[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest darcyausten86

I love the first episode, but I will never do online streaming again. It kept buffering every two minutes. Jandi's family is a bit more crazier then the Japanese version. All of the F4 boys are hot. My favorite part is the ice cream scene when Jandi threw money on Joon Pyo. That took guts! My heart melted when Ji Hoo brushed some of the flour from Jandi face and uniform. So sweet.

Tomorrow episode looks good. Can't wait!

Guest smpilova

WOW

i'm starting to see the first episode

and it's REALLLLYYYYY like GOONG!

hahahha

she has a dad a mom (the mom from goong) and a little brother

hahah just like goong.

but i'm expecting this drama to be better

Guest ajewell

Well, I LOVED it! And that was just watching the raw, with no real understanding of the dialog!

I'm a huge fan of Hana Yori Dango in general and have seen all its variations, so I've been looking forward to this ever since it was first announced. Right now, I'm loving ALL the cast (contrary to popular opinion) and it's great fun seeing how they change the story as it goes along. It's just different enough to seem new and exciting, while still maintaining the original feel of the HYD story. I think fans (especially young ones who are unfamiliar with the manga) will really enjoy it. ^_^

On another note, I think it's much too early for people to start comparing it to the Taiwanese and Japanese versions. I think each version has had something fresh and new to offer in its retelling, so I look forward to seeing what the Korean version does to set it apart from the rest and in what areas they shine.

For me, 2008 was a crappy year for Korean dramas, so I'm hoping Boys Before Flowers can shift the trend. So far, I think it's off to a terrific start. I'm just going to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride... ^_^

I thought the first episode was good for the first episode.

The plot was moving along pretty quickly, which I liked.

It kind of bothered me that Jandi looked older than the boys, like others have mentioned, but that was forgivable.

From the first episode, what I'm looking forward to the most is Jandi's family (even though I thought of Goong when I saw Jandi's mom)!

Looking forward to watching the 2nd episode!!!

Guest misslynda85

i woke up extra early just so i could see the live streaming. but holy cow, it was buffering every 30 seconds or so, and after about an unsuccessful 5 minutes of trying to watch it live i gave up. but thankfully aja-aja had the HQ version up.

** this episode was so funny. i laughed so hard during the icecream scene. i rewatched it a couple times just because it was so hilarious. i loved how they remade this scene. it's much more funny and bold for the "makino" character from the manga.

i'm really hoping for more scenes to make me laugh. overall i really enjoyed it, even all the over-the-top reactions from jandi. i think it makes this version more comical. and needless i say more about f4. *drools.

Guest Qi Luo

Daily TV Rating - [Monday 2009-01-05]

TNS

Show / Network / Nationwide Rating / Seoul Rating

East Of Eden <에덴의동쪽> (MBC) - 28.0%

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> (KBS2) - 14.3%

Terroir <떼루아> (SBS) - 7.6%

AGB

East Of Eden <에덴의동쪽> (MBC) - 27.3%

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> (KBS2) - 13.7%

Terroir <떼루아> (SBS) - 7.2%

Source: http://www.asiae.co.kr/uhtml/read.jsp?idxno=471229

Wow! I almost guessed the ratings right!

I thought it would be around 15%! :)

That's a pretty good rating for a first episode of any show and it's a great greating for a KBS drama. Lately KBS dramas didn't had good ratings.

I still think the ratings would be better if the drama aired on an appropriated hour for the public this drama is aiming for. 21:55h is too late for teens, they have school next day and etc. And I guess most of the koreans viewers of this drama are teens.

I hope the ratings increase even more next episode! :)

Guest hotmit

I actually love every version of HYD b/c I love the manga a lot...but this is the most expected version b/c the cast is just what I image...I hope this will be a hit, take over the spot of those current drama, which I did really disappointed...so yeah, go HYD...I see potential here, it will be another HIT after a very bad year for KDrama.

Guest Sammi83

OMG. Lol! That girl is so annoying like Janice from Friends with her "Oh..my..god.." It's better than I expect it to be since remakes tend to be not as great as the originals. It's nice that they're putting their own spin on it.

Guest stephtef

the first episode was great!!

I've been waiting for this drama for months!!

as for the ratings...

i hope it gets higher on the later ep...

can't wait for the subbed ones... : ]

Daily TV Rating - [Monday 2009-01-05]

TNS

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> (KBS2) - 14.3%

AGB

Boys Over Flower <꽃보다 남자> (KBS2) - 13.7%

Source: http://www.asiae.co.kr/uhtml/read.jsp?idxno=471229

^Pretty good ratings for the pilot episode, esp considering the fact that East Of Eden is happening.

It's difficult not to do it, but I think we should try to watch this the first time around without trying to compare it to the previous versions. Treat it as its own story, that way you are able to enjoy it for what it's worth instead of wasting your focus continually recollecting, "Ooh, that's not how Inoue Mao would've done it" etc etc

As for the quick jump on Goo Hye Sun's performance- as valleygirl said, it is only episode one. The woman has alot to live up to & I am sure she feels that w/o us ridiculing or judging her every expression. And honestly, it's not like it's a disaster. And in fact, I think she did pretty good. I've seen plenty worse. So far to me it just seems maybe she's just trying to get a full grasp on the character but I have faith & am willing to give her a chance to find her way in making Jandi her own. I think she has the charisma to do it.

