[drama 2003] Sang Doo, Let's Go To School! 상두야, 학교&#44032

melusine

Scriptwriter Lee Kyung Hee comments on Rain in Sangdoo

I’ve adopted a strict attitude toward Rain right from the start.

I told him "You're the male lead in this drama. If you do badly, everything you’ve done will go down the drain". So you must work hard, follow Hyojin closely and learn well.

Because of this, Rain was very nervous.

But he really did do well.

In the beginning, I was the one who gave him the role of Sangdoo. But over time, I began to feel that he was the one telling me what kind of a role Sangdoo really is.

Of course, Sangdoo is Rain, and Rain made Sangdoo come alive.

Now to think of it, without Rain's interpretation, the character Sangdoo would never have come alive.

So he really did do very well.

Rain really works very hard. I think it is hard on him physically, so much so he may be starting to lose

his hair. He is really going through a hard time.

In the drama, his role kept switching between the present and the past; now he's a gigolo; the next moment, he's back to becoming a student. Hence his hairstyle was always changing, sometimes up to 6 times a day. No wonder he's losing his hair.

Warning, Spoiler:

In the original script, only Sangdoo was supposed to die.

It was supposed to portray Sangdoo as putting in his all his effort, tried hard and struggled to live on,

but fate is cruel. Even a person who tried so hard to survive still died in the end.

So I had planned to let Sangdoo die peacefully.

When I was writing episode 15, I received Hyejin’s mail.

"Please don't kill Sangdoo. If you must kill him, please kill me too. Because if Sangdoo dies, I won't be

able to live on too."

At first I was bewildered by this whole thing, but she mailed me 6 times in total.

So I decided to call her, asking her what exactly did she think she was doing?

Told her it's Sangdoo dying, not Rain. But she said, "If Sangdoo dies, Eunhwan will not be able to live too. Please let Sangdoo live. Otherwise, just kill us both."

I have completed my script and I cannot change it, neither do I plan to change it. I told her the script may under-run, and she actually told me to re-write the script!

I was terribly angry, reprimanded, "How dare you ask me to rewrite the script, idiot?"

After hanging up, I was unable to ignore the issue, so I called Rain and asked for his opinion.

Rain told me, "I don't know, but if Sangdoo really dies alone, his life is really too sad. What sin did he commit so much so that he has to die alone?"

After that issue, I saw the two at the filming site. Suddenly it occurred to me that killing Sangdoo alone is indeed very cruel.

Ah~ These two are indeed inseparable. Let them stay together then, whether live or dead, I thought.

I had set the tone for the scene in the jail.

Sangdoo was supposed to express that he is not tired, and doesn't feel that his life is sad despite being in jail.

This is because in his heart, Eunhwan is always by his side, hence his life is not too tragic.

But during the filming, Rain kept crying.

I didn't indicate in the script for him to cry, but he was totally into the role, so he couldn't help but sob. He was crying so sadly he could speak properly and had to stop filming for a while.

Thinking back, Rain is right, Because he has completely became Sangdoo.

There was a scene when Sangdoo wanted his uncle to teach him how to play cards. His uncle was surprised because Sangdoo had said he'll never touch that stuff. In actual fact, the part that was being cut away explained how he sworn off gambling because that was how Sangdoo's real father gambled his life away. But because Eunhwan's mother liked people who play cards, she he wanted to pick it up too.

Credit: rainloverforever.blogspot.com/ Rainhk.com// jinlees@ soompi//

Omg, I cried when reading this. I think at least the scriptwriter changed the ending and allowed them to died together.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peachblossom06

Everytime I rewatched this series, it feel like the first time. It just an unforgettable and heart warming series. I love all of the scenes between Sangdoo and Bori, so touching.

Guest shedoesntrule

I thought this Drama is better than Full House. Bi acted better and looked better in this drama (I don't really like the way Bi dresses in Full House, and his hair looks manlier here). Umm and, the story line is much more interesting and intense than Full House. However, Full House is pretty great too, though. I just prefer SangDoo. This drama is a must-watch. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ~*pepper*~

TOTALLY AGREE that its underated (prolly lack of advertisements...FH had lots of exposure compared to SD)

IMO its the best drama Bi has ever acted :wub:

probably coz we see a lot of sides to sang doo

*sigh*

currently watching this drama but

can't post anything in Bi's thread since the bikyo heat is so high

i can't get enough of Bi in the drama

he's sooooo funny !!!

my mom would ask me y i'm laughing sooo loud

great...:sweatingbullets:

now i have the swallow (chebiya) nursery rhyme stuck in my head

haha

chebiya, chebiya ~~~ (wait that doesn't sound decent...hehe)

hope to share the love i have for this drama with u guys

:peace:

Guest charlesriver

I thought this Drama is better than Full House. Bi acted better and looked better in this drama (I don't really like the way Bi dresses in Full House, and his hair looks manlier here). Umm and, the story line is much more interesting and intense than Full House. However, Full House is pretty great too, though. I just prefer SangDoo. This drama is a must-watch. :D

Totally agree !

Because I love this drama so much, I watched MISA (same writer and PD) and fell for that drama even more !

