[drama 2008] When It's At Night 밤이면 밤마다

Guest kdramafanusa

Mmmm... I wonder... I agree with you that he must have depended on his wits a lot, being an orphan. I'm sure society wasn't too kind on him. Still, his "me, myself & I" attitude can't be that old. It's not something he aquired just a year ago, but it isn't something he had in his youth. The foundations may have been laid then, when he learned that other kids with more important families took up the spots that he liked; but he grew up in the countryside (and his grandparents look like they are strict enough to keep him on a leash and taught him about respect) and probably didn't have to face the harsh truth of the power of money until after he left to study, and get a job. My guess is that he bumped into the kind of character like egomaniac Prof guy before, and was "cheated" out of a position that he should've earned by his hard work and superior knowledge.

I agree with you on the intelligence part; in addition to what you said, I also think that he is probably the kind of person who doesn't think things through. He probably has a plan that's based on gut instinct rather than in-depth planning and strategy. Part of the reason for this could be the sense of supriority that he has; knowledgewise and skill wise, he's certainly correct in his assumption to be the best in his field, but there's more needed to be successful than keen workmanship and a smart brain.

I wonder what was on KBS "schedule for life", had he succeeded about getting that tenure at the university... would his next step have included finding a daughter of a higher echelon to marry him into the high society class, so that he'd finally have the right connections? Or would that have been his last resort if he had failed to get another job?

Actually, that question is really interesting as well... if KBS had not managed to get the job as a consultant at the museum after loosing that bowl to HCH, and given that he wouldn't have gotten a job at another university within Seuol... what you think his strategy would've been?

Yup, that I, me and myself attitude did not develop overnight but through years of trying to position himself to be numero uno. Agree with you that his grandparents were contributory to teaching good manners and right conduct but when he left them, and learned that the world out there was not the same as in the countryside, he switched into survival mode.

KBS does look like he just acts on gut instinct without thinking things through and that there's more to just having a smart brain. However, I don't see him that way; this guy is as shrewd and calculating as they come. A very good example is how he got his position as a consultant; initially he refused because he thought it was a mediocre job and thankfully HC gave him the excuse he needed to reject it when she objected in front of everyone. When he found out from his friend that it was a very prestigious position, what did he do? It was beneath him to grovel for this job so he devised a plan to steal and return an artifact, thus making him a hero and of course, bagging the consultant's job. The genius of KBS is his uncanny ability of letting a situation adapt to him. While mere mortals are still trying to figure out what to do, KBS can assess a situation and make split-second decisions.

As to marrying a daughter of a higher echelon to give him a place in high society, I can see him doing that, only if he loves her. He may be materialistc but not mercenary. I think he regards money as a means but not as the end itself. In his heart, KBS is still very much a country boy. You can put him in the countryside taking care of his wife and runny nosed babies and he will be blissfully happy.

If KBS did not get the consultant's job or any other position in another university in Seoul, with his expertise and reputation as one of the best, he can easily put up his own consulting company commanding huge sums to authenticate treasures. Insurance companies will be knocking at his door for his opinion as to whether a certain object is real or fake before they insure it. He can also demand commissions, a percentage of the value, for assisting in finding stolen treasures.

:) May I remind you about the scenes right after he discovered that the scroll had been stolen? That had nothing to do with HCH initially, but he was completely freaked out. Or his reaction about losing his job, as a "reduced" version of things.

But you are right, his biggest problem right now is that he's head over heels in love with HCH, and he's not standing the slightest chance against that feeling.

BTW, on a funny side note, when I watched episode 2 again with subs... the one thing that I noticed is that his thoughts were already completely occupied by HCH at that time. Because all he ever talks about is her! :)

I think he freaked because he lost the scroll that to him was very valuable, not necessarily because he feared for his position. Also, he was greatly disappointed and hurt (cuz he was already subconciously falling for HC) when he thought that HC betrayed him by stealing the scroll. The confrontation between KBS and HC, with KBS accusing and HC denying, I felt that the words they uttered to each other were just a cover up for what is really happening within themselves; both of them were hurting for a different reason other than the loss of a scroll. From KBS's expression, I thought he was going to grab HC and kiss her.

