[Drama 2009 Movie 2010] IRIS 아이리스

rubie

Unfortunately.. 
August 24, 2012
Taewon Entertainment says rumours of 'IRIS 2' is unfounded
By Korea Star Daily | Kpop Fighting 
1204-10352.jpg
It was reported today that ‘IRIS 2’ is being prepared for production and this has gotten the attention of many netizens.
Many television personnel revealed in news reports on August 23rd that production is set in stone for the sequel to ‘IRIS’.
‘IRIS’ was a big hit back in 2009, starring big names like Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Hee, and many more. Exciting fighting scenes and a good storyline endeared itself to viewers locally and overseas.
But with regards to the news, a Taewon Entertainment representative expressed, “Production for the second season of ‘IRIS’ isn’t confirmed yet. There’s no confirmed production timeframe or broadcast date. There’s no decision on who will write the script, direct the drama, and many more. But preparation for ‘IRIS 2’ is on-going bit by bit. But we won’t be elaborating on what they are.”

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 25, 2012

'IRIS 2' Lee Byung Hun And Kim Tae Hee Won't Be Joining...'Different Plans From The First Season'BY KOREAPORTAL STAFF WRITER
The main characters of the drama 'IRIS,' will not be appearing on 'IRIS 2.'
On the 23rd, it was reported that 'IRIS 2' will be made starting in the beginning of next year. Meanwhile, on the 24th, a staff official stated, "Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee will not be appearing."
Representative Jung Tae Won of Tae Won Entertainment stated, "it is not decided when it will be produced or when it will air. Part 2 will be very different from part 1, so Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee will no longer appear. Actors have not been casted yet."
The KBS 2TV 2009 drama 'IRIS,' had a strong start with its advertisement completely sold and ended with record of 39.9% viewers rating (TNS Media Korea). Top stars, Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Hee, Jung Joon Ho, Kim Seung Woo, Kim So Yeon, Big Bang's TOP, all appeared.    As 'Iris' was popular, people wondered if Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee will appear in the second season. However, they will not be appearing. Lee Byung Hun is planning to work with Bruce Willis in the Hollywood film 'RED 2' in November. Meanwhile, Kim Tae Hee is searching for a drama to appear on after she finished her Japanese drama 'Me and My Star's 99 Days' in 2011.
Tae Won Entertainment will be filming for a movie 'Marrying the Mafia V: Return of the Family,' and it has delayed the starting period of 'IRIS 2.' Representative Jung Tae won stated that writer Kim Hyun Joon will not be writing for the second season, and the writing has not been started for the second season.
Representative Jung is preparing to film for 'Marrying the Mafia V: Return of the Family' and is working on the plans for 'IRIS 2.'

August 26, 2012

Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee confirmed to not reprise their roles for 'IRIS 2'by webe allkpop
It has now been confirmed that the stars of ‘Iris‘, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee will not be reprising their roles for ‘IRIS 2.’
Rumors were flying on August 23rd that ‘IRIS 2′ was gearing up to start filming in early next year and on August 24th, the production company stated that the only thing that is confirmed is that Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee will not be returning.
Jung Tae Won of Taewon Entertainment, the production company behind ‘IRIS’ stated to Newsen, “There is no timetable for when the drama will go in production or when it will air.  Because part 2 will be completely different from part 1 in terms of the story, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee will no longer make an appearance.  We have not cast any roles as of yet.”
‘Iris’ was broadcast on KBS2 in 2009 and starred Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Hee, Jung Jun Ho, Kim Seung Woo, Kim So Yeon and Big Bang’s T.O.P. With such an A list cast, even from the beginning, the drama had an explosive popularity garnering a 39.9% viewer rating.
Because ‘Iris’ was a massive hit, people hoped that the main characters Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee would star in part 2 but that is not to be.  Lee Byung Hun is preparing to star in ‘RED 2‘ with Bruce Willis and after starring in the Japanese drama, ‘The 99 Days with Me and the Star‘ in 2011, Kim Tae Hee is carefully reviewing scripts to decide her next project.
Taewon Entertainment is gearing up to film ‘Marrying the Mafia 5: Return to the Mafia‘ thus delaying production on ‘IRIS 2.’  According to Jung Tae Ho, Kim Hyun Jun who wrote the script for ‘IRIS’ will not be returning to pen ‘IRIS 2′ and the writing of the series has not begun yet either.
Representative Jung is currently focusing on ‘Marrying the Mafia 5′ and planning out the next steps for ‘IRIS 2.’
Source: Newsen via Nate

