Asian Sororities.

Guest yunhee

what are they like?
what are asian sororities like?

because, i've never ever thought of joining one - until recently

i have no knowledge of greek life.

yea.. experiences, advice, anything is welcome.

thnx

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest makesnap

i've been approached by some sororities to join too and i am most definitely not going to join. i think it's dumb because in theory, you're basically paying to have friends. i've heard that some frats + sororites even pay $1000+ a year in dues. that's just ridiculous. they're also really time consuming and they have rules and restrictions also. i just wouldn't go for it if i were you.

besides, joining an asian sorority is so exclusive, at least join one that's interracial so you're not just stuck with asians. college is preparation for the real world and in the real world, you have to deal with all kinds of people, not just asians.

Guest SweetKat

I thought the point of sororities and frats was that you lived there instead of the dorms? So doesn't that make sense as to why they pay fees?

Personally I would rather have been in a house than the cramped dorms, with a nice kitchen and stuff... I don't know

At my university, there are no Asian sororities. I thought about it, but, it's still really based on race, so, I didn't want to even bother. :/

I'm busy with my classea anyway, so, no loss! :]

Guest bluberri_oreo

The Asian sorority at my school don't live together in one house, unlike the other ones. They still have to pay dues, but not as much. When they hold parties, it's crazy. You're expected to drink -- basically get wild and drunk! This may not apply to all Asian sororities, but then again ... for most parties, there's going to be plenty of alcohol. However, this shouldn't discourage you. The girls form this tight-knit family and they're friends you can depend on until you finish your college career. Of course, you can make even more friends joining a club (Asian American club). You should attend their rush events and if you connect with the girls, you should join. If you can't see yourself in that crowd or hanging out with them for four years, then don't. One of the most important things is get to know the members at the rush events because if you don't interact with them, they won't invite you to pledge.

Hope that helps!

Guest QUlRKofFATE

it's better to join a club than a sorority, you make the same amount of friends, and have the same amount of fun without paying the dues :D

um excuse you. a sorority is way better than a club. you meet with a club like what? once a week? but who are you gonna stay in touch with after graduation? who's gonna remember you or even care about you? also, with a club you never really have a say in anything until you hold a position on the executive board, and even then you are limited. in a sorority you have the power to plan events and to do what you want to do and people respect you as their sister and don't just regard you as the treasurer or the publicity chair or whatever. when you join a club you don't get to meet people from other schools and across the country whom you have an instant connection with. its definitely NOT the same experience. in a sorority you basically get a mix of all the other clubs you could possibly want to join, like throwing parties (social), cultural events, community service, and performing at schoolwide events. and as for dues, most of the money if not more of it always comes back to you in some form or another (paying for stuff that you do and have fun doing). you can always throw fundraising events so you do not have to pay as much from your own pocket. you do not have to live in the sorority house, and if you just have a suite on campus or an apartment it's not any more than it would be with regular dorming or apt renting.

When they hold parties, it's crazy. You're expected to drink -- basically get wild and drunk! This may not apply to all Asian sororities, but then again ... for most parties, there's going to be plenty of alcohol. However, this shouldn't discourage you.

yes, parties = alcohol, but no one forces you to go to them. you're not any less of a sister because you don't like to drink. it's your choice and no one pressures you to do anything. some of my pledge sisters (people who pledged with me) avoid alcohol like the black plague, but nobody looks down on them or makes fun of them. just know that if you do decide to drink, these girls will be behind you holding back your hair as you're puking into a toilet bowl, on either side of you supporting you when you can't hold yourself up, and zipping up your jacket when it's cold outside but you can't tell the difference

believe me...the people you meet when you join a sorority are friends for life. you will never feel a closer bond to people who are not biologically related to you, and the memories that you make will be ones that stay with you forever.

Guest sushiwhore

my bf's sister was in one but it was closed down due to how some acted... but snce all the girsl there had $$ there was a theif inteh soroity that took all the designer stuff and bah were they mad o_o

so if you're in oen lock all your stuff up you never know whos teh snatcher

You guys don't know what being in a sorority is like until you pledge into being one, so you can't really generalize it like that.

Yes there are drinks, but if you don't want to drink then don't! So easy, they're your sisters, they don't want to inflict harm on you.

Sororities exist to be a huge network tool, during your college years and post-college. They are the ones who will hook you up with jobs and to give you whatever advice you seek. They're not about fun and games only, that's only the little thing. Sororities have serious study/library hours and philanthropy hours they must fulfill. Afterall, you ARE in college for 1 reason. TO STUDY!

Yes, there are dues and crap but it DOES NOT EXCEED 1000 bucks, or at least I hope not because that's freakin ridiculous. I wouldn't even think HUNDREDS. Even if it was expensive, your organization will fundraise to make the dues cheaper and also for donations. AND ORGANIZATIONS DO NOT POCKET YOUR MONEY! It's all for a certain cause; however, I can't really say the same for every organization. Some can be really shady and some aren't.

