13th Pusan International Film Festival 제13회 부산국제영&#

rubie

Guest huangsy

4 Oct 2008

2008100421040085482_211403_0.jpg

4일 부산 해운대 그랜드호텔에서 열린 제13회 부산국제영화제 프리미어 라이징 스타 아시안 어워즈 2008(PREMIERE RISING STAR ASIAN AWARDS 2008)에서 정경호 하정우 수애 려원 원신연 감독이 포즈를 취하고 있다. (김명희/news@photoro.com)

Soo Ae won Premiere Rising Star Actress Award

Ha Jong Woo won Premiere Rising Star Actor Award

20081004191716732f3_192607_0.jpg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from Dramabeans

Premiere’s Rising Stars 2008

On October 4, the Premiere Magazine-sponsored “Rising Star” awards ceremony was held at the Pusan International Film Festival to name its, well, rising stars.

Ha Jung-woo and Su Ae won for their performances in their recent films (thriller The Chaser and period war piece You’re Far Away, respectively). Ha said, “I’d like to become an actor who can always give his audience an entertaining movie.”

Jung Ryeo-won and Jung Kyung-ho, on the other hand, won for best new actors (My Girlfriend Has Two Faces and You’re Far Away). Seven Days director Won Shin-yeon took the directing award.

piffrssuae2nd4.jpg

By sassygirl17, shot with NIKON D3 at 2008-10-04

piffrsryeowon1zi4.jpg

By sassygirl17 at 2008-10-04

piffrs3un1.jpg

By sassygirl17, shot with Canon EOS-1D Mark II N at 2008-10-04

Some celebs in the audience at the ceremony included JPY, Park Jun-hyung, Ahn Sung-ki, Daniel Henney (last year’s recipient, along with Kim Ah-joong), Kim Dong-ho, and others, while the Wonder Girls performed their songs “Nobody” and “Tell Me.”

Awards were presented by actors Jung Jun-ho and Eugene; winners Su Ae, Jung Ryeo-won, Jung Kyung-ho, and Ha Jung-woo wave at the cameras:

piffrs5ku9.jpg

piffrs1yf7.jpg

piffrs4px7.jpg

Ha Jung-woo, Jung Kyung-ho, and director Won Shin-yeon:

piffrsha1nx3.jpg

piffrsjungrg2.jpg

piffrswon1lz6.jpg

Jung Ryeo-won, Su Ae:

piffrsryeowon2zo4.jpg

piffrssuae1xd1.jpg

piffrssuae3hz0.jpg

Via My Daily

src:

http://www.dramabeans.com/2008/10/premiere...ing-stars-2008/

stimg13.gif

Make Yourself at Home (World Premiere)

Arno Frisch, Song Hye Kyo, Rob Yang, Clarissa Park

Theater Date/Time

Lotte Cinema 4 Oct 5 20:00

Busan Cinema 1 Oct 7 19:30

INFO

October 5, 2008

1223199533400_1.jpg

200810051842581124_1.jpg

마이데일리 = 부산 권태완 기자] 5일 오후 부산 해운대 그랜드호텔에서 열린 제13회 부산국제영화제 '시집(Make Your Self at Home)' 갈라프리젠테이션' 기자회견에서 송혜교 (Song Hye Kyo), 손수범 감독, 애쉬나 커리(Athena Currey), 아노 프리쉬(Arno Frisch)가 함께 포즈를 취했다.

Source: http://news.empas.com/show.tsp/cp_my/20081...%B5%C8%AD%C1%A6

Guest huangsy

she's wearing a wig ? didnt she cut her hair for filming World's Within drama?

sightings of Ahn Sung Ki and Kang Soo Yeon at PIFF on 5th Oct

20081005185130883b6_185409_0.jpg

2008logo-1.gifWIDE ANGLE - Documentary Competition

Who Killed Our Children

Director: Pan Jianlin (World Premiere)