Out of the lot, I would say Min Ho impressed me the most last night. He seems to have blended perfectly well into his character. Virtually every tone & move felt right.

Overall, very entertaining pilot, I really enjoyed the first episode. How can you not? It's probably one of the best high school love stories ever <3

edit: the roundhouse kick that Jandi is gonna give Jun Pyo in episode 2 looks frck awesome XDD Can't wait to see it!

I thoroughly enjoyed both previous versions, but I've gotta say: even without subtitles Goo Hye Sun's "Jandi" just jumps off of the screen :o which I'm certain is pretty much what the director was counting on when he selected her. <_< I thought that Meteor Garden was played more or less realistically, with Barbie Xu owning the series throughout every scene and Jerry Yan far outdistancing the wooden performance of his Japanese counterpart, (Matsumtoto Jun) who seemed to be fairly good at looking smug, and little else. -_-Mao Inoue was cute and understated in Hana Yori Dango, but the nine episodes flew past without enough time to really convince me that the leader of F4 had done anything to gain her affection, given the horrible character he was in the early going. (It didn't seem to take "Makino" too long to get over the beatings, bullying, and attempted rape that "Domyoji's" red tag had put the official seal of approval on. :huh:) With the extra episodes and the excellent supporting cast, I'm confident that Hye Sun and the Korean crew can lead this group of new actors to an end that satisfies most of those who will allow themselves to become satsified. :unsure:

Thanks to whomever provided the download from mediafire. :D With the large amount of seeders, I was able to watch episode one in about an hour's time and am really happy with the quality of the picture. Can't wait to add the softsubs onto it when they get here and watch it all over again. :P

Guest Pocky.

wow, the first episode seems really good from reviews --

ngaw, I haven't got the chance to watch it

the show aired so late though, i think I would've slept

I thought it would air like at 6 or something :S

looking forward to watching soooon (:

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now as long as they don't stray away from the manga then everything's going to be fine

it was totally awesome...can't wait for the highkick that's going to land on jun pyoo's face.....

Guest miacallisto

Everyone seems to hate Gu Hye Sun's acting in this. I thought she was pretty good. I remember the PD said he wanted to sort of make it like the anime/manga so maybe that's one of the reasons. But I think the main reason GHS seems a little over the top is because she's supposed to be that way. Makino is supposed to be spirited and fun and loud whereas the F4 is supposed to be sort of stiff and restrained. And Makino was always kind of animated. The F4 were always really amused by her.

And I think the F4 were great especially Lee Min Ho. They were kind of perfect. I mean, in the Taiwanese version the entire cast were newbies and their acting was awful (I still love that version but they did not know how to act at all).

I also love all their own little details they added to make different and "more Korean".

I really loved it and can't wait for the subs (yay WITH S2) and ep 2 tomorrow! I love all versions of HYD but I think I might like this the best xD

Guest hopesofgreen

^Pretty good ratings for the pilot episode, esp considering the fact that East Of Eden is happening.

It's difficult not to do it, but I think we should try to watch this the first time around without trying to compare it to the previous versions. Treat it as its own story, that way you are able to enjoy it for what it's worth instead of wasting your focus continually recollecting, "Ooh, that's not how Inoue Mao would've done it" etc etc

As for the quick jump on Goo Hye Sun's performance- as valleygirl said, it is only episode one. The woman has alot to live up to & I am sure she feels that w/o us ridiculing or judging her every expression. And honestly, it's not like it's a disaster. I've seen plenty worse. So far to me it just seems like she is still trying to get a full grasp on the character but I have faith & am willing to give her a chance to find her way in making Jandi her own. I think she has the charisma to do it.

Out of the lot, I would say Min Ho impressed me the most last night. He seems to have blended perfectly well into his character. Virtually every tone & move felt right.

Overall, I really enjoyed the first episode. How can you not? It's probably one of the best high school love stories ever <3

^ Well said! The different adaptations all have their different strengths and weaknesses, and it's much more enjoyable to just watch it unfold without any bias. However, comparison is inevitable.

Just watched ep. 1 unsubbed, and it's a good start. The rating looks promising too, considering that it's going against East of Eden.

GHS does seem to overact, but it's too soon to judge. Maybe she'll learn from it and tone it down?

Oh, and LMH is <3!

Can't wait for subs!

Guest curlyhairedteen

I really like the first episode it was better than I thought it would be.

The ratings were pretty good since it was up against East of Eden.

I can't wait for tomorrow's episode especially the highkick.

Guest Jamieâ„¢

I just watched the first episode on youtube! thanks to whoever uploaded it =)

things I liked:

- Jandi's family. Her little brother is SO adorable! omg I just wanna pinch his cheeks. I love the scene at the beginning when her dad is sending her to school, and the car alarm (or whatever that was lol) goes off. :lol:

- Lee Minho! I thought he was great in his role. This might be the first time I like Domyouji more than Rui.

things I didn't like:

- F4's entrance. LOL I don't think there's a way of not making it look cheesy, but mann they were like glowing LOL

- Kim Hyun Joong. I don't know, he wasn't exactly bad, but he didn't make me swoon over him either and Rui is like my favorite character in the manga.

- the engrish. "Yo yo yo whassup man" 0_0

the bullying scene at the beginning was really violent wow was the guy getting beat up Jung Eui Chul?

I like the ss501 song playing at the end (at least.. I think it's ss501)