[drama 2008] Robbers 불한당

Guest o-cha

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amber, o-cha...after watching Ep 7, I can't help but concur with everything you guys have just commented on this episode.

I loved this episode a lot, it's my favourite episode. Just like what Amber said, it's unique because the drama doesn't pull you in closing up on the big picture, but pulls you in by emphasising on minor and small details which just naturally touches and warms up your heart. You want a story, the whole picture, but the drama gives you a lil bit of this and that, which just makes you think beyond what's shown in each of the scenes, going deep into the core and souls of each character. Such nuance, coupled with the subtlety it projects.. I can't help but love this drama more and more.

I really loved Soon Dae and Oh Joon's scenes. Soon Dae's just like her mother we can see..she falls for Oh Joon in a blink of an eye. Altho she's sort of spoilt by Dal Rae in a way..I thought it was particularly intricate for the director to focus on Soon Dae's caring personality as well. She's just like her mother, she cares for ppl with the most genuine and heartfelt concern.The way she caressed and tended to Oh Joon's wounds was so endearing..and you can't help but just want them to become a family. It's so heartwarming, that it made me smile non-stop. And man the part of Soon Dae talking about the "hair" OMG..that got me laughing like crazy. THAT girl actress is SO PRO! hahahaha...

Other than that, I also loved Dal Rae and her MIL's scenes. LDH and Kim Hye Sook played out that scene very beautifully. KHS managed to capture the complex feelings of a person having to choose btween her own happiness and her daughter's happiness. I was very impressed with how she managed to portray that mixed emotion, struggling to withhold her love for Dal Rae and to put out a heartless side of her. The beautiful and yet sad thing about that scene was that Dal Rae was perfectly aware of her MIL's feelings. She knew her MIL was trying hard to push her away, not because she didn't like her, but because her MIL thought she owed Dal Rae the last 5 years of her youth. Such a touching and heartfelt scene.. LDH again shined with her cying skills (I cried T.T)...and man she cries beautifully..hehehe..

On to uri Oh Joon and Dal Rae, ahh..I love them together. Their kiss was just perfect! Esp after reading Amber's analysis of how that scene didn't require any special lightings or effects, I totally concur that it was played out beautifully. From their silent communication, to Oh Joon's gentle touch on Dal Rae's face... it was just a simple but sweet ounce of affection shown by both individuals. :wub: And oh, I forgot about Man Doo..he was there too! It's cute how Oh Joon wanted to affirm his words by relying on Man Doo.. I thought he'd already realise his love for Dal Rae. But the drama went on to show that even Oh Joon's trying to confrim that he's not living under pretense anymore, and that Dal Rae's just more than a prey. It totally displayed the extent as to which Oh Joon's been affected by this girl Dal Rae..to the extent that he wanted to re-affirm his own said words to prove his genuinity. This I must say was a very nice touch by the writer..

There were many other enjoyable scenes in this episode...that if I had to point them out, I'd probably take up a whole page. But overall, I'd say this episode was my fav episode so far. :D

A recurring theme in Jin Goo's life?? ^_^

bulhandange08080124hdtvab4.jpg

e08080124hdtvxvidentalack6.jpg

e08080124hdtvxvidentalazn1.jpg

8180es7.jpg

He's not going to get the girl in the end, but don't take Soon Dae away from him too! :( She's the only one who makes him smile!

2008012608045510011ny2.jpg

Thanks for the OST!

Hey, that girl doll bears an uncanny resemblance to Soon Dae. :blush: How cute!! What are they called - PUCCA dolls?

Guest imogene_af

Amber, o-cha...after watching Ep 7, I can't help but concur with everything you guys have just commented on this episode.

I loved this episode a lot, it's my favourite episode. Just like what Amber said, it's unique because the drama doesn't pull you in closing up on the big picture, but pulls you in by emphasising on minor and small details which just naturally touches and warms up your heart. You want a story, the whole picture, but the drama gives you a lil bit of this and that, which just makes you think beyond what's shown in each of the scenes, going deep into the core and souls of each character. Such nuance, coupled with the subtlety it projects.. I can't help but love this drama more and more.

