Go Ah Sung 고아성

Guest doonawhale

January 24, 2014
Berlin picks ‘Snowpiercer’
By Lee Sun-min INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily
24211442.jpg
Korean director Bong Joon-ho’s “Snowpiercer” is heading to the Berlin International Film Festival. 
The science-fiction film won’t be in the competition, but it is joining the Special Screenings section of the festival, which opens on Feb. 6. 
“The invitation came because many have high expectations for director Bong Joon-ho, who is well known for his previous works like ‘Mother’ and ‘Memories of Murder,’ and because ‘Snowpiercer’ is such a global project,” said an official at CJ E&M, the movie’s distributor in Korea.
The movie will be screened on Feb. 7 and 8, and director Bong will be at the event, along with actors Song Kang-ho, Ko A-sung, John Hurt and Tilda Swinton. 
Jean-Marc Rochette, the author of the graphic novel “Snowpiercer” was based on, will also attend.
Although the international rollout of “Snowpiercer” in English territories has been delayed because of a dispute over re-editing with the Weinstein Company, the movie is continuing to come to non-English-speaking countries. 
The film opens in Japan on Feb. 7, and it is said to be coming to Germany, Italy and China soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 14, 2014
5 Films including SNOWPIERCER nominated for the AFAsTHE ATTORNEY and COLD EYES also in the list of nominees by Tae Sang-joon KOFIC

MDIobebnzBVtZvhSPBIv.jpg

A number of Korean films such as Snowpiercer, The Attorney and Cold Eyes are nominated for the 8th Asian Film Awards (AFA) to be held during the Hong Kong International Film Festival in the spring.  AFA announced the nominees in 14 categories including Best Film, Best Director and Best Actor and Actress through its official website on February 11th. Snowpiercer is nominated in 5 categories while The Attorney is nominated in 3. Cold Eyes will compete with other films in 4 categories. The Face Reader is nominated for one category, the Best Costume Designer. Snowpiercer will be fighting for the top spot in Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Production Designer and Best Costume Designer. Other Best Film contenders include ISHII Yuya’s The Great Passage, WONG Kar-wai’s The Grandmaster, Ritesh BATRA’s The Lunchbox and TSAI Ming-liang’s Stray Dogs. BONG Joon-Ho will compete against Anthony CHEN of Ilo Ilo, KOREEDA Hirokazu of Like Father, Like Son, TSAI Ming-liang of Stray Dogs and WONG Kar-wai of The Grandmaster for Best Director. The Attorney is nominated in 3 categories for Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Newcomer whereby SONG Kang-ho will compete against FUKUYAMA Masaharu (Like Father, Like Son), Irrfan KHAN(The Lunchbox), Tony LEUNG Chiu Wai(The Grandmaster) and LEE Kang Sheng(Stray Dogs) for the Best Actor spot while IM Si-wan and KIM Young-ae are each nominated for the Best Newcomer and Best Supporting Actress categories respectively. Cold Eyes is nominated in 4 categories including Best Actress (HAN Hyo-joo), Best Supporting Actor (JUNG Woo-sung), Best Cinematographer and Best Editor. Meanwhile, WONG Kar-wai’s The Grandmaster is nominated in 11 categories including Best Film, Best Director and Best Actor and Actress. The 8th Asian Film Award will be held during the 38th Hong Kong International Film Festival that opens on March 24th.

Ko Ah-seong to star in "Elegant Lies"Source | 2013/07/18photo328464.jpg
Actress Ko Ah-seong is starring as Kim Hee-ae's daughter in "Elegant Lies".
"Elegant Lies" is about a 14 year-old girl who commits suicide, leaving behind a mother and a sister. This movie is based on the original written by Kim Ryeo-ryeong. Kim Hee-ae is coming back with this movie for the first time in 3 years and Ko Ah-seong is starring as her daughter.
Ko Ah-seong is also looking forward to the release of "Snowpiercer". She's starred in movies like "The Host", "A Brand New Life" and more. She recently signed a contract with her first agency and this movie will be her first grown up actress debut.
Source: Sports hankooki
credit: Hancinema

