Asian Sororities.

Guest yunhee

^ LOL YES

wish me luck guys.

i be pledgin' this year!

im thinking about rushing this fall quarter at UCI. I've narrowed it down to two: Alpha Kappa Delta Phi and Kappa Zeta Phi.

suggestions?

DO KAPPA ZETA PHI FOR DAMNNNNNNN SURE.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lilazn04

how long would it take an interest group of an asian sorority to become a colony?? i think my school wants to start an interest group of KPL

Guest mz simmonz

how long would it take an interest group of an asian sorority to become a colony?? i think my school wants to start an interest group of KPL

have you contacted KPL's expansion chair/advisor? they should be able to give you more details.

anywhoo, aKDPhi alum here :P

Kind of forgot what heated topics Greek life can stir up! haha. Like some people pointed out already, it all depends on the organization and even more specifically, each individual chapter. Since this thread is about Asian-Interest sororities, I'll just focus on the ones I know of personally. I checked out two other soros before I finally found aKDPhi. (I wanted to do KPL since my friend was a sister at another school but I didn't click with the sisters on my campus at all. Then I rushed for a smaller local soro, Delta Psi Sigma and the girls were uber nice but I still felt like I didn't quite bond with them beyond just a classmate kind of way). Thennnn lo and behold, I checked out alpha Kappa Delta Phi and I bonded with the sisters instantly. I'm a social person but I would not have met this many people or had so many experiences or roadtripped half as much if I didn't join. It really really is what you can take from the sorority and what you can contribute. It is also about the different personalities of each chapter and even sometimes each class. Every semester brings in something new with new sisters, graduating sisters, transfer outs and transfer ins, etc. It's easy to stereotype but let's not forget any organization has their problems as well as benefits. From the outside looking in, every soro girl is the same. From the inside you know the real story. The good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful, we've got it all haha. We have girls who are currently in grad school (pharmacy, optemetry, med school), 3.8 GPA's to girls on academic probation (by policy they are not to be participating in most sorority events so they have more time to study and boost their GPA), die-hard soro members who attend all events, to members who barely come out at all, out spoken ones who serve on e-board to demure ones that don't speak out much, you get the point. We always encourage sisters to participate in events (and ESPECIALLY volunteer for Breast Cancer Awareness year-round..hello BCA month!), set an example for the younger sisters, manage their time well and be a well rounded student and young women. But we're not your parents. You're a legal adult. You are free to make your own choices and if you wish to give credit to the soro for your accomplishments or blame them for your failures then that's all up to the individual.

oops that was longer than I intended. Basically for all you ladies who have questions/concerns, just go to rush (check out their websites/facebooks/etc and ask the orgs/frats that interact w/ them most) and just mingle. See who you connect with best. Who knows maybe you'll end up joining the sorority you intended or one you never even heard of or you wont even go Greek at all. I'm happy I made the decision to join a sorority, it enriched my college years and though I'm an alum, I'm still subscribed to my chapter listserve, attend events here and there and remain very close to my sisters :)

good luck to all the fall 2008 pledges :D

Guest FraZZLE

Why do fraternities/sororities (mostly sororities) only accept attractive members? If that's not superficial, I don't know what is.

Guest jvang_07

*Shrugs*

It's typical, get together for an hour. Chat about things. It's mostly consist of Hmong, for our Asian clubs.

I joined because it'll look good on a resume, and plus, getting to know the people around you, or like something about getting to know your people. I wouldn't consider myself white-wash, but I'm somewhat am. I grew up around Cauasian people and it was hard to adjust to a different community.

Not only about camping trips, upcoming events to do this and that, but a great way to get know upperclassmen.

Guest lilazn04

this question is for ppl who already in sorority. is it require to go though rush and the pledging stage again if you are in that sorority interest group?

Guest Creamy chicken

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is rushing and the pledging process like? :sweatingbullets: I heard the pledging process is really hard, but why?

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is rushing and the pledging process like? :sweatingbullets: I heard the pledging process is really hard, but why?

the rushing process is basically just you showing up to fun little events or info nights and learning about the sorority or fraternity. these events may or may not include getting hella drunk.

the pledging process... well it always depends on the organization. many national orgs have a very short pledge process, but pay more expensive dues. asian orgs are known to have a much more intense process which ranges from 6-25 weeks.

during this process you learn what it is like with your pledge class what it means to be in that particular organization. depending on what organization it is, you may be focusing on academics, a specific major, culture, community service, or just flat out social/networking. of course, most organizations focus on all of them at some point. you are, after all, in college to get an education.

as far as i know, most orgs hold exchanges, socials, and just random events with one another, which give syou the chance to network and make new friends. again, depending on what org, this may or may not include you getting ultra super inebriated, but some orgs hold "dry" events, which means no alcohol or illicit substances are being used at the time.

another thing about asian orgs is that most of them are local, which basically means they are not subject to the national law of non-hazing. hazing is basically what everyone thinks of when they think of organizations, you know, doing publically humiliating things, hurting one's self, drinking not because you want to but because people are "teaching you," things like that. but in reality, the pledge process varies from org to org.

and although i have said what i have said, i am actually pledging right now. i've thoroughly experienced the rush process with several organizations and i am also in a "little sister" program, so yeahhhh...

always rush. don't be so sure that all fraternites and sororities are terrible things and all you do is party and get messed up and change for the worst. maybe you'll find your family there.

