Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Hi Rubie,

Sorry I have not been around for so long but I am glad to see all the news. By the way Rubie - I thought of something and wanted to run it by you - something I think you will like also....- I promise.

A long time back I had seen an old drama with LBH and Choi Jin Shil - called "The Fragrance (or perhaps the scent) of Love". but unfortunately without sub-titles. Have you seen it. He was a "window cleaner " in it and cleaned windows in the building where CJS's office was.

Since there are so few dramas of his left and this was such a good family drama and he looked gorgeous in it :blush: - I thought I would bring it to your attention. Would there be any sub-titled version? Do you know any Fan subs who might take up this LBH cause? :rolleyes:

Cheers

A long time back I had seen an old drama with LBH and Choi Jin Shil - called "The Fragrance (or perhaps the scent) of Love". but unfortunately without sub-titles. Have you seen it. He was a "window cleaner " in it and cleaned windows in the building where CJS's office was.

Since there are so few dramas of his left and this was such a good family drama and he looked gorgeous in it :blush: - I thought I would bring it to your attention. Would there be any sub-titled version? Do you know any Fan subs who might take up this LBH cause? :rolleyes:

Hi silvermine, so good to see you again.. it's been awhile, huh. :D

I've heard of Fragrance of Love, seen some caps from the series but I've never actually watched it (didn't realized that the leading lady was Choi Jin Shil :blush: ).. in fact, anything that's older than Beautiful My Lady, I have yet to watch BH's previous dramas. So, that's the series that BH acted as a window-cleaner.. we had some pics of him cleaning windows (even an MV, too.. I think) but no one knew from which show it was, etc. :blush:

I wished we had better luck with BH's older series. It's already hard to find any version of it (except in Japan) anywhere.. what more could we hope for a subbed one. :sweatingbullets: I wished we had some BH subtitling projects by various fan clubs (that can be joined by everyone) for his older series, movies, shows, interviews, etc like other fans are doing.. but I guess.. probably.. BH fans are not quite up to it yet.

I would love to help, in any way possible but I just have no idea on how to do it. :mellow: If anyone has any ideas, please don't hesitate to share it with us. Like silvermine mentioned.. it's all for a LBH cause. Please.

While Hunnie-browsing :blush: .. I found this 2005 article. Did we have any gist on this before? :unsure: Except for the Hankook calendar ceramic sets, I'm not sure if the dolls were original items & exclusive LBH goodies as well. In the image, next to BH.. is SSH, of course.

Doesn't look like his All In/Bittersweet Life action dolls.. oh.. wait.. maybe these are FAN-MADE dolls instead? :huh:

CNN-pandas.. Ching, ylin.. any idea? :blush:

---

[MD포토] 주목 끈 송승헌 이병헌의 미니어처

[마이데일리 2005-11-21 08:07:37]

http://onimg.empas.com/orgImg/my/2005/11/2...427081110_1.jpg

[마이데일리 = 도쿄 이태문 특파원] 지난 3월의 '제1회 한류축제'의 성공적인 개최에 이어 지난 11월 18일부터 20일까지 3일간 일본 도쿄돔시티 프리즘홀에서 열린 '제2회 한류축제'에 6만여명의 관람객이 몰려 대성황을 이뤘다.

이번 한류축제는 '한국의 전통문화에서부터 최첨단 트렌드까지, 한류의 본질을 맛보자!'라는 주제 아래 한국의 연예, 문화, 음식, 물산, 관광 등 한국의 모든 것을 한 자리에서 볼 수 있다는 점에서 한류팬들은 물론이고 가족단위의 일반 관람객들도 대거 몰려들었다.

특히, 한류스타들의 기념품을 파는 코너에는 연일 장사진을 쳐 여전히 인기가 건재함을 다시 한번 입증했다. 그 가운데에는 한류 4대천왕인 이병헌과 군복무중인 송승헌을 빼닮은 미니어처도 판매되어 주목을 끌었다.

