K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Guest Elusive

i don't think YA has released a drama in widescreen. i was wondering too about Goong. that's why i could never delete the episodes i downloaded from clubbox ... just in case YA's version is full screen *ugh*

Maybe I'm weird, but this makes me almost as disappointed as I was when I found out Goong 2 will have a completely different cast.

I'm so annoyed, this just fueled my desire to learn Korean seriously and I just purchased a Korean book and CD online. Maybe one day I'll learn enough Korean that I can kind of follow Kdrama episodes without needing subs. Haha, I wish.

This K-drama obsession is costing me too much. :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone compared the YA Ent released episode lengths with the SDTV/HDTV ripped version of the episodes online to see whether any scenes were cut from the drama?

The rented tapes/dvds at the Korean video rental store has scenes cut from the episodes of the dramas (and this applies to dramas from all 3 stations), and it makes me wonder when YA received license for the dramas, did their source from the station came from these that the station provided to the Korean video rental stores?

Besides that, I've purchased drama DVD sets from Korea (Korea distributed), and though the set doesn't advertise that it includes deleted scenes, I actually find that it will include scenes within the episode itself that were never even found on the SDTV/HDTV rips online (the original broadcast in Korea) itself (examples include SBS' Hanoi Bride and KBS HDTV Literature Series Vol 2). In other words, even the station in Korea edits the episode to fit within their own timeslot to air on TV.

If that's the case, it actually might be a bonus to buy the Korea DVD sets of the dramas even if the set isn't english subbed, because we'd get those deleted scenes (that even the online rips doesn't have), not to mention the extras that we would never be able to get on the YA releases.

Yesasia lists the YA Entertainment DVD set for Goong as having a ratio aspect of 4:3...that's standard. Will that change when the set becomes available for pre-order as more info is provided? And was the rented DVDs/tapes of Goong also in 4:3?

I know that the rented DVDs/tapes for Over the Rainbow are in 16:9 (anamorphic/widescreen), which is similar to the aspect ratio of HDTV.

question: for those who purchased the Alone In Love set ... how are the subs?

I've watched the first 3-4 episodes and so far the subs are very good. In some ways, better than the fansubs, so I'm REALLY glad I purchased this one! Well worth it!

RE: the aspect ratio on dramas released on DVD. I don't know about the Korean version for "Goong", but I'm sure the "My Girl" DVDs are 4:3. So, if YesAsia is releasing MG in 4:3, they're probably just using the same source the K-version did. As for "Goong", though, weird they'd put that one out full-screen. Maybe whoever it is 'round here that has contacts at YesAsia could find out why? Maybe that's the only way the Korean TV station will let them release it? The other question being, has YesAsia EVER put out a set that was widescreen?

Guest Elusive

As for "Goong", though, weird they'd put that one out full-screen. Maybe whoever it is 'round here that has contacts at YesAsia could find out why? Maybe that's the only way the Korean TV station will let them release it? The other question being, has YesAsia EVER put out a set that was widescreen?

I emailed Tom Larsen yesterday asking him why this was, but I haven't received a reply yet. I told him that if I had to choose between 16:9 WS and a few NGs, I'd go for WS just because I thought it was more important, plus, if it were to cost money, I supposed the widescreen masters would cost less than the NGs.

I really don't think they can get masters of Goong 1.5 at this point... it's just wishful thinking. Speaking of which, I told him that if they bought the rights to distribute Goong 1.5 on a separate DVD, even for $25, I would totally buy it. :D

I'm glad to see all this talk about aspect ratio because I thought I was starting to look crazy. Goong is too pretty a drama to have 30% of its sides cropped off. It's just terrible!

Guest Elusive

Regarding selling extras in a separate DVD, I think it would be a good idea so that people who aren't really interested in it won't need to pay an extra $20 or so for a box set that includes yet.

I emailed Katie some time ago, asking if they'd ever re-release My Lovely Sam-soon in WS and with extras, since it consistently does well on their top TV drama sales rankings (so it is still popular).

This is what she said:

We are not currently thinking of re-releasing any upgraded version of it any

time soon. That sort of thing tends to be received poorly by fans that have

already purchased the previous copy of the title. I know some people would

pay for the "new and improved box set", but the majority of the fans

wouldn't be able to afford the purchase. So if we ever were able to receive

some extra footage, we would probably just include it as an extra in another

title or as something free.

As generous as that sounds, I think it would make sense to just release it separately, so that only the people who really want it can get it. Even Japan has released $30 DVDs that contain only film special features.

Guest Elusive

Tom's reply:

=====

Sorry, I removed the email because he told me about some people reposting his email on some forums and his statements were taken out of context, and I felt bad.

When I asked him for clarification, he said that MBC did intend to send YAE the WS masters (yay! at least they were willing), but YAE were sent the wrong one for one reason or another. :( He would've requested the correct master but he was on a deadline with the DVD set and therefore had no choice.

=====

:( :( :( He didn't mention any extras either.

What is it with MBC that they won't give WS masters? I don't get their logic. It's not like they're releasing their own English subbed DVDs. Is it that hard to ship over the WS master instead of the FS master? I mean, seriously!

This is all so frustrating!

