[Movie 2007] Secret Sunshine 밀양 Milyang

rubie

cannes07hg2.jpg

Festival Hot List: 10 Foreign-Language Films to Watch For in Cannes

"Days of Darkness" ("L'Age des tenebres"), directed by Denys Arcand

Canada (Out of Competition)

International sales: Studio Canal

"The Edge of Heaven" ("Auf der anderen Seite des Lebens"), directed by Fatih Akin

Germany-Turkey (Competition)

International sales: The Match Factory GmbH

"Flight of the Red Balloon" ("Balloon Rouge"), directed by Hou Hsiao-hsien

France (Un Certain Regard)

International sales: Films Distribution

"The Man From London," directed by Bela Tarr

Hungary-France-Germany (Competition)

International sales: Fortissimo Films

"The Orphanage," directed by Juan Antonio Bayona

Spain (Critic's Week)

International sales: Wild Bunch; U.S. distributor: Picturehouse

"Persepolis," directed by Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud

France-U.S. (Competition)

International sales: Dreamachine; U.S. distributor: Sony Pictures Classics

"Secret Sunshine," directed by Lee Chang-dong

South Korea (Competition)

International sales: CJ Entertainment

While one of the leading figures of South Korea's New Wave, the films of Lee Chang-dong ("Green Fish," "Peppermint Candy," "Oasis") have seen little big-screen time in the U.S. But following a recent groundswell of support for the nation's cinema (see "The Host"; Park Chan-wook's revenge trilogy; or Kim Ki-Duk, whose latest "Breath" is also in competition), Lee's "Screen Sunshine" comes to the Croisette with strong momentum -- and already one major critical champion, Variety and L.A. Weekly critic Scott Foundas. In a blog post (http://blogs.laweekly.com/foundas/let-the-sunshine-in/) from Paris, Foundas caught an advanced screening of the film and called it "nothing less than superb," and "a secular hymn to the small triumphs and cavernous tragedies of the everyday, and to our awesome ability to cope." The film has already screened for the Korean press, who reportedly have been rallying around actress Jeon Do-yeon as a viable contender for Best Actress in Cannes. The film co-stars Song Kang-ho, the popular actor from "The Host."

"Silent Light," directed by Carlos Reygadas

Mexico-France-Netherlands (Competition)

International sales: BAC Films

"Terror's Advocate" (L'Avocat de la terreur"), directed by Barbet Schroeder

France (Un Certain Regard)

International sales: Wild Bunch; U.S. distributor: Magnolia Pictures

"Triangle," directed by Tsui Hark, Ringo Lam, and Johnnie To

Hong Kong-China (Out of Competition; Midnight)

International sales: Dreamachine

Source: http://www.indiewire.com/ots/2007/05/cannes_07_festi.html

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 23, 2007

Secret Sunshine Movie Review

Written by luna6

Movie : Secret Sunshine / Milyang / 밀양

Year : 2007

Director : Chang-dong Lee

Starring : Do-yeon Jeon (Shin-ae), Kang-ho Song (Jong-chan)

Run Time : 142 Minutes

Rating : 9.0

Plot Synopsis : A woman by the name of Shin-Ae and her only child move to the small town of Milyang, South Korea. Her husband has recently passed away and she has decided to start life anew back in the hometown of her deceased husband. While entering Milyang, Shin-Ae’s car breaks down along a rural highway. She is able to get the local mechanic in Milyang, named Jong-chan, to come out to her car and start it once again. Although they come from different social backgrounds, the pair hits it off and seems to find comfort in each other’s presence.

Tragedy soon strikes Shin-Ae again with the abduction of her only son. As Shin-Ae deals with another inexplicable tragedy she receives help from her friend Jong-chan to try to find the light that is buried somewhere within the darkness of her life.

Movie Review : Secret Sunshine is a blistering film, that could create a whole lot of controversy. Nothing brings an uproar faster than the topic of religion and Secret Sunshine doesn’t hold back in questioning the existence of God or critiquing the role of religion in society.

A little background information about the film. The director of the film, Chang-dong Lee, is highly regarded in Korea for his three prior films “Oasis” “Peppermint Candy” and “Green Fish.” Chang-dong Lee’s prior film “Oasis” brought the director international acclaim, wining the prestigious Director’s Award at the 2003 Venice Film Festival. Shortly after the release of “Oasis,” Chang-dong Lee was even appointed as Korea’s minister of culture and tourism. He resigned two years later to concentrate on his films. In Oasis, Moon So-Ri amazed with her unforgettable portrayal of a young lady afflicted with cerebral palsy. Similar to Moon So-Ri’s memorable performance in Oasis, Secret Sunshine has Do-yeon Jeon giving a performance that is equal to, if not more, powerful.

