Cha Seung-Won 차승원 [Upcoming Movies: “Believer 2”, “Tyrant”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

Guest kdramafanusa

Thanks to a friend who sent me this. :)

The 1st 2 pictures were taken at the end of 2008 (at Kwon Sang-Woo's wedding).

200904171503083981.jpg

As labeled + Cyworld

:wub::wub::wub:

Guest Morty

Hell yeah. Cha Seung-won is one of my favorite actors - he can just play everything. He looks freaking good as one can see in the two pictures above and his acting talent is awesome. I watched Spark the Lighter last night and it was hilarious.

My most favorite film with him is My Teacher Mr. Kim and he was very charismatic in Eye for an Eye. It's very impressive watching him and Han Suk-kyu in front of the camera. The two really saved the film.

I'm also looking forward to his next film with Song Yoon-ah. It will be cool, I know it. ;)

Guest kdramafanusa

More news articles on him today, will provide summaries later.

indexlinkimagephpno2009.jpg

http://star.moneytoday.co.kr/view/stview.p...042209222006513

~~~

Actress Song Yoon-Ah paid a surprise visit to the set of SBS drama 'City Hall' on the 15th. She worked with writer Kim Eun-Sook and PD Shin Woo-Chul on drama "On Air". She's also a friend of lead actor Cha Seung-Won whom she co-starred with in films "Jail Breakers" and "Saving My Wife".

69870599292424.jpg

http://www.todaykorea.co.kr/news/articleVi...tml?idxno=69870

~~~~~

Forgot to post this a while ago...