Guest hapha8714

but for sure kim so yeon & kim seung woo will be joining in the 2nd part. they have given us a glimpse of them in Athena: Goddess of War.

man, it's around 3 years...and i'm still excited for IRIS 2

awww.. it sucks that they won't return.  Since the ending for IRIS gave us all a cliff hanger.. we don't know who shot Kim Hyun Joon and whether he's alive or not.  At least give us an explanation and an continuation to season 2 explaining what happen afterwards and if Choi Seung Hee will seek revenge since she has some sort of connections.. I was really looking forward to seeing the main cast together again.

Guest kayana20

It's quite obvious they probably don't want to pay the big bucks for them to return. I am so sad about this but I see no reason to watch part 2 without them in it. They were the reason why I got back into k-drama too. And Athena 2 should never come back either that one was horrible. Sigh seriously disappointed in Taewon Entertainment.

• 3 weeks later...

September 13, 2012

Jang Hyuk tapped to star in 'IRIS 2'
By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

13211359.jpg

Rumor has it that the protagonist in the sequel of hit drama “Iris” will be Jang Hyuk.

According to Sports Hankook yesterday, the 35-year-old actor is contemplating a proposal pitched by Taewon Entertainment, the company behind the action drama that was a huge success in 2009.

Jang is set to take over the role played by Lee Byung-hun in the prequel.

“It’s not set in stone yet, but it’s most likely that Jang will play the lead,” a source from the industry told the sports and entertainment daily.

Jang was picked because of his roles in the hit dramas “Deep Rooted Tree” (2011) and “Chuno” (2010).

“Jang really showed that he has a flair for action and there are not many actors out there who can combine action and drama,” said the insider.

The original drama, which aired on KBS nearly three years ago, amassed viewer ratings of 40 percent and boasted a stellar cast of Hallyu actors such as Lee, Kim Tae-hee, Kim So-yeon, Jung Joon-ho as well as Big Bang’s T.O.P.

September 14, 2012
Jang Hyuk considering lead role in IRIS 2by javabeans dramabeans.com
janghyuk_106.jpg
Really, IRIS 2 is happening after all?
They’ve been talking of this for years, but nothing ever came of it and I thought the idea had been shelved. But the latest news is that the drama sequel to 2009′s action-thriller is (back?) in pre-production and courting Jang Hyuk (Tree With Deep Roots, Chuno) as the hero. Jang’s agency confirmed that they received the offer and that he’s considering it favorably, though of course that comes with usual caveats about decisions not being final.
According to president Jung Tae-won of IRIS’s production company Taewon Entertainment, IRIS 2 is currently in planning stages, and the producers intend to announce its broadcast and casting plans soon. Vaguest announcement ever, no? No word yet on what kind of story it’ll be, other than that it picks up three years after the end of the first series.