The translation really makes a lot of difference and its funny that HC has already invaded KBS's mind.

but dont u think that could be acting ... i mean lots of actresses/actors do smoke ... of course that doesnt mean that SA is a smoker .. i am just saying. .. whether she smokes or not ... it 's totally up to her :sweatingbullets:

Maybe so, just that Suna was so amateurish cuz that's how first timers (that I know of) handle a cigarette. I may be wrong, I am just basing this on body language.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kanshu
click pic to play video

yey! photobucket worked!

Thank you. :)

:D I just love that scene... Lady Wang cracks me up every time I see her... And I just sympathize with poor TL Kang, who has to keep that walking disaster area in check :)

Guest ebrigid

Yeah, I love Lady Wang's antics in the show.

There was a short interview with her just put up at the imbc website. (not sure how to link it here)

She mentioned that there are 3 mannerisms that she displays in the show.

1) Her backhand finger pushing back of her fringe

2) Her finger-wagging

3) Saying "됐거든요"...something like "I don't need this/ that's enough" in english (i think)

Although her character can be somewhat irritating at times, her acting is totally convinceable.

And some potential spoilers (don't hold me to it if it's wrong):

- to clarify, kissing scene is between KBS and HCH (Kang TL is not involved. Read somewhere that someone thought it involved him)

- it's happening on a ship on the Han River (and looking at LDG's filming schedule, they're filming at the Han River TODAY!)

I can't wait for Monday's episode!!!

Bam Bam Fighting!!

Guest kanshu
KBS does look like he just acts on gut instinct without thinking things through and that there's more to just having a smart brain. However, I don't see him that way; this guy is as shrewd and calculating as they come. A very good example is how he got his position as a consultant; initially he refused because he thought it was a mediocre job and thankfully HC gave him the excuse he needed to reject it when she objected in front of everyone. When he found out from his friend that it was a very prestigious position, what did he do? It was beneath him to grovel for this job so he devised a plan to steal and return an artifact, thus making him a hero and of course, bagging the consultant's job. The genius of KBS is his uncanny ability of letting a situation adapt to him. While mere mortals are still trying to figure out what to do, KBS can assess a situation and make split-second decisions.

Well, but he didn't think it through to the end, which is my point. He might have devised a great scheme that got him the job, but he overlooked the fact that he might have to answer to his team (i.e. knowing that HCH doesn't trust him at all) about how he came to the item. Yes, he was quick on his feet to think up an explanation, but that sounded so unbelievable that it made HCH even more suspicious of him, and I'm pretty sure that the others found his "heroic fight" hard to swallow, too.

Had he planned it thoroughly, he would've thought of a proper, air-tight ending to his scheme, rather than having just too many co-incidents and loose ends hanging around (like meeting with the bad guy in that dance place, when he knew that HCH and the others were looking for the item... and then step out and actually hinder HCH in doing her job? Suspicious behaviour, much?).

Being quick thinking on your feet, to me, is "gut instinct planning", because it's a temporary solution that is supposed to remedy the situation at hand, but it's not thorough planning.

The same goes for his calculating ways; there is usually no backup plan whatsoever. He's taking what options come his way and utilizes them to ge what he wants. IMO, it's more of an opportunistic approach; even though he has "planned it out", he doesn't have the upper hand. It's just like with the job offer; had he any true planning and calculation going on, he would've known that the consultant job is important; perhaps it would've even been his main "inbetween" goal in his career plan. I mean, wouldn't that be the first item on your shopping list if you want to make it big, to find out the fastest way to get there, and then make sure you'll get all the steps covered? Why is there just one big sponsor (White Suit Guy) that he was able to depend on, if he is shrewd and calculating? Or does he think so highly of his own ablities that he never considered what would happen if he failed? (Yes, I know he was just sent to verify if that vase was real or not, and the bowl being taken from him was beyond his control... but where is that second powerful backup man he can turn to now that the first one gave him the cold shoulder?)

Which makes me wonder if KBS has any high-flying ambitions whatsoever. I think all he wants to do is being the best in his field, teach and do research, while saving artefacts in peace and quiet. Money's a plus, but I don't think it's his driving force.

So, to me, KBS - with all his scheming and cleverness - he's always calculating based on his gut instincts.

As to marrying a daughter of a higher echelon to give him a place in high society, I can see him doing that, only if he loves her. He may be materialistc but not mercenary. I think he regards money as a means but not as the end itself. In his heart, KBS is still very much a country boy. You can put him in the countryside taking care of his wife and runny nosed babies and he will be blissfully happy.

