Can Ps2 Play Burned Dvds

Guest Jangoon

Guest Jangoon

well i burned turbo jam.. lol and it doesnt work on my PS2! i was sad lol.. i wanted to watch my dramas on it too.. and PS2 is my only DVD player.. lol..

i used imation discs.. http://www.provantage.com/imation-18060~73MDS2JA.htm 16x thingy..

so like.. how do i make it so i can watch burned dvds.. on PS2.. if i cant

which DVD player should i buy? i need one for the long run so i should buy one compatable with this.. lol

Guest Jangoon

uh made new topic cuz last one was locked.. i wasnt given a reason.. so uh

like how do i know if the DVD player will play burned dvds and stuff.. i wanna burn my Jumong and stuff and watch it too.. better on the 40 inch tv with sofa then my 17 inch monitor with computer chair..

Guest TrainDriver

if u go buy one now, most dvd players will support dvd-r formats and such, but to be sure check the box or instruction manual of supported media.

uh made new topic cuz last one was locked.. i wasnt given a reason.. so uh

like how do i know if the DVD player will play burned dvds and stuff.. i wanna burn my Jumong and stuff and watch it too.. better on the 40 inch tv with sofa then my 17 inch monitor with computer chair..

woops sorry, I thought your topic was about playing burned dvd games for the ps2 until I re-read it. :P

Guest Jangoon

thanks for opening it back up! everyone makes mistakes

and how come the PS2 wont play burned discs? is it cuz of region or something? or its anti-dvd burned system in it?

It will play burned DVDs. Your problem is either it has a hard time reading that particular brand of DVDs you bought (cuz of worn out laser or simple incompatibility with that particular brand of DVD+R)... or at the very least because you didn't burn the DVD with bit-setting turned on.

You need to figure out how to turn on bit-setting aka "set the booktype" to DVD-ROM. It's essential to do that when using DVD+R's (plus R's) or else many DVD players [including the PS2] will not be able to read the burned DVD. It is an option (assuming your DVD burner supports it) that will be available in the options screen for your burning program. Nero has it... DVD Decrypter has it... other burning programs may have it as well.

An easier option is to buy DVD-R's (MINUS R's) and burn it on one of those IF you can't figure out how to do the above. Chances are high that your burner can do both plus and minus R's so just burn the same movie on a minus R. They have higher compatibility with DVD players without having to do any special tricks. Keep in mind that PS2's lasers are picky and some brands of DVD-R's work better than others. You should buy a small 5 pack or so just to test with first. If it works then buy a bunch of the same brand. :P I have had no problems with Fujifilm and Verbatim brands but your mileage may vary.

ps2 wont play burned things......if u want to u would need a mod chip

just buy a chepo DVD player for like 50$

Actually, PS2's can playback burned DVD movies without a modchip. The modchip is only required (well not really anymore) for illegally burned games which I will not get into. :vicx: :ph34r:

Guest aznfishyfart

Actually, PS2's can playback burned DVD movies without a modchip. The modchip is only required (well not really anymore) for illegally burned games which I will not get into. :vicx::ph34r:

i nevre knew that haha

maybe my ps2 is just too old....its the 2nd batch to come out and doesn't let me play anything burned

Yeah, second batch wont do DVD+R disks.

The newer Slim PS2 and the older ones with the IR port built in for remote control supports DVD+R and DVD-R movies just fine.

But I recommend just going out to the store and buying the cheapest one you see... even a $20 after rebate one is nicer than the ps2. No fan, wont wear down your laser, and plays more formats. Although you might want to take this opportunity to buy a DVD player that supports AVI and Xvid (players go for about $60) they let you burn the movie directly to a DVD or CD and you cna just watch it on your TV like that. You won't need to go through the converting process of video -> DVD movie.

PS2 can play burned discs.. but specific dvds...

did you get DVD+R discs?

{btw I'm not sure about the old PS2 model but the one I have which is the slim small one plays the burnt dvds}

Guest Jangoon

i just got dvd+r cuz i just chose what was there.. lol o__O i didnt know there was a diff between - and + haha

i think i have to buy one anyways..my ps2 is real old.. i think its the 2nd batch..

yeah, V2 PS2's I dunno... I have the normal looking V5 PS2 (before they came out with the V7 with the improved laser) and it definitely works fine with burnt stuff. If it came down to it and you're gonna need to buy a new PS2, I'd much rather see you buy a divx DVD player. They'll make your life so much easier.

Archived