Theater Date/Info

Megabox 2 Oct 5 10:00

Primus 5 Oct 9 14:00

main001(1).jpg

A tragic disaster usually reveals the soundness of the infrastructure system in the society where it happens, like the Sichuan earthquake in China in May of 2008. Hundreds of children lost their lives in the collapse of the Muyu Middle School dormitory. Who Killed Our Children visits the place where the exhumation is still going on, and meets the parents of lost children, suffering from their anger as well as sorrow. They raise questions against politicians who seem to be covering up and distorting the truth about the disaster. This courageous film urges viewers to consider the social duty and ethics of the documentarian. (NAM In-Young)

Source: www.piff.org

October 5, 2008

Deadly China earthquake in focus at S. Korea film festival

Chinese film-maker Pan Jianlin struggles to find the right words to describe what he saw at the Muyu Middle School, six days after the earthquake that devastated Sichuan province, reported AFP.

[sNAP]001(6).jpg

Nearly 300 children died in the school's dormitory, which collapsed as they were taking their afternoon naps. They were among the tens of thousands killed in the massive May 12 tremor. "The entire dormitory was still in a pile," Pan told AFP in an interview. "There was just nothing left but rubble. Nothing can prepare you for that scene."

Pan's gripping documentary about the quake, "Who Killed Our Children", makes its world premiere at the 13th Pusan International Film Festival on Sunday. The film, the first independent documentary about the disaster, takes an unflinching look atthe devastation caused by the 8.0-magnitude quake -- and the effect it has had on those who survived.

The quake devastated wide areas of the southwestern Chinese province and left more than 87,000 people dead or missing -- many of them children who were buried in schools which parents say were built with shoddy materials.

Pan tells the story of the school, located in Qingchuan county, from both sides -- grief-stricken parents point their fingers at school officials who, along with local officials, say the quake was simply too powerful. "The quality of these buildings was terrible," the director said. "This is a big problem in China. Corruption is also a problem. It is shameful. And the parents are looking for answers. They were in such deep sorrow."

[sNAP]002(6).jpg

The official death toll from the school was 286 children, but some parents -- who say the doors to the dormitory were locked when the quake struck -- claim the figure was closer to 600.

Most of the bodies, they say,were found piled on top of each other near the exits, some hands still gripping door handles.

Pan, who was in Beijing at the time of the quake, says he immediately packed his camera and rushed to Sichuan. "I wanted to see this, and for people to see this -- to see what was actually going on," he said.

Making the film was not easy, Pan says. While survivors were willing to face the camera in the immediate aftermath of the quake, probably because they were still in shock, authorities were not so keen for the footage to be aired. Three weeks after the quake, when the entire region had been sealed off to the media, officials paid Pan a visit in Beijing and confiscated his tapes. But he explains: "I had made copies by then."

The film begins with images of what was once the school and dormitory, reduced to an enormous heap of rubble. Shoes and toys litter the scene. A little girl's smile lights up the pages of a photo album.

[sNAP]004(8).jpg

But then Pan's camera moves to the hundreds of graves, scattered in the brush on a nearby hillside, with only wooden doors or bedcovers to mark them.

At one stage, parents produce a report from the school they claim they found in the debris -- dated 2006 -- that says the dormitory, a 40-year-old converted hospital, was unsafe. "Local officials seem not to know how to face these problems," says Pan.

"They have no experience and they want to keep their jobs too. They just want to move things on and not face up to the problems."

In one emotional scene, students are shown undergoing "psychological" treatment in a makeshift tent classroom built by the Chinese army.

As they sing patriotic songs, enraged parents storm into the tent and ask why their kids are being made to perform for the benefit of state-sponsored media.

Pan -- whose previous work includes the award-winning documentary "The Bride" (2002) and feature films "Going Home" (2007) and "Endless Night" (2007) -- said he went to Sichuan to find the truth, but found that task difficult in the face of so much tragedy.

"It was impossible to confirm what was true and what was not true," said Pan. "So maybe everybody had some things in their stories that were true and some things that were not true. It is impossible to tell." "There was such frustration -- no one knew what to do. There is not much they can do but move on."

After screenings in Busan, Pan says he hopes to take his film to other international festivals -- and insists he is unconcerned about possible backlash at home. "I just hope as many people as possible can see this film," he said.

"Because we don't want these things to be forgotten."