At the press conference of SBS drama 'The City Hall' on April 16th, actor Cha Seung-Won revealed that writer Kim Eun-Sook and PD Shin Woo-Chul visited the set of his movie "Saving My Wife" (which began shooting at the end of last year). His co-star Song Yoon-Ah worked with writer Kim & PD Shin in SBS drama 'On Air'. Writer Kim & PD Shin invited him to work with them in a joking way; (at that time) he didn't think it would eventually lead to him starring in the drama now. :)

~~~~~

Mr. Cha Seung-Won, a big welcome back to the small screen. :wub: All the best. :)

Guest kdramafanusa

*** Sportsworldi.com 2008.07.04 21:17 ***

20080704000559_0.jpg

Actor Cha Seungwon declared that he will no longer appear in comedies.

Cha Seungwon, wearing a reggae hair style, said at the ’Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth’ movie production press conference held at the Lotte Hotel in Sogongdong, "I don’t want to appear in comedies anymore."

Cha Seungwon, who has gained great popularity through movies such as ’Kick the Moon’ and ’815 Day,’ said "I appeared in comedies just because I wanted to try them. I will appear in comedies again when I want to, but for now, I don’t want to anymore. From now on, even if it means that I have to lessen the number of movies I appear in, I will only take the role of characters that I want to try. I hope that the next character I take is not a set character and a visually fancy one." Cha Seungwon will take the roll of Ahn Hyunmin who fights against adept detective Baek Sungchan’s, who will be played by Han Sukgyu, in the movie ’Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth,’ which will be released on the 31st.

The writer of SBS drama 'The City Hall' said that it is a romantic comedy. I hope that the script is good enough for Cha Seung-Won to consider doing comedy again.

Guest kdramafanusa

My Teacher, Mr. Kim Movie Review

http://www.mediacircus.net/mtmk.html

Movie Review by Anthony Leong © Copyright 2003

The public education system in South Korea could be considered a microcosm of the overall country, as many of the issues and challenges facing students reflect what is going on in the rest of society. Similar to Japan, competition is fierce to get into the few universities of high standing (a situation referenced in "Marrying the Mafia"), resulting in what has been dubbed 'blood splashing', a winner-take all 'Battle Royale' in which students will sacrifice their free time, friendships, and even their health to secure a spot in a prestigious school. This is not unlike the situation faced by students once they get into the working world, where competition is fierce for jobs in an economy where youth unemployment is second highest among OECD countries. Corporal punishment and other forms of physical abuse on students are still prevalent in schools, mirroring the situation in some workplaces, where beatings are doled out by bosses and managers, such as in well-publicized abuses in the country's migrant-worker poulation. And similar to how corruption has stained the conduct of both politics and business in South Korea (in fact, the country consistently ranks in the middle-tier of Transparency International's annual survey of global corruption), bribing of teachers by parents to improve the grades and/or treatment of their sons and daughters is a common practice. In fact, the culture of grift is so ingrained that a recent survey of middle- and high-school students found that almost two-thirds of respondents would likely engage in such activity if they had the chance, particularly if it would advance their future careers.

Not surprisingly, the problems in South Korean schools have been reflected on the country's movie screens, both as an acknowledgement of their existence, and as a means to allegorize broader issues that face Korean society as a whole. Park Ki-hyung's horror hit "Whispering Corridors (Yeogo goedam)" was a thinly veiled attack on the Korean high school system that resulted in protests by conservative education groups. Its unrelated sequel "Memento Mori (Yeogo goedam II)" placed more emphasis on visceral chills, though it still laid bare some of the more unsavory aspects of high school life. Then there was Yun Je-gyun's "My Boss, My Hero (Doosaboo ilchae)", which fashioned a gangster comedy from an actual occurrence of corruption and scandal at a Seoul high school. Now joining the fray is "My Teacher, Mr. Kim (Seonsaeng Kim Bong-du)", a comedy that racked up some impressive admissions in the spring of 2003.

Cha Seung-won plays the titular character, Kim Bong-du, a rotten-apple teacher in Seoul. In addition to being constantly late for work and having little regard for his slovenly appearance, Bong-du is lining his pockets with bribe envelopes from parents, with the students paying the consequences in extra chores and harsher treatment if their parents refuse to pay up. Unfortunately, Bong-du's freewheeling ways are brought to an abrupt end after one of the parents complains, and he is put out to pasture at a small school in a farming community somewhere in Kangweon province.

Instead of teaching the children of well-heeled middle-class wage earners, Bong-du's new class is comprised of two boys and three girls, the only children in the entire village. And though Bong-du tries to start up his envelope scheme, he is disheartened to receive only kind letters and vegetables for his trouble. With no extra income, no entertainment, and no good shopping in his new surroundings, Bong-du quickly becomes bored out of his gourd.

However, he finds a sliver of hope when he hears that the school is scheduled to close down once all the students have transferred elsewhere. Seeing this development as his ticket out of this backwater hell, Bong-du begins brainwashing his students about the bright lights of Seoul and how they can pursue their dreams in acting, painting, or baseball there. But when it comes time to finally getting rid of the kids, Bong-du is dismayed to learn that he has managed to grow a conscience.

"My Teacher, Mr. Kim" is a step in the right direction for director Jang Gyu-seong, who had previously helmed the misleadingly titled parody film "Funny Movie (Jaemitneun yeonghwa)". In fact, the film is actually based on his own experiences growing up in the countryside, and it is evident that some of his heart and soul went into it. Jang displays some increased comic sophistication as he effectively mines the comic potential of a city slicker banished to "Harmonium in My Memory (Nae Maeumeui punggeum)" country, with a number of amusing 'fish out of water' comic set pieces dominating the film's first half, such as the difficulties Bong-du experiences while trying to buy cigarettes, or his drunken behavior during a welcoming party hosted by the villagers. However, as Bong-du sees the consequences of his egocentric actions and becomes increasingly conflicted about trying to return to Seoul early, Jang tries a little too hard in driving the point home with drawn out scenes and over-the-top dramatics, such as the film's emotionally manipulative climax where Bong-du's students weep for what seems to be an eternity.

The film is also a step forward for Cha, who moves into more dramatic territory following his appearances in a string of comedies, such as "Kick the Moon (Shinlaui dalbam)" and "Jail Breakers (Gwangbokjeol teuksa)". Complimenting Cha's good looks and deep baritone voice is a versatile performance that reveals the two sides of Bong-du's personality, the self-absorbed schemer and the caring educator, both of which come into increasing conflict as the film progresses. Cha is also ably supported by a talented cast that includes Byun Heui-bong ("Volcano High") as a seemingly standoffish mountain hermit whom Bong-du teaches how to read, Choi Min-ju as a class monitor who mediates between the students and their erratic teacher, and Sung Ji-ru as the school's abrasive janitor.

The remake and North American distribution rights for "My Teacher, Mr. Kim" were picked up by Miramax well before the film even bowed into domestic theaters, which is interesting, as it is difficult to imagine how well the corruption theme will translate for Hollywood audiences, with student-on-student violence, and not bribery, probably being the biggest issue facing North American schools. Nevertheless, in its home country, where such problems in the nation's schools are widely recognized, "My Teacher, Mr. Kim" struck a chord with audiences and earned itself a third-place ranking among the year's top-grossing homegrown productions, just behind "Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok)" and "My Tutor Friend (Donggabnaegi gwawoehagi)". And while the film could have easily have been tightened up towards the end, "My Teacher, Mr. Kim" still manages to be a charismatic and inspiring tale where a man's self-interest is transformed into a selfless devotion to his students. Director Jang is well on his way to graduatingwith honors.

Guest kdramafanusa

My Son

m0010002posterah585.jpgm0010003posterbh585.jpg

Presented by Cinema Service Co., Ltd / CJ Entertainment Inc.

Produced by KnJ Entertainment

May 1, 2007

Drama, 109min, 1.85:1, Dolby Digital SRD, Color

SYNOPSIS

I am a man sentenced to life for committing murder. But miraculously, I have managed to receive one special gift. Like a gift from God, the government has granted me leave for one day. One day for a man sentenced to a life behind bars. One day to see my son for the first time in 15 years. The son I love more than anything in the world. All day I think only of things to say to my little boy. What can I do with my son in a single day? I've missed him for so long, but no matter how hard I try, I can't remember his face. Every minute seems like eternity until the day I see my son.

PRODUCTION NOTE

Real-life paternal love stronger than any movie

From Guns and Talks to Righteous Ties, director Jang Jin has either appeared in, or lent his voice, to all of his movies. However in My Son, instead of Jang himself, it is his father that makes a cameo appearance as a convict unable to communicate as the result of a stroke. His father is seen at the beginning of the movie when the prisoners are interviewed in their bids for leave. Jang's father is afflicted with paralysis in real life. However, under Jang's scrupulous direction, he put such amazing effort into the role that the entire staff was reportedly incredibly moved by his work. Before filming the scene, Jang held his father's hand and asked each one of his staff to ensure "my dad will look good" in the movie. Filming that day was unforgettable for all involved.

Two heartthrobs of the Korean cinema: Cha Seung-won and Ryu Duk-hwan

Remarkable about My Son is the wonderful chemistry between Cha Seung-won and Ryu Duk-hwan. In order to portray a father and his son, the dynamic between the two actors was crucial from the beginning. Fortunately, they proved themselves to be a "match made in heaven." In fact, their onscreen chemistry turned out to be so striking that it would be hard for some to believe that My Son was their first movie together: They got along marvelously well during the entire course of filming. Before filming a scene, they were often seen hanging out together or practicing their lines. While portraying two characters that learn to express affection for each other despite some awkwardness, the actors elevated their friendship to a new level, by becoming "father" and "son" to each other.

Ryu praised and thanked Cha, saying, "Thanks to Seung-won's heartfelt portrayal of the father, I was able to act more naturally." According to Ryu, of all the actors and actresses he's ever worked with, it was Cha with whom he had the most telephone conversations. In return, Cha acknowledges that his friendship with Ryu contributed to his successful undertaking of the role, saying, "Despite the [17-year] age difference, I bonded with Duk-hwan so well that even when I was physically drained, I felt at ease [acting with him]."

In the movie, the father and the son have some uncomfortable and awkward moments. Nonetheless, the portrayal of these characters is imbued with the warmth generated by the real-life friendship between the two actors. The audience will be delighted by the exceptional onscreen chemistry between them.

The dreamlike meeting between the father and the son illustrated by JANG Jin-style fantasy

In My Son, while the father and the son develop their relationship over the course of one day, they are assisted by some "special friends" that bring them closer and closer.

In the middle of the night, pouring rain forces them inside a public telephone booth where they stand close to each other for the first time in 15 years. At that time, "the biggest dayfly in the world" appears to illuminate the space and bridge the gap between the two. The dayfly serves as a metaphor that reminds the audience of the fact that the father and the son have only one day. It is a moment that tugs at the audience’s heartstrings.

In the sauna scene where they face each other with smiles on their faces, fish of various colors adorn the screen. The fish are "greeting" them, as if they were congratulating the father and son for opening their hearts to each otherin their first ever trip to the sauna as family.

There are also special family friends that will greatly enhance the unique visual appeal of the film: A family of migratory birds is presented in 3D animation. While the story of Kang-sik and Joon-suk is unfolding on the ground, another story, which is as special as theirs, is unfurling in the sky. This bird sequence is where Jang's sense of humor fully comes alive. It is also a scene that helps implicitly set the emotional backdrop of this film. The fantasy sequence is the result of meticulously crafted CG visual effects. It is designed to lighten the atmosphere of the film and to help unfold the story in a more lyrical fashion. It will make the dreamlike meeting between the father and son even more unforgettable.

CAST & CHARACTERS

CHA Seung-won as Lee Kang-sik

Lee Kang-sik: The lifer who gets out on a one-day pass to see the son he’s been yearning to see for 15 years

Cha Seung-won is Korea’s leading box office star. Cha's acting prowess has been utilized in a host of different genres including comedy, drama

and thriller. Cha, who broadened his acting horizons with each successive appearance, is set to scale another professional plateau with his portrayal of a father for the first time in his career. In My Son, a deep contemplative gaze and a tender smile accompany his trademark affable, charming demeanor. There's no doubt that his genuine performance will capture and melt the hearts of the audience yet again.

Selected Filmography

2007 Small Town Rivals

2006 Over the Border

2005 Blood Rain / Murder, Take One

2004 Ghost House

2003 My Teacher, Mr. Kim

2002 Break Out / Jail Breakers

2001 Kick the Moon

RYU Duk-hwan as Lee Joon-suk

