Song Hye Kyo 송혜교 Hyebaragi ~Upcoming Movie 2025: The Priest 2 (Dark Nuns) Upcoming Dramas 2025: Everything Will Come True (special appearance) & Show Business

Peachypie

Understanding Viewership Ratings....

I can't say I've ever been concerned abour numbers when it comes to Western media. At best all I ever hear is if a show is "doing well" or "not doing well."

When it comes the Kdrama's, however, we always hear about the viewership rating in some fashion - What's breaking records and what records exactly are they breaking. But, should we care about ratings, what is considered a "good" or "bad" rating, and what exactly do ratings mean?

Contents:

:arrow_forward: The Impact of Ratings

:arrow_forward: How Ratings are Calculated

:arrow_forward: Public Broadcasts

:arrow_forward: Cable Broadcast

:arrow_forward: International Broadcast

:signal_strength: :signal_strength: :signal_strength: :signal_strength: :signal_strength:

WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF RATINGS? One could argue that ratings are valuable for a number of reasons. They are mass population statistics that can help shed light on evolving cultural and socio-political attitudes and trends - but, at the end of the day... Ratings are about money. 

Understanding Viewership Ratings

I can't say I've ever been concerned abour numbers when it comes to Western media. At best all I ever hear is if a show is "doing well" or "not doing well."

When it comes the Kdrama's, however, we always hear about the viewership rating in some fashion - What's breaking records and what records exactly are they breaking. But, should we care about ratings, what is considered a "good" or "bad" rating, and what exactly do ratings mean?

Contents:

:arrow_forward: The Impact of Ratings

:arrow_forward: How Ratings are Calculated

:arrow_forward: Public Broadcasts

:arrow_forward: Cable Broadcast

:arrow_forward: International Broadcast

:signal_strength: :signal_strength: :signal_strength: :signal_strength: :signal_strength:

WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF RATINGS?

7d68882715ae747ef7178a8d33576012f24a16d3_hq.gif

One could argue that ratings are valuable for a number of reasons. They are mass population statistics that can help shed light on evolving cultural and socio-political attitudes and trends - but, at the end of the day... Ratings are about money.

All programming is dependant on funding. Funding comes from advertisers paying to air their products on TV programs.

Advertisers decide whether or not to air their commercials alongside a program based on the programs ratings. In the US, for example, show are typically cut to accommodate commercials every 8 to 10 minutes (Note: it's not uncommon for state run media to not have any advertisements). Shows tend to run for a 30 minute or a full hour time slot, approximating 9 minutes of commercials per 30 minutes leaving only 21 minutes of actual program airtime. A show can be pulled or fail to be picked back up if it isn't rating well enough. In some cases, the show may be doing better than most, but if it isn't attracting an audience and advertisers big enough to support its high production costs, it could get pulled regardless of popularity. In South Korea, however, you may have noticed a slight difference. Shows runtimes tend to be a full half hour or a full hour not including commercials. Time slots tend to not be on the nose... a drama may begin at five-minutes to the hour or perhaps fifteen minutes past the hour. We also notice the obvious product placement. In the end, South Korea does have commercials - just their delivery can vary. In some instances, a program will air uninterrupted for its duration and ads will air before and after the program, and other instances, they take the "traditional" route of running ads throughout by taking typically 3 commercial breaks lasting about 8 minutes

Regardless, at the end of the day, no matter which hemisphere you're in, broadcasters are dependant on ratings to attract the advertisers who will give them money - so, broadcasters must pick their dramas wisely.

:signal_strength: Broadcasters sometimes produce dramas "in-house", but, this tends to be more expensive than purchasing from an independent production company.

:signal_strength: Production companies, which account for nearly 80% of all broadcasted dramas, must be able secure time slots with broadcasters before they can secure funding from product-placement - which can cover 10%-20% of the production costs. Unfortunately, this has lead to some major insecurities.

Independent production companies will go after top talent in order to attract major broadcasters. The broadcasters will pick up the dramas that have top talent, but at a tightly budgeted price. The production company, realizing the business model is flawed, face the reality of not being able to pay the cast or crew.

:signal_strength: Dramas can be shot "live" allowing the team to respond to public demands and advertiser demands. This could change the whole outcome of the story. Dramas with high viewership ratings may be given extensions and popular characters can be given more screen time whereas unpopular dramas may receive cuts in episodes and unpopular characters may be written off. This method also leaves time for new advertisers to jump in and support. If a show does well enough, it may even be rewarded a second season! 

signal_strength: "Live-sets", however, are tough on the crew leaving more room for accidents (i.e. liabilities and labour law violations), and doesn't allow for diversity in filming or a high production quality. Pre-produced dramas eliminate these issues, and can open up other revenue opportunities "abroad" by being able to film in unique locations, but they are a risk as they cannot necessarily be reworked if the reception is poor. They are high risk but potentially high reward ("Descendants of the Sun" and "Scarlet Heart: Ryeo" are two examples).

