Asian Sororities.

Guest yunhee

Guest iamneena

joining a sorority has its ups and downs

greek life is not for everyone

i have to admit pledging for an asian sorority is quite hard and you will face challenges you may or may not over come

but overall it was a great experience for me

although im not affiliated anymore

the relationships i have made throughout my time in greek are strong and will last for a lifetime

like i said greek life is not for everyone

i dont regret any of the choices i have made while in greek

if anything go rush and check out different sororities

if its not for you its not for you

you never know untill you try

i cherish every memory i have made while in greek<3

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest r0ckstar L0ve

oo i would like to know more about pledging. how long do they usually take before you are accepted? what exactly do you do? i have seen people in those banana suits and gorilla suits but those are frats. i know it's serious stuff that takes a lot of time and energy but not sure what they do o.O

You rush anywhere from one to two weeks. You go to social events and meet the girls and depending on the sorority, you are either extended an offer for an interview or you just sign up for one. Then, if they decide to extend you an offer to join the sorority, it is called a bid. When you accept the bid, you become a pledge. A pledge is someone who has to go through a trial period before becoming full fledged member of the sorority. During the time you pledge, you can be kicked out by force (voted out) or you can leave on your own free will.

Pledging is totally different story. Every sorority has their own pledging activities. What I will tell you is that the activities are designed to bring you closer as a pledge class. Remember, you are not choosing your new "friends" (aka pledge sisters), the sorority is choosing you all as a class, so you might not get along with everyone. Regardless of that fact, you MUST be friends/sister with them by the end of the pledge period, and it's not as easy as it sounds. The activities you do will sometimes seem completely pointless, and sometimes they are. A sorority is made up of your peers. When you pledge you will see that equality disappear for your entire pledging period. You become inferior in a sense that you have not become on of them. While pledging for that sorority may be a standardized process, you are still dealing with hormonal girls who sometimes bring personal feelings/fights into pledging. Once you are finished, it is expected that all hard feelings will not stand and that you will be sisters for the rest of your life.

In regards to cherishing every memory of greek life, not that I'm trying to offend or bash on you, but i can assure you not every memory you have will be cherished or even pleasant. If you are pledging for any of the nationalized asian sororities, I can almost guarantee there will be many tears shed and many hard nights to come. The bonds you make CAN be incredible, but the bonds you might break while going through the process/finishing the process are sometimes the price to pay. Pledging can also change who you are, not saying that it will, but there is always a MAJOR possibility.

I write this not to discourage anyone, but just so that girls who decide they want to join a sorority know the true facts before they dive in. Please be VERY aware that you will be making very big sacrifices. And of course I am open to any questions.

Guest aaandy

I'm really confused - if frats/sororities are such a good thing to have on your resume, why did my friend lose his scholarship when the uni found out he had joined?

Was your friend involved in sports? You can't be in a fraternity if you are a sport scholarship athlete.

I too want to join a sorority, but my cousin pledged for one and when I asked her about possible hazing issues she just declined to comment. I forget which one she was in though... my good friend joined a well-known asian interest frat and when I asked him about the same issue, he told me to go and 'experience' it myself and all the 'good' things in life when you 'go greek'. < so totally trying to divert my attention away from the issue. LOL

its cuz they take an oath not to talk about it.

its not that they dont wanna tell you. the promised in the beginning not to.

Guest aaandy

Asian fraternities and sororities are hardcore when it comes to hazing. There is no use denying it and it's well known among the greek community.

It is no secret, more embarrassing I'd say.

Guest r0ckstar L0ve

Asian fraternities and sororities are hardcore when it comes to hazing. There is no use denying it and it's well known among the greek community.

It is no secret, more embarrassing I'd say.

totally agree. Be aware of the practices of sororities and fraternities, pledging is not just a harmless phase of your life. Look at a certain fraternity in Texas that has been suspended till 2011 for the death of one of their brothers, that is a testament to just how bad pledging can get.

