Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

:w00t: IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE! :w00t: 

It's confirmed and the new drama is titled HERE (like, really.. as HERE  is the soompi thread) :P

It'll be the fourth time Byunghun acting with Han Ji Min as third time with Shin Min Ah. Ironically, both actress worked with LBH in their debut dramas. 

Han Ji Min = All In (debut, 2003), The Age of Shadows (2016), Keys to The Heart (2017)

Shin Min Ah = Beautiful Days (debut, 2001), A Bittersweet Life (2005)

October 8, 2019

Lee Byung Hun, Han Ji Min, Nam Joo Hyuk, Shin Min Ah, And More Confirmed For New Drama

Source: Soompi by M. Dang

Lee Byung Hun, Han Ji Min, Nam Joo Hyuk, Shin Min Ah, And More Confirmed For New Drama

The star-studded lineup has been confirmed for a new drama by Noh Hee Kyung!

On October 8, Lee Byung Hun, Han Ji Min, Shin Min Ah, Bae Sung Woo, and Nam Joo Hyuk were confirmed for “HERE” (working title).

It is reported to tell the story of an international NGO (non-governmental organization), but additional details have not yet been revealed publicly. However, viewers are already anticipating the collaboration of top actors and Noh Hee Kyung, who is known for hit dramas such as “Live,” “It’s Okay, That’s Love,” and “That Winter, The Wind Blows.”

“HERE” is scheduled to begin filming in 2020..

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• Like 4

@rubie, thank you for the welcome  :wub:

I have not liked a lot of writer' Noh's dramas;  But I loved the short drama (4 episodes only) "The Most Beautiful Goodbye." I cannot recommend it enough

I forgot to mention that I was able to watch "Inside Men" before it left Netflix, and it blew my mind.  What an amazing film, and incredible performance from Lee Byung Hun (well, always shines... IMO.) So worthy of all the praises and awards!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noh Hee-kyeong's "HERE" Adds Lee Byung-hun, Completes Line-Up

photo1108629.jpg

The main line-up for writer Noh Hee-kyeong's "HERE" is complete.

Nothing is known about "HERE" except for the fact that it's about NGOs, non-profit organizations. However, it's by writer Noh Hee-kyeong, one of the greatest drama writers in Korea who also has a tendency to carry out social messages in her works.

The main line-up for the drama is now complete with Lee Byung-hun, Han Ji-min, Shin Min-ah, Bae Sung-woo and Nam Joo-hyuk.

Their roles are still under wraps, but the names of the writer and the cast alone are enough to raise anticipation on the collaboration between the 5 in a work by Noh Hee-kyeong.

Meanwhile, "HERE" begins filming in 2020.

source

• Like 4

LOL @irilight, you're already part of the thread.. come visit anytime. :lol: Thank you for the recommendation of 'The Most Beautiful Goodbye'. So, it's really a short drama which I might just check out in anticipation of 'Here'. I had wanted to watch it before as it has CJW but put it off, thinking of the sad story.

Glad to hear that you've watched and liked 'Inside Men', it's a strong story with an especially impressive cast. It's indeed an unforgettable performance from BH apart from Masquerade being his first saguek and then through Inside Men, the movie won him his first Blue Dragon Best Actor & making it a Grand Slam (winning the Best Actor in Daejong, Blue Dragon & Baeksang).

Have to say, it's really a Mr.Sunshine moment all over again ^_^.. reading about this new drama from LBH. The drama wish comes so much sooner than expected that we don't have to wait another 8 years for it. :D

JM Solution Making Film with Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo, Kim Go Eun

