[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest akirchu

This is actually my first post. I'll start by applauding the cast, crew and staff of this drama for putting in soooo much effort. What I like about the korean version is that they've captured beautiful sceneries, incorporated the perfect songs to each scenes, picked the right cast with undoubtedly superb acting skills.

While BOF managed to get it right in terms with location, OST, casts, I can't help but get depressed with their story line and characterization. At times it was too fast and then too dragging. Yes I understand and respect their need to put a korean flavor or feel to the drama but towards the end the significance of it was---- lost. Like putting Ji Hoo's grandfather, at first I was super okay with this because we get to know more about Ji Hoo's life, past and all that. I was hoping that his grandfather would be a significant character in the end, most particularly in the life of Jan Di, but I don't know I just can't seem to see this. Yes he was responsible for finding her dream and he did helped her but that was that. No impact at all. I can't even see the DESIRE and DETERMINATION of Jan Di to become a doctor.

I like how they give depth and emphasis to some of the lives of certain characters, but the mistake they did with this is that it was too much that they failed to balance it with the love story of Jan Di and Jun Pyo. The main focus of the story is about the love and struggle of these two characters who just desperately want to be together. Yes I agree that they could've shorten and not prolong the fiancee arc. Jae Kyung was not really the biggest hindrance to JD and JP's love, it's JP's mother. What about Woo Bin???? They elaborated the life of Ji Hoo and Yi Jung, how about Woo Bin?? If this was the case they should've just made it F3 or focused a little on JH and YJ. Another thing is that the love triangle (JP-JD-JH) gets exhausting at the latter parts.I get it that they're having this "soulmate-husband" thing going on but if they're going to do that they should've made it more exciting. Love triangles are exciting! But in this drama it was like watching a love triangle story, you know there's love triangle but you can't seem to see it. JH is always at JD's side but that's it. I can't seem to see him fight for his feelings. And yes JP made it clear to him that he can't give JD but that's it. He's too confused and he doesn't even fight for his feelings. I don't know.

I am also disappointed with their characterization. I'll start it with:

JP- In this version I didn't see JP as a bad almost demonic person. Tsukasa is like that, right??? But I can't see it here. He was harsh, yes, but not evil. They failed to show the transition of him being bad to good. The change in his character should be because of JD but it was not emphasized. One of the reasons I really fell in love with Tsukasa is because he was this very bad evil person but when Makino came to his life he changed. When Makino was gone he went back to his old ways. I like it that he only becomes human when Makino is there, the reason of him being human is Makino. I was a bit disappointed they didn't focused on this.

JD- She's supposed to be really tough, right? I can see this on the first episodes, after that I always see her cry. Makino does have a soft spot and tends to be fragile but JD is too much of it. The highlight of her character should be the "tough weed" act and soo little only to her feminine side. But I do like JD in a way that she was decisive and true to her feelings.

JH- What can I say??? Nothing. Above all their characterization, I was most satisfied with what they did with JH. They just elaborated his story that at times it gets insignificant.

YJ- I also have nothing to say. I am satisfied.

WB- I love his character, the peace maker. Hehehe. It's too bad that among the F4, we don't get to know him more.

JP's sister- I liked her sister compared to the other versions. She's supportive and very strong. No complains.

JP's mom- I find her more evil compared to the other versions. I love how evil she is! There's really nothing to say.

JK- Inconsistent. Sometimes she's toooo annoying! She's supposed to be this mixture of annoying and cool. I was shocked when she acted so calm and cool during the wedding scene when she announced that she's not going to marry JP. I was like "Wow!!! Where did that coolness come from??What about her immature side?" It was like for a moment right there she became a totally different person, which was weird.

Phew!!! I hope they won't make the ending a mess. I'm disappointed, nevertheless I still love BOF. I guess I just have to accept it for whatever it is. Hahahaha. I guess you can say that this version is a "love it or hate it" :D

Guest flower pot

haha flower pot you always crack me up when i'm reading your reviews.. that would be taking it waaay to far for kdrama.. lol

Well, one can dream can't we? hahaha!

And to all of those who are SHOCKED and commented about how others can ask for skinship in this series... DON'T GET YOUR KNICKERS IN A TWIST... RELAX... Obviously, comments here about wanting to see more action between Junpyo and Jandi are pretty normal... Of course, my post in the recaps are obviously an exaggeration because c'mon... LOGIC people! Who would show actual bed scenes on ASIAN TELEVISION?

