Reversing Mirror(see How You Look To Other People)

Guest shenrou

Guest shenrou

something you can do at home with just 2 mirrors
so you have wondered what you look like to other people,well here is a way to do this.

here is the siteClick here

from the site

"This is so cool, I still get a kick out of it. We are so accustomed, and even 'trained' to operate in front of a plane mirror and perform our daily duties - like brushing teeth, combing hair, putting on make-up, reading... - that our brains accept the front/back reversal and we deal with it. However, what happens when you see yourself as others truely do? It's freaky!"

Place two plane mirrors vertically at right angles to each other. Do this simply by taping the back corner while holding one mirror vertically resting against a table edge and the other sitting on the table at the edge. See photo below.

Look into the seam of the mirrors. Adjust the mirrors so you see a single non-duplicated image of your face. This is a "true" image.

Notice anything different? Yep! Our faces are NOT really symmetrical. This is what others see you as. You actually see the right side of your face on your left and your left on your right - unlike a plane mirror. Now, have some fun with it.

Raise you right hand to touch your right ear. It will amaze you at the psychological effect this has. The image actually raises the true right arm, not the mirror image "left" arm we are used to. Explanation? Each side is a reflection of a reflection. The left side is a reflection of the reflection from the right side. Cool, huh? The kids will love this. Another neat effect of this mirror is that you don't have to be in front of it. Place it at eye level and observe as you walk past it. You can ALWAYS see your image. It has about 160o vision area.

Want more fun? Have a student, preferably a girl, apply some make-up while using this true mirror. She simply can't! Heck, I can't even touch my left ear!

i have just tried this and your face looks different..

btw try doing this with a shirt on with writing on it,since it reads the correct way when doing this..

edit....

it seems you look different but that's because the angle of your face is different when you are looking at the fixed image.

but both images the original mirror one and this corrected one are just being seen at different angles,so obviously you are gonna look different.

**mods feel free to move this if its in the wrong place***

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest soniadai<3ftisland

i think this was posted before.

unless i saw it somewhere else lol.

but its really cool : )

Guest makemyday

isn't the face that i see in pictures my true image face too?

or did i just say something really stupid?

ps. how come when i'm standing side by side with my friend, hypothetically, she looks the same in the mirror as when i look at her in real life?

hmmm

i should try this though

Guest thina

i thought this too, since a camera shoots you from someone else's point of view. true or not?

Guest danizz

i thought this too, since a camera shoots you from someone else's point of view. true or not?

I think there was a thread on that. I don't think so because when I take pictures of my friends they don't really look like that on camera. They look better in person. I don't know..

ps. how come when i'm standing side by side with my friend, hypothetically, she looks the same in the mirror as when i look at her in real life?

hmmm

i should try this though

that's because you have seen your friend's face in a million angles so there's no surprise when you see her in yet another angle

I must go try..though I lack the right mirrors..perhaps two compacts will suffice.

Guest w4termelon

wow i just tried it. i'm pretty damn hideous.

hahaha . i still dont get how it works... T_T::

i`m probably more hideous >.<

Guest ephemeral.

When doing that or taking pictures of myself, I think I look different and uglier. >_o When I see my friends in the mirror, I think they look the same. Weird, eh?

Guest StaRR&

I've seen this before!

I've always wanted to try it

but I don't have large enough mirrors...

or all the mirrors have frames so it doesn't work

Guest conzerz

haha i really want to try this! i wonder how i'll look =] cant u just like.. take a pic of yourself and rotate it horizontally?

LOL. I realized that when I was doing face drawings a few years ago, how if you look at your drawing in the mirror, it looks totally different and you can fix stuff that looks weird.

I've looked at myself from too many angles to be surprised by this. LOOOOOOOOOOOOL. jk.

Guest x teehee

wow, that's pretty interesting. I look the same though :sweatingbullets: But how are we supposed to truly know what we look like to other people? I don't think we'll ever really understand it completely...

Archived