Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

• 3 weeks later...

June 30, 2016

Veteran actress Jeon signs on for ‘Good Wife’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

29205620.jpg Wife.” 

Actress Jeon Do-yeon and actor Yoo Ji-tae will return to the small screen starting on July 8 through a new tvN drama series titled “The Good Wife.” 

The upcoming project, a remake of the famous American drama of the same name, revolves around the life of Kim Hye-kyung, played by Jeon, who returns to being a lawyer after 15 years when her husband is suddenly arrested. 

Yoo will play the role of Jeon’s fictional husband, a prosecutor who gets arrested over allegations of corruption and involvement in a sex scandal. 

Other celebrities, including actors Yoon Kye-sang and Lee Won-keun, actress Kim Seo-hyung and singer-turned-actress Nana from girl group After School, will also star in the upcoming series.

“Choosing who to cast for the drama was not difficult, and I was very lucky because the six characters that we wished to cast all agreed to star in the drama,” director Lee Jung-hyo said.

The director explained that the Korean version of the drama has been adjusted to fit the mood and sentiment of Korean viewers. Lee further explained that the ending of the Korean version may not be the same as that of the original.

The upcoming series will be the first in which Jeon has starred in 11 years. 

“I decided to take part in the drama because I was mesmerized by the storyline,” Jeon said. “When choosing a new project, I usually focus on the emotions of a character rather than the scenario. However, ‘The Good Wife’ is the first project for which I considered the scenario before the character’s emotions.”

The drama has been receiving attention from the public well before its release because of its star-studded cast. 

Jeon was the first Korean actress to win an award at the Cannes Film Festival. 

BY JIN MIN-JI

2016063001002395800167851.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

July 3, 2016

Jeon Do-yeon returns with “Good Wife”

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

17-01(536).jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon poses for a photo at a press conference of "The Good Wife," a Korean remake of the hit CBS series, at Amoris Hall in Seoul on June 29. / Yonhap

Jeon Do-yeon, one of the A-list Korean actresses who grabbed the Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Actress in 2007, aims to take over the small screen this time with tvN's new drama "The Good Wife," premiering on July 8.

Leaving the 2005 SBS drama "Lovers in Prague" as her last role on TV, Jeon has built up her cinematic career for the last 11 years. 

In "The Good Wife," the Korean remake of the popular CBS series of the same name, Jeon will take the role of Kim Hye-kyung, a lawyer-turned-housewife forced to return to her job as a lawyer after her husband is mired in a scandal and put behind bars. 

As the original American series has won numerous awards, including five Emmys, there are high expectations for what the seasoned actress can bring to the Korean adaptation.

"When choosing a new project, I usually focus on the emotions of a character. But, with ‘The Good Wife,' I found myself so immersed in the story and the situation Hye-kyung found herself in," said Jeon, telling why she joined the drama, during a press conference held at Amoris Hall in central Seoul on June 29.

"I've always wished to get closer to the viewers. I've done so many complex characters that people might feel distance or have a hard time understanding. This time, I wanted to take something light and fun, rather than heavy and serious," said Jeon.

Actor Yoo Ji-tae will play Hye-kyung's husband, a prosecutor who is arrested over allegations of corruption and involvement in a sex scandal. Actor Yoon Kye-sang takes the role of Seo Joong-won, the representative of Hye-kyung's law firm, and singer-turned-actress Nana, from girl group After School, tries acting for the first time in Korea by playing Kim Dan, the law firm's researcher.

Director Lee Jung-hyo said that Jeon's cast was largely unexpected even for him.

"When the drama's remake was decided and our staffers gathered to discuss who to cast, all four of us unanimously thought of Jeon for the role of Hye-kyung," he said. "However, we didn't expect her to join us, so when she actually accepted the offer, we were all surprised. Even when I'm shooting the drama with her, it feels like I'm dreaming."

The director explained that the Korean version of the drama has been adjusted to fit the sentiment of Korean viewers. Lee also signaled that the denouement of the Korean adaptation may not be the same as that of the original.

