[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest F4fan

Don't get me wrong -- I did say that JD still has some fight in her but from the previews and the spoilers, there's this sense of underlying passiveness as if there is no urgency, no fire in her belly from her. I am looking forward to all the scenes of her trying to help JP regain his memory of her from the lunchbox to the the swimming pool scene. How JD goes forth with her plan will tell us alot about her how serious she is about JP.

I relate this to her dream of being a doctor. We don't know if she is going to do something about it since its not the whole episode. Is she going to let fate dictate her future or is she going to take the reigns and dictate her own future? I hope its the latter.

Boys Over flowers is the first drama, I excitedly follow each week. Being an avid fan of the manga and the 2 previous version, I've made a compilation of all the great aspects I enjoy.

10 reasons why I enjoy Boys Over Flowers:

1. Location, location, location, the beautiful sceneries were breathtaking.

2. The casts' attire, although, had some minor mishap, nonetheless, still very impressive.

3. Cruise ship's, airplanes, vehicles, bicycles were creatively featured.

4. Excellent casting, especially with the 2 leading actors Lee Min Ho and Go Hye Sun.

5. Jun Pyo half nake, Jun Pyo half nake.

6. The in dept human depiction of the characters.

7. Portrayal of family loyalty, family love, family legacy versus sacrifices of the heart.

8. Physical beauty doesn't always overpower beauty of the soul.

9. True love can withstand the test of time, temptation and evil mother in law's.

10. Jun Pyo showering, playing sports and shirtless. Jun Pyo showering, playing sports and shirtless.

Guest ml_87

denise31: nice job, guy! i love the 10th the most! ha ha :D

blueangle , F4 fan: i cant understand anything u guys said. what is the island thing?

yeah, Bummie and Kim Joon finished filming in 27th. at first, they said that F3 (excluding KHJ) would go to the signing but finally, only F2 cauz Mino was busy with filming. and they continue fimling today, right? oh, waht are the scenes of only JoonDi? :w00t: :w00t:

dreampryncezz: in real life, i like Jp more ^^ i love the kind of man who's manly, possessive and especially when he's jealous with other guys ^^ but if he has a mom like mama kang, i would leave him right away. :D yeah, i cant be as strong as JD. :) but with a man like JH, i may not able to have a close relationship cauz i dun like silent man :)

Though we have our complaints/displeasure over the way the script was written from epi 13 onwards..... but i still agreed that the korean version is the best of all...... :D

Our reporter did a review on all the 3 versions(Taiwan, Japan & Korean version) and gave her own rating to it..!

The Sunday Times, 29 March 2009

By Jocelyn Lee

Singapore

Going Ga-ga over Man-ga

In Taiwan, it is called Meteor Garden(2001). In Japan, Hana Yori Dango(2005), and in Korea, it goes by Boys Over Flowers(2009). Now, China's Hunan TV is coming up with another version of the wildly popular idol drama, which will air later this year. The Philippines is also reportedly producing a remake of the series, making it the fifth version of the show.

These live-action adaptations of artist Yoko Kamio's manga Hana Yori Dango make it one of the hottest properties in Asia. The manga and it's adaptations tell of a poor girl who enrols in an elite school. Four rich handsome guys, who call themselves F4, bully the students in school but she stands up to them. The leader of the quartet eventually falls in love with her.

Despite the multiple retellings in different languages, the series is still popular, especially with female fans.

The reason for the enduring fascination: the winning fomula of a fantasy-like story plot combined with droolworthy casts from different countries. The Taiwanese version, for example, spawned the boyband F4, which became an Asian hit phenomenon.

Student Crystal Chua, who has watched all the 3 versions, says:" Watching it makes me feel as if such dramatic whirlwind romances can happen to normal people like me too." The 17-year old adds: "Plus, the four characters are very cool and handsome, especially in the Korean version. Just watching them on TV makes me feel very happy."

Communications officer Jennifer Law, 23, has also seen all three adaptations and agrees:"The cool storyline of ridiculously rich bad boys who are in fact kind-hearted, coupled with a few love triangles, is enough to hook me."

Student Jasmine Lee, 19, adds: "I have watched the Taiwan and Korean versions three times each and i wouldn't mind watching them again because seeing four smoking hot men on TV at the end of a stressful day in school simply gives me sweet dreams at night.

