Utada Hikaru

Guest xyunaxfantasiesx

POPTUB interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FL9cy12VNg

Utada comes in around the 1:11 mark.

Utada.jp Update: Japanese Magazine Schedule

Utada.jp has updated today with a list of Japanese magazines that will be carrying stories on Utada in the coming month. Check it out for the full list.

*日本でのメディア露出情報

<雑誌>

「WHAT’s IN?」(2/14)

「CDでーた」(2/14)

「CDジャーナル」(2/20)

「i-Pod Fan」(2/21)

「Zipper」(2/23)

「smart」(2/24)

「CHOKI CHOKI」(2/24)

「BLENDA」(3/7)

「In Red」(3/7)

「S-Cawaii!」(3/7)

「sweet」(3/12)

「JELLY」(3/17)

「金沢倶楽部」(3/20)

「HMV the music&movie master」(3/20)

「新星堂 DROPS 024号」(3/20)

「VA for TSUTAYA RECORDS」(3/20)

「装苑」(3/28)

Credits: U.Blog

What do you do when you’re a J-pop superstar in Japan, and a native English speaker, but have failed to take off with your first U.S. release?

Try again, of course. Japanese phenomenon Utada will release her new English-language record, “This Is The One,” March 24 on Island Def Jam, with all parties predicting greater success the second time around. Her first English-language record, 2004’s “Exodus,” peaked at No. 160 on the Billboard 200, selling 55,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

“My first English album was a very experimental, mad-scientist-in-a-laboratory kind of album,” Utada says. “It was a bit of a mess on my side as well as on the record company’s side. I didn’t know how to [express] myself to the public.”

This time, Island Def Jam Music Group president/COO Steve Bartels says the label is “extremely committed to breaking Utada in the United States.” Kimitaka Kato, president of Universal International in Japan, says, “Utada’s talent has been recognized by [iDJMG chairman] L.A. Reid, which led to this launch. We believe that the moment has come for the world to embrace Utada as a true global superstar.”

She’s already achieved that status in Japan, despite being born and raised in the States, until she was 14. Her 1999 debut album, “First Love” (Toshiba EMI), is the best-selling album in Japanese history, selling more than 7.5 million copies, according to SoundScan Japan. All but one of her subsequent six releases have moved more than 1 million copies.

Managed by her father, Teruzane Utada, on both sides of the Pacific, her star status at home is such that she has separate deals for her Japanese repertoire — which appears on EMI under her full name, Utada Hikaru –– and English language releases, which come out through Universal under the name Utada. “Exodus” has sold more than 1 million copies in Japan, and “This Is The One” is due there March 14. But Utada says she remains committed to Japanese repertoire and is already working on her next Japanese album.

As for “This Is The One,” she says it’s “an album made for the purpose of [being] mainstream,” having enlisted top songwriter/producers with U.S. track records and strong ties to IDJ, including the-Dream, Stargate and Tricky Stewart.

“For this project, Utada wanted to work with some of the hottest producers on the charts right now,” Bartels says, “but more importantly they wanted to work with her. The-Dream, Tricky Stewart, Stargate and many others are big fans of hers, and all of us know what the U.S. and Europe are soon to find out — Utada is a star.”

Bartels says Utada’s American “sensibilities and sound” set her apart from other Japanese artists seeking stateside success, noting early press supports from Nylon, the New York Times and Vibe. A slot is also booked on CBS’ “The Early Show,” with more TV appearances to be scheduled.

Utada had her longtime hair and makeup artists fly in from Japan for key U.S. promo work after feeling her image wasn’t presented correctly in the States on “Exodus.” The artist says she’s feeling more confident about how she’s perceived this time around.

“I feel very comfortable about all the promotional work I’ve been doing,” she says. “probably because there is less of this hype about a Japanese pop star making a breakthrough that I struggled with last time.”

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hikkifanatic

When they say working on her next japanese album it means she's working on more japanese songs since Singles are released b4 albums in japan

^ That's exactly what i've said about BoA and Se7en in the past so to me it's not harsh.

Then again, Utada can work on a song and wait a long time to release it, kind of like how she released singles waaaay before she released Ultra Blue. (I mean, she released Colors in 03 and that was on Ultra Blue in 06). Or like how she recorded the demo of "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" in Dec 07 for This is The One.

Since she actively works on her music (not just the singing) she works on songs for longer, whereas (sorry if this offends =/ ) other singers are usually given a song to sing, then just do the recording/promoting/performing.

And since she is a huge part of the process of making her music I'd really hope she would have some faith in it (I mean, it it titled This is The One :D

Hopefully the "real" promo will begin after her music video is released.

I know Hikki's been saying she's been doing this and that interview, but really... Kiwibox? Japanator? Etc... :/

This gives me some hope:

A slot is also booked on CBS’ “The Early Show,” with more TV appearances to be scheduled.

Guest Bethany

I heard Utada's song here in California yesterday while I was driving to school. I still haven't heard BoA's yet, but I will keep calling the radio

station. Good luck to both ladies!

Guest amydien

Wonderful.

Although I kinda wish they toned down on the eye make-up. It made me wonder a bit if they really had her Japanese make-up artist do the job instead of someone else.

But overall, it was beautiful. The clothes and setting made her look elegant. She looks great! :D

Guest simplirain

The MV was pretty simple but she looks GORGEOUS! The dresses were pretty too. Expecially the one at the end. It made her look so pretty. <33

I just didn't like the slicked hair and red lipstick. lol.

Guest Em_mie

OT: i love how on other forums, people are like "WOW THAT DUDE IS HOT - o hay hikki"

i thought it was a good video for reintroducing utada to the us market. she is a pretty girl and was definitely eye catching in the vid. hopefully that'll garner her a second look and thus a second listen.

Guest shufflez

The MV was pretty simple but she looks GORGEOUS! The dresses were pretty too. Expecially the one at the end. It made her look so pretty. <33

I just didn't like the slicked hair and red lipstick. lol.

yeah me too at first =X

but it got alright for me as i kept watching :]

Archived