Ko Ah-seong's next movie "Elegant Lies"Source | 2013/08/19 |photo339762.jpg
Ko Ah-seong chose to star in the movie "Elegant Lies".
Ko Ha-seong takes on the leading role of Man-ji.
Man-ji is a character to looks for traces of her suicidal sister Cheon-ji. She is eager and very outspoken, Man-ji blames herself for not being able to stop her timid and quiet sister from killing herself.
Ko Ah-seong works with mother Kim Hee-ae this time. Hyeon-sook is a single mom who works in a supermarket, earning money for herself and her daughters Man-ji and Cheon-ji after her husband passed away early. She also loses one daughter but still struggles to live on with her other daughter.
Ko Ah-seong said, "I didn't have difficulty in deciding. I read the scenario and truly felt the eagerness of the characters trying to live their remaining lives".
"I am happy to work with Kim Hee-ae and I'm going to absorb everything I see, hear and feel".
Ko Ah-seong recently signed an official contract with her agency and starred in "Snowpiercer".
source: Newsen
credit Hancinema

Kim Hee-ae prepares to wring tears in Elegant Lieby girlfriday | February 1, 2014 ElegantLie7.jpg
Kim Hee-ae is on quite the streak these days. Her first stint on variety with Noonas Over Flowers has wrapped to rave reviews, she’s got a steamy noona romance drama on the way with Yoo Ah-in, and her latest movie is getting ready to hit theaters. So many things, and the year’s barely begun. The casting was already a big draw for her new movie, calledElegant Lie, which co-stars a talented trio of young actresses: Go Ah-sung(Snowpiercer), Kim Hyang-gi (Queen of the Classroom), and Kim Yoo-jung (Gold Rainbow).

read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2014/02/kim-hee-ae-prepares-to-wring-tears-in-elegant-lie/

Updated cast, added new teaser and images for the Korean movie 'Elegant Lies'Source | 2014/01/27photo396820.jpg
"Elegant Lies" (2013)Directed by Lee HanWith Kim Hee-ae, Ko Ah-seong, Kim Yoo-jeong, Kim Hyang-ki, Yoo Ah-in,...SynopsisKim Ryeo-ryeong's feature novel "Elegant Lies" is about the mother, sister and other people after the sudden death of a 14 year old girl. Unlike "Wandeugi"s warm and cheerful atmosphere, this movie is tense and has been reviewed for the realistic social message and sadness.Release date in Korea : 2014credit: Hancinema

Added new images and videos for the Korean movie 'Elegant Lies'

credit: 285England | YT uploader

photo397334.jpgcredit Hancinema

‘Elegant Lies’ coming soon

Director Lee Han’s new tearjerker “Elegant Lies” has gotten the release date - or at least a release month - of March, according to local media yesterday. 

“Elegant Lies” is the story of a seemingly happy family that gets rocked by the suicide of the 14-year-old daughter.

The movie has drawn attention for featuring veteran actress Kim Hee-ae, who is starring in her first film role in 20 years. 

It also features Yoo Ah-in in a supporting role, the actor who starred in Lee’s 2011 hit “Punch.” Yoo is said to be playing a suspicious yet humorous guy who lives next door. 

“Punch” pulled in 5.3 million admissions, making it the fourth-biggest movie of 2011.

Lee is known for featuring in a series of tearjerkers over the years, including “Almost Love” (2006) and “Lover’s Concerto” (2002). 