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@rubie, Yes. I remember how blown away I was by Masquerade...
I still consider it one of the best I have seen.

~~~~~~~~~

Noh Hee-kyung’s new humanitarian drama announces stellar lineup

nhk_lbhA.jpg

According to the latest reports, Lee Byung-heon (Mr. Sunshine) and Han Ji-min (One Spring Night) have joined Noh Hee-kyung’s next drama, along with Shin Mina (Chief of Staff), Bae Sung-woo (Live), and Nam Joo-hyuk (Nurse Teacher Ahn Eun-young). Called HERE, the drama is about a humanitarian nonprofit NGO and the people that work there.

Read more on Dramabeans

• Like 4

October 10, 2019

Lee Byung-hun, Han Ji-min to Star in New TV Series About NGO Workers

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2019101000977_0.jpg

Clockwise from top left, Lee Byung-hun, Shin Min-a, Nam Joo-hyuk, Bae Sung-woo and Han Ji-min

Lee Byung-hun and Han Ji-min are among the ensemble of top Korean actors who have been cast in a new TV series penned by noted screenwriter Noh Hee-kyung.

The series -- tentatively titled "Here" -- tells the story of a group of people working at an international non-profit organization. No further details about the plot or the characters have been revealed.

Noh is known for writing stories with deep social messages that are rarely dealt with on Korean TV such as mental health issues and the lives of old people facing aging, sickness and death.

There has already been a lot of buzz about what part of society she will shed light on this time.

Other cast members include Shin Min-a, Bae Sung-woo and Nam Joo-hyuk.

Shooting will begin early next year. 

• Like 3

October 8, 2019

CGV to Screen Classic South Korean Films Through October 27th.

Source: HanCinema.net

photo1108863.jpg

In recognition of the one hundreth anniversary of South Korea's film industry, CGV will be running screenings from October 14th to October 27th of various classic South Korean films. However, the films in question will skew toward more recent releases, namely major box office performers of recent years, and some of the more well-known titles from the Hallyu Wave period of the late nineties and early two thousands.

The box office section will feature "Haeundae", "The Thieves", "Miracle in Cell No.7", "The Admiral: Roaring Currents", "Veteran", "Train to Busan", "A Taxi Driver", "Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds", and "Along With the Gods: The Last 49 Days". The melodrama section will include "The Contact", "Christmas in August", "Bungee Jumping of their Own", and "The Classic". The manly section will include "The Big Swindle", "The New World", "The Unjust", and "Inside Men".

Tickets for these movies will only cost six thousand won, half the price of a full priced ticket. Showtimes can be confirmed on CGV's homepage, and free tickets for regular movies will also be handed out to participants in the promotion.

Written by William Schwatz

• Like 3

October 13, 2019

Movies, dramas become new lucrative business for S. Korean internet companies

By Yeo Jun-suk The Korea Herald

South Korea’s leading internet firms are seeking to boost their presence in the entertainment industry by capitalizing on online content popular here and overseas.

Using their internet cartoons, K-pop streaming services and other web-based items, Naver and Kakao have been accelerating their efforts to monetize lucrative content by adapting them into movies and dramas.

In addition to establishing drama studios and streaming platforms, the internet giants have acquired stakes in local entertainment companies to enhance cooperation with top artists and social media influencers.

“Based on our business portfolio ranging from music to videos and other items, we will come up with more content that can expand the ecosystem,” said Kim Seong-soo, who leads Kakao’s entertainment unit Kakao M.

Since its establishment in 2016 with the acquisition of Loen Entertainment, Kakao M has been expanding into content production. Popular movie stars -- such as Lee Byung-hun from the megahit drama “Mr. Sunshine” -- work with the company.

Kakao M has also made a foray into the film business by acquiring Korean movie studios behind box office hits, including the studio that made “The Spy Gone North” and “Kundo: Age of the Rampant.”

Spoiler

Last month, the company announced it had attracted investments from movie stars and social media influencers. Actors Hyun Bin and Lee Min-ho, stylist Han Hye-yeon and other influencers participated in the fundraising worth 68.8 billion won ($57.5 million)

“As a member and shareholder of Kakao M, the participants would share a greater sense of responsibility for the company’s business operations,” said Kakao M. “It would help us (create) quality content across various platforms.”

Meanwhile, Naver’s content production firm Studio N has been coming up with popular TV shows. TV adaptations based on Naver’s megahit internet cartoons, like “Hell is Other People,” have gained popularity among the young generations.

