[Current Drama 2024] Family by Choice/ A Prefabricated Family, 조립식 가족- Hwang In Yeop, Jung Chaeyeon & Bae Hyun Sung-Wed&Thu

larus

Spoiler

Hwang In Youp Dishes On His Character In “Family By Choice,” Chemistry With Jung Chaeyeon And Bae Hyeon Seong, And More

Hwang In Youp Dishes On His Character In “Family By Choice,” Chemistry With Jung Chaeyeon And Bae Hyeon Seong, And More

Hwang In Youp has shared his thoughts on his upcoming drama “Family by Choice”!

“Family by Choice” is a romance story that unfolds as three people who, after spending 10 years living together as a family and another 10 years apart as strangers, reunite and reconnect.

Hwang In Youp plays the handsome Kim San Ha who doesn’t appear to be lacking in anything. After growing up with Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) like siblings, Kim San Ha leaves them only to return to them after 10 years.

Hwang In Youp, who plays Kim San Ha, shared his reasons for joining the project. “The story of an assembled family coming together to embrace, comfort, and heal each other really appealed to me,” he said. He described his character Kim San Ha as “a child who expresses himself more through actions than words. He may seem rough on the outside, but he is warm and sensitive inside. I find the way Kim San Ha cares for his family and protects his loved ones to be truly admirable and appealing.”

family-by-choice-hwang-in-youp-1.jpg

Hwang In Youp described Kim San Ha, sharing, “He’s a friend who values actions over words, so I tried to express more through my eyes than my speech.” Hwang In Youp noted that San Ha’s difficulty with expression mirrors his own experiences. “I worked hard to fully embody the character, and I hope at least 90 percent of that comes through on screen. I genuinely like Kim San Ha,” he added, showcasing his passion for the role.

family-by-choice-hwang-in-youp-2.jpg

Hwang In Youp also shared behind-the-scenes details about filming with Jung Chaeyeon and Bae Hyeon Seong. “The three of us have similar personalities, so we were able to act comfortably together,” he said. “We respected and cared for each other, which made the filming experience very enjoyable.” His comments reflect the strong teamwork among the cast.

In closing, Hwang In Youp said, “I hope viewers will see how the assembled family members heal each other’s wounds and grow together.” He added, “Please show a lot of love for ‘Family by Choice,’ which includes elements of humanity, youth, romance, and comedy,” expressing his excitement and encouraging anticipation for the show.

family-by-choice-hwang-in-youp-3.jpg

“Family by Choice” is set to premiere on October 9 at 8:50 p.m. KST and will be available on Viki!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1690071wpp/hwang-in-youp-dishes-on-his-character-in-family-by-choice-chemistry-with-jung-chaeyeon-and-bae-hyeon-seong-and-more

Spoiler

Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Showcase Their Distinct Traits In

Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Showcase Their Distinct Traits In "Family By Choice" Posters

JTBC’s highly-anticipated drama “Family by Choice” has released new posters that introduce the personalities of the three main characters!

“Family by Choice” is a romance story that unfolds as three people who, after spending 10 years living together as a family and another 10 years apart as strangers, reunite and reconnect.

The posters features Kim San Ha (Hwang In Youp), Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon), and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) set against a backdrop of plastic model kits that represent each character. Their charming differences in expressions, smiles, and colors stand out.

Kim San Ha, known for his good looks and high grades, holds a book. Yoon Ju Won, a symbol of positivity and sweetness, presents a strawberry cake. Kang Hae Jun, an enthusiastic basketball player, carries a basketball with his initials on it. Together, these items highlight the unique personalities of the characters.

Their character posters also include hashtags that represent each character: Kim San Ha is known for his demeanor as “rough on the outside but sweet on the inside”; Yoon Ju Won is dubbed as the “happiness guardian”; Kang Hae Jun is the innocent “basketball” player.