Guest ~*pepper*~

AHH~~~

finally finished the show

i don't think the ending was sad

i think it was realistic

BEST BI DRAMA I EVER WATCHED !!!

*edited*

did anyone spot some funny thing happening in the drama?

i could see the crew's feet and backs once in a while

(note the top left corner when EH revealed to SD about her knowing that he went to juvenile prison)

also what i don't get is

EH is adopted so how can she have the phonograph which is so-called her father's possession?

ok i can understnad if she was holding the phonograph when sera's mother found her

then her mother told MS that she respected him like how she respected EH's father...(ep 15-16)

i mean how would she know that? since she found EH on the beach?

although its not 100% smooth

its still the best drama i ever watched

i cried and laughed more watching SD than any other series

Bi's acting here surpasses ijuksa and full house (and he looks much better here than FH)

loved his multiple characters

really pro actor (change from school boy to gigolo to father to student to lover)

esp during the shooting of the drama

AHH~~~ can's get enough of SD aka BI

Guest angelkiki04

this was actually one of the very first korean dramas that i got to watch...and actually finish!

i totally loved every bit of this drama...

it has a lot of comedy and funny times but then there were so many times where i was bawling my eyes out!

totally loved it!

it's highly on my recommended list! :D

the actors and actresses did a great job!

Guest flyhearts

Yesterday i finshed watching this drama..

This is on of my fav. Korean dramas...

Everything was totally Perfect on it....I Luv Sangdoo so much...

Guest ~*pepper*~

ok i got the answer for my question

so i posted this up so anyone who have doubts can also understand

apparently, EH's mom stayed with EH's dad

5 years before the scene shot, EH's father passed away leaving the phonograph

(i think ji hwan is EH's brother from father side and sera's brother from mother's side)

http://english.kbs.co.kr/spotlight/view.php?serial=10

that's all !!!

man i watched this like a year ago. it was REALLY good. after i watched full house and saw how good rain's acting skills was, i just had to watch his other dramas. this drama was really good. made me cry a few times and his fatherly ways with bori was just so cute. he was such a good dad for her. i just don't like how it ended though. i think it could've been a better ending. might've been a little rushed? not exactly sure. it's been a long time since i've last watched it. i hope whoever watch it like it as much as i did. ^_^

Guest ohemgeewinniee

THE BEST DRAMA EVER <3

i even watched it twice, haha.

i cried in like every episode the first time i watched it.

especially with the sang-doo and bori moments. :tears:

(i didn't really like the ending though :()

• 1 month later...
Guest meera

really love this drama...!!!the first time i watched bi oppa...i was totally mesmerized...

he's damn talented....n cha bo ri....sooooo cute...!!!

Guest kittkatt2020

I liked Rain in this better than in Full House. He showed that he could really act in this one. I know a lot of people liked Full House and will not want to hear this. I saw Full House before I saw Sangdoo so my impression of his acting was not very good. But I'm glad I got to see this side of him. He acted really well in Sangdoo changing easily from emotion to emotion. In Full House he was just screaming and yelling all the time. It got really tiring watching him do that all throughout the series.

The ending was really unexpected. I was really cheering for these two to find some happiness after so much heartache and separation. I would have preferred a happier ending but it was still a good series overall. 4 stars. :)

Guest captainEDEN.

Ah i'm watching this right now (i know i'm late)

but i love it so far. Rain is SUPER hot in this series.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SiMPLY GAYLE

i finally finished this series and it is OFFICIALLY

one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE DRAMA SERIES.

seriously though, i love this drama. Full House was the very very first k-drama i`ve ever seen

in my life and that`s actually how i became a Bi fan.. and seeing THIS series makes me love him more.

haha. i totally AGREE that this drama is underrated. i actually didn`t know this came before Full House.

i really like Bi's performance as Sang Doo here. i want a guy like Sang Doo. his love for BoRi and EH is incredible.

there are not much guys like Sang Doo out there actually existing these days. but yeah, best Bi drama i`ve ever seen.

i seriously cried in like in every episode. i don`t remember an episode where i DIDN`T cry.

and i loved how it was funny too. like the silly moments. it was very entertaining. :]

GREAT DRAMA. i think i`ll watch it again.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest valenti

i always see a dvd of this drama but i never had the chance to read the back cover because, yes, i thought this drama was not good at all. but base from what i've read in this thread and on the other thread about underrated/overrated dramas, this drama is the famous choice of the people for underrated kdramas. if ever i will going to see a dvd of this kdrama, i will buy it now for sure so i could see if it really good :D

i always see a dvd of this drama but i never had the chance to read the back cover because, yes, i thought this drama was not good at all. but base from what i've read in this thread and on the other thread about underrated/overrated dramas, this drama is the famous choice of the people for underrated kdramas. if ever i will going to see a dvd of this kdrama, i will buy it now for sure so i could see if it really good :D

The soundtrack is very good also. Although I don't understand the language, the music and singing is very good. I listen to the OST every chance I can. I even have it in my car.

Guest dream_on

^ ^ yes, trust me. this drama is definitely underrated. it is one of my favorite dramas. Bi acted flawlessly here and i think this series was better than Full House. i highly recommend this drama!

and i agree. the OST was excellent as well. :)

Archived