Glad you loved Episode 7... it was a very touching episode, indeed. And it never goes overly dramatic and shoving in your face kind of cheesy and sappy kind of touching. It just remains very close to home, no matter how far-fetch some of the instances are they manage to make it relatable. Now go watch Epi 8! :lol:

cutiepie Thanks for the MV! Will watch it later when it's done downloading.

Jo- OMG! Thanks for the OST!!! I LOVE, LOVE,LOVE it. There's an English version to one of the songs and it's very beautiful. This soundtrack is just loooove. So thanks for the rar file.

jahye Thanks for the Soon Dae and Jin Goo pictures... my heart breaks again at the sight of his ex-wife and him. :tears:

I am falling for JinGu.

oh to see him find a youth that he never had....he and soondae - just make my heart explode with hopefulness for him.

and the ending - i thinking to myself - Dalrae is probably saying to herself -\

you've messed with the wrong person Oh Joon -

and when yonah was asking "did he tell you a story about a younger sister and cry?"

OUCH!

Guest monoceros

i think it was unfair when jin goo blamed his father for not showing his affection for him as a child? I feel like the scriptwriters are trying to excuse Jin Goo's anomalous antisocial behavior with his lack of attention as a child, but it's not like he went through anything extraordinary.

His father didn't play airplane with him? well... at least he didn't beat him or starve him. I know it was a campaign for pity or at least understanding for this unusually isolated character, but I don't think it works. Instead of feeling sorry for him, I was more put off by his temper tantrum. He should be old enough to know that not every family works the same way, and that he has been so much luckier than so many people out there and be grateful, or at least aware of this.

Instead, he acts like a spoiled brat. "Did you ever do the same for me?" Even his father later says "I can't starve to sing for you." Sure, maybe his father could've found time to spend with him, but that's not even the point. He sees one very lucky child surrounded by an environment of compassion and expressive love, and he feels wronged?

Jang Hyuk alway seems to be the guy you think you may like one sec then a jerk in the next and has you bouncing back and forth trying to make up your mind if he a good guy after all or where you right about him being a bad guy after all.

But as with 'bright girl' and 'thank you' you alway find out that he has reason for acting as he did.

As yet I have not seen why he has chosen to con woman when he clearly smart enough to get $ in a less despicable manner, unless they cover this I simple can not see him as a good guy but flawed.

Guest jenny____x

i know that jingoo isnt going to end up with dallrae at the end, but i want him to win so bad!

i really like his character.

i love janghyuk, but hes just such a jerk!

eeek. i know hes trying to change for the better, but meh.

Guest imogene_af

i think it was unfair when jin goo blamed his father for not showing his affection for him as a child? I feel like the scriptwriters are trying to excuse Jin Goo's anomalous antisocial behavior with his lack of attention as a child, but it's not like he went through anything extraordinary.

His father didn't play airplane with him? well... at least he didn't beat him or starve him. I know it was a campaign for pity or at least understanding for this unusually isolated character, but I don't think it works. Instead of feeling sorry for him, I was more put off by his temper tantrum. He should be old enough to know that not every family works the same way, and that he has been so much luckier than so many people out there and be grateful, or at least aware of this.

Instead, he acts like a spoiled brat. "Did you ever do the same for me?" Even his father later says "I can't starve to sing for you." Sure, maybe his father could've found time to spend with him, but that's not even the point. He sees one very lucky child surrounded by an environment of compassion and expressive love, and he feels wronged?

I think his father just never showed any kind of affection towards him and tends to treat him like a robot rather than a son. But that was all normal for them. He was brought up that way, being socially awkward and inept seemed normal for him, until he realizes he has no friends, a bitter divorce, and complete detachment with everyone around him.