In August, the company launched a live music-streaming service featuring K-pop singers such as Kang Daniel from boy band Wanna One. Users can enjoy 24-hour music shows via the Now service on Naver’s mobile app.

Given that web-based content is not restrained by the formats of traditional broadcasting and movie production systems, industry watchers said this could attract more consumers by adapting to the changing industrial landscape.

“There are no restrictions for our content format,” said a Kakao M official. “We are seeking to create original content that goes beyond traditional TV dramas aired by terrestrial broadcasters and films released at movie theaters.”

By Yeo Jun-suk (jasonyeo@heraldcorp.com)

Source: taeri_yeosin

After 1 year and ten days... Finally I see you again, Dongji 
This morning, finally I received this beautiful package. My hand was trembling so much when I opened it every disc, page of photobook, and all the goodies are so beautifully crafted....
I won't share any content from it here, because all the buyers are prohibited to post any contents, images or video. All that i could say, it's really worth for every penny and my waiting for it was not in vain....

• Like 3

October 13, 2019

Marie Claire Special Edition:   Moments that Move Me.  (A translation)  

Part 1

mc_1.jpg

mc_14.jpg

The moments that moved me.

“What defined acting is experiencing other people’s lives, experiencing the interweaving of happiness and pain.  It is the constant driving force that propelled me forward.”  The driving force behind Lee Byung Hun  acting are these moments.

After “Mr. Sunshine”  ended, you plunged into shooting “The Man Standing Next” and “Baekdusan”.   These two movies can be seen as early as this year.

It seemed  “Baekdusan” will be is released sooner than expected.  This movie used a lot of Computer Graphics (CG).  Even if the post-production work is very large, it does not affect the speed of film production. If I do not count “G.I. Joe, The Rise of Cobra” which used a lot of CG, this is the first time I participated in filming that involved so much CG.  This is also the first attempt by a Korean movie. Since I cannot see the actual scene while shooting, it is important to know clearly where I am and how it will appear in the future. More imagination is needed.  Also, as most of the shooting is done indoors without being affected by the natural enviroment, one can relax.  Unexpected NG usually comes from unexpected places,  but most of the situation is manageable;  so as long as the actors perform well, it will be OK.

As the movie is based on the theme of the volcanic eruption of
Baekdusan, will you be playing a hero?

It is not the kind of hero that we perceive.  As the heroes are looking at the catastrophe on the Korean Peninsula and taking great risks to solve the problem, they can be called heroes.  In In  “Baekdusan”,  Lee Jun 

Pyeong  is a North Korean who travels between the two countries to engage in espionage. But for the money, he also provide information to the South.  He does not act with clear ideas or beliefs, but he acts for money. A spy who always puts self-interest first. Coincidentally, after filming began, news broke out that Baekdusan was actually at risk of exploding.

On the other hand, in “The Man Standing Next”, you play a character inspired by Kim Jae Gyu who assassinated former President Park In interpreting a character that actually exists, it seems to be different from playing a fictional character.

In any case, I feel more sensitive and discreet when I play a historical
figure than a fictional character.  It is past history and it is impossible
to  fully grasp the situation.   Nonetheless, I should act as close as possible to my character.  I think that “The Man Standing Next” is a political movie.  But the director, producer and I have not focused on the political situation.  Rather, we placed more emphasis on describing human relationships.  Although we know through history what happened
In the film,  we will understand how they felt at the time?  How did their
relationship last for decades?  How did their relationship change? How was their state of mind?  It is the story to solve these questions. It is close to a film noir.

mc_8.jpg

Not long ago, a still was released showing a man wearing black sunglasses and standing stiffly.  It was impressive because it was completely different from the image of Kim Jae Gyu that we are familiar with.

The name in the movie is Kim Gyu Pyeong.  Every person in the film has a different name from the real person. There will be characters in the film who have served as intelligence ministers.  It will be a movie that shows a real human being that does not appear in the history book.

You have been asked this question before.  What kind of work do you like whenever you chose a work?

