Hana Yori Dango 2 - 花より男子2

Guest 4tang

oMG.. just finished the last episode.. I loved ittt!!! I mean.. compared to HYD1, I was pretty disappointed in HYD.. till the very last few episodes! They made me giggle like crazy lol. Btw.. the rumours about HYD 3.. they are false right? Because I thought the manga ended with them marrying as well?

I guess....i think peoplw were just spreading rumors about that...but who knows...a special might be possible

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sweet_treats1812

for those interested, lily just posted some behind the scenes reports over at jland.wordpress.com~ they're pretty interesting so far...too bad there are no vids though..just rely on ur imaginations :sweatingbullets:

Guest lildrummer

what's the meaning of dango?

hana yori dango means boys over flowers...

so i assume that dango means boy XD

GOOD SEASON btw. it ended well... i don't really want to have a s3, but i wouldn't mind seeing more of them <333

Guest sweet_treats1812

^another insight into the meaning of "dango" (from http://jland.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/dango/#more-639)

Rui: Want to buy some flowers for him?

Makino: I think Doumyouji would prefer… dango over flowers.

[ LOL. know that dango is sweet dumpling. ]

Rui: The only dango for Tsukasa is… Makino, you, isn’t it?

[ LOL. look at one of my Japanese is Weird for more detailed explanations on this joke, which I don’t have time nor space to explain right here right now. ]

Makino: So I’m just a dango?

Rui: He won’t even look at flowers.

Rui: Eating is the foremost nature of wild beasts, you know.

Rui: Are you going to be okay by yourself? Of course you are.

Makino: Yeah.

I think it’s one of THE most important dialogue from the literary angle.

And I tried to encompass all the meaning the word “dango” is connected to, by leaving it untranslated. I think it’s the first time I’ve done this.

First of all, dango is not dumpling.

No where close.

The only thing they have in common is the first letter D. That’s ALL.

Dumpling is Chinese. It’s salty. It has meat and vegetables wrapped inside. It’s wrapped in a skin made out of flour. It’s cooked. It’s U shaped.

Dango is Japanese. It’s sweet. Sweet as hell. It’s sticky. It’s a solid ball of rice glutton. It’s often covered in sweet soy sauce. If you’re Chinese, it’s somewhat like tongyuan that you eat on the morning of the 15th day of the new year, except there’s nothing inside, and it’s often served on sticks with three, four, or five at a time. If you’ve ever had fried sesame ball, it’s like that, without the sesame seeds and the red bean paste inside.

So why has it been translated as dumpling?

I’m guessing the Japanese proverb, “hana yori dango” has its origins in the Chinese proverb, which got translated to “dumplings over flowers”. The translation is technically correct because dumpling is the staple food of the Chinese, just as dango is for Japanese. However, that’s for the proverb “hana yori dango”.

The title of the drama “hana yori dango” is a different story.

Dango has purposely been written using kanji that usually means “boys”.

Thus, the title no longer simply means “dumpling over flowers”. It’s a pun on many levels.

(which I’ve already talked about in another post, so I’ll move on.)

In this particular scene, where Rui says Tsukushi is “dango” to Doumyouji, I personally interpreted that as “dessert”. He’s implying that Tsukushi is something delicious, irresistable (like sweets to little boys), sticky, and…. finally, a staple food to Doumyouji. Also, Tsukushi, just like dango, are white and colorless and simple, as opposed to flowers with variety of color and species. Flowers also have layers and unseen spots where bees might be hiding, just like Umi might be deceptive.

Guest cpopbaby19

^dang. that's a detailed one~ that's why lily put on her subs just 'dango' and not an english translation~ im thinking about 'boys' too when i saw the subs. LOL.

[; thanks for posting that up! ^o^;

ahhhh... i miss HYD...just finish watching it online...it is so sweet...i love the ending.....now i'm waiting for the DVD to come out.......definitely one of my big collection of japanese drama...

Guest sl33p1n6b34uty

anyone know where you can dl this on clubbox? i can't use bittorrent

i know that gknee's clubbox has not released it yet with hardsubs...any feedback or response to this?

