Im Soo Jung 임수정

Guest luckycarrienew

April 13, 2018

Lim Soo-jung on the role of mothers and more

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

12211133.jpg
[ILGAN SPORTS]

While filming the upcoming movie “Mothers” actor Lim Soo-jung has been mulling over the idea of what kind of mother she will eventually be. In the film, which is set to hit theaters on Thursday, Lim plays a widow named Hyo-jin who is asked to raise the child of her late husband, whom she had no idea even existed. 

In the movie, Hyo-jin lives alone while running a small study room in her neighborhood after she lost her husband in an accident two years prior. Then, out of the blue, her brother-in-law brings a 16-year-old boy to Hyo-jin and tells her that he is the child of Hyo-jin’s late husband.

She asks Hyo-jin to take care of him as the boy doesn’t have anywhere else to go. At first, Hyo-jin wants to say no, but she ends up deciding to take him despite concerns from her mom and friends. The two, who have never met before, have troubles from the start and the boy even runs away from Hyo-jin’s home. 

The movie shows many different mother characters including Hyo-jin and her own mother, who worries about her daughter taking on the challenge of raising a boy. There are also other mothers in the movie, such as a mom who wants a child, but can’t have one, or a mother who has given birth, but doesn’t want to raise a child. 

Lim held a press conference with the cast of the film Wednesday to talk about how the movie has caused her to think about being a mother, having a family and her lifestyle. The following are edited excerpts from the event.

Q. How does this movie inspire you in regard to motherhood?

A. As I filmed this movie, I thought about my mom. I also started to think about what I would do if I became a mom. There are things I need to think about, because [being a mom] is only possible when I get married and have a kid. I don’t know when I will get married and when I will give birth. 

Do you want to get married?

People say you meet someone that you naturally come to think as your future life partner, but I haven’t had that moment. I never think that I would live alone for life, and I never have thought that I need to hurry to get married. Time has just happened to fly by and I haven’t met that life partner yet. 

What kind of mom do you think you want to be?

I don’t know what mom I would be. I don’t think I will be able to sacrifice as much for my family and kids as my own mother has done. I think I will try to follow in her footsteps. 

Why did you decide to become a vegan?

For my health. I took a food allergy test, and it turns out that I had an allergic reaction to animal protein. I had the strongest reaction to milk, cheese, yogurt and eggs, so I became vegan and now I don’t consume any animal protein. Sometimes I fail to keep up with the diet when I am on the job, but it’s been three years and I’ve become used to it. I think my body is more balanced than before. I will continue doing this as long as I find it enjoyable. 

Are you worried that your movie will compete with big Hollywood blockbusters like “Avengers: Infinity War?”

“Mothers” and “Avengers” are quite different in size. “Mothers” is a low-budget art movie and “Avengers” is made with a big budget for entertainment. 

BY PARK JUNG-SUN [summerlee@joongang.co.kr]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 20, 2018

April Movie Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

Spoiler

son-ye-jin-lee-el-song-ji-hyo.jpg

On April 21, the Korean Business Research Institute published the April results for brand reputation rankings among movie actors.

The Institute analyzed 168,451,438 sources of data from 50 film actors during the period between March 19 to April 20. The amount of data was a 9.92 percent decrease from last month’s rankings.

Just like last month, Son Ye Jin ranked first with a score of 13,803,906. This is a 23.35 percent increase from last month’s score, and the boost is likely from the success of her JTBC drama “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food.”

April was a strong month for actresses, as Lee El and Song Ji Hyo rounded out the Top 3 with scores of 10,065,225 and 9,883,375 respectively. The two actresses starred in the recently released film “What A Man Wants” together.

The top 30 rankings are as follows:

1. Son Ye Jin
2. Lee El
3. Song Ji Hyo
4. Gong Yoo
5. So Ji Sub
6. Lee Sun Gyun
7. Jang Dong Gun
8. Yoo Ah In
9. Kim Myung Min
10. Lee Sung Min
11. Lee Byung Hun
12. Ryu Jun Yeol
13. Lee Seung Gi
14. Lee Jong Suk
15. Park Seo Joon
16. Kwak Do Won
17. Kim Ok Bin
18. Oh Yeon Seo
19. Shin Ha Kyun
20. Lee Soon Jae
21. Im Soo Jung
22. Kim Tae Ri
23. Kim Soo Hyun
24. Jung Woo Sung
25. Ma Dong Seok
26. Kim Tae Hoon
27. Lee Jung Jae
28. Lee Joon Hyuk
29. Go Chang Suk
30. Park Sun Young

Source (1) (2)

• 1 year later...

