[Drama 2009 Movie 2010] IRIS 아이리스

rubie

December 12, 2011

English book on Korean TV dramas published

Source: jhdo@koreatimes.co.kr via hancinema.net

photo211663.jpg

A new book on the development of Korean TV dramas has been published in English, the Korean Culture and Information Service (KOCIS) said Monday.

“K-DRAMA: A New TV Genre with Global Appeal” is a comprehensive guide to the past and present of Korean television dramas, which have been gaining popularity outside Korea as well, particularly since 2000.

The 114-page book covers a wide range of topics related to the genre.

The first two chapters talk about the global appeal of Korean television dramas and the foreign media’s response to them.

Chapter three touches on the history of Korean TV dramas, starting with the 1960s through the 2000s, when the so-called “K-drama” phenomenon started to emerge as part of the growing “hallyu” movement in Asia.

Chapter four recounts the famous dramas that first triggered the K-drama syndrome in Asia, such as “Star in My Heart” or “What is love” in the 1990s.

The book concludes with profiles of major K-drama stars, like Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo, co-stars of the 20-part KBS series “Winter Sonata,” which ignited a Korean TV drama craze in Japan.

The book is the third in a series of English-language publications by KOCIS to introduce popular Korean culture to foreign countries.

Its previous series have included “K-culture: the Korean Wave” and “K-pop,” published in September and November, respectively.”

Founded in 1971, the KOCIS is an affiliate of the culture ministry with 24 overseas offices.

The KOCIS will distribute its latest publication to its overseas offices and 172 Korean diplomatic missions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a cool clip fully credited to Seogang College, Department of Advertising Design that documented the step-by-step creation of LBH's Kim Hyun Jun IRIS artwork

Watch the clip streaming HERE

seogangcollage.jpg

yukifamilysara-img1.jpg

^ Photo from auction.jp, thanks to yukifamilysara

December 31, 2011

IRIS Museum 2 in Tazawa

Source: sakigake.jp

iris_akita1.jpg

An interior set from the 2009 Korean drama IRIS has been converted into a museum at a ski cabin 'Ginrei House' near Lake Tazawa which is a popular location spot for the drama. The scene that showed Kim Hyun Jun (Lee Byung Hun) rescued & captivated the North Korean agent, Kim Sun Hwa (played by Kim So Yeon) had been reproduced in the corner of the ski cabin. Along with the accompanying props for the scene, other items used by actor Lee Byung Hun such as ski wear, snowboard, goggles will also be displayed.

Opening hours are 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. Free of charge.

iris_akita2.jpg

iris_hjksh.jpg

Related article

'IRIS Museum' Tazawa JR station opened

Source: yomiuri.co.jp

The "IRIS Museum" set up in the Akita Prefecture will be displaying the items and images of scenes filmed from the Korean drama 'IRIS' at the JR Tazawako station building in Semboku on the 22nd.

The generalization producer of a production company and Mr. Chong Taewon indicated a posture highly motivated "would like to do a location in Akita" about the "IRIS 2" which is attending a ceremony and the prefecture is demanding.

Mr. Kim Yoncheol who appeared also attends a ceremony.

Mr. Chong Taewon in a greeting. "Akita and IRIS are inseparable relations.

He heard that tourists decreased in number after the earthquake disaster.

It was said that it was expected that "IRIS 2" will be crowded with a cause by many tourists."

Furthermore, after prefacing it as "one proposal", "IRIS 2" has a concept which begins from the scene where Mr. Lee Byung-Hun is the leading role, and he was shot by the last last scene like last time, and it is said that the location within the prefecture assumes winter from the autumn of next year.

Displayed in the museum are the mask which Mr. Lee Byung-Hun wore in the drama, Mr. Jung Jun-Ho's note as well as a panel of drama props.

The exhibition is opened to public starting December 23rd with opening hours at 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Entrance is free of charge and opens till March, 2013.

• 3 weeks later...

^

thanks hyangel, appreciate the sharing very much ^^

January 15, 2012

IRIS and Lie to Me are among the list of Upcoming GMA Koreanovelas for 2012

Posted By Jam iamjammed.com

The Kapuso network will offer Korean dramas for 2012 – something that fans look forward to as the year starts. True to being the home of the greatest Asianovelas, GMA will air "IRIS", which most expensive Korean dramas ever produced. Korean stars Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee (of Love Story in Harvard) will topbill the said drama. This award-winning drama was a consistent top rater in Korea since it first debuted in October 2009.

Another Korean drama to look forward to is the romantic series "Lie to Me", which is topbilled by Yoon Eun-hye (of Princess Hours, Coffee Prince and My Fair Lady) and Kang Ji-hwan of Save the Last Dance for Me.

Included in the list of upcoming GMA Koreanovelas are the epic tales of Tamra, Chuno the Slave Hunters and Lee San: The Wind of the Palace. Other love stories fans should look out for are "The Greatest Lov" and 2011 Number 1 Korean drama, "Smile, Dong hae".

