right. I completely forgot that del Potro is not defending his title this year. I guess tradition would dictate that last year's finalist should get the honors. Maybe you will get to see Feddy on opening day then :)

Guest SolariaSky

Love playing and watching tennis! ^^ Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova ♥ My two favourite players on both sides. Generally like watching the Men's singles more though.

went to the Atl Championship today. omg, the sun was brutal >_< i think we followed the direction of the clouds more than the match itself. it was pure labor just sitting there. i wonder how these guys can run around chasing after the ball. here's john isner and mardy fish at the coin toss.

atl2010.jpg

i was rooting for fish (eventual winner 6-4, 4-6, 6-7), cuz honestly, i'm just not obligated to root for a bulldog -_- hehe, i loved it when someone in the crowd was like, "c'mon, mardy. who beat andy roddick?!"

and believe it or not, here's the line judge that called serena's footfault at last year's USO :D

linejudge.jpg

Guest wonderbang

OMG Shino Tsurubuchi was a line judge there? lol how interesting. I'm guessing there were both bulldog and anti-bulldog fans in the audience hehe....Isner doesn't know how to play a quick match does he?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest souslesun

^ I've definitely seen the "foot-fault" line judge in other tournaments after the Serena incident last year =X

Has anyone heard about the Nadal-Djokovic doubles team for Toronto??!! What are your thoughts?? HOW THE HECK RANDOM IS THAT??!! (I was reading in rf.com that they have the same agent... Not 100% sure about this...)

Guest wonderbang

^ I've definitely seen the "foot-fault" line judge in other tournaments after the Serena incident last year =X

Has anyone heard about the Nadal-Djokovic doubles team for Toronto??!! What are your thoughts?? HOW THE HECK RANDOM IS THAT??!! (I was reading in rf.com that they have the same agent... Not 100% sure about this...)

Maybe I'm just growing old and my memory is shot, but I feel like they've played doubles together before....anyhow, either way it sounds like a fun partnership to watch :D

Guest PrinceOfTennis559

I'll just stick with playing tennis with my friends... XD

Pros over there. Me over here! Teehee!

My most memorable tennis moment is winning 1st Place Doubles in my high school's league.

4 years of hard work paid off, even if I had to carry my partner all the way to the finals!

My least favorite memory is getting hit by every player on the court in a doubles game.

My partner even hit me in the head when he was serving.

Good times... Good times...

Guest wonderbang

So the new rankings are released and I knew Rafa was staying at number 1, but I had no idea he had nearly a 4,000-point lead over Novak and Roger! O_O

Archived