February 19, 2019

Im Soo-jung to Play Ambitious Career Woman in New TV Series

Source: The Chosun Ilbo via HanCinema.net

photo1036640.jpg

Actress Im Soo-jung will return to the small screen with the new TV series "Search: WWW" on cable channel tvN, her management agency said on Monday.

It will be her first TV series since she appeared in "Chicago Typewriter" two years ago.

Im plays a single woman in her late 30s who works for a big IT company. By nature extremely confident and competitive, she won't let herself fail at anything.

The upcoming series will portray present-day women who focus on their careers and fight to overcome discrimination and other obstacles to success.

The series is scheduled to air in the first half of this year.

May 7, 2019

"Search: WWW" Im Soo-jung as a Career Woman

Source: MyDaily via HanCinema.net

photo1060353.jpg

Im Soo-jung comes back as a career woman.

The new tvN drama "Search: WWW" is a fantasy drama about the success stories of 21st century women who choose to not become wives or mothers, and simply focus on working hard without discrimination and obstacles. Im Soo-jung takes on the role of Bae Ta-mi, chief director of Unicorn, the number 1 portal site service strategy team, who has the tendency of an adventurer and complete girl-crush icon.

photo1060352.jpg

Bae Ta-mi is a workaholic who dedicates her youth to work and the office, rather than getting married, and is deemed to make a transformation in this drama. In still cuts revealed on the 7th, Bae Ta-mi looks confident as she looks ahead at something during her presentation and depicts the modern day career woman from head to toe.

According to the production, "Bae Ta-mi is competitive and smart. She thinks success is equal to being the top portal site in the industry and she lives an intense life to achieve that goal".

photo1060351.jpg

Meanwhile, "Search: WWW" is by Jung Ji-hyun and Kwon Do-eun, the latter having worked on "Mr. Sunshine". Hwa and Dam Pictures takes charge of the production and the drama begins on the 5th of June.

"Search: WWW" is directed by Jung Ji-hyun, Kwon Young-il, written by Kwon Do-eun, and features Im Soo-jung, Jang Ki-yong, Lee Da-hee, Jeon Hye-jin, Ji Seung-hyun, Woo Ji-hyun. Broadcasting information in Korea: 2019/06/05~Upcoming, Wed, Thu 21:30 on tvN.

May 29, 2019

New drama 'Search: WWW'

New drama 'Search: WWW'

The cast of the local cable channel tvN's new drama -- Lee Da-hee, Chang Ki-yong, Lim Soo-jung and Jeon Hye-jin (L to R) -- pose for a photo during a showcase at a hotel in Seoul on May 29, 2019. The first episode of the drama, which is about the love between a female director at a portal company and a gifted composer for video games, will air on June 5. (Yonhap)

photo1069098.jpg

Source: HanCinema.net

June 10, 2019

Im Soo Jung Receives Praise For Her Acting In “Search: WWW” And Exudes Professionalism Behind-The-Scenes

Source: Soompi by S. Cho

Im Soo Jung Receives Praise For Her Acting In âSearch: WWWâ And Exudes Professionalism Behind-The-Scenes

Im Soo Jung has returned with a different image in tvN’s “Search: WWW.”

In the drama’s recent premiere on June 5, Im Soo Jung appeared as Bae Ta Mi, the charismatic manager of a portal site. She makes every scene exciting with her drive for a successful career and the love she has for her job, along with her heart-fluttering romance with Park Mo Gun (played by Jang Ki Yong).  Viewers have been excitedly responding to the actress with comments like, “Starting today, I’m a Bae Ta Mi fan,” and, “Of course Im Soo Jung is this good. This is the start of my all-time favorite drama, and all-time favorite character.”

Im Soo Jung has been garnering interest since before the premiere, as this is her first drama in two years. Amidst all of the hype, her transformation has been perfect, starting with her modern styling, the way she walks, her confident facial expressions, and even her voice. In just two episodes, Im Soo Jung has grabbed the audience’s attention through her role as Bae Ta Mi. While her character is competitive, ambitious, and unafraid to fight, she is also very weak deep down, and Im Soo Jung is able to accurately portray that relatable side. Viewers have also shared comments like, “As I continue to watch the drama, I begin to support Bae Ta Mi without even knowing.”

