Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

i dont recall seeing him in this costume

Which one.. the white suit, next to Sienna Miller?

That's his supposedly Storm Shadow character costume in GI Joe, the very first image released of BH/Storm Shadow from the movie last year.

He's also wearing a mask in some of the stills/scenes. The rest of the captures are (unrelated to BH) -- Laundry Warrior/Blood/Ninja Assassin images.

Now that we're finally in 2009, the anticipation are certainly rising to see how these Korean actors would actually fare in their international collaboration.

Moment of truth. Who will see it through?

sstorm8.jpg

th_1stormshadow.jpg GI Joe: Rise of Cobra at EverythingLBH

December 29, 2008

15 movies for geeks in 2009

Story Highlights

2009 will be a bumper year for movie geeks and fanboys

There will be something for everyone from the 80s generation to Harry Potter fans

By Fei Phoon

For CNN

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The geek crowd is in for another bumper year at the movies as filmmakers continue to make a beeline for the bits of pop culture that make fanboys high five.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" -- based on the 6th book of author JK Rowling's bestselling series -- is one of 2009's most anticipated films.

Whether you are part of the 80s generation or just old enough to watch TV, it is likely that movie offerings in 2009 will bring out the diehard fan in you. Expect confident tributes to your favorite comics, Japanese animations, cult movies and books.

What movies are you looking forward to in 2009? .

1. 'Fanboys'

(Kyle Newman, 2008)

2. 'Coraline'

(Henry Selick, 2009)

3. 'Blood: The Last Vampire' (+Korean actress, Jeon Ji Hyun/Gianna Jun)

(Chris Nahon, 2009)

4. 'Watchmen'

(Zack Snyder, 2009)

5. 'Dragonball Evolution' (+Korean actor/singer: Park Joong Hyung)

(James Wong, 2009)

6. 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' (+Korean actor: Daniel Henney)

(Gavin Hood, 2009)

7. 'Star Trek XI'

(JJ Abrams, 2009)

8. 'Terminator: Salvation'

(Joseph "McG" McGinty Nichol, 2009)

9. 'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen'

(Michael Bay, 2009)

10. 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'

(David Yates, 2009)

11. 'GI Joe: Rise of Cobra' (+Korean actor: Byung Hun Lee)

(Stephen Sommers, 2009)

One of the world's favorite fictional good/evil dichotomies returns to outline the origins of the terrorist Cobra Organization, the main enemy of the American special mission team GI Joe. Plot details have been kept under wraps, but filming locations have been said to include the Arctic and the Sahara desert. A great excuse to revisit the characters to which we owe the coinage of the term "action figure."

12. 'Astro Boy'

(David Bowers, 2009)

13. 'The Witchblade'

(Michael Rymer, 2009)

14. 'Inkheart'

(Iain Softley, 2008)

15. 'Streetfighter: The Legend of Chun-Li'

(Andrzej Bartkowiak, 2009)

Source: edition1.cnn.com

Korean Media News ! News ! News ! News ! News

I'd probably won't be able to check & reply PMs as quick as I should if the slowness at soompi persists.. or maybe it's just my pc. I apologize for messages still unreplied.

And my thanks so much to everyone who took time to write back recently and especially to friends/fans who really dropped by at the News-blog to write messages to Byunghun-ssi. It might be a wishful thinking (to have BH read our wishes for him) but Best Hopes always.

rubiewish1.jpg

Previously posted update HERE (re: page 295, News thread)

December 31, 2008

Korean Hits on U.S. International Watch List

Two of South Korea’s top box office winners for 2008 have made it into the International Watch List, a survey of the American film industry's favorite foreign films from the past year. The list is put together based on votes from over 50 US film executives. Director NA Hong-jin’s debut thriller, The Chaser, placed third in number of votes received while KIM Ji-woon’s kimchi-western The Good, The Bad, The Weird was seventh.