January 26, 2012

Who’s the Highest Paid Actor in Korea?

Source: Nate 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 l 9 l 10 l 11 l 12

by: thunderstix on soompi.com

mv4.jpg

Which Korean actor gets paid the most per episode? It’s none other than the veteran actor Lee Byung Hun.

According to Jung Tae Won, the CEO of Taewon Entertainment, Lee Byung Hun is the undisputed, highest-paid actor in Korea. On the January 25 episode of Channel A’s “Shocking,” Jung Tae Won said, “The highest paid actor in Korea is no doubt Lee Byung Hun. When I wrote the script for ‘IRIS,’ I had Lee Byung Hun in mind the whole time.” Lee Byung Hun later accepted the lead male role for the drama series and satisfied the whole production team.

Back then, Lee Byung Hun was reported to have received 25 million won ($20,000~USD) per episode. But it’s believed that he also got a guaranteed bonus of 1.2 billion won ($1.1 million~ USD) from the Japanese producers.

Jung Tae Won is one of the most influential executives in the Korean entertainment industry. He’s produced more than 30 blockbuster TV series and movies, including the “IRIS” series and “Glory of the Family,” and has imported over 700 foreign acts as well. He was also responsible for organizing the first Michael Jackson concert in Korea back in 1996.

• 2 weeks later...

Please refer the news link for clips and comments, etc

February 4, 2012

What Are the Most Memorable Kiss Scenes from TV Dramas?

by: Yoojiin soompi.com

On the February 2 broadcast of KBS 2TV "Generation Empathy Saturday," the top 10 love scenes in dramas were revealed. From the love scenes which had viewers cry and laugh, to those which had our hearts flutter, the number one scene was carefully chosen.

When you think of the love scenes in the recent dramas, the "Candy Kiss" from drama "Iris" and the "Foam Kiss" or "Cappuccino Foam Kiss" from "Secret Garden" come to mind.

In "IRIS," Hyun Joon (Lee Byung Hun) and Seung Hee (Kim Tae Hee) pledge their love for each other with the "Candy Kiss". When they were in Japan, both shared a candy while kissing. Seung Hee thought she'd get a White Day gift from Hyun Joon and was disappointed when he didn't bring her any. He then shared the candy he had in his mouth with her through a kiss.

In "Secret Garden," Kim Joo Won (Hyun Bin) and Gil Ra Im (Ha Ji Won) exchanged a "Cappuccino Foam Kiss." Gil Ra Im had foam all over her lips after drinking a cappuccino. Then Kim Joo Won saw that and wiped it off, holding her chin in his hand. He then kissed her.

Another mythic kiss scene was the "Snowmen Kiss" in what is probably one of the most watched dramas in the world, "Winter Sonata". In this scene, Bae Yong Joon is making two snowmen kisses to make Choi Ji Woon laugh. And right after, he playfully attempts to kiss her and succeeds.

"Brain's" kiss scene was a hot topic for days after the episode was broadcast. Nicknamed the "Bubble Gum Kiss," the kiss happened between top neurosurgeon Lee Kang Hoon (Shin Ha Kyun) and his junior surgeon Yoon Ji Hye (Choi Jung Won). Ji Hye had gum on her face and Kang Hoon tried to get if off with a peck which transformed into a long lasting kiss.

Drama "Flower Boy Ramyun Shop"'s Yang Eun Bi (Lee Chung Ah) and Cha Chi Soo's (Jung Il Woo) "Kimchi Kiss" also made it to the best kiss scenes list as well as "Lie To Me"'s "Cola Kiss" between Lee Ki Joon (Kang Ji Hwan) and Kim Ah Jeong (Yoon Eun Hye).

Another kiss scene that was featured on the list is the "Fan Kiss" between Kim Seung Yoo (Park Shi Hoo) and Lee Se Ryung (Moon Cha Won) in the "Princess Man."

Themed kisses have been popular in dramas as they bring something more to the table and are somewhat amusing. These legendary kiss scenes have been parodied a high number of times by singers or comedians.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

March 25, 2011

Exploring K-Drama

Posted by Pierce Conran at MKC

Despite watching hundreds of Korean films, I have never watched any K-Drama, until now that is! Last night I watched the first episode of Iris, the popular thriller from 2009 starring Lee Byung-hun. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long. Perhaps I didn't want to be disappointed, I hold Korean cinema up to such a high standard! So what did I think? Well, I enjoyed myself watching it, and I will watch more, but I definitely will not recommend this to people if I'm trying to get them into K-Movies. I kind of enjoyed myself despite myself. It was cheesy, flashy without being as sleek as its feature length counterparts. It was also very fetishistic, I know Lee Byung-hun is a good looking guy but it was like his skin was incompatible with clothing, it seemed to expel it constantly.

