[Drama 2004] What Happened In Bali 발리에서 생긴 일

Guest sunshine4ever

Guest pandora460

@blueagave  Damo is  much like the genre of WHIB in terms of complicated characters. i am not particularly into period dramas so it is only now that i watched it given my bias towards HJW. i hope you will find time to watch it. i would like to very much know how u will dissect the drama. if u do, perhaps we will find each other again in another thread. :)in the meantime, WHIB remains as my must re-watch dramas of all time.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@pandora460, I see that you posted in the Damo thread and brought it to the front page. Those posters seem to be as passionate about Damo as we are about WHIB. I wish the original thread was still available. I've only read the first two pages, so I don't know if anyone was able to re-post some of the lost discussions.

After I watch Damo I will be sure to post to that thread. I would love to discuss it with you.

Guest pandora460

@blueagave, I hope you will find Damo equally riveting as WHIB.  Both dramas are on my top list of "my best-watched dramas ever". Damo is #1 in my HJW list of best performances and WHIB is #2, so far.

I've just finished marathon WHIB.. fiuuhh... regardless the ending, I like the drama... I like the acting, so intense... bring all the "non make sense" became "make sense" to watch.. hehhehhee... I like the chemistry between Jo In Sung and Han Ji Won here.. not so many scene together (even almost none romantic scene) but I can still the longing even the chemistry between them.. *or it might be just me :P* Someday I hope they working together as couple in drama or movie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest sunshine4ever

Hi guys, for those of you who know this drama and know Jo In Sung and still waiting for his new drama...he's finally back!

Please check out this thread:
http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/2007176/upcoming-drama-2013-that-winter-the-wind-blows-wind-blows-in-winter-%EA%B7%B8-%EA%B2%A8%EC%9A%B8-%EB%B0%94%EB%9E%8C%EC%9D%B4-temporary-title/p1

It's Insung's newest drama and it will be filmed in October. Hope to see all of you there.

• 3 months later...

WHIB is one of the best dramas ever, anywhere!!! I marathon watched this and all the main actors were rivetting, magnetic... JIS is so impressive in this drama, I'm a fan of his forever, but SJS, HJW were great too. The ensemble just brought this drama to life. I'm hoping this drama will forever live and be brought out and be shared by more people. The ending was not likable but it's the only ending that for me is acceptable because the main characters will always be tied together and could not escape what is in store for them.... I just rewatched it again and I still continue to be intrigued by such a dynamic drama... Hope more will watch and be a fan of it...

• 1 month later...

@reymel888 also watch this drama in 2013? I was feeling so outdated and I thought I am the only watching it in 2013 :D

anyway, I started to watch this drama because of Jo In Sung. I just love his acting in That Winter, The Wind Blows. So after some research I found out that the current drama is actually his comeback to small screen after 8 years. But seriously, he fits melodramas very well. I thought I will be disappointed with his acting in What Happened in Bali (considering the drama was in 2005 so I thought his acting might not matured enough yet) but tbt, I am surprised. He was so good in What Happened in Bali. The way he looked at the female lead seriously made every women's hearts flutter. I can't help but cry during the scene when he answered the phone call from HJW. he tried to keep his cool but at the same time he cannot fight back tears.

about the ending, I knew it beforehand but I keep on watching because Jo In Sung character was too good. His acting is just awesome. I wanna watch every scene between HJW and JIS so I marathon the drama within 2 days (I didn't sleep at all) haha.. B-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pandora460

@cassie6002..I believe this drama would come down as one of JIS's best. Good for you that you searched for his works after finding him awesome in TWTWB.  He also did a good movie entitled Frozen Flower; you may want to check it out.

@pandora460 hi there :)>-

IMO, WHIB is a great drama. the ending may be a little bit off, but I can't resist watching it since the characters were carried out so well by top actors and actresses. the ending was lingering in my mind for quite sometimes.

I have watched Frozen Flower. eventhough there's some many explicit bed scenes but I enjoyed the story because the storyline is good. JIS acting was also good in Frozen Flower. same goes to Dirty Carnival. he carried out his character very well. I also started to dig up his old projects like Nonstop 2; eventhough there's no English subtitles, I watched it nevertheless. haha.. also I tried to search for his debut project, School 3 but I just can't find it. to make story short, I think he is undeniably one of the best actors in Korea.

hbu @pandora460? mind sharing some of your opinions in this thread? :D

Guest pandora460

wow, @cassie6002, you are a more ardent fan of JIS than I am! I only watched WHIB and FF.  WHIB really showcased his great talent.  I hope he goes to do more challenging roles in the future.I have yet to watch TWTWB since I started out watching 7GCS and would finish it real-time.  But I would surely watch it later on.  If you read my earlier posts in this page, I am more of a Ha Ji Won fan and this led me to liking JIS' awesome acting.I bet you and I are on standby waiting to live stream our respective dramas..:))

@pandora460 I'm done with the live streaming and live recap. I've watched 7GCS too but only up to 10th episode. I got hooked of TWTWB. I guess I will continue watching 7GCS after TWTWB ends. ;)

I am actually Jo In Sung's new fan. I started to like him bcoz of his current drama. I knew HJW and SJS but I never notice JIS before.