The trio’s visuals also add to the excitement. Their youthful, fresh, and vibrant look raises anticipation for the romantic youth drama they are about to create.

family-by-choice-hwang-in-youp-poster.jp

family-by-choice-jung-chaeyeon.jpg

family-by-choice-bae-hyeon-seong.jpg

“Family by Choice” is set to premiere on October 9 at 8:50 p.m. KST and will be available on Viki!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1690414wpp/hwang-in-youp-jung-chaeyeon-and-bae-hyeon-seong-showcase-their-distinct-traits-in-family-by-choice-posters

Jung Chaeyeon Is A Cheerful Girl Who Protects What Is Precious To Her In New Drama "Family By Choice"

Sep 27, 2024
by S Kim

Jung Chaeyeon is set to reveal a new side of her through JTBC’s upcoming drama “Family by Choice”!

Jung Chaeyeon’s character Yoon Ju Won is a bright and positive character who has the ability to lift everyone’s spirits. Even when bad things happen, she quickly shakes them off. For Ju Won, the dinner table with her family tonight is more important than grand plans for the future.

Jung-Chaeyeon-02.jpg

Jung Chaeyeon shared that she felt an inexplicable attraction when she read the script for the first time. The actress reflected on her first impression of “Family by Choice” by saying, “Yoon Ju Won’s bright and cheerful personality isn’t just about being happy all the time. I felt her determination to protect something, which made me want to learn more about the character.”

Jung-Chaeyeon-01.jpg

Jung Chaeyeon also shared her experience working with Hwang In Youp and Bae Hyeon Seong who play Kim San Ha and Kang Hae Jun, respectively. She said, “Everyone’s personalities were so similar to their characters that at times, it was hard to tell if we were acting or if it was real life. We got along like siblings. We constantly brainstormed on how to make scenes more interesting, supported each other, and waited for one another during filming. I remember always laughing and having a great time when we shot scenes together,” hinting at the exceptional chemistry among the three actors.

Jung-Chaeyeon-03.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1691418wpp/jung-chaeyeon-is-a-cheerful-girl-who-protects-what-is-precious-to-her-in-new-drama-family-by-choice

Spoiler

Bae Hyeon Seong Talks About His “Family By Choice” Character, Working With Hwang In Youp And Jung Chaeyeon, And More

Bae Hyeon Seong Talks About His “Family By Choice” Character, Working With Hwang In Youp And Jung Chaeyeon, And More

Bae Hyeon Seong has shared his thoughts on his upcoming drama “Family by Choice”!

“Family by Choice” is a romance story that unfolds as three people who, after spending 10 years living together as a family and another 10 years apart as strangers, reunite and reconnect. Hwang In Youp plays the handsome Kim San Ha who doesn’t appear to be lacking in anything. After growing up with Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) like siblings, Kim San Ha leaves them only to return to them after 10 years.

Bae Hyeon Seong plays Kang Hae Jun, a character who embodies innocence. He values his family, who accepted him without sharing any blood, more than anything else. Bae Hyeon Seong will depict Kang Hae Jun’s gentle yet resilient spirit, turning pain into a bright smile while embracing life to the fullest.

Bae Hyeon Seong said, “When I first received the script and saw the word ‘family,’ I thought it would be a warm story. The character seems very bright on the surface, but I wanted to show the pain he carries inside.” He also mentioned feeling a special enthusiasm from his first encounter with “Family by Choice.”

family-by-choice-still-3.jpg

Bae Hyeon Seong, who said he feels a 50 percent connection with his character Kang Hae Jun, explained, “I intentionally tried to show a brighter side. I thought the brighter Kang Hae Jun appears, the more sympathy viewers might feel for him.”

The actor described his character Kang Hae Jun as a “human ion drink.” He explained, “He always smiles brightly, so I think he brings refreshing energy to those around him. I would be really grateful if that description could also apply to me.”

family-by-choice-still-2.jpg

Bae Hyeon Seong also discussed Kim San Ha (Hwang In Youp) and Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon), saying, “They are Hae Jun’s closest friends and family, and he has no one else like them in the world.” Regarding the actors, he added, “We naturally grew close, which helped our performances. We often improvised and joked around, making the filming enjoyable.” This highlighted the strong teamwork among the three, suggesting a warm and youthful synergy.