WHERE DO VIEWERSHIP RATINGS COME FROM? 

Each drama is assessed by two companies - AGB Nielsen and TNmS - which occasionally come to the same conclusion on viewership numbers, but when they don't their difference is usually between about 2-3%. Both businesses relies mainly on TV set meterswhose information is sent to headquarters for 2:00am analysis before it's released for the 7am news. Their reports are typically broken down into a "Seoul Capital Area" average and a "Nationwide" average.

AGB Nielsen - South Korea....source credit @https://aminoapps.com/c/k-drama/amp/blog/understanding-viewership-ratings/g01h_6u4blLnz8WZNlB3WNRed7eBg7?__twitter_impression=true...special thanks to @Sword0616

• Like 3

Haters?... they are "NADA" ...they are not that important ...why do you have to waste your precious time on that senseless bitter person?....that bunch of "KSP"? ...the more you react to them.. they're more elated .... Dont give them that privilege....and who are they anyway.....SJK  even promotes and request support for his wife's series....so give more love and support for Encounter specially for SHK... that's more productive... bless you positive people.....thank you all

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Park Bo Gum Meets Song Hye Kyo’s Father For 1st Time On “Encounter”

Park Bo Gum Meets Song Hye Kyo’s Father For 1st Time On “Encounter”

Jan 8, 2019
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Encounter” has revealed an exciting sneak peek of its upcoming episode!

On January 8, the drama unveiled new stills of Kim Jin Hyuk (played by Park Bo Gum) meeting his girlfriend Cha Soo Hyun (Song Hye Kyo)’s father for the very first time.

In the newly released photos, Kim Jin Hyuk unexpectedly runs into Cha Soo Hyun’s father Cha Jong Hyun (played by Moon Sung Geun) in the lobby of the Donghwa Hotel. Although the encounter takes him by surprise, Kim Jin Hyuk appears calm and pulled-together as he offers Cha Jong Hyun a friendly handshake and a warm smile. Cha Jong Hyun responds with a small smile of his own, wearing an attentive gaze that clearly betrays his interest in his daughter’s new boyfriend.

The stills also show Nam Myung Shik (played by Go Chang Suk), who has always been an active and enthusiastic supporter of Kim Jin Hyuk and Cha Soo Hyun’s relationship, happily looking on as the two men meet for the first time.

Encounter.jpg

The next episode of “Encounter” will air on January 9 at 9:30 p.m. KST.

In the meantime, catch up on the latest episode of the drama below!...source credit to @https://www.soompi.com/article/1289273wpp/park-bo-gum-meets-song-hye-kyos-father-1st-time-encounter

• Like 2

'Boyfriend' Content Influence # 1 'Empress'    

Articles, enter 08/01/2019 18:00
Last modified 2019.01.08 at 6:01 pm  / Photo courtesy = CJ E & M
Cable Channel tvN The drama 'Boyfriend' was re-ranked as the No. 1 in contents influence index. 

According to CJ E & M on the 8th, 'Boyfriend' took first place in the first week of January (December 31 ~ January 6) with 269.4 points of Content Influence Index (CPI). 

'Boyfriend' starring Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum are enjoying great popularity with 7 ~ 8% audience ratings. It lasted for a couple of days on December 26th and 27th, but it has proved popular again after the third week of December when it ranks first in the content influence index. 

The SBS drama 'The Empress' was ranked first in Jeonju and ranked 252.6 points. MBC entertainment program 'I live alone' (252.4) followed by MBC entertainment program 'Night - Masked Wang' (246.7). 

The TVN entertainment program 'Coffee Friends' (239.4), which debuted on the 4th, made its debut in the top 5, while the tvN drama 'Memories of the Alhambra Palace' (233.1) dropped to 4th place and ranked 6th.....source credit @https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&aid=0002753585&spi_ref=m_entertain_twitter&spi_ref=m_entertain_twitter....special thanks to @Sword0616
  • Like 3

Annyeong,  everyone.  

First time coming here. Just wanna say that I'm with you in this difficult time.  Hence I wrote a little something for you guys. 

To Hye Gyo Eonnie and fans
Be strong when facing nonsense
Given by sasaeng fans and friends
They might be a little dense
To spend hours sprouting stupid rants

Keep setting admirable trends
While they're busy cursing under the tents
Leaving harsh words through keyboards and pens

To Hye Gyo Eonni and fans
Who rule the sky and lands
Give nothing but a single glance
To those crazy fans
Who lost their common sense

Now let's go and jump over that fence
Hye Gyo Eonnie needs some assistant
To show the world her greatest existence

Love, 

BG's fan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

@tiendoank thanks for dropping by here.. that's very nice of u..I think we are one many fans that strong enough to handle with something like this..

