[Drama 2024]Uncle Samsik, 삼식이 삼촌- Song Kang Ho & Byun Yo Han

larus

April 15 2024

Teaser trailer and poster for Disney+ drama “Uncle Sam-Sik”

Uncle_Sam-Sik-tp01-1.jpeg

Teaser trailer and poster added for Disney+ drama series “Uncle Sam-Sik” starring Song Kang-Ho, Byun Yo-Han, & Lee Kyu-Hyung. The original Disney+ drama series written and directed by Shin Youn-Shick, revolves around a man with the nickname of Uncle Sam-Sik (Song Kang-Ho). Caption on the teaser poster states “I have a big plan for you.” Narration in the teaser trailer goes (0:01) Song Kang-Ho “Everyone calls me that out of love and respect. Sam-Sik and Uncle Sam-Sik. I like it so much. It’s my nickname,” (0:18) Byun Yo-Han “Minister, this is the way for Korea to survive,” (0:23) Song Kang-Ho “Your speech was impressive. Let’s meet together,” (0:31) Song Kang-Ho “When it completes, I will become an official member of Cheongwoohwe,” (0:36) anonymous female voice “Korean noble?,” (0:39) Lee Kyu-Hyung “Uncle Sam-Sik, I will make it happen,” (0:42)
Lee Kyu-Hyung “Yoon Pal-Bong, kill him,” (0:47) Song Kang-Ho “I have one talent. I can give you all,” (0:51) Byun Yo-Han “You said that you saw the national reconstruction plan,” (0:55) Song Kang-Ho “Save and kill, I can do everything,” (0:59) Byun Yo-Han “Why me?,” (1:00) Song Kang-Ho “I can see your ambition with my eyes,” (1:04) Lee Kyu-Hyung “Can you handle it?,” (1:07) Jin Ki-Joo “That person is turning San into a monster too,” (1:16)
Song Kang-Ho “Call me Uncle Sam-Sik, then I will give you food.”

“Uncle Sam-Sik” will be available to stream May 15, 2024.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Set in the early 1960’s, a story that depicts the friendship and desires of Sam-Sik (Song Kang-Ho) and Kim San (Byun Yo-Han). Kim San graduated from the Korean military academy and then went to the United States to study economics at a university. He returns to South Korea with a dream to help turn the country into an important industrial nation. Sam-Sik appears in front Kim San around this time and says that he supports his dream.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/teaser-trailer-and-poster-for-disney-drama-uncle-sam-sik

by Lily Alice, April 15, 2024
2 0

Uncle Samsik unveiled a new poster and teaser.

Uncle Samsik tells the story of Uncle Sam Sik (Song Kang Ho), who ensures three meals a day even during wartime, and an elite young man, Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who dreams of building a country where everyone lives well, striving together to achieve their dreams. The K-drama is set in the chaotic era of the 1960s. 

The poster features Uncle Sam Sik sitting opposite Kim San, piquing curiosity about the relationship between the duo. The text reads, "I have a grand plan for you."

2w7822_2f.png

The teaser commences with Uncle Sam Sik saying, "Everyone calls me that out of love and respect. Sam Sik. Uncle Sam Sik. I really like it. It's my nickname."

It then shows people trying to achieve their dreams and ambitions beginning to become entangled with each other, such as Kim San who strives to save Korea but is frustrated by the harsh reality, and Kang Sung Min (Lee Kyu Hyung), who makes a risky proposal to Uncle Sam Sik for his selfish ambition. 

Uncle Sam Sik then says to Kim San, "I have one talent. I can give you everything," suggesting a grand plan to the ambitious young man. Towards the teaser's end, Uncle Sam Sik says, "Just call me once. I'll give you food."

