Ju Jihun 주지훈 - [Upcoming Drama 2024] Dominant Species [Movie 2023] Project Silence [Movie 2023] Ransomed

Admin

*** The Korean Film Promotion Commission reported today that Smugglers has maintained the number one spot at the box office for nine days in a row. The film rapidly gathered 2.5 million viewers within just nine days of its release on July 26th and has already reached around 4 million people, which is half the break-even point. With the weekend approaching, the movie is expected to surpass the 3 million mark. Taking the second spot at the box office is Ransomed. The film has held its ground for two consecutive days since its release on August 2nd. With its impressive rating, it's reported that the movie is on track to surpass Smugglers‘ success this weekend. However, hitting one million viewers by this weekend is vital for the film to break even. Things might change this weekend, as films’ performance on their opening weekends can make or break their success.    :heart4:

source : https://ent.sbs.co.kr/news/article.do?article_id=E10010274949&plink=ORI&cooper=NAVER

*** On Park Myung Soo’s Radio Show, Joo Ji Hoon shared the challenges he encountered while preparing for the movie “Unofficial Operation/Ransomed.” He said: “My character is a taxi driver who picks up passengers in an area with no Asians living. So, I thought my character needed to stand out and have a huge physique so that no one would easily see me as a target.“ However, the sudden weight gain negatively affected his health. He candidly admitted that he had to deal with some side effects from rapidly gaining weight: “It’s not easy to suddenly adjust my weight for the role.“ He mentioned that the continuous cycle of weight gain and loss, combined with natural aging, had negative consequences on his health. He added that he developed immune disorders, leading to issues like gout and tinnitus. After filming, he revealed that he managed to lose about 6 to 7 kg.   :cheers:

joo-ji-hoon-1-0608231.webp

joo-ji-hoon-1-0608232.webp

source : https://kbizoom.com/joo-ji-hoon-admits-to-health-issues-after-gaining-12kg-for-new-role/

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.08.04 ~ 2023.08.06

credit : https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "Smugglers" (밀수) 2023/07/26 937 600 3 535 546
2 "Ransomed" (비공식작전 ) 2023/08/02 440 343 700 128
3 "Elemental"   291 814 6 313 796
4 "The Moon" (더 문) 2023/08/02 184 799 360 919
5 "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"   134 345 3 847 331
6 "Monster Family 2"   37 083 67 039
7 "Detective Conan The Movie: Black Iron Submarine (名探偵コナン 黒鉄の魚影)"   35 188 678 937
8 Barbie   33 414 518 172
9 "My Love" (你的婚礼)   12 597 393 436
10 "Insidious: The Red Door"   10 003 393 316

[Herald Interview] Actor Ju Ji-hoon couldn’t ask for more working with favorite team in ‘Ransomed’

For Ju Ji-hoon, his latest action comedy, “Ransomed,” means something different compared to his previous works because it was a project with two of his favorite colleagues, director Kim Seong-hun and actor Ha Jung-woo.

Ju and Kim have worked together on the global hit Netflix series “Kingdom” and with Ha on another megahit film, “Along with the Gods.”

“For the first time in my acting career, I decided to star in ‘Ransomed’ without even reading the screenplay, based on the deep trust in him (the director) and Ha, who had decided to star in the film before I made my decision. I knew that they are the kind of people who would pour 100 percent into what they commit themselves to,” Ju told The Korea Herald in an interview in Seoul on Aug. 1.

“I would say that we three share similar colors and textures in our personalities,” he added.

“Ransomed” tells the story of a diplomat named Min-jun (Ha) and a local taxi driver named Pan-su (Ju) in Lebanon, the mission of which is to rescue another diplomat. The film was shot in Morocco.

Pan-su, who is mischievous and comes across as a swindler, has led an adventurous life outside Korea. Encountering life-threatening moments with Min-su as they try to evade those attempting to steal the ransom money, Pan-su gradually shows a softer side.