Source: http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

Sunday, 05 October 2008

Pusan honours Rising Stars

Written by Marcus Lim

20081004203200536.jpg

BUSAN – Local superstars including Lee Byung-hun and Jung Woo-sung turned up Saturday to honor upcoming talent at the Premiere Star Summit Asia.

The event was an amalgamation of two existing ceremonies, PIFF’s Star Summit Asia, and Premiere’s own annual Rising Star Awards. The merging of both came from budgetary cutbacks, and to prevent the sponsorship overlaps of previous years.

"The festival organization chose and invited Star Summit Asia guests, while Rising Star Awards winners were selected by Premiere. I think the merged events have more synergy effects than ever." Soyoung Sohn, the international coordinator of APAN told Variety.

The Rising Star Awards winners were selected through polls from professionals and observers of Korean film industry and online votes by audiences.

1223128994699_1.jpg

Korean actors Ha Jung-woo for "The Chaser" and Soo Aae for "Sunny" received the 4th Rising Star Awards while the director award went to helmer Won Shin-yun for “Seven Days”.

Others that were honoured include Choung Kyung-ho, Best actor for "Sunny", and Chung Yeo-won, who won the best actress award for "Two Faces of My Girlfriend".

n2.jpg

n4.jpg

The star-studded event saw notable Korean celebrities like "The Good the Bad and the Weird" helmer Kim Ji-woon, and actors Lee Byung-hun and Jung Woo-sung joining in the festivities. Korea's top music producer and composer JYP was also at the show.

20081004215710174.jpg

20081004185949494.jpg

Other guests included, Korean stars The Wonder Girls, Eugene("Heartbreak Library") and Lee Min-ki("Oishi Man"), Korean American actors Aaron Yoo, James Kyson Lee and Moon Bloodgood were included. Other Asian stars such as Li Xiaolu, Mercedes Cabral, Kelly Lin, Chui Tien Yu and Fan Wing were also introduced.

Source: Variety Asia, images from empas.com

http://varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/7128/53/

Sunday, 05 October 2008

Zhang goes for "Revenge"

Chinese superstar to produce and star in local language romantic comedy

zhang-ziyi.jpg

PUSAN-- Zhang Ziyi is to star in a big-budget Chinese-language romantic comedy called "Sophie's Revenge." The China-South Korea co-production is being co-developed by Korea's CJ Entertainment and Zhang.

CJ will part finance the picture and is negotiating to pick up distribution rights in Europe and Asia. Other companies from Hong Kong and China are expected to provide the rest of the coin. Budget, currently set in the $20 million - $30 million range, will only be determined on the basis of final casting.

Pic will be helmed by an up and coming Chinese director to be announced in November in Beijing.

Zhang, who recently wrapped Chinese period drama "Mei Lanfang" and U.S. horror-thriller "The Horsemen," is understood to have been looking for a romantic comedy for Asian auds. She is next skedded to appear opposite Hugh Grant in the English-language romancer "Lost for Words."

"Romantic comedy with big stars like Zhang Ziyi, is not an established genre in China and we look forward to a successful collaboration with Zhang," Mike Suh, head of international film financing and distribution at CJ said. "More detailed information will be announced in Beijing in the near future."

CJ briefly introduced the project at its annual party in Busan, that serves as its annual curtain raiser for its next year's line-up. The company also unveiled a new Japanese co-production, "Fish Story," based on a hit novel by Isaka Kotaro.

"Fish" is produced by Amuse Soft and will be distributed in Japan by Showgate. CJ will invest in the production and take international rights.

Zhang previously appeared in two other Korean movies: "Musa The Warrior"(2001) and 2003's "My Wife Is a Gangster 2.

Source: Variety Asia

http://varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/7130/

October 5, 2008

Song Hye Kyo Promotes Her Debut Hollywood Movie

20081005193235958.jpg

On October 5th 5pm, Korean star Song Hye Kyo attended the press conference of her first ever Hollywood film, “Make Yourself at Home“, held at the Pusan International Film Festival. Apart from the 3 leads of the movie, veteran actors Ahn Sung Gi and Kang Soo Yeon were also present to support this independent film.