Disney+ will release five episodes of Uncle Samsik on May 15, followed by two episodes every week and three episodes in the final week, for a total of 16 episodes. Watch the teaser here

https://mydramalist.com/article/song-kang-ho-proposes-a-grand-plan-to-byun-yo-han-in-uncle-samsik

• larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2024]Uncle Samsik, 삼식이 삼촌- Song Kang Ho & Byun Yo Han-Wed- Premieres on May 15

Song Kang-ho gives Byun Yo-han everything in Uncle Sam-shik

by lovepark

unclesamsik_postertop2.jpg

Disney+ has dropped a new teaser and posters for its upcoming period piece Uncle Sam-shik. Starring Song Kang-ho (Cobweb) in his drama debut, the show takes place in post-war Korea during a tumultuous era of corruption and resilience. Nicknamed “Uncle Sam-shik” which means three meals a day in Korean, our titular hero played by Song explains that everyone addresses him as such out of love and respect.

The teaser then introduces the show’s other protagonist Kim San played by Byun Yo-han (Mr. Sunshine). He gives an impassioned speech about the future direction for the country, and his ideas catch the attention of Uncle Sam-shik. He approaches San with a smile and food in hopes of using the latter’s dreams to achieve his own, but in order to succeed, Uncle Sam-shik will need some help.

Enter Lee Kyu-hyung (Big Bet) as Kang Sung-min who offers to make things possible for Uncle Sam-shik. However, the price for his assistance is steep as Sung-min orders him to kill a man, and the tone of the teaser shifts. We get a glimpse at a darker Uncle Sam-shik who promises to give San everything — including the power to get rid of those who stand in his way. As San deliberates his options, he asks Uncle Sam-shik why he chose him. The reply: “I see it. Your ambitions.”

In a time of chaos reigned by hopes and greed, the world fights for control and the name that brings forth success: Uncle Sam-shik. Not everyone, though, is a fan, and Joo Yeo-jin, played by Jin Ki-joo (My Perfect Stranger), warns San that he’s turning him into a monster. Despite the signs, the devil’s deal is too sweet since all you need to do in order to get food is say his name.

Written and directed by filmmaker Shin Yeon-shik (Cassiopeia), Disney+’s Uncle Sam-shik premieres May 15 and is slated for 16 episodes.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/song-kang-ho-gives-byun-yo-han-everything-in-uncle-sam-shik/

by Lily Alice, April 17, 2024
3 0

Song Kang Ho comments on his character in Uncle Samsik.

Uncle Samsik tells the story of Uncle Sam Sik (Song Kang Ho), who ensures three meals a day even during wartime, and an elite young man, Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who dreams of building a country where everyone lives well, striving together to achieve their dreams. The K-drama is set in the chaotic era of the 1960s. 

Park Doo Chil, aka Uncle Sam Sik, played by Song Kang Ho, has the temperament of a strategist who accurately discerns people's desires, swiftly grasps situations and accordingly devises meticulous plans.

The character stills portray various aspects of Uncle Sam Sik. His warm demeanor and friendly charm, evident from his bright smile, and his scrutinizing gaze as if he's planning a strategy, offer a glimpse of his personality. 

4eDgXY_2f.jpg

Spoiler

wJ2O1g_2f.jpg

Since childhood, Park Doo Chil has paved his own path in life by any means necessary for survival. Upon meeting elite young man Kim San, who shares the same dream as him, he begins to make grand plans to make his dream come true.

1wgvYR_2f.png

Song Kang Ho remarked, "Uncle Sam Sik is a character who is hard to define in one word. He's a kind of character I've never portrayed in my films before."

He also expressed his enthusiasm for playing a new character, stating, "I approached my first drama with the attitude of a rookie, working diligently and passionately."

Disney+ will release five episodes of Uncle Samsik on May 15, followed by two episodes every week and three episodes in the final week, for a total of 16 episodes.

https://mydramalist.com/article/he-s-a-kind-of-character-i-ve-never-portrayed-in-my-films-before-song-kang-ho-comments

Song Kang Ho Is A Strategist Who Can Grasp Situations Quickly In Upcoming Drama "Uncle Samsik"

Apr 17, 2024
by E Ezeji

Upcoming Disney+ drama “Uncle Samsik” has shared new stills of Song Kang Ho!