Pan-su’s colorful style, naughty and brash acting could not be more fitting for Ju. But the actor said the more he shoots, the more worries he has about acting.

“It’s inevitable that you have more worries and thoughts as you gain more experience in this field. That sometimes leads you to gain support from it, or sometimes hampers your focus. So it is more like walking a tightrope, balancing between showing realistic acting and expressing joy and emotions to entertain the audience,” Ju said.

The 41-year-old said his friendship with Ha has not only impacted his acting in a positive way but also changed his view on life.

“I often go traveling with Ha -- we’re that close. Not just at shooting locations but also while traveling, he gives me this enlightenment, making me think ‘Wow, that’s how he interpreted it?’ or ‘How come I've never thought about that?’” said Ju.

“The moments I spend with him are truly gift-like,” he added.

Regarding the four Korean tentpole films opening this week, Ju said that the current situation should not be one of competition.

“I even messaged director Kim Yong-hwa this morning, encouraging each other during our travels across the country promoting the film. The current cinema scene is not one where actors and directors compete. It’s as if we were cheering the Korean team to advance to the next round at the World Cup. With that mindset, I truly believe that movies like

‘Ransomed’ should exist for the diversity of the local cinema scene,” he said.

“I hope the audience, when leaving the theater, says that Korean films are not that bad to watch.”

“Ransomed” opened in local cinemas on Aug. 2.

By Kim Da-sol (ddd@heraldcorp.com)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230807000528&np=1&mp=1

*** Ju Ji Hoon will have a television comeback for "Shop of the Lamp", ""Dominant Species", and "The Trauma Code: Heroes On Call". The last (2) are both in the works, and are expected to be released within the year.   :heart4:

ju-ji-hoon.png?w=820

photo source : Kdramastars

'Ransomed' sells to 103 countries

Main poster for ″Ransomed″ [SHOWBOX]

Main poster for ″Ransomed″ [SHOWBOX]

“Ransomed,” starring Ha Jung-woo and Ju Ji-hoon, has been sold to 103 countries, distributor Showbox announced Tuesday.

“Ransomed,” which opened in domestic theaters last Wednesday, tells the story of Min-joon and Pan-soo, each played by Ha and Ju, who go on an adventure to deliver a ransom to rescue a kidnapped diplomat.

The film has been sold not only to Asian countries such as Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan and Vietnam but also to Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, India and others, according to Showbox.

“Ransomed” opened on Friday in North America and is opening on Wednesday in the Philippines, followed by opening dates in other countries.

“Ransomed” is directed by Kim Seong-hun, who directed “A Hard Day” (2014), “Tunnel” (2016) and “Kingdom: Ashin of the North” (2021). 

BY LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr]

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/08/08/entertainment/movies/Korea-Ransomed-Ha-Jungwoo/20230808101343750.html

7 K-Dramas With Swoon-Worthy Crown Princes That Are Worth Watching

Fairytales have long spun a yarn of the handsome prince, the knight-in-shining armor who slays with his charm and valor.

K-dramas too have given us several crown princes who are intelligent, quick-witted, and accomplished fighters but are also very real when it comes to expressing their emotions, never shying away from owning their true self. Here’s a look at seven K-dramas with swoon-worthy crown princes that are worth the watch.

“Kingdom”

joo-ji-hoon-kingdom-2.jpg

Crown Prince Lee Chang (Joo Ji Hoon) is curious about his father, who, according to rumors, has died. However, the young and pregnant queen and her father don’t want Lee Chang to ascend the throne since his mother was a concubine and not the queen. As a strange disease breaks out in the kingdom, Lee Chang suspects that his dead father might have turned into a flesh-eating zombie. Can Lee Chang save the day for his people and his kingdom?