Just make sure you know who they are inside and out to know whether if that is the right sorority for you. Some are genuinely nice, some are really fake. Be careful and wise, good luck.

Guest XtremeNuisance

Wow... some of ya'll are touchy. Some of us just don't have $80 to rush and $700-1000 to join (that's the way it is at my school anyway.... And I'm not quite sure how it works for race specific sororities.... hmm...). Yunhee, why don't you just like... take the year to figure out what the deal is with the sororities? Because I would say that if you're having doubts about it, you should think about it. Because that would really suck if you paid dues, end up like "wtf did I just sign up for?" and not want to stay. Or whatever.

when you join a club you don't get to meet people from other schools and across the country whom you have an instant connection with. its definitely NOT the same experience. in a sorority you basically get a mix of all the other clubs you could possibly want to join, like throwing parties (social), cultural events, community service, and performing at schoolwide events.

UH.... right. Not to say that you SHOULDN'T join clubs if you join a sorority. Join multiple clubs or join a sorority. I can't say you'll "meet people from other schools and across the country," but you get to do everything else. =/ Ok so... I'm going to stop typing since I sense that my words are getting bitter. Or whatever.

Guest QUlRKofFATE

Wow... some of ya'll are touchy. Some of us just don't have $80 to rush and $700-1000 to join (that's the way it is at my school anyway.... And I'm not quite sure how it works for race specific sororities.... hmm...). Yunhee, why don't you just like... take the year to figure out what the deal is with the sororities? Because I would say that if you're having doubts about it, you should think about it. Because that would really suck if you paid dues, end up like "wtf did I just sign up for?" and not want to stay. Or whatever.

UH.... right. Not to say that you SHOULDN'T join clubs if you join a sorority. Join multiple clubs or join a sorority. I can't say you'll "meet people from other schools and across the country," but you get to do everything else. =/ Ok so... I'm going to stop typing since I sense that my words are getting bitter. Or whatever.

honestly, theres no reason to stress about the money. just do some psych experiments or have some bake sales or carwashes and you're all set. not having money shouldnt be the reason that you don't join or the reason that you don't think it's worth it. and it is nowhere near $700-$1000. also, i have never known any greek organization that makes their rushees pay for anything during rush. we actually stress that all of our events are free to encourage girls to come out and meet us.

i did not mean that you should not join other clubs. most of my sisters (including me) are members of other clubs on campus and we also hold leadership positions. however, we all agree that it is not the same relationship...being with people in a club is like being with acquaintances and friends, being with the sorority is like being with family.

before i got to college i vowed to never join a sorority lol so it's ok to have doubts. i think you should go to the rush events and see if you like the girls. then you can take it from there

Guest XtremeNuisance

honestly, theres no reason to stress about the money. just do some psych experiments or have some bake sales or carwashes and you're all set. not having money shouldnt be the reason that you don't join or the reason that you don't think it's worth it. and it is nowhere near $700-$1000. also, i have never known any greek organization that makes their rushees pay for anything during rush. we actually stress that all of our events are free to encourage girls to come out and meet us.

i did not mean that you should not join other clubs. most of my sisters (including me) are members of other clubs on campus and we also hold leadership positions. however, we all agree that it is not the same relationship...being with people in a club is like being with acquaintances and friends, being with the sorority is like being with family.

before i got to college i vowed to never join a sorority lol so it's ok to have doubts. i think you should go to the rush events and see if you like the girls. then you can take it from there

Man, I KNEW those soroities/fraternities were doing something wrong. It was $80 to rush! EIGHTY DOLLARS. Call me cheap, but I don't want to pay eighty dollars for something I don't know much about. =X

woah you have to pay to rush??? yeh, that's definitely bad LOL

everything is supposed to be free for those who rush, free rides, free food, free fun, and free of obligation to join.

Basically, you just come out to have fun and meet new people, and if you feel like that's your type of sisterhood/brotherhood you go for it.

well, i plan to rush this fall at my school. yeah, im pretty excited too! haha i cant wait to meet new people! :D

the club i plan on rushing doesnt charge for rushes and they can give rides too.

