Not a fan of K-pop?

Guest chindarella

Guest chindarella

Is there anyone here who is not a fan of K-pop? 
I'm not sure how weird this is on the weird scale, and I know this is a K-pop forum, but just curious because I actually don't even know what K-pop is. You can ask me anything about it and I will be clueless. I actually just made an account because of how active this forum was and I read something I felt like responding to. 

Anyway, I am not a fan of K-Pop either. K-Pop really started as a genre that has become a culture. K-Pop comes from what is similar to what many think of as boy bands anywhere else. A big difference is that girl groups were more acceptable and prominent. K-Pop is manufactured by large companies and lots of people eat it up. It kinda reminds me of professional wrestling. Few major companies produce it and they have almost complete control over it. Of course now that it's become a culture, these people want to extend it to pretty much anything and they want to swallow up independent acts and most forms of entertainment media.

Argh, the spam! So much spam from them! It wasn't like this for Deli Spice and Clazziquai Project years ago, but the bandwagon is unyielding now.

I was introduced to the genre mainly by SG Wannabe, Jo Sung Mo, and Brown Eyes back in the early 2k's, but nowadays, K-Pop is pretty distant to me. There's always an occasional song that I think is catchy, but it never really sticks.

I feel like the groups are churned out like they were made from a Chinese sweatshop and that the big companies are just throwing darts hoping to hit another Girl's Generation through numbers alone. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the idea of selling groups based on flash and looks alone since it's obvious there's an audience for it. I just don't feel like it's music anymore. Personally, a lot of K-Pop songs leave the impression that they're a 3 - 4 min advertisement that screams, "LOOK AT HOW PRETTY/HANDSOME WE ARE, BUY SOCKS WITH OUR FACES ON THEM." There's very little focus on the music and that's just unappealing to me.

I was a fan of kpop from around 2000-2004. I stopped listening after several of my favorite groups disbanded. I'm not really a fan anymore, but since the majority of my friends love the music, I still have an idea whats going on in the scene.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Castler

I was probably a fan of it for the first 6 months then the novelty of the whole thing wore off. I still listen to the stuff I downloaded previously and still listen to keep track of a few groups. But, to be honest, even when I was a fan of K-pop I avoided fandoms at all costs since they tended to be way too out there and obtrusive for my liking. (Mainly, the fact they they like to break the fourth wall and don't realise what needs to stay on the internet [e.g some of the shipping] and the hypocricty surrounding it.)
It was probably the fact that when I was into it it ended up being the only thing I listened to so it ultimately ruined it for myself. Then my interest in the things surrounding the music got ruined by the craziness. In all honestly, I won't be surprised if I stop listening it completely by the end of the month and then begin to listen to it again a few weeks later. Kpop isn't something that I could listen to for years upon years but something that I listen to every few weeks.

Guest collarbones

I went through a phase from around 2006-2009 when I majorly listened to k-pop. Then again, I was around my pre-teen years, which is the average demographic for Korean fans of k-pop anyway lol (middle school to high school-ish). Not much of a hater (though the whole product/slave-contract thing seems a bit off, but that was an issue then so I don't know how it is now), but it's just something I grew out of. Nowadays I just listen to anything I find pleasing ^ ^ 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha OP, thats the same reason i come back. I grew up on forums and i love them, but now with social media they seem to be dying out.
I dont come on here for the kpop news/updates/whatever. I've been on this forum since i was 13 and every once in awhile i gravitate back. 2011 was when i pretty much gave up on kpop, ever since then i've been listening to EDM more than anything.
I tried to make an effort to keep up a year later and i was overwhelmed. Back in my day, we only had 3 major girl groups and 3 major guy groups. Now its a richard simmons free for all and i'm just done with it. Maybe if HOT comes back for a reunion i might care but for right now, nope nope and nope.

• 3 months later...
Guest knockblock

Mka14 said: Haha OP, thats the same reason i come back. I grew up on forums and i love them, but now with social media they seem to be dying out.

Guest dalas0808

Actually first I'm not kpop fan.. Just love to watch Kvarietyshow.. But Girls Day achhkk I can't resist.. I tried not to go deep into it but can't help :D

Guest valarmorghulis

K-pop = Idols. That's how I always see it. When in fact it's not.. :)) I like a few of them, just a few, and mostly are not boy/girlband. Kind of obsessed with one of them (the one kpop artist that lured me to buy the physical album). I too first a k-variety show fan, k-pop came in second. :D

Guest Ryu Kazama

Exited the phase some time ago, same with JPop and almost anything music related. Sure, the odd SNSD is gonna be a bit of a guilty pleasure, but otherwise...meh. I'll maybe pay attention to Taeyang and Epik High. Very loosely follow, if you will.

Guest Telix

Well i'm not a fan of kpop, i dont know anything about it and I come here to learn something but the posts are really especializated and there are a lot of caos anyway, anyone knows how i can get into the chat? thanks

Archived