Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

January 5, 2017

Gang is at his best when out of his element
‘For me, filmmaking has become a hobby,’ says star of ‘Master’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

04201524.jpg

It was a prolific year for actor Gang Dong-won. The 36-year-old says he finds acting as fun as a hobby. [CJ ENTERTAINMENT]

Actor Gang Dong-won has rarely been in a movie that wasn’t a commercial success.

That is, until this year. “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned” was a bold experiment for Gang. He would’ve chosen to star in it even if he could go back in time and do it again. But with “Master,” he had a chance to try something new - play the role of detective, which he has never done before.

The crime-action film, directed by Cho Ui-seok, is about an crime investigation team led by Gang’s character (Kim Jae-myung) and their investigation of a fraud case in the corporate world.

The story is reminiscent of what is happening in Korea now: the scandal involving President Park Geun-hye, her confidante, Choi Soon-sil, and conglomerates.

Below is an edited excerpt of an interview with Gang, conducted recently by Ilgan Sports, a Korea JoongAng Daily affiliate.

Q. It seems the release of the film occurred at an appropriate time. Do you agree?

A. In fact, we were concerned as the whole country is gripped by [the political scandal]. In November, moviegoers decreased 30 percent [compared to the month prior]. I actually felt the decline personally with the release of “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned.” But I actually think that all those circumstances are the fate of a film.

Many people say it’s so similar to “Inside Men” (2015). What do you think?

I saw the cartoon version of “Inside Men” and the film. But I feel “Master” is very different. “Master” is lighter and its theme is clear. It’s about the triumph of good over evil. But there’s humor here and there. I personally don’t like films that are too brutal.

What was your chemistry like with Lee Byung-hun?

There weren’t many scenes where he and I conflicted. But I felt that he was born to act. I observed him a lot. I actually like observing people. I found him to be a little eccentric, too. He also has a good sense of humor.

Did you ever seek acting advice from him?

Some people do, but personally I’ve never really been the type that seeks acting advice. It’s also a little vague. Newbie or veteran, we are all here to work together so I believe we should respect one another. There are cases when veteran actors keep saying this and that about performances by amateur actors. That can be quite difficult.

You’re known for your style, as well. In fact, Lee is said to have been curious about all your outfits during your shoot in the Philippines. Is there a costume that you felt particularly attached to?

I have to say the priestly robe that I wore for “The Priest.” I thought clothes are merely clothes and props are just tools. But as soon as I put on the robe, I felt its weight. 

It was so different. I’ve never really wore a policeman’s uniform. I did wear a prisoner’s uniform and I did not like it (laughs).

This is your first detective character. How was it?

I actually wanted to play a detective for some time. In my 20s, I didn’t get any detective roles. As I entered my 30s, I felt that I was ready. Perhaps it’s the kind of confidence people feel when they reach their mid-30s. I also feel more open-minded than before.

Do you think confidence is important?

Yes. I always believed confidence is crucial for an actor. I think Korean education is designed to discourage people. But there was a friend of mine who was extremely confident. I was very much influenced by that friend. Also, when you have to act in front of hundreds of people, you need confidence.

Do you consider yourself a workaholic?

Actually, for me, filmmaking has become a hobby. I love talking about scripts with co-workers and creating characters with them. I also feel less stressed than before.

What’s your ultimate goal in life?

Being happy, but I want everyone in my life to be happy, as well. In the past, I thought we all live our own lives. But I don’t think that way anymore. I don’t want to be happy when others aren’t.

BY CHO YEON-GYEONG [hkim@joongang.co.kr] 

• Like 2

BOX OFFICE

14th day of screening (2017.01.03) =  135,651 viewers

accumulating =  5,759,067 viewers

36e.jpg

15th day of screening (2017.01.04) =  102,182 viewers

accumulating =  5,861,249 viewers

36n.jpg

16th day of screening (2017.01.05) =  92,108 viewers

accumulating =  5,953,357 viewers

36f.jpg

source

------------------------

Master new poster and stills

4v0.jpg

4ut.jpg

5n9.jpg

Spoiler

5n8.jpg

5nh.jpg

4us.jpg

4v1.jpg

5ng.jpg

zipcinema

17th day of screening (2017.01.06) =  105,140 viewers

accumulating =  6,058,930 viewers

f1k.jpg

18th day of screening (2017.01.07) =  236,181 viewers

accumulating =  6,295,111 viewers

f1c.jpg

source

---------------------

Master Review

A financial thriller with top-billed cast

5 January 2017 | by Hasi (Melbourne, Australia) – See all my reviews

It is rare to find three top-billed cast in a single South Korean movie, which probably explains why 'Master' shot up to the top of the box-office charts and attracted 5 million viewers in the first two weeks in the home country.