"Comparing it with the original would give additional fun to the viewers. As it is a remake of an already popular drama series, I cannot help but feel pressured. But, I hope the viewers can focus on the emotional flow of the heroine," said Lee.

"The crux of the original has been asking the question of whether it is really good to be a good wife. We didn't fix the ending, but made it a principle that we will not plainly describe what she should be. It may or may not have the same ending as the original."

"The Good Wife" will be broadcasted at 8:30 p.m. every Friday and Saturday on tvN.

jinhai@ktimes.com

July 11, 2016

tvN's 'Good Wife' starring Jeon Do-yeon off to good start

SEOUL, July 11 (Yonhap) -- TvN's new series "Good Wife" got off to a good start with four percent viewership on its first broadcast last week. 

The Friday-Saturday night series on the cable channel has been highly anticipated among Korean drama fans as Jeon Do-yeon, one of the country's most established actresses, made her long-awaited comeback to television after 11 years of focus on cinema. 

AEN20160711003600315_01_i.jpg

A scene of tvN's "Good Wife" (Yonhap)

"Good Wife" is the Korean remake of the popular American soap opera of the same name on CBS. She plays Kim Hye-kyung, a former attorney-turned housewife who is forced become a lawyer again after her husband (Yoo Ji-tae) is mired in a scandal and put behind bars. 

In the first episode that aired last Friday, Kim persistently tackled a difficult case that she ultimately resolves. She so compellingly portrayed the confusion the lead character goes through while she is turning herself back into an independent, professional woman working in the legal field after having lived her life as a stay-at-home housewife for nearly 15 years. 

The first episode reconfirmed why the actress is considered one of the best and had done so well on TV and on the silver screen. At its highest, the viewership hit 5.9 percent, a rate considered excellent for a cable drama. 

AEN20160711003600315_02_i.jpg

A compilation of scenes from tvN's "Good Wife" (Yonhap)

AEN20160711003600315_03_i.jpg
A scene from "Good Wife" shows Jeon Do-yeon (L) (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr 

July 26, 2016

'The Good Wife' remake rises to No. 6 on CPI chart

SEOUL, July 26 (Yonhap) -- The Korean remake of the hit American drama "The Good Wife" ranked sixth on a TV popularity chart earlier this month, data showed Tuesday.

The remake of the same name premiered on the South Korean cable channel tvN on July 8, starring the Cannes award-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon. Jeon plays the full-time housewife Kim Hye-gyeong, who pursues a legal career after her prosecutor husband becomes mired in a scandal.

The Korean version has drawn viewers with top-notch performances from its cast, which also includes actor Yoo Ji-tae in the role of the sexy and enigmatic husband, and Nana of girl group After School in the role of an in-house investigator at Kim's law firm.

The drama scored 222.6 points on the Content Power Index (CPI) for the week of July 11-17. A week earlier, it had debuted in 7th place with 221.9 points.

The index, developed by entertainment company CJ E&M and media ratings company Nielsen Korea, measures the popularity of TV shows based on the number of views of related news stories, keyword searches and mentions on social media.

SBS TV's medical drama "Doctors" took the top spot with 264.7 points, pushing KBS TV's new romance series "Uncontrollably Fond" to second place.

In third place was Mnet's hip-hop competition program "Show Me the Money 5," trailed by tvN's new drama "Let's Fight Ghost" in fourth place.

This image shows stills from the tvN drama "Good Wife." (Yonhap)

This image shows stills from the tvN drama "Good Wife." (Yonhap)

hague@yna.co.kr

July 28, 2016

Jeon Do-yeon says romantic scene in drama made her 'sad'

By Lee Haye-ah

SEOUL, July 28 (Yonhap) -- The Cannes award-winning South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon said on Thursday she felt sad during the filming of a romantic scene in her latest drama as it revealed the emotional struggles her character is going through.