(도쿄 = 이태문 특파원 gounworld@mydaily.co.kr)

Source: http://search.empas.com/search/img.html?q=...p;n=7&cw=13

sorry, CNN panda just came home after a long day work.... sigh....

If the online translator did not fail me :D (this is my usual opening sentence ..... :blush: )

These were souvenirs sold during the "2nd Hanllyu Festival" from 18-20 Nov 2005 at Tokyo Dome. According to the article, there were about 60,000 people who when to that festival which has display of the Korean culture, food, travel etc. It was mentioned that the miniatures of the "4 Hanllyu Heavenly Kings", Lee Byung Hun, Song Seung Hun were selling like hot cakes.

sorry, CNN panda just came home after a long day work.... sigh....

If the online translator did not fail me :D (this is my usual opening sentence ..... :blush: )

Eh.. the CNN panda working full day (+ extra hours) on a Saturday? :o Aigoo..

Thanks ylin-hunnie for the wonderful gist. :wub: The 2nd Hallyu Festival at Tokyo Dome.. hmm, I think this is the one with the Dae Jang Geum festival celebration.. maybe? :unsure:

Anyway.. the miniature of the 4 Heavenly Kings.. uhh.. are not official items, right? ^^

ps: I love the CNN-panda's new tagline.. cute! :P

The article did not mention whether is was official or not, but i suppose not ???

I did not change my tag line .... which one are u referring to? :D

Seeing background.. looks like Red Square.. but seeing people around.. guess it was in China! :lol:

Not quite, TY.. but I think you'd have an idea. It's a protest .. that Hunnie and your birthday hubby has something in common.. 2 years ago. :rolleyes:

I did not change my tag line .... which one are u referring to? :D

This one.. :lol: .. very appropriate for the panda-translators. :P

previous BH pics, new sharing

More related updates and a lot of LBH, BH-SSH captures will be posted at the LBH fanclub very soon. :w00t: I've just found my "hidden" treasure chest. :blush: *blurr blurr*

February 7, 2004 - Lee Byung Hun gave his Japanese fans a pleasant surprise with the singing of theme song from film 'JSA' during his fan-meeting on 2/7 at Seoul Grand Hilton Hotel. The event was co-sponsored by SBS and NHK tv, to support the popularity of Lee's 2001 drama 'Beautiful Days' which recently aired in Japan. Over 450 Japanese fans and executives attended the event.

LBH's close friends including Song Seung Hun, Jo Sung Mo, etc have showed up in the fan meeting. "Beautiful Days" was very popular in Japan. Subsequently, his other dramas including "All In" and "Happy Together" were aired in Japan as well as Addicted" which premiered in April the same year.

News credits to dramaok & CindyW88 at soompi.com/2004

Captures courtesy leebyunghun.com, PlanetBH0712, honeyhunny.com & KNTO

jp002.jpg

jp137.jpg

jp150.jpg

jp134.jpg

jp101.jpg

jp132.jpg

Translation of what SSH said about LBH in the Japanese fan-meeting

Reporter: Mr. Song Seung Heon joined on this day..

Song: I was so surprised to see many people who like LBH came here.

Then again, I feel envy.. but I'm very proud of him and also happy to have such a good sunbae like him..

There was a fighting scene in the swimming pool.. At the moment.. I was so absorbed in the role I played.. so.. I made his head down to the bottom of the pool and he got hurt.. he was bleeding and went to the hospital abruptly... (could this be the scene from Happy Together? ^_^)

Lee: I, too remember that scene..but SH didnt seem to be sorry for that.. ha ha..

Reporter: They talked about Summer Scent will be aired in Japan.

Song: When Summer Scent will be aired in Japan, many people will might come here for me like this.

I'll see you then..

Hope many good Korean dramas will be come out so that they can go to all over the world as well as Japan.. and also the cultural exchange between Japan and Korea will be made a little bit more..