NISI20081005_0000119188_web.jpg

Song Hye Kyo’s debut Hollywood film “Make Yourself at Home”, also known as “Fetish”, was first revealed at the 13th Pusan International Film Festival. US actress Athena Curry and actor Arno Frisch were there for promotion as well.

NISI20081005_0000119189_web.jpg

“Make Yourself at Home” is a joint-collaboration between South Korea and U.S. It talks about a soon-to-turn-witch woman who moves to America and even marries an American in order to escape her destiny to become a witch. However, she did not manage to escape her fate but instead begins a battle with christian devotees. Song Hye Kyo plays as the cold-blooded witch So Hee.

1223200804343_1.jpg

The following are excerpts from the press conference taken from SongHyeGyo.net:

- When reporters asked Athena Curry about Song Hye Kyo’s English competence, she replied, “It’s excellent.” Upon hearing Curry’s answer, Song Hye Kyo shyly laughed.

- In the movie, 80% of the lines are in English. When asked whether or not it was difficult, she replied “This is my first English speaking project. So I practiced a lot and had examinations during spare time. The staff were all Americans so they were like teachers to me. Each of them were so helpful, if my pronounciation was wrong they would correct it. I am truly grateful to them.”

- “After ‘HwangJini’ was finished, it was by mere chance that I saw the script [for 'Make Yourself at Home'] and I really liked it.”

- “People are calling the film my advancement to Hollywood but it’s actually an independent film from New York. I, along with the loving people of the movie were able to stand in front of the camera with no burdens and act naturally. If another opportunity arises, I’d like to do an independent film again.”

- Athena Curry said, “Song Hye Kyo never lost her professional attitude and always displayed a happy impression.” Fellow co-star Arno Frisch also complimented her by saying, “Song Hye Kyo did a wonderful job and I enjoyed working with her.”

Copied from hanfever.com, images from empas

http://www.hanfever.com/2008/10/06/song-hy...ollywood-movie/

2008logo-1.gifSPECIAL EVENT - Master Class

"My Life, My Cinema" www.piff.org

Sunday, 05 October 2008

Tsui Hark Masterclass Part 1

Written by Marcus Lim

Tsui Hark, renowned director of the “Once Upon A Time In China” series, and a leading light of the 80’s New Wave movement in Hong Kong is in Pusan to give a masterclass, “My Life, My Cinema”. Variety's Pusan 2008 Blog brings you the highlights.

200810051613451128_1.jpg

20081005143014647.jpg

2.07 pm– Tsui Hark is late, and the crowd is getting restless. An announcement has been made in Korean, which your reporter cannot understand. So we will just have to wait.

2.15 pm– He’s here. 13 years ago he came to Pusan, and now he’s back. Tsui Hark takes the microphone. “My Life, My Cinema” This is a very large theme, that I still don’t have the answer to after 30 years, so we’ll just try our best then, okay?

2.17 pm– A five minute interval for photo taking, and Tsui Hark’s hamming it up for the audience.

2. 23 pm– Tsui Hark speaks: So how do we begin? We chase after emotion when we make movies. In the process of production, we may make decisions that people question. Some of the times it is easy, but many times even we don’t know why. Most of the time, it is our life experiences that colour the decisions we make in our films. Many time my answers are not what I think they should be.

2.25 pm– So I think the best place to start is at the very beginning, in my childhood. I decided in 1967 to go to America, I wanted to study cinema in US. It is a very important time of my life. My family had many siblings, 20 people in the family, things were very noisy and festive. My parents were always hopeful that their children would be professionals, stable lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc.

200810051430231128_1.jpg

My family is from Vietnam, I was raised there. When I was seven, next to my house, and opposite it, were two cinemas. We would play whenever it rained, in the puddles that formed in the streets. Probably due to the bad plumbing, it would always flood in the streets and we would go swimming.

Our games then moved from the puddles to the cinemas. Our games were basically to try and sneak into the cinemas. We would hold the hands of cinema patrons as they were walking into the cinemas and get in. Of course some adults did not like it, and some didn’t care, either way we still got into the cinema.

