Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Hollywood Eyes on Korean Movies

A little good news for the Korean film industry at the end of a tough year. Two Korean movies appeared on the International Watch List, an unofficial survey of 50 Hollywood film industry executives and their assistants. They were asked to vote for up to five international features and five short films released in 2008, "to highlight new filmmaking talent from abroad, to inspire creativity and spread the word about the international favorites of the year."

No surprised which two films made the list, as they were the most successful two Korean films last year -- Na Hong-jin's THE CHASER (which tied for third with eight votes) and Kim Jee-woon's THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD (four votes).

I wonder how long that International Watch List has been compiled. Would be interesting to see what films appeared on it in past years.

(Thanks to Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily).

Posted by Mark Russell at 9:12 AM via koreapopwars.com

finke1.jpg

2008 Movie International Watch List (by Nikki Finke)

intl-watch-list.jpg

So alongside The Black List is The International Watch List, which just came out with its 2008 roster. It's an unofficial list of the American film industry's favorite foreign feature and short films from the past year according to the judgment of over 50 US film executives and their assistants were asked to vote for up to five foreign feature films and five foreign short films. The International Watch List includes all the features and shorts that received two or more votes. Considered were foreign features and foreign shorts released in theaters internationally or shown at an international film festival in 2008, and directed by a foreign filmmaker. The stated aim of The International Watch List is "to highlight new filmmaking talent from abroad, to inspire creativity and spread the word about the international favorites of the year":

The International Watch List 2008

FEATURE FILMS

15 Votes

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

by Tomas Alfredson (Cinetic Media/Christina Bazdekis)

13 Votes

MARTYRS

by Pascal Laugier (ICM/Nathan Ross & Robert Lazar)

8 Votes

BEFORE THE FALL

by F. Javier Gutiérrez (Paradigm/Marc Helwig)

GOMORRAH

by Matteo Garrone (ICM/Jeff Berg & Nathan Ross)

THE CHASER

by Hong-jin

7 Votes

WALTZ WITH BASHIR

by Ari Folman (CAA/Maha Dakhil)

6 Votes

JCVD

by Mabrouk El Mechri (Endeavor/Elia Infascelli-Smith)

THE SQUARE

by Nash Edgerton (ICM/Doug MacLaren)

5 Votes

HUNGER

by Steve McQueen (CAA/Beth Swofford)

JERUSALEMA

by Ralph Ziman (ICM/Nathan Ross)

4 Votes

KISSES

by Lance Daly (AP Watt Ltd/Rob Kraitt)

CLASS

by Laurent Cantet

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE WEIRD

by Jee-Woon Kim (CAA/Spencer Baumgarten)

In a lawless Manchurian desert during the tumultuous thirties, three Korean men meet on a train. Do-won the Good, is an infamous bounty hunter with a deadly shot. Chang-yi is the Bad, a merciless gang leader with a colossal ego. Tae-goo, the Weird, is a gifted but unpredictable train robber who favors his motor scooter over horseback. Along with the Japanese army and hordes of bandits grappling for control of this desert territory, the Good, the Bad and the Weird face off in every possible combination. They seize and cede power in quick succession, all the while trying to exploit a mysterious map that promises huge riches.

2 Votes

SLEEP DEALER

by Alex Rivera (CAA/Stuart Manashil)

TERRIBLY HAPPY

by Henrik Ruben Genz (Conspiracy/Melinda Jason)

THE SONG OF SPARROWS

by Majid Majidi

ZIFT

by Javor Gardev (WMA/Carolyn Sivitz)

SHORT FILMS

10 Votes

AFTERVILLE

by Fabio Guaglione & Fabio Resinaro (The Safran Company/Peter Safran)

8 Votes

OF CATS AND WOMEN

by Jonas Govaerts (The Safran Company/Tom Drumm)

5 Votes

TREEVENGE

by Jason Eisener (UTA/Jason Burns)

3 Votes

I LOVE SARAH JANE

by Spencer Susser (Endeavor/Bryan Besser)

THE RAIN HORSE

by Sebastian Godwin (Independent Talent Group/Jessica Sykes)

Source: deadlinehollywooddaily.com

Thanks rubie for the Elle pics! I've never seen his body this ripped before :w00t:

It's my pleasure, nabi.. shh *looks left and right* :blush: .. I've never seen him like this as well.. :w00t:

Another mention by the Kpopped sisters..