It’s no secret Do-yeon Jeon is a wonderful actress, just reference her performance in “You Are My Sunshine” or “My Mother Is A Mermaid” as proof. Yet, the brevity of pain she was able to express during her descent into darkness in “Secret Sunshine” was something to absolutely marvel at. During the final portions of the movie my hands were literally clenched to the armrests, out of this gripping fear of what she could possibly do next. I was actually praying another tragedy would not occur in her life.

Meanwhile, Kang-ho Song seems to get better and better with each movie that he performs in. Outside of “Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance,” it seems Kang-ho Song plays nice characters that are bumbling in nature, but able to conquer whatever obstacles are placed in his way. His character in Secret Sunshine followed this motif somewhat, but during a scene towards the end of the film, I literally jumped out of my seat when he displayed an unexpected fit of rage. As a testament to his performance, horror movies never made me jump up from my seat, but Kang-ho Song certainly did. Yet, the manner in which his character was portrayed, you couldn’t help to think that he was indeed a real life angel in Shin-Ae’s life.

The structure of the story itself is unusual in that it flows in an unexpected circular nature, that starts off as a romantic drama, then a thriller, then turns into one lady’s descent into her own heart of darkness. In retrospect the unpredictable storyline followed the predictable manner in which life itself sometimes unfolds : sudden changes that seems to come in waves. Some clues to what Chang-dong Lee may have tried to convey upon the audience can be revealed (without giving away the crux of the movie) by two brief scenes that occurred at the beginning and end of the film. When Shin-ae first came to Milyang, she went around town to solicit business for her piano lessons. She walked into a small clothing boutique and struck up a brief conversation with the owner of the store. The owner seemed to hold a grim internal mood, hidden somewhat by her stiff exterior expression. The boutique itself seemed to get very little business, while the interior of the stores was painted all in black. Shin-Ae gently smiled and offered this tip to the boutique owner before walking out, “If you change the interior to a brighter color, people will likely feel more comfortable and want to come into your store.” At the end of the movie, the boutique owner had indeed re-designed the interior of her store, most notable would have been the walls that were now painted all in white. When the shop owner saw Shin-Ae, she smiled and laughed with a happiness that did not exist in her earlier scene.

Secret Sunshine is a movie that will likely stay in your mind for days after seeing the movie. The story was utterly riveting, while the performances by Do-yeon Jeon and Kang-ho Song were nothing short of brilliant. Questions that are often asked internally, but not as often asked in films, were boldly asked in Secret Sunshine. The answers were never clearly revealed in the film, but left to be answered internally by the viewer. A fitting way to answer the film’s original question.

If you like this film, you may enjoy : Memories Of Matsuko

Credit: http://lunapark6.com/secret-sunshine.html#more-4290. thanks to Twitchfilm for the highlight

FRANCE CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

20070524232302.119.0.jpg

South Korean director Lee Chang-dong, South Korean actors Jeon Do-yeon and Song Kang-ho arrive for a gala screening of South Korean director Lee Chang-dong's film 'Secret Sunshine' running in competition at the 60th Cannes Film Festival, 24 May 2007, in Cannes, France. EPA/DANIEL DEME

NISI20070524_0004469373_web.jpg

20070524233701.772.0.jpg

South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon arrives for a gala screening of South Korean director Lee Chang-dong's film 'Secret Sunshine' running in competition at the 60th Cannes Film Festival, 24 May 2007, in Cannes, France. EPA/DANIEL DEME

r.jpg

Star heats Korea's "Secret Sunshine" at Cannes

Thu May 24, 2007 11:23AM EDT

By James Mackenzie

CANNES, France (Reuters) - A powerful performance by South Korean star Jeon Do-yeon in "Secret Sunshine" is one of a striking array of notable female roles at this year's Cannes film festival.

"Secret Sunshine", by director Lee Chang-dong tells the story of the newly widowed Shin-ae, who leaves Seoul with her little son to start a new life as a piano teacher in her late husband's home town of Miryang.