Subjectively, whether it is fun or not is the decisive key. But there are many  interesting criteria. Very commercial things can be fun, and sometimes the plot that goes deep will turn into a part of fun. Regardless of genre or material, a work that can dig deep into one’s heart is my choice of works.

Source:  Marie Claire

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

Part 2

mc_11.jpg

You have been very productive lately.   But you seem to be always like this.

When I was young, I took a two years break.  I don’t know if that was my opinion at that time.  I felt that if I didn't find a script that I liked, I wouldn't shoot it.   Now the film industry has evolved beyond levels comparable to the past with a lot of diverse and interesting scripts.  Another point is that since you want to show yourself better and to express more delicate feelings, then shoot more pictures, instead of resting and wasting time.  I want to do more if I can.  That’s why I worked more and more in recent years.

Are you okay now? (Laughter)

So I am resting a little after “Baekdusan.”

If you shoot a lot of movies, are you worried that the Actor Lee Byung Hun will overly familiar to the audience.

This is a problem that every actor faces. You show a new character everytime you appear in a movie. But it is a matter of how many minutes and seconds it takes for the audience to empathize.  The shorter the time, the happier the actor will be. If you see that person (actor) only wants to laugh, or is just scared, it is very unfavorable for the actor. Even so, when I choose a work, I am not just pursuing something new. I just found that the genre and characters have become more diverse when I follow the fun of my choice.

In terms of the recent works, “Keys to the Heart” and “A Single Rider” not only the content of the film is different, but also the appearance
is very different from the previous movies.

It is a completely different type. When I read “The Single Rider”  script, I was deeply moved by where the interest lies. It was a lot of fun. 
" Keys to the Heart “ was a bit bitter.  There was fun in the laughter and
tears.

Lee Byung Hun seems to be always acting endlessly.   Still, is there an unquenched desire?

I have a thirst for language.   I really want to be like the Amercans, with full understanding of their culture so that I can act with confidence.  In recent years, because I had a lot of filming schedules, with only a break of one to two months.  Therefore, even if there were good scripts, I could not do them. For Hollywood, it is important to go face-to-face and talk.  So I would like to have such time.

When an audience thinks of a movie, it also thinks about actors, acting or storylines. The first thing that comes to mind is what happened when watching the movie. What do you remember about your work?

There seems to be many situations. Some are impressive for the premiere of the movie. Others are remembered at the time of shooting.  They will also remember when they are hiding among the audience.  When I am in the audience watching a movie, When I am in the audience watching a movie, the audience sometimes laughs or weeps in unexpected parts. At that time, the time spent on the work 
seems to be rewarded.  It feels like a gift.  Although  the filming process is really very hard and tiring, but I am happy as an actor when the audience laughs and cries right next to me. Those people are immersed in such stories, and they have been added to the character. This kind of thinking will make me happy.

Did you suddenly remember when you first started acting?

Of course. I didn't even know what I was doing at the time. I even found the  Korean language so difficult. Too much scolding at the shooting scene caused me psychological trauma.  I have  no spare time to think how I should say the lines and what emotions I should express. I was just worried that I would get scolded after I deliver the lines. As I received so much strong chiding when I was filming my first work that I wanted to erase it from my  memory.  But I couldn’t erase
it (Laughs)

Now there will be no more on-site scolding (laughs) but sometimes one will not be satisfied with one’s performance or do not get the positive solution.

Some. It may also be a subtle part that others can't feel, only oneself can feel.  The more years you add, the more times you do not know the answer to acting. Skills can rely on practice and time accumulation. Practice can become a master. After comprehending skills, even after 10 years, the body will still have memories, but acting is not a skill. After all, acting is about living someone else’s life for a while. But if you live as someone else, sometimes the brain becomes blank without knowing it. So much so that you can't see the character itself.

mc_3.jpg

Source:  Marie Claire

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

October 13 2019

Part 3

mc_13.jpg

How do you find answers when you do?