In episode two, Bae Ta Mi ends up leaving her beloved company Unicon, and instead finds herself at rival company Barro. Cha Hyun (played by Lee Da Hee) demands, “If you cannot fix the success of Barro in six months, you will give up your position and leave the company.” Viewers can look forward to how Bae Ta Mi follows through with this promise, and if she can overcome this battle.

Im-Soo-Jung-1.jpg

Im-Soo-Jung-2.jpg

The producers of “Search: WWW” commented, “Im Soo Jung, who has returned to dramas through ‘Search: WWW’ is receiving lots of praise from viewers, just with her first appearance. Just like in the photos released today, Im Soo Jung pays excellent attention to detail and acts to the best of her ability for every scene. We believe her hard work is appropriately receiving the spotlight. In the upcoming third episode on June 12, Bae Ta Mi will have a fresh start from Unicon to Barro. As a big success story in the world of portal websites, please look forward to Im Soo Jung’s impact and whether she can help Barro succeed.”

Source (1)

June 13, 2019

Im Soo-jung and Shin Hye-sun Create New Life Characters

Source: SportsSeoul via HanCinema.net

ììì  ì íì 

The perfect girls are making the perfect life characters.

The characters of actresses are changing. Im Soo-jung is starring in the latest tvN drama "Search: WWW" and Shin Hye-sun in the KBS 2TV drama "Angel's Last Mission: Love". Their characters seem perfect, but they are somewhat human, and that's what connects with the viewers.

There was a time when the typical Cinderella story was popular, or when the leading women's characters were considered annoying.

However, there has been a change lately, and Im Soo-jung and Shin Hye-sun stand in the middle of it. Of course, there has been a fair share of femme fatale and cold career women who specialize in something, so what is it about Im Soo-jung and Shin Hye-sun that makes them stand out?

First of all, Im Soo-jung plays a career woman who can be seen in everyday reality, serving as a vicarious satisfaction to everyday women. In the drama, Im Soo-jung plays Bae Ta-mi, a workaholic who loves herself and boldly expresses her opinions at work.

However, she's not always on point. The 'cool breeze' Bae Ta-mi is very honest about her feelings and becomes dimensional when she feels the bitterness and despair in life, or when she meets a man she wants to be able to depend on. She also recognizes the weakness in her, which reflects her self-esteem and makes her the perfect character that she is. This character contrasts itself with the sweet and cute characters Im Soo-jung is known for.

photo1071849.jpg

Shin Hye-sun plays Lee Yeon-seo, an unfortunate ballerina in "Angel's Last Mission: Love". Lee Yeon-seo's parents, who run a ballet company, suddenly pass away and she becomes their heiress, but because of all sorts of scammers who latch onto her, she becomes a cold hearted woman who doesn't trust people. In addition, she gets into an accident when she is at the peak of her ballet career and has to put a hold on it, but now she's struggling to get back up on stage. As a cynical character, Lee Yeon-seo always looks agitated and is very different from existing women's characters. Shin Hye-sun from the successful drama "My Golden Life" surprises fans again in a different drama.

Sources say, "Recent dramas satisfy viewers with the abilities and growth of women's leading characters. Not only that, they are not just visually pretty and charming, they are good human models. Thus, the viewers' expectations have gone up".

June 14, 2019

Im Soo Jung Is All Smiles As She Creates Refreshing Vibe On Set Of tvN’s “Search: WWW”

Source: Soompi by S. Nam

Im-Soo-Jung-3.jpg

On June 14, King Kong by Starship Entertainment released new behind-te- scenes stills of Im Soo Jung for tvN’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Search: WWW”!

“Search: WWW” is a romance drama that tells the story of three ambitious career women who work at search engine companies. Im Soo Jung plays Bae Ta Mi, the competitive strategic manager at Korea’s No. 1 portal site Unicon. Although a professional at work, she sometimes becomes weak in the face of love.

In one of the released photos, Im Soo Jung is wearing a cream colored coat while smiling at the camera with a V pose. Another photo shows off her adorable eye smile despite her attempt to cover her mouth, and the third photo shows her looking off in to the distance with a subtle smile. While filming, Im Soo Jung wore her bright smile from start to finish, creating a refreshing mood on set.

Source (1)

June 27, 2019

Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival to open

An official poster of the 23rd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, June 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's largest annual genre film festival will open late Thursday in Bucheon, just west of Seoul, featuring 288 movies from 49 countries.

The 23rd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BiFan) will run from June 27 to July 7 under the motto "Love, Fantasy and Adventure," with special attention to science fiction flicks.

