GONG YOO: NOT JUST A PRETTY FACE

a069d2da-208e-40de-813c-10bf5a8c3cab.gif

Gong Yoo. Just the name is enough to make fans swoon. I mean, look at that face!

The good-looking South Korean actor, Gong Yoo is talented and has about 16 years of experience as an actor, having debuted in the 2001 drama, School 4. Born Gong Ji-chul, the 37-year old actor has appeared in a number of dramas and movies since his debut.

He gained immense popularity through The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince (2007), a romantic comedy drama, where he played the titular character of Choi Han Kyul, the owner of a coffee shop. His performance and chemistry with his co-star, Yoon Eun Hye, propelled him to stardom and led to the drama becoming a super hit. With his dashing good looks, upright image and acting skills, Yoo soon became a popular choice of many directors.

tumblr_lnh2wfautn1qj7u2no1_500.gif

While mainly known for his performances in romantic comedies, he has tackled various genres ranging from thriller to horror. The Crucible (2011), the award winning masterpiece, was one such project. His portrayal of a teacher who fights for justice for his students, earned him nominations for Best Actor at the Baeksang Arts Awards and at the Blue Dragon Film Awards. His education at Kyunghee University, where he obtained a BA in Theater, no doubt helped shape him to be a fantastic actor.

He is currently one of the most buzzed about actors in South Korea, mainly due to his portrayal of a goblin who is doomed to eternal life until he can find his bride, in the current most popular drama of 2017, The Lonely and Shining Goblin. The goblin’s story and romance was wonderfully brought to life by Yoo adding his own colour to the role in the process. A natural actor, his expertise and experience shows through in both his emotional scenes and comedic scenes. Winning Best Actor (TV) at the Baeksang Arts Awards was a testament to this performance.

635f1d130cccfdaeba084df6996abde5.gif

At times, he can be a mentor to his junior actors as well. In Goblin, for he gently guides a child actor and helps him deliver a wonderful performance. He also plays well on the emotions and acting of his co-stars to form his own reactions, leading to a very cohesive performance.

While certain characters that he plays like that of Dong Chul, in The Suspect (2013), are serious and violent, his actual personality is quite the opposite. Behind the scenes, he can be a prankster, creating a fun atmosphere for both the cast and crew.

Constantly named one of the actors other celebrities would love to work with in their next projects, Yoo is praised by many of his co-stars for both his acting and warm personality.

Last year’s Train to Busan (The Cinema review here) allowed him to explore a different role and a different genre. Classed a movie of the horror genre, Train to Busan details the events that happen during a zombie attack on a train. His role as Seok-Woo, unlike his previous roles, was that of an inattentive father and a selfish man. He played the role brilliantly well, presenting his fans a novel experience. Yoo said on the movie, that although the zombie genre seemed to be easy, he struggled in his role and that he found it scary to work in a zombie movie.

Gong Yoo’s charitable work has often been the focus of the media and he was even appointed as a special representative by the UNICEF. He has also been raising awareness about child protection and child rights through his humanitarian work.

His exceptional acting skills and handsome face has definitely captured many hearts, not just in his home country of Korea, but elsewhere as well. Expectations are high for his next project, due to the massive amount of popularity he’s receiving right now. From his acting to his charity work, Gong Yoo proves that he’s more than just a pretty face and is an actor and a personality to admire.

tumblr_inline_o71nibRadU1tae3h3_500.gif

http://thecinema.com/blog/2017/08/09/gong-yoo/
Thanks to yooshi for sharing
  • Like 3

Goblin is Top Korean drama in Taiwan for nearly 12 years 

2157420_4.jpg

Kong Yoo starred in drama "goblin" the broadcast of the final episode sets of average ratings 2.77 record, beat the "

princess hours "  rating topped the past 12 years short Korean drama in Taiwan ratings champion.

"Goblin" since the end of June to launch in Taiwan, as of the end of last night attracted a total of 7.23 million people to watch the whole drama , last night, the highest ratings fell after Lee dong wook and Yoo inna reincarnation.