Lee Joon-suk, the teenage son who meets his father for the first time

in 15 years

In 2006, Ryu Duk-hwan was catapulted to stardom with his performance in Like A Virgin, sweeping awards for the best new actor and capturing the attention of Chungmuro. After earning critical acclaim at various Korean and international film festivals, he's now widely recognized as one of the industry’s most promising young actors. Ryu has previously worked with director Jang in such films as No Comment Family and Welcome to Dongmakgol. For Ryu, this film holds a special place in his heart, as he describes the film as something that he would like to "dedicate to my father who passed away." Ryu, who still sports a lovely boyish charm, turns in a mature, soulful performance in his portrayal of the son who meets his "life-prisoner" father for the first time in 15 years.

Selected Filmography

2007 Yobi, the five-tailed Fox (voice)

2006 Like a Virgin

2005 Welcome to Dongmakgol

2002 My Beautiful Girl Mari (voice)

DIRECTOR

Director JANG Jin unravels the story of My Son in a beautifully lyrical way

Since JANG Jin made his directorial debut with The Happenings in 1998, he has demonstrated a delightful sense of humor and a boundless and vivid imagination through such creative and dramatic films as Guns and Talks, Someone Special, Murder Take One and Righteous Ties. Jang has not only garnered critical acclaim but also established himself as a bona-fide hit-maker by concocting smash hits like Murder, Take One and Welcome to Dongmakgol, in the process becoming one of Korea’s premier directors and producers. In My Son, the existing "JANG Jin Style" gets charged with more universal emotions and deeper sensitivity. With this movie, JANG is expected to make more history in Korean cinema.

m0040004w636.jpg

Selected Filmography

2006 Righteous Ties (director-screenwriter)

2005 Murder, Take One (director-screenwriter-planner)

Welcome to Dongmakgol (screenwriter-producer)

2004 Someone Special (director-screenwriter-producer)

2001 Guns and Talks (director-screenwriter-planner)

1999 The Spy (director-screenwriter)

1998 The Happenings: Amazing Men (director-screenwriter)

CREDIT

CINEMA SERVICE Presents

in Association with CJ ENTERTAINMENT & CJ Asset Management Co.

a KnJ ENTERTAINMENT production

in aAssociation with FILM IT SUDA

a JANG JIN Film

“MY SON” CHA SEUNG-WON, RYU DEOK-HWAN

Executive Producer KANG WOO-SUK Producer LEE EUN-HA KIM JIN-YOUNG

Music by LEE BYUNG-WOO Edited by KIM SANG-BUM

Lighting Supervisor LEE BYOUNG-HOON

Cinematographer CHOI SANG-HO

Screenplay and Directed by JANG JIN

Associate Producer KIM IN-SOO KIM JOO-SUNG NA HYO-SEUNG

ⓒ 2007 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

Over the Border

SYNOPSIS

Sun-ho, a French horn player for the Mansoodae Artists Group, Pyong-yang’s state propaganda troupe, is a man who has everything. He’s from a well off family and has a beautiful fiancée, Yeon-hwa. However, his world turns upside-down when a letter from his grandfather in Seoul is discovered by the authorities. His family has to flee North Korea and they take refuge in Seoul. Now with no money and friends, Sun-ho’s only hope is to make enough money to bring Yeon-hwa from North Korea.

PRODUCTION NOTE

The last love story in a tragic era of two separated nations.

There is no doubt why films with the subject of the North and South have been pleasant hits in Korea, with <JSA>, <Taegukki>, <Welcome to Dongmakgol>, etc. Facing the harsh reality of a divided nation, the narrative of the common theme has diversified, as with the case of <Over the Border>.

It is not only families that had to be separated from the war, but also the loved ones. <Over the Border> is a love story that transcends time, a story that will bring tears to all audiences.

CAST & CHARACTERS

KIM Sun-ho (CHA Seung-won)

Let’s leave this place. China, America… Let’s go to a place that can embrace us.

Pyungyang’s Mansoodae French Horn player Sun-ho defects to South Korea leaving behind his fiancée, Yeon-hwa. Through the course of time, his belief of meeting Yeon-wha fades, and he begins a new life with Kyung-ju. But expecting to see Yeon-hwa never again, he hears of her defection down south. Now he has to face the harsh reality of having to choose between the two women he loves…

Filmography : Kick the Moon (2001), My Teacher, Mr. Kim (2003), Ghost House (2004), Blood Rain (2005)

LEE Yeon-hwa (CHO Yi-jin)

Did you ever think of me when holding her breasts? Did you?

Once believing of marrying Sun-ho, she gets separated by Sun-ho’s unexpected defection. For years she searches for a way to escape the communist nation, and when she finally gets to see Sun-ho again, he is no longer the man that she had dreamed of marrying.

Filmography : The Aggressives (2005)

DIRECTOR

AHN Pan-suk

For 17 years, AHN was the exemplar producer of the TV drama scene in Korea. Countless hits including <Roses and bean sprouts>, <Hyunjung, I love you>, and <Ajumma>, AHN has left television during the peak heights of his TV producing career to move onto film. <Over the Border> is his first feature film.

CREDIT

CJ ENTERTAINMENT presents

a SIDUS FNH production

A film by AHN PAN-SUK

CHA SEUNG-WON CHO YI-JIN SHIM HYE-JIN

“OVER THE BORDER”

music by HAN JAE-KWON lighting supervisor SONG TAIK-JOON

edited by SHIN MIN-KYUNG production designer YANG HONG SAM

director of photography PARK YONG-SOO

executive producers KIM JOO-SUNG TCHA SEUNG-JAE KIM MI-HEE

produced by LEE SUK-WON

screenplay by JUNG YOO-KYUNG

directed by AHN PAN-SUK

ⓒ 2007 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

Murder, Take One

m0010102baksup1h585of5.jpgm0010103baksup2h585nm7.jpg

Presented by Cinema Service

In association with CJ Entertainment Inc.

Produced by Another Sunday

August 11, 2005

Thriller/Mystery, 115min, 1.85:1, Dolby Digital SRD, Color

Festivals & Awards : 2005 9th Michinoku Int'l Mystery Film Festival in Morioka

SYNOPSIS

LIVE BROADCAST SPECIAL, ON AIR!

The Homicide of Jung Yoo Jung. Who killed her?

None can resist the 48 hours of exhilarating live broadcast police investigation

1. Purpose

l Producing a show, more diverse than “Saturday Night” and more unpredictable than the 2002 World Cup!

l Sponsored by the “Making a better world” campaign headquarters and part of the “No crime society” campaign, the criminal investigation of the homicide of an attractive copywriter becomes your favorite television show for its 48 hours of investigation!

2. Ultimate Objective

l Reaching an unprecedented program rating of 70% per minute!

l Using the popularity of the invincible attorney Mr. Choi, as the live camera follows the enthusiastic examination of the principal suspect – Kim Young Hoon.

3. Preliminary Arrangements

l A panel consisted of a moderator, a commentator, and most promising professionals from the field of criminal psychology, criminology, and law.

l Preliminary set-up of CCTV (Surveillance) cameras all over the investigation center for a lively close-up of the “48 Hours of Live Criminal Investigation Show.”

l However, if the program popularity rating falls by a percentage, the show must sacrifice someone to re-boost the enthusiasm.

4. Chronology of Events

l At a five-star hotel room number 1207, an attractive copywriter found dead.

l Nonstop testimonials of eight suspects who were on the scene of murder.

l Absolutely no evidence, no eyewitness.

l Perfectly veiled incident only waits to be unveiled.

PRODUCTION NOTE

Introducing…SpyderCam.

For the first time in the history of Korean film!

Upgrades the tension of suspense to the max!

It is not only the variety of characters and sequences the film is also proud of, but also the variety of equipment, including the SpyderCam system, which was introduced for the first time in the history of Korean film. Certainly, the new camera system powerfully portrays the tension evident from the introduction of the film to the arrest of the principal suspect.

Even from Hollywood – the home of visual effects, the SpyderCam system is evaluated to be one of the most perilous camera techniques, as it was used in the blockbuster film “Spiderman” by hanging the camera on the crane and lifting it directly perpendicular to the scene. As we all witnessed from “Spiderman,” the technique was applauded to be even more natural and vivacious than the ‘Bullet Time’ camera technique premiered in “The Matrix.”

Although it occupies only two to three minutes in the introduction of the final product, the SpyderCam filming was done successfully for 24 hours and the technique was evaluated to be the most ideal technique to capture the dynamic scene of murder. Undoubtedly, it was a technique that required precision and caution among the staff; fortunately, the technique was accomplished successfully.

It is certainly a delight for the thrill-hungry audiences to witness before their eyes a breathtaking cinematography, aided by the post-production computer graphics, which travels like a rollercoaster from the 12th floor scene of murder to the arrest of the principal suspect on the 1st floor.

SCALE DOES MATTER!

Splendid Police Investigation – Floor Space of 1,200 Square Meters

Unveiling of the colossal multistory structured investigation headquarters

The essence of this splendid police investigation film “Murder, Take One” is the colossal investigation headquarters set, built at Paju Hay-Ri Art Service Studio. The studio is proud to present to the public its vast floor space of 1,200 square meters and its stylish and scientifically created multistory double-winged film set complex. The set was created specifically for the film to construct a television show set for the program “Live Broadcast Special – The Homicide of Jung Yoo Jung.”

The set directly suggests that the film innovated the traditional concept of an investigation headquarters. It took approximately three months to construct the set into a multistory structure, and it is certainly fascinating to witness the glass walls and the central bridge that connects the two wings. It is a huge scale that reaches up to twelve rooms, filled with authentic televisions, computers, lap tops, copy machines, fax machines, etc, sponsored from electronic companies, which adds on to the authentic flavor of the set.

Actually, there is an interesting behind story to the seemingly flawless filming within the set. At first, the film’s original set was ready to be built in Gwang-Ju as a Visual Pictures Center inside the city. Although it was the first joint production project with Gwang-Ju to develop the city as the Mecca for all motion pictures industry, a week before filming, a fire totally annihilated the grand set of 1350 square meters.

Certainly, the news was like a bolt from the blue sky for the entire cast and crew because the investigation headquarters set was created for 70% of the entire filming. However, the Paju Art Service Studio was urgently suggested as the substitute for the burnt down Gwang-Ju studio. Although there was a huge financial loss, the team tried to comfort themselves with the traditional Korean saying that if there is a fire on the set before filming, the film becomes very profitable. It is certainly an eavesdropping curiosity for all whether the traditional Korean saying becomes a reality or not.

CAST & CHARACTERS

“The moment you were under my investigation, you were already under arrest!”

The legendary invincible attorney with animalistic senses. Choi Yeon Kee. Male. Mid-30s

Mr. Choi is the main attorney for the Live Broadcast television show “The Homicide of Jung Yoo Jung. Who killed her?” Because of his stylish and intellectual charm and his invincible verbal abilities, the program rating skyrockets with fanatical enthusiasm from the viewers. However, the only thing that hovers inside his brain is no other than the truth of who really killed the woman.

Cha Seung Won | Korea’s No.1 actor with an extensive spectrum of acting career

Korean box office’s beloved actor Cha Seung Won continually expanded his already wide spectrum of acting career through various genres in the history of Korean film, through “Fin de Siecle (1999),” “Libera Me (2000),” “Kick the Moon (2001),” “Jail Breaker (2002),” “Break Out (2002),” “Teacher Mr. Kim (2003),” and “Blood Rain (2005).” And lastly, through his latest performance in “Murder, Take One,” he transformed into an attractive and temperamental attorney Mr. Choi to draw the final borderline for the never-ending expansion of acting career. It is certainly not an exaggeration to remark that the role was almost specifically made for Cha, when one witnesses his impressive ability of characterization throughout the film.

Award

2003 | The 39th BaekSang Arts Awards Best Actor Award

Filmography

2000 | Libera Me

2001 | Kick the Moon

2002 | Break Out

2002 | Jail Breaker

2003 | Teacher Mr. Kim

2004 | Ghost House

2005 | Blood Rain

“She died … for good!

Principal suspect without any evidence. Kim Young Hoon. Male. Early 30s.

The man who appeared on the scene of murder with a gasoline bottle. He was under arrest at the very scene of murder and he became the scapegoat of the live broadcast investigation show. He is a man with a taciturn personality with a deceiving look of an external angel and an internal devil. As the investigation conducted by the invincible attorney Mr. Choi continues, he merely develops his hatred towards the victim – Jung Yoo Jung. It is a question of everyone’s interest – did he actually kill her?

Shin Ha Gyun | A role model for all Korean actors, his new beginning!

An innocent looking guy with such an angelic smile, actor Shin Ha Gyun debuted on the screen through director Jang Jin’s first feature film “Amazing Men (1998),” and developed his acting career through films such as “Joint Security Area (2000),” “Guns & Talks (2001),” “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002),” “Save the Green Planet (2003),” and “My Brother (2004).” Through such a long filmography, Shin created his own reputation to be an always hard-working actor in the Korean film industry. Through “Murder, Take One,” he shall be facing a dangerous encounter with an invincible attorney Mr. Choi, enacted by Cha Seung Won, to emit a mysterious aura through his subtle and deceitful performance.

Awards

2000 | The 22nd Blue Dragon Film Awards Best Supporting Actor Award

2000 | The 8th Chunsa Film Art Festival Best Supporting Actor Award

2000 | Director’s Cut Best New Face Actor Award

2003 | Pusan International Film Festival Fipresci Award

Filmography

1998 | Amazing Men

1999 | The Spy

2000 | Joint Security Area

2001 | Guns & Talks

2002 | Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

2003 | Save the Green Planet!

2004 | My Brother

2005 | Welcome to Dong Mak Gol

Criminal Investigation Headquarters Chief Investigator. Chief Yoon.

As an experienced veteran in this field, he is the chief investigator of the Special Criminal Investigation Squad. Although he is serious when it comes to criminal investigations, he could turn to be somewhat bold and unreasonable, especially in his remarks. For the plot development of the narrative, he serves as a catalyst to the unveiling of the truth.