Bae Hyeon Seong noted that a key focus in the drama is the relationships among the three characters, which adds to the intrigue. He said, “I hope viewers enjoy watching how these three friends, who met in childhood, grow and change in their own ways over time. I appreciate your interest and support.”

family-by-choice-still-1.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1691752wpp/bae-hyeon-seong-talks-about-his-family-by-choice-character-working-with-hwang-in-youp-and-jung-chaeyeon-and-more

by Lily Alice, September 30, 2024
4 0

Bae Hyeon Seong (Gyeongseong Creature Season 2Hospital Playlist) shows a new transformation in Family by Choice.

Family by Choice is a story of three people who, despite being unrelated by blood, consider each other family and spend their teenage years together. They reunite after 10 years. The K-drama is a remake of the C-drama Go Ahead

Bae Hyeon Seong plays Kang Hae Jun, an innocent young man who cherishes the family that has embraced him despite not sharing any blood ties.

Bae Hyeon Seong stated, "When I first received the script, I thought it would be a warm story because of the word 'family' in it. I wanted to express a character that appears very bright on the surface but carries pain in his heart."

l0rA5v_2f.png

Bae Hyeon Seong revealed that his synchronization rate with the character Kang Hae Jun is 50%. "I intentionally tried to show a brighter side of myself. The brighter Hae Jun is, the more pitiful I think viewers might feel for him."

The actor also likened the character to an "ion drink", stating, "Since he is always smiling brightly, I think he will give off refreshing and bright energy to those around him. I would be really grateful if I too am described that way."

Talking about his synergy with Kim San Ha (Hwang In Youp) and Yun Ju Won (Jung Chae Yeon) he said, "I think our performances turned out better as we naturally became close. We often ad-libbed and joked around a lot, so filming was fun." 

Bae Hyeon Seong also mentioned the K-drama's highlight. "I hope viewers will enjoy watching how the three friends, who met in childhood, grow in their own unique ways amidst the changing dynamics of their relationships. I kindly ask for a lot of interest and love for the show."

Starting October 9, viewers can catch two episodes of Family by Choice every Wednesday. It will be available globally on OTT platforms such as Viu in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa; U-Next in Japan; and Rakuten Viki in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Oceania, and India. 

https://mydramalist.com/article/bae-hyeon-seong-plays-a-bright-and-innocent-character-in-family-by-choice

Hwang In-yub was once and always Family by Choice

by tccolb

New promos have arrived for JTBC’s upcoming Family by Choice, giving us another peek into the found family life with our squabbling-but-doting three siblings: Hwang In-yub (Why Her), Jung Chae-yeon (The Golden Spoon), and Bae Hyun-sung (Miraculous Brothers).

Opening with introductions to the main teenage trio, the teaser begins with the bunny-like youngest, Yoon Joo-won (Jung Chae-yeon) who can roar like a tiger but is not quite a threat. Next is the porcupine Kim San-ha (Hwang In-yub), nagging prickly about the right thing to do, while also revealing his inner sweet side. We then move onto the energetic dolphin Kang Hae-joon who is both happy-go-lucky and the crybaby of our group.

As the eldest – though not by much – it seems San-ha keeps an eye out on the other two at school, always ready to swoop in for a rescue or an offer of treats, helping to lift those frowns into smiles. But despite our characters forging bonds stronger than blood, they’ll soon be facing new life challenges as the kids come of age and leave high school behind.

Though it’s not fully explained in the sequence, the guess is that San-ha is going away somewhere for college and Joo-won expresses her disappointment – that is repeated in the captions – having innocently thought that their happy little family would live like this forever. The teaser then closes on San-ha’s hopeful promise that they’ll be together again when he returns.

Based on the hit Chinese drama Go Ahead, the Korean remake has PD Kim Seung-ho (Joseon Attorney, Twenty Five Twenty One) directing with scripts by Hong Shi-young. Slated to premiere on October 9, JTBC’s Family by Choice will be airing two episodes a week on Wednesdays and streaming internationally on Viki and Viu, depending on the region.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/09/hwang-in-yub-was-once-and-always-family-by-choice/

Watch: Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Are As Close As A Real Family In “Family By Choice”

Watch: Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Are As Close As A Real Family In “Family By Choice”

Upcoming drama “Family By Choice” has shared a highlight teaser!