The other top 10 dramas are :

1- Goblin

2-princess hours

3-Boys over flowers

4-Coffee prince

5-My lovely Sam Soon

6-Brilliant legacy

7-my love from another star

8-Descendants of the Sun

9-My Girl

10-Pasta

2157420_3.jpg

Congratulations to Gong yoo & all Goblin drama actors & staff for it's success in Taiwan , they deserve it :)

No wonder Gong yoo is so popular in Taiwan his 2 dramas " Goblin , Coffee prince" are in Top 10 , plus his movie Train to busan was huge success in Taiwan and became highest Korean Movie in TW ^_^

http://ent.ltn.com.tw/news/breakingnews/2157420

• Like 3

On 8/6/2017 at 2:26 PM, tanio12 said:

I don't think gong yoos net worth is that much. In fact song joong ki is worth 10 times what gong is worth and hasn't been in the game that long. I enjoyed gongs interview on CNN talk Asia. He kept it 100 and let it be known that he doesn't fake and he is a prisoner of the image he created. Nevertheless south Korea like hollywood is very competitive. Only the top rise and gong is one of them. I can assure any other actor would not have that effect of goblin like gong and Lee dong wook did no way. However we as humans must never exalt anybody over the most high. 

I see some of these k celebs acting all high and mighty as if they are the greatest and unfortunately they are not. It is why we must stop gassing them up so much and then get mad when they act arrogant or rude. Gong isn't that type but there are many who are 

Thanks for the info. I never said that GY was worth more than Song Joong Ki, so you misunderstood. I would never expect GY to be on Song Joong Ki's level. Like you said, Song Joong Ki hasn't been in the game that long and he is worth 10 times what Gong Yoo is worth. I know he is very successful. I know his new movie Battle Ship Island is doing really well. I wish Song Joong Ki the best and I know he has a bright future ahead. And I am happy that he and Song Hye Kyo are getting married. I think Song Hye Kyo is very beautiful. I wish Gong Yoo could catch such a beautiful and talented actress like her.  I wish Gong Yoo get married too someday. 

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed Gong Yoo's CNN Talk Asia. I agree. I also think he kept it 100. I disagree with what you said next though. I do think he does fake and that's a different conversation you and I can have. Just let me know. Maybe we can discuss it over PM. And I agree. I also think he is a prisoner of the image he created. You said what I have been trying to say this whole time, so thank you. I don't think he can get out of this image either. It makes me sad. You're right South Korea is competitive like Hollywood. Yes, only the top rise. You think GY is one of them? Ok I'll keep that in mind. When I think of the top I think of Song Joong Ki, Lee Min-ho, and Park Bo Gum. I am very surprised to hear you say that Gong Yoo is one of the top. You're right we must never exalt anybody over the most high.

I'm sorry that you see some k celebs acting all high and mighty. You think we should stop gassing up k celebs so much and not get mad when they act arrogant or rude? I have never thought of that. I will keep that in mind. I don't know a lot about k celebs. You don't think Gong Yoo is the type to act all high and mighty? Well, I will have to keep that in mind too.

I look forward to your feedback.

@_Dokkaebi_ Hi. I got no response from you. Did I offend you? Are you okay? 

Edited by 2handsintertwined

@ everyone

I really don't expect anyone to read this, but can you at least try?

These are my honest feelings, and I'm not very good at expressing myself, so I tried.

I think I have confused some of you. I think some of you may misunderstand me.

I'm sorry this is super long, but I talk too much and this is all I've got.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I first got into GY, I searched "Gong Yoo forum." This was the first place that popped up. So I joined. I said, "Before I comment, I should read the forum from page 1." I did that. I read this forum from page 1. I always think, "I read from page 1, does that mean that I know a lot about him?"

Anyway, I noticed that there used to be a lot of people here commenting on GY. I noticed that GY had a lot of news. I noticed that fans used to prepare projects for him. I noticed that he used to connect with his fans more. I noticed that he used to say more things about himself in older interviews. I read that his fans were called Yoo Gals. I read through all the tough times he had. I read about his military enlistment, and I read about the day he returned. Back then, a lot of his interviews would get translated from Korean to English. I don't think that happens anymore. Why? I noticed that he used to write on his fancafe You & I. I noticed he had a cyworld. That would also get translated. The GY fans from the first 100 pages were happy, and they had energy. They even talked about who they wanted to ship him with, but now we can't even mention who we want him to be shipped with. I think that is my fault because I caused trouble for one of the members here. And I think she knows who she is. I am sorry.

So, let me get back on track. After a while, his fans weren't happy anymore, and they didn't have any energy.

Then his fans started to leave, and people stopped commenting. I asked, "Did people leave him because of his military service?" I don't know.