Shin Goo | 30 years of acting career serves best on the chief supporting role

Through his performance in the “Christmas in August (1997),” “No one can stop them (TV Sitcom Series),” “YMCA Baseball Team (2002),” “A Bout de Souffle (2003),” and “Super Family (2005)”, for many years he has been the most appropriate and wanted actor for varying roles of a Korean father in this era. For his lifelong acting career of 30 years, he has been loved and respected by all Korean people with his gentle and humane roles.

Awards

1966 | DongA Theater Awards Best Actor Award

1971 | DongA Theater Awards Best Actor Award

1999 | The 35th BaekSang Arts Awards Theater Section Best Actor Award

DIRECTOR

Jang Jin

Mystery, Humor, and Irony. All in One!

Unidentifiable Genre: “Murder, Take One”

At first, he was a theater director of artistic and creative plays such as “Huh-tang,” and “Taxi Dribble.” At the winter of year 1998, director Jang Jin shifts his creativity to the film industry through, as the title suggests, an amazing and creative comedy “Amazing Men (1998). Henceforth, he expressed his creative wit and effusive passion on his feature films such as “The Spy,” “Guns & Talks,” and “Someone Special.” Besides these feature films, he also never ceased to participate in short film festivals such as the Environment Film Festival, and the Seoul Human Rights Film Festival.

Filmography

1998 | Amazing Men

1999 | The Spy

2000 | A radical day (short film)

2001 | Guns & Talks

2003 | In secrecy (short film)

2004 | Someone Special

Has the drizzle ended? (short film)

2005 | Kind Person (short film)

CREDIT

Distributed by Cinema Service Co., Ltd. Presented by CJ Entertainment Inc.

Directed & Screenplay by JANG Jin / Cast CHA Seung-won, SHIN Ha-gyun / Producer KIM Woon-ho / Cinematographer KIM Jun-young / Lighting Director JUNG Young-min / Editor KIM Sang-bum / Music HAN Jae-gwon

ⓒ 2005 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

m0020091baksu21h585.jpg

Guest kdramafanusa

Blood Rain

m0010032bloodrainp1h585xt4.jpgm0010034bloodrainp3h585up5.jpg

Presented by Cinema Service

In association with CJ Entertainment Inc.

Produced by F&H Pictures

May 4, 2005

Thriller/Mystery, 119min, 2.35:1, Dolby Digital SRD, Color

Festivals & Awards : 2005 24th Vancouver IFF, Dragons and Tigers Award

25th Hawaii IFF

SYNOPSIS

In the 19th century, in the latter part of the Chosun Dynasty, a remote island village called Donghwa has grown up around a paper mill. One day, a ship that is about to set sail with a paper tribute for the government is set fire. In order to discover who was responsible, a group of people including the investigator Won-gyu set off for the island.

On the first day that they arrive on the island, Won-gyu and his company hurry to find solve the mystery of the arson case, but are confronted with a gruesome murder. With an unidentifiable criminal and rumours that blood rain is about to fall, the villagers are unsettled by the thought that the spirit of Commissioner KANG, whose entire family was executed seven years ago, has returned to take his revenge.

Then...

As Won-gyu applies his cool-headed reasoning to solve the murder case, another gruesome murder occurs.

As Won-gyu's group, isolated on this wretched island, are unable to uncover any trace of the criminal, the crazed mood of the villagers present them with a dilemma. Il-kwon, the son of the paper mill's owner, responds to the panic-struck villagers by taking up more oppressive means, and continuously opposes Won-gyu. The emergence of Doo-ho, who received charity from the executed Commissioner KANG, and the discovery that he himself has some personal connection to this case sends Won-gyu bit by bit into a state of confusion...

PRODUCTION NOTE

Pre-production (2000 – June 2004)

After reading KIM Young-ha's novel Why Arang? in the fall of 2000, producer KIM Mi-hee, came up with the idea of putting a historical drama together with a modern subject, and thus began a long period of pre-production to create a tight screenplay. After 24 drafts, the screenplay was finally completed in February 2004 and the actors CHA Seung-won, PARK Yong-woo and JI Sung were cast into their respective roles. More difficult than the male roles was that of the Commissioner's daughter So-yeon, for which four stages of tests and auditions narrowed down a field of 200 to one person: debut actress YUN Se-ah. However, for the role of the shaman on Donghwa Island, the director wished to cast a figure that would not express the grotesque, frightening image that most people have come to associate with shamans, but instead to find a very feminine, sexy young woman who could appeal to men, while still expressing a sense of dark mystery. Finally, only two days before the opening of shooting, the director managed to find the image he wanted and cast CHOI Ji-na for the role of the shaman.

After all of the casting was complete, in order to steep themselves in the aura of the Chosun Dynasty, the cast members trained in period cultural etiquette and took horse riding lessons.

Opening of shooting: from sweltering Gyeongju to Yangdong (2004.6.28-29)

The first day of shooting took place on June 28, in a scene when the Emissary wishes to wrap up the case quickly, and Won-gyu expresses his misgivings. The problem was, from the next day the rainy season started, and with over 90% humidity, over 30 people were scheduled to be gathered for a crowd scene. In addition, a scene where Dok-gi is put on trial for the first murder also required a large group of actors. With the awkwardness that comes from a group of actors meeting for the first time, added to the hot weather, the sweat, and the need to wear fake beards and topknots, the first stage of shooting proved to be quite chaotic.

Shooting on Yeosu's "Geumo Island": cliffs, the sea, a village panorama (2004.7.28-31)

Yeosu's Geumo Island is a remote place with only 20 households. With thatched-roof houses still remaining intact, much of the shooting of the cliff, the seashore, the cave, and the village roads took place here. The road from the village up to the cliffs was only wide enough for a single vehicle, and had no kind of safety rails on the side to prevent a truck from going over the precipice. Therefore the best two drivers on the production team ferried people and production equipment back and forth, with the knowledge that they could plunge to their deaths.

Not only that, but in another scene regarding the cave near the ocean, there was a shot involving extras on a boat, but the waves were so severe that the boat kept crashing into the rocks, causing much distress for everyone. With many suffering from seasickness, the extras shot the scene amidst fear that they would crash into the rocks and die.

First shooting at the port village: Outside of Elder HEO's home

After half a year of location scouting in the southwestern part of Korea, the team finally discovered Hodu Village in Yeosu. The port set built there was made with truly hard work by the production design team. In a seaside area with absolutely nothing, $100,000 worth of stones were carried by ship and assembled into a port, and after such tireless work, even moss and lichens were affixed to them. On the first day of shooting at the set, director KIM Dae-seung was so surprised by the detailed rendition of the set, he came up to production designer MIN Eon-ok and said, "You've done such a great job" with tears in his eyes.

Port village set: Shooting of the arson scene (2004.8.19-24)

Since the image of the burned ship appeared in subsequent scenes, the shooting of the fire aboard the ship loaded with paper took place first. Shooting took place with over 100 extras at night in wind, with the danger involved in being near a strong fire. The shooting took place over an entire week, due to the weather. Even though the team checked with the local weather authorities before shooting, unexpected rain kept interrupting the shooting. With the weather being so uncooperative, the production team even gave up small offerings in the hopes for better weather conditions.

In South Jeolla Province, the chase scene on horseback (2004.11.15-18)

Shooting of the chase scene involving Won-gyu and the criminal riding on horseback took place in a forest in South Jeolla Province in Jangheung, in the middle of November when the weather was just beginning to turn cold. As widely reported in the Korean press, when actor CHA Seung-won was riding he fell off the horse and broke a rib. The shooting started with all of the crew nervous, as it was a dangerous scene and also one of the film's climactic scenes. CHA Seung-won, not wanting to delay the shooting, took only the simplest of treatment and then continued with shooting, thankfully completing the shoot without further incident and on time.

Crank-up: Blood rain falling at the paper mill (2005.2.28)

Like the title of the film, the final scene involved the falling of blood rain. Because the scene was shot in the winter, but had to match the look of the summer, all of the actors wore light clothing and experienced much hardship. However on the last day of shooting, the weather became unusually warm, allowing all the of the crew to let out a sigh of relief. The crew had worried much about the elderly extras in the scene who would have to be soaked with water in the cold weather, but thankfully the final shooting took place without any troubles.

CAST & CHARACTERS

1. Won-gyu – CHA Seung-won

Won-gyu, who is sent to Donghwa Island to solve the arson case of the ship carrying the paper tribute, attempts to unravel the chain of vicious murders. A Hamlet-like character with sharp drive and strong pride, he tries to deduce the crime with only his own intellect, but the investigation runs into a wall and he falls into confusion.

CHA Seung-won, who includes such box office hits as Kick The Moon, Jail Breakers, My Teacher Mr. Kim, and Ghost House in his filmography, has affixed the seal "actor" to his name. With Blood Rain, he makes a complete transformation from his usual jovial image to the charismatic investigator Won-gyu.

2. In-kwon – PARK Yong-woo

The son of the mill owner KIM Chi-seong, he in practical terms is the manager of the paper mill. Opposing Won-gyu in everything during his investigation of the murders, the cold and intellectual In-kwon forms one main axis of the drama.

In films like Shiri, Ditto, Musa and the KBS drama Age Of Warriors, PARK Yong-woo is an actor who has shown exceptional talent. In this film, he will give a cold and intellectual performance as the symmetrical opposite of the main character Won-gyu.

3. Doo-ho – JI Sung

Unable to forget the kindness bestowed on him by his former employer Commissioner KANG, he lives in the deceased man's home. The feelings he holds for the Commissioner's daughter So-yeon are secretly hidden deep within him, and as the murders progress he emerges as an important character.

In the SBS dramas All-In and Save The Last Dance For Me, JI Sung has captured the hearts of many viewers. One of the forerunners of the so-called "Korean wave" that has swept through Asia, here JI Sung will show us another side of himself.

DIRECTOR

Director – KIM Dae-seung

Beginning with JEONG Ji-young's White Badge and continuing on with director IM Kwon-taek, KIM Dae-seung spent over ten years working as an assistant director on such large-scale projects as Sopyonje (1994), The Taebaek Mountains (1994), Festival (1996), Downfall (1997), and Chunhyang (2000). With his debut Bungee Jumping of Their Own, he opened a new window for Korean melodramas while winning recognition for his tight direction. Contrary to expectations that he would take up another melodrama for his second film, he continues his career with the period-set murder mystery Blood Rain.

CREDIT

CHA Seung-won / PARK Yong-woo / JI Sung

Cinema Service Co., Ltd. presents

a FNH Pictures production

Directed by KIM Dae-seung

Executive Producer KANG Woo-suk /

Producer KIM Mi-hee /

Line producer KIM Sung-jae /

Screenplay LEE Won-jae /

Cinematography CHOI Young-hwan /

Lighting KIM Sung-gwan /

Editing KIM Sang-beom, KIM Jae-beom /

Music CHO Young-uk

ⓒ 2005 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

Ghost House

- A KIM Sang-jin Film

- Presented by Cinema Service Co., Ltd

- Produced by Cinema Service Co., Ltd

- September 17, 2004

- Comedy, 123min, 1.85:1, Dolby SRD, Color

SYNOPSIS

Pil-gi has never forgotten the words of his deceased father’s will “you must have a house of your own.” There not having been a single member of his family who has owned a home for the last 3 generations, Pil-gi slaves for 10 long years to earn the money to finally buy a house for himself. Working as an engineer by day and as a special service taxi driver for drunks who can’t drive their own cars by night, it’s undeniable that he’s earned the right to have his own home. Ecstatic about his accomplishment, he cries out with joy, “dad, I bought a house, it’s all mine. Now, you’re finally happy up there, right?”

But just as his dream comes true, it turns out that there’s someone or something else that holds claim of the house, and it mercilessly tries to drive him out using the actual house itself. Among other things, a couch and a kitchen knife, guided by the ghost, attacks him. And as the bizarre attacks begin to intensify, the image of an actor on TV warns him to get out of the house. Pil-gi is thrown in a desperate state of shock and disbelief and thinks to himself, that “this is too much! I’ve worked like hell to earn this house, and now this is happening to me? ”It’s a pitiful site to see that he finally is forced out of his “dream house” and has to spend the night at a motel all because of a ghost that won’t let him stay. Finally, with true determination, he decides to make a stand and declares an all out war against the ‘ghost’.

PRODUCTION NOTE

Director of <Attack the Gas Station (1999)>, <Kick the Moon (2001)> and <Jail Breaker (2002)>

KIM Sang-jin, now brings Comedy and Horror together for double impact.

The film was based on the concept that “ghosts or spirits can exist within the reality of human beings.” So, there is definitely a ghost present. As “she” relentlessly and cold-bloodedly attacks Pil-gi using the actual house itself, the same house that he has been dreaming of owning in order to finally attain true happiness. While the horror element is obvious, it shouldn’t be forgotten that the director also incorporates some solid comedic elements to the film, humor that’ll have the audience rolling in their seats with laughter. For example, the climax of the film is intensely scary, but the audience won’t be able to help but burst out with laughter, this being the true catharsis of the story. As Pil-gi and the ghost fight it out for claims on the house, the audience’s attention is sure to be locked with fright and laughter for beginning to end.