Hwang In Youp will play the handsome Kim San Ha who doesn’t appear to be lacking in anything. After growing up with Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) like siblings, Kim San Ha leaves them only to return to them after 10 years.

The teaser offers a glimpse into the lives of two fathers, Yoon Jung Jae (Choi Won Young) and Kim Dae Wook (Choi Moo Sung), along with their three children—Kim San Ha, Yoon Ju Won, and Kang Hae Jun—who are not related by blood but still consider themselves family. It begins with Yoon Ju Won suggesting during a family meal that they unify their family name, believing it’s essential for her survival.

The teaser then briefly shows how the family members first met. After growing up and becoming high school students, Kim San Ha takes Yoon Ju Won to a shop, buys her a pair of shoes, and promises to buy her prettier shoes later.

As the teaser progresses, viewers are shown the challenges the family faces when Kim San Ha’s biological mother and Kang Hae Jun’s biological father return to find them. In one heartbreaking scene, Yoon Ju Won tearfully asks, “You’re saying you’ll go find your real family, both of you?”

The teaser then shows Kim San Ha returning to the family after 10 years and concludes with him confessing his feelings to Yoon Ju Won.

Watch the teaser below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1692278wpp/watch-hwang-in-youp-jung-chaeyeon-and-bae-hyeon-seong-are-as-close-as-a-real-family-in-family-by-choice

20241002080143_family-by-choice-.jpg?s=9Yoon Sang Hyun, Min Ji Ah, Ha Seo Yoon, And More Navigate Life In New Drama "Family By Choice"

Oct 02, 2024

JTBC’s highly-anticipated drama “Family by Choice” has released new stills showcasing the supporting cast!

“Family by Choice” is a romance story that unfolds as three people who, after spending 10 years living together as a family and another 10 years apart as strangers, reunite and reconnect. Hwang In Youp plays the handsome Kim San Ha who doesn’t appear to be lacking in anything. After growing up with Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) like siblings, Kim San Ha leaves them only to return to them after 10 years.

Min Ji Ah, Sung Byung Sook, Yoon Sang Hyun, Ha Seo Yoon, and Yoon Woo also bring to life a page of memories for the three young people from a found family. As they form deep connections with this unique family, the characters add warmth and energy to a touching romance.

Min Ji Ah stars as Kang Yi Hyun, the aunt of Kang Hae Jun. When her sister Kang Seo Hyun (Baek Eun Hye) unexpectedly leaves her son in Yi Hyun’s care, Yi Hyun is grateful to Yoon Jeong Jae (Choi Won Young). He is the owner of a kalguksu (Korean traditional noodle dish) restaurant and helps look after Hae Jun. Although she doesn’t raise him herself, Yi Hyun deeply cares for her nephew, and Min Ji Ah’s heartfelt performance is expected to bring warmth to the character.

family-by-choice-1.jpg

Sung Byung Sook plays the neighborhood matriarch, a woman who knows everything about her community—from how many soy sauce dishes are in each house to who isn’t recycling properly. While she often meddles in people’s affairs, her actions come from genuine concern for the villagers’ well-being. Viewers are excited to see how Seong Byeong Sook’s warm portrayal will bring comfort simply through her presence.

family-by-choice-2.jpg

Friends from Haedong High School bring a lot of fun to the lives of the three main characters. Yoon Sang Hyun plays Lee Jun Ho, who had a one-sided crush on Yoon Ju Won in high school but was brutally rejected. Ha Seo Yoon portrays Do Hee Joo, a student who stands out for her looks and academic success. Yoon Woo plays Yoon Seok Hoon, Kang Hae Jun’s closest friend and the only one he can share secrets with, adding a lively energy to the story.

Spoiler

family-by-choice-3.jpg

family-by-choice-4.jpg

family-by-choice-5.jpg

In the drama, Kim San Ha, Yoon Ju Won, and Kang Hae Jun may have different last names, but they share a strong bond of care for one another. The story features various characters who form diverse relationships, adding depth to the narrative. Audiences can look forward to meeting the lively youth of Haedong High School and the charming neighbors and cousins in Haedong Village, each contributing their unique personalities to the mix.