Translation credits to TOPSHAPE at soompi.com/2004

jp052.jpg

^ see how BH greet & hugged his 'brother'.. the top 2 captures

jp053.jpg

jp133.jpg

Guest kdramafanusa

More related updates and a lot of LBH, BH-SSH captures will be posted at the LBH fanclub very soon. :w00t: I've just found my "hidden" treasure chest. :blush: *blurr blurr*

Rubie, thank you so much for finding/sharing these. Running to hug *Rubie*.

I need to find my "hidden" treasure chest too.

May I repost some of these at SSH thread?

February 7, 2004 - Lee Byung Hun gave his Japanese fans a pleasant surprise with the singing of theme song from film 'JSA' during his fan-meeting on 2/7 at Seoul Grand Hilton Hotel. The event was co-sponsored by SBS and NHK tv, to support the popularity of Lee's 2001 drama 'Beautiful Days' which recently aired in Japan. Over 450 Japanese fans and executives attended the event.

LBH's close friends including Song Seung Hun, Jo Sung Mo, etc have showed up in the fan meeting. "Beautiful Days" was very popular in Japan. Subsequently, his other dramas including "All In" and "Happy Together" were aired in Japan as well as Addicted" which premiered in April the same year.

News credits to dramaok & CindyW88 at soompi.com/2004

Captures courtesy leebyunghun.com, PlanetBH0712, honeyhunny.com & KNTO

Wow, so clever of rubie to find the treasure. This is the first time I read about the event. :P Gamshahamnida rubie dear. :lol:

Rubie, thank you so much for finding/sharing these. Running to hug *Rubie*.

I need to find my "hidden" treasure chest too.

May I repost some of these at SSH thread?

HUG BACK! :blush:

Sure.. no problem. Topshape is actually a SSH fan from soompi back then, not sure if she's around at soompi.. with a new ID, perhaps. She was so nice to translate and share the gist of the interview of the 2004 fanmeet.

Wow, so clever of rubie to find the treasure. This is the first time I read about the event. :P Gamshahamnida rubie dear. :lol:

Nah! Not clever but very, very blurr. :sweatingbullets:

I often forget to check other BD and LBH threads at the local forum :sweatingbullets: which is a blessing that I still have my BD thread (+ LBH news) still intact since 2003.. about the same time the first EverythingLBH (soompi.com) was started by fayenatic.

These are updates from soompi 2004 that I've posted at other LBH related threads that are still around and running. As we know, we lost much of LBH goodies in the 2005 crash.. followed by our TimelessLBH going missing in 2006/7.

Always try for LBH, even though sometimes.. we had to go against the tide. More than ever, these days.. if we want to do something.. let's just do it. :blush:

---

Interesting Article by Lee Eun Jeong from Ilgan Sports

Please check Ilgan Sports or Joins.com website

to see original Korean article if you are interested.

Thanks Lucy for showing me this Korean article!

Translation by Splash (2004 article)

================

COMING TO SEE ALL IN'S LEE BYUNG HUN

Lee Byung Hun has become the centre of attention in Japan's Korean drama entertainment in 2004.

Japan has become extremely passionate and interested about Lee Byung Hun (34) ever since 3 different Korean drama productions starring him have been broadcasted by TV stations in Japan over the same period of time. Therefore, more than 600 Japanese fans will be holding a fans' gathering at the Grand Hilton hotel in Seoul on February 7.

Although some people believe that Lee Byung Hun's popularity in Japan was unexpected, 3 dramas starring Lee Byung Hun are being screened simultaneously. SBS TV's 2001 production "Beautiful Days" is showing on NHK BS2, SBS "Happy Together" first broadcasted in 1999 is on BS Fuji, and SBS TV's 1995 production "Man on the Asphalt" (not sure of the official English title, so am doing a direct translation from the Korean title) is showing on Cable channel KNTV. I believe Man on the Asphalt is also known as Legend of Car God or Dream Racers in some versions.

The movie "Addiction" is also expected to premiere in Japan in April, followed by SBS TV's "Beautiful Lady" (1997), and SBS TV's "All In" (2003).