By Jin Eun-soo, contributing writer | Korea Joong Ang Daily

[Photos] Added new character posters and images for the Korean movie 'Elegant Lies'photo399995.jpg
cr hancinema
"Elegant Lies" Kim Hee-ae, Ko Ah-seong and moreSource | 2014/02/10

Movie "Elegant Lies" and the four actresses starring in it have everyone's attention on them.
"Elegant Lies" is about a mother named Hyeon-sook (Kim Hee-ae) and sister Man-ji (Ko Ah-seong) as well as a friend named Hwa-yeon (Kim Yoo-jeong) looking for the secrets left by 14-year-old girl Cheon-ji (Kim Hyang-ki) up in heaven.
Kim Hee-ae has been in many of writer Kim Soo-hyeon's works including dramas. She's also starring in a drama called "Love Affair - 2014" with Yoo Ah-in and has everyone looking forward to that as well. She's been earning various nicknames through the entertainment program, "Sister Over Flowers" and is coming back with a movie for the first time in 21 years.
Ko Ah-seong from the 13 million audience hit maker "The Host" and "Snowpiercer" is coming back in brand new way with "Elegant Lies". She was one who didn't care about the others and her family but after losing her sister, she begins to seek answers that were left behind.
Kim Yoo-jeong from the 42% drama "The Sun and the Moon" is Cheon-ji's closest friend Hwa-yeon and acts out a girl who is nice to everyone but is conceited on the inside. Having starred in the 2012 movies "The Grand Heist" and "A Werewolf Boy" as well as the drama "The Queen's Classroom", Kim Hyang-ki becomes a nice and deep-thinker named Cheon-ji.
credit HancinemaSource: Nate News

Official trailer of 'Beautiful Lies' released,  Kim Hee Ae & Go Ah Sung to show a heart-warming family story
20140217201838_5301f00e0a3f7_1.jpg
The main trailer of 'Elegant Lies' was officially released.
'Beautiful Lies' is a film that was motivated from a novel of the same title, and today, the production team released the main trailer.
The main trailer starts out by showing a young girl named Chun Ji(Kim Hyang Gi), followed by her older sister, Min Ji(Go Ah Sung)'s narration that says, "My younger sister, Chun Ji died. But, nobody knows why."
The following scene shows Hyun Sook(Kim Hee Ae), the mother, saying, "Three of us will do just fine," Min Ji saying, "Don't get too energetic. We'll just bring things out as usual." 
Then, the trailer keeps on, showing the mother and the two daughter living happily together.
The trailer closes by showing a caption that says, 'You lie once again, that you are happy', and a great number of movie fans are showing huge anticipation for the movie.
The trailer also shows Min Ji learning that her best friend, Hwa Yeon(Kim Yu Jung), is somehow deeply involved in her younger sister's death attempting to trace clues, and the suspense is intriguing many movie fans' even greater.
Meanwhile, movie 'Elegant Lies' will be officially released on March 13th./Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com | original article here

http://youtu.be/41ikkiqeIOQ
cr YT uploader | Thirtytoes 

Elegant Lies' To Hold its Production Conference
5ld2fz46wkzya4m1xuu39bzizsm2bhs7.jpg[by Sunghee Park] On February 18, new film ‘Elegant Lies’ held its production conference at Sinsadong CGV. 
Director Lee Han’s ‘Elegant Lies’ is about aftereffects of suicide by 14 years old girl. The story follows the mother (Kim Hee Ae), older sister (Ko Ah Sung), friend (Kim Yoo Jung) and other surrounded people. 
The movie is based on novel ‘Wooahan Geojitmal’ by Kim Ryeo Ryeong and stars popular actresses including Kim Hee Ae, Ko Ah Sung, Kim Yoo Jung, Kim Hyang Gi and others. Moreover, appearance of character actors such as Yoo Ah In and Sung Dong Ill is adding more attraction that people’s expectation is growing each day. 
Meanwhile, new film ‘Elegant Lies’ is set to hit theater on March 13. (photo by bntnews DB) credit: news@bntnews.co.uk 

News Video coverage on the press conference of Elegant Lies Held  on February 18, 2014 at CGV AM Theater, Apgujeong SeoulIn attendance were its 4 leads: Kim Hee Ae, Go AhSung, Kim YooJung, Kim HyangGi and PD Lee Han
credit SSTVnews

Credit UPTV

‘Elegant Lies’ looks at family’s ugly truths

Elegant_Lies-0001.jpg

“How are you?” 

“Fine.” 