The time skip is understandable since they’ll be without first season hero Lee Byung-heon, who announced early on that he wouldn’t reprise his role in a sequel. [spoiler ALERT] So they’d need a new hero anyway, even if his character hadn’t met his untimely end in truly aggravating fashion at the end of Season 1. Urg.
But here’s the thing about an IRIS sequel: Does anyone care anymore?
I don’t mean that IRIS was a bad show, because I certainly enjoyed watching it, but with regards to a sequel it sorta feels like it missed its window. When the show premiered with a bang (pun not intended, though always appreciated) and recorded impressive 30%+ ratings, there was a ton of excitement about creating a franchise out of it — before it had even wrapped, Taewon was announcing IRIS movies, sequels, comics, and spin-offs.
iris7-00018.jpgIRIS
Then Athena came along and tanked in the ratings, and by all accounts (I didn’t stick around for that one) the story was also a mess. It sure seems like Taewon was in such a hurry to capitalize on the brand that they scrambled to meet demand before making sure there was demand.
I’m always game for a thrilling spy drama, and IRIS did boast impressive cinematography and action scenes. But in the three years that have passed, the drama landscape has upgraded quite a bit, and this is no longer the hot action kid on the block — there are darker, more tightly written, more emotionally pulsing action thrillers around.
I always thought IRIS felt conceptualized as a franchise first, drama second. That showed in the writing, which was more sizzle than steak. So IRIS 2 really has to up its game to stay level with this playing field — although yes, IRIS helped raise the level of play in the first place. That’s the way of the world, though: keep up or get left behind.
Also: I thought Jang Hyuk wanted to get away from action roles, to keep from being type-cast. It’s why he decided against Gaksital, isn’t it? (Side note: How different would that show have been with him as Kang-to? Jang Hyuk is capable of killing it with dark and intense roles, but just by casting him the tenor of the show changes — they’d have to cast an older Shunji as well, and part of why their friendship and rift broke my heart was seeing them both in the full bloom of youthful idealism, before they transformed into battle-weary foes.)
Annnnyway, IRIS 2 is aiming for a February 2013 premiere, though seeing as how it has yet to secure a broadcaster, that date may change.
Via Mk.co.kr

Guest mangotango123

Although its a little disappointing that the main original cast won't be a part of Iris 2, i hope they make it so it can confidently stand along side the original. I'm actually glad that i only finished watching it late last year, because i don't think i could have survived waited 3 years for this squeal as a lot of people have hahaha 

September 21, 2012

Top 4 Korean Actors on TelevisionSource: Hancinema.net
Korean television is home to some of the most gifted actors in the world. Korean dramas, in particular, tend to put on display some of the best talents. And for those who want to watch Korean programming but live in the US, Direct TV offers international programming packages so you can watch the best shows and the top 4 Korean television actors:
photo257188.jpg
1. Jang HyeokThis superstar has been a mainstay on the Korean television scene since 1997, when he first debuted in the SBS drama "Models". Jang Hyeok's best work at this point has been "The Slave Hunters". Jang Hyeok's role in that popular TV series won him the top prize at the 2010 KBS Drama Awards, and also led to his nomination for Best Actor at the 2011 International Emmy Awards. Jang is currently involved with "IRIS 2", which will air on KBS in 2013.
2. Sin Ha-gyoonSin Ha-gyoon is well-known for his appearances in popular Korean movies, but made his television debut in the early 2000s as Park Joon-pil in the TV series "Good Person". This past year marked Sin's rise to superstardom. He received three KBS Drama Acting awards in 2011, including the Grand Prize, and also was named Best Actor at the 2012 24th Producers Awards of Korea for his role in the hit TV series "Brain".
3. Choi Soo-jongThis Korean star isn't new to lists of best actors. The winner of numerous acting awards since the early 1990s, Choi's most recent award came for his role in "Dae Jo Yeong", the popular 2007 drama series. He took home the Highest Award at the KBS Acting Awards for that role. Most recently, Choi paired up with his wife to star in "President", which aired from 2010 to early 2011.
4. Lee Byeong-HeonThe television star received three KBS Drama acting awards for his role in "IRIS". He also earned four more awards for the same show, including Best TV Actor at the 1st Seoul Arts & Culture Awards, Best Actor in a TV Drama at the 46th Baeksang Arts Awards, Hallyu Star Male Actor at the 5th Seoul International Drama Awards, and Best Actor in Asia at the 2010 Toyko Drama Awards.
While some of these actors are more active than others, their trophy cases say it all. For fans who already follow Korean television, these should come as no surprise. For those exploring Korean television for the first time, these actors are must-sees.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't it be better, the new drama not be called IRIS dontcare.gif.
November 13, 2012
Lee Beom-Su, “Lee Byeong-Heon is now an old memory, now it is ‘Iris 2’ time”  Source: Innolife Korea
Lee Beom-Su talked about his testimony of appearing in ‘Iris 2’.
At a showcase of ‘Iris 2’ that was held at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Gangnam-gu in Seoul on 13th, Lee Beom-Su showed his confidence of the drama.
Lee Beom-Su who got the role of Yu Joong-Won, an ex-agent of room 35 of North Korea, said that, “Since it’s a spy action drama, there will be many images that are fast and exciting. I’d like the drama to be better one than the previous one since lots of actors and staffs put their efforts in the drama.”
Moreover, he added that, “Please put Lee Byeong-Heon’s ‘Iris’ in memories, and expect and wait for ‘Iris 2’.”
Meanwhile, ‘Iris 2’ that PD Pyo Min-Su is producing and fantastic actors appearing such as Jang Hyeok, Lee Da-Hae and Lee Beom-Su is going to be on TV on February 13 2013.

