Foxy Festival (2010)

The Quiz Show Scandal (2010)

Thirst (2009)

The Devil's Game (2007)

A Day with My Son (2007, cameo)

No Mercy for the Rude (2006)

The Big Scene (2005)

Welcome to Dongmak Valley (2005)

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005, cameo)

My Brother (2004)

Hair (2004)

A Man Who Went to Mars (2003)

Save the Green Planet (2003)

Surprise Party (2002)

No Comment (2002)

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)

Guns & Talks (2001)

Joint Security Area (2000)

The Foul King (2000, cameo)

Coming Out (2000)

The Spy (1999)

The Happenings (1998

YES!

FINALLY A THREAD ON HIM!

Thank you. :)

I'm A HUGEEEEEEEEEEE FAN OF him. I think he's a very versatile actor and not to mention striking charisma and a beautifully structured face.

It's amazing how he can go from a dorky country bumpkin from A Letter to Mars to a cold, war weary stoic soldier in Dongmakgol.

HaGyunah~

realised that 4 out of 5 movies i watched this week starred this man. and realise that he never gets old.. he's been looking the same since forever.. haha.

Shin Ha-kyun 신하균

Shin Ha-kyun Shin Ha-kyun (b. May 30, 1974) first trained as a stage actor at the Seoul National University of Arts before going on to act in a large number of plays by Jang Jin. When in 1998 Jang Jin directed his first movie, Shin Ha-kyun was cast and he has since appeared in almost all of Jang's feature films. Impressed by his acting abilities, comedy director Kim Jee-woon has also cast him in minor roles in The Foul King and his 30-min internet film Coming Out.

Shin first became a superstar with his role as a young North Korean soldier in Park Chan-wook's smash hit JSA in late 2000. At that time he developed a large fan following which, together that of co-star Won Bin, helped make his next film Guns & Talks a strong commercial hit.

In the next couple years Shin would take on two strong roles that would come to define his career. In Park Chan-wook's acclaimed Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, he played a deaf man with bright green dyed hair who is driven by desperation to kidnap a young girl. Then in Jang Jun-hwan's Save the Green Planet in 2003, he played a mentally unbalanced man who believes that aliens are plotting to invade the earth. Together, these two intense and harrowing performances by Shin were an impressive display of his acting talent.

After appearing in the rural melodrama A Letter From Mars with actress Kim Hee-sun in 2004, Shin returned in Welcome to Dongmakgol, a drama set during the Korean War in a small mountainous village. His next work for 2006 sees him play a rather eccentric hitman.

Complete filmography:

No Mercy For the Rude (2006)

Murder, Take One (2005)

Welcome to Dongmakgol (2005)

My Brother (2004)

A Letter From Mars (2003)

Save the Green Planet! (2003)

Surprise Party (2002)

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)

Guns & Talks (2001)

Joint Security Area (2000)

Coming Out (2000, short film)

The Foul King (2000)

The Spy (1999)

The Happenings (1998)

http://www.koreanfilm.org/actors2.html

more info on him can be also found in : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Ha-kyun

Wow..yeah finally you started his thread..THANKS!..

Will post pics and articles of him.. :)

From UCLA International Institute..

If those dreamy eyes don't scream leading man, I don't know what will. Courtesy of www.asiandb.com/data/people/org/232.jpg

Summer of Shin Ha-gyun

With three major movies out in Korea and more to follow in the states, will this finally be Shin Ha-gyun's breakthrough moment?

Jennifer Flinn

Some actors can’t get no respect, but for Shin Ha-gyun it’s more a case of not getting the lead. While heartthrobs like Won Bin, Jang Dong-gun, Bae Yong-jun, and Lee Byeong-hyeon surf the Korean wave to domestic and international stardom and Song Kang-ho and Choi Min-shik blast their way into celebrity status with blistering performances in high-profile films, Shin has been quietly building up a solid profile as one of the most interesting but overlooked actors in Korea today. What’s equally amazing is how often he’s shared the screen in major roles with high-profile stars and still managed to go mostly unnoticed.