It’s the sort of thing we say all the time. Not necessarily because we mean it, but because it’s the easy answer. Often, “fine” is a lie.

It’s that kind of simple, day-to-day falsehood that director Lee Han explores in his new movie, “Elegant Lies.” Based on Kim Ryeo-ryeong’s novel of the same title, “Elegant Lies” explores the turmoil a family goes through after the youngest daughter, Chun-ji, commits suicide. Nobody knows why Chun-ji made such a dreadful decision. But in the aftermath, there is nothing her parents and older sister can do but carry on.

This is Lee’s second time tackling a novel by Kim, following “Punch,” which was the fourth-biggest movie in Korea in 2011. 

“I decided to make a movie out of a Kim story again, after ‘Punch,’ for the people who think this family’s story is as special as I do,” said Lee at a press conference for “Elegant Lies” held at Apgujeong CGV, southern Seoul, on Tuesday. 

Veteran actress Kim Hee-ae plays Chun-ji’s mother, in her first film role in 21 years. “As a mother of two children, I sympathized with the story,” she said. “I think any mother would, at least once in her life, worried about this sort of issue,” said the 46-year-old actress. “And at the same time, it’s also something that can happen with grown-ups. 

“There were moments when I was worried the movie might seem too serious, but the film included a lot of humorous scenes, which kept it lighthearted,” she added.

Ko Ah-sung, the young actress who shot to fame in Bong Joon-ho’s megahit “The Host” (2006) and had an important role in last year’s “Snowpiercer,” played Chun-ji’s older sister, Man-ji. Ko said that she was hesitant about taking the part when she first read the script. “I believe that, to some extent, acting has to be based on real experiences,” she said. “However, because I don’t have such heartbreaking family incidents in my life, I was worried whether I could play Man-ji’s character.” 

But Ko said that she was convinced by the strong cast. It also helped that she has a resemblance to Kim Hyang-gi, who plays Chun-ji.

As for why Ko chose this role, whether it was part of a larger strategy, the young actress said she never planned it. “I mostly rely on my instincts when I choose my next film, instead of approaching with a certain strategy. But the ones with good results tend to be more memorable,” said Ko.

The movie also includes strong supporting roles from actors such as Yoo Ah-in, who was also in Lee’s “Punch.” In the film, Yoo plays a mischievous and jokey guy who lives next door to the family.

“Elegant Lies” opens March 13. 
BY Jin Eun-soo [estyle@joongang.co.kr] | koreajoongangdaily.joins.com

[*]ELEGANT LIES Press Conference Held[*]
[*]by SONG Soon-jin /  Feb 24, 2014 | original source from KOFIC[*]
[*]New Film with KIM Hee-ae and KO Ah-sung Grabs Headlines
[*]KANWClOOYPhwKpxFDiFS.jpg
[*][*]The press conference for upcoming film Elegant Lies was held on February 18th. Elegant Lies is the new movie by director LEE Han, who previously made Lover’s Concerto (2002) and Punch (2011). It is based on a best selling book of the same name, written by KIM Ryeo-ryeong, also the writer of the novel that Punch was based on. The film is a family drama about a mother and her daughter as they struggle to live a new life following the loss of their 14-year-old daughter and sister, but then they learn secrets from the girl’s friends. The film stars KIM Hee-ae who returns to the screen following a long absence since The 101st Proposition in 1993, KO Ah-sung of The Host (2006) and Snowpiercer, and YOO Ah-in of Punch (2011).[*]
[*]
[*]KIM Hee-ae said, “I loved the scenario. I have read the original novel and it is the kind of issue that any mother would be concerned about or could have dealt with in their lives. I was so impressed that I decided to appear in the film.” Meanwhile, KO Ah-sung said, “I was not very confident about my ability to express the character’s feelings and emotions at first, because I haven’t had the same kind of heartbreaking incident in my life. But I really liked the scenario and wanted to give it a shot.”[*]
[*]
[*]When quizzed about adapting another work by the same author, LEE Han said that he chose to do so because “the story was interesting as well as meaningful. In fact I turned down the original story at first because it seemed too difficult. However, it captivated and wouldn’t let go. I finally made up my mind to deliver this story to show people who thought it couldn’t be done.[*]
[*]
[*]Elegant Lies, distributed by CGV Movie College, will be released on the 13th of next month.[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.