:) I see this the same way as you do.

If KBS did not get the consultant's job or any other position in another university in Seoul, with his expertise and reputation as one of the best, he can easily put up his own consulting company commanding huge sums to authenticate treasures. Insurance companies will be knocking at his door for his opinion as to whether a certain object is real or fake before they insure it. He can also demand commissions, a percentage of the value, for assisting in finding stolen treasures.

:) Makes you wonder why he didn't go that path in the first place, doesn't it? Because he wouldn't have to put up with being ridiculed and walked over just because he doesn't have the right family tree if he had his own company...

Of course, he would've needed some time to build up a reputation, so he'dhave to go through the regular system first, but once hehas established that reputation, what kept him in the system? The security of "civil service" (I think that was a topic between him and his friend in episode 2)? Or does the University erally pay that much better, or is it the only place that will create sufficient connections for him?

I think, this adds a nice extra layer to KBS.

I think he freaked because he lost the scroll that to him was very valuable, not necessarily because he feared for his position. Also, he was greatly disappointed and hurt (cuz he was already subconciously falling for HC) when he thought that HC betrayed him by stealing the scroll. The confrontation between KBS and HC, with KBS accusing and HC denying, I felt that the words they uttered to each other were just a cover up for what is really happening within themselves; both of them were hurting for a different reason other than the loss of a scroll. From KBS's expression, I thought he was going to grab HC and kiss her.

Actually, I was not referring to the latter part of the scroll thing, but on the very first part, where he wasn't thinking of HCH yet. I think you are right when you way he freaked out because that scroll was very valuable to him; after all, the reason her epaired it was because it was a vauable artefact.

But I'm not questioning his reason for loosing control; I just wanted to say that he does loose control, and that at a very intense level, that builds itself up until he doesn't function properly for a (more or less long) time. His cleverness and reason is easily outruled by his fears.

I can see how he would be weak to his own fears, because of the trauma that loosing his parents created. He created an illusion of control for himself, always coming up with new lies to keep the status quo... but the moment there's a real threat of loss and he can't come up with a quick solution, he's bound to freak or do something stupid.

(It's kind of hard for me to explain all that emotional stuff even in my own language, but I'm kind of lacking the words in English, sorry! I hope I was able to say things properly... :sweatingbullets: )

The translation really makes a lot of difference and its funny that HC has already invaded KBS's mind.

Indeed! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the episodes now. I think that I'll enjoy the show twice as much then. :)

And why is it 1:40 am already?! ARgh! I got totally carried away typing here!

And some potential spoilers (don't hold me to it if it's wrong):

- to clarify, kissing scene is between KBS and HCH (Kang TL is not involved. Read somewhere that someone thought it involved him)

- it's happening on a ship on the Han River (and looking at LDG's filming schedule, they're filming at the Han River TODAY!)

I can't wait for Monday's episode!!!

Bam Bam Fighting!!

hi ebrigid! thanks for the spoiler!

can't wait to see them kiss again i wonder who's going to initiate the kiss? kBS or cHC or both?

ohhhhh!! i'm excited just thinking about it.LOL!!

(Kang TL is not involved. Read somewhere that someone thought it involved him)

i said that earlier on my posts...just a wishful thinking

TL kang also kisses hCH.....but i don't see them kiss anytime soon..

OMG can't to watch the next episode this time HCH gonna kiss back..... so this means HCH has feelings for KBS right? or she's beginning to fall in-love with KBS now?? oooohhhh :w00t: the last 6 episode is more intense from now on...

..,just hope the ratings would raise this time, i really don't know why the ratings this past few episodes is falling :huh: well feel sorry :tongue2: for not watching WIAN because it's way cooler than i thought B)

Well, but he didn't think it through to the end, which is my point. He might have devised a great scheme that got him the job, but he overlooked the fact that he might have to answer to his team (i.e. knowing that HCH doesn't trust him at all) about how he came to the item. Yes, he was quick on his feet to think up an explanation, but that sounded so unbelievable that it made HCH even more suspicious of him, and I'm pretty sure that the others found his "heroic fight" hard to swallow, too.

Had he planned it thoroughly, he would've thought of a proper, air-tight ending to his scheme, rather than having just too many co-incidents and loose ends hanging around (like meeting with the bad guy in that dance place, when he knew that HCH and the others were looking for the item... and then step out and actually hinder HCH in doing her job? Suspicious behaviour, much?).