Why GY's page is dead now is a mystery to me.Some of you say his fans moved to different platforms like twitter and instagram, and facebook, but you can't say that for everybody. Where did they all go? I don't think we'll ever know. Do any of you know why I beg others to come join us? I will tell you. I  beg others to come join us because I miss the old days when lots of people were sharing their love, pictures, articles, and opinions about GY.

No I was not here back then, but I am envious. I don't understand why his page is dead. I don't get it at all. The original owner of this thread aalhl is gone. If you read from the first page, she did a lot for GY's community here. It sucks that we lost someone like her. Some of you say she moved on to different platforms. Well, why? What is wrong with GY's page? I don't get it. How come I am the only new fan here? I have known GY since December 2016, and I fell in love. I just don't understand.

And those of us who are here, a lot of us don't get along. So this place makes me sad. I know it's my fault. I just want to say, that I am sorry. I know I offended a lot of you. I hope we can all try to move on together. I do think we try everyday to keep his page going. I will give us that, but where is the excitement? I know this is GY's page. I'm just going to talk about myself for a second.

As I've said before, I am not Korean or Asian. I first got into Korean entertainment through kpop, and my first drama was Life is Beautiful. I still don't know a lot about Korean culture and entertainment. I think Korean and Asian culture is beautiful. I am so curious about Korean and Asian culture. I think Asian men, women, and children are beautiful. I want to be an Asian woman or man so bad. Whenever I see an Asian woman on the train I smile at her because I think she is so beautiful. I don't think she has any idea why I am smiling at her.

And every time I watch a drama and I see the cast eating, I want to eat that too. I even tried to make kimchi once, but that didn't turn out right. I just think I should explain something. I was rude to @alohagongyoo. I think she said something, and I corrected her. I can't remember exactly what it was because I edited my comment. I don't think it is her fault. I think she said she is still learning.

So I just want you all to know that I am very passionate about civil rights. I try to speak out against racism, bigotry, animal cruelty, inequality for men and women, abuse, homophobia, and transphobia, etc. I try to speak out against people who hate others because of their religion, too. I know a lot of us are all different and that is what makes us all beautiful. So if I ever do a certain thing that is why.

So if anyone ever asked me if Gong Yoo is Chinese, I would say, "You are so ignorant. He's South Korean."

Anyway, I know I am too much to handle, and I try my hardest to fit in here, but I don't think I am fitting in here. I think that is my fault.

I just don't get a long with some of you. Do we all have to get a long? No.

An African-American Civil Rights Leader named Martin Luther King once said, "Injustice anywhere, is injustice everywhere."

So I think what I'm trying to say is that if some of us don't get along here, it isn't going to work.

Moving on.

I think Gong Yoo inspires me and I am sure he inspires a lot of people. I think anyone can relate to his characters. I think the roles he plays gives people hope. I think he reminds me of some American men in the movies and television shows I watch. I think he resembles American heroes. I think his roles could be any race. I think any race could relate to his role. For example, a lot of men can relate to Seok Woo from Train to Busan. A lot of men are dads who don't pay attention to their kids.

I watched Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy, and I just have to say that after watching that, I think GY is very charming and talented. I think he is the ideal man in movies. For example, he is like James Dean, Leonardo Dicaprio, Idris Elba, Brad Pitt, etc. I think this man is special.  I think anyone can feel exactly what he is feeling in each role. 

After watching that drama, I missed him because I have watched everything of his. And I love him so much. Yes, I am in love with him. I have a crush on him. It is so embarrassing. 

I'm not Korean or Asian, so I would never have a chance with him, right? 

I can dream. Sometimes I have fantasies of him holding my hand as we walk down the street together.  

Anyway,

I am very disappointed in him, and I wish I never became his fan because I don't know how to wait for someone I want so badly.

I know we have all been over this before, but I can't help it. I miss him so much and I am going crazy. I try to distract myself with different things, like anime, but I want him. I want him. 

Why can't I have him? More of him?

I like watching him kiss people.  Is that weird?

Why doesn't Gong Yoo stand up straight? 

Anyway, another thing. I use gifs and I think that bothers a lot of people. I think for some it looks a little stupid. Well, I am just being me. And if I can't be me here, then why be here? And I do not HATE Gong Yoo. I swear, if someone tells me I hate him again, I will riot in the streets of Seoul(can't afford to go there, but still). 