This financial thriller revolves around President Jin (Lee Byung- hun), of One Network who is heading a pyramid scheme. He is a cold- hearted, greedy con man who plays the most complex character as he brings up the main theme of the story. Park Jang Goon (Kim Woo-bin) plays an expert systems manager who seems to shift loyalties between police and villains multiple times. Kim binds the two characters of Lee and Kang together and plays a witty, two-dimensional character. Kim Jae Myung (Kang Dong-won) is an obligatory police captain who plots to catch the bad guys and bring justice to the innocent people who were scammed. I personally find Kang's character the best and his exceptional performance in this movie is absolutely remarkable. The bromance among the three characters is not to be missed.

The storyline flows fast while building some degree of suspense, especially towards the latter part. However, half of the running time shows how one double-crosses another and the story to circle around itself without getting anywhere. There are a few action scenes and nothing brutal. Neither any sort of romance is involved.

The movie is shot in South Korea initially and moves to Manilla, Philipines towards the latter.

I definitely recommend this movie to everyone who enjoys thrillers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5735464/

---------------------------------

[Pannatic] Will Goblin still be able to get high viewership ratings even if the casts are different?

-If those were the casts, I wouldn't even remember the plot and the only think I could think of is probably about how handsome they look..

-No.. Song Joongki doesn't suit Yoo Deokhwa's character..

-I personally think the original casts are already good enough..

-I like the current casts..ㅎㅎㅎ

-Their visuals are really good, but I like the current casts..

-No one can suit the Goblin's role better than Gongkkaebi..

-I personally think the current casts are better..

-Then who would play Ji Euntak's role? -Me -Do you want to return back into ashes..?

-I think the viewership ratings will be higher if these were the casts!!

-It's possible.. But the current casts are already good enough..

-Whoa.. The whole drama would look like a movie if those were the casts..

-Why.. I like the current casts..

-I thought the guy in the first gif was Ji Changwook..

-I think the viewership ratings will be over 30%..?

-It's impossible..

-It's possible..

-I have a feeling there would be tons of PPL in the drama if those were the castsㅋㅋㅋ

-The female character is important as well..

-Who's the guy in the first gif..?

-Kang Dongwon..ㅠㅠㅠ

-It's impossible.. The current casts are already good enough..

https://pannative.blogspot.com/2017/01/will-goblin-still-able-to-get-high.html

---------------------

[Pann-Choa] [instiz] IF THIS WAS THE CAST FOR GOBLIN CAN VIEWERS RATING HIT 40% YES/NO

c9771e17fa315bdfbba2a4c9cc291ee0.gif

Grim reaper

post response: +9

original post: here

1. I don't think they'll hit 40% if it was cable drama..

2. I really really really like Kang Dongwon, but Lee Dongwook is our grim reaperㅠㅠ 

3. This casting is movie level I like itㅋㅋㅋ 

4. You get the movie-feel right away I think it'll hit daebak

5. If they made a movie adaptation later, I hope they'll use this!

6. I think it'll be hard, the casting right now is pretty strong already..

7. Of course it can, this casting is movie-level

8. If Kang Dongwon did the grim reaper, imagine how cool he would be ㅠㅠㅠ

9. I'll stop breathing if Kang Dongwon was the grim reaper! But I like the one we have now tooㅎㅎ 

10. OMG that grim reaper..

http://pann-choa.blogspot.com/2017/01/instiz-if-this-was-cast-for-goblin-can.html

[CLEO SG] Master Interview

http://www.cleo.com.sg/guys/celeb-guys/kim-woobin-gang-dongwon-master-singapore-interview/?slide=4

Take a look at the line- up in Korean movie Master and you can already tell it’s going to be a blockbuster. The movie, directed by Cold Eyes director Cho Uiseok, stars Lee Byunghun, Kang Dongwon and Kim Woobin – basically three of the most popular Korean actors right now.

Centered around a con artist (Lee Byunghun), the mastermind he works for (Kim Woobin) and a detective (Kang Dongwon), the movie has topped charts in South Korea since it opened in December. And with a star-studded cast and talented director, we wouldn’t be surprised if the movie fares just as well in Singapore when it hits the silver screen tomorrow at Golden Village cinemas.

In town to promote the movie, Dongwon, Woobin and director Uiseok spoke about memorable moments  filming the movie, including shooting in the slums of the Philippines.

