Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

^Cloud Atlas release date has been moved up to Oct 26. ;)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warners-cloud-atlas-release-tom-hanks-halle-berry-339351
http://filmonic.com/cloud-atlas-gets-october-us-release-date/
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Wachowskis-Cloud-Atlas-Gets-Official-Fall-Release-Date-31490.html

^thanks endeavor. :) Love the pics, so bright and colorful and Doona's so cute.

Behind the scenes video: http://www.highcut.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=behind_cut&wr_id=2228

1f60e94a83fb89aa0c003772c0ea8981_YpHPe3E
http://www.highcut.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=fashion_cut&wr_id=43959

1f60e94a83fb89aa0c003772c0ea8981_E2Pdpbz
http://www.highcut.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=enter_cut&wr_id=15454

1f60e94a83fb89aa0c003772c0ea8981_W3uESRk
http://www.highcut.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=event&wr_id=84146

Movieweek's 50 Most Beautiful Stars

Actresses
1. Suzy
2. Yoon Yeo-jung
3. Im Soo-jung
4. Bae Doona
htm_20120702143609020000020301-003.jpg
5. Kim Go-eun
6. Kim Min-hee
7. Gong Hyo-jin
8. Ha Ji-won
9. Uhm Jung-hwa
10. Kim Ha-neul
11. Son Ye-jin
12. Kim Nam-joo
13. Moon Chae-won
14. Han Ga-in
15. Soo Ae
16. Jo Yeo-jung
17. Park Ha-sun
18. Han Ye-ri
19. Kim Hee-ae
20. Lee Min-jung
21. Go Ara
22. Lee Na-young
23. Shin Se-kyung
24. Park Shi-yeon
25. Lee Shi-young

Actors
1. Ha Jung-woo
2. Ryu Seung-ryong
3. Lee Je-hoon
4. Kim Soo-hyun
5. Han Suk-gyu
6. Jo Jung-suk
7. Park Hae-il
8. Gong Yoo
9. Yoo Ah-in
10. Yoo Jun-sang
11. Choi Min-shik
12. Ahn Sung-ki
13. Kim Yoon-seok
14. Kwak Do-won
15. Son Hyun-joo
16. Shin Ha-kyun
17. Uhm Tae-woong
18. Park Yoo-chun
19. Lee Hee-jun
20. Lee Seon-gyun
21. Song Joong-ki
22. Kim Mu-yeol
23. Jo Jin-woong
24. Kim In-kwon
25. Jo Seung-woo

In a poll run by Movieweek magazine, 72 reporters and columnists were asked who they felt were the most beautiful actors and actresses with a natural talent for acting from the past year (6/1/2011 – 5/31/2012) of movies and dramas. Movieweek’s editor Park Hye Eun revealed that though polls from previous years focused more on appearance, this year’s journalist survey was geared more towards an actor’s “presence”. Ha Jung Woo and Suzy topped the list of 50 actors and actresses after the results were revealed. [via Allkpop, Korea Portal, Korea Portal]

• 2 weeks later...

Park Ji-sung, Bae Doo-na not dating

By Moon Gwang-lip, Korea JoongAng Daily
July 16, 2012

201207161015333210_1.jpg

Bae Doo-na did meet Park Ji-sung in London recently, but just as an old friend, not a lover, Bae’s agents said yesterday.

The statement was in response to rumors that the 32-year-old actress and 31-year-old English Premier Leaguer are in a romantic relationship.

“It is true that Bae Doo-na met Park Ji-sung, but they are just old friends,” an agent for Bae told local media outlets. “The meeting in London was so casual as friends as to leave no room for misunderstanding. We do not feel the necessity to explain.”

One netizen posted on the Internet on Friday that Bae and Park were seen on a date in London's Piccadilly Circus on a rainy day, sharing an umbrella as they walked down the street.

The news spread like wildfire through social networking services. Initially, Bae’s agency had denied the meeting between the two, saying Bae does not know Park personally.