But my point is, would it hurt to show Jandi and Junpyo as having a passionate and LOVING relationship which is but normal especially if they love each other that much? (Goong had that torrid FIVE minute kissing scene between Chae Gyung and Prince Shin at the last episode... They Kiss Again had that passionate kissing scene in the rain... and Fated To Love You even had a bed scene when the characters barely knew each other... )

Yes, they might be older than the characters in this show and in Goong they might have been married but my point is, they are already in their 20's (for Junpyo) and around 19 for Jandi... WOULD IT HURT IF THEY KISS WITH PASSION? It's not as if they are 14 or 15, people! Hello? Even Jenny from the KOREAN MOVIE Jenny and Juno got pregnant at that age!(15)

Aside from that, one of Doumyouji's characteristic in the manga is how much of a horndog he is... Of course knowing how Makino is, he almost always gets turned down but he sure as hell is cute when he's trying... :) However, if a cartoon shows much more PASSIONATE scenes than an actual series... i feel that the outrage of some people about wanting more skinship between the couple is justified... THEY DON'T EVEN HOLD HANDS FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Boys Over Flowers - Episode 24 Preview

by KP

Update: For those of you who have been asking about the possibility of another extension - no, they will not go past episode 25 on March 31. For the many who want to know if Yi Jeong and Ga Eul will be a couple by the end - we don’t know either. We will update if we hear anything.

Also, for those of you curious waiting for episode 25’s script to be leaked - the cast was given their copies of the final script on March 24. HOWEVER, the script did not include the ending. The creators have decided that nobody will know what happens at the end until the day they film the finale. On that day, each cast member will receive a copy of the ending to memorize immediately. It has been confirmed that Boys Over Flowers will end happily, but it may differ from Hana Yori Dango’s ending.

Episode 24 spoilers are beyond the jump. Episode 24 Preview, translated from KBS:

‘How did you know I was here?’

‘I could hear you. I kept a night watch in case I’d miss it. Every night.’

Upon finding out Jan Di’s whereabouts by chance, Ji Hu expects to go visit her with Jun Pyo. However, Jun Pyo who hasn’t been able to do anything [since Jan Di left him] once again lets Ji Hu down by declining to go.

The false expectation that greets Jan Di upon her arrival in the fishing village is that she is the fiancee of [shinhwa's] heir. Jan Di is in a dilemma when it is eventually revealed that the news is false; however, Ji Hu suddenly turns up to settle the situation down. Finally, Ji Hu gets the courage to confess the feelings that he had been suppressing to Jan Di. Jun Pyo, who has shown up late, watches this scene with a despondent expression… but suddenly–!'

Episode 24 Spoilers:

* Unconfirmed: The scary-looking man who bought fish from Jan Di’s mom in episode 23 is presumably the one who will hurt Jun Pyo and cause him to lose his memory of Jan Di. The man is someone whose life was ruined due to Shin-hwa. He actually tries to attack Ji Hu (since the villagers mistakenly believe that he is Jun Pyo), but Jun Pyo rushes forward and gets hurt instead of his friend.

* It was originally said that Jan Di is not there when Jun Pyo gets hurt. However, this is not quite clear. Our source does say that the attack happens after Ji Hu sends Jan Di home, and he leaves through a dark alley. However, it is not clearly stated that Jan Di is not present - after all, she might not have actually gone home.

* At the hospital where Jun Pyo lies hurt, Jun Hee yells at her mother: “Are you satisfied now!? Do you even know what your son likes eating, what he likes doing?”

* Jan Di and Chairwoman Kang have a conversation. Jan Di tells her that Jun Pyo likes omelettes, ramen, fishcakes, going on picnics, and stargazing.

* Chairwoman Kang tears up in front of a fishcakes [food] stall.

* At the empty clinic, Ji Hu is deep in thought while holding a ring. He starts to cry. However, when his grandfather enters, he puts his arms around his waist and begins to sob.

* Jung Yu Mi makes her entrance as someone who causes problems for Jan Di by acting like she (Yu Mi) was Jun Pyo’s girlfriend.

Credits:kpculture

p/s:im not sure whether this has been posted up yet because the pages are increasing tremendously by the minute.So,just in case it hasn't been posted up...here there are...

I'm really really suffering here right now...

2 Episodes left but everything seems to be still soooo complicated...

Whats wrong with the writer anyway...

<_<

Guest Cheesey

THEY DON'T EVEN HOLD HANDS FOR PETE'S SAKE!

sorry to cut your post flower pot

while those of us who live in countries where we are exposed to a media where really anything goes (provided that it's shown at an appropriate time), may think that it woulnd't hurt to show the characters be a little more affectionate way and show more passionate kisses, because then it would be more real, we have to remember that there are other countries out there where PDAs (or public displays of affection) are not as readily accepted.