One of its official posters is inspired by the 1982 sci-fi film "Blade Runner" by Ridley Scott, which is set in a dystopian city in 2019.

Audiences can check out Godzilla, Gamera and other monster movies in the "Robots: Future Beyond the Human Race" program, where classic films featuring robots like "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" will be shown.

Moreover, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Korean film industry, the festival will screen 13 Korean genre movies, including musical, sci-fi, horror and monster films, under the title "A Crazy Chronicle of Korean Genre Cinema." It features a range of films from the 1949 musical "The Blue Hill" to the 2003 mystery horror "A Tale of Two Sisters."

Opening the festival will be the Asian premiere of Mexican director Edgar Nito's "The Gasoline Thieves," which narrates a realistic story about the fuel-stealing phenomenon in the Central American country.

The closing film is Korean director Ko Myoung-sung's mystery thriller "The 12th Suspect," featuring a murder investigation and which touches on guilt, ideology and opportunism in the post-Korean War era.

Eight films, including "Abyss: The Girl's Eye" by Chang Hyun-sang and "Lapse" by Chae Soo-eung, will vie for prize in the Korean Fantastic section.

Ant Timpson's "Come to Daddy," Talal Selhami's "Achoura" and 10 other movies were invited to the Bucheon Choice competition, aimed at highlighting new trends.

Actress Kim Hye-soo will adorn the festival's special silver-screen star section. Her 10 best movies, including "Tazza: The High Rollers" (2006), "The Thieves" (2012) and "Default" (2018) will be screened during the period.

The opening ceremony of BiFan will be broadcast live for the first time via SBS. 

June 29, 2019

June Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

June Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from May 27 to June 28.

The cast of director Bong Joon Ho’s new film “Parasite,” which recently made history as the first Korean movie ever to win the prestigious Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, dominated this month’s rankings. Six of the top 10 spots on the list went to the stars of “Parasite,” with Song Kang Ho and Choi Woo Shik topping the rankings at No. 1 and No. 2 respectively. Lee Sun Gyun came in at No. 4 for June, followed by Park So Dam at No. 5, Jo Yeo Jeong at No. 6, and Lee Jung Eun at No. 8.

Song Kang Ho earned a total brand reputation index of 9,400,269 for the month, while his co-star Choi Woo Shik scored a total index of 6,990,409. High-ranking phrases in Song Kang Ho’s keyword analysis included “Parasite,” “Bong Joon Ho,” and “film festival,” while his highest-ranking related terms included “certain,” “trust,” and “transformation.”

Actress Im Soo Jung, who is currently starring in the new tvN drama “Search: WWW,” took third place for the month with a brand reputation index of 6,625,530.

Check out this month’s top 30 below!

1. Song Kang Ho
2. Choi Woo Shik
3. Im Soo Jung
4. Lee Sun Gyun
5. Park So Dam
6. Jo Yeo Jeong
7. Han Ji Min
8. Lee Jung Eun
9. Park Bo Young
10. Park Seo Joon
11. Lee Jung Jae
12. Gong Yoo
13. Jeon Hye Jin
14. Jang Dong Gun
15. Kim Ok Bin
16. Kim Da Mi
17. Lee El
18. Jo Jung Suk
19. Ma Dong Seok
20. Lee Sung Min
21. Lee Jin Wook
22. So Ji Sub
23. Kim Dong Wook
24. Lee Seo Jin
25. Ryu Jun Yeol
26. Kim Rae Won
27. Yoo Jae Myung
28. Yeo Jin Goo
29. Go Joon
30. Yoo Ah In

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

June 29, 2019

June Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

June Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

The Korean Business Research Institute has announced this month’s brand reputation rankings for drama actors!

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas that aired between May 28 and June 29.

Im Soo Jung, who is currently starring in tvN’s new drama “Search: WWW,” topped this month’s list with a brand reputation index of 6,053,783. High-ranking phrases in the actress’s keyword analysis included “Jang Ki Yong,” “Search: WWW,” and “search term,” while her highest-ranking related terms included “charming” and “relatable.”

Jung Hae In and Han Ji Min, the stars of MBC’s “One Spring Night,” took second and third places respectively for June. Jung Hae In scored a total brand reputation index of 5,394,450 for the month, while Han Ji Min followed close behind with a score of 4,957,074.

Check out this month’s top 30 below!

