For Those Of You That Are Not Korean, How Do Your Parents React When They Find Out You Listen To Kor

Guest psquare6806

Guest CriticalHit

They don't really care.

My family is pure cantonese, but we still watch Full House at dinnertime. Well my parents need to change the language into cantonese lol but they don't really have a bad or good reaction, they just don't care. They treat it as if i'm just reading a book or something.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clemie186

I honestly don't remember what their first reaction was when they found out..

but they were watching korean dramas on tv, a few years back before I started being all Chinese and took note of Japanese and Korean culture.

But my family would be like ... " are you watching a korean/japanese movie/drama again?" every once in a while..

It's not awkward or anything.. I'm chinese and when I first started getting into chinese stuff, they didn't mind, as long as it boosted my interest in my own culture...

then I started getting into Japanese and Korean media... they really don't mind, just another step of becoming more asian and less white washed i guess...

Guest HERMIT

Well, let's put it this way: my mom has 4 Shinhwa posters up on her bedroom wall and my dad bumps BoA in his mini van.

:mellow:

"I that Korean or Japanese Music you listening to?"

I used to be UBER obssesed with J-Pop a while ago, so now that I tell them that I listen to K-Music they always ask this question when they want to tell me something xD;

For K-Drama, there okay, cause they Canto dubbed Korean Drama's on TV x]

Guest DOUBLE

Uhh they don't really care. o__o;;; Actually my mom and grandmother likes some of the music and watches gameshows & gayos with me sometimes. They can only take so much if we're listening to a CD in the car during a long trip, though. 8D

Well, before I got into Korean music, I was into Japanese music. My parents were kinda freaked out by the J-Rock world, and began to think I held Asian music (and thus, Asian people) in a higher esteem than American music and people..which is ridiculous.

When I got into the Korean music scene, my father sometimes made comments about how they're alright, but they're not real: 'they have no real talent, they just imitate what came from here' but my mother dove headfirst into the culture with me--she's come to concerts with me, listens to the Korean music on her mp3 player when she runs, and watches Korean dramas with me.

<3Stephanie

At first they were questioning me about why the heck I would listen to something that I cannot speak… same with my siblings. They often say things in Korean (that aren’t even Korean words) just to tease me, or something. They already watch Korean dramas (except dubbed -__-”) so they don’t usually say anything, but just if there’s no subs or something… they would be like.. Errr.. -_-” I just say I understand a bit, soo. :/

I think they’re just used to it now. ^^ They still question, but they don’t really mind. It’s not damaging my health so they don’t mind. =D Hopefully they’ll accept me doing Korean in Uni next year, though :x if I get in. Sighh.

Guest xpiyo

my parents don't mind. my mom actually like korean dramas and their clothes and stuff too. :) my dad thinks i'm a bit obsessed.. haha

Guest forgottenmemories

I've listened to korean music and watched korean dramas since the 6th grade, at first my parents were pretty skeptical about it, they thought it was a cry for attention? Lol. But now, they don't really care.

Guest ladiixxpreciious

my parents dont mind haha. my mom actually bugs me and goes SO DO YOU HAVE ANY NEW DRAMAS?

my sister and brother call me a freak though >< they think korean music is annoying.

Guest immaperson

My entire family and i have tolerated my sister's obsession with anime and japanese songs for years...so when i started to play korean songs instead of my sister's japanese ones out loud at home my parents just went "wait....is this song japanese?"

Guest mikahla

My parents don't care either. My mom was pretty interested in k music before and they do watch k dramas from time to time.

Archived