The stated aim of The International Watch List is “to highlight new filmmaking talent from abroad, to inspire creativity and spread the word about the international favorites of the year.” Number one on the list was Swedish horror, Let the Right One In, which had its Korean release last month.

rubiewish2.jpg

KIM’s The Good, The Bad, The Weird was the top-grossing film of 2008, selling 6.68 million tickets. It revolves around a treasure map, and stars Korea’s top male leads, SONG Kang-ho, LEE Byung-hun, and JUNG Woo-sung. NA’s The Chaser was the second highest grossing film at 5.1 million tickets sold. It follows an ex-cop-turned pimp chasing down an elusive prostitute killer.

Both films have won a slew of awards at home and abroad. The International Watch List is an unofficial U.S. industry survey. It considers foreign features and foreign shorts released in theaters internationally or shown at an international film festival in 2008, and directed by a foreign filmmaker.

Credits: Nigel D'Sa (KOFIC)

Please don't let the love to write and passion to share EverythingLBH slip away..

rubiewish4.jpg

It's 2009 but BH Entertainment website is still not there yet.. but.. on the other hand, Mr. Song's ArtistView has been pretty consistent as the English version of its website is now up and running. Again, thanks to the ever-efficient cacao's sharing at lovelbh.com

Still hoping.. for BH Entertainment website's revival.. or something.. :huh:

Clients - Artist KOREA

clients2009.jpg

Overview

overview1a.jpg

Major Project - IRIS

iris1a.jpg

Source: artistview.co.kr

This is not quite BH related but found the link while indexing the GBW thread.. unless I'm mistakenly blurr :sweatingbullets: .. was that Mr.SongWM in the clip (at the 0:41 mark)? Merci.

Just the blurpanda wondering.. as always..

[CLIP] JWS & Dir. Kim arriving for HIFF (Oct 2008)

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=mSbPHmKye_M

Guest kimchibabe

FINALLY!!!!

News came out in our local paper that ICWTR will finally be coming out this year in the States. When it gets shown there it will only take a week probably till it debuts here!!!!! No final date stated but at least...

I intend to watch it over and over. :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: This is going to be my second BH film to view on the big screen. Gosh, I feel like doing a triple sommersault....yahooooo!!!!

^ That is awesome news, SweetSis! It's no wonder.. :blush: .. I guess that we didn't hear anything about ICWTR in 2008.. the big surprise kept underwraps for a big 2009 outing instead.

So glad to hear that the movie's going to be screened in the Philippines.. as it was filmed in the country. I know that you'll see BH over and over again.. so happy for you, best news indeed. Gotta share everything about it with us later. rbhcool.gif

---

Can anyone provide any gist on this.. anything. Please. Could be mentioning something about BH recently and his 2009 plans.. of course with GI Joe and IRIS being major treat on the plate.

새해 벽두부터 이병헌 전투중… 할리우드서 ‘G.I. 조’ 후반기 작업 한창

동아일보 기사전송 2009-01-02 07:50

200901020150.jpg

[스포츠동아]

이병헌이 2009년 기축년 새해를 할리우드에서 맞았다. 이병헌은 크리스마스 이브였던 24일 미국 LA로 건너가 연말을 현지에서 보냈다.

크리스마스와 연말 휴가를 반납하고 미국으로 건너가 새해를 맞은 이유는 8월7일 미국 전역에서 개봉하는 할리우드 진출작 ‘G.I. 조’(G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra)의 후반기 작업과 프로모션 스케줄 및 올해 또 다른 해외 활동에 대한 논의 때문이다.

이병헌은 “올해는 자주 인사드릴 수 있을 것 같다. 할리우드 데뷔작 ‘G.I. 조’와 합작영화 ‘나는 비와 함께 간다’가 개봉될 예정이다. 또한 국내에서 드라마 ‘아이리스’로 찾아뵐 계획이다. 한 해 동안 열심히 노력하는 모습 선보이겠다”고 밝혔다.

그는 또한 “국내외에서 열심히 해서 어려운 경제가 활력을 되찾는데 조금이라도 일조하고 싶다. 많은 분들이 어느 때보다 건강한 한 해를 보내셨으면 좋겠다는 마음이 간절하다”고 새해 인사를 전했다.