‘Elegant Lies’ tackles teen bullying

‘Punch’ director Lee Han makes resounding comeback with new movie

20140226000515_0.jpg
What do you do when your loved one suddenly commits suicide without even leaving a note? What does it mean to lose someone and then replay their last days over and over, searching for clues?

Filmmaker Lee Han, who made a huge breakthrough with his 2011 drama “Punch,” a tale about a rebellious teen whose mother is a migrant from the Philippines, is making a strong comeback with another film about vulnerable teens and their families. Unveiled to the press on Tuesday, the film, titled “Elegant Lies,” succeeds in tackling the difficult issues of teen bullying and suicide with sensitivity ― while remaining a solid family drama.

The cast is almost impeccable. Veteran actress Kim Hee-ae, who has been mostly active in TV drama series, stars as Hyeon-sook, a single mother raising two teenage daughters while working at a big grocery store. Playing Kim’s aloof eldest daughter Man-ji is Ko Ah-sung, who appeared in Bong Joon-ho’s “The Host” and “Snowpiercer.” Teen actress Kim Hyang-gi, who played the bratty child in 2012 fantasy film “A Werewolf Boy,” stars as Man-ji’s younger sister and middle school student Cheon-ji, the protagonist of the film.

Based on author Kim Ryeo-ryeong’s 2009 novel of the same title (Kim is also the writer of “Wandeuk,” which director Lee’s “Punch” was based on), the film begins with Cheon-ji’s abrupt suicide. To Hyeon-sook and Man-ji, Cheon-ji was the sweet child of the family, who rarely complained and studied hard, while always trying to comfort her hard-working, often-weary mother. Struggling with guilt and anger, and not knowing why Cheon-ji chose to kill herself, the two women wonder whether there was something they missed or something they could have said or done.

The film is presented in a non-linear narrative, with flashbacks of Cheon-ji’s past that Hyeon-sook and Man-ji were oblivious to. Cruel acts of teenage bullying fill the screen, including a birthday party where Cheon-ji eats alone while the rest of the girls stay silent; they are in fact sending each other Kakao Talk messages about how pathetic and sad Cheon-ji’s situation is. Socio-economic background also plays a factor. Having a single mother who is financially struggling only makes Cheon-ji more vulnerable to bullying. 

Lee does an impressive job of capturing the cruel side of adolescence as well as the terror of being an outcast while being a teen. Close-ups of Cheon-ji’s helpless face, as well as the ones of her classmates ― all looking uncertain and afraid ― make it hard not to empathize with the characters, even with Hwa-yeon (Kim Yoo-jung), the bully. Teen actress Kim Yoo-jung ― and her almost eerie visage ― is captivating as the troubled, manipulative teenager, who doesn’t get enough attention from her money-driven parents and is convinced that any friendship can be bought.

What’s disappointing is Ko Ah-sung’s performance, whose character learns about the indignity her late sister suffered only after her death. Her acting often lacks consistency and subtlety, particularly in scenes with Kim Yoo-jung, who plays Hwa-yeon. Kim’s memorable performance almost outshines Ko’s.

Kim Hee-ae is excellent as the grieving mother; her performance is understated but somehow believable, touching and honest. Heartthrob Yoo Ah-in, who played the protagonist in “Punch,” has a rather eccentric, flaky supporting role, while Chun Woo-hee, who played the tormented under-aged sexual assault victim in Lee Su-jin’s award-winning debut “Han Gong-ju,” also adds an important layer to the film as the guilt-stricken older sister of one of the young bullies. 

Filled with mystery, drama and sensitivity, the film isn’t hard to watch, but many will find it heartbreaking. 

“Elegant Lies” opens in theaters on March 13. 

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldcorp.com) | original herez

Archived