“They must have mistaken another person for her,” the agency initially said.

47785407.2.jpg
Bae Doo-na uploaded this photo on her Cyworld homepage, showing news of Park Ji-sung’s move to Queens Park Rangers

Park asks media not to report on his dating

By Chun Sung-woo (swchun@heraldm.com)
2012-07-22 20:06 Korea Herald

Korean soccer star Park Ji-sung has asked news media to refrain from reporting on his love life.

Local news outlets speculated that the 31-year-old might be dating actress Bae Doo-na, 33, while reporting that he was spotted meeting Bae in London.

“It is true that I met Bae, but we get along like a sister and brother. I phoned her after the reports came out that we had dated. I felt so sorry for her over fans’ disturbing comments on the reports,” the footballer told Korean reporters in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Sunday.

“Please do not report my dating life, so that I can find someone. (With reporting like this) even if I had a girlfriend, she would run away,” he said.

Park moved to Queens Park Rangers, an English Premier League club, from Manchester United, on July 9. He is in the Malaysian capital on QPR’s Asia tour.

“(If people report) in this way, I could be romantically linked with all female celebrities I know, and I would be left with no option but to remain single,” he said.

Turning to his move to QPR, he said that it takes ceaseless efforts to start as a key player, even though QPR is a smaller team than United.

“Though I came from Manchester United, I am now one of the QPR squad. To start in a match, I have to show strong ability,” he said.

“I have never thought that the captaincy of QPR has to go to me. If I am given the captaincy, I will be happy to accept it, and will try to do better, but I won’t regret it if I am not.”

Park Ji-sung Begs Media to Stop Scaring Away Potential Love Interests

Chosun Ilbo / Jul. 23, 2012 09:04 KST

Park Ji-sung of Queens Park Rangers has asked the media to refrain from stirring up groundless rumors about his love life out of respect for him and those with whom he is being romantically linked.

Park, who is currently on an Asian Tour with the English Premier League club, met with Korean reporters on Saturday at a hotel in Subang Jaya, Malaysia, and brought up the issue of his reported fling with actress Bae Doo-na.

"We're just friends, but I feel sorry for her because it seems that she has got hurt by all these comments," he said. "I think even if I did have a girlfriend, she would soon run away [because of all the hounding by the media] and I'll find it very difficult to get married. I hope the media can cooperate with me on this."

Park made his official debut as a Super Hoop, or QPR player, on July 17 against a Malaysian club, a game during which he captained the team. However, he did not play on Friday after sustaining a minor injury to his ankle.

"Even if I was previously at a big club like Manchester United, I still need to compete constantly in order to win a spot in QPR's starting roster. I always want to do best, and get the opportunity to play in as many games as possible, in any position," he said.

"I alone may not make a big difference to the team, but I hope QPR can do better than last season, when they finished 17th in the league," he said. "Whatever the result is, I won't regret my choice of moving to the club."

QPR plays the third match of its Asian Tour in Surabaya, Indonesia, on Monday.

20120722000097_0.jpg
Park Ji-sung of QPR, an English Premier League club, speaks to reporters in a hotel near Shah Alam Stadium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Sunday. (Yonhap News)

Bae Doona has been officially invited by Santa Maria Novella to be its muse, and to commemorate the bath and body brand’s 400th anniversary, the actress flew to Florence, Italy for an Allure photo shoot. The pictorial took place at the Four Seasons Hotel Firenze and Villa San Michele, among others. Her quirky beauty will be seen in the pages of the August 2012 issue. [via Couch Kimchi, KoreanVibe]

Allure, August 2012 [also via Style.com]

01020112000007201_1.jpg
01020112000007202_1.jpg
01020112000007203_1.jpg
01020112000007204_1.jpg
01020112000007205_1.jpg
201207180931071210_1.jpg
201207180932351210_1.jpg

Guest kaicito

She's super gorgeous, and seems extremely talented and nice. Thanks guys for posting all these awesome pics and the tons and tons of info on her! I live in Germany and only recently discovered her...(thru "Barking Dogs Never Bite"). Currently waiting for my copy of "Air Doll". Count me in as a fan!