Newly Built house for the Ghost?

The house that is the setting of the film and that which symbolizes Pil-gi’s life dream and aspiration, sits atop a hill overlooking the ocean. It’s estimated value is 250,000 US dollars. Just a single glance of the beautiful view from the house is enough to inspire the love of nature in anyone, guaranteeing that anyone would be obsessed with keeping the house for themselves.

As a contrast, Pil-gi works as an engineer at a shipyard that could be described as a grey, industrial wasteland. Day in and day out, he is surrounded by machinery and symbols of technology, which is why when he is back at home amidst the serene, peaceful environment of nature he knows that he is at home. But ironically, he is forced to wage a war against the most unlikely and absurd opponent for rights to his house, a ghost.

Enormous CG works, special effects, and…. Chickens in Wire action!

As the director KIM admits, <Ghost House > is different from his previous films. First of all, when it comes to cinematography, computer graphics were used for more than 50% of the whole movie. Not to mention the amount of action sequences with the use of wires. A scene of particular interest is when Pil-gi is being chased out by the chickens and is running up on the roof of the house. Here, he is surrounded by hens that seemingly have taken an oath of vengeance against him for the murder of their friend committed by Pil-gi’s father long ago. The shooting of this scene required very skillful and inventive shooting techniques, and it also called upon a specialized cinematographer as well.

CAST & CHARACTERS

" Pil-gi" [ CHA Seung-won ]

“Oh, dad, I wish you were here with me now.

But you’re watching me from up there right? I finally have my ‘own house’!”

Pil-gi is an engineer at a shipbuilding yard and works as a taxi driver by night. But he is thrown into an unbelievable ironic situation as a ghost possesses his dream house. It’s a ridiculous predicament that he isn’t able to exercise his right to be master of his own home after having rightfully earned it. But the more involved he gets in the bizarre situation, the true story of the ghost and it’s claims to the house are revealed, and he finds himself getting involved in something that is surely unexpected.

Starring CHA Seung-won; always adding adventure to a new film

CHA is a top-notch actor with a handsome face and an impressive build. He is one of the most prominent actors in Korea, known for exceptionally convincing and unique comic performances. In addition, he is adamant about continually developing his skills as an actor. CHA Sung-won is undoubtedly one of the most sought after actors in the field, and this is the third film he has worked on together with director KIM Sang-jin.

[Filmography] <Blood Rain (In Production)>, <My Teacher Mr. KIM>, <Jail Breaker>, <Break Out>, <Kick the Moon>

“Yon-wha" (The ghost) [ JANG Suh-hee ]

“Get the hell out of here, this is My house!!”

Yon-wha is a lonely ghost, who dwells in the home bought by Pil-gi. She does everything within her power to keep the house to herself, driving every new tenant out just as fast as they move in. But her true motives are far from evil, and as Pil-gi decides to challenge her, her secret story slowly begins reveal itself.

Starring JANG Suh-hee

JANG Suh-hee rocked the country with her outstanding performance in the TV drama<Mermaid>. Since then, she has been steadily offered roles in films, this being the first of her career. Director KIM is convinced that her passionate acting on TV as well as her beauty will make her a perfect movie star. With her debut on the screen in <Ghost House >, she is guaranteed to become one of the leading movie actresses.

[Filmography] TV Drama: <Merry-go-round>, <Mermaid>

DIRECTOR

Director KIM Sang-jin

"I expect <Ghost House > to go beyond the limits of simply being a character- driven or situation- centered comedy. It will be a new pioneering genre of comedies, which appeals to the fantastic sensibilities of the audience."

There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that KIM Sang-jin is a director of box office hit caliber. This fact’s been proven with the box office success of his last three films. Now, for the third time, KIM and CHA are a team. What’s more, <Ghost House > has very different circumstances from that of their previous projects, that being that <Ghost House> has a unique element of unpredictability to it that makes it work. Namely, it is the fact that feelings of fear and suspense are blended with splashes of comedic relief which all takes place in, what would normally be a very basic and dull setting, a new house. In this film, the audience is never given the chance to let their guards down. This movie is pure ‘FUN’.

[Filmography]

<Jail Breaker>, <Kick the Moon>, <Attack the Gas Station >

CREDIT

- Executive Producer KANG Woo-suk

- Directed by KIM Sang-jin

- Producer LEE Min-ho

- Cinematography LEE Ki-won

- Production Design OH Sang-man

- Gaffer CHOI Sung-won

- Music SOHN Moo-hyun

- Editing GOH Im-pyo

ⓒ 2004 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

My Teacher, Mr.Kim

- A Jang Gyu-sung Film

- Produced by A Fun & Happiness production

- March 28, 2003

- Comedy, 114min, 2.35:1, Dolby SRD, Color

SYNOPSIS

KIM Bong-doo, a corrupt teacher who loves envelopes filled with money.

KIM Bong-doo, a ‘popular’ elementary school teacher in Seoul, is a problem teacher who comes late to school more than the students, and is scolded by the principal everyday. He likes drinking better than preparing his courses, and he actively encourages and coaxes parents to offer money in exchange for his favoring their children. But one day, he finally gets caught in his own act, and gets transferred to a school in the boondocks.

Teacher KIM Bong-doo gets transferred to a school out in nowhere.

KIM Bong-doo gets driven away to a school in the countryside, where cell phones are useless and even buying cigarettes at the nearest corner store is out of the question. There are only five students in the whole school, and he’s also discontent with the extremely naive villagers who offer him all sorts of vegetables and fruits instead of money.

Independent-study in 1st period, art in 2nd period, P.E. in 3rd period…

Mr. Kim idles his time waiting for the day to return to Seoul as quickly as possible.

To make matters worse, a grumpy old man named Mr. Choi begs him to teach him the Korean alphabet, which makes Mr. Kim’s life in the country even gloomier.

Return back to Seoul? Or does down the school?

Mr. Kim, who waits for the chance to return to Seoul, maps out a plan to transfer all of his students to Seoul and to close the school down. For starters, Mr. Kim begins an after-school program to focus on developing each student’s special talents so that they’ll want to get a better education in Seoul. Contrary to his bad intentions, the villagers and school officials reconsider their policy of closing down the school because of Mr. Kim’s wonderful devotion to the kids.

But when there’s a will there’s a way for KIM Bong-doo. A businessman unexpectedly shows up and says he’d like to turn the school into a survival game site, and because of him, Mr. Kim tastes the power of money again, which he had forgotten for a while.

Will the senseless and good-for-nothing teacher Mr. KIM Bong-doo ever succeed in going back to Seoul?

PRODUCTION NOTE

Mr. Kim’s prayer:

“Our Father, which art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy school come. Thy will be done, on this school as it is in Heaven. Father, give us this day our daily booze and cigarettes, and forgive us of our trespasses. But Father, why did you send me to the countryside? Why? This little lamb has been constantly repenting his past sins, so please forgive me of all my trespasses. And I earnestly pray that my Heavenly Father will rescue me from the boondocks. Amen.”

- From a little lamb in Kangwon Province, Kim Bong-doo -

(1) Ecstatic news of a new teacher

Cha Seung-won of <Kick the Moon>, <Break Out> and <Jail Breakers> became a new teacher of a rural school far away from the city. Of course, he didn’t go there out of sacrifice. He’s just a good-for-nothing teacher who’s been too corrupted by city life. He’s also a greedy teacher who will go out of his way to squeeze money of the pockets of his students’ parents. But this good-for-nothing teacher is born anew as a true teacher through five little students he meets at his new school. Mr. Kim says, “Yes, a really wonderful teacher teaches his students, but he can learn from his students as well.”

For Cha Seung-won, this is the second time he played a teacher after he starred in “Kick the Moon.” His character in “Kick the Moon” was simply a bully-turned-teacher who has a showdown with his old high school classmate who was a nerd-turned-gangster boss. In “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM,” as we could see from the title, the whole drama is centered on the character Mr. Kim, therefore, we can expect a more exciting performance from the infamous teacher, Cha Seung-won. And unlike his gangster foe in “Kick the Moon,” his counterparts this time are merely five innocent children at a rural school in Kangwon Province. Literally being a one-man show by Cha for the first time since his screen acting debut, in “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM”, we can anticipate his broad acting ability, ranging from knee-slapping comedy to heart-warming drama.

(2) Introduction of a rural school: Youngwul District in Kangwon Province

Since “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM” can also be looked at as a story about a city teacher’s unique experience in the countryside, nearly 90 percent of this film was set outside of the city. The crew combed the country to search for closed down schools that are still in tact and surrounded by beautiful scenery only found in the countryside. Since many of Director Jang Gyu-sung’s childhood memories are reflected in the script, the crew went deep into the rural areas of Kangwon Province. Finally, the crew found ‘Yeounpo school’ in the mountain region of Youngwul District, which was the perfect setting for this movie.

After going over two more mountains from Youngwul town, following a single meandering cliff road for about an hour and crossing a river deep in the valley, you’ll finally come upon a breath-taking picturesque place. The real school here was closed down a year before the actual shooting took place. With the mountains and valleys surrounding, it’s most definitely an ‘isolated’ place and even impossible to get a signal on anyone’s cell phone. Also, the beautiful landscapes of Kangwon Province set in the summer, fall and winter are all captured on the screen, and you could feel the fascinating and heavenly visuals through super 35mm film, as if you were revisiting your grandmother’s countryside home in your childhood. So “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM” is a beautiful piece of work that is untainted and without any filth from the city.

(3) Awarding Conferment Ceremony: To the children who challenged Mr. Kim

* Five heroic kids guard their school

The most bothersome people to interrupt Mr. Kim’s escape from the countryside are none other than the five innocent and cute kids at the school - sixth grader Nam-oak, fifth graders So-seok and Ae-soon, fourth grader Nam-jin and first grader Sung-man. Just by looking at these kids will put a smile on anyone’s faces. Director Jang Gyu-sung based the children’s images in the movie on the pictures of his real childhood classmates. During the main audition, children who resembled the kids in the picture were selected first, and in the second calling, they were dressed up like kids of Kangwon Province and their country dialect were tested. The five children who were selected through this process were fabulously transformed into real Kangwon children in the movie.

CAST & CHARACTERS

Kim Bong-doo / Cha Seung-won

A Corrupt good-for-nothing teacher, KIM Bong-doo“I’ll never be able to buy a house with a teacher’s petty salary…!

[Cha Seung-won] After starring in “Kick the Moon,” “Breakout,” and “Jail Breakers,” Cha Seung-won has won recognition for his specially bright acting ability. He has expanded his range as an actor in a leading role by not only acting in comedies but also in various dramas. Cha Seung-won really wanted to do “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM” because it’s a project where he could ardently express his acting skills in a touching drama with children. Expect Korea’s best actor to make the audience laugh and cry.

Credits: When the Sun Rises in the West, Honeymoon, Segimal, Libera Me, Kick the Moon, Breakout, Jail Breakers

Students

The unstoppable heroic five of a backwater school

“No matter what anyone says, our teacher is the best!”

1) Class Monitor * Nam-oak: a very timid girl [Choi Min-joo]

- grade: six

- student ID: 5

- characteristic: blushing even over the smallest things

- specialty: writing down students’ names for misbehaving

- words for the teacher: Mr. Kim, what’s our next class?

2) Assistant Class Monitor * So-seok : a bright and clever boy [Lee Jae-eung]

- grade: five

- student ID: 4

- characteristic: often hangs around the teacher

- specialty: skipping rocks on the brook

- words for the teacher: We all like you teacher~

3) Classroom Beautifier * Ae-soon: a decent girl of all trades [Lee Ji-eun]

- grade: five

- student ID: 3

- characteristic: can’t help but meddle in other people’s business

- specialty: interfering with everything

- words for the teacher: Mr. Kim, that’s not true~

4) Classroom Cleaner * Nam-jin: a clumsy trouble-maker [Kim Hong-kyun]

- grade: three

- student ID: 2

- characteristic: likes independent-study more than learning from the teacher

- specialty: firmly believes what the teacher says and follows it.

- words for the teacher: Mr. Kim, shall we study by ourselves again after lunch? Hee, hee!!

5) Assistant Classroom Cleaner * Sung-man: an adorably cute boy [Han Sung-jin]

- grade: first

- student ID: 1

- characteristic: the youngest student who closely follows his classmates

- specialty: drawing pictures with his own imagination

- words for the teacher: I wuv you teater~

Mr. Choi / Byun Hee-bong

Student body leader * Mr. Choi: A grumpy old student

“Jeez, the teacher smokes foreign cigarettes… and even swears?!”

Mr. Choi is a native of the mountains in Kangwon Province and feared by the kids. He has a finicky and grumpy personality and even imposes it on the new teacher from Seoul, Mr. Kim Bong-doo. Even a person like Mr. Choi, who also can’t stand Mr. Kim’s improper behavior, has something that has always bothered him…the very fact that he can’t read and write! He later changes his ways and now that he wants to be the sixth student to share and study with a class of five kids, it looks to be trouble for the days ahead of Mr. Kim.