“Kingdom” is a riveting and gripping thriller. Joo Ji Hoon’s Lee Chang is a far cry from his dashing character Crown Prince Lee Shin in “Princess Hours,” but he portrays the valiant crown prince giving his best shot as he wrestles between an apocalypse and his own turbulent emotions.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

***  K-Pop music has become more and more popular because of their catchy tunes and entertaining dance moves. All over the world, people enjoy music and entertainment from the Korean industry. I'm sure if you love K-pop, then you will also love songs and soundtracks from K-drama. I have many songs and soundtracks that I may want to listen to. Like the song in "Jirisan" sang by BTS Jin titled "Yours". This is one of the songs, which is in my mobile phone.  Yours for "Jirisan" certainly hit the top of the charts when it came out. It went viral on many streaming and music apps, but it also landed in the top 50 of Billboard Japan's top downloads too. It was the first Korean solo to ever find a spot there. His vocals gives me the shivers and the song pulls on my emotions for every last note.   :heart3:

[Box office] Movies in theaters this week

“Ransomed”

(South Korea)

Opened Aug. 2

Adventure/Action

Directed by Kim Seong-hun

A diplomat named Min-jun (Ha Jung-woo) and a local taxi driver named Pan-su (Ju Ji-hoon) are on a mission to rescue a fellow diplomat, with a bag full of cash to trade with local gangsters for the hostage’s release.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230810000762&np=1&mp=1

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.08.11 ~ 2023.08.13

1 "Concrete Utopia" (콘크리트 유토피아) 2023/08/09 1 129 649 1 546 191
2 "Smugglers" (밀수) 2023/07/26 425 405 4 355 425
3 "Elemental"   192 834 6 645 577
4 "Ransomed" (비공식작전) 2023/08/02 125 410 981 454
5 "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"   61 258 3 962 952
6 "The Moon" (더 문) 2023/08/02 50 582 483 829
7 "Detective Conan The Movie: Black Iron Submarine" (名探偵コナン 黒鉄の魚影)   26 357 730 865
8 "Octonauts: Above and Beyond – Season 2"   23 841 39 651
9 "Barbie"   18 523 555 766
10 "Running Man: Revengers" (런닝맨: 리벤져스) 2023/08/10 18 247 25 532

‘Smugglers,’ ‘Concrete Utopia’ score at box office while 'The Moon' is a bust

Homegrown blockbuster films are vying for viewers this summer, with their distributors hoping to see consecutive releases bring back moviegoers.

But moviegoers’ taste for “something new” over impressive visuals and star-studded casting have determined the fate of major film releases.

Meanwhile, two other summer films -- “Ransomed” and “The Moon” -- are box office bombs. Press reviews and viewer responses described a strong sense of deja vu in the plots, which undermined their big budgets and high production values.

“Ransomed,” set in Lebanon, stars the familiar duo of Ha Jung-woo and Ju Ji-hoon from “Along with the Gods,” this time playing men on a mission to rescue a fellow diplomat. Despite the film’s exotic setting and action-packed storyline,

“Ransomed” failed to overcome the jaded audiences’ disappointment in the all-too-familiar plot.

“Ransomed” attracted 981,488 moviegoers after its release on Aug. 2.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230815000161

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2023.08.18 ~ 2023.08.20

1 "Oppenheimer"   773 080 1 591 845
2 "Concrete Utopia" (콘크리트 유토피아) 2023/08/09 480 587 2 790 855
3 "Honey Sweet" (달짝지근해: 7510) 2023/08/15 245 150 457 054
4 "Smugglers" (밀수) 2023/07/26 144 469 4 776 802
5 "Elemental"   106 178 6 906 451
6 "Meg 2: The Trench"   40 270 98 053
7 "A Man of Reason" (보호자) 2023/08/15 35 146 102 214
8 "Ransomed" (비공식작전) 2023/08/02 11 631 1 041 850
9 "Octonauts: Above and Beyond - Season 2"   11 007 69 558
10 "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One"   8 777 4 000 579