November 14, 2012

'Iris 2' producers promise big things

By Carla Sunwoo Korea JoongAng Daily

14204938.jpg

At a press conference Tuesday for the much-anticipated drama “Iris 2,” producers claimed the sequel may not have Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee, “but will be a spectacular production incorporating the latest technology as well as some authentic martial arts moves.”

Co-directed by Pyo Min-soo, best known for romance films, and Kim Tae-hoon from the action genre, the program’s producer Jung Tae-won said the drama will be “a lot different from the prequel.”

The show stars Jang Hyuk, Lee Da-hae and three idol singers: Lee Joon from MBlaq, Yoon Du-jun from Beast and Kang Ji-young from KARA.

“I was a fan of the prequel, and so it is quite a burden to know I have some big shoes to fill,” said Yoon, referring to the role of another idol group member, TOP, in the 2009 hit production.

Meanwhile, Lee said he had a bit more of a laissez-faire outlook on the project. “I don’t feel like I have to try too hard, and as always, I’ll just be myself,” said Lee, who added that he must be an “OK” actor as he’s been in productions like “Ninja Assassin” (2009).

• 2 weeks later...

November 25, 2012
Carmakers turn to TV drama for killer promotions
Companies bet big on prime-time soap operas to showcase their cars
By Lee Ji-yoon The Korea Herald
PHOTO: Actors of the upcoming drama “IRIS II” pose with Kia Motors’ New K7 during the car’s launching event at a Seoul hotel on Nov. 13. ( Kia Motors)
Kia Motors’ K7 sedan was once called “Lee Byung-hun’s car” after the Korean Wave heartthrob drove the car in the several chase scenes of the 2009 hit spy thriller “IRIS.”
Company officials would not offer the specific sales data on the drama sponsorship. But during the eight months after the drama ended, the K7 topped the nation’s large sedan segment sales, outperforming Hyundai Motor’s steady-seller Grandeur. 