In particular, Lee Byung Hun's overwhelming popularity has to be attributed to his role in "Beautiful Days." Lee Byung Hun showed his charismatic side in his role as the lover of Choi Ji Woo who is enjoying great popularity in Japan.

Director Song Wan Mo, who is responsible for overseas marketing in Player Entertainment, the agency to which Lee Byung Hun belongs, announced Player's goal to employ effective marketing strategies in China, Southeast Asia, and Japan to secure LBH's place as the best actor in the Asian region. Mr. Song Wan Mo is still managing LBH, he's now the Vice President at BH Entertainment.

News credits: Lucy & Splash of LBH.SG

jp051.jpg

jp140.jpg

jp160.jpg

jp151.jpg

March 10, 2008

Source: koreanfilm.org

The year 2008 started with the industry still reeling from a very tough 2007. Nonetheless there was some good news early on, with two unexpected hits in January and February: Lim Soon-rye's handball drama Forever the Moment, which sold over 4 million tickets, and the low-profile thriller The Chaser, which thanks to strong word of mouth was well on its way to selling even more tickets. At the same time, Night and Day, the eighth film by Hong Sangsoo, was invited to screen in competition at the Berlin International Film Festival, where it was roundly praised by some critics, and criticized as being too long by others. Bad news awaited the film on its commercial release in Korea, though, with shockingly low box office returns.

Looking ahead, the year will see new films from several established names. Kim Jee-woon returns with his ambitious spaghetti Western The Good, the Bad, the Weird, scheduled for a July release, and Park Chan-wook's long-awaited vampire movie Thirst may be ready in time for December. Lee Yoon-ki of This Charming Girl fame will shoot a new film with acclaimed actress Jeon Do-yeon, and rising director Yu Ha is shooting an ambitious period film about a gay love triangle involving royalty (sound familiar?). Meanwhile Lee Joon-ik, director of King and the Clown, has a big-budget release lined up for summer in Sunny, about a woman who travels to Vietnam in the 1970s as a singer to entertain Korean troops fighting in the war. (written on Mar. 10)

April 8, 2005

Some 450 reporters flocked to a promotional press conference for Lee Byung-hun's film "Bittersweet Life" on Thursday, evidence that the Korean Wave continues unabated in the island country despite strained relations between the neighbors. There were 150 cameramen alone on the roof of the Shinjuku branch of the Isetan department store, in fierce competition to capture Lee's slightest moves for posterity.

The Japanese press including the Sankei Shimbun and Nikkan Sports ran detailed reports of the press conference in their Friday editions as curiosity about "Byonsama" reached fever pitch.

Lee, dapper in a black suit and tie, said, "'Bittersweet Life' is an important work for me as an actor. I feel very strongly about it." He charmed the Japanese press with his sense of humor as he discussed various episodes that occurred during the shooting of the film.

bsl7coffee2.jpg

Screencap by AutumnLeaves

"When we shot the scene where I put the sugar in the espresso, the first two takes didn't turn out well," Lee said to polite laughter. "So director Kim Ji-woon tried dropping the sugar in himself, but he still didn't like it, so I ended up trying it once again. In the final cut, however, it's the director's hand that you see. It seemed he really wanted to get into the film."

Lee also appeared live on TBS and will return to Korea after an interview with Fuji TV on Sunday. "Bittersweet Life" will debut in Japan at the end of the month, and Lee is well on his way to becoming a household name. About 100 bodyguards were mobilized for the actor’s arrival at Narita Airport, and tickets to the preview of his film were selling for W400,000 (US$400) on Internet auction sites -- a popularity exceeding that of even Hollywood stars.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

December 12, 2004

A Bittersweet Life gruelling filming similar to Die Hard

bittersweetxv3.jpg

A Bittersweet Life banner by Celina

LBH's role character in A Bittersweet Life, according to Director Kim Jee Woon, is the same as Die Hard movie. Each filming day is an exhausting day for LBH.

Each night, LBH is surrounded by 20 odd gangsters in the scene, his whole body practically covered with lots of mud in their fighting scene.