Slightly out of place in the everyday provincial community, Shin-ae does her best to fit in with her inquisitive neighbors and a friendly but oppressive mechanic played by Song Kang-ho, one of Korea's biggest stars.

The film follows the sweet and stoical Shin-ae as her life is suddenly torn apart and Jeon gives an unsparing portrayal of the young mother's attempts to deal with overwhelming despair and the insensitivity of both townspeople and her own family.

One of the most popular actresses in Korea, who first came to fame in the 1997 film "The Contact", Jeon said she had often felt uncertain about the part but was greatly helped by Lee, one of his country's leading directors and an ex-culture minister.

"I couldn't really prepare the role because there were feelings that I've never had and I couldn't even imagine," she told reporters.

Her moving performance stood out even in a festival that has seen a string of outstanding female roles both in the main line-up or in films outside competition like "A Mighty Heart" where Angelina Jolie plays the wife of murdered journalist Daniel Pearl.

Veteran Russian actress Galina Vishnevskaya in the Chechen war drama "Alexandra", Ukrainian debutante Ekateryna Rak as the struggling immigrant Olga in "Import/Export" or South Korea's Zia in "Breath" have all attracted strong praise

Despite her occasional doubts, Jeon said the film had stretched her as an actor.

"This movie was exhausting, both emotionally and physically but it did give me the chance to surpass myself. I know I've improved, I can see that," she said in the production notes.

As the bumbling mechanic Jong-chan, Song, star of the 2006 hit "The Host", plays a supporting role, following the suffering Shin-ae about with dog-like devotion.

But his flawed everyman character provides an effective foil to the emotional drama at the film's heart.

"Secret Sunshine" has attracted some controversy because of its treatment of evangelical Christians, who initially convert the traumatized Shin-ae although Lee said he had tried to make a broadly human story rather than a film about religion.

He said his decision to base the film around a woman reflected the broad theme of the film.

"What I wanted to show in this film was human suffering and how people deal with this pain, how they find hope again and I thought a female character could get closer to the nature of suffering," he said.

source http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/id...465035820070524

May 25, 2007

Competition-Shy Director Braves Competition at Cannes

Director Lee Chang-dong’s new movie “Secret Sunshine” was screened in competition at the Cannes International Film Festival on Thursday. Lee has been to Cannes before, when his work “Peppermint Candy” was picked for the festival’s Director’s Fortnight screenings. But it was the first time he has been invited to the official competition. In a press conference, Lee said he felt honored to have a work invited and was trying not to care about the decision of the jury. “I don’t like competition, so I tried to avoid competitive occasions even when I was at school.”

20070525001601wc7.jpg

Actors Song Kang-ho and Jeon Do-yeon and director Lee Chang-dong (from left) pose for pictures

before the screening of Lee’s “Secret Sunshine” in competition at the Cannes International Film Festival.

/Reuters-Yonhap

“Secret Sunshine” also opened in Korea on Thursday. The movie depicts the pain of the heroine, played by Jeon Do-yeon, who feels betrayed by both life and religion. Answering questions from reporters, Lee said the movie is about human beings, not about religion. “I wanted to pose question about the meaning of pain in our life. And I wanted to depict the process to heal the pain.” When a Danish reporter asked what it means that two Korean films are screened in competition this year, the director answered, “Essentially, the creative spirit of filmmakers is important in producing movies, not their nationality.” But he predicted it would encourage Korean filmmakers.

Questions about the movie’s stars were as warm as sunshine. Stéphane Boudsocq from French radio channel Radio RTL showered female lead Jeon Do-yeon with compliments, saying her acting was the most impressive in all the movies he watched in the competition. Jeon said her 10th film gave her new energy, and that was her biggest achievement. Song Kang-ho, who stars opposite her, also praised Jeon’s acting.

Eighteen of the 22 films competing at Cannes have now been screened. Promising contenders include the Coen brothers’ “No Country For Old Men”, Cristian Mungiu's “Four Months, Three Weeks and Two Days” and Julian Schnabel's "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”, with high ratings by film magazines like Screen and Le Film Français. The winner of the grand prix Palme d'Or will be announced on Sunday, when the festival ends.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0705250016.html

image-thumbnail-7814.jpg

“Secret Sunshine” by Lee Chang-DongOne of Korea’s leading filmmakers, Lee Chang-dong, is presenting his latest work in Competition, entitled Secret Sunshine. The film mixes comedy and despair, darkness and light and is an ode to how we cope in everyday life. Featuring one of Korea’s biggest stars, Song Kang-ho and also Jeon Do-yeon, Secret Sunshine follows the couple who re-locate to Miryang and their difficulties in adapting.