[byun Hee-bong]

With his superb acting skills, he perfectly melted into his past roles, like in the films “Flander’s Dog” and “Volcano High,” and through these works, he has wonderfully featured his elderly charisma. Bong, who has became a household name as an innovative and fancied actor, returns to the silver screen in “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM” as an old student who we have no choice but to think is grumpy and cute at the same time.

Film Credits: Flander’s Dog, Volcano High, Scent of Love

Choon-shik / Sung Jee-roo

School Janitor * Choon-shik: A constant nit-picker

“So there’s a new teacher who came for the kids? There’s no way I’ll believe that!!!”

He’s the unmarried janitor who loves the school and the kids. If it’s for the students, he won’t say no to any hard work. But one day a new teacher from the city shows up unexpectedly and for some reason he feels uncomfortable with him. To find out Mr. Kim’s true motives, always keeps a close watch on him.

[sung Jee-roo]

Actor Sung Jee-roo started his career in theater.

He graduated as a theater major from Seoul Arts University. With 14 years of experience on the stage, he has cultivated a solid acting ability and charismatic persona, which has added more flavor to the roles he took on in film and made him one of Korea’s most successful and popular actors. So in “MY TEACHER, MR. KIM,” it’s not hard to discover the sincere and lovable Choon-shik within Sung Jee-roo.

Film Credits: Tears, Kick the Moon, A.F.R.I.K.A., Public Enemy, Breakout, Marrying The Mafia, H:Murmurs

DIRECTOR

Director JANG Gyu-sung

Director’s note

“I was a country boy living in Kangwon Province. A small school in the countryside was the whole world to my friends and I. On the way to school, I’d cross over a trickling brook, and a bridge covered with gravels of different colors. Going to school was as if I was going to meet a friend. Even on days when I was too busy with farming and couldn’t go to school, I felt like it was still a place that would always wait for me like a friend.

My teacher…He had a simple smile, and always cared for our parents who worked hard as farmers. Azalea flowers starting to bud in spring were our favorite snack as kids. Also, fishing and splashing water with the teacher was a precious pastime for us, and no matter how much we did it, we never got sick of it.

And now that I’ve become a movie director, those memorable times with my teacher and friends and at our school all became a story that I really wanted to tell to the audience.

So I hope that this will become a story that everyone will remember, instead of being just a faded memory. “

CREDIT

- Executive Producer Kang Woo-seok

- Producer Kim Mi-hee / Son Sae-hoon

- Director Jang Gyu-sung

- Screenplay Jang Gyu-sung / Lee Won-hyung

- Cinematography Kim Yoon-soo

- Lighting Lee Seung-koo

- Production Design Kang Seung-yong / Jung Eun-jung (Art Service, Co.)

- Editor KOH Im-pyo

- Music Choi Yong-nak

- Location Sound Kang Shin-kyu

ⓒ 2003 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

Jail Breakers

- A KIM Sang-jin Film

- Produced Director's Home

- November 21, 2002

- Action Comedy, 120min, 1.85:1, Dolby SRD, Color

SYNOPSIS

The Two went over the wall too early.

Only one day before the Independence Day special pardons!

Wanting to be included in the Independence Day Special Pardons list, Jae-Pil (Sul Kyoung-Gu) diligently leads an exemplary prison life. Just when he's set to get out and marry the love of his life, Kyoung-soon comes for a visit and drops the bomb that she will be getting married to someone else!

Determined to change the cheating girlfriend's heart and mind, our model inmate decides to escape from prison.

After stealing some bread and not being able to give ID, Mu-suk (Cha Seung-Won) is sent straight to jail on unjust charges. Feeling that he is unfairly stuck, he makes numerous but hopeless escape attempts only to remain unsuccessful. One afternoon, he lands on a spoon and begins making an escape route for the next six years. On the day that he finally completes digging his escape hole, Jae-Pil appears out of nowhere and joins in the escape!

The two prisoners make their escapes and bid never ever to return to their cells!! Reading their first early morning paper from the outside, they discover their names under the Independence Day Special Pardoned Releases list….

They could have easily walked out of the prison gates being under the Special Pardons list. But, they went past the gates a little too soon! Will Jae-Pil and Mu-suk ever succeed in going through the even tougher barriers that keep them from getting back in?

PRODUCTION NOTE

After a terribly difficult escape, the biggest challenge lies in returning to the cell!!

The Korean Republic's Best Comic Special-Pardoned Troops Ever!

With the Leading Comic Director + the Leading Comic Writer + the Leading Comic Actors, these Troops in the Special-Pardoned Troops are sure to steal some big laughs! is a " guaranteed " box-office-hit promising the fabulous joint efforts of both Director Kim Sang-Jin and Writer Park Jung-Woo, following their smash hits, <> and <Attack the Gas Station!>. Director Kim Sang-Jin, who first introduced the world of 'the character-comedy movie' in <>, once again triumphs through "Jail Breakers" with a refreshing jewel in Korean style Comedy called, "Punkster Comedy". Throughout filming <>, Director Kim put forth special efforts to shoot at a more controlled pace than in his past works; further showing his great passion and dedication to <>. Furthermore, Director Kim's partner in crime, Writer Park Jung-Woo puts the definitive touch and highlights yet another Kim Sang-Jin Comedy . perfectly has the delicate perplexities that arise in extreme situations as in and holds the riveting story-telling flavors of . The two best leading Korean actors Sul Kyoung-Gu and Cha Seung-Won play the ill-fated fugitives who struggle in going back to their cells only after a fantastic escape. Song Yun-Ah joins them in adding spark to the film with a refreshing transformation from past characters.

The best, top grade casting, ever!

The industry's most powerful Korean actors: Sul Kyoung-gu meets Cha Seung-won!

Sul Kyoung-gu received high recognitions as an actor, sweeping away most of the film trophies of the year 2002. He received rave reviews in his portrayal of a heartless, immoral detective in <>. Sul, who gained a reputation of being a 'character actor' in his role of Jong-Du in further spreads his on-screen wings by appearing in the comedy, <>. In this film, he plays the role of a "swindler" Jae-Pil, who sets out to break out of jail for love at the risk of his life. Sul Kyeong-gu, is a true actor who is unafraid to wreck his image before the camera and his work. From the lunatic arsonist in <Libera Me>, through the gang-like teacher in <Kick the Moon>, and to the unforgettable Chul-gon in <>, Cha, Seung-Won has shown impressive performances in all genres. This time, he tops his comic performances of past through! By portraying Mu-suk, an ignorant but sympathetic character, Cha Seung-Won reveals his best carved comic character over the years.

‘Punkster’, and the real world within! A refreshing comedy spawned by director KIM Sang-jin!!

After a tough but lucky jailbreak…

Jae-pil and Mu-Suk face an unbelievable reality that they must find a way to go back to their cells! Was this situation developed just for comic relief in the film? Director Kim-Sang-Jin shows his unique narration style and successfully drives a slight twist in an ironic situation in life into a comedy. The audience is left to peep into the deep insights and the sharp criticisms of the life that hide behind the laughs. <Jail Breakers> shows the harsh reality of the world that awaits the escaped convicts who have nowhere to turn to and nothing to do. It further targets the oppression and tyranny that the inmates must face, blocked away from the outside world. The film also questions the judgments placed on those that are estranged and neglected and strikes the distorted contradictions in society.

CAST & CHARACTERS

Jae-pil, the naive con-artist

<Today's Horoscope> Jae-pil's Rather than staying in, it's better if you get out. Troubles in your love life will develop. You're looking at a broken compass so your troubles are inevitable. You might have some problems getting to your destination today. But all in all, it's an outrageously lucky day!

Jae-pil is a naive con-man who cries over a woman and makes the escape all for a woman. It turns out that he is betrayed by the love of his life and becomes a hopeless fugitive who makes an unnecessary escape. However, he valiantly stands against a love filled with conditions and calculations and proves that his love is no lie.

SUL Kyoung-gu

After seeing his work in <peppermint candy>, people revered SUL Kyoung-gu as a dramatic actor. Following <Public Enemy>, he became a top box-office performer. And through <Oasis>, he proved to be a respected actor, worldwide. This year, he chose to star in his first motion picture with Director KIM Sang-jin. Taking on the challenge of a comic character following his previous roles in action and melodrama films, he guarantees explosive laughs as Jae-pil in <Jail Breakers>, a movie that is set to rewrite Korean box-office history!

[Filmography]

2002, <Public Enemy>, <Oasis>

2000, <I wish I had a Wife>

1999, <Peppermint Candy> and more...

Mu-suk, the awkward thief.

<Today's horoscope> Mu-suk's. Today's the day you've been waiting for! As a businessman looks for his partner you have many years in your area of expertise and will receive recognition. A problem will arise in something that is going along well and you will tumble into a well of troubles. Although you may be fully prepared, there may be no way out of this one. Be sure to follow all public rules today. Mu-suk is an incredibly unlucky guy who ended up in jail just for stealing some bread and for failing to produce a positive ID. An ignorant yet naive man who meditates daily on his undeserved sentence, Mu-suk's only goal in life is to escape! However, he faces life with his bare hands and arms rolled up, ready to take on any challenges ahead. Putting actions before words, he proves more human than those who use extravagant rhetoric to get out of sticky situations.

CHA Seung-won

CHA Seung-won set his mark as a comic actor through <Kick the Moon> and <Turn on the lighter ?>. In his character who lives without knowing the trades of the world and who slams into situations with brawn rather than brain, this talented actor brings improved comic relief from his characters of past.

[Filmography]

2002, <Spark Lighter>

2001, <Kick the Moon>

2000, <Libera Me>, and etc.

DIRECTOR

Director KIM Sang-jin

The charismatic director who brought Korean Comedy to new heights!

"Who knows? My films could very well make it to Cannes someday!"

<Kick the Moon>. He is pleased to release the debut film from his own production company. <Jail Breakers> Kim Sang-Jin has publically proclaimed his dedication to making comedy films a more popular genre. His love for comedy is realized in the laughs he brings to his audiences. He states that when he is in his 60's he would have hoped his original comedy films highlighted the screens at Cannes: further showing his love for the genre. <Jail Breakers> was strenuously put together through rough shooting schedules, working alongside typhoons and other obstacles. Needless to say, the director has especially high hopes to see his great efforts be dazzled on the big screen!

[Filmography]

1995_ <Millions in My Account>

1996_ <Final Blow>

1998_ <Two Cops 3>

1999_ <Attack the Gas Station>

2001_ <Kick the Moon>

2002_ <Jail Breaker>

CREDIT

- Executive producer Kang Woo-seok

- Producer Lee Min-ho

- Screenplay by PARK Jung-woo

- Directed by KIM Sang-jin

- Photo director Jung Gwang-suk

- Lighting director PARK Min

- Music SHON Mu-hyun

- Editor KOH Im-pyo

- Location sound OH Se-jin

- Production designCHO Sung-won

- Art Director JANG Yeon-seon

ⓒ 2002 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

Break Out

- A JANG Hang-jun Film

- Produced Astars ENTERTAINMENT

- July 17, 2002

- Action Comedy, 103min, 2.35:1, Dolby SRD, Color

SYNOPSIS

A bum loses a lighter, his only possession!

A pathetic low-life HUR Bongu (KIM Seung-woo), who still steels from his parents meets his day of disaster. Nothing ever works out from the beginning for Bongu. Having gone to the reserves training, he's only left with 300 wons in his pocket and unexpectedly ends up in Seoul station, where he leaves the lighter in the bathroom.

The man’s last pride, I’ll take it back!

Bongu finds the bathroom again. But the lighter's already in mob boss YANG Chul-gon's (CHA Seung-won) hands. Chul-gon, who's been living on congressman Park's payroll by helping him out through his campaigns comes to Seoul station with his men to get once again acquainted with Congressman Park, who's been avoiding him for a while.

Bongu gets beaten up for trying to get his lighter back. He gets on the train just so that he can get back the lighter and dares everyone.

At 20:30, a train headed for Busan from Seoul is in Danger!

As soon as the train goes past the Seoul station, Chul-gon begins his plan!

Chul-gon asks Congressman Park for money, but things get slightly more complicated thereafter. Worried about fuss on his past, congressman Park doesn't let up easily. Chul-gon then takes over and kidnaps the train in an attempt to get his money. The whole train turns upside down.

On a day of bad luck, disaster strikes!

With hundreds of hostages held on the train, police force is spread out all across stops along the rail line, but Chul-gon decides to run through the stops non-stop.

HUR Bongu insists on getting his lighter back from the mob boss Chul-gon amidst all the trouble on board.

HUR Bongu vs. YANG Chul-gon. The high-speed match up.

Will Bongu win his ligher back?

PRODUCTION NOTE

Bruce Willis in Hollywood! KIM Seung-woo in Korea!

<Die Hard>'s Bruce Willis and KIM Seung-woo share one thing in common. That is, grueling work on the scene. Reserves training, hanging on train rooftops, getting beat up, etc. But, KIM Seung-woo kept throwing himself on to shooting the movie

The Chun-ahn station scene had to be one of Kim's most memorable scenes. Being thrown around the train, while getting bruised all over weren't the only overwhelming challenges, especially when he would hear, "Kim, we have an NG".

Nevertheless, the most difficult and challenging part of it all had to be with the scene on the train's rooftop where it took him over 10 hours.

Acting out HUR Bongu surely wasn't an easy task to endure for KIM Seung-woo.

CHA Seung-won returns to the screen!