METEOR GARDEN (Taiwan)

Year: 2001, 19episodes: 2002, 31 episodes

Starring: Jerry Yen, Vic Chou, Vanness Wu, Ken Chu & Barbie Hsu

Romantic exchanges: Shancai(Hsu) makes biscuits in the shape of Daoming Si's(Yen) face for his birthday. He surprises her with a diamond necklace during a late-night date on his balcony.

Theme songs: Qing Fei De Yi (Can't Help Loving You) by Harlem Yu and Ni Yao De Ai(The Love You Want) by Penny Dai

Grand entrance: Si speeds to school in his convertible and climbs out of it looking all sullen and pretty

Local colour: Shancai's mother is a typical auntie whose idea of dressing her daughter up for a posh party is to drape her in a shiny getai-worthy outfit.

Trivia tidbit: The cast took off to Barcelona for the sequel, Meteor Garden 2, which starred Singapore's Michelle Saram. Her gurgling character became a target of fans' wrath for briefly coming between Si and Shancai.

Rating: 8/10. The fantasy factor in the idol drama is cranked up with the droolsome casting of four tall and handsome hunks. The four actors were virtual unknowns at the time and their acting was raw but female fans were swept off their feet nonetheless.

HANA YORI DANGO (Japan)

Year: 2005,9 episodes; 2007, 11episodes; 2008, the big screen finale

Starring: Jun Matsumoto, Shun Oguri, Shota Matsuda, Tsuyoshi Abe and Mao Inoue

Romantic exchanges: Makino(Inoue) bakes cookies shaped like Doumyouji's(Matsumoto's) face to remind him of their love after he loses his memory, but another girl takes credit for them. Before Doumyouji leaves Japan for America, he gives Makino a personalised necklace.

Grand entrance: Doumyouji and his clique are greeted by cheering schoolmates like movie stars, as a manga-style montage shows how rich and powerful each of the guys is.

Local flavour: Tsukushi has to prove herself a paragon of feminine virtue and win a teen beauty contest, so that Doumyouji's scary mother will stop trying to separate the lovers.

Theme song: Wish by Arashi

Trivia tidbit: The Japanese version moves at the fastest pace. It's first season ended in nine episodes, compared to Taiwan's 19 episodes and Korea's 26episodes(Correct: should be 25 episodes).

Rating: 7/10. The brisk pace means that this version is engaging but there are also fewer love scenes. Given the phenomenon of the F4 boys, whose heights were a crucial factor in their success, the Japanese cast falls, er, short of expectations.

BOYS OVER FLOWERS(Korea)

Year: 2009, 26episodes (Correction: should be 25episodes)

Starring: Lee Min Ho, Kim Hyun Joong, Kim Bum, Kim Joon and Gu Hye Seon

Romantic exchanges: Jan Di(Gu) makes chocolates in the shape of Jun Pyo's(Lee) face as a Valentine's Day present but cannot give them to him as their date is interrupted by his mother. He gives her a necklace but she loses it and risks her life trying to retrieve it during a snowstorm.

Grand entrance: Jun Pyo goes to school by helicopter, with the wind ruffling his permed hair

Local flavour: He gets a taste of an ordinary Korean's life at Jan Di's home, where he makes kimchi with her family and goes to a public bathhouse with her father and brother.

Theme songs: Paradise by T-Max and Because I'm Stupid by SS501

Trivia tidbit: Talk of a curse started when the five leads were involved in road accidents this year. Online gossip intensified after an actress in the show, Jang Ja Yeon, was found dead at home in an apparent suicide on March 7.

Rating: 8.5/10. The Korean serial has all the element of pretty boys, high production values and a good script.

Thank you sheherizade3 for caps and summary! I was looking forward to reading it...and as the days passed I thought you decided to abandon it! Thank goodness you didn't! BOF thread just isn't complete without your recaps and summaries of each of the episodes! Regarding the kissing scene, I know that it took GHS and LMH seven kisses until they got it perfectly right for the PD...wonder if the other kisses involved lips movement? LOL, I noticed in one pic GHS was kissing the top of LMH's lip and then another pics she was kissing him on the bottom lip! It's hard to kiss without any lips movement, wish mr. PD just let the actors kiss any way they want! it'll make it so much more enjoyable for us^_^

You're welcome dramalovers26. Now that you mentioned it took 7 kisses, I almost laughed out loud. It probably took a lot of effort for LMH and GHS to do the lamest kiss ever. It's really hard to kiss without any lip movement and I can see how the two were straining to maintain the no lip movement position. I wonder if Koreans have sex education in school.