I think Jin Goo's sudden outburst is from years and years of this detachment. Jin Goo never showed any kind of an extreme emotion throughout the drama until this point. His father always had a way of stepping on him as a person. I thought it was pretty symbolic how he would come into the office knocking out everything in sight. It was as if, "Wall Street businessman? You do not impress me!"

Of course, blaming it all on the father would be unfair. There's still a story to capture in that father-son relationship. I mean asking your son if he hates you every single time seems like a not so normal relationship to me. I also believe that one of the reasons why Jin Goo's ex-wife left was because of his father. His father wants a caregiver. Not a daughter in law. That's why Dal Rae is perfect for him. His father says it too... that it was stupid for Jin Goo to marry a smart woman because she'll end up divorcing him. Getting Dal Rae means having a 24/7 caregiver.

I don't think the father was painted as a villain there too, because later on he showed regret when he leaves the office.

bjharm I don't think there can be any justification for Oh Joon's character being a conman. All we know about him was he had an absentee father and his sister's abusive husband stabbed him on his stomach. He has never been the same since. Is that enough justification? I personally don't really think so.

Man Doo believes he was once a good person because Oh Joon was the only one who ever treated him as a friend... and also Oh Joon did save his life.

From what I see with Oh Joon he is a very dark character, down to the dumps kind of miscreant, who finds redemption in the most unlikely place.

He is a flawed guy, that's it. It is literally like falling in love with an antagonist. He has every characteristic of any drama villain and yet we have him centered in. We deal with his inner demons. I think that is the whole point of this drama, in my humble opinion.

Thank you ay_link and WITHS2 ! I'm sure I'll have fun watching episode 5...it is so intense...I'm sute I'll enjoy it more with eng subs.

ripgal : yay..you watched eps 7..Isn't it such a sweek episode? Episode 7 is purely <3 ..hehehe.

imogene_af : I don't think I should watch eps 8 today...I watched eps 7 last night and ended up staying awake until 2 AM..probably not a good way to spend vacation..instead of resting up I ended up staring at my laptop the whole time watching..hehehe.

monoceros : I agree that it is unfair for Jin Goo to just blame his father..but I think it's really just his pent up frustration finally 'exploding'. All of his thirtysomething years he's kept his mouth shut about his feelings towards his father. Now he finally has the courage to speak up...I hope the two patch things up in the future...at least they are finally beginning to open up to one another.

bjharm : I'm actually beginning to doubt that we will ever know what caused Oh Joon to choose a profession as a con-man. Somehow I get the feeling that maybe the writer wants to portray him as a 'bad' person.

When I think about Oh Joon I think that the reason why he still cons women (despite him being a pretty intelligent/street smart guy) is that conning women is easy money for him...and since he is so good at that why would he want to change profession. Yeah he isn't proud of his profession and he secretly despises himself for doing that..but the money is just too easy...plus he has yet to find a reason to stop...until he fell for Dal Rae that is....

I want to know why he became a con-man...but like I said somehow I'm not sure if that will ever ve answered..I sure hope it does get answered though.

ww2000hyuk , jahye : thanks for the pics. jahye--love how you have the 3 pics of Jin Goo with the 3 ladies..hehehe.

cutiepie , ripgal : much love to you two for the BTS, MV, and the OST links. You two are awesome.

OMG I found something very interesting about Robbers..it's related to 2 members of Shinhwa Andy and Eric.. :lol:

I'm not sure if it's true, but I found this in a chinese forum, translated by a Shinhwa fan who just accounted what Andy said in the Shinhwa Concert..

When they were asked about their recent leisure activities at home, Andy said he and Eric were quite engrossed with a recent drama Robbers. And they were particularly intrigued by Soon Dae and Jin Goo's scene in Ep 4 where she was adamant that Jin Goo should play the "aeroplane" with her if he wanted to apologise. Apparently, playful Andy and Eric actually "role-played" that scene a lot of times.. and to add on, they even called their friends asking them if they wanted to play "aeroplane"... :lol:

credits:

神话私窦 by 金yy

Shinhwa BD吧 by偶的六头啊

百度andy吧 夜夜An心

---

Sooo cute..seems like Robbers is not only attracting Ahjummas..hehehe..