“Uncle Samsik” is a drama that tells the story of the ambitions and bromance of two men, Uncle Samsik and Kim San, who survived the turbulent period of the early 1960s in Korea.

Even before its premiere, “Uncle Samsik” has been garnering attention both domestically and internationally for being the first-ever drama series starring actor Song Kang Ho, the first Korean male ever to win an acting award at the Cannes Film Festival. Song Kang Ho, who is known for showing unique acting transformations in each of his works, is set to showcase another side of himself in the upcoming series as he takes on the role of Park Doo Chil, a character unlike any he has ever played before.

Park Doo Chil, who is nicknamed Uncle Samsik because he managed to feed his family three meals a day even during wartime (the phrase “samsik” can mean “three meals” in Korean), is a strategist who has the ability to accurately read people’s desires, quickly assess situations, and formulate meticulous plans.

Ever since his childhood, Park Doo Chil has had to fight for his survival, using any means necessary to make ends meet. Upon meeting Kim San, an ambitious young man with dreams similar to his own (played by Byun Yo Han), he begins to make grand plans to help fulfill those dreams.

The newly released stills give a glimpse of the different sides of Uncle Samsik. In the first photo, he exudes a warm and friendly aura as he smiles brightly, while in another, he appears to be secretly strategizing his next move. In yet another photo, he is captured staring off into the distance with an inscrutable expression on his face.

uncle-samsik-4.jpg

uncle-samsik-3.jpg

Spoiler

uncle-samsik-2_91a0cd.jpg

uncle-samsik-1_928239.jpg

Commenting on his character in “Uncle Samsik,” Song Kang Ho shared, “‘Uncle Samsik’ is a character that is hard to define in one word. He’s a kind of character I have never portrayed before in my acting career.”

On how he prepared for his first-ever drama role, Song Kang Ho remarked, “I approached the role with the attitude of a rookie, learning and working diligently. I worked fiercely and passionately.”

Director Shin Yeon Shick commented, “Actor Song Kang Ho has portrayed a variety of characters in a variety of genres up until now. In ‘Uncle Samsik,’ he captured even deeper emotions and a wide variety of aspects of life.”

“Uncle Samsik” will premiere on May 15.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1655493wpp/song-kang-ho-is-a-strategist-who-can-grasp-situations-quickly-in-upcoming-drama-uncle-samsik

by Lily Alice, April 19, 2024
2 0

Uncle Samsik drops Byun Yo Han's stills. 

In the upcoming K-drama, Byun Yo Han plays Kim San, an elite young man who earned his doctorate in economics in the United States and dreams of making Korea a prosperous country where people can live without worrying about sustenance. 

pdOk7e_2f.jpg

Xdb4Zn_2f.jpg

However, his plans are thwarted in the chaotic society, leading him to despair until he encounters Uncle Sam Sik, who offers to help him achieve his dream, setting him on a new path. 

Spoiler

E5DYY5_2f.jpg

Mr. Sunshine actor Byun Yo Han expressed, "The director wrote the script as if he had lived in that era. It felt like magic. I was simply drawn to it." Talking about his character, he stated, "Kim San is someone with beliefs and ambitions, a person who dreams of changing the world starting from himself."

Bdwpp7_2f.jpg

Director Shin Yeon Shick praised Byun Yo Han, saying, "He has a passionate side and a burning desire for his acting. It suited the character of Kim San well. He poured his body and soul into this work and this character."

Disney+ will release five episodes of Uncle Samsik on May 15, followed by two episodes every week and three in the final week, for a total of 16 episodes.

https://mydramalist.com/article/byun-yo-han-plays-an-ambitious-young-man-in-uncle-samsik

Spoiler

Jin Ki Joo Transforms Into An Upright And Wise Reporter For Upcoming Drama

Jin Ki Joo Transforms Into An Upright And Wise Reporter For Upcoming Drama "Uncle Samsik"

Upcoming Disney+ drama “Uncle Samsik” has shared new stills of Jin Ki Joo!