So if 2 out of the 5 children got in, then the responsibility would fall on the 2 to tell the rest the plot of the film when they got out. Obviously, some of the children would tell the story badly, or in their own viewpoints. And once another batch of children went in to the same film ,the story would be different. So this game became our game. Other times, we’d wait for the house to be packed and squeeze in under the legs of the adults.

Once in the cinema, we’d have to go and find a place to hide, because the ushers would often flush us out with their powerful torchlights and throw us out. At times, they’d just let us in when the house wasn’t full, since they lived in the area and knew all of us anyway.

Another game we had was to imitate the actors that we saw in the movies. I remember the cinema I was at often showed Indian films, which had a lot of song and dance, as they still do. So all of us children became Bollywood actors. For a long time, the street on which I lived had a lot of child Bollywood actors.

Godzilla was a film that came out when I was seven. So then Godzilla became the boogeyman for us. And when someone shouted, Godzilla is here, we’d have to go and hide.

200810051553131128_1.jpg

One more special point about my childhood is that the rooftops of our houses were linked, which meant that the children had a special street of their own to play in. So the roof, the streets, the drains where we swam in, all became our playground.

One day, we discovered that a photographic store had opened in our street. The boss allowed us to use a still camera that he owned. So we’d shoot stills of us in various Bollywood themes. And I also at that time used to learn magic. The boss, when he saw our stills, asked us if we wanted to use his Beaulieu Super8 camera.

So we started to make films then. I remember, some of my friends, at 12 or 13 would call back to tell their parents “I won’t be back for dinner. I’m shooting a film.” Every film that we shot, we financed through putting together all of our pocket money for the film and development.

So from 7 – 13, I had a very happy, contented childhood. (to be continued)

Credits to Variety Asia Blog, image from empas.com

http://varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/7131/10055/

Monday, 06 October 2008

Mirovision sells US remake rights for "Lover"

Korean distrib looking to up game with further international co-prods

Written by Han Sunhee

PUSAN - Korean producer and distributor Mirovision have sold remake rights for "Driving with My Wife's Lover" to U.S. management and production company Circle of Confusion.

Helmed by Kim Tae-sik, "Wife's Lover" is an independent feature which was screened at Sundance and Rotterdam in 2007. Pic deals with a story of a taxi driver who is jealous of his wife's affair with other man.

Mirovision initially revealed discussions with the U.S. firm a year ago, but finally completed the sale during the Asian Film Market in Pusan.

Mirovision also unveiled plans to produce "Tomorrow News," an action thriller based on a popular Korean comic series from the 1980s. The story involves strange radio broadcasts which report tomorrow's news beforehand and the catastrophic accidents which follow. Helmer Son Tae-woong ("The Cut") is attached and the film is currently in pre-production.

Company has been a regular investor in pics such as "Woman at the Beach" and "Antarctic Journey," but "Tomorrow News" is only the company's second Korean film as producer (after Park Joong-hoon starrer "Les Formidables" in 2006.) Mirovision is now looking for international investors from Japan and Europe for the $7 million pic.

"I hope this film will be a turning point for Mirovision," Mirovision prexy Jason Chae said. "I would like to focus more on the production side in the future, both Korean productions and international co-productions, while keeping going with the sales business."

Source: Variety Asia

http://varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/7141/

Monday, 06 October 2008

CJ is productive at Pusan

Korean conglom announces slate of deals with Japan, Scandinavia

Written by Han Sunhee

NISI20081004_0000116335_web.jpg

PUSAN - CJ Entertainment completed a string of deals at Asian Film Market in Pusan.

The conglom made a video distribution deal with Japan's Fine Films for five titles, including "Hellcats" "Fly High" "Kidnapping Granny K" "My Son" and "Radio Star".

Hong Kong's Celestial Films picked the TV rights for "The Good The Bad The Weird" and "Fate". Nonstop Entertainment for Scandinavia acquired all rights of "The Good The Bad The Weird".

CJ Entertainment also completed with Nonstop Entertainment for TV deals of its total of 15 library titles, including "Blood Rain" "Arahan" "No Blood No Tears" among others.

Source: Variety Asia, image from empas.com

http://varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/7142/

Guest meteorite_girl2006

does anyone has picture of Yoo Ah In? he attends the Pusan Festival but cant see any picture of him...thanks

Archived