As each scene had to be wet, LBH had to endure 2 weeks of hardship doing repeated fighting scenes in the rain, wearing the same mud-soaked clothing.

LBH was also repeatedly splashed with cold water on his already freezing body, with many retakes, he exclaimed that he will never forget these scenes as long as he lives. Despite the cold icy water and mud splashed on him, he was surprised that he had not caught a cold at all in that 2 weeks.

On the role character he played in this movie, he finds the character meaningful as it experience both the life of heaven and hell. It is indeed an opportunity for him to play 2 diverse roles in the same movie.

Source: Yahoo.kr, thanks to Yann/BHfantasyland with English gist provided by Aldersgate-soompi.com

Guest kdramafanusa

Back to the article.. so happy to read about BH's warmth and sincere support for SSH. Not much been heard about them since Happy Together but the two guys do meet up for drinks, etc. As well as keeping in touch through various (personal) opportunities. SSH would attend BH's movie premieres and BH attended (or send messages) to the younger Hun's fanmeet. Some (non)-fans wondered/criticizes if BH actually supports SSH during his personal ordeal 2 years ago.. he certainly did but never make a big deal out of it. BH had contacted and supported SSH privately, as his manager had disclosed.

BH is really sweet in his interviews, it's amazing to read about his support for SH; they are so close. The message BH sent SH during SH's Asia Fan Meeting in November 2006 (after his military discharge) was very meaningful/thoughtful/caring too.

I really like reading older articles where we get to know more about them, I will translate some more for us here; I wish I didn't lose all of them before. That's the least I could do for our BH & this thread. =)

There's no sighting of BH lately, I wonder if BH will attend the VIP screening of SH's new movie "Fate" (opening on March 20 in Korea). Let's hope so. =)

Sure.. no problem. Topshape is actually a SSH fan from soompi back then, not sure if she's around at soompi.. with a new ID, perhaps. She was so nice to translate and share the gist of the interview of the 2004 fanmeet.

Thank you so much Rubie, I will save them to my computer first.

With all the art works & captures you & everyone shared in BH related threads, I usually just click/save. I have to eventually organize them so that I know where they are. =)

I don't remember seeing Topshape on soompi lately. How wonderful of her to share details of this event with us.

BH is really sweet in his interviews, it's amazing to read about his support for SH; they are so close. The message BH sent SH during SH's Asia Fan Meeting in November 2006 (after his military discharge) was very meaningful/thoughtful/caring too.

I really like reading older articles where we get to know more about them, I will translate some more for us here; I wish I didn't lose all of them before. That's the least I could do for our BH & this thread. =)

There's no sighting of BH lately, I wonder if BH will attend the VIP screening of SH's new movie "Fate" (opening on March 20 in Korea). Let's hope so. =)

He is just amazingly close and very supportive of SSH. Maybe because BH doesn't have a male sibling, he took care of SSH straightaway as if they're really brothers. BH is also close to his other buddies but somehow, with SSH.. it's obviously more like brothers.

I would love to read all old articles *thanks!*.. if any of them can still be found & shared, that would be awesome. Btw, do you have another version of BH's message to SSH in 2006? We had one that's translated (by Jiji) from a Japanese-subbed clip.. I wonder if it's the same? If it's not, do share with us the message too.. we would love to read that. :blush:

About 'Fate'.. my wish is as big or perhaps bigger.. to see BH again but.. chances are pretty slim as I believe BH is particularly busy with GI Joe.. especially in March. :mellow: And as far as I've remembered, I've not seen BH attended any of SSH's movie premieres although SSH did go to BH's Addiction in 2002. Maybe there's some 'hidden' caps that we have not seen. Please correct me if BH had attended SSH's movie premieres.. it's usually because he's always away (abroad) at those times.

But in interviews or articles that came out, BH would always commended SSH on his acting. Somehow he would always manage to watch the movies (possibly at home) and they've also.. always gone out for drinks whenever possible especially during each others' birthday, without the media knowing.