Unveiling the facelift version of the K7 recently, the carmaker, an affiliate of Hyundai Motor, is betting this time on the drama’s sequel “IRIS II,” which is slated to air in February. 
“The K7 became a smash hit with the drama ‘IRIS.’ The New K7 also will join the main actors of the upcoming ‘IRIS II,’” Seo Chun-kwan, Kia’s marketing director, said at the car’s launching event. 
Amid a proliferation of drama productions in Korea and their better quality, carmakers are paying renewed attention to placing their products in TV dramas. 
There are two options for marketers to slip their vehicles into TV shows here. 
Through a deal with the state-sponsored Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation, carmakers can show the logos of their vehicles by paying 10 million to 40 million won ($9,000-37,000) for a 10-second exposure. 
Or they can directly sponsor a drama. In this case, the cost could surge to hundreds of millions of won depending on detailed contract conditions and they are not allowed to reveal the logos. 
Despite the higher cost, most carmakers are opting for the latter as they can expose their vehicles constantly throughout the storylines. 
Currently almost all prime-time shows feature sponsored cars for their main characters, with many of them being chaebol family members. 
PHOTO: The Citroen DS3 for KBS’ “Ohlala Couple”
BMW offers its vehicles to SBS’ “Five Fingers,” Volvo for MBC’s “Here Goes Oh Ja-ryong,” Peugeot-Citroen for KBS “Ohlala Couple” and another KBS drama “My Daughter Seo-young,” Nissan for “Innocent Man,” and so on. 
In terms of viewer ratings, French brands Peugeot and Citroen may have made the best deal as the weekender “My Daughter Seo-young” is enjoying high viewership.
Citroen, in particular, which made its Korean debut this year, is successfully appealing to local customers still unfamiliar with the brand and its vehicles. “I would not say our appearance in the drama is directly affecting car sales. But more customers are visiting our dealerships and asking about the cars,” said Joe Han, a PR manager at Hanbul Motors, the official Korean importer of Citroen.
Mercedes-Benz took a smarter strategy, weaving its new M-class SUV directly into the storylines of the recently concluded hit drama “A Gentleman’s Dignity.”
PHOTO: The Mercedes-Benz Ml 63 AMG for SBS’ “A Gentleman’s Dignity”
In the drama, the main character, played by actor Jang Dong-gun, never hesitates to show his affection for the car, naming it “Betty,” which sometimes causes his girlfriend to get jealous. 
After he mentioned the car in the drama, the carmaker said its dealerships were flooded with phone calls. “Mercedes-Benz was more known for its sedan models in Korea. With the aim of increasing customers’ awareness about our SUV models, we designed the sponsorship from the beginning and the plan worked perfectly,” said Choi Yoon-sun, a spokesperson of Mercedes-Benz Korea. 
As much as the effectiveness of a successful drama product placement is proved, however, carmakers are concerned about the soaring costs. 
An executive at an import car brand said his company had to give up sponsoring a drama production recently due to the “excessive demands” of the mediating PR agency. “In the past, we used to offer vehicles only. But now it is common that production companies ask for additional funding,” he said on condition of anonymity. 
Industry watchers predict more carmakers would use product placement as it is still less expensive but more effective than regular TV commercials. 
“Viewers seem more tolerant when products appear in the show, while they turn channels to skip TV commercials. But marketers need to know product placement should be integrated into the context, not added on too obviously,” said a PR agency official, declining to be named. 

November 28, 2012
Lee set for CineAsia honour
By Patrick Frater FilmBiz Asia
South Korean superstar Lee Byung-hun is to be named as Star of the Year at the CineAsia convention next month in Hong Kong.
"Lee is a wonderful actor who has delighted television audiences and movie-goers not only in Asia, but internationally as well," said Robert H Sunshine, CineAsia MD. The prize will be presented at an awards luncheon on 13 Dec.
Lee recently earned honours as the lead in Korean blockbuster hit Masquerade, in which he played an ancient king and his body double. Having made a Hollywood debut in GI Joe: Rise of Cobra, Lee will next be seen in GI Joe 2: Retaliation and the upcoming Red 2, which is now shooting in the UK.
Lee is also the star of hits I Saw The Devil and The Good The Bad The Weird and previously had an extensive TV career with series including Beautiful Days, All In, and IRIS.

• 1 month later...

January 2, 2013
Jo Hyun Gil, producer of ‘IRIS’ and ‘Athena’ found dead in a car
by jennywill allkpop.com
1357140494366.jpg
Producer Jo Hyun Gil has been found dead in Seoul’s Gangnam Cheongdam-dong.
Jo Hyun Gil was 48 years old and participated as the producer of many famous dramas such as ‘IRIS‘, ‘Athena‘, and movies such as ‘71 Into the Fire‘, ‘Wet Dreams‘, and the ‘Marrying the Mafia‘ series.
His body was found in a car in the parking lot of a restaurant that he owned shortly after 9:00AM on the morning of January 2nd. The police determined that he died due to hypothermia most likely because he stayed in the car for too long in the extremely cold weather.
Our condolences to his family and friends.
Source: Xports News