1. Im Soo Jung
2. Jung Hae In
3. Han Ji Min
4. Lee Elijah
5. Kim Min Kyu
6. Jang Ki Yong
7. Lee Jung Jae
8. Park Bo Young
9. Kim Ji Won
10. Shin Min Ah

Spoiler

11. INFINITE’s L
12. Jeon Hye Jin
13. Lee Da Hee
14. Jang Dong Gun
15. Kim Ha Neul
16. Shin Hye Sun
17. No Min Woo
18. Go Won Hee
19. Oh Chang Suk
20. Kim So Yeon
21. Kim Ok Bin
22. Jo Jung Suk
23. Kim Dong Jun
24. Lee Jin Wook
25. Jung Yu Mi
26. Lee Si Eon
27. Song Joong Ki
28. Shin Sung Rok
29. Kim Young Kwang
30. Kam Woo Sung

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• 2 weeks later...

July 8, 2019

Im Soo Jung And Kwon Hae Hyo Showcase Impressive Leadership Skills In “Search: WWW”

Source: Soompi by S. Nam

Im Soo Jung And Kwon Hae Hyo Showcase Impressive Leadership Skills In âSearch: WWWâ

Im Soo Jung’s and Kwon Hae Hyo’s characters in “Search: WWW” have captivated viewers with their refined leadership skills!

Barro, the No. 2 portal site in the industry, has made many office workers jealous with their work culture in which employees call each other freely by their English names rather than their titles, and employee dinners are optional rather than an extension of work. In particular, CEO Brian (Kwon Hae Hyo) and team leader Bae Ta Mi (Im Soo Jung) have received positive responses for their leadership skills.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Last week, Barro faced their biggest crisis yet. Song Ga Kyung (Jeon Hye Jin) of the rival company Unicon called an emergency press conference to reveal and apologize for “Bae Ta Mi” trending No. 1 on the real time charts, which was fabricated. However, Barro was then suspected of trying to cover up the fabrication.

In the face of the unexpected crisis, Brian came to a surprising conclusion. He officially revealed that he would resign as CEO by stating, “Despite knowing that the search term ‘Bae Ta Mi’ was fabricated, we covered up the truth because we didn’t have the skills to stop the fabrication.”

Although Brian knew that this whole scheme was planned by Unicon deftly using the truth, he states, “A company should not lie,” and, “The position of a CEO is someone who takes responsibilities for problems,” while doing his best to protect Barro. This showed the true worth of Brian’s character as a leader in contrast to Unicon who put Bae Ta Mi in court in the first episode of “Search: WWW”

Meanwhile, Bae Ta Mi has taken note of the company’s vibe with news of Brian’s resignation. As a team leader, she holds one-on-one meetings with the employees through which she learns that Alex (Song Ji Ho) has received a job offer from Unicon.

Saying, “It’s natural to move to [a company] for a better offer,” while offering congratulations and expressing respect, Bae Ta Mi acts as a reasonable higher-up. At the same time, incorporating Brian’s advice, “Unsaid feelings are not delivered,” Bae Ta Mi tells Alex, “You are someone this team really needs.”

Throughout the show, Bae Ta Mi has grown as a leader, objectively choosing Ellie (Oh Ah Yeon) for the team without looking at her past experience and listening to Cha Hyun (Lee Da Hee) who always has an opposing opinion.

Kwon-Hae-Hyo-Im-Soo-Jung-Search-WWW.jpg

Both Brian and Bae Ta Mi have captivated the viewers by showcasing what it means to be a true leader and by growing to be stronger leaders day by day.

“Search: WWW” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 9:30 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

Forgot that there’s a thread about her. I’m so glad she’s back with Search: WWW. The drama is so good. Hopefully she’ll be nominated for an award. This drama deserves it and her portrayal of a strong female worker is phenomenal. 

July 11, 2019

REVIEW: Drama breaks the tradition and puts women at the center: In 'Search: WWW,' the ladies take the lead, without making sacrifices

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

10205906.jpg

On the top, actor Lee Da-hee as Cha Hyun, and above, Jeon Hye-jin as Song Ga-kyung. On the right, Im Soo-jung as Bae Tami. The three main characters are portrayed as strong, successful women each at top of their careers. [TVN]

In many local dramas, especially in romantic comedies, the same story gets told over and over again: Women often appear as sloppy characters needing to be rescued by their male counterparts. Or viewers might find that women are relegated to only being a part of the subplots that tend to “smooth out” the rough patches in the story dominated by male politics. 

Over the past few years, however, new types of female characters have been seen on TV screens, including those who remain faithful to their desires and others who prioritize their careers or needs above everything else. 