27 December 2008

Lee Byung-hun shows off sculpted physique

LeeByunghun1.jpg

Buff: 'Want a piece of me?'

Lee Byung-hun (The Good, The Bad and The Weird) takes off his shirt for a photoshoot and the result is women all over the world fawning over his “chocolate abs”.

The 38-year-old, who is set to appear in Hollywood’s G.I. Joe (2009), shows off his washboard abs in a pictorial that will be available in the January issues of Korea’s Elle and Japan’s Vogue.

Ooh la la ;-).

Source: Hankooki via k-popped.com

Guest valley girl

yay,, LBH so Sexy

not being what but

why most big actor from asia debuted in Hollywood as Villain ??

hate that!!,

but Dennis quaid, Siena miller wow not bad.

Guest kimchibabe

^

Do i want a piece of him???? Gimme....gimme....gimme :blush:

but what I'd really like to do is run my fingers through each and every muscle of his body!

The ELLE pictures caps this year for me...the most sensous BH...love him....love him sooooo!

my 1st post here and sorry if this is a dumb question...

approximately when will IRIS be in production?? :blink:

komapsumnida

Hello 2uss, welcome to EverythingLBH.. very happy to see you at the thread! welcome.gif

Please don't worry.. no matter what, there's no dumb questions.. that's how we learn everyday. :blush:

However, regarding IRIS.. personally. I have no idea when the drama will start filming. The best person(s) to ask would be kdramafanusa (threadmistress of IRIS), Hyc, ylin and fans here who are able to read Korean/Chinese updates.

I'm sure and hope they can & will help enlighten us on this, whenever there's new info.

Please keep on posting at the thread ok, and don't be shy at all. :)

However, regarding IRIS.. personally. I have no idea when the drama will start its filming. Best person(s) to answer would be kdramafanusa (threadmistress of IRIS), Hyc, ylin and fans who are able to read Korean/Chinese updates.

I'm sure and hope they can help enlighten us on this, whenever there's new info.

Please keep on posting at the thread ok, don't be shy at all. :)

nan o ssop ship syo, komawohyo :blush: rubie

ohhh gue reh kunah...

well i'm still learning korean bit by bit...just not able to read characters :(

gue rom...i'll come visit when i can :)

^ No problem at all, 2uss .. see you around! :D

December 23, 2008

Lee Byeong-heon, Jung Ji-hoon (Rain) Come to U.S. TV

Two of Korean cinema's top stars are to host a Discovery Channel documentary series on the rise of Korean pop culture titled 'Hip Korea'. Lee Byeong-Heon ("The Good, the Bad, the Weird") and JUNG Ji-hoon (Rain, "I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK") will each host an episode that will be broadcast globally on the Discovery Network in 2009.

The airings should enhance the already popular leads' star-appeal and recognition, particularly in the U.S., where both actors are appearing in Hollywood blockbusters. LEE is cast as Storm Shadow in the upcoming G.I. Joe movie, while Rain has already appeared in the Wachowski brothers' Speed Racer and will make his Hollywood leading role debut in the upcoming Wachowski-produced Ninja Assassin.

'Hip Korea' will be broadcast in two episodes. The first, 'Seoul Vibes', has JUNG guiding audiences through Seoul hot spots Hongdae, Cheongdam-dong, and the Cheonggye stream. The second, 'Seoul Savvy', hosted by LEE, visits the up-market Apgujeong district, and the arts and crafts zones of Insa-dong and Samcheong-dong.

Production of these 45-minute documentary segments were supported by the Seoul Metropolitan Government. Previous segments in the Discovery series focused on Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan and director John Woo. The series is set to launch in January on Discovery Networks worldwide.