Guest chiniria

This thread has gotten me interested. I might go to the rush for our Asian Sorority... except it seems they have an emphasis on pink... especially for the last rush event.. pink *shivers*

Hey girl, my name's Millin & i know what you're thinking as of now...who's this girl & what does she want right? haha ^^ well i hope you can hear me out on what im about to invite you to =]

I'm part of an Asian Interest sorority called Pi Theta Kappa based at Cal State Northridge est.1988. We're currently recruiting new members for our sorority and I'd like to extend my welcome to you. Our sorority is OPEN & that means we have girls from all over So-Cal including USC, UCLA, CSULB, PCC, etc. We have RUSH events coming up & i hope you can come by and meet the sisters of Pi Theta Kappa =] There is no OBLIGATION whatsoever to join and everything including rides, food, etc is FREE ^^ so what have you got to lose right? Being part of this sorority is NOT expensive at ALL because we don't maintain a house like many of the white sororities do. For more information, FEEL FREE to PM me back cuhs i still want to get to know you and stuff ^^;

visit our website at WWW.PITHETAKAPPA.ORG

Guest xxingy_XP

:/ rush at my school is in the spring for some reason so i can't join until spring, if i end up wanting to.

but the sorority sigma psi zeta at my school sounds pretty interesting. they do lots of other activities and events and do fundraisers and etc. they're pretty involved in the community.

they don't solely drink/party like the stereotype goes.

Guest Aerolite

Well I'm kind of disappointed of some of the generalizations people are making. Expect a long post.

First of all, I once pledged an asian-interest sorority (almost to the point of initiation), and now I am part of of a Panhellenic sorority--one of the 'white' ones but we're actually extremely diverse in every sense of the word.

The reason I went greek in the first place was because I grew up with the influence. My dad was in a fraternity back in his country, and nearly all of my godfathers are his fraternity brothers. My family has been through many hardships and to be honest these problems could have been a lot worse for me if it were not for the support of his brothers. It was because of them I was safe from realizing what harm my family was REALLY going through and I had not one clue that there was even anything going on. They helped my father when the corporation he worked for became bankrupt and gave him the support he needed, in addition to securing him a new job.

I joined primarily for this networking. You gain important social skills, and can gain tons of leadership abilities. You have girls who will be by your side FOR LIFE. A lot of people wonder how this can be, especially if you have close friends from back home. Let me put it this way...The moment you're affiliated, you're family. There is no awkward acquaintance stage to endure just to become friends with your sisters.

Many sororities are well rounded in what they do. For example mine (and many other Panhellenic) has a variety of activities that we solely participate and compete in such as: sports, academic scholarships/honor societies, local/national philanthropies (we participate in each others), social events such as formals and exchanges, sisterhoods, conventions with chapters from other schools, and alumni programs. Panhellenic does not haze (our charter gets pulled if we do) and my sorority has certain rules about alcohol. We can drink during after greek afterparties, but we cannot drink in our house, and we cannot preparty. The dues I pay are all inclusive, meaning many of the shirts, memorabilia, and events are all paid for. For example this includes our formals, dinners, club parties, retreats, house and national dues. I also can't exactly expect to pay a lump sum of my Panhellenic dues, so my chapter works with me so I can pay in installments. Very rarely have I paid anything extra, and that was just for a jersey and a totebag that was an optional purchase. We even pay to have charter buses take the entire chapter to our formals/parties so that everyone can have fun and not worry about having to drive home tired or drunk haha. But it is a well rounded experience and the MOST IMPORTANT thing I have learned from my sorority is time management. I have gotten better grades in school after joining my sorority and I feel much more productive and appreciative of how I spend my time.

As for asian sororities, they are much different. I can see how it may be for some people, and it was for me for a while...But I personally decided it wasn't what I wanted. Sorry if I'm biased because of this, but I am still very good friends with many of the girls in the sorority and have even designed their website/shirts/rush flyers. They have even offered to let me live in their house. Anyway it's good if you want a smaller, closer family, but it takes plenty of time and work to pledge and be a part of the sisterhood. Asian sororities have smaller dues per term, but they do not factor in all the expenses you have to pay for during pledging. There are also informals/presents, formals, and frat installs to attend to that become costly as well. The fees are probably not as upfront as Panhellenic, but most orgs in general will help you find a way to pay. When you rush, they'll tell you they don't haze--if you ask about it. I can't imagine any asian greek org that doesn't haze, but I can tell you the good things about it (yes, there are benefits). When I pledged an asian sorority, I watched out for my pledgesisters and they watched out for me. We struggled together and had many sleepless nights and were literally put through so much stress. Why would anyone put themselves through this? I never knew why at first, but since my dad was put through it, he told me it is to unify your entire pledge class because you are all challenged to do the same thing. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, but you'll be put through the same challenges together and it's up to you help your pledge class get through them. A common saying I've heard through my pledgeship is "you are as strong as your weakest link." And it's true because you are not going to get away by just looking after yourself. This was one of the best experiences in my life, where I grew and learned more about myself than I could have imagined possible. You really learn your limits and because of it I am a harder working person.

The bonds you make in a Panhellenic or Asian sorority are very different from one another. If I could have it my way, I honestly would have liked to be in an org with challenges of an asian sorority, but the benefits/opportunities/investment of Panhellenic. I am very happy with my experiences in both and would not trade it for anything.

So I hope you think twice before saying it's about buying friends. At the very least prove yourself something by being open minded and rush to see if it's right for you.

Archived