In “Misty” (2018), actor Kim Nam-joo successfully takes on the role of a cool-headed anchorwoman, and shows off her wicked sense of style with her colorful office outfits. On tvN’s “Good Wife” (2016), adapted from the U,S. drama series, Jeon Do-yeon plays a hardworking lawyer who originally sacrificed her career for her husband’s. 

Yet many of the women in these stories still remain chained to the patriarchal system. For instance, Kim’s character in “Misty,” Go Hae-ran, put her desires to succeed ahead of everything else and had an abortion out of fear that having a baby would get in the way of her career. After her husband finds out, the couple’s relationship deteriorates and leads to a seven-year loveless marriage for the couple. In “Good Wife,” Jeon’s character Kim Hye-kyung only resumes her career to take care of her family when her well-to-do husband gets arrested after he is involved in a series of political and sex scandals. 

Even in the popular JTBC drama “SKY Castle” (2019), which was meaningful because all the main roles were played by women, each of the lead characters were depicted as goal-oriented mothers who put their children’s needs - or more specifically, their grades - before their own. The role of women playing self-sacrificing mothers with fierce maternal love for their children is another typical role that female actors have been seen playing repeatedly over the years. 

Whether or not the directors wanted to reflect reality, these setbacks often become the main obstacles that the female characters need to tackle to become successful. 

Cable channel tvN’s “Search: WWW” offers something different. The three main characters - Bae Tami, Cha Hyun and Song Ga-kyung (portrayed by Im Soo-jung, Lee Da-hee, and Jeon Hye-jin) - are all professional working women striving for success while working for the top two portal companies in Korea. They are not portrayed as someone’s girlfriend or mother. Rather, their family backgrounds are exempt from the story except for Song, who suffers due to her power-hungry mother-in-law. 

Spoiler

While each of the three characters encounters romance in the series, their relationships are hardly the main story line. The male characters are the subplots of the story, just as female characters have been in previous shows. 

Instead, the drama focuses on the dimensional relationships evolving between the female leads. Bae and Cha were once rivals on the process of becoming comrades; Bae and Song were once best friends who became distant due to their diverging values and interests; and Song and Cha are depicted as friends who share a long history as they have known each other since high school. 

The relationship between the three is much more complex and intertwined than in previous dramas, which often portray women simply as rivals or enemies, ridden with jealousy for one another. In “WWW,” the main characters may have different opinions, but they discuss, fight and reconcile as most people do in real life. 

“Although you may not believe or possibly imagine it, all of my desires come from me and they are the guidelines to my actions, I did this for my own survival,” Bae says in one episode. 

As Bae has said, her lines represent the motives for all the three characters. They are real people who are the leaders in their careers, who fight fiercely over the values and ideologies they believe in. But they aren’t unrealistically just, kind or fair. They know what they want, and they strictly veer toward their desires and interests. 

Yet they also offer satisfaction for female viewers. In one scene, Cha beats a man who molested her in the elevator to a pulp and sends him to a hospital. In an another scene, Bae exposes a member of the National Assembly involved in prostitution of minors, live on TV. 

Female leads on TV have are still evolving and have become more dimensional characters, and it has begun to challenge the tropes that confine women’s careers in a patriarchal society. Moreover, audiences embracing female-led dramas prove that they can be as fun, exciting and complicated as any other. 

The drama isn’t perfect though. The characters still feel the need to put on full makeup even when they’re at home or at the gym, and they still fuss over the color of their lipsticks when appearing on TV. But these are small inconsistencies that can be overlooked through the drama’s achievements.

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joonang.co.kr]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

October 14, 2019

Im Soo Jung, Jang Ki Yong, Ha Jung Woo, And More Have Glamorous Gathering In LA

Source: Soompi by U. Kim

Im Soo Jung, Jang Ki Yong, Ha Jung Woo, And More Have Glamorous Gathering In LA

On October 12 (local time), Im Soo Jung, Park So Dam, Jang Ki Yong, Jo Jin Woong, and Ha Jung Woo attended Hammer Museum’s Gala in the Garden.

Hammer Museum is an art museum and cultural center located in Los Angeles, United States. The museum’s website describes the Gala in the Garden as an event that “celebrates artists and icons who have made profound contributions to society through their work.”

On October 14 KST, Im Soo Jung uploaded a photo of herself and the other actors at the event. She captioned the post, “It was great to see them after so long.”

According to Ilgan Sports, Song Kang Ho, director Park Chan Wook and his wife, and director Bong Joon Ho and his wife also met up with the actors at the event.

Source (1) (2)

Archived