I  will make yourself objective again. The first time I read the script, even though I already knew what kind of character I was. After reading it two or three times, I would start not being objective and look at it subjectively. In this way, it is possible to lose the original intention of the author.  At such times, I try to pull away and read the script as a story book.  Only in this way can I feel the story of the character again. Ah, yes, that's what he looks like.

Not long ago, a cinema named after you opened. So far, you have won many awards as an actor, had many box office hits and left  a handprint in Hollywood. The realization of these things seems to bring a burden to the next step of development.

I don't know if this expression is correct, I feel that I have been put on a heavy aura. But the actor's career should not feel burdened and 

limited. Assuming that my work will always have good results, then the next work I choose should also bring good results and must be more popular than the previous one.  This idea is not free.  Setting up a cinema named after me or winning a prize should be completely shaken off at the end of the day. If you stay stuck in those moments,  you become very restrained.  So I will continue to work for freedom without restrictions. 

In this sense, it seems that you can choose to gain energy from the free and unconstrained new actors.  An lively independent film can give you that power. 

I have always liked to watch all kinds of movies. Even if it is a low-budget movie, as long as the work is good, I will look for it. In this way, I also often watch independent movies which are really very refreshing. Expressing something in a direction I did not think of is just
exciting, even though it is someone else’s performance.   Ah, happiness and sadness can also be expressed like this!  I feel very fresh. Very novel.  Sometimes, I wonder if I am too hardened by the thoughts of the old generation.  The performance and works of these new faces enrich me.

Is acting a lot of moments of joy, or many moments of pain?

Moments of joy.   That is why I will continue to act. It’s not so much that I’m acting so well, it is because those very subtle moments make me feel happy.  During the filming, if I am satisfied with the emotions expressed in my own shooting, I will feel good that day. It is like wanting to go home for a drink.  Months of hard work seem to disappear all at once.  On the contrary, if I am dissatisfied with my performance, I will continue to shoot and compromise with myself.  After returning home, I will  be really tortured.  So it is the moment when happiness and pain are intertwined, propelling me.  Just like this, when these productions amalgamated, it is like as if I experienced the character and the life of the character.  You can do it, you can learn it.

mc_12.jpg

Source:   Marie Claire  

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

@peonie, thank you so much for the awesome translation.. it's just so perfect in understanding Lee Byung Hun as he reaches his 30th anniversary in the industry. It's like a prelude to the big year 2020 with 3 new movies and a drama series. Even though we've read a lot of BH interviews in the past, this latest Marie Claire interview is especially enlightening in revealing his views of making movies these days compared to his earlier days. It's good to know that these days he doesn't rest so much between work thus wasting precious movie offers. Also his view about treating the script as a story book as he try to understand the character plus his unforgettable experience being scolded endlessly as a rookie actor. :lol:

We know that BH would love to experience acting with ease in a Hollywood but no matter how good he really is, the language is still an invisible barrier for him. It's not as fluid as acting in a Korean movie. Read some comments by non-fans who only saw him in GI Joe or Terminator and questioning why his acting is always highly-praised and getting numerous Best Actor awards. They definitely missed out on the best of his performances in Korean movies. 

Anyway, thank you again for the fantastic sharing and the fabulous translation. So many good & interesting points to read about BH that we can now read without any problems having to guess. We can never thank you enough! :wub:

mrs.jpg mention at our twitter account ~

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

On 10/13/2019 at 11:06 PM, peonie said:

October 13 2019

Part 3

mc_13.jpg

How do you find answers when you do?

I  will make yourself objective again. The first time I read the script, even though I already knew what kind of character I was. After reading it two or three times, I would start not being objective and look at it subjectively. In this way, it is possible to lose the original intention of the author.  At such times, I try to pull away and read the script as a story book.  Only in this way can I feel the story of the character again. Ah, yes, that's what he looks like.