The reason why no one will tell you what pledging really entails before you rush or accept a bid, is because if they told you, you would be completely discouraged. True, some are bound by oaths, but more often than not, many of them haven't taken oaths and choose not to say anything based on principle.

This "principle" that i'm talking about is this mentality: you must EARN your greek letters, and until you have, you are totally inferior and do not deserve them until you have fought every battle and cried every last tear for them.

Yes, you can make connections, but you could really be finding the same kind of connection within a different organization, whether it be greek or not. People say that the only way to form this kind of special bond is to pledge and join a sorority, but this simply isn't true, it is NOT the only way in college to create amazing friendships.

Guest ForestRain

I plan on joining a sorority, and thankfully it is not one race (as most sororities seem to be-> but not necessarily a bad thing) it is a multi-cultural sorority and does not have all that partying and crap going for them so I hope to join that one next year but as most sororities its not that easy getting in heh (like joining clubs)

sororities get a bad rep but you should just check for yourself and judge for yourself...

STOP GENERALIZING. If you have never been in one and never attempted part of the pledging process, you shouldn't input on things you don't know about. Feel free to say why you DIDN'T join, but making assumptions and generalizations on things you've never been a part of is just silly.

Each sorority and fraternity is different on every campus. That is the reason that you rush, so you can meet the people. I absolutely love my sorority and each member. I was not hazed during my pledging process. That doesn't mean it wasn't difficult, challenging, and straining, because it definitely was. I joined an Asian-Interest sorority. Pledging made me a stronger person and yes, going through challenges made me closer with my pledge sisters. The sisters in the sorority never put us down or tried to hurt us while we pledged, they were encouraging and helpful. This may be the dynamic of my sorority on my campus. ALL SORORITIES ON EVERY CAMPUS ARE DIFFERENT. Joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I could have made and I never regret it. I'm just disappointed that so many people seem to have a bad impression of Greek organizations.

As for dues, I only pay ~$150 in dues per semester, and most of it is cut down through fund raising. If you can't afford it, there is always a way to pay and members will help you figure it out. Don't let money be the reason you don't go out.

It's not for everyone, but it's wonderful. In high school I would NEVER have expected to join a sorority, but I went out on a whim and did it, and I've never regretted it at all.

Guest TyneeTom

what are asian sororities like?

because, i've never ever thought of joining one - until recently

i have no knowledge of greek life.

yea.. experiences, advice, anything is welcome.

thnx

They full of cute girls, yeah!!

Guest r0ckstar L0ve

DON'T ASSUME. now, did bolding your letters make your point any more valid than mine? whether or not i am part of a greek organization is NOT for you to speculate or judge. In my earlier postings i never said ALL asian greeks hazed, i said MOST. And, as i posted earlier, I'm not against anyone joining a greek org, I specifically stated that I hope that potential rushees know what they are signing up for. Plus, some asian sororities that say they are against hazing when you rush/pledge initially drop all pretenses later on. My posts are meant to WARN girls, not to DISCOURAGE them. You are very lucky to be in a great sisterhood, appreciate it, but there are some organizations out there who do not have as loving or encouraging of a pledge process as your org does, something i do not think you understand. My words are to be taken with a grain of salt for those who intend to rush/pledge. Pledging isn't always a fun, little happy bubble, and i think those who intend to pledge deserve full disclosure. Many practices during pledging should remain sacred. Sisterhood is sacred. Hazing, is NOT.

And, your organization is very much a LUCKY exception to this hazing rule, unless you are in self denial. Take a look at the MAJOR sororities in the south and on the west coast. Your org has many "charters" but these sororities have full fledged chapters. Don't think for a second that any of these organizations have an easy, go lucky pledging process. Think again before you tell me not to generalize.

Guest koneee

So pretty much to sum it all up, if you pledged for a sorority that hazed, that kind of sucks for you.

If you pledged for a sorority that didn't haze you, awesome for you.