By the way... I haven't looked into HK versions of Kdrama DVDs, but do they release their own versions? I'd figure that they'd have pretty good subs.

mj07, thanks for the Alone in Love feedback. for a set that costs over $100 ... i wanted to make sure that it's worth it first :sweatingbullets:

Elusive, thanks for the update from Tom Larsen. well that's just VERY disappointing. i'm not hating on YA at all ... i'm very disappointed, frustrated and my DVD-geek heart is broken that MBC didn't let them get the Widescreen masters :tears:

Goong on full-screen?! :tears:

mj07, thanks for the Alone in Love feedback. for a set that costs over $100 ... i wanted to make sure that it's worth it first :sweatingbullets:

you're welcome! I've yet to get back and finishe [re]watching that one! There's a thread for "Alone in Love" and I think a few other people agreed that the subs are pretty good. Same goes for X's review on Twitch. He wrote "(pretty good, but not extraordinary) English Subtitles"… You should also know that the extras are also subbed! Pretty cool, since there are two discs of those!

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/007393.html

and i've been desperately looking for MISA DVDs ... but it's out of stock everywhere. i hope they'll release more soon. i now regret that i didn't buy the set back then :(

If you really want it, and price doesn't matter...here's a site that charges somewhat $20-$50 more than other retailers, but they still have it in stock. I think shipping is costly, as well. :)

http://www.asiandb.com/store/detail.pfm?num=4078

FYI I think a lot of the discs asiandb sells are boots. Though they're called the Chinese versions, I don't think they're officially licensed. Guy at my video store calls it "gray market" and tries to avoid stocking them. I could be wrong, but… just be forewarned.

By the way... I haven't looked into HK versions of Kdrama DVDs, but do they release their own versions? I'd figure that they'd have pretty good subs.

hk versions..i don't think they had released their own version with good subs unless u r talking abt the china bootleg versions-the one that bootleg korean versions dvds with eng subs..

but i think the legit malaysian versions is pretty good with their eng subs..i heard my girl n goong had descent subs..i recently bought a taiwanese series, prince turns into a frog (the malaysian version), and i must say im satisfied with the eng subs..

FYI I think a lot of the discs asiandb sells are boots. Though they're called the Chinese versions, I don't think they're officially licensed. Guy at my video store calls it "gray market" and tries to avoid stocking them. I could be wrong, but… just be forewarned.

i think the site has half n half...they sell some bootlegs (gosh ridiculous price-90 bucks for bootlegs copies) and some authentic ones..

i think if u want to purchase from this site, u have to read the publisher's name, inof, etc..

you're welcome! I've yet to get back and finishe [re]watching that one! There's a thread for "Alone in Love" and I think a few other people agreed that the subs are pretty good. Same goes for X's review on Twitch. He wrote "(pretty good, but not extraordinary) English Subtitles"… You should also know that the extras are also subbed! Pretty cool, since there are two discs of those!

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/007393.html

woah ... subbed special features? that's cool :D

i feel hesitant on buying from asiandb too - like clauric, i've seen bootleg DVDs sold there for ridiculous prices. i'll just wait for MISA from dvdfromkorea *keeps fingers crossed they'll get MISA DVDs soon*

i've seen the Malaysian Goong DVDs - so are the subs decent? (i remember the subs from the Malaysian edition of All About Eve gave me a headache) if they're as good as the fansubs - i think i'd rather buy that than YA's - i think the Malaysian edition is widescreen. :(

asiandb is a legit retailer...and they sell BOTH the chinese and korean versions. the version i suggested above is the korean release of MISA. the only reason why i don't purchase from them, is cause of their high prices.

@Elusive and/or Chula,

can you please bring "Seo Dong Yo" vol.1 to Tom Larsen, attention...

I was planning to buy this @yesasia eventhough its really expensive @99.99...

but not anymore after having read the feedback/review, two had been complaining of poor english subtitling.

hopefully he can do something about this.

thanks.

@Elusive and/or Chula,

can you please bring "Seo Dong Yo" vol.1 to Tom Larsen, attention...

I was planning to buy this @yesasia eventhough its really expensive @99.99...

but not anymore after having read the feedback/review, two had been complaining of poor english subtitling.

hopefully he can do something about this.

thanks.

i doubt that Tom n YA have anything to do with this dvd because it's released by SBS not YA entertainment..i don't know if YA have any plans to release a YA version since they r selling the SBS version in the US website unless if it's in demand by a lot of ppl for YA to release better eng subs than the current SBS version..

tom is working for YA entertainment.. and i think yesasia would not be responsible for the poor english subs because yesasia is just an online store...

asiandb is a legit retailer...and they sell BOTH the chinese and korean versions.

Pls note, I didn't say that EVERYTHING they sell is bootlegged. They may or may not be legit, but the "Chinese versions" are frequently boots.

For example, the drama "Stranger than Heaven" just ended a couple weeks ago, but they already have a Hong Kong version listed for purchase: http://www.asiandb.com/store/detail.pfm?num=5531

5531.jpg

With a cover like this, I can't believe it's legit. It doesn't even have the TV station's logo on it.

Just saying, buyer beware.

would anyone know where I can purchase the following DVD set online (that is reliable and ships to the US)?

Kanryu Ai no Gekijo (韓流 愛の劇場) DVD Box set

4510840273190np8.jpg

it consists of 4 KBS Drama City episodes

I know the Yesasia Global site sells it, but since I'm in the US, I can't buy from Yesasia.

Has anyone compared the YA Ent released episode lengths with the SDTV/HDTV ripped version of the episodes online to see whether any scenes were cut from the drama?

I've been wondering this as well. I have not been able to compare, since I normally delete dramas I've downloaded once I purchase the DVD set (whether it be YA, or the official Korean versions)... I recently purchased YA's Sweet Spy (still in shrink-wrap) because the Korean version does not have english subs... I still have some eps of this drama, so I will compare and post here when get the chance.

off topic, but anyone know about a DVD release for Bad Family?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived