Joo Jinmo 주진모

wolanah

Guest anjshin

@minnie0103: congrats dear for seeing the movie 200 pounds beauty... It's my ultimate Korean romcom favorite.  :D:P I watch it every time I'm missing SangJun.  :P :> @sarah.lina @DingLin @starrjjmoon: thanks for sharing the items,. indeed he is a drop dead gorgeous. :-*

Guest lorac

About JJM saying, "Yeah I didn't know. If I did, I would have prepared a better acceptance speech."
I had read a transcript of his acceptance speech and it seemed full of humor and had a way of bringing the whole story of the shaman and the white shorts back to the original point that he was making, and I though was quite brilliant. Don't remember where I read it... anyone else read that?

Ok @anjshin has started it, one of joo jin mo fan has translated many interviews of Joo Jin Mo, thanks to @chungy for that :
[There were all released just before and a little after the release of a Frozen Flower]

- Article #1

Found two recent articles:

주진모 ‘탈난 毛’ 영화 ‘쌍화점’ 촬영 후유증 고생
전체 머리카락의 반 이상을 뒤덮은 하얀 새치, 탈모증 그리고 12kg의 체중감량.

영 화 ‘쌍화점’(감독 유하·제작 오퍼스픽쳐스)을 촬영하면서 주진모가 겪었던 상황이다. 촬영을 하면서 심한 스트레스와 부담으로 인한 후유증을 겪은 것이다. 이제 한두 작품을 출연한 신인도 아닌 그가 촬영에서 이렇게 부담을 느낀 적은 전에는 없었다.

주진모는 ‘쌍화점’에서 비운의 왕 역을 맡았다. 가장 총애하는 신하에게 왕비와 동침할 것을 명령해야 하는 고뇌와 슬픔, 질투를 표현해야 했다.

주진모는 인터뷰에서 “촬영 도중 새치가 온 머리를 덮어 염색을 했다. 스트레스가 심했는지 탈모까지 있었다”고 고백했다.

주진모는 또한 감독이 얼굴의 미세한 근육까지 입체감이 있어야 한다고 요구해 체중을 12kg 감량해 6개월 동안 촬영에 나섰다.

그는 “유 감독님이 ‘개봉한 후 관객 앞에 설 때까지 그 체중을 유지했으면 좋겠다’고 말해 촬영이 끝난 지금도 12kg나 빠진 몸매를 유지하고 있다”며 웃었다.
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...mp;newssetid=83

Nearly half of all the hair was white, turing grey, or falling out and I lost 12 kgs (~25 lbs)
This was the situation that Joo Jin Mo had to deal with during the filming of 'Frozen Flower'.
During filming, there was alot of stress and pressure, and I am still dealing with the aftermath.
Even though he's not a rookie movie actor, he never had to deal with the pressure before.

Joo Jin Mo took the whole as the King in 'Frozen Flower'. He had to act sadness, suffering and jealously all at once.

Joo Jin Mo at an interview "During filming, I had grey hairs coming that I had to die my whole head black. The stress of the role was so severe, that I even had some hair loss."

The Director even wanted him to lose all that "microscopic" muscle on his face, that he lost a total of 12kgs in six months.

Joo Jin Mo said "Director You wants me to keep this form till the movie comes out and even after when people are watching the movie. Even now, I'm still keeping off this weight."

- Joo Jin Mo "The level of homosexuality? It was up to the director."

[스타 AtoZ]주진모 “동성애 수위? 감독님 손에 달렸죠”

참으로 소탈한 사람이다. 화제작 ‘쌍화점’(감독 유하)의 주인공 주진모는 조각 같은 외모보다 솔직담백한 남자다운 성격이 더욱 매력적이었다. 지난해 영화 ‘사랑’을 통해 배우로서 재평가받은 주진모는 ‘쌍화점’에서 연기의 정점을 보여준다. 동성애, 애증과 질투 등 드라마틱한 감정의 파노라마를 선보일 예정이다. 연기일생 최고의 도전이었던 역할의 후유증에서 아직 빠져나오지 못한 주진모의 속내를 들어보았다.

Actor(배우)=시 나리오를 처음 받았을 때 배우로서 정말 놓칠 수 없는 역할이라는 생각이 들었어요. 매우 어려운 역할이어서 출연을 결정하는 데 용기가 필요했어요. 동성애가 문제가 되지 않았어요. 표현해야 할 감정들이 너무 섬세하고 다양해 내가 부족해 놓치거나 제대로 표현해놓지 못하면 어떻게 할까 고민됐죠. 그러나 놓치면 후회할 것 같더라고요. 그냥 제 본능을 믿고 뛰어들었어요.

Bed Scene(베드신)=조인성과 베드신을 찍었느냐고요? 하하하. 왜 그것에 관심이 집중되는지 모르겠네요. 예고편을 보면 이부자리에 함께 누워있잖아요! 수위요? 글쎄요. 아직 완성된 영화를 못봐서 어떻게 화면에 표현될지 모르겠어요. 배우들이 감독님을 믿고 용기를 냈다고만 말씀드리고 싶어요.

Diet(다이어트)=감독님이 촬영 전 말라 보였으면 좋겠다고 말씀하셔 10㎏ 정도 감량을 했어요. 겹겹이 입은 영화속 의상들 때문에 별로 티가 나지는 않아요. 주름살이 늘었다고요? 나이 때문인지 살을 빼니 주름살이 많이 생기더라고요. 그러나 이제 청춘 스타가 아닌 이상 별로 신경 쓰지 않아요. 주름살은 남자배우에게 멋진 훈장이라고 생각해요.

Excitement(자극)=조인성에게 라이벌 의식 안느꼈냐고요? 하하하. 인성이는 후배지만 정말 좋은 배우예요. 촬영 내내 기분 좋은 자극을 주었죠. 늘 내 자신을 채찍질하게 해주었어요. 왕후 역을 맡은 송지효도 정말 영화를 보면 놀라실 거예요. 이제까지의 모습은 다 잊게 해줄 거예요. 훌륭한 후배들과 일하면서 많은 걸 배우고 깨달았어요.

Focus(포 커스)=영화가 공개되지 않아 현재 시점에서는 조인성이 맡은 홍림이 극을 이끌어가는 것으로 보이는 거 알아요. 하지만 이 영화는 누구 하나가 앞에 나서는 영화가 아니에요. 세 인물의 팽팽한 감정대립으로 진행되죠. 영화를 보는 사람에 따라 보는 시각이 각각 나뉠 것 같아요.

Love(사랑)=나이에 맞지 않다고 해도 전 아직도 운명적인 사랑을 믿어요. 여전히 사랑에 있어서는 소년 같은 마음을 갖고 있어요. 처음 만났을 때 심장이 떨리고 눈도 못쳐다볼 정도의 느낌이 와야 한다고 생각해요. 나이가 아무리 들어도 이 생각은 변하지 않을 듯해요.

Prize(상)=이제까지 상과 저는 전혀 인연이 없어요. 신인상도 받지 못했어요. 시상식에 한번도 가본 적이 없어 이제까지 턱시도를 입어본 적이 없어요. 언젠가 저도 시상식에 갈 날이 생기겠죠 뭐. 하하하. ‘쌍화점’을 통해 바라는 건 상이나 흥행이 아니에요. 관객 숫자로만 우리 영화를 평가할 수 없다고 생각해요. 그냥 관객들로부터 “주진모가 이제 배우의 냄새가 나는구나”라는 소리를 듣고 싶어요.

Youth(젊음)=남자 배우가 나이를 들어간다는 건 즐거운 일이에요. 이제 삼십대 중반이 됐지만 여전히 마음은 21살이에요. 나이가 쉰이 돼도 똑같을 것 같아요. 나이는 숫자에 불과하다고 생각해요. 마음은 20대고 경험은 40~50대면 연기의 스펙트럼이 넓어져 좋은 연기를 펼칠 수 있을 것 같아요.

Wish(희망)=요즘 모두가 힘든 상황이지만 꾸준히 새로운 도전을 할 수 있는 역할을 만나고 싶어요. 언젠가는 한번 아주 평범한 소시민 역할을 꼭 해보고 싶어요. 외모 때문에 안어울릴 것 같다고요? 하하하. 그런 편견을 깨나가는 게 배우의 몫이죠.

[starA-Z] Joo Jin Mo "The level of homosexuality? It was up to the director."

He is a very informal person. "Frozen Flower" star actor Joo Jin Mo, rather than his good-looks, his honesty and manliness are more of his turn-ons. Last year he appeared in "Love" where he was established as a movie actor, and now in "Frozen Flower" he will show more positives. Homosexuality, love and jealousy; he will show a panorama of these feelings in this movie. Of his acting history, this is the best challenge, and Joo Jin Mo is still in the aftermath of his role.

Actor = After receiving the script, as an actor, this was one of those roles that I did not want to give up. This was a very difficult role, and accepting this role required alot of courage. It wasn't because of the issue of homosexuality. The feelings that I had to portray, I thought at sometimes whether I could portray them well enough. However, I knew if I didn't accept this role, I would regret it forever. I just trusted my impulsivity.

Bed Scene = I filmed a bed scene with Jo In Sung? (Laugh) I don't know why people are so focus on that. In the previews, we are just in the same bed! The level? (I think he was saying the level of R-latedness). Hmmm. I haven't seen the complete version of the film, so I don't know how it will be seen on the screen. We actors just trusted the director and followed his demands.

Diet = The director wanted me to look thin for this film, that I lost around 10kgs. However, because of the think costumes I had to wear, it isn't that obvious. I have alot of wrinkles. I don't know if it's because of my age or whether it is because of this weight loss that I have gotten wrinkles. However, I am not one of those teen-stars anymore, so I don't care about getting wrinkles. I think that wrinkles are cool decorations that male actors must have.

Excitment = Did you ever feel in competition (rival) with Jo In Sung? (Laugh). Even though In Sung is my inferior, he is a really good actor. Throughout filming, there were good impulses. He always made me feel encouraged. Even Song Ji Hyo in the movie will surprise you. The previous judgements you have of her should be forgotten. I worked with very proud inferiors, and I learned alot.

Focus = Because the film hasn't been released, alot of peopel think that movie is about Jo In Sung's character. However this film is not about one character. It's about three people having strong feelings. Depending on who is watching the film, everyone is going to have a different opinion.

Love = Even thought I'm old, I still believe in destiny when it comes to love. Like before, I have a youthful feeling when it comes to love. I think that meeting someone for the first time, that heart racing and the extent where I cannot even look at her eyes, I think love needs to have that feeling. Even though I am getting older, I still think like this.

Prize = Even up till now, there is so relation between me and prizes. I never even gotten the Rookie of the Year award. I never been to an awards ceremony or worn a suit (I thought he went to a couple last year???). But I do think one day will come? (Laughs). I don't really want a prize for 'Frozen Flower' or good attendance. I believe that just by looking at the numbers of movie watchers, you cannot judge the movie based on that. I just want people to watch the movie and say "Joo Jin Mo now has the scent of an actor".

Youth = As male actors get older, I think that it is more exciting. Even though I am in my mid-thirties, I feel like I am 21. Even if I'm 50, I still think that way. Age is nothing but a number. If you feel 20, and you have a 40-50 year spectrum of acting experience, I think you will be a great actor.

Wish = These days everyone is facing difficulties but I want to be able to face new challenges and roles. I really want to play a "lower class citizen" role once. Because of my looks it won't fit me well?? (Laughs). I want to break that stereotype, and I think that's an actor's job.

- Some others infos

i'll give a break down of the episode today..
the theme was korean movies and how last month, there was a huge increase in movie ticket sales because of "frozen flower" and "speedy scandal" which starred Cha Tae Hyun.

first off, Park Joong Hoon (the host of the show) said that it was akward speaking to the guest today because he's friends with them both and that they are opposites to their real-life self. Park said "Joo Jin Mo acts so humble and calm on TV, but I see him quiet frequently and he talks too much and plays alot of pranks on ppls."

they talked about alot of things, can't remember exact details (i'm going to watch it again later)...but here are a few funny parts

- Park praise Joo Jin Mo for his bravery to film a movie like Frozen Flower. When asked about the love scenes with Jo In Sung. JJM replied "The kiss scene with Jo In Sung was one of the first scenes we filmed in the summer. Before the movie started, I was very close with InSung. However, for the scene, we both got really nervous. We asked Director Yoo if we could just show a simplistic homosexual love scene, but the director wanted a deep kiss to show viewers how deep their love is. That day they woke up at 6am, and had to rehearse, but the actually shooting didn't take place till 3pm. Both of them were only in their bathrobes and were very nervous. So they got a bottle of whiskey from Director Yoo's car and drank two shots straight each and had some dried squid with it. Park laughed and said that "whiskey is sorta strong to drink straight". JJM replied "after that, everything was sorta a blur and I saw InSung as a woman."

- Park asked what did his friends think of the movie. JJM said "There is actually one funny episode with Jang Dong Gun, who is one of my close friends. The day before the VIP premiere, Jang and I met and talk and were like our normal selves. He came to the premiere and then afterwards I went over to his house. Normally, when I go over, we used to sit on the sofa and it was fine. But that day, when I sat next to Jang, he slowly stood up and started avoiding me." Park said "probably just joking."

- It was revealed that Cha Tae Hyun and Joo Jin Mo have known each other for a while, and that JJM finds it easy to talk to him. But JJM revealed some jealously. JJM in his earlier years had success but around 3 years of failures, where every movie he got casted in fell through because of withdrawal of production money. JJM said that during those years, he had alot of ppls around him that were successful. When Cha's 'My Sassy Girl' was a big hit, Cha was introduced into a group of movie stars's sporting club (I assume baseball). Before then, JJM was the youngest but as Cha came in, Cha was the youngest. And because Cha was so famous because of the movie alot of ppls recognized him and not JJM. JJM remembered once when around 10 movie stars went drinking and was about to go home, alot of the designated drivers (like taxi drivers) picked up the other stars and didn't take him. JJM said that its curosity to let his seniors go first, but after that he fell asleep on the street. He woke up and was sleeping next to a garbage can. THe fact that no one from the bar woke him up and no one on the street recognized him, he felt upset. But Cha joked and said "good thing no one recognized you then".

- During a recording break (which was so funny they had to show on tv), Park pulled out a water bottle from under his chair and started drinking. JJM was shocked and said "hey! i was drinking the water from the cup on the table this whole time, how come you drink something different?" Park replied "you have one under your chair too!" JJM said "what's the difference? is mine tap water?" THen Park said "wow, you are really picky". JJM then said that he's not used to being on TV and that he's not used to the cameras. He envied Cha who spoke so clearly and knew which camera to look at. (JJM did stutter alot).

- He doesn't have a girlfriend, but he did say that he once loved a girl for 5 years and after that never met anyone. JJM said that he likes being alone and likes to go fishing. Cha joked and said "that's why you don't have gf".

I can't think of anymore right now.

- Joo Jin Mo "For the Baek-Sang Awards, I wore white underwear"

주진모 “‘백상예술대상’ 흰색 팬티 입고 있었다”
[일간스포츠] 2009년 03월 01일(일) 오후 05:46 가 가| 이메일| 프린트

[JES 김범석] 배우 주진모가 '쌍화점'으로 제45회 백상예술대상 시상식에서 영화부문 최우수연기상을 받은 뒤 흰색 팬티와의 인연을 공개했다.

주 진모는 27일 밤 시상식 직후 소속사에서 마련한 뒤풀이 자리에서 "올해 초 토정비결을 봤는데 군중들 앞에서 박수받을 일이 많을 거라는 점괘가 나왔다"면서 "데뷔 11년 만에 백상 무대에서 최우수연기상을 받아 만감이 교차했고 점괘가 적중해 신통했다"고 말했다.

그는 "당시 점괘에 흰색이나 노란색 속옷을 입어야 복이 들어온다고 해 시상식 당일 한번도 입지 않은 새 흰색 팬티를 입고 집을 나섰다. 오늘 팬티한테 고맙다"고 말해 주위를 파안대소케 했다. 노란색 팬티를 사려고 속옷 매장을 찾았던 사연도 공개했다.

주진모는 "매장에서 노란색 속옷을 찾자 점원이 이상한 눈초리로 쳐다봐 잠시 민망한 적도 있었다"면서 "결국 노란색 대신 흰색 팬티 여러 벌을 구입해 집에 쌓아놓았다"며 웃었다. 독특한 취향을 의심받았다는 설명이었다.

그는 "올해 금전운 보다 명예운이 많이 따를 것이라는데 연초부터 이렇게 좋은 일이 생겨 너무 기쁘고 감사하다. 차기작에서 군복을 입으면 대박이라는 말도 나왔는데 왠지 그냥 흘려들어선 안 될 것 같다"며 미소 지었다.

1999년 영화 '댄스댄스'로 데뷔한 주진모는 흥행 운이 따르지 않는 대표적인 배우였지만, '미녀는 괴로워'(06)를 기점으로 해 '사랑'(07) '쌍화점'(08)에서 뛰어난 연기력을 선보이며 결국 백상 최고의 영예를 안았다.

Joo Jin Mo "For the Baek-Sang Awards, I wore white underwear"

Actor JJM, who won the Best Actor (Movie) at this year's Baek Sang Awards revealed that he wore white underwear. On the 27th, after the awards ceremony, his agency threw him a party. He said "Earlier this year, I went to see my Yearly Horoscope, and the fortune teller said that I will have alot of experience standing in front of a crowd and getting applauded. It's been 11 years since my debut and my first Best Actor awards, it feels like the fortune teller was true."

He continued "The fortune teller said that I have to wear either White or Yellow underwear to get lucky. I never wore white underwear but for this year's awards, I wore a brand new pair! I thank my underwear. He even revealed how akward it was to find yellow underwear "I went to the store and asked for yellow underwear and the people were giving me weird stares and I was embarassed. So I just bought many pairs of white underwear which is in piles at my house. Also of ppls are suspicious that I have some weird habit."

"I very happy right now. The fortune teller also told me that if I wear army clothing there will be another success, but I'm not taking that seriously."

I think I'm going to mail him a bunch of nice underwear!

Good Reading... :D @Ding Lin this is for you too

- Joo Jin Mo "I felt like I acted like I was stripped."

주진모는 '쌍화점'을 찍으면서 부끄러웠다. 그의 말을 빌리자면 유하 감독 앞에서 발가벗겨진 것 같았다고 한다.

1999 년 '해피엔드'로 얼굴을 알린 뒤 10년이란 세월 동안 연기를 해왔다. 연기에 자신이 있지만 이번에 자존심을 버리고 임했다. 하루에 한 갑을 피우던 담배도 어느새 세 갑으로 늘었다. 길게 담배 연기를 내뿜을 때마다 연기에 대한 고뇌는 더욱 늘어갔다.

주 진모는 '쌍화점'(감독 유하, 제작 오퍼스 픽쳐스. 30일 개봉)에서 고려시대 왕 역할을 맡았다. '쌍화점'은 고려 말 남색에 빠졌던 공민왕의 일화를 바탕으로 한 영화다. 카리스마가 넘치지만 정작 안타까운 사랑을 할 수밖에 없는 여린 심성을 가지고 있다.

'미녀는 괴로워'로 다시 톱 배우의 대열에 올랐지만 지독한 남자를 이야기한 '사랑' 그리고 이제 사극 '쌍화점'을 선택했다. 대중적인 영화를 선택할 법했지만 그는 다른 욕심을 갖고 작품을 찾았다.

그는 "작품성과 대중성을 모두 인정받고 싶다. 배우 주진모에게 시나리오를 줘도 되겠다는 배우로서의 인정을 받고 싶다"고 말한다. 그의 마라톤은 아직 진행형이다.

-'미녀는 괴로워' 흥행 이후에 '사랑' '쌍화점'까지 의외의 선택이었다. 좀 더 발랄하고 대중적인 영화를 선택할 거라고 생각했는데.

▶데뷔 때 꽃미남이란 이야기를 들으면서 드라마, 미니 시리즈 제의를 많이 받았다. 하지만 역으로 김기덕 감독의 '실제상황' 같이 개인적으로 도움이 될 수 있는 작품을 택했다. 대중들이 원하는 연기만 하는 것은 자신이 없다.

-'쌍화점'은 동성애자 왕이라는 설정이다. 선택이 쉽지 않았을 것 같은데.

▶ 처음 시나리오를 받았을 때 '시대극이네', '동성애적 면이 있네' 라고 생각했다. 시나리오를 끝까지 읽고 동성애 부분에 대해 깊이 생각하지 않았다. 무엇보다 한 인간이 변해가는 과정을 보여준다는 점이 끌렸다. 부담감은 있었지만 연출자가 해결해줄 것으로 믿었다.

'쌍화점'은 상업성과 작품성을 모두 갖추고 있는 작품이다. 한국에서 톱배우는 인지도와 스타성을 모두 갖춰야한다. 저는 그런 배우가 아니기 때문에 작품을 선택하고 싶어도 인지도와 스타성이 떨어진다고 판단해 캐스팅 안 된 작품도 있었다. 자존심 상하는 일도 많았다.

이 작품을 통해 그런 부분을 인정받아 주진모라면 이 시나리오를 줘도 된다는 인정을 받고 싶다.

-드라마 '슬픈 유혹'에서도 동성애자를 연기했었는데.

▶솔직히 이성애자다. 동성애 영화나 드라마에 의도적으로 출연한 것은 아니다. 작품 선택을 할 때 시나리오나 대본에 어떤 메시지가 있나를 본다. 당시에도 전하려는 메시지가 마음에 들었다.

-항간에는 '쌍화점'이 주진모 영화라는 이야기도 있다.

▶ 배우는 이기주의자이기 때문에 모두들 자기가 많이 나와야 된다고 생각한다. 그런 점에서 감독님이 배우들이 서로 섭섭하지 않게 배려를 많이 한 것 같다. 물론 관객들이 극중 한 배우에게 관심을 가질 수 있다. '쌍화점'은 인물들 간에 조화가 잘된 작품이다. 극중 왕은 영화의 중심을 잡아주는 역할이다.

-기존 사극에서 볼 수 있던 왕과 차이점이 있을 것 같은데.

▶ 우리나라 사극에서 왕 캐릭터는 전형화 되어 있다. '쌍화점'의 왕이 그랬다면 못한다고 했을 거다. '쌍화점'의 제일 큰 장점은 왕의 다른 면을 볼 수 있다는 점이다. 가령 왕은 한 기업의 CEO다. 직원들 앞에서는 정돈된 모습을 보여주겠지만 집에서 안 그러지 않을까? 인간의 변화하는 모습을 볼 수 있다.

-유하 감독이 특별히 요구한 것이 있었나?
▶특별히 요구한 것은 없었다. 다른 영화와 달랐던 점은, 지금까지 영화는 촬영이 끝난 후에 개인적인 생활을 하면서 시간을 보냈지만 '쌍화점'은 촬영 후에도 긴장을 하면서 잠잘 때까지도 캐릭터에서 벗어나지 않게 노력했다. 유하 감독님은 지금까지 몰랐던 주진모의 얼굴을 새롭게 발견해줬다.

극중 왕은 감정의 기복이 심하다. 감독님이 주문했던 것은 '인물에서 나오지 마라, 너의 눈을 보면 안다'였다. 가령 인성이와 내가 스케줄 때문에 서울에 갔다 오면 달라진 감성이 얼굴에 확 드러났다. 감독님은 다시 그 캐릭터에 몰입할 때까지 시간을 충분히 주고 촬영에 임했다.

-유하 감독이 촬영 중에 금주령을 내렸다는 이야기도 있었는데.

▶술을 마시지 말라고 한 적은 없었다. 지치고 힘들 때 소주 한 잔을 마신 적이 있다. 그런데 다음날 몰입했던 왕의 모습과 연결이 안 되는 것이다. 물론 감독님도 알아차렸다. 술은 캐릭터에서 벗어나지 않기 위해 안 마셨었다.

이 영화는 다른 영화보다 촬영기간이 두 배 정도 더 길었다. 탈모도 생겼었다. 감독님 왈 '배우가 고통스러워야 관객들이 즐거워한다. 지금의 고통이 관객을 몇 년 즐겁게 한다'고 말했다.

-조인성과 호흡은 어땠나? 조인성이 제작보고회에서 주진모 액션의 각을 강조해 눈길을 끌었다.

▶ 조인성과 영화 촬영 전부터 술 한 잔 하는 사이다. 사극은 '비천무' '무사'에 이어 세 번째다. 하지만 기존의 작품과는 동작이 전혀 달랐다. '무사'가 살기 위해 몸부림치는 액션이라면 '쌍화점'은 내가 믿는 사람에게 칼을 겨누는 감성으로 접근해야 했다. 인성이가 내가 합류하기 몇 달 전부터 액션연습을 했기 때문에 도리어 많이 보고 배웠다.

-'쌍화점'에서 가장 화제를 모으는 것은 조인성과 베드신 수위의 여부다.

▶영화 촬영 전에 '쌍화점'이 동성애 영화로 보도가 됐다. 베드신 여부는 중요하지 않다. 극중의 장면은 왕과 홍림(조인성 분) 감정의 깊이를 보여주기 위한 장치다. 동성애 베드신에 초점을 안 맞췄으면 좋겠다.

본격적인 홍보를 하기 이전에 '동성애 영화'로 언론에 보도가 나간 것을 보고 부모님이 도리어 이 부분에 대해 물어왔다. 오히려 그런 부분에서 개인적으로 피해를 본 편이다.

촬영을 할 때에도 그 장면은 모니터를 하지 않았다. 물론 어떤 마음으로 연기를 했는가는 알지만 카메라가 어떤 방향에서 잡혔는지에 대한 것들은 알지 못한다. 최대한 감성이 얼굴에 드러나는 게 중요하다고 생각했다.

-'쌍화점'을 통해 얻은 게 있다면?
▶ 배우라면 자만심이 있을 수 있지만 유하 감독님 앞에서 초등학생 같았다. 자존심을 없애고 발가벗겨진 기분으로 다시 시작하니 답이 보였다. 새로운 연기방식을 느꼈다. 유하 감독님은 배우를 많이 관찰한다. 그리고 감정이 올라오기까지 눈을 바라본다. 배우한테 끊임없이 관심이 있기에 가능한 것이다.

-다음에도 새롭게 연기 변신을 시도할 생각인지.

Joo Jin Mo "I felt like I acted like I was stripped." (Weird translation I know...)

While filming 'Frozen Flower', JJM was very shy. This is because he felt bare in front of Director Yoo.

In 1999, JJM debuted with 'Happy End', and been acting for 10 years. While he has confidence in his acting, this is the first time where he surrendered his pride. He used to smoke one pack a day, now he smokes more, 3 packs (!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Every time he extends his smoking habit, his seriousness in acting becomes greater.

In 'Frozen Flower', JJM is a Koryo dynasty king. His charisma is overwhelming, but he has alot of feelings of his unfortunate love.

After '200lb Beauty', he was put as one of Korea's top actors, then he was in 'A Love', and now a historic film. He used to do films that appealed to the general public, however JJM had a different greed and tried to find different roles.

He said "The appeal of the project (movie) and the appeal to the public, I want acceptance from both views. I want people to see me and say that 'He's worth giving scenario/scripts to'."

Q: After the success of "200lb Beauty', it was obvious you would choose a movie like "A Love" afterwards. However, I thought you would choose another film similar to those that would appear to the general public.

JJM: Since my debut, I always heard I was a "pretty boy" and I got alot of drama and movie roles to fit those characters. However, after Kim Ki Duk's "Real Fiction", I wanted to choose more roles that would help my acting personally. I dont' have confidence on always acting in roles that appeal to the public.

Q: In 'Frozen Flower', you play a homosexual King. That's not an easy role to pick.

JJM: When I first received the role, I thought "Oh, it's a historic film; oh, it has a homosexual story line". However, after reading the script, I didn't really think about the homosexual story line. The most important part of the movie is how one person changes and that's the part that appealed to me. I had alot of pressure, but I trusted the film makers.
"Frozen Flower" has both the potential for business and potential as a good movie. In Korea, a top actor needs popularity and star power. However, because I'm not an actor with those traits, because of that I lost alot of potential roles in movies. It hurt my pride alot.
From this current film, I want to get approval as a good actor, so that other directors will think I am worthy to give roles to.

Q: In the drama "Sad Temptation", you played a homosexual role.

JJM: Seriously, I am straight. It's not that I choose roles in movies and dramas. When I choose a script, I usually look at the message that the movie is sending before I accept the role. For that drama, I chose it because I liked the message it was sending.

Q: People say that 'Frozen Flower' is JJM's movie.

JJM: Actors think that they have to appear in the movie alot. Because of that, directors try to consideration to each actor so they won't be upset. Of course, viewers will see a movie because of one person. In 'Frozen Flower', I think there's alot of characters that you will want to see. The King is obviously a role that stands out.

Q: It seems like this King is different from other historic kings.

JJM: In our historic country, there is a stereotypical king. The king in 'Frozen Flower' does everything that kings should not do. The movies biggest positive is that you'll see a different king. A king is like a company's CEO. Infront of his workers, he shows one side, but at home, does he show the same side? You'll see how a human will change.

Q: Did Director Yoo have any special requests?

JJM: He didn't have any special requests. Different from other films, after a film was finished, actors have their personal lives. With 'Frozen Flower' though, even after filming, the nervousness is still there, and even when I go to sleep, I try my best to not get out of the charactor's role. Director Yoo found a new side of JJM that no one ever knew before.
Of that, the feeling's of a king is very important. Director Yoo asked "Never get out of your character, I will know from your eyes if you do." For example, if myself or In Sung went to Seoul because of our schedule, Director Yoo will know if we got out of our character's feelings. The Director will wait till we were back into our character's feelings before we started filming again.

Q: There were rumours that Director Yoo restricted alcohol while fliming.

JJM: He never said that we couldn't drink. When we were tired and stressed, we did drink shots of soju. However, the next morning, I found that it was difficult to fit back into charcter. I did not drink alot because I didn't want to get out of character.
This movie compared to other movies is different. The filming schedule was twice as long as other movies. I even lost some hair. The director said "Actors have to suffer for viewers to be happy. The suffering that you are feeling right now will last in viewers' minds for a long time."

Q: How was working with Jo In Sung? In the press confernece, Jo In Sung said that your action stance was very professional.

JJM: Even before filming, Jo In Sung and I were friends and we got out to drink often.
As for historic films, "Bichunmoo" and "Musa", this will be my third film. However, this film is a different level than the others. In "Musa", if the action scenes were to fight for my life, in this film, I had to portray someone that gives their trust away. In Sung was casted months before I was casted, and he practiced more action scences. I learned alot from him.

Q: The biggest popularity of this film is the bedscene with Jo In Sung.

JJM: Before we started filming, there was alot of controversy how this is a homosexual film. The bedscene is not the most important part of the film. In the movie, there is a scene where the king and his guard show deep emotion. I wish the homosexual bedscene won't be focus.
Even before official advertising of the movie, there were alot of sayings how this is a "homosexual movie". My parents even asked me about this. Because of this, I personally got offended.
Even while filming, I didn't monitor that scene. Of course I knew what my feeling was while acting that scene, however I do not know how that scene was filmed from a camera's point of view. I think that it is important to act through expressions from the face.

Q: What did you gain from filming 'Frozen Flower'?

JJM: As an actor, there is some maturity and confidence. But infront of Director Yoo, I felt like an elementary school student. I threw away all my pride, and started with a bare feeling. I feel like I learned a new way to act. Director Yoo supervises many actors this way. And till an actor feels their part, he looks at you in the eye. This is very important for an actor.

Q: For your next project, do you want to drastically change your character?

JJM: I still haven't gotten out of the character from this film. For the next project, I would like a character that's the complete opposite.