That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with a couple, who claims to be in SO love with each other that nothing will get in their way of being together, to hug as if they really want to be hugged (ie episode 22 (?) where JP runs to the boat to find JD - he hugs her, really hugs her, but she looks as if she's merely standing there), or hold hands while walking down a path at the zoo is going to cause a national uproar.

It's the little things that I'm finding irritating about how the JP-JD relationship is portrayed - I don't even need them exchanging saliva every five minutes because frankly it can be a little off-putting and from the constant barrage you sometimes get in 'western' dramas, it makes a nice change, but an affectionate hug, or holding someone close, or a touch on the cheek...is that really too much to ask for?

I guess you can sort of compare this to Regency England where a man touching a woman or woman touching a man unless they were related or married was a big no no (in a romantic way I mean) - it made the times where they were allowed to touch all that much more exciting!

Guest bluescent10

cheerybell: Thanks for the spoiler..hmmm..The appearance of Ju Hee in the hospital where Joon Pyo lies hurt never appeared in the Japanese and Taiwanese version..yeah..can't wait for Jung Yu Mi to appear..and also i hope mama kang will realize her mistakes...about Joon Pyo..

Guest janine1986

About the spoiler of 5 years next, it's awful. Why 5 years! I want them to have happy end in right away!

I love the preview of flowerpot. It's lovable and more suitable for the drama!

hahaha a lot of people are worked up over the kisses..hahaha luckily for me i loved them all..yeah they r just lip touching..but because ive been watching thai dramas for the past few months and haven't watch kdramas in a while, i feel satisfied with the scenes..just imagine watching a good thai drama with just a hug scene, fake angle kisses--you will think BOF have too much PDA..anyways we all know the reason why the PD can't god beyond the lip action..i think he has done this with My Girl because the actual taping of the kisses were more passionate and longer..sooooo hopefully with the enough torture, the PD would give us a passionate kiss in the ending..i mean just look at HYD--i didn't see any passionate kisses..and i don't count the movie because it was not shown on tv..

QUESTION:

Does anybody know the song that plays at 7:23 (The sunrise Ga Eul & YiJung)? It's not on either of the soundtracks and I really want it T_T

It's a new song and hasn't been released yet..it may be released together with the F4 special edition later..

hahaha a lot of people are worked up over the kisses..hahaha luckily for me i loved them all..yeah they r just lip touching..but because ive been watching thai dramas for the past few months and haven't watch kdramas in a while, i feel satisfied with the scenes..just imagine watching a good thai drama with just a hug scene, fake angle kisses--you will think BOF have too much PDA..anyways we all know the reason why the PD can't god beyond the lip action..i think he has done this with My Girl because the actual taping of the kisses were more passionate and longer..sooooo hopefully with the enough torture, the PD would give us a passionate kiss in the ending..i mean just look at HYD--i didn't see any passionate kisses..and i don't count the movie because it was not shown on tv..

yea..alot of ppl are rather worked up over the lip-touching kisses..but i think they are really sweet...at least the kisses are REAL instead of just fake angles...haha..who knows...we may get a real passionate kiss in ep25...

I'm wishing really hard that the time jump will be showing Jun Pyo-Jandi already married and honeymooning...

Guest min_orange

can someone out there help me ~

at the first part of the ep 23 .. which ga eul bring yi jung to the building ...

the song which started at ard 7.33 .. may i know who sung this ... and where can i get the song..

i cant find in any of their sound track...

someone willing to help .... thanks

edit~ thanks .. i got the infor above...

Guest ml_87

is it me the one think that Korean fans are more and more severe to the Korean films? i dun think that a kiss is somewhat not "innocent' . it's a symbol of love. sometimes i think u need to kiss yr bf more deeply than usual to show that u really love him! :D but, to me, overall, BOF's kisses are quite ok. compared to my other favorite dramas like my girl or full house, i'm not thirsty of kisses when watching BOF. ha ha. just a deep kiss at the end can make me happy all the day. ha ha :

btw, flower_pot: yeah, they didnt hold hand but i notice that on the beach JP put his hand on JD's shoulder while waliking :D

lulupark: he he, so he may become the son of JP-JD :D

Guest lulupark

somethings new of filming scene from baidu's translation of Korean website:

Someone saw Gaeul be a teacher in kindergarden, guess who she was teaching? Witness saw the kid actor of being JP's childhood appears in the kindergarden :o

Guest Bontaku

American movies and television are NOT shown on regular Korean television. They are shown on CABLE, which, like the American counterpart, must be subscribed to. KBS, MBC, SBS stations are just like NBC, CBS and ABC networks in the U.S., which also have looser standards but are also monitored. BOF is shown on KBS, not cable.