There was a similar clip posted before but not many had the chance to watch & comment on it. Thanks to the highlight at PlanetBH0712, here's a direct viewing on YouTube of the very funny clip of BH and Ms. Kim. I can't help smiling and wondering what were being talked by the two of them. :rolleyes: KHS could never control herself ^^ .. endlessly in stitches, LOL-ing every 5 seconds because of what BH said to her. :lol: Not sure if it's the editing but KHS was even blushing hotly.. right there on the spot. :P

From the colour of her lipstick and the style of their fashion, it was a late 90s clip of KHS' talk show. Anyone with more info on this? Would really appreciate everyone's sharing. :blush:

LBH and Kim Hye Soo clip posted by f32000 (original sharing BHfantasyland)

khsbhdi7.jpg

youtube2.jpg

Hello Buckelwal! :lol:

A surprisingly sweet review from Variety.com ^^ Harmonium in My Memory movie thread

May 31, 1999

The Harmonium in My Memory

(NAE MAEUMEUI PUNGGEUM) ((COMEDY-DRAMA -- SOUTH KOREAN))

By DEREK ELLEY

An Ilshin Investment presentation of an Art Hill production. (International sales: Golden Network, H.K.) Produced by Yu Yeong-sik. Executive producer, Kim Seong-bum. Directed, written by Lee Young-jae, based on the novel "Female Student" by Ha Keum-chan.

10.jpg

A first-love pic set in a South Korean village in 1963, "The Harmonium in My Memory" starts out looking routine but develops into a richly drawn and emotionally satisfying light drama consistently enlivened by a semi-comedic tone. Based on a semi-autobiographical novel, this first feature by former TV director Lee Young-jae is not major-fest material but well deserves a spin round the circuit, with some specialized sales to follow.

Sanri is a small backwater populated by colorful yokels and illiterate families, whither arrives 21-year-old Kang Su-ha (Lee Byung-heon), a klutzy, nervous teacher. The local elementary school has unruly classes and a staff that's as weird as they come. Also joining the teaching ranks is the demurely beautiful Yang Eun-hee (looker Lee Mi-yeon), toward whom Kang, once he's found his feet, starts making faltering advances.

This doesn't sit well with one of Kang's pupils, awkward but rebellious teenager Yun Hong-yeon (Jeon Do-yeon), who's from a poor family and is consistently bullied by her mother (Song Ok-suk). The 17-year-old Yun, through whose eyes the story is partly told, develops a major crush on Kang, which complicates his attempts to chat up Yang --- until events take an unexpected course.

After a faltering start, helmer Lee finds the right balance between comedy and light drama, with the characters slightly overdrawn but emerging as sympathetic in the long run. Pic has a nice feel for its era (just prior to South Korea's aggressive modernization) and the realities of country life, without overdoing the pastoral setting or romantic angst.

At base, it's also an ensemble movie, with the three main characters never dominating the action at the expense of the kids and everyday activities at the school. Casting of the ebullient, cheeky youngsters is excellent, and as the dowdy teenage dreamer, Jeon is almost unrecognizable from her roles in local successes "The Contact" and "The Promise."

Though it's constructed as a tapestry of small scenes, pic carries quite an emotional punch by the final reel, with a coda that's all the more powerful for its understatement. Technically, it's smooth, with Jeon Jo-myung's camerawork catching the changing seasons and rich colors with ease. Clumsy English title, however, could do with a change.

Carmen Maura, Hector CarreCamera (Agfacolor), Jeon Jo-myung; editor, Kyung Min-ho; music, Cho Dong-ik; art direction, MBC Art Centre; sound, Dolby; assistant director, Su Byung-chae. Reviewed at Cannes Film Festival (market), May 16, 1999. Running time: 112 MIN.

With: Lee Byung-heon, Jeon Do-yeon, Lee Mi-yeon, Jeon Mu-song, Choi Ju-bong, Kim Dong-su, Lee In-chul, Kim Il-wu, Shin Shin-ae, Song Ok-suk, Kwon Nam-hi, Lee Dae-yeon, Su Hae-rin.

Source: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117914234.html