The first episode provides necessary exposition, military school, college, cute romances etc. Knowing that the age of the stars is around 40, this was a stretch and a little grating but I imagine that as the series progresses, this will become less of a problem. The show exhibits a somewhat different aesthetic than I am used to, it's very crisp but it does look like TV. It's long too, are all K-Drama episode 65 minutes long? I think it's interesting that shows only go on for one season, I like that format, the stakes are just gonna be higher, I hope.

I want to see some other K-Dramas too before I make up my mind about them, I know there are some that are meant to be very good. Iris just seemed like an easy introduction, it features a few stars I know (Lee Byung-hun, Jeong Joon-ho) and it's full of action/spy/thriller elements.

I'm curious to see where this goes.

IRIS at 9th Avenue

106106_46871_1710.jpg
newsprime.co.kr

2009112212470285680_130105_0.jpg
kr.news.yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

January 25, 2012

Junie Returns to Music on 'Actor Pop Star'

Posted by Daniel hellokpop.com

120124_4f1e347a3b3cb.jpg

43513001.2.jpg

Actress Hyun Junie’s January 24th performance on the SBS show, Actor Pop Star, drew attention to her colorful past as a singer.

Although Junie is busy building up her thespian resume, she was once the main vocalist for the rock band, Bella Mafia. Made of 4 female members, Bella Mafia had an active music career under the Soundholic Entertainment label, which Koo Tae-hoon, the drummer of band Purple Rain Forest, created. In 2008, Bella Mafia, which symbolizes a beautiful villain, released the single, Over Step.

But Junie soon switched lanes and entered show business. She first set foot onto the small screen when she debuted in the MBC drama, Beethoven Virus. She then powered up her profile with roles on KBS’s spy show, IRIS, and coincidentally, SBS’s rockstar story, I Am Legend. Or maybe it wasn’t a coincidence.

Her on-screen musical talent and singing skills stirred up buzz amongst TV audiences. Junie’s rendition of 8eight’s Heartless on IRIS in particular, is well-known for driving fellow actress Kim Tae-hee to tears on set.

Junie laid her musical aspirations to rest after she signed a deal with Lee Byung-hun’s management company BH Entertainment. But on January 24th’s episode of Actor Pop Star, her first large-scale stage appearance, she shocked viewers with an explosive performance of Stacie Orrico’s Stuck that judges called the “best stage” of the show. You can check out this songstress-turned-actress’s emotional comeback with Actor Pop Star at 9:30 a.m. on SBS.

Source: Nate News, SBS News // Photo: Donga News

• 1 month later...

June 2, 2012
Baek Ji Young Shares How Much her Drama OSTs MakeSource: CJ E&M enewsWorld Grace Danbi Hong 
Queen of Drama OSTs (original sound tracks), Baek Ji Young revealed on tvN’s Taxi on May 31 that she′s been lucky when it comes to singing for drama OSTs. 
Baek Ji Young shared, “No matter how many times I choose the songs or think the songs will be successful, there are ones that just aren’t, and then there are songs that I didn’t think would be successful, but had the opposite results. 
MC Lee Young Ja then asked if singing for drama OSTs bring in a lot of money. 
Baek Ji Young replied that when she releases a personal album, money is spent on promotions and traveling, but for dramas, all her team has to do is create the song, record it, and send it off to the drama staff. From there, the drama, which airs at least twice a week, promotes the song for free. 
On how much the song Don’t Forget Me from the drama IRIS made , Baek Ji Young said, “I don’t know the exact amount, but I heard that [the IRIS OST] made approximately 5 billion won (~4.2 million USD). That came out in a newspaper and I couldn’t believe it either, but that’s how much the song made. Secret Garden also made around that much.”
Whether it’s luck or not, Baek Ji Young must have some talent in raking in that much money. Keep on singing drama OSTs! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

August 24, 2012
"IRIS" producer confirms sequelNate l Reporter: Lee Hye Ji Editor: Monica Suk KStar10
201208231450772277_1.jpg
KBS’ 2009 hit TV series “IRIS” producer is gearing up to produce the sequel to the drama aiming to hit the airwaves next year.
Taewon Entertainment, the original series’ production company, is in the pre-production stage of the action-packed TV series' second season, a rep from the firm talked to the magazine over the phone Friday.
“We are in the process of renewing and refreshing the original story [for the next season], so we have yet to to talk about the casting. We're aiming to air the show next year, but it has not been settled yet,” the official said briefly.
Industry watchers predict that producer Chung Tae-won will get his hands on the project after wrapping up filming the fifth installment of "Marrying the Mafia" series, a comedy pic due out this year.
"IRIS," which aired back in 2009, stars some of the biggest names in the Korean entertainment industry including Kim Tae-hee, Jung Joon-ho, Kim So-yeon and Big Bang member T.O.P. 
The espionage series dominated the primetime lineup during its run, between October 14 and December 17, with its viewership ratings reaching nearly 40 percent, and later turned into a big screen film, dubbed "IRIS: THE MOVIE" in 2010.

Archived