In Korea, Shin is a respected actor, and has name recognition, but not as a leading man. He’s made a few stabs at it, first in Surprise Party (Seopeuraijeu), and again in Letters from Mars (Hanseongeuro gan sanai), neither of which became big hits. Up against Won Bin in My Brother (Uri hyeong), Shin’s talent helped him blend into the mood of the flawed film while Won Bin stole the heart of his cinematic crush and most of the women in the audience. While Shin is considered attractive (and like many actors has had a stint as a model, most notably for the Norton brand of clothing stores), he isn’t considered handsome on the same level as many of his similarly aged peers. He’s also younger than many of the actors chosen for their gravitas and acting chops. Trapped in the middle, the mainstream consumption of fluff romances and silly comedies doesn’t include him. He’s also been handicapped by choosing mostly stage and screen in ensemble pieces, when the majority of fame and money flows to those who do their turn on TV. Lee Young-ae may have had a long and esteemed career before the hit show Jewel in the Palace (Daejanggeum) but it was the stint in TV drama that made hers the face launching a thousand products. Shin has very few TV shows to his credit -- Good Guys (Joeun saram) being one of the few -- but frequent appearances on stage and a good body of screen work.

He also shows a remarkable quirkiness in the roles and movies he chooses. He’s played a lunatic beekeeper who believes the world is being invaded by aliens from Andromeda, a deaf-mute kidnapper, a bullied high-school student who takes self-defense lessons from a North Korean spy, and an assassin with a taste for bombs and pregnant women. He takes on challenging and edgy roles and films, but leaves the public and others confused about what to think of him. Even CJ Entertainment, the production and distribution company that handles many of Shin’s films, didn’t quite know what to make of him. The now-notorious “Celebrity X-file” (www.asiaarts.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=20202) may be filled with salacious gossip, but Shin’s (apart from gossip over his break-up with similarly talented-yet-difficult-to-cast Bae Doo-na) file was mostly confusion over how to cast and market him.

The good news is that some of that might be changing. Shin was involved in three major films released in Korea this summer and some of his most famous and interesting work is being introduced in America. The third and final chapter of Park Chan-wook's notorious “Revenge” trilogy has finally been released. Although Korean critical and audience responses have been mixed to Sympathy for Lady Vengance (Jinjeolhan geumjasshi) and Shin only makes a cameo appearance, Park’s trilogy is big news nonetheless. While he didn’t appear in the second film, Oldboy, this latest film may draw new attention to his work in the first installment, Sympathy for Mr. Vengance (Boksuneun naui got), which is just now being released in the US.

The film has its admirers and detractors regarding the plot, and American critics have been particularly put off by the grimness and violence in the trilogy, but regardless of the content Shin pulled off a nuanced and touching performance as a kidnapper for whom nothing goes right, outshining even the venerable Song Kang-ho despite the fact that his character doesn’t have a single spoken line. Another film in which he stars with Song Kang-ho is already considered one of the most important films of the Korean Wave released in the states: Joint Security Area (Gongdong gyeonbi guyeok JSA), where his portrayal (and Pyeongyang accent) of a North Korean border guard was roundly praised as being the very heart of the film. The most interesting and promising release in the states is Save the Green Planet! (Jigyureul jigyoeora!) which was critically lauded but ignored by domestic audiences. However, the bizarre plot and genre blending and distortion that hurt it in Korean release have made it an underground hit in America where there is a more established tradition of cult films. Still, his ability as an actor is being ignored by American critical response. Since performances in foreign languages are harder to evaluate, the question of acting skill is largely evaded by most critics, who will tell you how much or little they enjoyed the movie, but generally not how a non-English speaking actor contributed, and Shin’s performance in these films, however brilliant, plays second fiddle to the subject of the films in the reviews.