• 2 weeks later...

^thanks rubie! :) Man, I wish someone would sub the entire NatGeo feature and upload it on YouTube.

Bae Doona watches soccer game at an English pub

20120806152912_501f64387f7fc_1.jpg

/Reporting by Son Jin-Ah en@starnnews.com
2012-08-07 10:40

Bae Doona cheered for Korean soccer team at a pub in London.

On 5th, Bae Doona uploaded a photo on her website, and wrote, "Cheering for Korea in an English pub."

The photo shows Bae Doona at a pub in London, and the Olympic soccer match of Korea and England is being streamed live on the TV.

English soccer fans' enthusiastic cheers are world famous, and violences occur quiet often. However, Bae Doona decided to watch the match at a pub all by herself, and the fans were extremely surprised by her audacity.

Bae Doona added, "Most of people were only interested in 'Euro 2012', so I could enjoy it without getting into any trouble."

On the other hand, Bae Doona recently met with Park Ji Sung in England.

Thumb's up to Bae DooNa! rbhcool.gif
August 9, 2012

Bae Doo-na invited to Toronto International Film Festival
By Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily

09181246.jpg

Korean actress Bae Doo-na has been invited to the upcoming Toronto International Film Festival, to be held from Sept. 6 to 16. 

The 32-year-old actress will attend the opening ceremony to promote the world premiere of her first Hollywood movie, “Cloud Atlas,” and walk the red carpet with co-stars Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant and Halle Berry.

An adaptation of David Mitchell’s 2004 novel of the same title, the fantasy film consists of six nested stories that will take the viewers from the South Pacific in the 19th century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future.

Bae has been cast as a futuristic, genetically engineered clone. The star-studded movie wrapped up filming at the end of last year and will make its U.S premiere on Oct. 26.

Bae Doona to walk red carpet at Toronto Int'l Film Festival

10Asia Reporter : Lucia Hong. Editor : Monica Suk.

Doona-Bae-in-Cloud-Atlas-Nea-So-Copros-F
credit: FilmoFilia

Korean actress Bae Donna has been invited to the forthcoming Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), according to local film distribution company NEW. 0

NEW announced in a press release Friday that Bae will attend the opening ceremony and strut the red carpet at the 37th TIFF, which will be held from September 6 to 16.

The actress will take part in the opening day festivities to promote the world premiere of her first Hollywood movie "Cloud Atlas" along with her co-stars Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant and actress Halle Berry.

"Cloud Atlas," which is set to make its U.S premiere on October 26, is Andy and Lana Wachowski and Tom Tykwer's film adaptation of David Mitchell's 2004 novel of the same name.

The film focuses on how actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future. It also stars Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Ben Whishaw and James Darcy.

Meanwhile, NEW also noted that actor Jang Dong-gun is currently mulling over the organizers' invitation to the fest with his film "Dangerous Liaisons." With director Hur Jin-ho behind the screen, the pic co-stars Chinese actresses Zhang Ziyi and Cecilia Cheung.

Founded in 1976, the 2012 TIFF will open with Rian Johnson’s futuristic thriller "Looper."

Guest kaiverbarg

Hi! As I'm not from Korea, nor do I understand Korean, I hope someone on here will excuse my ignorant question and help me out - how is Bae Doo Na pronounced correctly? Is "Bae" pronounced like the English "bay", or differently? And is "Doo Na" pronounced to rhyme with "Altoona" ? Thanks!
BTW I have now seen both "Take care of my cat" and "Spring Bears Love" - customs here is holding up my copy of "Air Doll". I wish I had become a fan of hers earlier, then I might have had a chance to see her here in Berlin, filming "Cloud Atlas" :-))

• 4 weeks later...