Guest lilazn04

the rushing process is basically just you showing up to fun little events or info nights and learning about the sorority or fraternity. these events may or may not include getting hella drunk.

the pledging process... well it always depends on the organization. many national orgs have a very short pledge process, but pay more expensive dues. asian orgs are known to have a much more intense process which ranges from 6-25 weeks.

during this process you learn what it is like with your pledge class what it means to be in that particular organization. depending on what organization it is, you may be focusing on academics, a specific major, culture, community service, or just flat out social/networking. of course, most organizations focus on all of them at some point. you are, after all, in college to get an education.

as far as i know, most orgs hold exchanges, socials, and just random events with one another, which give syou the chance to network and make new friends. again, depending on what org, this may or may not include you getting ultra super inebriated, but some orgs hold "dry" events, which means no alcohol or illicit substances are being used at the time.

another thing about asian orgs is that most of them are local, which basically means they are not subject to the national law of non-hazing. hazing is basically what everyone thinks of when they think of organizations, you know, doing publically humiliating things, hurting one's self, drinking not because you want to but because people are "teaching you," things like that. but in reality, the pledge process varies from org to org.

and although i have said what i have said, i am actually pledging right now. i've thoroughly experienced the rush process with several organizations and i am also in a "little sister" program, so yeahhhh...

always rush. don't be so sure that all fraternites and sororities are terrible things and all you do is party and get messed up and change for the worst. maybe you'll find your family there.

like i read at other forums and topics, they say that asians orgs are more intense with their pledging. i wonder is there a reason why?

btw, wat sorority you yu pledging for now? also it seem like CA has the little sister program. over in NY, it doesnt seem liek they have something like this.

im thinking about rushing for a sorority next year.

Guest onesmartcookie

asian orgs are known to have a much more intense process which ranges from 6-25 weeks.

25 weeks?! you serious?!

woww.

Guest misslilazn

im pledging right now and the process takes 2 quarters!

which one are you pledging for now? 2 quarters? how long is that?

my school does it by semester. so does it mean one semester meaning like 4 months? or less? or more?

like i read at other forums and topics, they say that asians orgs are more intense with their pledging. i wonder is there a reason why?

btw, wat sorority you yu pledging for now? also it seem like CA has the little sister program. over in NY, it doesnt seem liek they have something like this.

im thinking about rushing for a sorority next year.

the reason why is because we have a typically different mission than most national orgs

and.. well, in all honesty, multicultural or asian interest organizations are just more hardcore, no joke

i'm currently pledging for kappa psi epsilon. as far as i know, alpha sigma lambda, theta delta beta, beta upsilon delta, and zeta phi rho have little sister programs here in california. then again, CA has a SUPER HUGE population of asians, so...

you should rush. if you're interested, then i think you should mosdef rush more than one sorority to see where you really feel like you fit in or who you get along with most

my school does it by semester. so does it mean one semester meaning like 4 months? or less? or more?

2 quarters is 22 weeks.

but it depends on the class.

Hmm.. Not sure if this was asked before but...

If it comes to a situation where you really like a sorority but you don't get a bid, would it be sensible to even try rushing again? I mean, they were really nice @_@ and somehow all remember your name, but just didn't make it this quarter. I liked the girls a lot, because they seemed very laid-back but should I really try rushing again in Spring? That, and like four other girls I knew got in, including two friends, so it made me even more determined to try again.

Hmm.. Not sure if this was asked before but...

If it comes to a situation where you really like a sorority but you don't get a bid, would it be sensible to even try rushing again? I mean, they were really nice @_@ and somehow all remember your name, but just didn't make it this quarter. I liked the girls a lot, because they seemed very laid-back but should I really try rushing again in Spring? That, and like four other girls I knew got in, including two friends, so it made me even more determined to try again.

yeah you should if you feel like you really clicked with them

some orgs like to look out for YOUR best interest first so if you made it clear to them that maybe this would get in your way, they didn't give you a bid

some orgs have caps, also, for like how many they can give bids to

or if you made it seem like you were going to pledge next quarter, then they could be waiting there

i've heard 3-4 instances of people rushing again and getting in that time, so

good luck to you!

Guest globlue

im pledging for Kappa Zeta Phis right now. so for me, 2 quarters is about 6 months. im not sure about your school since its on a semester system. you can always just ask one of the actives

Archived