Shin plays a much more prominent role in two other hit films of the summer. He plays a murder suspect being watched not just by his police interrogator but also by the media in The Big Scene (Baksuchilddae ddeaonara). But his big breakout will more likely come from the sleeper hit Welcome to Dongmakgol. Both films are the work of Jang Jin, one of the most versatile and creative minds at work in Korean arts today. Jang is a prominent playwright, screenwriter, producer, and director for both stage and film. The renaissance man of Korean performing arts, he has been collaborating with Shin for years, giving him some of his first work in Jang’s stage plays. They also worked together for one of Shin’s biggest commercial hits, Guns and Talks (Killeodeuli suda).

Dongmakgol is the screen adaptation of Jang’s play about North and South Korean soldiers who stumble upon a remote mountain village at the height of the Korean War. The village is already playing host to a downed American pilot, and tensions erupt among the enemies only to be soothed by life in the Brigadoon-esque village and the antics of a charming but unbalanced girl. A fantasy-tinged comedy about the Korean War might seem like a peculiar idea, but the stellar ensemble cast pulls it off. Particularly noteworthy is that the score is by Joe Hisaishi, in his first contribution to a Korean film. One of the biggest names in film scores, he’s most famous for his work on Miyazaki Hayao’s animated films like Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime). As for Shin, he plays his role as a suicidal South Korean soldier with both acidity and sympathy, helping to keep the movie from tipping too far toward sentimentality. The film was expected to do respectable business in theaters, but has turned into a record-setting blockbuster that has sold more than five million tickets and securing a berth as Korea’s entry for the Academy Awards. The big question now is will the combination of Academy Awards, foreign exposure, and critical praise be enough to catapult Shin to stardom?

Shin Ha-gyun (Ha-kyun) Filmography

The Big Scene . . .2005

Welcome to Dongmakgol . . .2005

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance . . .2005

My Brother . . .2004

Letters from Mars . . .2003

Save the Green Planet! . . .2003

Surprise Party . . .2002

No Comment . . .2002

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance . . .2002

Guns and Talks . . .2001

Coming Out . . .2001

Joint Security Area . . .2000

The Spy . . .1999

Amazing Men . . .1998

Jang Jin Filmography

The Big Scene . . .2005

Someone Special . . .2004

No Comment . . .2002

Guns and Talks . . .2001

Ditto . . .2000

The Spy . . .1999

Amazing Men . . .1998

A Hot Roof . . .1996

Joe Hisaishi Filmography

A Chinese Tall Story . . . 2005

Howl’s Moving Castle . . .2004

Gris . . .2003

When the Last Sword is Drawn . . .2003

Dolls . . .2002

Spirited Away . . .2001

Kikujiro . . .1999

Fireworks . . .1997

Princess Mononoke . . .1997

Parasite Eve . . .1997

A Mature Woman . . .1994

Porco Rosso . . .1992

Kiki’s Delivery Service . . .1989

My Neighbor Totoro . . .1988

Maison Ikkoku . . .1986

Laputa: Castle in the Sky . . .1986

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind . . .1984

I find he is one amazing actor!!.. :rolleyes:

I find he is one amazing actor!!.. :rolleyes:

yup Inez, he's a great actor but terribly overlooked and underrated!! he deserves to be a star!! hope this thread will grow and more ppl will be introduced to this talented thespian!

Yes sqlj..i hope melusine ..Rubie will come in and post too! ;) . Not many pics of Shin Ha Kyun..tho' i think he has such sad sad eyes..and his movies are similar too..

From 'Save The Green Planet'..weird..crazy but awesome performing Shin..

greenplanet01.jpg

greenplanedt02.jpg

Scene from 'Welcome To Dongmakgol'..

shinhk01.jpg

Some random pics..

shinhk05.jpg

maybe from 'The Big Scene'?..

shinhk02.jpg

shinhk03.jpg

shinhk04.jpg

Yes sqlj..i hope melusine ..Rubie will come in and post too! ;) . Not many pics of Shin Ha Kyun..tho' i think he has such sad sad eyes..and his movies are similar too..