이병헌 개인에게 2009년은 의미가 남다른 해다. 1992년 데뷔한 이후 아시아 지역에서 손꼽히는 스타가 됐지만 올해는 더 넓은 무대에 도전하는 첫 해다.

2008년 6개월 동안 해외에 머물며 ‘나는 비와 함께 간다’와 ‘G.I.조’를 촬영하며 올 한해를 알차게 준비했고 그 성과가 여름부터 드러날 예정이다.

두 영화의 성격과 색깔은 전혀 달라 이병헌이 국제무대에 서는 데 각기 다른 의미가 될 전망이다. ‘G.I.조’는 미국 메이저 배급사 중 한 곳인 파라마운트사가 올 여름을 겨냥해 공을 들이고 있는 전형적인 할리우드 블록버스터.

‘미이라’ 시리즈의 스티븐 소머즈 감독이 메가폰을 잡은 영화로 테러리스트 집단과 미국 특수부대의 대결을 담고 있다.

반면 ‘나는 비와 함께 간다’는 국제영화제에서 명성이 높은 베트남 출신 감독 트란 안 홍의 작품으로 국제영화계에서 기대를 받는 영화다.

이병헌은 또한 새해 출발과 함께 미국 대형 에이전시인 앤데버와 미팅을 갖고 또 다른 국제무대 프로젝트에 대해 논의한 후 돌아올 예정이다.

이경호 기자 rush@donga.com

http://news.empas.com/show.tsp/cp_do/20090...%A5%BB%E7%B8%B6

SIMILAR RECAP TO THE POST ABOVE RE: CNN'S 15 MOVIES FOR GEEKS IN 2009

Jeon Ji-hyun has the geeks excited

January 2nd, 2009 // by javabeans

CNN has put up its list of “15 Movies for Geeks in 2009,” and the Hallyu contingent actually has a decent showing on it.

Jeon Ji-hyun’s (aka Gianna Jun) Hollywood debut movie Blood the Last Vampire sits in the #3 slot, behind Fanboys at #1, Coraline at #2.

Meanwhile, Park Joon-hyung, former G.O.D. singer turned actor, has got the #5 spot with his role in Dragonball Evolution, while Daniel Henney’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine is at #6. Lee Byung-heon is featured as Storm Shadow in #11 flick G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra.

Of course, some of these parts are more prominent than others; Jeon has a lead role in her film, but the others are merely featured players, ranging from Requisite Asian Ninja Villain to blink-and-you-might-miss-’em appearances. But hey, even if the Hallyu stars are unable to break through as mainstream players, at least they’ve got the geek contingent all sewn up.

Via Newsen, CNN; copied from dramabeans.com

Guest riehae

I'm so happy that Korean stars are making their name in Hollywood. Before the Asians who gets to be in Hollywood movies are just Chinese (mainland, hongkong, etc).

Looking forward to a lot of BH in 2009.

I'm so happy that Korean stars are making their name in Hollywood. Before the Asians who gets to be in Hollywood movies are just Chinese (mainland, hongkong, etc).

Looking forward to a lot of BH in 2009.

So agree with you riehae.. break or make, at least these Korean actors dare to take a chance for Hollywood. It might not be the best bet or they might not able to give their best bite but as Byunghun himself said, it's an experience of a lifetime experience. And he did his best, no matter what.

2008 certainly has lots of ups and downs. A lot of great things to cherish *GBW!* and not to be outdone.. bad moments.. some regrets, too. Here and there.

Anyway.. let's keep the good times and leave the bad ones behind. 2009 is Year of the STORM! :w00t: Yupyup!

---

ps: I just realized in JWS' profile listed by Artist View.. it stated that he acted in BEAUTIFUL MY LADY. :huh: Now.. which one was him in BML? I watched the series once and cried my heart out but I don't remember JWS or maybe I just didn't recognize him. :sweatingbullets: Oopsie. All I know.. there was Song Seung Hun, one of his debut 'baddie' roles..and of course, Lee Byunghun-ssi with Shim Eun Ha in this classic tearjerker. :tears:

Can anyone enlighten the always blurr rubie.. lee.. :blush:

i only watch he's drama!