“Uncle Samsik” is a drama that tells the story of the ambitions and bromance of two men, Uncle Samsik (Song Kang Ho) and Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who survived the turbulent period of the early 1960s in Korea.

Jin Ki Joo plays Joo Yeo Jin, who graduated at the top of her class in the department of Korean literature and helps out at the office of her father, who is a member of the National Assembly. Joo Yeo Jin is upright and wise, and she always supports and worries about her lover, Kim San.

However, when Kim San meets Uncle Samsik and embarks on a new path, Joo Yeo Jin becomes a reporter and begins to look at the world objectively.

In the newly released stills, Joo Yeo Jin exudes a mature and intelligent aura with her neat hairstyle and clothes. She appears to be staring at someone with a face full of worry and concern, making viewers curious about whom she might be watching.

jin-ki-joo-uncle-samsik-2.jpgjin-ki-joo-uncle-samsik-1.jpg

jin-ki-joo-uncle-samsik-3.jpg

Describing her character, Jin Ki Joo shared, “Joo Yeo Jin is a character with potential, a character who could become anything.” She added, “Joo Yeo Jin has nothing in common with the characters I’ve played before. You might see a different side of Jin Ki Joo that you’ve never seen before.”

Director Shin Yeon Shick commented, “Joo Yeo Jin is like a mirror that reflects the era. She is a character who looks at the era as objectively as possible and thinks about what is right. Actress Jin Ki Joo did a great job of reflecting this aspect of the character in the drama.”

“Uncle Samsik” will premiere on May 15.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1656931wpp/jin-ki-joo-transforms-into-an-upright-and-wise-reporter-for-upcoming-drama-uncle-samsik

April 30 2024

Main trailer and poster for Disney+ drama “Uncle Sam-Sik”

Uncle_Sam-Sik-maintrailerSM1.jpg

Main trailer and poster for Disney+ drama series “Uncle Sam-Sik” starring Song Kang-Ho, Byun Yo-Han, & Lee Kyu-Hyung. Caption on the main poster states “In the time of chaos, everyone had different dreams.” The main trailer starts off with a converstation between Sam-Sik (Song Kang-Ho) and Kim San (Byun Yo-Han), (0:01) Song Kang-Ho “Do you know how the world works? Spring comes, summer comes, flowers bloom and flowers fall,” (0:12) Kim San “Are you talking about the rotation and revolution of the Earth?,” (0:14) Sam-Sik “Yes. I am that kind of person.”

“Uncle Sam-Sik” first airs May 15, 2024 in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Set in the early 1960’s, a story that depicts the friendship and desires of Sam-Sik (Song Kang-Ho) and Kim San (Byun Yo-Han). Kim San graduated from the Korean military academy and then went to the United States to study economics at a university. He returns to South Korea with a dream to help turn the country into an important industrial nation. Sam-Sik appears in front Kim San around this time and says that he supports his dream.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/main-trailer-and-poster-for-disney-drama-uncle-sam-sik

Spoiler

Tiffany Young Is A Charismatic Foundation Director In New Drama

Tiffany Young Is A Charismatic Foundation Director In New Drama "Uncle Samsik"

Disney+’s upcoming drama “Uncle Samsik” has unveiled new stills of Girls’ Generation’s Tiffany!

“Uncle Samsik” is a drama that tells the story of the ambitions and bromance of two men, Park Doo Chil (Song Kang Ho) and Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who survived the turbulent period of the early 1960s in Korea.

Tiffany Young will be playing the role of Rachel Jung, the director of the Albright Foundation. Rachel Jung meets Kim San, who dreams of a national reconstruction project in Korea, and begins to take interest in his goals.

In the newly released stills, Rachel Jung approaches people with a bright and friendly smile. She also remains calm and serious as she heads toward her goals, and her clean-cut outfits and accessories give her a modern and stylish charm.

tiffany-young-3.jpegtiffany-young-2.jpegtiffany-young-1-.jpeg

Tiffany Young shared, “For Rachel Jung, rather then her chemistry with other characters, I tried to analyze and interpret the character’s psyche.” She continued, “The filming set was like a dream-like space. This is a project that made me move courageously forward with hope.”