- Joo Jin Mo "Because in Frozen Flower I love a man, my eyebrow hairs fell out"

주진모 “쌍화점’서 남자 사랑하다 눈썹 탈모까지”(인터뷰)

눈썹 탈모, 새치, 눈물, 불면증, 우울증. 배우 주진모(34)가 영화 ‘쌍화점’을 통해 양산해낸 것들이다. 잃은 것도 있다. 체중 12kg 감량. 동성애를 하는 모험적인 캐릭터였던 만큼 고통스러울 정도로 연기에 몰입해야 했다. 어느 정도 신경을 써야 눈썹이 빠지는 걸까? ‘쌍화점’은 배우들을 괴롭히기(?)로 유명한 유하 감독의 작품 아니던가.

‘쌍화점’은 다른 배우들에게 먼저 갔다 주진모에게 온 시나리오가 아니었다. 그에게 가장 먼저 왔다. 때문에 더욱 남다르다. 그는 한때 자신을 불러주지 않고 방치했던 영화계에 연기로 복수(?)하는 심정으로 ‘쌍화점’에 전력을 다했다. ‘연기다운 연기를 보여 그동안 나를 쓰지 않은 걸 후회하게 만들리라’고 각오를 다졌다. 그 각오는 고스란히 스크린에 녹아 들었다. 감정과 본능에 충실한 고려 왕 역을 맡은 그는 조인성과 “은퇴할 수도 있겠다”며 수위 높은 베드신을 감행했다. ‘쌍화점’으로 연기인생에 ‘방점’을 찍고 싶어 하는 주진모를 2008년 겨울 서울 삼청동에서 만났다.

#눈썹 탈모에 새치, 눈물, 우울증까지
-배우들이 유하 감독과 일하기 힘들다고 하는데 어땠어요?
▲사실 각오하고 ‘쌍화점’ 촬영에 임했는데 제겐 행복한 시간이었어요. 유하 감독님이 크나큰 선생님이었어요.

-유하 감독과 첫 미팅 때 첫 마디가 뭐였나요?
▲‘인성이는 캐스팅이 돼 있었고 또 하나의 주인공이 있는데 내면적인 부분에서 외형적인 부분에 이르기까지 여러 가지를 연기해야 하기 때문에 시작하면 힘들 거다. 어떠냐?’라고 물어보셨어요. 그래서 저도 ‘오케이’ 했어요.

-이번 영화 찍으면서 탈모에 새치가 생겼다는데.

▲정확히 말하면 눈썹 탈모예요. 새치도 뭉치로 생기더라구요. 한군데만 집중적으로 나서 염색도 했어요.

-체중 12kg을 감량했다고 들었어요.

▲영화 때문에요. 영화에선 두드러지게 보이지 않아요. 다시 5kg 쪘어요.

-작업하면서 힘들어 운 적도 있다고요?
▲ 어려울 때 돌파 못하고 안 풀릴 때가 있죠. 이런 경우 스태프와 의논해 방향을 잡는데 ‘쌍화점’에선 유하 감독님이 제게 완전히 일임했어요. 그래서 많이 기다려주셨죠. 그러다 보니 생각처럼 잘 안 풀리면 혼자 숙소에 와 소주 마시며 고민했어요. 스트레스도 받았구요. 아 이 같다는 생각도 들었어요. 하지만 그런 과정을 통해 성과물을 얻으면 희열을 느껴요.

-작품 촬영 끝난 뒤엔 늘 우울하다고 했는데 ‘쌍화점’ 끝난 후에도 우울했나요?
▲ 우울증이 생겨 불면증에 시달리기도 했는데 지금은 괜찮아요. 공황증 비슷한 게 있어요. 일마치고 짐 싸서 서울 집에 들어갔는데 깜깜하더라고요. ‘쌍화점’ 시작하면서, 같이 살던 친누나가 시집가서 혼자 살거든요. 아무도 없는 집에 들어가 불 켜고 보일러 켜고 샤워하고 소파에 앉았는데 다른 생각은 안 나고 ‘이제 뭐하지’라는 생각이 드는 거예요. 심지어 TV 켜는 방법도 생각이 안 나더군요. ‘날 찾는 사람이 아무도 없네’라는 생각에 순간적으로 우울해졌어요.

-우울증 극복 방법은요?
▲혼자 있으면 안 돼요. 누군가와 함께 어울리고 스스로 마음을 닫으면 안 돼요. 상처 받았을 때 옆에 누군가 있다면 쉽게 극복해 나갈 수 있겠죠.

-여자친구는 없나요?
▲있으면 혼자 있질 않았겠죠. 주변에 좋은 사람 있으면 소개해 주세요.

-이상형은 있나요? 외모도 보나요?
▲이상형은 없는데 외모를 좀 보긴 해요. 기대치는 있는데 그걸 따지면 한도 끝도 없어요. 포기할 건 포기해야죠. 아직도 설렘을 느끼고 싶어요.

-일반인 친구들은 많나요?
▲ 있긴 있는데 많지 않아요. 친한 친구 몇 명은 있죠. 우울증은 외로워 생기는 마음의 감기 같은 거예요. 드라마나 영화가 끝나면 더 하죠. 배우들만이 알 수 있는 것들이 있거든요. 제가 (장)동건이 형과 친하잖아요. 언젠가 소주 마시면서 배우만이 느끼는 고민을 서로 얘기하는데 ‘부모님껜 말씀 못 드리는 걸 형한테 말할 수 있네’라고 한 적이 있어요.

-‘쌍화점’이 ‘동성애 사극영화’ ‘베드신’에만 초점이 맞춰져 있어요.

▲ 이 영화는 인간의 본질을 다루고 있어요. ‘쌍화점’은 세 인간이 상황과 사건으로 인해 변해가는 모습을 디테일하게 그렸어요. 그러니 제가 집착을 하면 홍림(조인성)이는 다른 쪽(송지효)에서 사랑으로 표현하고. 사람의 마음이 참 간사해요. 좋아하는 사람이 있는데 그 사람에게 다른 사람이 나타나면 질투하게 되니까.

#얼굴로만 연기할 애구나, 말에 이 악물다
-데뷔 초기부터 가고자 하는 방향이 스타성과 다른 방향이었어요.

▲ 물론 스타성을 안고 가면 더 좋았을 수 있는데 연기 잘하는 배우라는 것에 더 매력을 느꼈죠. 내가 갖추지 않은 것으로 인정받을 때 느끼는 불안감이 싫어요. 도태될 것 같기도 하구요. 그래도 요즘엔 대중에게 닫혀져 있는 인물로 인식돼 있는 것 같아 바꿔보고 싶어요. 오락 프로그램에도 잘 안 나오고 홍보만 하니까 대중들에게 낯설죠. 이제 저를 옆집 사람처럼 느껴지게 하고 싶어요.

-상업적인 것을 포기하면서 늦게 인기를 얻은 것 같은데.

▲그래서 돈을 못 벌었어요. 오랫동안 기억되는 가치 있는 배우가 되고 싶어요. 반짝 배우보다는 배우로서 최전방에서 뛰는 배우, 가수로 치면 항상 무대에 서는 가수가 되고 싶어요. 연기에 대한 욕심이 돈 보다 큰 것 같아요.

-시나리오 고를 때 어떤 기준이 있나요?
▲ 외모적으로 표현하는 캐릭터는 스스로 배제하기로 마음먹었잖아요. ‘사랑’이라는 시나리오도 남자가 여자에게 보여주는 마음 자체가 좋았어요. ‘쌍화점’도 욕심나는 역할이었죠. 지금까지 해보지 못한 역할이기도 했고요. 그 인물로 관객에게 전달하는 메시지가 있거든요.

-잘 생겨서 불이익 받은 적 있죠?
▲처음에 연기 잘하는 건 아니었죠. ‘무사’를 찍은 직후에 어떤 분에게서 ‘얼굴로만 연기하는 저런 친구는 안 된다’는 말을 들었어요. 그 때 눈물 흘리면서 이를 갈았어요. 스스로 인정받기 위해 열심히 하겠다고 결심했어요. 오히려 그 분의 지적이 제게 약이 됐어요. 조인성 씨도 저와 같은 일을 겪었다고 하더라구요. 저도 연기하는 데 부족하다는 걸 알거든요. 잘 생겼다는 말 보다 연기 잘한다는 말을 듣고 싶어요.