With Song Hye Kyo and i know that SHK is he's Ex!

Hello aylabyo, welcome to soompi & EverythingLBH. :D You have such a cute nickname. ^^

Glad to hear that you have watched All In, it's a great drama series and yes.. LBH & SHK are ex-lovers from the series.

Guest cynthia05

^ That is awesome news, SweetSis! It's no wonder.. :blush: .. I guess that we didn't hear anything about ICWTR in 2008.. the big surprise kept underwraps for a big 2009 outing instead.

So glad to hear that the movie's going to be screened in the Philippines.. as it was filmed in the country. I know that you'll see BH over and over again.. so happy for you, best news indeed. Gotta share everything about it with us later. rbhcool.gif

---

Can anyone provide any gist on this.. anything. Please. Could be mentioning something about BH recently and his 2009 plans.. of course with GI Joe and IRIS being major treat on the plate.

새해 벽두부터 이병헌 전투중… 할리우드서 ‘G.I. 조’ 후반기 작업 한창

동아일보 기사전송 2009-01-02 07:50

http://nimg.empas.com/orgImg/do/2009/01/02/200901020150.jpg

[스포츠동아]

이병헌이 2009년 기축년 새해를 할리우드에서 맞았다. 이병헌은 크리스마스 이브였던 24일 미국 LA로 건너가 연말을 현지에서 보냈다.

크리스마스와 연말 휴가를 반납하고 미국으로 건너가 새해를 맞은 이유는 8월7일 미국 전역에서 개봉하는 할리우드 진출작 ‘G.I. 조’(G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra)의 후반기 작업과 프로모션 스케줄 및 올해 또 다른 해외 활동에 대한 논의 때문이다.

이병헌은 “올해는 자주 인사드릴 수 있을 것 같다. 할리우드 데뷔작 ‘G.I. 조’와 합작영화 ‘나는 비와 함께 간다’가 개봉될 예정이다. 또한 국내에서 드라마 ‘아이리스’로 찾아뵐 계획이다. 한 해 동안 열심히 노력하는 모습 선보이겠다”고 밝혔다.

그는 또한 “국내외에서 열심히 해서 어려운 경제가 활력을 되찾는데 조금이라도 일조하고 싶다. 많은 분들이 어느 때보다 건강한 한 해를 보내셨으면 좋겠다는 마음이 간절하다”고 새해 인사를 전했다.

이병헌 개인에게 2009년은 의미가 남다른 해다. 1992년 데뷔한 이후 아시아 지역에서 손꼽히는 스타가 됐지만 올해는 더 넓은 무대에 도전하는 첫 해다.

2008년 6개월 동안 해외에 머물며 ‘나는 비와 함께 간다’와 ‘G.I.조’를 촬영하며 올 한해를 알차게 준비했고 그 성과가 여름부터 드러날 예정이다.

두 영화의 성격과 색깔은 전혀 달라 이병헌이 국제무대에 서는 데 각기 다른 의미가 될 전망이다. ‘G.I.조’는 미국 메이저 배급사 중 한 곳인 파라마운트사가 올 여름을 겨냥해 공을 들이고 있는 전형적인 할리우드 블록버스터.

‘미이라’ 시리즈의 스티븐 소머즈 감독이 메가폰을 잡은 영화로 테러리스트 집단과 미국 특수부대의 대결을 담고 있다.

반면 ‘나는 비와 함께 간다’는 국제영화제에서 명성이 높은 베트남 출신 감독 트란 안 홍의 작품으로 국제영화계에서 기대를 받는 영화다.

이병헌은 또한 새해 출발과 함께 미국 대형 에이전시인 앤데버와 미팅을 갖고 또 다른 국제무대 프로젝트에 대해 논의한 후 돌아올 예정이다.