Hi kaicito and kaiverbarg, welcome to Soompi! :)

You're correct, her last name rhymes with "bay." As for her first name, though the first syllable "Doo" has a long /oo/ sound, the accent is on the second syllable "na." You can hear her introduce herself at the beginning of this clip (0:09):

Aw, too bad. From the loads of photos she posted on her blog while filming Cloud Atlas, it looked like she was walking and wandering around Berlin a lot. Maybe she'll go back for the Berlin premiere and you'll get to see her then. ;)

I'm looking forward to Cloud Atlas, it looks epic visually and narratively. And if it doesn't pull off all the intersecting characters and timelines, at least it'll be an ambitious failure.

movie tie-in cover
causbookcover621x960.jpg
http://www.randomhouse.com/acmart/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780812984415

Enjoy Air Doll -- she's quite good in it. I'd also suggest Linda Linda Linda, Barking Dogs Never Bite, The Host, and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. (Just typing that sentence above made me realize again that Doona really does have a pretty good filmography for a young actress.) Saving My Hubby isn't mentioned as much as her more auteurist films, but imo it's a very underrated comedy.

Guest kaicito

Melusine, thank you for the Korean lesson and the link! kaicito and kaiverbarg are actually one and the same person, and I'll try to stick to one persona.

I've binged on Doona films, with my video library now containing Air Doll, Take Care of My Cat, Spring Bears Love, Linda Linda Linda, and Barking Dogs Never Bite. Plus, I bought her Tokyo photo book via Hanbook. Now I really need to get started learning Korean! And I'll try to grab ahold of her other films you mentioned, especially Saving My Hubby if I can find a copy.

The current issue of The New Yorker magazine has a background story on Cloud Atlas with a few mentions of Doona; the author mentions an industry screening of the rough cut he attended and he says she's "a revelation". Not sure about the uploading mechanisms on here, but I could send you a PDF if you're interested.

Here's hoping Cloud Atlas will be a breakthrough - I can clearly see her as a world star! And I do hope she'll be back in Berlin for the premiere...

kaicito, I should've known. What were the odds of two Doona fans from Berlin popping by Soompi in the span of a month? :))

Personally my favorite Doona flicks are Linda Linda Linda, Take Care of My Cat and Barking Dogs Never Bite. But she's also wonderful in the more-famous Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and The Host, so hopefully you'll get to check them out too. Besides her acting chops, she just has this delightful oddness about her that's very unique.

Thanks so much for the heads-up about the New Yorker article! It was a fascinating read.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/09/10/120910fa_fact_hemon?currentPage=all

As for Doona going international, hmm why not? Stranger things have happened. As long as she gets to work with good directors on interesting films and not be the token Asian girl, I'm all for it. Maybe that's her goal too, since she's been brushing up on her English the past couple of years.

If there was ever a Korean actress with crossover potential, it's her. Though she's never been super popular in Korea (more of a cult following), Western and pan-Asian cinephiles know her name.

We'll see. I guess it will all depend on how Cloud Atlas is received, and if the reviews single her out.

Guest kaicito

melusine, thanks so much for providing the New Yorker link, and I'm glad you found that interesting. Not having read the book (I'm tempted to read it now), I hadn't been aware of how difficult its transition to film was and I'm glad the author was on board.

I suppose there are precious few Asian actors/actresses who have really made it in the international movie market, outside of character actors (the token Asian, as you put it). The only other Korean actress I'm even aware of (and like) is Im Soo Jung of I'm a Cyborg but that's OK and A Tale of Two Sisters (and these forums here have been a revelation as to the number and variety of Korean actors and actresses).

I feel a little embarrassed even asking this, but I expect you would know - other than waiting and hoping for Doona to attend a premiere in Berlin (and camping out overnight on the red carpet), is there any way of writing her for an autograph? Would I address this to Barunson? Or maybe the answer is already here and I just need to scroll through this forum which I should be doing anyway to check out all the beautiful pics :-)

Love, love, love the new marie claire set! All great styles for her, and I love the expressiveness of her pretty face. Made my day!

I'll keep an eye out on Doona stuff that may surface here in Germany.