Guest yourfinestwine

OMGOMGOMGOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

RUI IS SO HOTTTTTTTTTTTT I AM RUI'S

NUMBAH ONE FAN!!!!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAA

I was wATCHING THIS and OMGGGGG

at around 8:05 LOOK AT RUI HOW HE

TOTALLY IGNORES THE GIRL OMGGG

HE LOOKS SO HOT AT THAT POINT I AM

MELTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

edit OMGOMG

I HATE UMI!!!!!!!!!! HATEEEEEEEEEEE HER

She is such a @(*&(*$&%(*$& Omg and

my rui KNEWW he KNEW she was bad he

just KNEW it!

OMG OMG OMG HERE at 7:56

OMG RUI IS SO HOT OMGGGGGGGGGG

Im sorry for spazzing out I just finished

episode 10. Oh my god there are no words

to describe my anger towards umi. like...

wow. I hope it all comes together in ep 11.

Guest Sky's Crying

ahhhh... i miss HYD...just finish watching it online...it is so sweet...i love the ending.....now i'm waiting for the DVD to come out.......definitely one of my big collection of japanese drama...

thank goodness, i take it that that means there's no season 3??? hallelujah! i want a tidy ending now! lol.

Guest illumine*

i can't believe i've been watching nothing but hana yori dango (1 [rewatching] & 2 [finishing watching]) from friday to today (finished just now).

yup, i have NO life... =_=

but dannggg. i love the ending.

i wish my future fiancee would do what tsukasa did to makino. that was too SWEET.

i was all giddy. *dreamy*

i'm a bit sad that it's all over now... *sighs*

this is gonna be depressing me for awhile because now i don't think there's going to be a continuation. ><"

this just skyrocketed its rating to my personal drama list.

i guess i should rewatch it since i have NOTHING to do~ XD

i knew i should've taken it easy and saved it one episode per day but no..

it's worth it though. ^_____^

i'm DEFINITELY getting the DVD for this. <333

that last episode. haha. tsukasa's just too funny.

"sweat honey" ---> "sweet honey"

LMAO. :lol:

I've seen the whole thing up to Episode 10...

Desperately wanting to watch the last one! T^T

EPISODE 11:

http://www.dailymotion.com/discussed-week/...rns-ep111-eng-s

http://www.dailymotion.com/discussed-week/...rns-ep112-eng-s

http://www.dailymotion.com/discussed-week/...rns-ep113-eng-s

yayyy enjoy. i was looking for ep11 too so when i found it (finally), thought i'd share. ^^

Guest yourfinestwine

Oh my god I just finished the last episode. Let me just say this episode ALONE has made shot HYD2 to my top favorite dramas. No joke, episode 10 and 11 were like........ holy oh my gosh IT WAS SOOOOOOOOOO CUTE. I am a sucker for happy endings and this ending... it made me so incredibly happy, I just couldn't stop smiling. It was just one happy thing after another, everyone loving each other, everyone happy, everyone smiling, everyone getting together. It was just the ultimate ending I loved it so much and the kiss... the kiss and the dancing and omg I know I can't stop talking about him but......... RUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY SHUN IN THE LAST TWO EPISODES WAS LIKE

SOOOOOOO HAWT!!!!!!!!!! I loved him so much

when he got all mad and then when he smiled and

when he EVERYTHING omg when he danceds with

Makino in that white suit and picked her up... OMG

IT WAS ALL SO WONDERFUL! *bursts into tears*

I loved it so much, I wish there was a season three

or something I'm going to miss it so much it was

SO PERFECT! THE PROPOSAL, THE KISS AND JUST

EVERYTHING!!! *waves banner* I LOVE HYD2!!!!!!

Lili

Guest chubbyone

I will definitely be missing Makino and the boys.

Nevertheless. one of the best endings in a drama

for a while. Well done and Sayonara.

Guest JJiMBBANG_x3

ah.

i'd just like to say that ive enjoyed hana yori dango both seasons 1 and 2 a lot a lot.

though returns was a bit lagging and annoying and frustrating i love the outcome over all.

inoue mao power!

matsu jun power!

oguri shun power!

everyone power!

:lol:

well done well done!

im really sad that there'll be no more hana yori dango to be obsessed with anymore..

but im happy that it ended up this way!

Guest dumpyfledgling

So I finished the last episode last night and I must say I'm glad I have my life back now. hahahaha

Anyways I really liked the ending where she's dancing with all the guys. I think it fit really well because it shows that she wasn't just Domyouji's girlfriend but she also came to be one of their friends.

SHOTA is so friggin' hot in his pinstripe suit....I wish they would have developed his and Yuuki's relationship though. It just shows him being nice and teasing her but I wanted more.

Archived