#자연인 주진모, 며칠 동안 안 씻을 때 있다
-진모씨는 연예인 같지 않은 배우예요. 실제 어때요?
▲전 아직도 다른 연예인들을 보면 신기해요. 카메라 앞에 서면 연기가 필요하지만 평상시에도 연기를 한다면 얼마나 지치겠어요.

-평소 소탈한 모습은 어떤가요?
▲ 집에 있을 때 가장 솔직한 모습이죠. 며칠 동안 안 씻을 때도 있고요. 제가 낚시를 좋아하다 보니 몇 박 며칠 낚시하다 보면 그 상황을 즐겨요. 그 땐 배우가 아니니까요. 이번에도 촬영 끝나고 춘천에 가 낚시했어요. 낚시로 우울증을 날려 보내기도 하죠. 남자배우인 저도 작품 끝나면 우울한데 여배우들은 더 심하겠죠. 그런 배우가 있으면 말동무 해주고 싶어요. 오해 받을까 봐 실행엔 못 옮기지만요.

Joo Jin Mo "Because in Frozen Flower I love a man, my eyebrow hairs fell out"

Q: Other actors say that Director Yoo is hard to work with?
JJM: Actually, I already prepared myself before filming Frozen Flower, but to me this filming was a happy time. Director Yoo is a big teacher to me.

Q: What was Director Yoo's first remarks when you met him?
JJM: Director Yoo said "In Sung has already been casted, and we need another main character. But the role is very sensitive, and there needs to be alot of different emotions acted, and it will be hard. Are you still interested?". Even with that I said "OK".

Q: Because of this film, I heard you lost hair and got grey hair?
JJM: To be honest, I lost alot of eyebrow hair. Grey hair I got in packs, that's why it dyed those areas.

Q: And you lost 12 kgs?
JJM: Because of the movie. But you can't really see it. I actually regain 5 kgs again.

Q: Because of this work (acting), I heard that you cried sometimes?
JJM: When times are difficult, and when things aren't going well. Usually, I consult with staff and develop of different plan, but in Frozen Flower, Director Yoo left everything to my hands. Because of that, there was a lot of waiting. When things don't go the way I think or plan, I sit alone in my room, drink soju and think more. I got alot of stress. Sometimes I thought I was acting like a child. But through those experiences I gain patience and get gladness afterwards.

Q: You said that after you finish filming a movie, you get depressed. Even after finishing Frozen Flower, were you depressed?
JJM: I was depressed and also got insommnia but I'm ok now. It's something similar to panic attacks/anxiety. After filming, then packing all my stuff, I went back to Seoul and my house was so dark. When I started filming Frozen Flower, my biological older sister that I lived with got married and I live alone now. In a house where no one is living there, I turned on the lights and the heater, took a shower and sat on the sofa. There was no thought in my mind except "What do I do now?". Sometimes I even forget how to turn on the TV. I get depressed when I think "Is there anyone looking for me?"

Q: How do you overcome the depression?
JJM: You can't be alone. However you can't be with someone and keep your feelings to yourself. When you feel emotional or hurt, you need someone beside you so you could get over things.

Q: You don't have a girlfriend?
JJM: If I had one, I wouldn't be alone. If you have nice people around you, please introduce them to me.

Q: Do you have an ideal type? Do you look at appearance?
JJM: I don't have an ideal type, but I do look at appearance. I have my preferences but if I start with them, there is no end. I already given up looking for that ideal. I really want to experience infatuation.

Q: Do you meet up with regular friends (non-celebrity)?
JJM: I do have, but not that many. I have a few close friends. Depression is something that develops when someone is lonely, it's like a "cold/flu to one's feelings". It's more severe when filming for a movie or drama ends. It's something that actors only understand. I'm friends with Jang Dong Gun. When we drink soju together, we can consult about things that only actors understand. I even told him once "Things I cannot even tell my parents, I can tell him".

Q: Frozen Flower is a "Homosexual, Historic Movie", and "Bedscenes" seems to be the focus.
JJM: This movie is about a human nature. You see three individuals, situations and incidences, and how these three change in detail. For example, If I am attached, InSung's character or JiHyo's character, you will see love. People's feelings are very wicked. You like someone, but to that someone there's someone else and you get jealous.

Q: Since your debut, you took another direction than stardom.
JJM: Of course if I had stardom, things would be great. But I think it's more appealing to be known as someone with alot of talent as an actor. I feel insecure when people think I am something that I'm not. But now, I want to change into someone that the general public won't feel uncomfortable with. Because I don't come on variety programs and only focus on public relations for my movie, the general public sees me differently. I want people to feel like I'm their next door neighbour.

Q: You seem like you gave up on a business and got fame quite late.
JJM: And because of that I didn't earn any money. I want to be known as an actor that is left on people's minds for a long time. Instead of an instant star, I want to be an actor you rose from the bottom. If you were to compare it to a singer, I want to be a singer who stays on stage for a long time. I have more desire for acting than for earning money.

Q: When you pick a script, what is your criteria?
JJM: I usually exclude roles that use my appearance to portray a character. In "A Love", I like how the character showed his love to the girl. In Frozen Flower, this was another role that I wanted. I pick roles that I never acted in before. This is because through this role, I could deliver a message to the audience.

Q: Because of your good looks, this is a disadvantage?
JJM: You can't be a good actor at first. After "Musa", someone said "Just because of Joo Jin Mo's good looks, he can't act". After hearing that, I cried alot. I then decided to work my hardest so I could gain the recognition I deserved. Because of that person's comments, it became a therapy to me. Jo In Sung said he felt the same way as I did. I know that I have alot of shortcomings as an actor. I want to hear that I'm a good actor rather than I'm good looking.

Q: You seem like an actor that's not an entertainer. How are you in real life?
JJM: When I meet other entertainers, it still fascinates me. Infront of the camera, I have to be acting. But if I always had to be acting, I'd get very exhausted.

Q: How are you informally?
JJM: When I am at home, I am my most honest. There are sometimes when I don't wash for days. Because I like to fish, there are times when I go for days like this. Because then, I'm not an actor. Even after finishing Frozen Flower, I went to ChoonChun and fished. Sometimes I overcome the depression with fishing. As a male actor I get depressed, but it's probably more severe for female actresses. If there is an actress like that, I would like to be their conversation partner. But there might be a misunderstanding, so I don't.

- Because of the success of "Frozen Flower", JJM's Worth is rising

yeah!!! our JJM is doing well

'쌍화점' 연기 호평 주진모 몸값 상한가

배우 주진모가 <쌍화점> 효과로 입이 함지박만해졌다.

주진모는 최근 고려왕으로 출연한 영화 <쌍화점>(감독 유하ㆍ제작 오퍼스픽쳐스)이 개봉 첫 주 150만 관객을 불러모으며 연기 호평을 받고 있다.

영화를 감상한 관객들은 "주진모의 카리스마가 대단하다" "역시 연기파 배우다" "섬세하고도 광기어린 눈빛 연기가 인상적이다" 등 평을 내놓고 있다.

영화 덕분에 주진모의 몸값도 상한가를 기록하고 있다. 최근 영화 개봉 후 CF업계에서 주진모에게 러브콜이 쏟아지고 있다.

주진모의 소속사 KM컬쳐 측은 "패션 카메라 전자 은행 등 각 분야에서 광고 제안이 이어지고 있다. 현재 몇 군데 업체를 놓고 조율 중이다"고 밝혔다.

경기가 얼어붙은 탓에 스타를 모델로 내세우는 업체가 줄어들고 있는 가운데 광고 제안이 이어지자 주진모 측은 고무돼 있다. 주진모에게 하루 3편 이상 시나리오가 전달되는 등 후속작에 대한 기대감도 높다.

Because of the success of "Frozen Flower", JJM's Worth is rising

Actor JJM is smiling because of the sucess of "Frozen Flower"
JJM plays the Koreyo king in this movie which in it's first week had over 1.5 million viewers.
People that saw the movie said "JJM's charisma was superb" "Of course, he is a great actor" "His eyes when he is acting is memorable"
Because of this movie, his worth is increasing into record numbers. After the movie premiered, alot of companies are interested in JJM to appear in their commercials (CFs). JJM's company KM Culture said "From fashion, cameras, appliances and banks, there are alot of offers right now. We are considering some of them."
Even though the economy is bad, and alot of companies are hesitant putting a star as their model, they are happy that JJM is still getting offers. In a day, JJM now gets more than three movie scenarios (scripts) and there is alot of anticipation for his next project.

