Engagement Rings/wedding Rings

GOOMBA

Guest Petite_Mal

^Oh, come on, you guys. Two or three month salaries? Engagement ring "rules"???

This is a sad, sad society. Get what you like and feck the rest. Or you go and spend a two to three month salary on something for your fiance, because this is RIDICULOUS.

-ginger

Yeah, but it's more about what the guy can afford. Obviously if he's struggling financially, you wouldn't want him to spend that much money. However, I think the "tradition" is based on the notion that people get married or engaged when they are stable in all aspects of life. The ring symbolizes (hopefully truthfully, which is not always the case) the fact that the man can provide for a wife and a family.

It can be sad that some people put so much weight on it, but there are variations of this in all the animal kingdoms. Male birds building extravagant nests with shiny objects, or feathers from predators to show they can provide and defend, etc.

As far as the woman buying something for her fiance, I agree with that somewhat. We are doing something along those lines, only with me donating half the cost of the ring to charity, and the other half put towards retirement.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That's really, really sweet and a great idea. I'm getting engaged within the next few months, so I've been researching a lot about the whole engagement process. America is one of the few countries that boasts a love of big diamond rings---Europe uses diamond engagement rings, but very frequently uses birthstones. The DeBeer's campaign was not successful in Europe, so they then turned most of their attention to forming these ideas about big diamond = love here in the U.S.

-ginger

Guest morrow94

^That's really, really sweet and a great idea. I'm getting engaged within the next few months, so I've been researching a lot about the whole engagement process. America is one of the few countries that boasts a love of big diamond rings---Europe uses diamond engagement rings, but very frequently uses birthstones. The DeBeer's campaign was not successful in Europe, so they then turned most of their attention to forming these ideas about big diamond = love here in the U.S.

-ginger

anything big would do well in the land of the big macs, macmasions and macdiamond rings.

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

^birthstones?

really thats interesting

isnt there a month where the birthstone are pearls?

luckily my birthstone are diamonds haha

Guest chibifry

Jewelry is never useless because the value of the stone will always go up, never down (especially diamonds).

Oh yeah, 2 ct minimum, F & up please. I only learn from the best! (mom) haha.

Guest White Star

harry winston have great ring

i like simple, elegant, yet shophisticate, unique. one of a kind. and the diamond better be reasonably big.

Guest dying1004

i want a simple silver band with a medium sized diamond in the middle. and.. that's about it. i'd like to lookk around stores first though, when the time comes

America is one of the few countries that boasts a love of big diamond rings---Europe uses diamond engagement rings, but very frequently uses birthstones.

Birthstones. Interesting.

I suppose from a girl's perspective she could buy the guy a headstone.

You know, for the grave.

Kind of serve as a reminder to him that that's where he's going to end up if he should go astray.

Guest MOOVERDOSE

I just wonder how on earth, and why on earth people would wear a diamond that big? It doesn't look any fancier from what I see and it definitely doesn't look real. (It was priced *as what I can remember* 8k.....................)

Trust me, people buy rings like that to SHOW off. They don't wear them around the house; just to parties and stuff.

My perfect wedding ring will be a silver band with a small diamond.

Guest ichigo_no_powder

oo i'm going to go to that store tomorrow to see if I can find the ring that you're talking about. I didn't know BW2 closed down. I don't know exactly what I want...as long as it has white gold and diamonds then i'm pretty much happy. something simple yet classy. the first pic that hplover posted is pretty but I would want for the band to be a bit thinner.

Guest SatinDoll

gr5305-sapphire-engagement-ring-set.jpg

A pink Heart! <3

OOOO Those are really pretty too!

oh. that is just ...beautiful...

i loveeee it!!

<3...

i think i would want somethign like that..with engravings either on the inside or outside :D

where did u get it from??

Guest MUGETSU

^Oh, come on, you guys. Two or three month salaries? Engagement ring "rules"???

This is a sad, sad society. Get what you like and feck the rest. Or you go and spend a two to three month salary on something for your fiance, because this is RIDICULOUS.

-ginger

Yeah, but it's more about what the guy can afford. Obviously if he's struggling financially, you wouldn't want him to spend that much money. However, I think the "tradition" is based on the notion that people get married or engaged when they are stable in all aspects of life. The ring symbolizes (hopefully truthfully, which is not always the case) the fact that the man can provide for a wife and a family.

It can be sad that some people put so much weight on it, but there are variations of this in all the animal kingdoms. Male birds building extravagant nests with shiny objects, or feathers from predators to show they can provide and defend, etc.

As far as the woman buying something for her fiance, I agree with that somewhat. We are doing something along those lines, only with me donating half the cost of the ring to charity, and the other half put towards retirement.

It's not a rule, more like tradition like Petite said.

I'm probably going to spend that much on a ring or maybe even more.

I'm not planning on marrying anyone until I have a stable life.

There are many reasons why there are so many divorces in America - marrying young and when life is still unstable is one of them.

Guest sweet.dreams

i honestly don't care how my engagement ring looks like. my fiance got me one and i like it just the way it is. it does NOT have a big rock...it is just simple and cute...just the way i like it. :)

Guest morrow94

8k is NOTHING.

If he proposes to me, I want a TIFFANY's!

if it's not TIFFANY's .. i might have to think about it..

lols... i want a decent rock, on like white gold or seomthing.

I would like to see the guy with the onion rings propose to you. That would make a great reality show.

Just out of curiosity what would induce you to say yes? A tiffany ring that costs 20K? 30K? 40K?

Guest Classic Example

My perfect ring would be the simple kinds with diamonds making up the band. I don't like main center-pieces on a ring.

Guest iisandyx3

i want both my engagement ring and wedding ring to be platinum... engagement ring should be pretty expensive and big.. buh not too big like how celebs get it.... lol no weird shaped ones like hearts or diamonds... lol just fancy-ish i guess.. wedding ring shouldnt be too fancy... a little plain buh with some diamonds i guess.. also platinum lol

Archived