The stunning scenery of Haedong city, the backdrop for the story, enhances the immersive experience of this youthful romance. With its open blue sea and charming flower staircases, the city reflects the vibrant spirits of Kim San Ha, Yoon Ju Won, and Kang Hae Jun. Viewers are eager to find out whom the three will meet and what new memories they will create together.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1692276wpp/yoon-sang-hyun-min-ji-ah-ha-seo-yoon-and-more-navigate-life-in-new-drama-family-by-choice

• Like 1

News bites: October 3, 2024

by tccolb

6dbb9919-2cb3-43cf-9707-4aebc2774ea4.jpg

It’s going to be a double premiere week for JTBC with Family by Choice coming just around the corner as well, launching on October 9 in the Wednesday slot. With Choi Won-young (Hierarchy) and Choi Moo-sung (Your Honor) campaigning for this year’s best dads, grab your tissues and your hankies because the angst is looming near for our trio of siblings-but-not-siblings: Hwang In-yub (Why Her), Jung Chae-yeon (The Golden Spoon), and Bae Hyun-sung (Miraculous Brothers). [JTBC]

https://dramabeans.com/2024/10/news-bites-october-3-2024/

• Like 1

20241007071326_family-by-choice-3-.jpg?s

Watch: Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Bicker And Reconcile Like A Tight-Knit Family In “Family By Choice” Teaser

Oct 07, 2024

JTBC’s highly-anticipated drama “Family by Choice” has released a new preview teasing its first two episodes!

Hwang In Youp plays the handsome Kim San Ha who doesn’t appear to be lacking in anything. After growing up with Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) like siblings, Kim San Ha leaves them only to return to them after 10 years.

The teasers offer a glimpse into their past, starting with a childhood scene where Yoon Ju Won, Kang Hae Jun, and Kim San Ha are seen as innocent kids. The teaser features their father, Yoon Jeong Jae (Choi Won Young), meeting Kim Dae Uk (Choi Moo Sung) for the first time, setting the stage for the family dynamics that will unfold.

As the children grow closer, the scenes capture their shared experiences—moments like family meals that strengthen their bond. One particularly touching scene shows a young Kang Hae Jun wishing that Yoon Jeong Jae were his real father, a comment that stirs up feelings of anger and jealousy in young Yoon Ju Won. These childhood squabbles carry into their teenage years, where petty arguments over everyday matters highlight their evolving relationships. But despite the bickering, they always manage to resolve their conflicts, continuing their lives together with a sense of closeness and warmth that defines their unconventional family.

The teaser promises to explore the complexities of love and family as these characters navigate their intertwined destinies.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1693240wpp/watch-hwang-in-youp-jung-chaeyeon-and-bae-hyeon-seong-bicker-and-reconcile-like-a-tight-knit-family-in-family-by-choice-teaser

• Like 2

Spoiler

Hwang In Youp And Bae Hyeon Seong Come To Jung Chaeyeon's Rescue In 'Family By Choice'

Hwang In Youp And Bae Hyeon Seong Come To Jung Chaeyeon's Rescue In "Family By Choice"

Get ready for some major drama to unfold at school in the first episode of “Family by Choice”!

“Family by Choice” is a new JTBC romance drama about three people who reconnect after spending 10 years living together as a family and another 10 years living apart as strangers.

During their adolescence, Kim San Ha (Hwang In Youp), Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) are raised together by Kim San Ha’s father Kim Dae Wook (Choi Moo Sung) and Yoon Ju Won’s father (Choi Won Young).

In newly released stills from the upcoming drama, Yoon Ju Won suddenly winds up getting soaked in front of their entire high school. As all of the students look on, model student Kim San Ha and basketball player Kang Hae Jun rush to her side to protect her.

After carefully wrapping Yoon Ju Won in a jacket, both Kim San Ha and Kang Hae Jun glare fiercely at someone for daring to mess with her. Kim San Ha then drags both Yoon Ju Won and Kang Hae Jun off somewhere, piquing curiosity as to what could have happened.