Jeon plays the female protagonist Kim Hye-kyung in the tvN series "The Good Wife," which is a remake of the hit American drama of the same name. In the latest episode aired last week, the housewife-turned-attorney is kissed by her longtime friend and boss Seo Joong-won before she heads home and kisses her scandal-mired prosecutor husband Lee Tae-joon.

The scene created a stir among viewers here as it was seen as controversial in a still conservative society.

"Our director asked me if I was OK with it," Jeon said during a press conference at a hotel in western Seoul. "I wasn't sure before we began shooting the scene, but afterward, it felt sad to understand what Kim Hye-kyung was going through.

"I later came to realize that it's a scene where she accepts her reality," the actress said.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon (Yonhap)

Actress Jeon Do-yeon (Yonhap)

hague@yna.co.kr

July 28, 2016

K-dramatized ‘Good Wife’ is expressive, direct

Director and actors of Korean remake opted to be straightforward instead of subtle 

The popular U.S. legal drama “The Good Wife” starts out with its heroine Alicia Florrick, played by Juliana Margulies, standing rigidly next to her disgraced politician husband at a press conference, her expression unfathomable. 

The show which aired from 2009 to May this year traced Florrick’s growth as she heads out into the workplace to support her family when her husband is sent to prison, after 15 years as a stay-at-home wife. 

Margulies’ nuanced portrayal of the heroine’s steely composure coupled with a vulnerability that seeps through has won her numerous awards, including a Golden Globe and an Emmy.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, who plays housewife-turned-attorney Kim Hye-kyung in tvN’s “The Good Wife,” the Korean remake of an American legal drama of the same title, poses for a photo before a press conference in Seoul Thursday. (CJ E&M)

In the show’s Korean remake, also titled “Good Wife,” which began July 8 and will air for 16 episodes on cable channel tvN, Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon takes up the role, renamed Kim Hye-Kyung. What is different is Jeon chooses passion and expression over inscrutable subtlety in relaying the character. 

“(Alicia) seemed reserved and distant. When I read the Korean script, I imagined (Hye-kyung) as the complete opposite,” said Jeon at a press conference for the show in western Seoul on Thursday. “I thought a more expressive character would be more relatable to the Korean audience,” she added.

“But they’re similar in that they both grow, in different ways, gradually throughout the show,” she said. 

Director Lee Jung-hyo also wanted to take a simpler approach in conveying the characters to viewers.

“In the American show, you never know what (Alicia) is thinking,” he said. “I made Hye-kyung express all her emotions through her own words.” 

He added that other characters, such as Hye-kyung’s husband Tae-jun, played by Yoo Ji-tae, are more distinctive. “He’s much more immoral,” said Lee, comparing Tae-jun with Peter Florrick, Alicia’s husband in the original series, played by Chris Noth. 

Though tvN’s show shares many identical cases with its U.S. counterpart, Lee had wanted to create a distinct show that caters to the Korean sentiment. 

“I told the actors they didn’t have to watch the American show,” he said.

The original CBS show seemed all about unpredictable characters. Alicia offered a rich mixture of demureness, passion, intelligence and emotion, while Peter was both an ambitious politician and a tender-hearted husband. Will Gardner, a partner at the law firm where Alicia works, played by Josh Charles, was hotheaded but tactful. 

Yoon Kye-sang, a singer-turned-actor portraying Seo Joong-won, Will’s Korean counterpart, also wanted to add layers to his character.

“I thought it would be more interesting to oscillate back and forth rather than stick to one certain characteristic,” he said. “(Joong-won) is sometimes very cold and sacrifices everything for his firm. But he is also in love with Hye-kyung,” said Yoon. 

From left: Lee Won-geun, Yoon Kye-sang, Jeon Do-yeon, Nana and Yoo Ji-tae, the cast of tvN’s “The Good Wife,” pose for a photo for the show’s Seoul press conference Thursday. (CJ E&M)

The original creators Robert and Michelle King have said that the show was modeled around the Clinton scandal. It was inspired by a news frame of former U.S. first lady and current Democratic presidential nominee Hillary standing by her husband’s side, her expression unfathomable. 