I watch all the episodes and it seems that the story quite close to japan version ...so my predict is there will a marriage and pregnancy ..just like finale in hana yori dango japan version.

May be they some imagination will be added :D

what the actually the final HANA YORI DANGO mangga..? i never read that.

Thanks to everyone for the previews and the translations!! Thanks to blue_angel_1004 for the spoilers! I'm glad that there will be a so called happy ending for the Soeul couple. I wish there was a spoiler on how JH ended. So, is the filming done already? I'm so confused with the timeline of when they finish. I thought it was said that the actors would recieve their ending script on Monday and they have to film that right away. Is it Monday already in Korea or did I get the timeline wrong?

Thanks nicrye for all those pics....they are soo nice! Thanks to yon for posting that because it summarizes all three versions of HYD very well.

In regards to why JD is still caring for JH, I think that is a good thing because JH has always been there for JD and JD doesn't want to lose this friend. I'm glad that there is no ackward moment between them even after she knew because I think it would be sad that they can't still be friends after that. If she had an argument with JP, it is easier to talk to JH about it because JH knows what JP is thinking after so many years of friendship. JH wouldn't want to lose the friendship with JD because he still wants to help her through all her hardships. At the same time, I really love the relationship that JP and JH have with each other. Even though JP suspects/knows that JH likes JD, he still wouldn't forfeit his friendship with him. He still cares for him the same way and makes sure that he doesn't do anything to hurt JH in any way. Even when he was going to confess that he can't let JD go, he wanted JH to punch him first. That shows how much he cherishes this friendship. JH wouldn't openly chase after JD because he knows that JP likes JD, so he wouldn't do anything to hurt him either. That is the type of friendship that I like to see, not letting one girl ruin the 15+ years of friendship they have. As what F4fan said, there is a bond between them that is really hard to break or even explain. JD will always care about JH as much as she cares about JP, but in a different way. JP will always go to JH for help in regards to JD and will feel comfort knowing that JH is with her when JP can't be there for her. JH will always be the one to try and put JP and JD together even though it will hurt him.

Anyways, it's really sad to know that BOF is ending, but if it doesn't end, then it will begin to drag and that is a bad thing. Plus, we still need to see the actors healthy again and not turn into toothpicks. So, it is sad, but it is for the best. I still haven't watched the previews because I don't want to even think about it yet.

Guest del32

http://joynews.inews24.com/php/news_view.p...g_serial=403764

EDIT #1: BOF Filming Sighting (Spoiler):

This is a post by someone who played an extra at yesterday's graduation party shooting. They filmed at a hotel. F4, Yumi, and JD were there. At the party, JD was wearing her school uniform, and she danced w/ WB, YJ, and then JH, in that order. Then, in the swimming pool scene, JD was wearing a pink dress and had her hair curled. (I think she was trying to imitate her look during the ep 2-3 party where JP fell into the pool). After JP saved JD, he kept screaming at her to wake up. And then he held her tightly for about 20 seconds, but since the director wouldn't give a cut signal, he had to continue to hug her.

Sorry for cutting your post short! The PD must be a JoonDi shipper too, like us, if its not a hardcore one :lol::lol: You're SO awesome, blue_angel, cant wait to read more news from you! *sighs happily*

Guest Banana Peel

Thanks to blue_angel_1004 for the spoilers :)

I seriously cannot believe that BOF is over in 2 episodes!

I'm happy because everything's going to be happy in the end (at least we're hoping so)

but extremely sad because I won't be able to discuss and read the fun spoilers and comments

in this forum anymore! :(

Anyways, the next two episodes look really fulfilling.

The new character, Umi, does indeed look annoying.

REAL annoying. I wonder HOW she even got to JP.

What did she even DO to get him to talk to her friendlily

when he doesn't even give a care for JD when he got his memory back ?

>_>; I'm guessing it's the lunch box thing? when she fakes that it was from her?

Argh. I wonder how old this actress is. Her voice is super young sounding.