Jung-Chaeyeon-Hwang-In-Youp.jpgHwang-In-Youp.jpg

Spoiler

Bae-Hyeon-Seong.jpg

Jung-Chaeyeon-Hwang-In-Youp-Bae-Hyeon-Se

“Family by Choice” premieres on October 9 at 8:50 p.m. KST and will be available to watch on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1693699wpp/hwang-in-youp-and-bae-hyeon-seong-come-to-jung-chaeyeons-rescue-in-family-by-choice

Premiere Watch: Family by Choice

by missvictrix

Time slot: Wednesdays
Broadcaster: JTBC
Genre: Family, youth, healing, romance
Episode count: 16
Global streamer: Viki/Viu

Reasons to watch: Who doesn’t love a found family, especially in dramaland? In our remake of the Chinese drama Go Ahead, two fathers (the wonderful Choi Won-young and Choi Moo-sung) adopted three not-siblings and raised them as family. Now that they’re getting older, though, Hwang In-yup, Bae Hyun-sung, and Jung Chae-yeon must now deal with ~feelings~. (I’m on board.)

TL;DR: If you’re craving some puppy cuteness with a side of angst served on top of found family with some rainbow sprinkles, this might just be your drama

https://dramabeans.com/2024/10/premiere-watch-family-by-choice/

• Like 2

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2024] Family by Choice/ A Prefabricated Family, 조립식 가족- Hwang In Yeop, Jung Chaeyeon & Bae Hyun Sung-Wed&Thu

Here are the ratings for Episode's 1 and 2! :).

'Family By Choice' Joins Ratings Race As 'Dog Knows Everything' Enjoys Boost

"Family By Choice" Joins Ratings Race As "Dog Knows Everything" Enjoys Boost

The new romance drama “Family by Choice” has premiered to a promising start!

On October 9, JTBC’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama “Family by Choice” aired its first two episodes back-to-back. According to Nielsen Korea, the first and second episodes of “Family by Choice” garnered average nationwide viewership ratings of 2.2 percent and 2.1 percent, respectively.

“Family by Choice” tells the story about three people who reconnect after spending 10 years living together as a family and another 10 years living apart as strangers. During their adolescence, Kim San Ha (Hwang In Youp), Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon) and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) are raised together by Kim San Ha’s father Kim Dae Wook (Choi Moo Sung) and Yoon Ju Won’s father (Choi Won Young).

https://www.soompi.com/article/1693835wpp/family-by-choice-joins-ratings-race-as-dog-knows-everything-enjoys-boost

Spoiler

Exclusive: Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Of 'Family By Choice' Dish On Their Group Chat, Chemistry With Real Siblings, And More

Exclusive: Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, And Bae Hyeon Seong Of "Family By Choice" Dish On Their Group Chat, Chemistry With Real Siblings, And More

Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, and Bae Hyeon Seong have joined forces for a heartwarming new drama!

A Korean remake of the C-drama “Go Ahead,” “Family by Choice” is a drama about Kim San Ha (Hwang In Youp), Yoon Ju Won (Jung Chaeyeon), and Kang Hae Jun (Bae Hyeon Seong) who are not related by blood but grew up together like siblings. After spending their entire childhood together, Kim San Ha leaves them only to return after 10 years.

Ahead of the drama’s recent premiere, the main cast members Hwang In Youp, Jung Chaeyeon, and Bae Hyeon Seong talked to Soompi to share some behind-the-scenes insight about “Family by Choice” and also reveal some fun facts about themselves.

family-by-choice-8.jpg

Read the full interview below!

What were your first impressions of the “Family by Choice” script?

Hwang In Youp: After watching the original drama “Go Ahead,” I felt that this is a great project. The story of three youths each with different narratives becoming one family, healing each other’s wounds and maturing, resonated with me.

Jung Chaeyeon: When I first read the script, I related with the characters and their stories so much to the point that I read it all the way to the end at once. It was a great script that made me think that I want to participate in this production for sure, and I expressed my desire to join right away.

Bae Hyeon Seong: When I first saw the title of this drama, I thought that it would be a warm story because it contains the word “family.” Then when I read the script, the story truly was very warm, and each of the characters healing their pain and growing really touched me. I had fun all throughout reading the script, and I think I got immersed without even realizing.