January 3, 2013
Producer of ′Iris′ and ′Athena′ Found Dead in Assumed Suicide CJ E&M enewsWorld An So Hyoun | Oh, MiJung Translation Credit : Erika Kim  
Cho Hyeon Gil, head of H Plus Communication and producer of such popular dramas as Iris and Athena: Goddess of War, was found dead in his car on January 2.
The producer and his car was found in the parking lot of a restaurant he owns in Gangnam. Police have reported that the man froze to death, and seeing how he had been in his car alone in severe subzero temperatures with a burnt coal briquette and a suicide note, have assumed he died in a suicidal attempt.
An acquaintance of Cho Hyeon Gil said cautiously, "Last Monday (December 31) he left a post on his Facebook page reading ′I feel good now that I′ve set everything aside′. I′m thinking he committed suicide."
The family of the deceased, however, are insisting that the death was an accident.
Cho Hyeon Gil′s cousin told enews, "The deceased had surgery for valvular heart disease and myocardial infarction, and he had another surgery two months ago in his gallbladder. I believe he died because of a shock he received to his weak heart. He had no reason to commit suicide, as he had no problems regarding his business or his finances."
The wake is taking place at the Gangnam Severance Hospital. Actors Kim Seung Woo and Lim Hyung Joon have dropped by, while Jang Dong Gun, Kim Sun Ah, baseball player Ryu Hyun Jin and director Yun Je Gyun have sent flowers.
One acquaintance said at the wake, "He planned to look over baseball player Ryu Hyun Jin and produce a film this year. Everything was going great, but I′m sad to hear the sudden bad news."
Cho Hyeon Gil produced or designed such films as Wet Dreams, Marrying the Mafia II, Who Slept With Her, 71-Into the Fire, Eye for an Eye and The Last Present, and also looked over the production of dramas Iris and Athena: Goddess of War.
He was previously said to be the man responsible for the Kara incident in 2011, in which Han Seung Yeon, Jung Nicole and Kang Ji Young nearly left their team, but he has since denied such claims. He owned a restaurant with Nicole′s mother, but she recently turned in all her shares and left the business.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Similar reply to the question at Lee Byung Hun thread

Unless we've missed it, there hasn't been any script reading pics for IRIS in 2009. If I'm not mistaken, the drama cast went straight to Akita in Japan to start filming in March 2009. There could be some pics but weren't released for some reason. If anyone else had seen them, do let us know too.
Can't speak for others but the only pics that I've seen that probably resemble iRIS script reading were these..

2009072031387829.jpgfrom article http://www.breaknews.com/sub_read.html?uid=106278&section=sc4& 

• 2 weeks later...

February 4, 2013
Lunar New Year's Day special 'IRIS – movie edition' on KBS: the shooter of Lee Byeong-Heon unveiled Source: Innolife Korea
KBS is releasing the movie edition of ‘IRIS’, as the special program of Lunar New Year’s Day. On February 4, KBS announced, “We are going to release Lunar New Year’s Day special TV movie ‘Iris movie edition (2010)’ on February 11.” ‘IRIS movie edition’ is the compressed version of 20-episode length into 130 minute length movie, and there will be Lee Byeong-Heon and Kim Tae-Hee. ‘IRIS’ was an issue that it finished with viewer’s rate of 39.9%. 
And the movie edition has been reconstituted and there’s enhanced CG and additional shooting. Especially, the ending of the drama is different and the shooter of Lee Byeon-Heon will be revealed.
Meanwhile, 2 days after the broadcast of ‘IRIS movie edition’, ‘Iris season 2’ will start broadcasting. ‘Iris 2’ stars Jang Hyeok and Lee Da-Hae, with the story of revealing secret of ‘Mr. Black’, the mysterious man behind Baek San.

IRIS II 아이리스 II http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/2006740/upcoming-drama-2013-iris-ii-%EC%95%84%EC%9D%B4%EB%A6%AC%EC%8A%A4-ii-ep-1-preview-released-watch-on-first-post#latest