Yup yup.. heard you calling sistah! :P

Hi sqlj! *waves!* Thanks for starting the thread for Shin Ha Kyun! :D

I come with Fantom goodies, perhaps you can update the Fantom Ent. link at the first post. :blush:

E060429154157.jpg

Shin Ha Kyun with Lee Byung Hun, Lee Jung Jae, Jung Jae Young are buddies and they belong to the same management agency.

Here's his page at Fantom Entertainment.

You can find lots of pics in the gallery section. :)

http://www.fantoment.com/ShinHaKyun

Related soompi thread:

Joint Security Area

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1414

Thanks for the link Rubie Lee!!.. :)

Wow..Fantom Ent. sure has lots of awesome actors!!

I wish i could read Korean tho'..

One more cool pic..from Fantom Ent..

shinhk07.jpg

Guest eliza bennet

I like this actor very much too!

first saw him in JSA and thought his performance was brilliant. Then I saw him in various films and liked him even more (especially in Save the Green Planet). He is also very good in Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance. Suprise Party is a very very sweet romantic comedy and I don't understand why it didn't do good box office.

Welcome to Dongmakgol was like a fairy tale and I liked SHK's character very much in that one.

Even though he is a great actor, he does nothing to me as a man.

Notice how much weight he lost for Dongmakgol?

And notice how hot he looks in that picture with his hand across his face?

i love this man to bits.

Bae DooNa was one lucky chick.

Notice how much weight he lost for Dongmakgol?

And notice how hot he looks in that picture with his hand across his face?

i love this man to bits.

Bae DooNa was one lucky chick.

Hi simpliciti, who's Bae Doo Na?

Ex-gf ..co-star in 'Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance'..with Kim Rae Won in 'Plum Blossoms' coming soon she'll be in 'The Host'..awesome babe..!.

oh i see...i looked up her thread..she's quite attractive...not your usual sweetie pie..she has a unique look.

Yes sqlj..Bae DuNa isn't exactly the cutie sweetie babe but one cool actress and one tough little cookie! :)

Now i am curious about Shin HaKyun's movie 'No Mercy For The Rude'..hmm..

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Arirang and in 'Screen Flash', HaKyun new movie 'No Mercy For The Rude' was featured and i am excited for the co-star too..Kim Min Jun.. :rolleyes:

From Twitch..

nomercy.jpg

nomercyback.jpg

nomercyinsideright.jpg

Real cool movie (as always with him..) about a couple of killers..HaKyun plays a killer who only kills rude people and Kim Min Jun as an ex-ballet (yes!) dancer turned killer..how cool is that..!! :sweatingbullets:

Oh..real cool..cool movies are coming!!

He's a chameleon and truly one of the really underrated but very talented actors out there.

I agree with the koreanfilm's bio of him, ive seen so many of the movies that he has been in but never really wanted to know who the actor was. Thanks for making a thread for him.

Regarding his breakup with Bae Doo Na (yes that girl was one lucky chick) i think the split was amicable. Im a huge fan of hers as well and was surprised to learn they were together too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

phew, I was checking out the new Ryu Seung Bum thread and thinking, is there one on Soompi for Shin Ha Kyun! The forums are so filled with idol threads, I'm relieved to find threads on two of my favorite, sometimes overlooked, but amazingly talented Korean actors!

I happen to have a couple of pics in my photobucket I can add!

shinhagyun2.jpg

shinhagyun1.jpg

swiped off his official site! http://www.loveshin.co.kr/

BTW, that pic inez posted above, of SHK tied up & wearing the green shirt IS from "The Big Scene", one of the better movies out of Korea last year (IMHO).