I'm really anticipating on how JH's going to end up. We all know that he's not going to be with JD. Then what is he going to do? He's obviously not the type that would go get another girl just instantly. And in the preview, he tells JD 'if it's not you, I'm nothing' or something like that-- aw poor JH. :(

Lastly, and weirdly, Idk why, but in the preview, when JP came out of hospital to see JD with his beanie on,

I realized how much I missed him being 'mean' and stubborn x] He was so generous these days that I had forgotten what kind of a guy he was before! Hahah. Oh, and I hope this drama ends really clean-cutish. Nothing leaving people thinking 'wait, what's gonna happen next?!' -_- I hate those.

i didn't really intent to watch BOF until all the epis were aired..i was more into Star's Lovers and one day i decided to just watch one epi..and i was hooked right away and not end up finishing Star's lovers because BOF had kept me glued..despite of the frustrations, i loved this drama..my sleepless nights are worth wait..i come everyday for new spoilers because the writer gives me surprises and they are not even the good ones..im going to be happy,but sad at the same time..and honestly im scared that tuesday would be over soon..i haven't wished for a drama to be longer, i usually hope it would end quickly..but with BOF,i grew to become selfish and wanted more..i just grew to love JD and the F4..i feel like seeing another dimension of life besides the real world..

Guest klassikm3

AAHHGAAH i am soooo mad that he had to lose his memory. and reading all of this stuff about wats going to happen or wat actually happened in the manga is really making me sooo excited. omg i just got done watching the preview for the last episodes and it really doesn't seem like the last episodes. oh gosh.....i wanna watch it soooo bad! i was gonna wait for the dvd box set to come out for sale to watch it but my friends were saying that it was sooo good. so...i just couldn't take it. I watched it. spent the night at my friends house JUST to watch it (uh i don't have internet access at home :sweatingbullets: ) and stayed up all night trying to catch up to my friend (that was back on the 19th episode). she fell asleep first, and i didn't go to sleep till 3 in the morning but got back up two hrs later. and now....it has come to this....the last two episodes...i have no life...

Guest effie

tml will be ep 25.im so excited to watch it and i feel a little upset .

because it will end after 31th of march . everything will close.

i still want to extend it .but i know it wont happen .

i really like this version compare with japan and taiwan.

for me , i watched all the three version.

but i dont know why i was addicted to korean version.

the reason is korean version is so matched with manga(comic books).

looks , personality, tall , and so on.everything are so real .

F4 come from manga !!!!

they are so real to appear in my life.

after 31th of march , i will have nothing to watch.

i cant image the next 2 monday 9 pm what things i can watch ?!!

i will memory it !!!

my forever F4!!!

Guest hyukiemylove

Cr: hoonfamily . That yumi i think is a pain in my richard simmons again , she act like a innocent girl. i couldn't stand it.

LOL yoomi is really annoying, her voice is really irritating especially when she keeps saying oopa or onni -_-

and omg @ the spoiler! yi jung leaves for sweden.. hmm i wonder by the 4 year time gap, when he comes back he'll hopefully find gaeul and they'll have a happy ending =)

I cant wait for the next 2 episodes! hehe

okay, so I have to admit, part of the reason I dont like yoomi is well because she is umi and one of her main motivations is to separate the jandi and junpyo. BOOOOOO. on top of that, her voice just sounds so artificial. she looks like those highschool girls that are super fake and get everything that they want. ugh. I really can't stand her.

EPISODE 25 LONG PREVIEW ENGLISH TRANSLATION:

JP: That girl... JanDi or JapCho or whatever... Her expression... won't erase from my mind...

JAPCHO! i mean, its one thing to think of calling jandi japcho once, but too call her that after he loses his memory. :DD

also. whats the significance of eggrolls exactly? I don't really quite remember where it was featured in the drama

Guest tirahbunny

I'm on episode 11 and right about now i can say that Jan Di totally does not deserve Jun Pyo. She kind of does things without thinking of consequences or without questioning, also she is too trusting so she always gets into messes.

i have a lot of things to do this sunday and monday... so unfortunately i won't be able to watch episodes 24 and 25 live.

:(

however, i will have time to check this thread, and if i read that jandi will end with jihoo, i won't watch the rest, and i will remain pissed off for a really really long time.

... ok ok.. maybe i will watch it regardless (just to see lee min ho), but i'll still be upset.

i'm 20 years old, and i've seen a lot of dramas in my life... this is the first time i've been so worked up/obsessed with a tv show.

Just finished episode 23 (MySoju doesn't have #24 out yet) seems like another repeat cycle that we've been seeing throughout this entire series. Unlike before though now we know why she doesn't ask for GJP's help with his mom - but what i don't understand is GJP can obviously guess it has something to do with his mom so why wouldn't he investigate himself? He keeps talking about how he's going to protect her but while his mom has photos and photos of him and JanDi, he has NO intel on what his mom is doing.