Being quick thinking on your feet, to me, is "gut instinct planning", because it's a temporary solution that is supposed to remedy the situation at hand, but it's not thorough planning.

The same goes for his calculating ways; there is usually no backup plan whatsoever. He's taking what options come his way and utilizes them to ge what he wants. IMO, it's more of an opportunistic approach; even though he has "planned it out", he doesn't have the upper hand. It's just like with the job offer; had he any true planning and calculation going on, he would've known that the consultant job is important; perhaps it would've even been his main "inbetween" goal in his career plan. I mean, wouldn't that be the first item on your shopping list if you want to make it big, to find out the fastest way to get there, and then make sure you'll get all the steps covered? Why is there just one big sponsor (White Suit Guy) that he was able to depend on, if he is shrewd and calculating? Or does he think so highly of his own ablities that he never considered what would happen if he failed? (Yes, I know he was just sent to verify if that vase was real or not, and the bowl being taken from him was beyond his control... but where is that second powerful backup man he can turn to now that the first one gave him the cold shoulder?)

Which makes me wonder if KBS has any high-flying ambitions whatsoever. I think all he wants to do is being the best in his field, teach and do research, while saving artefacts in peace and quiet. Money's a plus, but I don't think it's his driving force.

So, to me, KBS - with all his scheming and cleverness - he's always calculating based on his gut instincts.

I think KBS is fully aware of the consequences of his actions. Like that consultant's job, he was the one who devised the scheme and he knew exactly what will happen. He knew that it would upset the team, especially HC; afterall, he was the one who sent them to that wild goose chase. For him, it was a well thought out plan with the goal of him getting the consultant's job, which he did and he was very smug about it. I even think that he did it on purpose just to ruffle HC's feathers. If he were to act the way you described it, then he would not be KBS.

I think you nailed it when you said "Or does he think so highly of his own ablities that he never considered what would happen if he failed?"

:) Makes you wonder why he didn't go that path in the first place, doesn't it? Because he wouldn't have to put up with being ridiculed and walked over just because he doesn't have the right family tree if he had his own company...

Of course, he would've needed some time to build up a reputation, so he'dhave to go through the regular system first, but once hehas established that reputation, what kept him in the system? The security of "civil service" (I think that was a topic between him and his friend in episode 2)? Or does the University erally pay that much better, or is it the only place that will create sufficient connections for him?

I think, this adds a nice extra layer to KBS.

Maybe the future episodes will give us a clue.

Actually, I was not referring to the latter part of the scroll thing, but on the very first part, where he wasn't thinking of HCH yet. I think you are right when you way he freaked out because that scroll was very valuable to him; after all, the reason her epaired it was because it was a vauable artefact.

But I'm not questioning his reason for loosing control; I just wanted to say that he does loose control, and that at a very intense level, that builds itself up until he doesn't function properly for a (more or less long) time. His cleverness and reason is easily outruled by his fears.

I can see how he would be weak to his own fears, because of the trauma that loosing his parents created. He created an illusion of control for himself, always coming up with new lies to keep the status quo... but the moment there's a real threat of loss and he can't come up with a quick solution, he's bound to freak or do something stupid.

(It's kind of hard for me to explain all that emotional stuff even in my own language, but I'm kind of lacking the words in English, sorry! I hope I was able to say things properly... :sweatingbullets: )

I have never really seen KBS lose total control of himself except some outbursts here and there like the loss of the scroll which is normal and undertandable. But beyond that, were there incidents that I was not aware of? Maybe I missed something.

..,want to share this article about Kim Jeong-hwa don't know when this have post but just thought someone might be interested :)

Kim Jeong-hwa "Made my decision based on loyalty to Kim Seon-ah"

Kim Jeong-hwa, who was the last to join the cast of MBC "When It's At Night", revealed that she decided to join because of her loyalty to Kim Seon-ah and Director Son Hyeong-seok.

She joined filming late last month. She said, "It was very last-minute, but I took it positively, and looking over the synopsis, I realized the character was fun".

Kim Jeong-hwa has always showed her close relationship with Kim Seon-ah, and she has worked with Director Son on the cable drama "The Devil that Drinks Wine".

Kim Jeong-hwa plays sly Wang Joo-hyeon, who enters the cultural bureau with the thought of finding a potential husband who will succeed as a high government official. She and Kim Seon-ah compete for Lee Dong-geon. Lee Soo-kyeong and Park Ji-yoon were cast in this role but did not go through with it.