Credits: Nigel D'Sa (KOFIC)

nove2008.jpg

2008 BH News Index compilation at EverythingLBH forum

November 2008

Nov 3: Song Hye Kyo Admits She Can’t Forget Her First Love ARTICLE

» BH & ICWTR transcript PHOTOS

Nov 4: Clients of ARTISTVIEW (Official WEBSITE)

Nov 5: Year-end awards' leading performances, who will succeed? UPDATE

Nov 6: Actor Lee Byunghun has become a promoter of Korea in England » UPDATE 1 » UPDATE 2 » UPDATE 3

Nov 7: Thessaloniki fest invites three Korean films ARTICLE

Nov 10: Times Online 50 Biggest Movies of 2009 LIST

Nov 11: Lee Byung-hun on being the bad guy ARTICLE

Nov 13: Lee Byung-Hun, Jet Li to attend the Versace for One Foundation Charity Gala UPDATE

Nov 15: “To Heaven” becomes “To the Hospital” ARTICLE

Nov 19: Stars gear up to grace the red carpet at Korea’s version of the Oscars UPDATE

Nov 19: Artiste management - BH Entertainment ARTICLE

Nov 20: Kim Yoon Seok and Son Ye Jin Crowned Best Actor and Best Actress UPDATE

Nov 20: 'The Weird' tops Blue Dragon Awards ARTICLE

Nov 21: Blue Dragon Award Goes to Sports Drama UPDATE

Nov 21: Filmmakers Honored at the 29th Blue Dragon Awards ARTICLE

Nov 21: Jung WooSung - Lee ByungHun - Song KangHo, overwhelming charisma UPDATE

Nov 21: Male stars red carpet code; black suit and bow tie UPDATE

Nov 22: Liberty Times interview with Lee Byung-hun ARTICLE

Nov 24: [G.I. Joe Exclusive] IGN talks to Storm Shadow himself, Byung Hun-Lee INTERVIEW

Nov 25: [CNN Interview] Korean idol Lee Byung-hun makes waves overseas ARTICLE

Nov 25: ELLE'S SHARE HAPPINESS ARTICLE

Nov 26: CNN Interviews Actor Lee ARTICLE

Nov 27: CNN, "Lee Byeong-heon = Asian James Dean" UPDATE

Nov 28: Lee Byung-Hun, "Again 'All In'" UPDATE

ps: Ching, everyone.. if there's any update or interview/article of BH that we missed, please share.. ok.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Hun...ws/nove2008.jpg

2008 BH News Index compilation at EverythingLBH forum

November 2008

Nov 3: Song Hye Kyo Admits She Can’t Forget Her First Love ARTICLE

» BH & ICWTR transcript PHOTOS

Nov 4: Clients of ARTISTVIEW (Official WEBSITE)

Nov 5: Year-end awards' leading performances, who will succeed? UPDATE

Nov 6: Actor Lee Byunghun has become a promoter of Korea in England » UPDATE 1 » UPDATE 2 » UPDATE 3

Nov 7: Thessaloniki fest invites three Korean films ARTICLE

Nov 10: Times Online 50 Biggest Movies of 2009 LIST

Nov 11: Lee Byung-hun on being the bad guy ARTICLE

Nov 13: Lee Byung-Hun, Jet Li to attend the Versace for One Foundation Charity Gala UPDATE

Nov 15: “To Heaven” becomes “To the Hospital” ARTICLE

Nov 19: Stars gear up to grace the red carpet at Korea’s version of the Oscars UPDATE

Nov 19: Artiste management - BH Entertainment ARTICLE

Nov 20: Kim Yoon Seok and Son Ye Jin Crowned Best Actor and Best Actress UPDATE

Nov 20: 'The Weird' tops Blue Dragon Awards ARTICLE

Nov 21: Blue Dragon Award Goes to Sports Drama UPDATE

Nov 21: Filmmakers Honored at the 29th Blue Dragon Awards ARTICLE

Nov 21: Jung WooSung - Lee ByungHun - Song KangHo, overwhelming charisma UPDATE

Nov 21: Male stars red carpet code; black suit and bow tie UPDATE

Nov 22: Liberty Times interview with Lee Byung-hun ARTICLE

Nov 24: [G.I. Joe Exclusive] IGN talks to Storm Shadow himself, Byung Hun-Lee INTERVIEW

Nov 25: [CNN Interview] Korean idol Lee Byung-hun makes waves overseas ARTICLE

Nov 25: ELLE'S SHARE HAPPINESS ARTICLE

Nov 26: CNN Interviews Actor Lee ARTICLE

Nov 27: CNN, "Lee Byeong-heon = Asian James Dean" UPDATE

Nov 28: Lee Byung-Hun, "Again 'All In'" UPDATE

ps: Ching, everyone.. if there's any update or interview/article of BH that we missed, please share.. ok.