이경호 기자 rush@donga.com

http://news.empas.com/show.tsp/cp_do/20090...%A5%BB%E7%B8%B6

Hi Rubie

Heard from the grapevine that ICWTR may be screened earlier than that i.e. at some prestigious upcoming European film festivals (I am sure you can guess which that is?) and IRIS will also start filming earlier than expected at an overseas location.....also be prepared for a big scale event sometime soon.

Heard from the grapevine that ICWTR may be screened earlier than that i.e. at some prestigious upcoming European film festivals (I am sure you can guess which that is?) and IRIS will also start filming earlier than expected at an overseas location.....also be prepared for a big scale event sometime soon.

That is awesome news, Cynthia.. sure looks like ICWTR is being prepped for a 2009 exposure, so to speak.. huh. Thanks for sharing this info.. grapevine or not.. there's no smoke if no fire.. right. :blush: Oh my.. we are indeed bracing for the STORM. :w00t:

Let see now.. if I'm not mistaken.. Berlinale comes before Cannes.. yupyup..

Where is BH now.. he's so quiet but .. 2009 is no ordinary year.. nonono.. no2.gif

ps: I truly appreciate this fan-info.. simply sensational..

Guest cynthia05

That is awesome news, Cynthia.. sure looks like ICWTR is being prepped for a 2009 exposure, so to speak.. huh. Thanks for sharing this info.. grapevine or not.. there's no smoke if no fire.. right. :blush: Oh my.. we are indeed bracing for the STORM. :w00t:

Let see now.. if I'm not mistaken.. Berlinale comes before Cannes.. yupyup..

Where is BH now.. he's so quiet but .. 2009 is no ordinary year.. nonono.. no2.gif

ps: I truly appreciate this fan-info.. simply sensational..

Understand he left for LA on Xmas Eve and should have spent New Year over there.......some promo events for GI Joe or ICWTR or perhaps to tie-in with a well-deserved vacation.

FINALLY!!!!

News came out in our local paper that ICWTR will finally be coming out this year in the States.

^^Wooooohoooooo!!!!!! I thought they'd completely forgotten to air that film lol Long time not post here (again) XPP

No seriously, Anh Hung Tran is an immensely respected director plus the cast is packed w/ tremendous superstar talent & power so it's not like they were ever going to just give it a half-hearted release. It needs to go kapow!! Wild guess by your comment kimchibabe, I would take Cannes, only because Director AHT is French (+ Vietnamese)... but it's not until mid-May darn it!! Berlin would be much closer *hopes* They shouldn't have released the trailer so early & leave us fans lingering for sooooo long >O<;;;

Sorry, a little bit out of the loop-- where abouts will the IRIS crew be heading overseas to film? I want to be there if I can XDD

P.S.- rubie, adore your lil GBW teddy bear banner!!

Guest sunshinepark

_50-1.jpg

kind netizen awards but i don't know

http://www.maxmovie.com/event/2009maxaward/main.asp

do you understand what kind awards is this rubie

The first one is Best Trailer, and the second one is Best Poster ;)

Anyways...

I've just watched Nomnomnom like a week ago, and I think he was the best part of it 8D even better than Jung Woo Sung.. which is surprising, because people LOVED JWS in this movie.

Although I'm kinda sad to see him in G.I Joe... I know it's too soon to speak, by the vibe the movie's giving off right now, it doesn't look very... promising :S

I really want to watch Bittersweet Life, I heard that it's a fantastic film.. but I'm not very good with gore/violence. Is it that bad?

Understand he left for LA on Xmas Eve and should have spent New Year over there.......some promo events for GI Joe or ICWTR or perhaps to tie-in with a well-deserved vacation.

Thanks Cynthia for the cool tidbit, always a treat reading about BH! ^^

I wonder if BH has a property in LA now (rather than just visiting family/friends there) especially when he might be spending more time in the US because of GI Joe, etc.

But obviously.. it's also a vacation within work.. being away from Korea. He's always planning something to surprise everyone.

Our friends in LA.. gotta to be ready for any possible Hunnie-sightings. :lol: Must spot the STORM!