Last year, CHA Seung-won kicked off his film career with a huge success from <Kick the Moon>,that went head to head at the box office with major Hollywood features. This year, he returns as a mob boss. CHA trimmed 5 kg and grew a moustache, worked on his accent, and redid his outfit to become YANG Chul-gon, the low-life, wannabe sophisticated mob boss.

Not only does he show the funny and light side of YANG Chul-gon, but he also successfully portrays the bi-standard of cold and warm side of his character. He's cold enough to run the train through the stops to achieve his goal, but he also calls his wife to say good-bye.

CAST & CHARACTERS

HUR Bon-gu / KIM Seung-woo

≫Age : Old Enough

≫Occupation : Fifth Year Bum

≫Motto : Chill! (Naturally has no worries)

≫Motive for Boarding : Just the Lighter! (The very first motivation!)

≫Goal : Get back the damn lighter, the last remaining possession.

≫Obstacles: The mob and a train that's about to be capsized.

KIM Seung-woo, whose movie career dates back to 1990 with <The General's Son>(Cheewhason's LIM Kwon-tek) is a twelfth year veteran with recent appearances in <Yesterday>. KIM Seung-woo says HUR Bongu is perfect for him. He wanted to throw off his current image of being well put, clean, and nice. So, he decided to go all out this time

Major Features

<Man with Flowers>(97) / <Ghost Mamma>(97) / <Scent of a Man>(98) / <The Opening>(99) / <The Secret>(2000) / <Yesterday>(2002) / <Break Out>(2002)

YANG Chul-gon / CHA Seung-won

≫Age : Haven't a clue

≫Occupation : Mob boss

≫Motto : Live Cool! (You only live once! Gotta live cool)

≫Motive for Boarding : Just for the money! (Campaign Aid he failed to get back from a congressman)

≫Goal : Rebuilding the mob.

≫Obstacles : Strange dude that insists on getting his lighter back.

Appearing as a gym teacher in <Kick the Moon>, he returned to the screen for the first time in a year after having read the scenario.

Major Features

<If the Sun Rises in the West>(98) / <Find De Ciecle>(99) / <Ghost in Love>(2000) / <Black Honeymoon>(2000) / <Libera Me>(2000) / <Kick the Moon>(2001) / <Break Out>(2002)

DIRECTOR

Director JANG Hang-jun

"<Break Out> is today's fable for grownups!"

Through <The Adventure of Mrs. Park> scenario, director JANG Hang-jun successfully portrayed today's housewives' mentality through tango, cha cha cha dance, etc. He debuted at the age of 27, taking on scenario work whenever he could. After 3 years into his career, he managed to become a producer. He has a warm perspective on the world as well as an in-depth insight into different subjects. Directors such as JANG Jin and HAN Ji-seung whose work is mostly concentrated in humane comedies, showed huge desire to work with JANG Hang-jun.

Major Features 96 <The Adventure of Mrs. Park> Scenario, 99 <The Great Chef> Scenario , SBS Broadcast Writer

CREDIT

- In association with mvp / Muhan Investment / I Pictures

- Production support Hana Bank

- Executive Producer Baek Nam-soo

- Producer LEE Joon-taek

- Co-Producer LEE Kwan-soo

- Scenario PARK Jung-woo

- Director JANG Hang-jun

- Cinematograph KIM Sung-bok

-Lighting SHIN Hak-sung

-Dubbing KIM Won-yong

- Editing KOH Im-pyo

- Music YOON Jong-shin

- Assist LEE Kun-ho, KIM Yong-wook

- Music Recording RYU Jae-kyung

- Art KIM Min-oh

- Art Director JANG Yae-jin

ⓒ 2002 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Guest kdramafanusa

Kick the Moon

- A KIM Sang-jin Film

- Produced Fun & Happiness Film

- June 23, 2001

- Action Comedy, 119min, 2.35:1, Dolby Digital, Color

SYNOPSIS

Two old classmates reunite in a fierce battle to win one girl's heart.

Ten years ago, a legendary fighter named Choi Gi-dong and a timid straight-A student named Park Young-joon leave for a high school field trip to Gyeongju city. But during their journey, fate befalls on them as they experience an unforgettable incident that would change the course of their lives.

One night during a school gala, Gi-dong leads his entire school to a huge brawl against a local gang while Young-joon chickens out and stays behind at the party by himself. The streets turn out to be a battlefield with blood gushing, heads bashing and bones breaking, but the gruesome fight nonetheless becomes history in the making. Gi-dong becomes admired for his brevity, while Young-joon gets ostracized for his fear.

Ten years later, Gi-dong and Young-joon coincidently meet each other at a club in Gyeongju. Surprisingly, Young-joon turns out to be a big time gangster while Gi-dong becomes a daunting phys ed teacher who transferred to a high school in Gyeongju. They feel glad about their unexpected reunion, but the mood gets tense as they rekindle old yet not-so-fond memories.

Before they bid farewell, both Gi-dong and Young-joon suddenly find a pretty damsel named Ju-ran in distress. In an instant, they fall headlong in love with her as Ju-ran's gleeful smile sweeps them off their feet.

Gi-dong makes his claim on Ju-ran, but Young-joon calls it a fair game. Young-joon planned to make his trip to Gyeongju a short visit, but he extends his stay to win Ju-ran's heart and to get back at Gi-dong for old time's sake. Gi-dong gets infuriated over Young-joon's decision since he won't listen to him like the good old days. Even though fighting over Ju-ran becomes a grueling test to their friendship, the situation gets worse when they practically get the whole city involved. It's a fight to the finish to win one girl's heart, even if it takes a few bones to break.

PRODUCTION NOTE

"Kick the Moon" is a film like no other!

Unique subject matter A field trip to Gyeongju city is a memory that everybody in Korea shares in his or her school days. "Kick the Moon" offers viewers a chance to visit a nostalgic yet historical place where two old school friends once shared an unforgettable experience. Through their eyes, people can see why Gyeongju is part of a growing-up process for every Korean. Considering that Gyeongju is popularly known for its historical artifacts and rich culture, the film was shot entirely on Super 35mm to capture as much of Gyeongju's scenery so viewers can wholesomely share the experience.

Cartoon-like characters Unique cartoon-like characters and temperamental relationships are the backbone of "Kick the Moon." A big-time gangster who can't escape from the temper of a straight-A geek, a gangster-like teacher who still has the temper of a high school bully, and a woman who owns a noodles restaurant with a temper for a plain normal day and a fearsome one when she gets pissed off.

Having these cartoon-like characters in a well-thought out plot, the film generates a comic and crowd-pleasing environment. It's a film where the actors have fun making and the audience has fun watching.

Comedy plus Action "Kick the Moon" not only comprises hilarious comedy, but there's also a lot of fist-fighting action. Two friends, Gi-dong and Young-joon, always get themselves in trouble no matter where they go. Back in high school, Gi-dong gets the whole student body involved in a showdown with another school in Gyeongju. Over two hundred extras clash on the streets, shattering windows, denting cars and throwing each other across the pavement.

The tables turn when Young-joon gets the whole city of Gyeongju involved in a mob scene at the end of the film. Close to 200 extras, including gangsters, policemen, civilians and students, punch, kick, body slam and bash heads until no one's left standing.

CAST & CHARACTERS

1. Big-Time Gangster – PARK Young-joon

Park Young-joon used to be a nerd, but now he’s a ruthless gangster. In high school, he was made fun of, ostracized and disliked, but as a grown-up he’s now a feared, charismatic and respected gangster. And no matter where he goes, a throng of gangsters always protects him. Young-joon and his old classmate, Choi Gi-dong, go way back, but when they meet again 10 years later, things aren’t quite the same as the old days.

2. Gangster-Like Teacher – CHOI Gi-dong

Unlike Young-joon, Choi Gi-dong still carries around bad habits from his younger years. He’s a ruthless bully-turned-teacher who harasses his students all the time, and thinks he’s the boss of his school. When he meets Young-joon in an unexpected reunion, things are still tense between them. While Young-joon tries to win Ju-ran’s heart with his charisma, Gi-dong plays the macho man role to steal her away from him.

3. Superwoman – MIN Ju-ran

She works hard to support her younger brother, Ju-sup, by running a small noodles shop. Her whole world revolves around taking care of Ju-sup even if she has to bash some heads to protect him. She’s a heartfelt romantic, but she plays hard to get, making it even tougher for Gi-dong and Young-joon. She may play the pretty damsel in distress, but Gi-dong and Young-joon definitely have a lot of work cut out for them.

DIRECTOR

Kim Sang-jin

If the director is cheerful, the set is pleasant. And most of all, the movie itself becomes fun. Considering director Kim Sang-jin's style, he never persisted on making comedies only, but nonetheless he has the ability to bring out his strong points in this genre. Director Kim tries to have fun on the set while incorporating his sharp intuitions. Therefore, his staff has a fun time during production, even calling it a playground sometimes.

[Filmography]

1995 Millions in My Account

1996 Hoodlum Lessons

1998 Two Cops 3

1999 Attack the Gas Station!

2001 Kick the Moon

CREDIT

- Producer KIM Mi-hee

- Director Kim Sang-jin

- Screenplay PARK Jung-woo

- Cinematographer CHUNG Kwang-suk

- Lighting SHIN Hak-sung

- Music SOHN Moo-hyun

- Art Director CHO Sung-won

- Synchronous Recording KANG Shin-kyu

- Editor KO Im-pyo

ⓒ 2001 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved

Uhh :sweatingbullets: .. don't know how to send messages to you (or if you had stopped by at Thirst) but just wanted to say that I really appreciate the cool Cannes highlight. Would really like to have you post the article and list at the News thread but not sure how you will feel about it.

So, the update have been posted at the News thread, full credits & gratitude to kdramafanusa.

Merci!

Guest kdramafanusa

Box Office Performance

FILM / RELEASE DATE / TICKETS SOLD

Eye For An Eye 눈에는 눈 이에는 이 / 2008-07-30 /

My Son 아들 / 2007-05-01 /

Small Town Rivals 이장과 군수 / 2007-03-29 /

South Of The Border 국경의 남쪽 / 2006-05-04 /

The Big Scene (aka Murder, Take One) 박수칠 때 떠나라 / 2005-08-11 /

Blood Rain 혈의 누 / 2005-05-04 /

Ghost House 귀신이 산다 / 2004-09-17 /

My Teacher, Mr Kim 선생 김봉두 / 2003-03-28 /

Jail Breakers 광복절특사 / 2002-11-22 /

Break Out 라이터를 켜라 / 2002-07-12 /

Kick The Moon 신라의 달밤 / 2001-06-23 /

Libera Me 리베라 메 / 2000-11-11 /

Guest kdramafanusa

Kick the Moon Movie Review

[KILLER FILM]

Kick the Moon review

January 30, 2009 by The Olivier Brothers

kickthemoonez9209x300.jpg

The year is 1982: Gangsan high school is celebrating the end of a class trip for this year. Youn-Joon, the class nerd, is rejected by everyone while Gi-Dong, the gang leader of the school, is celebrating with his graduating class. But, because of an unexpected event, the night will changed both of their lives forever. Fast forward 19 years, Young-Joon is now a gangster and Gi-Dong has become a strict high school teacher.

Thoughts on the film

Ryan

Kick the Moon comes to us from Attack the Gas Station director Kim Sang-Jin, and is a worthy follow up. There is nothing particularly special about Kick the Moon’s plot, which is about two guys fighting over a woman. What makes Kick the Moon work is the unexpected turns it takes on it’s way to a conclusion. Lee Sung-Jae, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors working today, plays Park Young-Jun. Back in his school days, Park Young-Jun was the smart kid that no one wanted to be friends with. Now all grown up, he has become a gangster. Lee Sung-Jae plays his role with a pitch perfect amount of charm and cool. He makes you feel that his character needs no words. He could just look at you and you’d know your richard simmons is about to be kicked. With Kick the Moon, Lee Sung-Jae does get to show that he has the richard simmons kicking skills necessary in the film’s fight scenes. As great as Lee Sung-Jae is in his role, it is Cha Seung-Won who steals the show. Cha Seung-Won plays the guy who was a bad richard simmons back in his school days, but is now a school teacher. He brings some great humor to his character, he never has one joke or scene that fails. His character is just so easily likable that you want him to win. Kim Hye-Su also gives a fine performance as the girl the two male leads are fighting over. One of my few complaints with Kick the Moon is that it does have a few too many secondary characters. Also, at 118 minutes it does run a bit long for a comedy. Those two complaints aside the film does work very well. Kick the Moon is solid entertainment.

Mark

This very solid comedy, from the director of Attack The Gas Station, is a very funny and rewarding experience. Kim Sang-Jin gives us a great comedy armed with a great amount of action and wit. He directs every scene with a comedic overtone that will have you laughing from the get go. While, Kick The Moon may not receive the classic status of Attack The Gas Station, it still is a very entertaining way to spend two hours. Containing a very simple story, Kick The Moon’s strong point and weakness are all the great characters. Although, featuring such a simple plot, the viewer might have a tough time catching up with so many of the different characters available in the film. However, besides that one gripe, I advise you to take two Advil before the film because you might get a headache from laughing so hard. Because, this film will definitely have you by your funny bone. The two leads get into so many mind boggling situations together, that you can’t help but laugh at all the chain of events. The comedy is not the only strong point to brag about with Kick The Moon, it also contains some very well choreographed fight sequences. Both Cha Seung-Won and Lee Sung-Jae get to strut their stuff in the action category, bringing a great amount of strength and stamina to the movie’s fight scenes. Acting wise Seung-Won chews up the scenery with his great performance as Gi-Dong. I always found myself chuckling and grinning with his very over the top acting. Also, Sung-Jae as Young-Joon is a perfect pairing along with Seung-Won, as he is equally able to hold his own in the movie. Giving Young-Joon a reasonable amount of edge, Sung-Jae carries the character with a chip on his shoulder. But, the most rewarding aspect of the film is that the audience can identify with each of the two leads. As they have some very reminiscent everyday qualities. Women can also find something appealing with the film, as it contains a very strong female lead. With Kick The Moon, South Korea proves once again that they are masters at the comedy genre. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this genuinely funny comedy that will have you laughing from start to finish.

Ryan

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Mark

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