BUT

You guys just have to go out there and see what they have to offer for you and how they will provide it for you.

You guys will determine whether or not if this is worth pledging for.

Sure there are plenty of organizations that haze, but that also means that there are also plenty of organizations that DON'T haze. It's up to you guys to find which ones they are. If you are totally against their way of pledging, you have the right to depledge anytime you want. It's up to you if you want the letters or not, nothing is forced upon you.

They're not forcing you to go through this pledging process, all they will do is offer you a bid if you show that you are a potential sister.

You have the right to accept that bid or decline it.

After that, you're on your own and the sorority decides how to pledge you.

Now, pledging for guys is a totally different story.. that's.. just bad news. haha.

Guest xoxobbygrl

everyone hazes.. its not hazing, its lessons.

but i know for some guy sororities, they actually do haze.

im planning to join a sorority next quarter, so i was wondering what do diffferent sororities do if possible. thanks!

I'm sorry, but can someone briefly explain what exactly is "HAZE" ??

The first part is to answer the four above questions:

1. Asian sororities generally don't have a limit, they usually extend a bid to those that they see will fit in.

2. I hate to say this but in an asian sorority there is drama, jealousy, all of what you stated. One reason for this is because it is a group of girls, and you will fight!

3. Once you cross, your social life is almost completely the sorority.

4. Some sororities don't have this, and if they did it would be like secret santa, just getting one gift.

Some of you might think that some of my answers are a bit harsh, but let me give you the TRUE facts and tips on rushing and pledging and asian sorority.

1) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS know what EXACTLY you are signing up for. Never ask if they will "haze" you because the answer will always be no. Technically, hazing is illegal but they will never come right out and say it. But, sadly to say most mainstream asian greek organizations will haze you.

2) Rushing is completely different from pledging. During rush, your entire relationship with the active house is completely different than what it is during pledging. You are on an equal level when you rush, you are completely inferior as a pledge.

3) Expect to make a HUGE time commitment. If you plan on pledging you better make sure your grades are amazing and that you have great time management skills. Do not go in thinking it will be easy.

4) Pledging is MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY, and PHYSICALLY straining. I will not name them, but the largest asian sororities all have the same pledging format.

5) If you want to be extended a bid, all i can say is mirror who you see. These girls judge and scrutinize you EVERY step of the way. They are judgmental and talk about you and all of your flaws throughout the entire process. Be VERY aware of what you say and how you interact with actives. If anyone tries to tell you differently, they're lying.

I have so much more to say to those who are thinking about rushing, but I will refrain. I can answer any questions anyone has about the pledging process.

Hey 'r0ckstar L0ve' ! thanks for your respond.

and thanks for those facts,, for #4, may i ask what type of things they will ask u to do during pledging..? If you are allow to say them? And how long are the pledging? it various from school to school..?

The resaon i ask is because I'm clueless,,, I'm kinda of interested in joining so, like everyone say, go to rush and experienced my self and see..

And a friend told me that every sororities has like its parther, fraternities. Like, they match up. So, whenever there are party, sisters and brothers are there in case someone make trouble.. is that true?

Guest xoxobbygrl

everything is about mentality...

yeah, rockstar love said almsot everything.. you can build as strong bond with your pledgesisters but then at the same time, there will be so many hard nights and tears.. rushing and pledging is really 2 different thing...

pledging for spring is the shortest..

i guess if you have a strong will to be in it.. you`'ll finish the pledge prcoess.. but if you have no will to, you`ll give up pledging easily cause its such a hassle ..

you just have to experience it yourself.....

Guest Hoii

And, your organization is very much a LUCKY exception to this hazing rule, unless you are in self denial. Take a look at the MAJOR sororities in the south and on the west coast. Your org has many "charters" but these sororities have full fledged chapters. Don't think for a second that any of these organizations have an easy, go lucky pledging process. Think again before you tell me not to generalize.