Director Shin Yeon Sik praised, “Tiffany Young has a great grasp of language, so she gave lots of tips regarding the English lines,” sharing that he looks forward to her acting in the future as well.

“Uncle Samsik” will consist of a total of 16 episodes. The first five episodes will be released on May 15, and from then on, two episodes will be released every week until the final week when they release the last three episodes. Stay tuned!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1658575wpp/tiffany-young-is-a-charismatic-foundation-director-in-new-drama-uncle-samsik

by Lily Alice, May 2, 2024
4  0

Disney+ has unveiled the character stills for its upcoming original series Uncle Samsik, featuring Tiffany Young. 

In the K-drama, Tiffany Young portrays Rachel Jung, the director of the Albright Foundation, who handles the foundation's projects. She meets Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who dreams of transforming Korea, and begins to take an interest in his goal. 

In the stills, Tiffany Young gives a glimpse of Rachel Jung. The director of the Albright Foundation exudes professionalism, displaying a calm and friendly demeanor while maintaining a serious focus on her objectives. 

4eDEW6_2f.jpg

0wvXP7_2f.jpg

1wgJ2d_2f.jpg

About her character, Rachel Jung, Tiffany Young commented, "I focused on analyzing and interpreting the psychological aspects of the character more than her chemistry with other characters." She also expressed her passion for the project, "The filming set was like a dream. It is a work that encouraged me to march on with hope and courage." 

Director Shin Yeon Shick praised Tiffany Young, stating, "Tiffany Young has an excellent sense of language, so she gave a lot of tips on English dialogues. [She is] an actress who has as much acumen as Rachel Jung from the drama."

Disney+ will release five episodes of Uncle Samsik on May 15, followed by two episodes every week and three episodes in the final week, for a total of 16 episodes.

https://mydramalist.com/article/uncle-samsik-drops-tiffany-young-s-stills

by lo_ve, May 9, 2024
2 0

Actor No Sang Bo will be added to the confirmed cast in the much anticipated Disney+ K-drama Uncle Samsik.

On May 9, it was officially confirmed that No Sang Bo's first K-drama project for the year is Uncle Samsik

No Sang Bo made his acting debut in 2017. He is known for being part of the K-dramas The King of Tears, Lee Bang Won, Jirisan, The King's Affection, Youth of May, Strangers from Hell, and more. 

Last year, No Sang Bo appeared in the weekend K-drama Live Your Own Life. He worked alongside Uee, Ha Joon, Go Joo Won, Kim Do Yeon, Nam Sung Jin, and Lee Kwang Ki

He also made a special appearance in the Disney+ series Han River Police

Through the upcoming K-drama Uncle Samsik, actor No Sang Bo will continue solidifying his filmography.

Uncle Samsik will revolve around two men with a strong bromance named Samsik and Kim San. The K-drama will reveal the happenings they experienced during turbulent times in the early 1960s.

Director Shin Yeon Shick who is known for creating the movies CobwebCassiopeia, Dong Ju: The Portrait of a Poet,  and One Win will also be the director and screenwriter of Uncle Samsik. 

The upcoming K-drama Song Kang Ho, Byun Yo Han, Lee Kyu Hyung, Jin Ki Joo, Seo Hyun Woo, and Oh Seung Hoon will lead the series. 

There is no information yet on the character that No Sang Bo will portray in the series but it was revealed that he will be one of the characters that will give tension in the K-drama. 

Uncle Samsik is set to premiere on May 15. It will have a total of 16 episodes. Five episodes will be released on the premiere of the K-drama. Two episodes will be revealed in the next consecutive weeks.

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/no-sang-bo-confirmed-to-star-in-the-disney-original-k-drama-uncle-samsik

• 2 weeks later...
by Lily Alice, May 18, 2024
11 3

Song Kang Ho's debut K-drama, Uncle Samsikwas spotted on Disney+'s Top 10 lists in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan on May 17, the third day of its release (data from FlixPatrol). The show ranked first in Japan and South Korea.