I liked the part where Jihoo's grandfather was dressing down GJP's mom though, that was classic. And everyone knows that JanDi's family had to leave, so wouldn't the first place they'd look is where her family went? I thought the assistant to GJP's mom would look out for GJP but they left him to go get in trouble...something the press should have a field day with (if this were real life).

Guest arissa525

oh my God.. i cant' imagine my life without this drama.. this is my first post here after following these dramas so close each week..can't understand why they had to finish the drama next week.. so rushing.. why don't they extend it.. at least for 2 or 3 more episodes..

thanks to blue_angle_1004 for the written spoilers.. i'm smiling a lot eventhough it just a written spoiler... nice to read flowerpots recaps too.. can't wait ur recaps for the last episode..

so that's mean after Korean version, we will see another version of China and Phillipine too?? waa.. can't imagine this manga has turned into drama remaking in so many versions.. but for me, i think the Korean version is the BEST which that means the good looking of F4, nice acting from the actors plus beautiful scenery and nice OST too..

hope next week this drama will end with all flying colors.. please JOONDI happy ending.. please.. please..

p/s: will miss LMH staring look...arghh.. my heart is melting with that look.. ;)

oh damn. Just saw the previews and so far not one single shirtless JP scene. Sucks.

And that can't be right about China and the Philippines doing their own versions of HYD? I thought there was a 2-year contract in place so that another version won't be released for another two years.

Here's a bit of trivia or just proof of what you can pick up when you watch an episode over and over:

After the zoo date as JP and JD are walking home with Chan, they pass anther couple and the woman looks at them and says they are very pretty (meaning that they make a beautiful couple or family).

Second, I don't think that Gu Hye Sun knows how to use chopsticks properly. Yes, there is a correct way to use them. Anyway, everytime I saw her with chopstcks there was always something about the way she holds them that just seemed weird. So I rewatched 22 and 23 and you can see that her fingers are not placed properly.

Maybe JP will rip his shirt off before jumping in the pool to save JD

can someone translate this section...i saw it in kim bum's blog and the only thing i understand is something about F4.

今日は華城セット場で『花より男子』の最後の撮影がある日でした。

今までここでF4のメンバーと楽しく撮影し、思い出もたくさんできたので、とうとう撮影最後の日だと思うとボムもどこか寂しそうに見えます。

いつもに増して撮影に挑む姿が真剣で、時間が過ぎるのを惜しむように撮影現場のあちらこちらへ動きまわるボムの姿を見ているうちに、胸がキュンと締め付けられる思いでした。

他のドラマでは出演者の年齢が様々なので、みんなで一緒に行動する機会はそこまで多くないのですが、『花より男子』の主演者たちはみんな年も近いせいか、とても仲良くなっていました。特にボムは情が厚くて、普段から人間関係を重視しているので、この現場は特に居心地が良さそうです。

撮影が終わった後で、ボムは「兄貴と僕はずっと一緒に頑張っていこう。」と言ってくれ、私も「当たり前だろ。ボムは俺が守るよ。」と約束をしました。

残り少ない撮影も一生懸命頑張り、ケガや事故の内容に無事に終えたいと思います。

マネージャー

I tried my hand at this and hope it's useful......

Today is the last day of BOF filming at Hwaseong set location.

Up until today, F4 members have been filming here happily, making many memories so as the last day of filming finally approaches, Bum is somewhat feeling the loneliness too.

He has been taking the filming challenge very seriously, cherishing every moment as it passes, watching Bum move around here and there at the filming location, i could feel something tightening up in my heart/chest.

The age of actors in other dramas vary a lot and until now, there's not much opportunity for actors to do things together but BOF actors are all very close in age and became very good friends with each other. Especially Bum who's more emotional and values relationships, he feels particularly good to be here.

At the end of filming, Bum told me, 'Brother, you and I are going to keep working hard together'. I promised, 'Of course, I will protect you(Bum) always'.

Working hard on the remaining few scenes, I hope filming will be completed without any injury nor accidents.

From Bum's Manager.

Guest tofumui

EPISODE 25 LONG PREVIEW ENGLISH TRANSLATION:

thanks for the translation.. i can't believe this new girl, Yumi.. i think she's going to annoy the richard simmons out of me.. and she is totally going to try to make JunPyo forget about JanDi but it won't happen cuz JanDi is the one he loves and he cannot forget about her..

OMG! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, is JP holding YUMI's hands in the ep 25 extended preview when JD comes into JP's room?!!!

no i dont' think they were holding hands.. i think that was just his hand over his lap.. and the girl has her head on his shoulders cuz they're both napping