Kim Jeong-hwa explained, "Wang Joo-hyeon is an innocent character. She is completely different from me but we have something in common. We say anything without thinking but that becomes the topic of conversation".

She continued, "Kim Jeong-hwa is calm, but Wang Joo-hyeon is careless, Wang Joo-hyeon doesn't have scars, but Kim Jeong-hwa has a deep scar". She revealed the scars she received from debuting at a young age and experiencing the world early.

The drama allows us to rediscover the worth and importance of our culture, and the romantic comedy "When It's At Night" will first air on the 23rd.

oh cool!! some really good discussions between kanshu and sheherizade3, *hands down to both of you* :sweatingbullets::D:)B)

OMG can't to watch the next episode this time HCH gonna kiss back..... so this means HCH has feelings for KBS right? or she's beginning to fall in-love with KBS now?? oooohhhh :w00t: the last 6 episode is more intense from now on...

..,just hope the ratings would raise this time, i really don't know why the ratings this past few episodes is falling :huh: well feel sorry :tongue2: for not watching WIAN because it's way cooler than i thought B)

it's not a sure thing yet, but there's going to be a

kiss between KBS and HCH

. i doubt the ratings will go up, people in korea already stuck with one show they like..unless if there's a huge blow against the competitors, ie, bad scandals? kekeke! j/k!!!

yeah, we've posted that news article already....but it's okay, kinna remind us to be thankful for Kim Jung Hwa coz she's really doing a wonderful job..

HERE'S THE MAIN HIGHLIGHT OF EPISODE 10

click to play

th_gparents.jpg

Guest mead33

Hihi, just a quick survey... anyone has withdrawl symptoms when watching K drama? :unsure: he he... what kind of symptoms and how do you deal with them?

think i am having withdrawl symptoms after watching this show *kdrama is bad for health* :tongue2:

Guest valley girl
I don't think Suna is a smoker. I noticed that right away when I watched MNIKSS, the part where Samshik was following her and she dropped by the store and bought some cigarettes and tried to light one. The way she put the cigarette in her mouth tells me she does not smoke. I know because I used to smoke.

oh come on we love sun ah by everything she do,.. many cellebrity man or woman smoking.. maybe most of them for men some for women . sometimes they smoking to makes them slim ( for women ), ( dunno !!, iam not smoking ), maybe environment influenced them as long she's not using drugs

Hihi, just a quick survey... anyone has withdrawl symptoms when watching K drama? :unsure: he he... what kind of symptoms and how do you deal with them?

think i am having withdrawl symptoms after watching this show *kdrama is bad for health* :tongue2:

truely, kdrama is bad for health! kekek! i think i have the baddest case of addiction, i couldn't even concentrate on my work....it's a good thing i'm on my own boss! hahaha! if you find any cure or on how to deal with it, let me know...coz right now, i don't need any cure! i'm uncureable until this series is over...6 episodes to go everyone and i'm enjoying the ride...!!!!

after Every Night, i'm gonna retire from watching Kdrama for a while..This will be the last Kdrama i'll be watching without skimming,fast-forwarding and browsing...come to think of it, the last one i've seen that i did not even skip any scenes and stayed up until 4am watching "Wedding."

oh come on we love sun ah by everything she do,.. many cellebrity man or woman smoking.. maybe most of them for men some for women . sometimes they smoking to makes them slim ( for women ), ( dunno !!, iam not smoking ), maybe environment influenced them as long she's not using drugs

..,i don't think she smoke, i watched the "come to play" show were their guest was the cast of GIRLSCOUTS , there's a question for KSA, the question is if there was some event or something that she was so embarrass to tell involving her bad habits, and she said there's nothing or anything she remember doing embarrassing moment involving her bad habit and her co-star interrupt asking her "how about your drinking habit"?, she answered i only drink w/ someone i know or when she was w/ her friends. I think that's the only bad habit she has and i don't see any sign of a smoker to her based on my observation and based on my personal experienced.

..,and for smoking makes you slim, that's not true in my experience i gain weight since i learned to smoke and when i finally stopped i really lose weight, and i read some article about smoking, it's said that smoking gain weight it involves your metabolism or something like that (don't remember anymore) and after reading that article i decided to stop smoking.... :)

Archived