Director Lee, however, focused more on the “personal than the political,” adding there was “no Korean equivalent” to the U.S. power couple.

“I did do some research on the Clintons,” he added. “But I thought more about how any individual would react in those situations,” he said. 

The Korean “Good Wife” is seeing an average viewership of 4 percent, a strong figure among cable networks, according to tvN’s parent company CJ E&M.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

July 30, 2016

Jeon Do-yeon Shines in 'Good Wife' Remake

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

Jeon Do-yeon

A remake of the hit U.S. TV series "The Good Wife" on a cable channel here provides a tailor-made outing for the Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon.

In the tvN series, she plays a woman who struggles as a lawyer, a mother and a human being after her husband cheats on her. 

"I was nervous and stressed because it's my first appearance on the small screen in a decade," she told reporters Thursday.

"The whole crew gathered together to watch the first episode," which aired early this month, she said. But now the glowing reviews have taken a weight off her shoulders.

Julianna Margulies, the original Good Wife, is a hard act to follow. But Jeon said she was unable to fully empathize with the American character at first.

After watching a few episodes of the original, she thought her character should be different and adapted to the scene here. "But both of the women grow because of their struggles," she said. 

She has shot around half of the 16-episode series and hopes it will keep viewers' attention.

• 3 weeks later...

August 15, 2016

"List of Names" From Jeon Do-yeon to Ha Jung-woo, 8 stars that are entrusted with the success of a movie

Source: Xportsnews via Hancinema.net

photo756319.jpg

8 Box Office Hit stars were announced on the tvN show "List of Names".

In 8th place came Lee Jong-suk who has been on a roll with "Secret Garden", "High Kick 3, The Short Legs Counterattack", "I Hear Your Voice", "Pinocchio" and "W".

Lee Jong-suk has managed to be successful because of his love for dramas and choosing his work in a viewer's point of view.

In 7th place came Lee Dong-hwi who starred in the movies "Beauty Inside", "The Handmaiden" and "Veteran". He also starred in the drama "Answer Me 1988".

In 6th place came Kong Hyo-jin who has always been successful with her dramas ever since her debut in 1999 with "Memento Mori".

Kong Hyo-jin has become an entrusted actress with her success in the dramas, "Thank You", "Pasta", "Master's Sun", "It's Okay, That's Love", "Producers" and more.

Coming in 5th was Seo In-guk, the winner of "Super Star K 1". He starred in "Answer to 1997", "The King of High School Manners" and "38 Revenue Collection Unit" as an actor, not a singer. He hasn't had one criticism about his acting so far and has become a represent able actor in his 20s.

In 4th place is Oh Dal-soo, who has made his way up to success with his unique character. He's made hits in "The Host", "The Thieves", "Ode to My Father", "Veteran" and "The Assassination".

Son Ye-jin came in third. She has been the symbol of innocence and she's earned a name for herself with performances in "My Wife Got Married", "Pirates" and "The Last Princess".

Ha Jeong-woo is in 2nd place. He spent many years as an actor with no name at first but made it big with "The Chaser", "Nameless Gangster", "The Berlin File", "The Assassination" and more.

Coming in first is no other than Jeon Do-yeon, the 'queen of mellow'. She debuted in 1990 at the age of 18 and earned a name for her innocent character.

Jeon Do-yeon starred in "The Contact", "A Promise", "The Harmonium in My Memory", "You are my Sunshine" and more. After getting married, she still hit the high road with "Secret Sunshine", "The Housemaid - 2010" and even won a prize at the Cannes International Film Festival.

• 2 weeks later...

August 29, 2016

Jeon Do Yeon, "I wish my daughter chose to become something other than an actress"

Source: Xportsnews via Hancinema.net

photo759446.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon laughs the most when she's talking about her daughter.

She said, "She's not 'little Jeon Do-yeon' but she has my nose and forehead. She's a little bit of me and my husband". When she was asked what she would do if her daughter wanted to become an actress, she thought for a bit and replied, "I would want her to choose something else. I don't think I want her to become an actress".