• 2 weeks later...

it is amazing nothing will be missed ! and great work  will last forever .. 
who would believe after many years me and @cassie6002 will be JIS new fans ! searching , watching this drama and posting here  :-* 
it is funny TWTWB still not finished yet and I am looking forward to his new drama / movie .. but would love to see him in variety show more at the moment  :x

Guest sunshine4ever

Hi all, this is a repost from a long time ago since I saw that some of you are new in here watching WHIB. I will find some time when That Winter, The Wind Blows ends to rewatch this drama. :D

What Happened in Bali interview in Japanese magazine ""Korean Drama Vol.8"

Translation by wiwi @ http://user.chol.com/~wiwi/

2s8pffk.jpg

This is Kim Ki Ho (man) and Kim Sun Mi (woman)...Kim Ki Ho got credit for WHIB's script and won the best script for 2004 Baek Sang award.

Let us hear about the casting episodes.
Lee Sunmi - At first we contacted Jisub. we worked together with Jisub in the drama "love for a thousand years" in 2003, and i saw a very heart-breaking scene and thought that Jisub really suits a character with the shadows, and i'd like to make Jisub act as such a character. this drama ended in may 03, i called him at the end of may or beginning of June and explained him the synopsis and got his consent. with Jiwon, i thougnt it's only her who can play Soojung. so i met her with my husband and said without you, we wouldn't write this drama. we thought Soojung's image and her way of life matched exactly with the actress, Ha jiwon's image...and of course, Insung was a pinch hitter. (laugh)

Was he? Insung who's on the top of his career after this drama? then who was casted originally?

Lee - We had Yoo Osung in mind. But he gave up due to his movie schedule. What we had first on mind was Jung Jaemin over thirty years old.

Yoo Osung was Jung Jaemin? I just cannot imagine that(laugh)
Lee- I still can't. Jaemin's lines were originally written with the setting that he was older than Inwook,so it didn't fit into Insung. If Jaemin were originally Insung's role, then, the lines would have been written with the setting that he is much younger.

So, the casting was changed after several episodes of scripts were written. did you revise the script afterwards?

Kim Kiho - no, we went on as it was. Insung said he wanted to do it that way. I think he was willing to challenge himself as an actor.

So, you mean Insung adapted the completed script to himself, little by little?

Kim - of course, when an actor performs, the writer does nothing but trust him. After all, it is the actor who performs, and as an actor he should play the character wholly with himself. But he showed us such a great performance than we ever expected and surprised us.
Lee - When I saw ep. 1 on TV, i got surprised "oh, isn't Insung so good!"'
Insung seemed to be very much excited after finding himself so into Jaemin and we had such a good time while working together.

Did you ever counsel about their acting?

Lee - We talked a lot on the phone when the drama was shooting. especially with Jaemin.
"I think this emotion is like this, am i right?" he asked, then i said "just do as you think"  everybody was putting his 100%.

It seemed that Insung and Jisup become the character itself.
Lee - the viewers think Inwook and Jisub, Jaemin and Insung as one same character. We also analyzed them that way. Obviously, they were just the characters themselves. (laugh)

Tell us about the best scenes as a script writer.
Lee - in the Ep. 7, when Inwook and Soojung having dinner together without saying anything. and in the Ep. 9, when Soojung got fired and on the corridor she was passing by inwook who saw her but pretended he didn't, and in the Ep. 20, when Jaemin got his nose red and said "i can stand anything (skip) but I just can't stand seeing you turn your back to me" with a crying voice...in this scene, insung was complete Jaemin.

In the end, Soojung confessed Jaemin that she loved him. did Soojung really love those two men?

Kim - that depends on how you feel. (after thinking) I think Soojung loved Jaemin.

But it wasn't love at first?
Kim - At first, she turned him down. because she could see how their love could end, she tried not to give her heart to him. but I think Inwook is also kinda fantasy to Soojung.
Lee - She is a femme fatale who led those to men into their ruin.
Kim - if Soojung gave Jaemin her heart from the beginning, then all the relationships had their ending more earlier.
Lee - Then, we would have a story like "lovers in Paris" (laugh)

Who got more close-up than it was planned?
Lee - if we have to pick up one, then it's Jaemin...he speaks with his money.
I think the viewers see the character in real with the character in the drama, so they think a character with no money like inwook has no power. as a scriptwriter, we intended to write about all the 3 characters with the same weight, but a character like Jaemin seems to attract female viewers.

Please tell us the work you're most attached to.
Kim - We love every work we've done, but if we have to name one, it's "a man in crisis" and "what happened in Bali"
Lee - a drama that makes us keep emotions alive till the end remains in our heart, for a very long time, to any scripwriters or any actors...and what is amazing to us is that it's only these 2 dramas that we see the actors in private.

Thanks to wiwi for the translation and thanks to mihi for sharing this with wiwi and people at her site. Originally taken from wiwi's post. You can click on it if you want to read this in Korean translated from Japanese... the English translation is also in there.

Guest pandora460

@cassie6002 @wangnyeo..here is a link on ockoala's review of WHIB. this drama is really intense!
http://thundiesprattle.com/2010/05/06/what-happened-in-bali/

Guest pandora460

wangnyeo said: @pandora460 thanks dear I was happy to  see u here  >:D< did u start TWTWB or not yet ?? seems to be the drama will have a happy ending so marathon it and be with us celebrate it  ;)

Archived