K-Dramas Of 2023 Based On Webtoon - Confirmed to air in 2023

46. "Shop Of The Lamp" / Schedule Status: TBA

The webtoon "Shop Of The Lamp" (in Korean "조명가게") by Kang Full was announced to be adapted into a drama. This webtoon is a horror and thriller genre, depicting strange things happening there against the backdrop of a dark, remote lighting shop away from the village. Strangers visit the lighting shop in a deserted place every day. Those who keep hovering around the store as if trying to say something eventually turn around without leaving any words.

shopofthemap_picture.jpg

"Shop Of The Lamp" by Kang Full on KAKAO / SeolHyun's Instagram / Netflix

SeolHyun and Ju JiHoon are part of the casting.

Check out an introduction to the webtoon here.

Webtoon links: Korean / Not officially available in English.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/38-dramas-of-2023-based-on-webtoon-confirmed/

Action Korean Dramas

From Squid Games and Mr. Sunshine to Descendants of the Sun, keep scrolling to find an assortment of the top 21 testosterone fueling Korean action dramas that will definitely keep you hooked.

When it comes to Korean dramas and Korean television series, action, and romance have to be some of the most watched genres. Yes, romantic K dramas might take away all the limelight, but there comes a time when you are bored of mushy romantic stuff and you want to watch some brilliant action sequence with a tactful tale. Regardless of age, gender, or time, action dramas have been a complete source of entertainment. That is precisely why, this time we have curated a perfect curation of iconic action Korean dramas that are so much more than just action sequences. Each enlisted movie has a masculine vibe to it, that uses action as a strategically exciting tool to reveal the larger narrative with a deeper impact that will give you the adrenaline rush of a lifetime. Not only that, a good action drama adds more depth to a story’s character. 

From action sequences where actors playing lawyers are willing to get their fists dirty in order to release details about a case to historical dramas where kings fight their way to the top, we have enlisted the best of action Korean dramas all listed according to their IMDb ratings. Not just that, we have also added all the action movies along with other important details including, their year of release, star cast, director, writer, and plot to help you decide if it's actually worth your time in just a quick glance. Furthermore, we have also added posters or trailers of Korean dramas. So what are you waiting for? Scroll below to find an assortment of the top 21 action Korean dramas that will keep you on the edge of your seats.

Top 21 Action K dramas listed according to their IMDb ratings:

5. Kingdom (2019– )

• Running Time: 45 min
  • Movie Genre: Action, Drama, Horror
  • Movie Star Cast: Ju Ji hoon, Bae Doona, Kim Sungkyu, Kim Hye jun
  • Director: Seong Hun Kim, In je Park
  • Writer: Eun hee Kim
  • Year of release: 2019
  • Where to Watch / OTT Platform: Netflix
  • IMDb Rating: 8.3/10

The show features the best of Ju Ji Hoon, Bae Doona, Kim Sungkyu, and Kim Hye jun. When it comes to the plot it revolves around a prince who protects his kingdom from a mysterious plague. The show is available on Netflix to stream. 

(skipped unrelated......)

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/action-korean-dramas-1237447

*** I've watched his movie "Gentleman".  More than the first half of the story is told in a flashback, after it has already been revealed that Hyun-soo (Ju Ji Hun) has assumed the prosecutor's identity. And there are plenty of twists and turns. The movie is good, it’s just that towards the end, the movie relies too much on set pieces which wouldn't have been necessary. "Gentleman" could have been better. That’s why, towards the end, "Gentleman" loses some of its steam. I simply accept them with a shrug, though. I love the beginning of the flick, when Hyeon-soo aimlessly did some investigative work with a little doggy at his side, that steals the show often enough.  :Twerkdatbutt:

• 2 weeks later...

*** On September 8th, the South Korean streaming platform Coupang Play revealed that the recent film "Ransomed" would be available for free from September 15th to September 17th. The drama will be made free to watch via the CPlay Club reward, which offers various short-term perks to users of the service.   :kisslevel:

photo1711290.jpg

credit : William Schwartz