February 7, 2013
‘IRIS II’ set to explode onto the small screenSequel to popular TV drama promises to be a gripping action bonanza
By Jean Oh The Korea Herald
Viewers disappointed by the spin-off of the 2009 spy-thriller hit “IRIS,” might not have much riding on the sequel to the pioneer action original, but the tight, well-edited highlights reel that ran at the “IRIS II” press conference in Seoul on Thursday promises a seat-gripping, intense, muscular and slick series. 
The action is definitely bigger. Explosions singe the screen. Fight scenes are gritty, tough and well choreographed, with no excess flourishes. The cinematography is silver screen-grade, all the more heightened by overseas locales like Hungary, Cambodia, Japan and the endless window-smashing, helicopter-leaping, kick-richard simmons hand-to-hand combat stunts that squeeze out any room for boredom.
Sure, there is definitely a fair share of melodramatic romance in the mix, with leads Jang Hyuk and Lee Da-hey kissing on a bridge at night and frolicking in the snow, and, if the plot plays out as planned, with B2ST’s Yoon Du-jun’s also vying for the affections of Lee’s heroine, NSS agent Ji Soo-yeon. 
Throughout the sneak preview, action veteran Jang Hyuk held up his end of the bargain with no-frills, all-out stunts. 
Jang’s “The Slave Hunters” co-star and “IRIS II” heroine Lee Da-hey proved she is game for action as well with strong moves and aerial jumps. 
At the press event, Lee revealed the hardships of prepping for all those stunts, saying, “We were practicing at action school together and then I noticed that Jang Hyuk had a lot of blood, right there on his forehead, but he just wiped it off like it was nothing, I guess because he has done so much martial arts and action himself.” 
20130207000895_0.jpg“IRIS II” leads, from left, Jang Hyuk, Lee Da-hey and Lee Bum-soo attend the drama’s press conference in Seoul on Thursday. (Kim Myung-sub/The Korea Herald)
“Every moment is hit-and-miss,” said Jang. “I always am alert when filming.”
“There were many dangerous scenes in as much as the scale of the sequel is more grandiose,” said Jang, recalling a particularly nerve-racking moment. “When filming a scene where I roll over a car, at one time my leg got caught in the car and I found myself being dragged by it. That moment was a bit risky, but thankfully we got it in the second take.”
Now, a good series cannot float without a strong plot, and it is in this area where “IRIS II” might fail to live up to viewers’ expectations. 
The sequel opens three years after the as-of-yet unsolved demise of the first installment’s hero, NSS agent Kim Hyun-jun (Lee Byung-hun). 
NSS Task Force A Team Head Jung Yoo-geon (Jang Hyuk) and his team are busy trying to unveil the true identity behind the secret organization IRIS while also acting as bodyguards at a South and North Korea summit. Operative Jung (Jang Hyuk) must also transport a rogue NSS director to safety, but is ambushed by IRIS and mysteriously disappears. 
The sudden return of Jung, presumed dead-in-action, promises to add fuel to the plot. It is when Jung reappears that fellow NSS agent Lee Ji-yeon (Lee Da-hey) discovers that Jung’s disappearance is all part of a large-scale conspiracy. 
While the story might come across as a little bit been there, done that (especially since “IRIS” lead Lee Byung-hun’s hero also pulled a disappearing act in the original), it is hard to tell without seeing the series just how many similarities there will be between the upcoming sequel and “IRIS,” and its spin-off “ATHENA: Goddess of War.” 
Should the plot play out in all too familiar fashion, ratings might taper off as the drama progresses.
That is precisely the scenario that Chung Tae-won, producer at the drama’s production company Taewon Entertainment, wishes to avoid. 
After “IRIS” made it big on the small screen in 2009, “we did a spin-off ‘ATHENA,’” said Chung. “At first the response was explosive, but as the episodes aired, viewer ratings declined. We are trying not to repeat the same mistakes this time around.” 
Chung revealed that he and the team are continually reviewing the script, looking to see if anything is missing, and if there is anything to fill in those gaps.
“We are into filming our 12th episode, but we are still doing extra filming for episodes one and two.” 
Chung also promised that “IRIS II” would be “more realistic” than its predecessors. 
“IRIS II” starts airing Feb. 13 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10 p.m. on KBS 2 TV. Jang Hyuk, Lee Da-hey, Lee Bum-soo, MBLAQ’s Lee Joon, B2ST’s Yoon Du-jun will be starring in the series.

Archived