Not long ago, a cinema named after you opened. So far, you have won many awards as an actor, had many box office hits and left  a handprint in Hollywood. The realization of these things seems to bring a burden to the next step of development.

I don't know if this expression is correct, I feel that I have been put on a heavy aura. But the actor's career should not feel burdened and 

limited. Assuming that my work will always have good results, then the next work I choose should also bring good results and must be more popular than the previous one.  This idea is not free.  Setting up a cinema named after me or winning a prize should be completely shaken off at the end of the day. If you stay stuck in those moments,  you become very restrained.  So I will continue to work for freedom without restrictions. 

In this sense, it seems that you can choose to gain energy from the free and unconstrained new actors.  An lively independent film can give you that power. 

I have always liked to watch all kinds of movies. Even if it is a low-budget movie, as long as the work is good, I will look for it. In this way, I also often watch independent movies which are really very refreshing. Expressing something in a direction I did not think of is just
exciting, even though it is someone else’s performance.   Ah, happiness and sadness can also be expressed like this!  I feel very fresh. Very novel.  Sometimes, I wonder if I am too hardened by the thoughts of the old generation.  The performance and works of these new faces enrich me.

Is acting a lot of moments of joy, or many moments of pain?

Moments of joy.   That is why I will continue to act. It’s not so much that I’m acting so well, it is because those very subtle moments make me feel happy.  During the filming, if I am satisfied with the emotions expressed in my own shooting, I will feel good that day. It is like wanting to go home for a drink.  Months of hard work seem to disappear all at once.  On the contrary, if I am dissatisfied with my performance, I will continue to shoot and compromise with myself.  After returning home, I will  be really tortured.  So it is the moment when happiness and pain are intertwined, propelling me.  Just like this, when these productions amalgamated, it is like as if I experienced the character and the life of the character.  You can do it, you can learn it.

mc_12.jpg

Source:   Marie Claire  

@peonie  Thanks for your translation sharing! :thumbsup::wub:

• Like 4

#Throwback

October 19, 2019

October Horror Movie Recommendation: I Saw the Devil

BY SPENCER PERRY ComingSoon.net

October Horror Movie Recommendation: I Saw the Devil

Every day for the month of October, Coming Soon is making a new horror movie recommendation for those eager to find a new frightening flick for Halloween. From the creepy goodness of a classy ghost story to a blood-spattered gorefest and everything in between, we’ll have something for every taste of horror. And today’s pick is…..

I SAW THE DEVIL

What’s I Saw the Devil about: A deadly game of cat and mouse erupts across the city streets of Seoul and countryside of South Korea after a serial killer targets the wife of a well trained government spy. Kim Soo-hyun uses his training and knowledge to find the killer and torture him across a series of escalating catch-and-kill scenarios, pitting the two experienced killers against each other using the most brutal tools at their disposal.

Why I Saw the Devil rules: This movie is hardcore. It’s high concept plot is easy to follow but the way that it continues to build on its own devious scenarios with more

How scary is I Saw the Devil: Not an outright frightening movie, but I Saw the Devil features an INTENSE amounts of blood and gore as body parts fly and knives slice.

Be on the lookout for: You’ve definitely seen stars Byung-Hun Lee and Min-sik Choi, with Lee appearing as Storm Shadow in the G.I. Joe films and the T-1000 in Terminator: Genisys, and Choi starring in Lady Vengeance and (most notably) Oldboy.

Where to watch I Saw the Devil: You can rent I Saw the Devil digitally on Amazon Prime Video by clicking here or purchase your own copy on DVD and Blu-ray by clicking here.

Photos: watched_movie

• Like 3

21/10 Byunghun posted these photos on his IG. Not sure what, why or where as there's no caption at all. Is it in Hawaii as someone asked? No idea if it's a filming site or a new hobby or vacation. dontknow.gif Could be another family break before the year ends. BH and MJ are pretty quiet lately but they'll both be busy with new dramas and movie next year,

• Like 3

Thanks to the fans' highlight on twitter, BHMJ is now in LA for Halloween? BH really keeps in contact with his Mag7 co-star.

Photo: Meg Davis

Epic #halloweencrew  A Great night with beautiful people both inside and out #DC costume for the win! 

• Like 3