She didn't say why but we could understand her through her interview. The drama making environment in Korea is fragile. All-nighters and last minute scripts are still big. They say it's getting better, but filming is still being done until the last minute; it's almost live. Jeon Do-yeon is in a drama for the first time in 10 years but she says, "I wish they'd let us sleep".

"I even wonder how the staff do it. I wondered why it's not improving but they say it's impossible unless it's 100% pre-produced. Then why doesn't everyone just do that? They have to reflect on the viewers' opinions and adjust the drama as they go along. It's not something I can make a difference on".

She's worried about the staff but she's also worried about herself. She feels tired. The scenes where she has to memorize a lot of lines in the court are the hardest and she said, "I joke that this is a hardcore job. I lost more than a kilogram after a court scene". She's been on vitamins and food good for the body as she has the most scenes in the drama.

Still, she thinks about how she can become better. She's playing a lawyer for the first time in her acting career. "It's tough memorizing lines that transfer information regarding the cases. I try really hard, but it's not. I might have to think lawyer or prosecutor roles in the future".

Jeon Do-yeon might feel pressured about the nickname 'Queen of Cannes' but she's acceptant. "I can't change how people see me".

August 31, 2016

[Interview] Yoon Kye Sang, "I had to be alert between Jeon Do Yeon and Yoo Ji Tae"

Source: Sports Hankooki via Hancinema.net

fullsizephoto736639.jpg

"One of my favorite dramas is still "Alone in Love". It has been since I was in the military. I wanted to do something like that and "The Good Wife" has fulfilled my wish. The drama let me realize that love is the only truth in this world of contradiction. It's influenced me a lot".

It's been 13 years since Yoon Kye-sang started acting. He is no longer an 'actor turned idol'. He's been acting steadily for a while now and he seems relaxed.

Yoon Kye-sang took on the role of Seo Joong-won, a CEO of a law firm and Kim Hye-kyeong's (Jeon Do-yeon) lover and supporter. Seo Joong-won is a twofold character. He does anything for money but he changes after he meets Kim Hye-kyeong. His motivation is and always her.

"It was hard being Seo Joong-won. He seems like the White Knight and he seems like an easy character but he actually isn't. There's no impressive scene of him, so he could turn blurry. A character like that who is cold towards some people but warm towards others, is very hard to work out. It was only true that I didn't stand out in the beginning of "The Good Wife". I don't even have a house in the drama. I have no background. I get an identity from the fourth episode where I start running into Lee Tae-joon".

Spoiler

photo760268.jpg

In a recollection scene, Seo Joong-won in glasses is waiting outside a training institute for Kim Hye-kyeong with flowers to confess his love for her. This innocent man becomes different after he becomes the CEO of a law firm. Yoon says, 'he's been addicted to doing bad things'. Yoon Kye-sang and Seo Joong-won aren't alike but he says he can relate.

"Seo Joong-won is responsible for a law firm so he has to manage the organization. He has to go through lawsuits to keep the firm going and he also has to fire people sometimes. The scene where he leaves a sweet message for Kim Hye-kyeong expresses him the best. "My plan is to love you" is very Seo Joong-won-like. It's like he's saying he's going to give up the law firm for her. That hit me realistically".

Yoon Kye-sang gave himself 80 out of 100 in "The Good Wife". That's because he acted with consciousness and he always fulfilled what he planned. The other 20 is because he thinks it's up to the public. "I have no regrets. I'll do the same even if I go back".

"Working on the drama was fun. I don't think about much when I'm around people. "The Good Wife" took four months to make 16 episodes. This is the same as making a single movie into two parts every week. It was really quick. We didn't cause a lot of NGs. I did, because of the legal terms (laughs)".

He's always wanted to work with Jeon Do-yeon and Yoo Ji-tae. Their existence alone helps him. That's why he had to stay alert otherwise he would be compared to them.