(This is all good news! I'm sure he'll still remain humble.)

- Joo Jin Mo "His life's First Fan Meeting"

주진모, 생애 첫 '국내 팬미팅 연다'

올해로 데뷔한지 만 10년이 된 배우 주진모(35)가 다음 달 생애 첫 팬미팅을 연다.

주 진모의 소속사인 KM컬쳐측은 최근 “2월 달 내로 주진모의 첫 국내 팬미팅을 연다. 배우 주진모가 아닌 30대 주진모의 인간적이고 진솔한 모습을 보여주기 위해 마련했다”면서 “노래. 춤 등 다양한 끼가 많은 만큼 그동안 보여주지 않았던 장기들을 보여줄 수 있는 기회가 될 것”이라고 덧붙였다.

주진모의 이같은 결정에는 최근 300만 관객을 돌파한 영화 ‘쌍화점’의 영향이 컸다. 고려 왕 역할을 맡아 감성연기로 호평을 받은데 이어 직접 팬들과 소통할 수 있는 자리를 갖고 싶었던 것.

주 진모는 올해 본격적인 일본진출을 하며 배우로서의 영역을 더욱 넓힐 예정이다. 그동안 그가 출연한 영화 ‘미녀는 괴로워’와 SBS 드라마 ‘패션70’S’등이 일본에 소개된 덕에 꾸준히 일본 매니지먼트측의 러브콜을 받아왔지만. 선뜻 결정을 내리지 못했다.

소속사 관계자는 “지금까지는 일본진출을 위한 워밍업이었다. 또 ‘쌍화점’을 통해 주진모가 자신감을 얻게 돼 일본진출까지 결정지었다”면서 “연내 드라마나 영화 등을 통해 활동하게 된다”고 밝혔다.

Joo Jin Mo "His life's First Fan Meeting"

It's been 10 years since his debut, however, JJM will hold his first fan meeting in Korea next month. His agency KMCulture said "In Febuary, JJM will have his first domestic fan meeting. You won't see the actor JJM, but a humanly man in his 30s, you will see a homely side of him. This will be an opportunity for fans to see another side of him, we'll prepare song, dance and wide variety of things."
The reason for this decision is the success of 'Frozen Flower' which got 3 million viewers. This year, JJM will also start his journey into Japan. Because of his movie '200 lbs Beauty' and drama 'Fashion 70s' alot of Japanese management agencies have offered him contracts, but up till now, no decision has been made. A spokesperson from KM said "Up till now, it's been just preparations for JJM's career into Japan. Also, because of the success of his recent movie, JJM got alot of confidence and he decided he wanted to try Japan. Later this year, either through a movie or drama you will see more of JJM." (I think they mean Korean drama/movie)

I'm so proud of him. I've been a fan for around 6 years, and not only because he's gorgeous. I love his passion and the characters he plays. He so deserves all this success.

- Praises for Joo Jin Mo's acting in Frozen Flower

Ssanghwa Store Review thanks to rubie

December 21, 2008

[movie REVIEW] 'Ssanghwajeom' barely avoids trap

Homosexuality is no longer a hush-hush topic for Korean filmmakers. But depictions of sexuality take another turn in "Ssanghwajeom (A Frozen Flower)," as a relationship between two men becomes a spiraling triangle of jealousy with an addition of a woman.

But the movie, to be released on Dec. 30, is not limited to sexual entanglement. Sex is used as a key tool to prod the plot forward, often at a rapid pace. To that end, director Yoo Ha includes plenty of explicit scenes of sex and graphic violence. The result, however, is somewhat mixed. The film's poetic justice produces an unlikely anti-hero.

Although the movie sets itself out as a historical drama set in the late Goryeo Dynasty, viewers should bear in mind that the story is purely fictional. The nation is now under the virtual rule of China's Yuan Dynasty, and Goryeo's king (Joo Jin-mo) has to produce a son to keep his position. The only problem is that he cannot sleep with a woman, much less have a romantic relationship with one.

The king's real romantic partner is none other than his chief bodyguard Hong Lim (Zo In-sung). The two have sex in the inner sanctums of the Goryeo court, and we are shown a graphic kiss scene between the king and Hong Lim, which is bound to shock some Korean viewers. But the real shocker comes when the king decides to ask Hong Lim to sleep with his wife -- the queen (Song Ji-hyo). This idea is based on his assumption that all his political problems will go away once there is a royal son.

The king's miscalculation, of course, is that passionate romantic feelings sometimes form after sex. Hong Lim, who has never slept with a woman before, hesitates to touch the body of the queen at first, but once the physical bond is initiated, he finds himself totally enslaved. Love triangle established, the plot sprints ahead with a portrayal of the uncontrollable anger and jealousy of the king, leaving heads rolling in the process.

Director Yoo seems to suggest that Hong Lim has long been subjected to a sort of coercion, rather than a real romantic relationship with the king. Hong is a mere subordinate, while the king has all the power, including the right to order his death.

The queen, for her part, discovers the liberating exhilaration when she falls in love with Hong Lim after years of neglect and inattention. She suffers a deep sense of guilt initially but she finds herself indulging in the dangerous liaisons with Hong Lim.

What is notable is that sex in "Ssanghwajeom" is deeply associated with death. Eros is often depicted in literature and film as being able to overcome everything. The feelings that interconnect Hong Lim and the queen could backfire lethally because they are cheating on the almighty king.

As far as a plot is concerned, the unfortunate queen and her lover bravely defy the obstacles to prove that mutual love is more powerful than unrequited passion. The king's relationship with Hong Lim has been futile and one-sided. Failing to confirm whether his bodyguard is truly in love with him, he comes to realize that he is totally alone.

It is a pity that the king, trapped in a man's body, is betrayed by his secret lover. What the king fails to notice is that Hong Lim is a bisexual who prefers heterosexual sex.

But Joo Jin-mo does not have to lament his role. It is Zo In-sung who fails to create much-needed emotional subtlety and often delivers his lines in an annoyingly mechanical fashion. In contrast, Joo Jin-mo emerges as the ultimate winner in the film. Joo pulls off creating a complex and nuanced character with whom audiences will be able to sympathize, rescuing a film that might be otherwise fall into the trap of having too much sex and violence.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/dat...00812220014.asp

lament =regret

- Joo Jin Mo "When i'm in a relationship, i'm a servant"

cute recent article...

i know there's alot floating around about the movie...but the answers to the questions are always the same..i'm trying to find ones that are different...

주진모, "연애할 때는 머슴 된다"

현재 여자친구가 없다는 주진모는 “여자 친구를 찾고 있다”며 “하지만 누구를 만날 기회가 없다”고 말문을 열었다.

“저 는 설계도를 세워서 그렇게 누구를 만나는 것이 아니라 첫 눈에 봤을 때 그 상대가 내 마음을 흔들고 심장 박동수가 급격히 빨라지고 그렇게 느낄 때의 사람을 좋아한다”며 “하지만 아직 그런 사람을 못 만났다. 늘 마음은 열려 있지만 그런 사람을 만나기는 쉽지가 않은 것 같다”고 밝혔다.

연애할 때의 스타일에 대해서는 “머슴이 된다”며 “정말 상대를 공주처럼 해준다. 제가 직업적인 게 배우라서 그렇게 안 보일 뿐이지만 사적인 자리에서 저는 굉장히 평범하다. 예전의 여자친구에게 정말 머슴처럼 했던 것 같다. 뭐 하나를 할 때도 매니저처럼 했던 것 같다. 그게 관심의 표현이고 사랑의 표현인 것 같다”고 전했다.

마지막으로 주진모는 “만날 상대가 있으면 좋겠다”며 “일 적으로만 치우치니까 ‘내가 살아있구나’라는 그런 생동감이 별로 없고 마음 속은 되게 허하다”고 털어놨다.

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/shel...p;newssetid=491

Joo Jin Mo "When I'm in a relationship, I am a servant."

JJM, who currently does not have a girlfriend said "I am currently looking, however I don't have time to meet people."