Guest monoceros

I think his father just never showed any kind of affection towards him and tends to treat him like a robot rather than a son. But that was all normal for them. He was brought up that way, being socially awkward and inept seemed normal for him, until he realizes he has no friends, a bitter divorce, and complete detachment with everyone around him.

I think Jin Goo's sudden outburst is from years and years of this detachment. Jin Goo never showed any kind of an extreme emotion throughout the drama until this point. His father always had a way of stepping on him as a person. I thought it was pretty symbolic how he would come into the office knocking out everything in sight. It was as if, "Wall Street businessman? You do not impress me!"

Of course, blaming it all on the father would be unfair. There's still a story to capture in that father-son relationship. I mean asking your son if he hates you every single time seems like a not so normal relationship to me. I also believe that one of the reasons why Jin Goo's ex-wife left was because of his father. His father wants a caregiver. Not a daughter in law. That's why Dal Rae is perfect for him. His father says it too... that it was stupid for Jin Goo to marry a smart woman because she'll end up divorcing him. Getting Dal Rae means having a 24/7 caregiver.

I don't think the father was painted as a villain there too, because later on he showed regret when he leaves the office.

monoceros : I agree that it is unfair for Jin Goo to just blame his father..but I think it's really just his pent up frustration finally 'exploding'. All of his thirtysomething years he's kept his mouth shut about his feelings towards his father. Now he finally has the courage to speak up...I hope the two patch things up in the future...at least they are finally beginning to open up to one another.

thx imogene_af and o-cha

. it makes sense and it's makes it a much more redeemable act to look at it as Jin Goo momentarily losing his rationality and becoming more expressive.

it's interesting because before i posted i was so adament (I paused at the scene to come here and comment) about Jin Goo and what I perceived to be his immaturity and I was sitting there thinking.. why did the scriptwriters do this? He now looks like an overgrown baby, much worse than a simply gauche and crude business man

...and then after your comments i renewed my love (at least interest) for him.

but beyond that, in ep 7, I thought there was a kind of awkward scene when Jin Goo goes up to MAn Doo and maniac-ally [made up word meant to mean "as if like a maniac or pertaining to maniac-ness] asks him to believe in him or if he believes in him... I understand it leads to important scene (the scene where they dance and lose their voices so that Dalrae has to lean in to hear) and it keeps the pacing up but personally... i thought it was very surreal.

it seems like no one else minded because there are raving reviews for ep 7, and i agree it was a nice episode but.. this scene really stuck out because... it was so strange. Do normal people do that? Even if they did... do they do it that way? I think the argument that he needed trust from another person before he does anything true... is sweet...... but the way it played out was less unconvincing.

^ Haha..it's Oh Joon you're referring to, not Jin Goo. I read it a few times before I realised you were talking about OJ asking MD to believe in what he's saying. :lol:

I thought it was a pretty unique touch by the writer.. albeit a bit out of the blue. Maybe the scene was less convincing because we'd never really expected it to be played out that way. It's a bit un-real I have to admit..However, I thought that part really showed how much OJ was willing to change for Dal Rae. We've been raving about how Oh Joon's such a complex and grey character, always wavering between reality and pretense. We at times didn't even know what was going thru Oh Joon's mind.. and that scene kinda reflected Oh Joon's disbelief in himself too. He himself doesn't know what's true and what's not. I guess he just wanted some kind of confirmation from a person whom he knew to be of pure integrity and that was his friend Man Doo, whom he knew he could trust wholeheartedly. A friend who wouldn't lie to him, and would never hesistate to tell him off about his despicable antics. It's more like a security to Oh Joon.. at least he knows that his feelings for Dal Rae isn't just merely hunter-prey atm.. aiks.. I duno if I made sense..

Archived