~~~~~

[KFCC]

Kick The Moon

Year: 2001

Genre: Comedy / Drama

Format: DVD

Running Time: 1H58

Distributor: 20th Century Fox Korea

Date reviewed: 11/15/2001

Producer: x

Director: Kim Sang-Jin

Cast: Cha Seung-Won, Lee Seong-Jae, Kim Hye-Su, Jong-su Lee, Hey-Soo Kim

Story: The year is 1982; Gangsan high school is celebrating the end of a class trip for this year. Young-Joon, a smart geek kid, is rejected by everyone while Gi-Dong, the gang leader of the school, is celebrating with everyone. But because of an unexpected event, the night became the start of a complete change in their respective lives. Now 2001, the present, Young-Joon the smart kid is now the main consultant of the Gil-Nam gang, one of the biggest Jopok gangs in Korea (equivalent of the Triads for HK and Yakuza for Japan). While Gi-Dong the high school gang leader has become a strict high school teacher, he is still living in Gyeongju, their hometown.

But Young-Joon now have to return to Gyeongju, send by his boss, to take over a small bar owned by Chun-Soo, a completely mad owner who is not interested at all by the offer of the Gil-Nam gang. One night, Young-Joon and Gi-Dong paths cross again. Taking advantage of this special encounter, they will take the time to talk to each other and eventually become very good friends. But their destiny will strike again and one night they will meet Kim, beautiful spirited women, owner of a small local restaurant. From that night, they will forget their friendship and declare war to each other and the winner will take Kim as the prize. But both men will also have to deal and overcome their personal problems while fighting for the women of their dreams.

Review: Comedy is to Korea as kung Fu is to Hong Kong and Psychological Horror to Japan. Who can deny the fact that Korean comedies are the best Asian comedies of all? I mean, in general of course. Maybe the sole reason is because their humor is very international and can be appreciated by almost everyone. Most Korean comedies that I have seen have become well directed and perfectly executed. After seeing Attack The Gas Station a few years ago and considering one of the best Korean comedies ever, I waited impatiently for the next movie directed by Kim Sang-Jin. We can easily compare Kick the Moon to Attack The Gas station, but not because they share the same director and a lot the same cast, but because the concept is exactly the same. You take a very simple story, but because of the chain of evens, the story becomes more and more chaotic for the characters to a point that you just can't stop laughing at the situation the characters have gotten into. But while Attack the Gas station centers around one night and in one place, Kick The moon is spread during multiple weeks and uses a whole city to tell his story.

It's true that the premise of the story is not that original, but how many movies have been made around the concept of two guys fighting for a woman? Probably a hundred times. But what is so special about this one is how the completely unexpected chain of evens will affect, evolve and connect the characters in the story. You will see how a simple decision can change the destiny of the others. I never had the feeling that the production rushed the story and that's a good thing. Because in this type of movie, I usually found that too often they overwhelm you with too many thing happening at the same time and too fast and the connection are sometimes not clear enough. The story is very well structured and easy to follow, but I cannot hide the fact that a second viewing will make the movie more clarified.

The main problem with Kick the Moon is probably with the characters. Not because the acting was not good or the characters uninteresting, but because there are many important characters in the film that you have to follow. It's true that the story focuses more on the two friends and the girl they fight for, but there are also a lot of secondary characters that you cannot just ignore or just consider as background because if you do, then you will probably be completely lost in the story. How can I not remember the old policeman and his wallet, the traitor who prefers to be with the strongest boss or even the geek who likes to spy on the other students? It is these characters that will influence the story and will share the evolution of the three main characters. It was very funny to watch those completely unexpected situations and that evolves and changes to something that they were not aware of at first.

As for the three main casts, I really think that they were all excellent. At first, I was thinking that I would probably end up liking more Lee Sung-Jae, who played the baseball guy in Attack the Gas Station, but during the course of the movie I felt more sympathy for Cha Seung-Won, the high school teacher. But I think that it's only a matter of personal taste and I think that everyone could identify themselves to one of the three main casts.

Korean humor is probably the most accessible Asian humor out there, probably to the fact that Korean humor can be slightly compared to North American humor, unlike Hong Kong or Japanese humor that I found very typical to these countries. I'm not saying that I don't like the subtle humor of the Japanese and the slapstick style of Hong Kong, it's just that I think that Korean humor is more situational and you don't need to know the Korean culture that much to really appreciate their humor. Their humor is very physical and situational while always staying on a realistic level. If you never saw a Korean movie, I suggest a comedy. Like I said, Koreans are the best comedy makers in the international movie industry and Kick the moon is again a fine example at that. But even if there's a lot of unexpected and very funny moment in the movie, there is also a love story and this is were the movie might lose some people. Like in all love movies, you have these dramatic scenes where the characters try to tell their feelings to the ones they love, but still some of these situations contain some humor or happen in a funny way, but I know that some people might not like it. I would not say that this is a chick only movie, not at all, but there are some elements in the movie that will probably appeal more to a female audience. But don't make this an excuse for not seeing this movie because you'll be missing out.

I haven't seen as many Korean movies as I have seen Hong Kong or Japanese movies, but I'm happy so to see that with each movie, the Koreans really take care of their production values and it is apparent in their movies. If you are not convinced that Korean movies have their place to be to side to side with Japanese and Hong Kong movies, then I really think you are missing something. As for Kick the Moon, I'm really glad to have seen the movie, even if I would say that I found the charm of Attack The Gas Station to be missing, I really liked it. If you didn't liked Attack the gas station, depending the reasons why you didn't like the movie, then maybe this movie will appeal more to you. But the fact remain that Koreans have made the finest comedies I have ever seen so far and Kick the Moon is one of them.

DVD [ NTSC, Region 3 ] :

Good news: the DVD is labeled as region 3 but surprisingly (were talking about FOX here), the DVD is free region coded!! The image, widescreen anamorphic, is excellent, except for a few small scratches from time-to-time, but barely noticeable. You also have a very good original Dolby Digital 5.1 with very good English subtitle. For the extras you have, chapter selection, a commentary audio (no sub), deleted scenes, Making Of (no sub), Interviews, Music Video, teaser and trailer for the movie and a cast and crew info section. The DVD comes in a very cool packaging in a box, a la Bichunmoo (Korean version). The DVD is excellent and is without a doubt a DVD to buy if you want to experience the movie.

Reviewed by Janick Neveu

~~~~~

Movie Review by Anthony Leong © Copyright 2002

"Kick the Moon (Shinlaui dalbam)", one of the many gangster comedies to grace South Korean movie screens in the fall of 2001, was director Kim Sang-jin's long-awaited follow-up to his 1999 smash hit "Attack the Gas Station! (Juyuso sebgyuksageun)". A screwball comedy about a bizarre love triangle that develops between a smooth gangster, a strict schoolteacher, and a comely noodle shop owner, "Kick the Moon" doesn't achieve the 'classic' status of Kim's previous effort. Nevertheless, this rambunctious production it still is worth a gander, particularly for the fun performances of its three leads.

kickthemoon4.jpg

The story begins in the early Eighties with a rumble between two rival schools in the city of Gyeongju. Caught in the midst of the youth violence are Ki-woong, a popular student whose exploits that night would become the stuff of legends in the years to come, and the geeky Young-jun, who is probably the least popular kid at school. Fast-forward two decades later and both of these kids have grown into very different young men. Ki-woong (Cha Seung-won of "Libera Me") has become a dedicated teacher at his former alma mater, while Young-jun (Lee Seong-jae of "Attack the Gas Station!") has become a 'big boss' in the Korean mafia.

kickthemoon2.jpg

However, their paths cross once again when Young-jun is sent to Gyeongju to muscle out a rival gang, and though their reunion is amicable at first, a series of complications lead them to declare war on each other. First, they meet the lovely Min Ju-ran (Kim Hye-su, who appeared alongside Mira Sorvino and Takeshi Kaneshiro in "Too Tired to Die"), who owns a small noodle shop, and both men end up being smitten. Second, Ki-woong sees Young-jun as a corrupting influence on his students, particularly Ju-ran's younger brother Ju-seob (Lee Jong-su), who are becoming increasingly enamoured with the gangster lifestyle and beg to become part of Young-jun's gang. Meanwhile, Young-jun's gangland rival is quietly plotting his revenge, placing all of the above in jeopardy. And like "Attack the Gas Station!", all of these small plot points culminate into a mammoth conflagration of gangsters, students, and police.

The most interesting aspects of "Kick the Moon" are its characters. In contrast to "Attack the Gas Station!", which was a little thin on characterization (probably because there were so many of them), "Kick the Moon" maintains a pretty good focus on its main characters.

kickthemoon5.jpg

Lee is suave as a gangster who, despite his underworld ties, uses his status for good, such as how he convinces Ju-seob and his school chums to become top-ten students with the implied promise of recruitment if they get good grades-- something that Ki-woong has tried and failed to do many times before. And speaking of Ki-woong, Cha is fun to watch as a hardworking (not to mention pugilistic) teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that his students stay out of trouble. Rounding out the love triangle is Kim, whose Ju-ran character seems to have taken a few cues from "My Sassy Girl". When Ju-ran first appears, she is demure and humbly apologetic as she begs the police not to arrest her brother. But as soon as she steps outside, Ju-ran exacts punishment on Ju-seob that is even more brutal than what the police are willing to do. Similarly, another great scene has an intoxicated Ju-ran screaming at the top of her lungs that Ki-woong and Young-jun make peace and holds hands as they walk down a crowded thoroughfare. Aside from these three leads, "Kick the Moon" has a number of other interesting supporting characters and the absurd situations they find themselves in, such as an aging detective who has a habit of throwing his wallet and badge to announce his arrival, or Young-jun's gangland rival who must deal with being called back for mandatory military training.

"Kick the Moon" ended up being the third highest-grossing homegrown production in 2001, trailing just behind "Friend" and "My Sassy Girl". And though it isn't quite the home run that "Attack the Gas Station!" was, as it occasionally gets bogged down by some slow pacing and meandering storytelling, it still possesses enough charm, absurd wit, and subversive humor to satiate fans of Kim Sang-jin's 1999 comedy. And as an added bonus for Korean cinema aficionados outside of Asia, even though it is stated that the DVD release is Region 3 only, it is actually a region-free disc.

Guest kdramafanusa

Parodies posted by fans at official City Hall hp. All credit to creators/posters of these art works.

movie Mr & Mrs Smith (Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie)

chfa1.jpg

movie Angels & Demons (Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Ayelet Zurer)

chfa3.jpg

movie My Girlfriend Is An Agent

chfa18.jpg

movie I Am Legend (Will Smith)

chfa10.jpg

movie Superman Returns (Brandon Routh)

chfasuperman.jpg

movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Hugh Jackman)

chfa17.jpg

chfa16.jpg

chfa.gif