"I'm not a person who goes out looking for someone, but I like someone alot if when I see them at first sight, my heart races. However, I haven't met a person like that yet. My mind and feelings are always open, but it's hard to meet someone like that."

When asked about his style of dating, he said "I'm a servant. I really treat my girlfriend as a princess. Because of my job, it may seem like I won't treat a girl like that, but during normal times, I'm very average. I believe that for my previous girlfriend, I was her servant. Whatever I did, I did with manners. That's how I show interest to her and how I show love".

Finally, JJM said "I wish I had someone to meet. Because my life is full of work, I want to have the feeling 'Ah, I am living' and not have preoccupations in my mind.:

- Comments on Joo Jin Mo's acting in Frozen Flower

ahhh! i just read some of the forum comments from the official Frozen Flower website..
and there were alot of comments for jjm...good comments..i don't think i read a negative comment about any of the actors. there were alot of complaints about the storyline, some scenes, and the long running time...

there were alot of comments saying "i went to see a movie to see Jo In Sung, but I fell in love with Joo Jin Mo."; "Joo Jin Mo's acting was really good; his face expression and eyes"

one person said "no offense, but i never really thought JJM was a good actor, but after watching this movie, i rediscovered him"

one problem was that JJM doesn't sing in the movie...apparent his voice was dubbed...even when he actually sings the song in the music video...there were alot of complaints to that..

- Joo Jin-mo: "In order to maintain the feelings, I could not let go of anything"

original source: http://news.nate.com/Service/news/ShellVie...8&LinkID=66

english translation by : serendipity from jjm chinese website

Joo Jin-mo: "In order to maintain the feelings, I could not let go of anything"
JJM (34) is a charismatic actor who could make impressive expressions with the look of his eyes. In the movie “Frozen Flower” he had successfully conveyed his various feelings through his expressive eyes. In “Frozen Flower”, he was unable to “accept a woman" (because the character is gay so the character is physically more attracted to a man rather than a woman). Jealousy and anger – all these emotions were conveyed by the look of his eyes in the movie. The Emperor (the character JJM played in “Frozen Flower”) is protected by Honglin (his bodyguard) and the Emperor also loves Honglin. But Honglin had betrayed the Emperor after he feels the love the Queen has towards Honglin. The feeling of betrayal and cruelty of unable to express his angers (since the truth that the Emperor loves a man had to remain unspoken) was all being expressed well by the look of

JJM’s eyes in the movie.
Through his past experience in filming "Musa" and 'Bichunmoo", JJM was able to perform very well in films with Korean historical settings. The hurt and struggle during breaking up process was also played well through expression of his eyes. Instead of convey his feelings through scripted lines, he wants to express these emotions using body and eye expressions. Because of the film his hair started to turn gray.

Suppressed eye expression is better than scripted lines.
After filming JJM experienced "suppress feelings which lead to fatigue". In order to maintain the feeling of the protagonist, he continued to keep his hair long after filming of “Frozen Flower” ended.

"The director wants to emphasize an Emperor with common human feelings. The Emperor is straightforward and accessible, just like common people. “That’s why I did not learn the particular characteristics of the era and background."

JJM explained Koryo Emperor is not a person with everything; rather, he’s a lonely person. But he’s excellent at fencing and equestrian. Even after he finds out his most beloved Honglin had betrayed him, the Emperor had to remain composed and not shown his angers outwardly – that’s why as the Emperor sings the song "Frozen Flower" there is a sense of extreme sadness.

This is JJM’s first time singing in a movie. At the beginning he couldn’t get used to it but the lyrics and melody become addictive.

The director had asked the actor/actress not to drink any alcohol until shooting is complete – everyone was rather bored

“Frozen Flower” is not a movie about gay love. It’s about a person’s change after feeling love from opposite sex ~ Honglin. It’s about how another person changed because of jealousy and betrayal ~ the Emperor. It’s a film about their inner world and feelings.

"Compared to great visual, it’s a movie with dramatic plot and manipulation of human nature. Even though the way it delivers the messages may not be very orthodoxical. About the kiss scene, I do not think it’s a man kissed another man, but a man kissed someone he loves. I would like to thank the director for giving me time to immense myself into this role.

We spent 3 days shooting the final scenes of final battle with Honglin, after the director conveyed the shooting map and style he also gave us a Prohibition Order (no drinking). We even complained to the director "actors are also normal human beings!" He shared with us his past filming experiences in shooting site surrounded by mountains in far countryside for several months.

Joo Jin Mo’s past popular film work include "Happy End", "Wanee and Joonha", "200 Pound Beauty" and "Love". His drama work such as "Punch and "Fashion70s" were also well received. However he has been accused of “scarce production actor” but the fact is it’s all due to bad luck. Couple film shootings had been canceled due to shortage of funding. The situation did not improve for three years, squeezing by with various part-time jobs. During the years while Korean films are thriving, I took a break from acting. Now I start to be active but the film industry is facing trouble. Really worried if I would be able to find my next project to work on.

"I do not want to become a fixed or stagnated actor; I would like to become an actor with regular appearance in front of the camera."

end of translation

Guest Ding Lin

@anjshin~~~
Thank you for the article!! LOL =))
WOW!  I found the most fruitful time for JJM is 2005-2009.  Almost all dramas and films he starred were successful. Things seemed to quiet down a little bit after "A Frozen Flower".  
~~~~ Somehow, I have a feeling that he is entering another fruitful period this year :)!!  JJM, fighting!!!!!!  :)  

Guest fated1430293719

@Ding Lin i wanted to as ask u...do u happen to knw if jjm monitors his own private fb account or sm1 else does on his behalf? I just wana knw if he has an actual fb account where he would personally post on when he has the time to!

Guest Ding Lin

@fated~~
Here is the FB  managed by JJM's agent: https://www.facebook.com/fantagio

Here is the FB of JJM's company:  https://www.facebook.com/fantagio

Personal website of JJM (for his own friends only):https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100006514608816

PS: JJM is such a low key guy.  None of these sites are active :(

Guest Ding Lin

Also, I saw this message a while ago at the Baidu JJ forum.  It is a collection of the Chinese translation of JJM's messages at Tweeter over the years.  His messages are as lovable as he is :)
I will try to translate them one by one.  

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1134836775?pid=13088015492&cid=32308644353#32308644353

Here are the English translations for JJM's messages posted on 2010.08.30 at Tweeter:

(1) Lately, I have been promoting my new movie and not feeling well.

I think I have not fully recovered from the rice wine party a few days ago.

Tomorrow, I am going to the live shows "Taxi" and "Golden Fishery"~~ㅠ

What should I do? I can not sleep............ My camera phobia is getting very bad...

Oh! I am SO nervous....~~~ㅠㅠ "

2) I am too nervous to sleep....

I just hope everybody will see the real me.

Gim Kap-su sii, I am coming to Golden Fishery, too!

=============================================
Chinese translation:
(1)最近 电影宣传期间~没有什么精神~ㅠ
几天前 米酒聚会上的醉意到现在还有呢~ㅋ
明天录制综艺节目TAXI和膝盖道士~~ㅠ
要怎么办呀~ㅠ睡不着~ㅠ镜头恐惧症(怯场)好严重~~~ㅠㅠ

(2) (也是说他紧张得睡不着)
但大家能够看到我实际本来的样子~~~
金甲洙前辈,我也上膝盖道士节目啦

The above messages are my favorites! Is it funny to you? An award winning actor who always looks SO confident on screen could be this nervous in front of a camera??!! I find this side of JJM totally cute

:):)!

Guest anjshin

@eunsuhae: hi dear,. it's been a while. :) Sorry to answer you here, yes it is frustrating to waste JJM's talent giving him a very little screen time. First all asleep at the whole episode, and now it's almost nothing. :(

Regarding the acting, I guess he made it just right that depends on what the character he portrays. And as an actor who is always in the movie industry their forte is to use more of facial expressions using the eyes. :D

I hope I can see you again dear in other dramas in the future because I didn't work out to stay at EK thread for good, because as you can see hate for WY had been rampant in there. It's more fun to be at peace than to argue every now and then. Have a good time ahead dear. :)