I used to complain, why won't this person like my post? Why won't this person reply to me? Well, I was stupid and I sounded like a control freak.

It's like I said, "You must 'like' my post!"

I don't care anymore.

Am I a sadist? Do I like giving others pain?  Is that why I'm so attracted to GY? Something tells me he is a masochist...Something tells me he likes pain. 

Also, I think I get so mad at him because he is sexually frustrating?

I am not his fan because he was in a hugely successful zombie movie. I know he got overshadowed by Ma Da Seok.

I am his fan because I love his passion for acting.

I said, "This guy makes it look real."

I'm jumping around.

Anyway,

Thanks for your time, everyone.

Oh, and please don't feel like I'm ignoring those of you who have already responded to this. I just wanted to say this out for everyone. 

I just feel so stupid because I'm in love with Gong Yoo and I know I'll never have him. :bawling: When he gets married, I will cry.

• Like 3

@2handsintertwined you aren't alone i did the same after i know GY , this page was my only source to know about him so i read from page 1 i was silent reader then i decided to join them & comment here . The problem you still think Soompi is the only source of GY news in the past in 2005 , 2006 , 2007 there was no facebook , twitter , instagram , that's why all GY fans gathered here . now there're many places for GY fans , Many groups in Face , insta , twitter i join many of them , there are many old & new fans in love with GY & support him . They arrange many things send presents , food trucks , ....... in his projects , in his birthday , in his FMs . They are from many countries " Japan , China , Taiwan , Philippines ,  Thai , Hong Kong , Malaysia , and many other countries" i'll try to share what they did for GY .They are doing great job .i update Soompi cuz i know there're new fans like u & me are silent just read his old & new staff May be oneday 'll join us 

i was lost in the beginning since i'm not Korean or Asian , doesn't know about their culture until i started to search to understand them more , now i'm trying to translate his Korean & chinese News. yes i'm not that good but i'm trying 

13 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

I also think he is a prisoner of the image he created. You said what I have been trying to say this whole time, so thank you. I don't think he can get out of this image either. It makes me sad. You're right South Korea is competitive like Hollywood. Yes, only the top rise. You think GY is one of them? Ok I'll keep that in mind. When I think of the top I think of Song Joong Ki, Lee Min-ho, and Park Bo Gum. I am very surprised to hear you say that Gong Yoo is one of the top. You're right we must never exalt anybody over the most high.

i don't think GY is the only actor who is prisoner in his image or try to keep his clean image . Korea isn't Hollywood or even here in Egypt . once you lost your clean image in Korea you lost many offers either in CFs , dramas , movies , lose many fans , lose money lose support while in Hollywood we read many bad things about actors personal life but at the same time they 're successful in their movies . The problem K-netizens interfere in actors life " Their dating , marriage , opinions" That's why many actors hide their personal life from media 

I'll continue in Spoiler cuz it's related to GY and other actors 

Spoiler

Thanks for the info. I never said that GY was worth more than Song Joong Ki, so you misunderstood. I would never expect GY to be on Song Joong Ki's level.

in Korea GY level more than SJK , he even more paid in CFs , movies . GY is paid more than $1 M for every CF it's the highest price in Korea , only Jun Ji hyun & Kim Soo Hyun are paid $ 1m . So in terms of payment & Offers GY is better than  SJK & PBG . i even read many korean news and GY is the most in demand now in Korea But SJK & PBG appeared in many CFs nearly 20 , appeared in many Magazines , FMs more  than GY . it's true GY is paid more than them but he doesn't appear so much like them that's why his Net worth isn't high like them . 

When I think of the top I think of Song Joong Ki, Lee Min-ho, and Park Bo Gum

First , I'm not their fans but i respect them and respect their Fans " it's my own opinion " but all of these 3 names are top Hallyu stars not top stars , the most popular not the most talented . When we talk about top actors we should mention Song kang ho , lee byung hyun , ha jung woo , Kang dong won , Bae doona , Jun ji hyun , jeon do yeon " all are monster in actors . now in Korea GY is considered one of these Top Actors & have prestige that's why he's highly paid . Yes it's true GY is so popular & top hallyu star but he's not popular like LMH , SJK , PBG . Also GY is building his career to be top actor has prestige like other great actors & actresses i mentioned above . GY doesn't care so much about popularity that's why he's not active like younger actors but he's building his career to be real " Top actor" he succeeded in this . GY knows popularity Comes and goes . Actor popular this year won't be popular the next year cuz every year many young actor appears and became popular but Great actors like Song Kang ho " His career still steady & successful " even he's 50 y 

That's why i want GY great actor like SKH & LBH more than popular actor . That's why Tanio12 said GY among top actors

I'll continue in PM , Sorry again To LMH & SJK & PBG fans 

• Like 2

Goblin records the highest rating for a Kdrama in Taiwan!