Thanks, rubie. The list is complete. I don't think we miss out on anything so far. :)

As for IRIS mentioned by someone, we still have no news of its full cast and schedule yet. Hopefully we will get some updates very soon in the new year.

As for IRIS mentioned by someone, we still have no news of its full cast and schedule yet. Hopefully we will get some updates very soon in the new year.

i hope and hope that the production team don't give up and stay patient with LBH :unsure: ...i know he's on the GI JOE project but i hope the production crew of IRIS will continue to be patient...becasue i really really want LBH to star in it B)

Thanks, rubie. The list is complete. I don't think we miss out on anything so far. :)

Please feel free to share more translated gist of BH updates and interviews especially. I personally, would not mind reading various translation for any BH news.. it's always a treat everyday to read something about BH. :blush:

And even though.. there are already specific blogs writing about BH news (in their extensive feature of blogging) .. occasionally, I would really love if Ching, ylin, Janice and everyone, every fan here to share translation of the updates, too. Because it'll be more appropriate for us to share the news at the Byunghun news-blog.. when translation are from EverythingLBH itself.. isn't it?

As Ching will be busy in the new year.. I really hope that we can all continue to share news updates of BH in 2009.. MUCH MORE THAN EVER.. especially with his 2 international movies will be screened worldwide next year.. plus.. more surprises to expect from Byunghun-ssi like the Discovery Seoul Savvy program & lots more. More than ever.. the thread needs everyone's input & sharing for EverythingLBH.

When it comes to IRIS.. I have to surrender and leave it to the 'experts' to comment and update the drama, etc..

I can only hope with the much delay regarding the production (with no idea what's keeping it down).. it will not clash with GI Joe's promo (in August thereabouts) and highly likely, ICWTR too.. which may be premiered in 2009 as well. When and where IRIS will fit in.. I have none the slightest clue. >.<

^ SS rubie: Do you think the pix of LBH's back revealing ... erm .. a little too much (for imagination) (*blush* ) .. By the way, I am loving nuna's drama (Star's Lover) and can't wait to see Iris. Hope that news will be out soon. And, if anyone knows about schedule of LBH's episode in US TV, pls share.. Thank you.

Happy New Year unnies in LBH's thread.

It's my pleasure, nabi.. shh *looks left and right* :blush: .. I've never seen him like this as well.. :w00t:

Another mention by the Kpopped sisters..

27 December 2008

Lee Byung-hun shows off sculpted physique

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vC7rHR9oCKU/SVT5...eeByunghun1.jpg

Buff: 'Want a piece of me?'

Lee Byung-hun (The Good, The Bad and The Weird) takes off his shirt for a photoshoot and the result is women all over the world fawning over his “chocolate abs”.

The 38-year-old, who is set to appear in Hollywood’s G.I. Joe (2009), shows off his washboard abs in a pictorial that will be available in the January issues of Korea’s Elle and Japan’s Vogue.

Ooh la la ;-).

Source: Hankooki via k-popped.com

Some excerpts from the Chinese news article, the rest is similar to other news

http://ent.sina.com.cn/s/j/2008-12-27/11342317072.shtml

http://www.sina.com.cn

LBH most appreciates his back :P:lol:

The photos are chosen by LBH personally to be published in《ELLE》and《VOGUE》Japan January edition.

About his physique, LBH said frankly that he liked his back the most because from young, his shoulder was well developed and broad. But the most sexy is the voice. As for the women, he thought they like best is from the waist to the pelvis. :w00t::P:lol:em45.gif