What is a memorable moment from filming that you can share?

Hwang In Youp: As revealed in a still image, there is a scene where we run through the rain. It was very cold when filming this scene because we filmed it through actual rain in the winter. But I remember laughing and talking about this scene with the other actors because it actually turned out to look warm and beautiful on screen.

Jung Chaeyeon: It is difficult to choose one because there are so many, but the scene from episode 2 where we bicker over the cotton scent is memorable to me. It is a scene we filmed when San Ha, Ju Won, and Hae Jun had gotten quite close, so it is a fun memory because we filmed while holding in a lot of laughter. Besides that, the rooftop scene and seaside scene are very memorable to me. Although filming has ended, it feels like we filmed many of the scenes just yesterday, and just thinking about them makes me smile.

Bae Hyeon Seong: Towards the beginning, there is a scene where Ju Won and Hae Jun go to San Ha’s room to comfort him. They run around and goof off more on purpose to make San Ha feel better, and we also had a lot of fun filming. The scene is more memorable to me because it especially shows the distinct characteristics of each character and their considerate feelings for each other.

240514_Family-By-Choice_PR-Still-2_17210

Who would you choose as the “moodmaker” on set?

Hwang In Youp: With no need to choose one, I think it is the three of us (Jung Chaeyeon and Bae Hyeon Seong). We have become so close to the point that we know how the others are feeling just by making eye contact, so we rely on each other a lot and give each other joy and energy. I think we have developed a very close-knit relationship.

Jung Chaeyeon: Hwang In Youp. I think Hwang In Youp lifts the atmosphere as he jokes around a lot and is someone you can rely on. The atmosphere on set becomes very calm when everyone is focused, so he was very considerate in making the other actors feel comfortable.

Bae Hyeon Seong: Chaeyeon. She is always bright and filled with laughter on set, so she gives energy to those around her. Her character Ju Won also has the same bright vibes, so she always created a positive atmosphere. Filming was more enjoyable thanks to her, and I was always thankful.

Who talks the most in the group chat?

Hwang In Youp: I think I talk the most. Because I am the eldest, I think I usually try to lead the conversation. Sometimes Chaeyeon and Hyeon Seong tease me with trendy slang that I don’t understand. I think I am following along with recent trends well thanks to them.

Jung Chaeyeon: It’s me. (laughs) I joke around a lot and chat a lot, but I think honestly everyone is talkative in our group chat. Once we start talking, 100 messages pile up quickly.

Bae Hyeon Seong: In Youp. He takes care of the little things regularly, often sending messages like, “How was it?” “Are you doing fine?” Seeing how he always keeps an eye on those around him, I think there is a lot to learn from him, and I am thankful to have worked together with him.

240920_Family-by-Choice_PR-Still-2_17270

What is your personal way of getting close with the cast members when beginning a new project?

Hwang In Youp: I think I try to get more comfortable and close with the director and actors, meeting up with them on my own time and chatting about the production, sometimes having a few drinks.

Jung Chaeyeon: My way is to approach the other actors slowly. If I engage in conversation while showing interest in the other to a point that is not burdensome, I find myself having become close to them. More than anything, working hard together on set sometimes brings us together to the point that we feel like family.

Bae Hyeon Seong: I try to spend a lot of time meeting up with the director and actors. If it is difficult to meet up due to our schedules, I at least try to keep in contact often. I think acting together is much more comfortable if we get closer before filming begins.

How much do you think you have changed from 10 years ago?

Hwang In Youp: 10 years ago, I was timid and someone who had so much difficulty talking about my dreams. I was in my 20s filled with uncertainty, blindly wondering, “Can I become the person I dream of being?” But looking back now, I think that I was at an age full of passion. If it is possible to go back to that time, I wonder how it would have been to live with a bit more ease in my heart.

Jung Chaeyeon: I think I have changed a lot since my 18-year-old self 10 years ago. My mental attitude and personality have especially changed a lot. Just 10 years ago, it was so difficult for me to present and act in front of my classmates that I always covered my face with paper. I also dreamed of becoming a singer and actor back then, but I think I also often thought, “Can I do it?” There are still moments when I feel shy or embarrassed, but I have overcome it a lot and have found my own way of doing so.