Yoo-In-Na-lee-dong-wook-gong-yoo-kim-go-

The phenomenal hit Kdrama of 2016 'Goblin' records the highest rating for a Kdrama in Taiwan!

GOBLIN was aired in Taiwan's cable TV channel SCC. The said drama reportedly reached 5.50% ratings on its eight day of broadcast while its average audience rating attained 2.27%.

Goblin surpassed the 2006 hit drama 'Princess Hours' which holds the record for 12 years, having a 2.21% average audience rating. It also beat 'Descendants of the Sun' which has 1.54% ratings.

95a4b22160b8547b1da400511a56e78e.gif

http://www.ilovekstars.com/news/post/8360/

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Noor90 said:

@2handsintertwined you aren't alone i did the same after i know GY , this page was my only source to know about him so i read from page 1 i was silent reader then i decided to join them & comment here . The problem you still think Soompi is the only source of GY news in the past in 2005 , 2006 , 2007 there was no facebook , twitter , instagram , that's why all GY fans gathered here . now there're many places for GY fans , Many groups in Face , insta , twitter i join many of them , there are many old & new fans in love with GY & support him . They arrange many things send presents , food trucks , ....... in his projects , in his birthday , in his FMs . They are from many countries " Japan , China , Taiwan , Philippines ,  Thai , Hong Kong , Malaysia , and many other countries" i'll try to share what they did for GY .They are doing great job .i update Soompi cuz i know there're new fans like u & me are silent just read his old & new staff May be oneday 'll join us 

i was lost in the beginning since i'm not Korean or Asian , doesn't know about their culture until i started to search to understand them more , now i'm trying to translate his Korean & chinese News. yes i'm not that good but i'm trying 

i don't think GY is the only actor who is prisoner in his image or try to keep his clean image . Korea isn't Hollywood or even here in Egypt . once you lost your clean image in Korea you lost many offers either in CFs , dramas , movies , lose many fans , lose money lose support while in Hollywood we read many bad things about actors personal life but at the same time they 're successful in their movies . The problem K-netizens interfere in actors life " Their dating , marriage , opinions" That's why many actors hide their personal life from media 

I'll continue in Spoiler cuz it's related to GY and other actors 

Reveal hidden contents

in Korea GY level more than SJK , he even more paid in CFs , movies . GY is paid more than $1 M for every CF it's the highest price in Korea , only Jun Ji hyun & Kim Soo Hyun are paid $ 1m . So in terms of payment & Offers GY is better than  SJK & PBG . i even read many korean news and GY is the most in demand now in Korea But SJK & PBG appeared in many CFs nearly 20 , appeared in many Magazines , FMs more  than GY . it's true GY is paid more than them but he doesn't appear so much like them that's why his Net worth isn't high like them . 

First , I'm not their fans but i respect them and respect their Fans " it's my own opinion " but all of these 3 names are top Hallyu stars not top stars , the most popular not the most talented . When we talk about top actors we should mention Song kang ho , lee byung hyun , ha jung woo , Kang dong won , Bae doona , Jun ji hyun , jeon do yeon " all are monster in actors . now in Korea GY is considered one of these Top Actors & have prestige that's why he's highly paid . Yes it's true GY is so popular & top hallyu star but he's not popular like LMH , SJK , PBG . Also GY is building his career to be top actor has prestige like other great actors & actresses i mentioned above . GY doesn't care so much about popularity that's why he's not active like younger actors but he's building his career to be real " Top actor" he succeeded in this . GY knows popularity Comes and goes . Actor popular this year won't be popular the next year cuz every year many young actor appears and became popular but Great actors like Song Kang ho " His career still steady & successful " even he's 50 y 

That's why i want GY great actor like SKH & LBH more than popular actor . That's why Tanio12 said GY among top actors

I'll continue in PM , Sorry again To LMH & SJK & PBG fans 

Ok. Thank you :blush:.

• Like 1