Uncle Samsik tells the story of Uncle Sam Sik (Song Kang Ho), who ensures three meals a day even during wartime, and an elite young man, Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who dreams of building a country where everyone lives well, striving together to achieve their goals. The K-drama is set in the chaotic era of the 1960s. Alongside Song Kang Ho and Byun Yo Han, Lee Kyu Hyung, Jin Ki Joo, Oh Seung Hoon, and Tiffany Young also star in the K-drama.

rN5k0E_2f.jpg

When and where to watch the K-drama Uncle Samsik?

Episodes 6 and 7 of Uncle Samsik will air on May 22 (Wednesday). The K-drama is available to stream on Disney+.

https://mydramalist.com/article/uncle-samsik-ranks-on-disney-s-top-10-chief-detective-1958-heads-into-finale

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2024]Uncle Samsik, 삼식이 삼촌- Song Kang Ho & Byun Yo Han-Wed
  • 1 month later...
by Lily Alice, June 24, 2024
1 2

Actor Song Kang Ho expressed regret about the global performance of Uncle Samsik. On June 24, during an interview with the local reporters, Song candidly shared his thoughts on the show not achieving global success, saying, "I do feel regret."

Uncle Samsik follows uncle Sam Sik (Song Kang Ho), a man who ensures three meals a day even during wartime, and an elite young man, Kim San (Byun Yo Han), who dreams of building a country where everyone eats well and lives well, striving together to achieve their dreams. The K-drama is set in the chaotic era of the 1960s.  

Talking about the K-drama's global performance, Song said, "There were many people who were immersed in the drama, but its subject cannot be related to by global audiences. Since it was set in an era that Korean viewers knew about but had not experienced, so I think global viewers felt disconnected. This was something we fully anticipated. And there's certainly regret in that aspect. But I believe this drama, amidst the flood of sensational and superficial OTT dramas, is a serious and deep one. I've met many people who praised its depth, distinctiveness, and the approach the drama took, which can't be seen in other works. While there's regret about its success on a global level, I feel a mix of complex emotions."

eYxbjd_2f.png

Some believe that Uncle Samsik, considering its historical theme and setting, could have been more successful had it been aired on a domestic broadcaster instead of a global OTT platform like Disney+.  Regarding this, the actor commented, "I respect Disney+'s choice. Though it didn't succeed globally, it's admirable that they took such a bold step with confidence and pride in Korean content, despite the inherent risks. I'm thankful and respectful towards Disney+." 

In response to feedback that the series felt repetitive without any major developments, he said, "I'm also a human, so I sometimes feel disappointed about how much appeal these kinds of stories will have for the viewers in today's fast-paced world. Nevertheless, since we focused on the depth of the characters that you can't see in other dramas, I am relieved that we did our best in that aspect. I fully understand and anticipated such [kind of] responses."

He continued, "Of course, there's regret (about the lack of success). How could there not be? But there's also the opposite. The most important task was the attitude towards creating and participating in the work. ... It would have been wonderful if the responses were good, but I'm [always] prepared to humbly accept whatever the outcome."

Regarding the message Uncle Samsik aimed to deliver, he said, "Although Samsik is not a real person and is a fictional character from Korea's turbulent 1960s, I wanted to convey [the idea] that characters like Samsik and Kim San could exist in some corner of our lives in [modern time of] 2024 as well. I thought it was a work that could help us look into ourselves through these characters." 

There was also feedback that Samsik has become a career-defining character for the actor. Song humbly responded, "It sounds like excessive praise. Whether it's a drama or a movie, I always focus on how a character should be absorbed into the work and [accordingly] act step by step, so I'm grateful for the positive feedback. I believe my approach to any project remains the same."

2wXZXP_2f.png

https://mydramalist.com/article/song-kang-ho-shares-thoughts-on-negative-responses-to-uncle-samsik

• partyon changed the title to [Drama 2024]Uncle Samsik, 삼식이 삼촌- Song Kang Ho & Byun Yo Han