Lee Chang-dong relates his intentions: “My original idea for the movie was for it to be more realistic, perhaps in the format of a documentary. I realized that would be difficult to achieve, so I forced to give it up many times. (…) For this movie, we didn’t necessarily shoot the same scene over and over again. It was important for the movie and the actors to maintain the right flow of emotion, so we kept the order of the scenes in the screenplay.”

Press Conference:

image-thumbnail-7815.jpg

"Secret Sunshine"

At the press conference held for the in-Competition presentation of Secret Sunshine, actors Jeon Do-yeon and Song Kang-ho appeared with director Lee Chang-dong to field questions from journalists. Here are the highlights:

Lee Chang-dong on the city of Miryang: "Miryang is a typical Korean city. It is an ordinary place. It has a lovely name, though, which means "secret sunshine." I have always wondered why such a dull town had such a poetic name. The idea behind that choice of title being that even in an altogether ordinary life, there can be a metaphysical quest."

Lee Chang-dong on religion: "It is not a film about religion; it's a film about people, whether they are religious or not. (…) Regarding my reasons for choosing the Christian religion: mainly, because in Korea, there are many, many Christians. And also, the themes of forgiveness and reconciliation are very strong in the Christian religion, which tries to give answers to human suffering, more than other religions."

Jeon Do-yeon on her work as an actress: "I made no preparations for the role, because these were feelings that were so foreign to me I couldn't even imagine them. Therefore, I live through the events in the life of Shin-ae, my character, at the same time as she does. (…) Secret Sunshine is my tenth film, but I feel like I'm at the beginning of my career again, because this film renewed my energy so much."

Song Kang-ho on his part: "I didn't model my character on anyone in particular. But he's the type of person one frequently meets in Korea, so I was comfortable playing him."

Lee Chang-dong on the fact that two Korean films (Breath and Secret Sunshine) were selected In Competition: "I doubt that there's any link between the number of films In Competition in a festival and recognition of a cinematography. Before a film has a nationality, it is the work of a team, of a special creative spirit. However, it is true that having two films in Competition attracts attention for Korean cinema, and I hope the attention will give it even more energy."

Lee Chang-dong on the beginning and end of the film: "I chose to begin the film with a shot of the sky and to end with a shot of just any piece of land, even a fairly dirty one. By that, I simply meant to say that the meaning of life is not to be found in the sky, but on Earth."

Lee Chang-dong on violence: "Generally speaking, cinema is increasingly violent. The particularity of Korean cinema, compared to American cinema, for example, is that we have a much more realistic, rawer approach to violence. For example, Korean filmmakers will not show serial killers as charming characters

from http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/archives/...3#news_articles

you can check on the news article on the cannes official site .

May 25, 2007

Secret Sunshine

Bottom Line: Emotionally complex tale of a woman's confrontation with the worst of fates.

By Kirk Honeycutt

92741gh6.jpg

Lee Chang-dong views his characters as people

who have found a peace and serenity in their lives.

CANNES -- "Secret Sunshine" (Miryang) from Lee Chang-dong, one of Korea's leading filmmakers, is a brave and unsettling film that changes course several times, on each occasion catching the viewer off-guard. At the focus of his deceptive, seemingly small story is a question of human suffering and how one perseveres in life.

The film features outstanding performances by its two leads: Jeon Do-yeon as the story's central figure and Song Kang-ho, probably Korea's most popular actor at the moment, here playing more of a supporting role. These will help "Secret Sunshine" to win acclaim at festivals following its Cannes debut. Theatrical acceptance should come in art houses nearly everywhere.

Jeon plays Lee Shin-ae, whose husband died in a car accident. The attractive widow moves from Seoul to her husband's hometown of Miryang with her young son to begin life anew. A car breakdown as she nears the city introduces her to friendly auto mechanic Kim Jong-chan (Song).

He sparks to the pretty woman immediately, but she finds his many attempts to ingratiate himself and help her with problems almost annoying. His own mother labels him a "loser," and from outward appearances -- a man no longer young who is unmarried and too eager to please -- you understand her viewpoint.