Hey, there is no need to be so defensive. My OP wasn't even geared towards you, it was towards the many posts from people saying "I've heard they do this, this and this". I'm talking about people who provide no input to the topic other than things like rumors. But to respond to you, yes, I agree that people should have an idea what they're getting into and yes, I know hazing goes on. I'm not blind to this. I never said that all orgs have a good pledging process, but I'm saying mine was. I never said it was easy or "go lucky". I said it was a good experience.

I'm sharing my experience on Asian sororities, which is why I said [and emphasize to readers again] that ALL organizations on EVERY campus are different. It really depends on the dynamic of the girls in the chapter/charter [and having a lot of charters vs chapters doesn't really mean anything, because chapter status is something delegated by the national organization, so they can set the standards, high or low, for what constitutes a chapter themselves], which is why you should check out all of them and see what types of people are in them.

You're sharing your side of the process, I'm sharing mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c a t h e r s

can someone tell me what they have heard about the sorority hazing process? i've only heard of frats...but if i'm going to join a sorority, of course that won't give me an idea of how..."hardcore" they are. yeeah. i'm really curious :)

Guest allatonce

can someone tell me what they have heard about the sorority hazing process? i've only heard of frats...but if i'm going to join a sorority, of course that won't give me an idea of how..."hardcore" they are. yeeah. i'm really curious :)

HAHA.. yeah. I was curious as well. So I picked up a book about sororities and as a matter of fact, I just finished reading it.

The book is called Pledged by Alexandra Robbins.

^Lots of info about sororities but its only focused on the historically white organizations. (panhellenic)

Examples from the book…

-heating those iron things with sorority letters and branding new sisters on the waist

-crushing cereal with your elbows until the bowl is filled with blood and making you eat it.

-forcing pledges to consume human feces

There were more, but those were just the ones that stuck out. 'Cuz I didn't think #2 was possible and people would actually go with #3. lol

I don’t think I should say anyone. I don’t want to be banned from soompi. = (

Andddd of course this doesn’t happen in ALL sororities. = )

Guest child2child

HAHA.. yeah. I was curious as well. So I picked up a book about sororities and as a matter of fact, I just finished reading it.

The book is called Pledged by Alexandra Robbins.

^Lots of info about sororities but its only focused on the historically white organizations. (panhellenic)

Examples from the book…

-heating those iron things with sorority letters and branding new sisters on the waist

-crushing cereal with your elbows until the bowl is filled with blood and making you eat it.

-forcing pledges to consume human feces

There were more, but those were just the ones that stuck out. 'Cuz I didn't think #2 was possible and people would actually go with #3. lol

I don’t think I should say anyone. I don’t want to be banned from soompi. = (

Andddd of course this doesn’t happen in ALL sororities. = )

EW WTF. i don't see the point of people doing that to their pledges. IMO that's just stupid. there's not point to that.

i'm not going to lie, hazing is inevitable. but honestly. from my point of view, it's not about the hazing. it's about what you gain from it. i heard alot of sh!t when i was rushing, but in my opinion it's all for the benefit of the pledges. the purpose of hazing is to BREAK YOU DOWN and BUILD YOU BACK UP as "one".

i don't think you people get the idea of a sorority. Sure there's connections, parties, and what not, but it's more about FAMILY. having people there to back you up and be there for you. especially the people that you pledge with. because you all have gone through the same sh!t and what not, you and your pledge class understand a whole lot more about sisterhood. the purpose of hazing is to make you bond with the people you pledge with.

for those who are thinking about joining a sorority, honestly go rush, see how it is, whether you like the sisters or not, whether you like the purpose of the organization. It really depends on how you feel. do you want connections? do you want leadership? do you want sisterhood?

and if you do end up pledging and you don't like what you see/do you can always drop.

Seriously though guys, no need to be stereotypical and bash greeks. You've never done it so you don't really know what you're talking about. it's much more than what you see on TV and what other people gossip about. Please.

Archived