While the end product, i.e. the movie, will leave you in awe, the director revealed that filming in the slums was fraught with difficulties. He said, “The weather was bad. Whenever we were about to do something, it would start raining. It was really tough because we had limited time and we had to finish shooting quickly before the monsoon season came. A lot of things happened throughout the filming – like Dongwon getting injured and all.”

He added, “It would take me one full day to tell you everything that happened.”

On the other hand, for Dongwon and Woobin, filming there evoked a different kind of emotions. Dongwon shared, “I have mixed feelings about that area because it makes me think of different things. Like what you said, it’s the slums and it’s a tough environment but the children were playing innocently, so that made me think a lot.”

Woobin concurred, “As mentioned [by the director], it was a tough and challenging environment. Aside from the weather, there was a slaughterhouse beside [the location], so it was quite tough. But after a few days, we got used to it and started playing and eating everything there.” And as Dongwon said, “the children there were playing innocently. They looked bright, cheerful and happy, so it made me think a lot. Also, I was working with local actors and staff. I made me think, we’re all from different backgrounds but throughout the filming, I realised we’re all the same.”

Scroll through the gallery for more interview answers.

Master opens in Golden Village cinemas from January 13, 2017. It will be available on tvN Movies (StarHub TV Channel 818) in the second half of 2017.

ncn.jpg

mk5.jpg

ncm.jpg

ncs.jpg

ncu.jpg

mkc.jpg

ncv.jpg

mk4.jpg

mkd.jpg

• Like 1

January 12, 2017

Glass shards to the face and having to dance without music
All in a day’s work for Korean actors Kim Woo-Bin and Gang Dong-Won

BY HON JING YI honjingyi@mediacorp.com.sg TODAYonline

28485837.JPG?itok=7JcmqW4L

From left: Actors Kim Woo-Bin and Gang Dong-Won and director Cho Ui-Seok laugh as they talk about their filming experiences during a media conference for action flick Master. Photo: Hon Jing Yi/TODAY

SINGAPORE — Movie-making is a tough business — just ask Gang Dong-Won and Kim Woo-Bin.

The Korean stars, who were in Singapore on Thursday (Jan 12) with director Cho Ui-Seok to promote their latest movie Master, faced multiple challenges shooting the action flick. In addition to picking up skills like boxing, the cast and crew had to spend days in a hot and crowded slum in Manila, where it would often rain just before shoots began.

“It was a tough and challenging environment,” Kim, 27, said about his experience filming in Manila, with the help of a translator. “Aside from the hot weather, there was a slaughterhouse next to (our set), so that was tough. But after a few days, we got used to it, so we started shooting and eating together and it was fine. We also saw children playing in the slums, and they looked so happy and cheerful it made me think a lot (about how they lived).”

Gang and co-star Lee Byung-hun also injured themselves while shooting action scenes on the set of Master, which tells the story of a detective (Gang) who is determined to take down the mastermind (Lee) of a massive pyramid scheme with the help of a genius coder (Kim).

Even though he left the most dangerous scenes to stuntmen, Gang was injured by glass while shooting an explosion scene. Lee, who did not attend the media conference in Singapore, sprained his neck and shoulder.

“The gunpowder was too strong (in the explosion we were filming) and the glass hit my face. I saw my face bleeding and went, ‘wow, this is terrible’,” Gang recounted, speaking in English. “I sat and waited... (Everyone was) shocked, and nobody touched me. Everybody was just watching me, so I had to (pull the shards out) myself.”

The 35-year-old, who sustained small cuts on his face and still has a scar under his chin from the accident, said Cho felt so guilty over the accident, he apologised to his mother several times.

“Whenever reporters ask him about this accident, I feel so sorry. But Gang has a really good attitude so he just laughs it off,” Cho said. “I felt like I was injuring a national treasure.”

While Kim was spared from boxing lessons and facial-scarring injuries, he had his own set of difficulties to contend with. The actor, who’s starred in shows such as Friends 2 and The Heirs, had to dance “like Beyonce” for the camera.

“I am not good at singing or dancing in front of people. And at that point in our shoot I was not close to the crew yet, so I couldn’t rehearse the scene on the spot. Instead, I spent the night before practising in front of a camera. I showed it to the director the next morning, and he liked it. I tried to channel as much as Beyonce as I could,” Kim quipped.

Even though no one apart from the costume designer could tell that Kim was actually trying to dance like Beyonce, Cho seemed to appreciate the actor’s efforts.

“There was no background music, so he had to dance while the crew (just) stared at him,” the director said.

Master opens in theatres in Singapore on Jan 13.

• Like 2