Lee opens a piano academy and has some success, but she remains an outsider to townspeople who regard her with curiosity. The movie then abruptly breaks away from a course seemingly headed toward dramatic romance into something of a thriller. Then, abruptly again, the film turns into a study of the deepest human despair, where Lee seeks solace from wherever it might come -- from born-again Christianity to suicide.

Writer-director Lee is willing to let his heroine seem foolish and self-centered at times. She is a very human, very flawed character, just as her ardent admirer is an unlikely male figure in such a movie. For all the dramatic turns of events, this is an utterly natural story with such events unfolding with the suddenness of real life. The heroine is so emotionally frazzled that twice she nearly hits pedestrians with her car. When she rushes to the telephone, she trips in her own doorway.

As the movie progresses, Jeon gradually and subtlety shows the gathering strength within the emotionally delicate woman. The struggle at times makes her seem like a deer caught in headlights. Yet when she regains her composure, a determined and resolute woman reappears.

The portrait of the evangelical Korean Christian community is accomplished without condescension. The filmmaker views its members as people who have found a peace and serenity in their lives to which they cling with possibly misguided fervor. The heroine too finds a refuge within its fold from the ravages of fate, albeit briefly, only to feel betrayed by the very God who has delivered this joy to her.

The film ends on a neutral note as if Lee were telling a story with no real end. It's a life and at some point the story must stop, but the life continues with the future never entirely certain. This is a considerable achievement: To offer up a mix of movie genres yet make a story come together as a perfectly fitting and comprehensible whole.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter.com, highlighted by Korea Pop Wars

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/awards...p?&rid=9274

Guest joynara

Excerpts from the New York Times:

CANNES JOURNAL

Festival Distinguished by Its Strong Actresses

92741gh6.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon in Lee Chang-dong’s Korean film "Secret Sunshine."

By A. O. SCOTT

Published: May 26, 2007

The critics in Cannes are a notoriously contentious bunch, but something close to a consensus has formed that this festival has new vitality at 60. Some years, a disappointing lineup in the main competition sends impatient crowds to the sidebar programs, but this year the big show is receiving most of the attention and acclaim.

Joining the list of top-tier contenders for the Palme d’Or is "Secret Sunshine," from the South Korean director Lee Chang-dong. Mr. Lee, who turned to filmmaking after a long career as a novelist (and who has also served as his country’s minister of culture), brings a contemplative, literary sensibility to a story that might easily have lent itself to melodrama and sensationalism. It is about a young widow from Seoul who moves with her son to her husband’s hometown, a small city where she knows nobody.

For the first third of its nearly two-and-a-half-hour running time, "Secret Sunshine" feels like a slightly somber fish-out-of-water comedy, until a sudden catastrophe cranks up the psychological intensity, sending the heroine (the remarkable Jeon Do-yeon) into a frenzied, desperate search for some kind of peace.

Her pain is almost too much for Mr. Lee’s deliberate style to contain — and there is something incomplete about the film, in spite of its length — but Ms. Jeon’s portrayal of a meek soul in torment is a tour de force. She joins an impressive roster of fierce, fearless actresses gracing the Cannes screen this year. On Sunday night the prize for best female performance may well upstage the Palme d’Or.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/26/movies/26cann.html

The rest of the article goes on to praise Asia Argento who has appeared in three films at the Festival. Although the byline is by A. O. Scott, the first part is signed by Manohla Dargis, the other chief critic for the New York Times, and I'm not sure who wrote the lead-in story with Sunshine. But I'd be happy with either one of them, if I were Jeon.

The buzz for Best Actress seems to be on Jeon for Sunshine, Asia Argento either for Une Vieille Maîtresse or all three of her roles, and Anamaria Marinca for the Romanian abortion drama 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, which is also a strong contender for the Palme D'Or, after the Coen brothers' No Country For Old Men with Javier Bardem. The critics seem to be more divided on Sunshine or Lee's direction, but very little, if any, dissent has been heard about Jeon's performance.

May 26, 2007

Korean films set to be clobbered by Hollywood this summer

Lack of fresh material, reluctance of producers to invest cited as behind poor performance

1180075268ve6.jpg

» A Seoul theater

Hollywood films are sweeping the Korean cinema scene as domestic movies are losing their audience pull after a surprise boom last year.