Bae Hyeon Seong: I think I have changed a lot on both the outside and inside. On the outside, my height and body both got a little bigger. (laughs) My introversion has faded a lot since 10 years ago, and I used to have difficulty with strangers, but now I work to approach people first.

Spoiler

hwang-in-youp-1.jpg

How is your relationship with your siblings in real life?

Hwang In Youp: I have a brother who is three years younger, and we are like the closest friends in the world. Sometimes we talk about our future goals or extremely personal worries and secrets that we can’t share with anyone else, and we encourage each other to move forward again. He is my best friend, and we give strength to each other.

Jung Chaeyeon: I have a sister who is two years older. We fought and quarreled a lot when we were young, but after becoming adults, she has become a valuable person to me who I can always open up to or rely on. Once in the past, there was a time when I had to be hospitalized because I got injured badly, and having to be in the hospital with a caretaker past midnight, the person that came to my mind was my sister.

Bae Hyeon Seong: I have a younger sister. I think our relationship is not extremely good or bad but somewhere in the middle. We are not loving siblings, but I don’t think we have a bad relationship either. I probably need to hear my sister’s opinion though, right? (laughs)

What have you enjoyed watching on YouTube recently?

Hwang In Youp: I am working out a lot to try bulking up these days, so I watch workout videos or listen to energetic music playlists a lot.

Jung Chaeyeon: I tend to watch a lot of Shorts, variety show clips, and vlogs, but recently I watched the 2024 Paris Olympics a lot.

Bae Hyeon Seong: I watched videos of the 2024 Paris Olympics a lot recently. The national athletes are so amazing. I cheered on our national athletes a lot, but all of the athletes who participated were so impressive, and it made me think a lot about all the time they must have spent pouring in effort.

Spoiler

jung-chaeyeon.jpg

What do you usually drink at cafes?

Hwang In Youp: Americano. I think I always enjoy drinking Americano. I drink a cup when I’m tired, and I feel reenergized when I drink a sip when the weather is hot, so I enjoy drinking it.

Jung Chaeyeon: I usually drink an iced Americano or iced latte. I get so happy when I discover a cafe with good coffee. I try to reduce my caffeine intake when filming, so I drank iced chamomile tea a lot.

Bae Hyeon Seong: I usually drink an iced Americano, but if I get tired while filming, I drink an iced vanilla latte once in a while also.

Is there any random TMI about yourself that you can share?

Hwang In Youp: I woke up at 8:40 a.m. this morning, drank a sip of water, and listened to NewJeans’ “Attention,” which is the song I enjoy listening to the most. Actually this is the song I use to wake up in the morning.

Jung Chaeyeon: I’m trying to do cardio workouts a lot, so I have been doing an hour of cardio every day. I don’t want to try the stair climber yet, so I have been walking up the stairs to my home after working out.

Bae Hyeon Seong: I went to the hair salon today and got a slight haircut!

Spoiler

bae-hyeon-seong-1.jpg

Please share a word for international fans who are looking forward to “Family by Choice”!

Hwang In Youp: To the fans who have been waiting for our drama, we are coming to greet you now. I sincerely hope that it will become an enjoyable and happy story for you. I wish for happiness and health to always be with you. I love you.

Jung Chaeyeon: Hello, this is Jung Chaeyeon who plays Yoon Ju Won. I hope the fun and energy we had on set will also be relayed to fans. Now that the extreme heat has gone and it is getting a little chilly, we will greet you with a warm story. Please tune in❤️

Bae Hyeon Seong: “Family by Choice” is filled with many warm and fun stories, so please look forward to it, and I hope you will join us until the end. Please also give Hae Jun lots of love. Thank you!

Spoiler

family-by-choice-1-1.jpg

Check out their shoutout to Soompi readers:

Spoiler

https://www.soompi.com/article/1693864wpp/exclusive-hwang-in-youp-jung-chaeyeon-and-bae-hyeon-seong-of-family-by-choice-dish-on-their-group-chat-chemistry-with-real-siblings-and-more