"Jeon Do-yeon is the best. Feedback? They don't care. They don't interfere with others' acting. They know how hard it is and they know it's not something one can fix just like that. I've done about 20 dramas and movies and I have never met anyone like her. She has amazing aura. She got that power around her".

"The Good Wife" started off with 4% and ended with 6.7%. It could be disappointing compared to the expectations but Yoon Kye-sang disagrees.

"I don't think it's disappointing. "The Good Wife" is the starting point for everyone. For some it's a comeback drama, for some it's been a turning point and others it's just the beginning. It was just right. However, the reason why the numbers slowed down is because of sentiment. The sentiment of the drama is quite hard to accept in Korea still. Still, the production didn't change anything and went along with it".

photo760269.jpg

Yoon Kye-sang has no plans at the moment. He wants to do something bright and energetic. He's either done just bright or just dark. Seo Joong-won is somewhere in between. When he was asked if he will do season 2 of "The Good Wife", he answered, "I will if everyone from the first are in on it".

"I'm going to take a break for now. I want to go on vacation. I need time to enjoy some leisure. But "The Bacchus Lady" is coming out soon. I like the movie's message, even though I don't appear much in it. I also want to try a historical drama".

He has two pets named Gamsa and Haeyo. They are the only kinds of dog breeds he can raise. He spends time walking with them in the park.

"I have allergies to animals. I get swollen easily but these dogs have no oil in their fur and they don't fall out as much. They are so lovable. Marriage? I still find work interesting so I think it's better we support each other and work a little bit more".

It's only Park Joon-hyeong who's seen the drama "The Good Wife". g.o.d is also in motion and it takes time for the members to get together to make plans. It seems like they are going to make a comeback.

"I heard that Sechs Kies are coming back. I hope they do well. Reunions are not a joke. It took us years to do it because everyone has a life. We had to give up many things and spare each other to make the concert possible".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

happy-new-year-2.gif 

December 31, 2016

December Film Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed  

Source: Soompi by C. Hong 

After announcing brand reputation rankings for drama actors earlier this month, the Korean Business Research Institute announced the rankings for film actors.

From November 30 to December 30, the institute gathered over 72 million pieces of data to evaluate film actors in the areas of branding, media, communication, and community.

Gong Yoo, who starred in the hit film “Train to Busan” and is currently appearing in tvN drama “Goblin,” topped the list with a score of 7,705,239.

Second and third were Kang Dong Won (7,472,214) and Lee Byung Hun (6,871,074).

The full list of rankings is below:

1. Gong Yoo
2..Kang Dong Won
3. Lee Byung Hun
4. Han Hyo Joo
5. Yoo Hae Jin
6. Kim Yoon Suk
7. Jung Woo Sung
8. Kim Soo Hyun
9. Hwang Jung Min
10. Han Ji Min
11. Song Kang Ho
12. Jun Ji Hyun
13. Ha Jung Woo
14. Son Ye Jin
15. Cha Seung Won
16. Oh Dal Soo
17. Kim Hye Soo
18. Lee Beom Soo
19. Jung Jin Young
20. Lee Jung Jae
21. Yoo Ah In
22. Choi Min Sik
23. Jeon Do Yeon
24. Ryu Seung Ryong 

Source (1)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

February 17, 2017

February Film Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by K. Do 

On February 18, the Korea Business Research Institute revealed their brand reputation rankings for film actors based on their findings from 72,745,586 pieces of data gathered from January 16 to February 17.

“Goblin” star Gong Yoo takes first place for the second month in a row with a score of 10,728,767. He enjoyed a 39.24 percent increase from his January score.

Second place goes to Jo In Sung who recently returned with the movie “The King.” As for third place, Yoo Hae Jin got the spot with a brand reputation score of 4,625,614.

The full rankings can be seen below:
1. Gong Yoo
2. Jo In Sung
3. Yoo Hae Jin
4. Kim Soo Hyun
5. Jun Ji Hyun
6. Jung Woo Sung
7. Ha Jung Woo
8. Kang Dong Won
9. Lee Byung Hun
10. Hwang Jung Min
11. Yoo Ah In