Spider-Man 3, which premiered on April 30 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, released on May 23, were playing at 619 and 670 movie houses nationwide, respectively. These two films are taking up more than 70 percent of the nation’s 1,700 theaters, as the number of cinemas screening Spider-Man 3 during the first week of its release reached up to 819.

In contrast, Unstoppable Marriage, a domestic movie, was released by 290 movie houses on May 10, but with the release of Pirates of the Caribbean this figure decreased to 230. Director Lee Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine, running in competition at the 60th Cannes Film Festival, was released at 260 cinemas on May 24. Hwang Jin Yi, a historical drama to be premiered on June 6, is expected to secure over 450 movie houses, but well less than the two foreign films.

Hollywood blockbusters are likely to sweep the domestic movie scene through this summer. Major movies such as Shrek The Third, Ocean’s Thirteen, Transformers, Harry Potter And The Order of The Phoenix, and Live Free Or Die Hard are set to be premiered during this period. In the summer of 2004, Korean movies, including My Mother the Mermaid, A Wacky Switch, and How to Keep My Love were defeated by foreign films like Shrek 2, Spider-Man 2, and Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, indicating that domestic movies may have a rough time this summer, as well.

Lee Sang-mu of CJ Entertainment said, "Some Korean films even are careful that their release won’t coincide with foreign blockbusters. Strong performance of foreign movies will continue through the release of ‘Harry Potter.’ "

The biggest problem is there are no strong standout domestic movies to compete with foreign blockbusters. According to Lee Won-u, an official of film distributor Cinema Service, "It was a rare case for domestic movies to be dramatically defeated by their foreign counterparts during the summer season until now, but there is no leading title this year like ‘The Host,’ as in last summer.

The Korean movie industry set a record by producing over 100 films last year, and there were several successful titles such as Hanbando, The Host, 200-pound Beauty, and Maundy Thursday [sic]. However, as filmmakers competed to make movies, marketing expenses skyrocketed, lowering profitability. As a result, producers are now hesitant to give the go-ahead on new projects, and have balked at making any new investments from the beginning of this year. Only two major blockbuster-style films - both historical dramas - were made this year so far, Hwang Jin Yi and May 18. Hwan Jin Yi is about the title character, a talented gisaeng or female entertainer working at a high-class drinking club during the 16th century, and the backdrop of May 18 is the bloody pro-democracy uprising that happened in Gwangju in 1980.

Experts mention the lack of new subject matter and diversified genres as another reason for domestic movies’ defeat. Films released this year included many conventional ones for the Korean film scene - gangster or crime dramas, family stories, and comedies, such as My Son, Mr. Lee vs Mr. Lee, Master Kims [sic], The Show Must Go On, and Meet Mr. Daddy.

Shim Hui-jang, marketing director of iFilm, a film production company, said, "Even if the taste of audiences has changed, most [Korean] movies released in the early part of this year just looked like copies of those produced previously."

Merely trying to use star power is also not piquing the interest of Korean moviegoers, observers of the film industry said.

Others blamed the poor performance of the Korean film industry on a reliance on the popularity of Korean cultural products outside of the country but particularly in the rest of Asia, a phenomenon called the ‘Korean Wave’ or hallyu. Kim Bong-seok, a movie critic, said, "The domestic film industry has just depended on the Korean wave and thus has been sluggish for the past two years."

Source: The Hankyoreh

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edi...ent/211737.html

200200769.jpg

source from sbs : korean films in cannes 07 [ which include the premier of secret sunshine and interview with JDY]

mms://newsvod.sbs.co.kr/nw/0123/nw0123c152592.asf

=

source sina.com

press conference of secret sunshine in cannes [hm this take a while to load .when i saw it .was still working quite okay er now it seem abit too slow --;; ]

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/bn/2007-05-24/235713135.html

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/bn/2007-05-24/235713135.html

'Secret Sunshine' Impresses at Cannes

Sunday, May 27, 2007 14:58:12

2007052703bigrc9.jpg

Film magazines have lauded the Korean film "Secret Sunshine," which is competing for the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

Director Lee Chang-dong's movie is considered a contender for the top prize. His female lead Jeon Do-yeon is also a candidate for the top actress award, winning praise from Reuters and a French daily.

Also in the running for the top actress award is Zia, who stars in "Breath" by another Korean director Kim Ki-duk.

The festival ends Sunday.

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...;key=2007052703

May 27, 2007

'Secret Sunshine' Steals Limelight in Cannes

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia

Staff Reporter

16225gd8.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-youn, left, and actor Song Gang-ho,

stars in director Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine,"

smile brightly for the cameras at Cannes.

The 60th Cannes Film Festival closed Sunday. / Yonhap

Korean actress Jeon Do-youn is reaping critical acclaim from foreign critics, for her role in "Secret Sunshine" (Miryang) which was screened at the prestigious 60th Cannes Film Festival.

Since it was screened last week, "Secret Sunshine" has emerged as one of the leading contenders for the top prize, the Palme d'Or. Winners will be announced when the event ends on Sunday evening in France.

A New York Times article heaped praises on the film directed by Lee Chang-dong, a former culture minister.

Jeon was singled out for her depiction of a young widow who moves to her late husband's hometown. The article said Jeon gave one of the strongest female performances in the festival, hinting she may even win the best female performance award. "Jeon's portrayal of a meek soul in torment is a tour de force," the New York Times said.

Film industry journal Variety described Jeon's performance as "finely detailed." "Jeon's convinced playing, a trademark of the chameleon actress, keeps 'Sunshine' watchable but can't inject real tension and drama on its own. On screen almost the whole time, Jeon carries the picture virtually single-handedly," it said.

If Jeon wins, she will be the first Korean actress to win an award at the Cannes Film Festival. Jeon is already a popular and multi-awarded actress in Korea, but is little known overseas.

There have been a handful of Korean actresses who have won awards in international film festivals. Kang Soo-yeon won the best actress award for the film "Sibaji" at the 1987 Venice International Film Festival.

Moon So-ri also won the best new actress award for her role in "Oasis" at the 2002 Venice International Film Festival. Moon received good reviews for her role as a woman with cerebral palsy in the film, which was also directed by Lee Chang-dong.

Jeon has won several domestic acting awards for her roles in films such as "Harmonium in My Memory" and "My Mother The Mermaid." She also appeared in the hit SBS drama "Lovers in Prague" in 2005.

In 2006, Jeon received the best leading actress award at the 43rd Taejong (Grand Bell) Film Festival for her role as a HIV/AIDS-stricken waitress in and "You are My Sunshine!" directed by Park Jin-pyo.

The local film industry is expecting that should either Jeon or the film win, it will provide a great boost to local cinema, which has been sliding recently.

Aside from "Secret Sunshine," another Korean film "Breath" by director Kim Ki-duk is also vying for the Palme d'Or. There are over 20 films competing for the top prize at Cannes.

In 2004, the film "Old Boy," directed by Park Chan-wook, won the Grand Prix, the second place honor at the Cannes. It was the first Korean film to win one of the top prizes at the prestigious festival.

cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

Source: The Korea Times

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2...5/135_3612.html

A little late posting of more red carpet pics -- btw, Cannes is one day later than Asia, right... wonder how the Awards final results will be? All the best to Secret Sunshine & Jeon Do Yeon especially. Whatever comes their way, the movie is already a clear winner & strong favourite in the hearts of Cannes crowd and critics.

'Hi' hopes May 26, 2007

25220242dj0.jpg

South Korean director Lee Chang-dong and cast members Jeon Do-yeon and Song Kang-ho arrive Thursday at the Cannes Film Festival in France for the gala screening for their film “Secret Sunshine,” the only Korean film of 22 nominated for the top prize. The awards will be announced on Sunday. [REUTERS/YONHAP]

Source: English JoongAng Daily, empas.com

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2875971

news111131122mdb5.jpg

363240du7.jpg

OMG~~ YES SHE WON !!

JEON DO YEON IS BEST ACTRESS FOR CANNES 2007

the results was just annouced a few minutes ago !!!

2007052801465822923_015956_0.jpg

JDY at tonite cermony !! AHH now this is worth for me to wait up so late for the results !! >YES!!

U1584P28T3D1572811F326DT20070528021352.jpg

20070528040503.439.0.jpg

South Korea's Jeon wins Cannes best actress prize

CANNES, France, May 27, 2007 (AFP) - South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon, who stars in the tragic movie on death and faith, "Secret Sunshine," won the Cannes filmfest's best actress award Sunday.

The 34-year-old actress was considered a favourite for her brave performance as a grieving wife and mother in the South Korean melodrama ("Milyang" in Korean), the first picture in four years by Lee Chang-dong, a former South Korean culture minister.

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp...;story_id=40238

pic credit to daum

Archived