No seriously, Anh Hung Tran is an immensely respected director plus the cast is packed w/ tremendous superstar talent & power so it's not like they were ever going to just give it a half-hearted release. It needs to go kapow!! Wild guess by your comment kimchibabe, I would take Cannes, only because Director AHT is French (+ Vietnamese)... but it's not until mid-May darn it!! Berlin would be much closer *hopes* They shouldn't have released the trailer so early & leave us fans lingering for sooooo long >O<;;;

Sorry, a little bit out of the loop-- where abouts will the IRIS crew be heading overseas to film? I want to be there if I can XDD

P.S.- rubie, adore your lil GBW teddy bear banner!!

I sure agree that ICWTR is going to have a really fabulous world premiere and lots-of-fireworks-release. :w00t: Yupyup!

Blurr me.. I didn't realize it at first.. that.. if they (had purposely or not) missed the Cannes/Venice screenings in 2008.. there WILL still be the movie festivals & premieres in 2009. Blurr.. blurr. :blush:

Which is more perfect.. for BH because it doesn't overlaps with GBW previously, fully focusing on one promo at a time. And even with GI Joe's highly-promoted 2009 release.. no matter what the response will be.. there's ICWTR to counter everything.. huh.. huh.. :rolleyes: :blush:

ps: jicks-hunnie.. meet my most adorable Weird.Bad.Good babies! :wub:

The first one is Best Trailer, and the second one is Best Poster ;)

Anyways...

I've just watched Nomnomnom like a week ago, and I think he was the best part of it 8D even better than Jung Woo Sung.. which is surprising, because people LOVED JWS in this movie.

Although I'm kinda sad to see him in G.I Joe... I know it's too soon to speak, by the vibe the movie's giving off right now, it doesn't look very... promising :S

I really want to watch Bittersweet Life, I heard that it's a fantastic film.. but I'm not very good with gore/violence. Is it that bad?

welcome.gif Hi sunshinepark, welcome to EverythingLBH! Love your ID and so good to see you here. That is awesome info, really appreciate it (thanks to valley girl for the maxmovie highlight). GBW's trailer is indeed the best! The pace & music were just fantastic and truly showcases the blockbuster movie. And the poster.. is really cool & eye-catching.. but Speed Scandal is just too cute as well. :blush:

So happy to hear that you've watched NomNomNom and liking BH in the movie.. he's just so intense, isn't he? I haven't seen it myself.. from reviews & movie talks, all the actors have their own attraction and role-advantages to play out but I believe BH showed MORE to his character.. bringing out a new facet to his acting performance.

You haven't seen Bittersweet Life (BSL).. ohh.. ohh.. you must, you must! :w00t: It's truly an excellent and fantastic movie, indeed. BH in his role is just superb.. ultra-cool fighting, high-kicks and all.

Word of caution.. it is quite a violent movie and rather gory in parts of it but you'll be able to watch and appreciate the movie better. Most of the female fans (but of course) are not into such violence but it's filmed in such stunning and fast-paced sequence that we don't mind it at all. There's also a really dangerous 'stunt' BH did.. which really showed the commitment he had making the movie.

You must watch BSL, sunshinepark.. it's truly the movie that made more international critics, audience and fans really appreciate what an excellent actor LBH really is. There's the BSL movie thread to check out for more details too.. but have to watch out for some major spoilers as well.

A Bittersweet Life

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=255

We too, are aware that GI Joe's current vibe isn't that good but none of us have seen much of anything so far to really say more. The movie is pretty much still keeping everything under the radar for the August release. At least it'll be a surprise to everyone (where BH is concerned).. how his character will turn out.. positively or otherwise, he's done it and given his best. But lucky for all fans, we have 'I Come With The Rain' (ICWTR) as an antidote ready should any GI Joe review be too hard to swallow.. later.. :sweatingbullets: But always.. hope both will actually turn out better than expected. Byunghun-ssi, FIGHTING!

Hope you'll join us here in sharing everything about LBH. Anything at all.. just shout it out! :D