N u have my gratitude for your warm words..:lol:

Why don't SHK n PBG be the BA of car brand?many scene in Encounter was shot in the car..hahaha..that would be awesome if indeed it's happen..

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tiendoank said:

Thank you so much BG fans for the support.

Know that HK fans truly appreciate all this. :heart:

==========================================

Just curious though

Where is this "Fan Wars" happening? 

Because I see negative comments but I still see more positive ones defending it.

There's like 1-5 in every 100 comments who are negative, i think. :joy:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mrsn said:

Haters?... they are "NADA" ...they are not that important ...why do you have to waste your precious time on that senseless bitter person?....that bunch of "KSP"? ...the more you react to them.. they're more elated .... Dont give them that privilege....and who are they anyway.....SJK  even promotes and request support for his wife's series....so give more love and support for Encounter specially for SHK... that's more productive... bless you positive people.....thank you all

@mrsn hello and thank you  for sharing your thoughts!:wub: Exactly what you said "the more you react to them.. they're more elated .... Dont give them that privilege.."

I said that too in my previous post here which was " the more you entertain, the more they will be active on social media just to bash Kyo"

4 hours ago, tiendoank said:

Annyeong,  everyone.  

First time coming here. Just wanna say that I'm with you in this difficult time.  Hence I wrote a little something for you guys. 

To Hye Gyo Eonnie and fans
Be strong when facing nonsense
Given by sasaeng fans and friends
They might be a little dense
To spend hours sprouting stupid rants

Keep setting admirable trends
While they're busy cursing under the tents
Leaving harsh words through keyboards and pens

To Hye Gyo Eonni and fans
Who rule the sky and lands
Give nothing but a single glance
To those crazy fans
Who lost their common sense

Now let's go and jump over that fence

Love, 

BG's fan

@tiendoank hello and thank you for your nice and sweet letter! Very much appreciated! :wub: 

Thank you also for taking our side! Have a nice day! :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

I know everything now.

And I must say, I am so shocked by the people's response. I don't know what to say.

I am beyond sad for SHK. :expressionless:

And I admire her so much for standing strong.

I love her more. 

Currently on the loop: I'll stand by you by Carrie Underwood:wub:

• Like 4

I was suppose to be sad

But then I did a couple more research and although there are negative comments, they are from fake accounts and they are more than overpowered by love from SHK fans.

So NO.

I refuse to be sad about this. :joy:

Let's show them. We should have higher numbers for the drama!

• Like 1

dukesa1122  So worried by whatever is happening. Just wish to know, is it over or still ongoing? I love Kyo, and always include her in my prayers. Thanks.

And sorry i dont know how to tag someone.

Edited by OSKheng
To add further
  • Like 3

@OSKheng you can tag someone by putting the "@" sign and then the exact username of the member.

Spoiler

Im sad about what is happening and shocked because some people are so low like that. Haters are grabbing this chance to bash her. But also happy, because despite it all, i see light. It is true that she has more than established her Hallyu Queen status. Her fans are more than ready to defend her in any SNS I see by posting facts about the drama. And I am doing the same thing <3

You can also help her more by creating a buzz about Encounter. 

• Like 2

Kyo had been through the hardships before, much more worse than this one. This is only for work and if those nonsense stupid fans bash her bcos it was her work, then they aren’t worth to mention. Those bashing could come from haters, not necessary from ss fans, of cos I know there are quite a lot of obsessive ss fans whom think kyo and jk can’t work with other actors, just them together “ crazy madness “  *grow up* and get a life. They aren’t fans in my book. Let’s just try our best to ignore them, this will be bygone, kyo is a strong cookie and she has tons of delicate fans whom support   her. Those nasty comments always seems louder but they are few comparing to the positive supports. True fans would never bash her works.

and pardon me, it was just a kiss for god sake . Why made that stupid noise , they are actors, it’s their jobs. Nuts :crazy: . Ppl are getting crazy

Fighting, just trying hanging in for a few weeks and let’s doing our best to support encounter . 

@tiendoank thanks for the kind words :wub:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Very well said @utkim :thumbsup:

Spoiler
1 hour ago, utkim said:

and pardon me, it was just a kiss for god sake .

We all know it wasn't because of this. Haters are just riding on the tide to get chance to pick on our Kyo. Funny though, they hate but they hide in fake accounts. :tounge_xd:

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dukesa1122 said:

Very well said @utkim :thumbsup:

Hide contents

We all know it wasn't because of this. Haters are just riding on the tide to get chance to pick on our Kyo. Funny though, they hate but they hide in fake accounts. :tounge_xd:

Well it doesn’t surprise me if those nasty comments come from haters as this isn’t the first time they bash kyo for no reason. But like said  kyo is a strong woman and she has now jk beside her, I am not worry. Let’s try to keep this thread happy and fun chingus. 

I just try to enjoy and support the drama the best I can cos we dun know when we get to see her in a next project ...anytime soon...

• Like 5
  • LOL 1