I think my post went a little off tangent. I admit i don't know how or what can/cannot be shown on various countries tv but my bottomline is don't kiss as if she/he is a corpse but at least some sort of emotion (at this point i really don't care anymore)! If you want to show or portray something on screen, do it properly. It's not a high school theater! Don't get me wrong, I am not mad, just don't understand the filming styles.

Makes me wonder if they can hug properly.... *cracking my head for an example* :huh:

ml_87: I hope to see some sort of love going on... maybe JooDi needs to wear a signboard on them that says I LOVE YOU just so everyone gets the gist of the drama! :P

So what kind of VISIBLE affection from the two leads are you looking for? What I was addressing was the previous poster who had said that she/he wanted to see something come out of a "sexually charged" scene between these two and I wanted to let them know that what they may see in "Gossip Girl" also about teenagers, are not going to be aired IN KOREA. …

===========

Soonjap, I believe you were addressing my post. If you read my post again, u will find that I was criticizing the PD for butchering the scene. I did not say there should be more action nor did I reference Gossip Girl or any other US tv shows. U also assume wrongly that censorship standards with regards to sexually charged scenes in Singapore are the same as Korea.

My beef is with the direction of most of the romantic scenes for the main couple (except for the swing kiss & ep23). GHS herself said the PD did not tell the actors how to do the highway kiss. They had to do it and then have it toned down in the editing room *rolls eyes*

u also acknowledged that KBS has the tendency to imply sexual intimacy and that’s my point abt that: dim lighting, half-clothed. It’s confusing and builds expectation for something. On tv, it was so obvious when they kissed the actors were trying not to move, it’s comical. I’d rather they were fully clothed and cuddling. At least u know straight on it’s a “chaste scene”.

On kisses:

For fair comparison, Flowerpot has echoed my thoughts perfectly with her example of Goong. Did they get into trouble? I think there was *gasps* tongue!!! :D I think asking the actors to not move their mouths is extreme. There are also ways to do screen kisses without tongue. Moving a little lip can actually bring in elements of tenderness, not just sexual innuendo.

Speaking of which, i think what’s missing from all the Jundi couple scenes are tender moments like cuddling and hand-holding.

Like in Goong, I found the part where chae gyeung & shin cuddled sleeping together (no sex! no kiss!) more romantic and moving than the big kiss.

Guest zaizai_f4_only

Hi guys.. just want to know about something and hopefully

this hasnt been mention before? :X

*hopefully :D

i kinda think that JUNDI will have a wedding scene...

why would i think that?

because of this picture :

jundiwed.png

yesh that is from the beginning of ep22...so u guys might think that, the girl in the middle is JK..

(since JP JK wedding scene is in ep22)

but definitely that's not JK but it's JD ^^

so just hoping, that picture will mean something at the end ^^

Hi guys.. just want to know about something and hopefully

this hasnt been mention before? :X

*hopefully :D

i kinda think that JUNDI will have a wedding scene...

why would i think that?

because of this picture :

%7Boption%7Dhttp://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8427/jundiwed.png

yesh that is from the beginning of ep22...so u guys might think that, the girl in the middle is JK..

(since JP JK wedding scene is in ep22)

but definitely that's not JK but it's JD ^^

so just hoping, that picture will mean something at the end ^^

yeah i saw this before watching the episode..my positive mind says this is a hint..buttttttti like not to think about it too much so i won't get too disappointed..but hey at least we saw picture cartoon of JD in a wedding dress next to JP with a black tux..and the distance between JP and JD's cartoons are closer so im assuming they are the wedding couple hahaha..

previews (videos) is not up yet, right?

honestly, i have no expectation for the ending anymore

or how the plot will progress

just want the drama to end.. :P

~why is the same kpculture spoiler posted here over and over again..

would be so bad if this thread got closed again for spamming

which i see a lot this couple of days..

try checking the previous pages, guys!

but if you prefer the thread closed before the last week

be my guest -_-

Guest Kirika

m wishing really hard that the time jump will be showing Jun Pyo-Jandi already married and honeymooning...

I think it might possible since we've seen a picture of JoonDi on the beach, hand in hand, Jan Di having the star necklace around the neck and Jun Pyo having the wobbles.

We still haven't seen this scene, so it might be their honeymoon, right ?

Ok, I admit I'm really trying hard in hoping for a married happy JunDi couple. :mellow:

Guest honeypia

Would like to share my second MV about our MinSun Couple :) Really love their chemistry. Hope you'd enjoy watching this: